Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

`Gig is in CityWest. BDO World Darts on same weekend means no rooms available. We are staying in same spot again and going to the after party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

yop wrote: »
    `Gig is in CityWest. BDO World Darts on same weekend means no rooms available. We are staying in same spot again and going to the after party.

Its the PDC not the BDO !

Christ get your fractured competing darts organisation acronyms right before you post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Watched the game again and I'm not buying the wet ball giving us an advantage / Dublin a disadvantage. We got plenty of good ball into Aidan and Andy and both got there first on more than their fair share of occasions. However, it slipped away / bounced off them an awful lot. They've the match or beating of their men as long as they get the right kind of ball in, on a dry day they could cause serious problems for Dublin.

I'm also not buying that we played great and Dublin played well under par. We showed get intensity but we didn't play great.
    Our kickouts were a disaster in general.
    When also showed poor judgement in front of goal, Aidan took on a stupid shot, as did Cillian within the first 6 mins. Aidan also held the ball too long when Durcan would have been through in that time.

We were sloppy and so were they.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

km79 wrote: »
    Was it Philly McMahon who pretended to be head butted by o Shea last year ? Or cooper ? Can't remember but it was one of the 2 .........
    Ah here we are
    http://www.punditarena.com/gaa/adrumm/philly-mcmahon-denies-headbutting-aidan-oshea-and-diving-against-mayo/
    I'm sorry u was mixed up.he attempted to headbutt o Shea and seperatley then himself feigned injury to try and get o Shea sent off.
    Wouldn't catch a Dublin player doing that you say ?

Think you're still mixed up. McMahon was cleared of that headbutt when alternate footage emerged showing there was no actual contact of heads (http://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/philly-mcmahon-in-the-clear-as-new-footage-of-clash-with-aiden-oshea-emerges/37912). The clip in that link is too fast to see clearly but there was a much better link of the same footage doing the rounds last year which showed it in slow motion where it was very clear their heads did not actually touch. Made O'Shea's post match "yeah I was headbutted" comment look quite underhand and dishonest when it came out.

I'd imagine it's still around if you're interested in what really happened.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its the PDC not the BDO !

Christ get your fractured competing darts organisation acronyms right before you post :)

Same ****)(E different "Athletes"..... :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

DamoKen wrote: »
    Think you're still mixed up. McMahon was cleared of that headbutt when alternate footage emerged showing there was no actual contact of heads (http://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/philly-mcmahon-in-the-clear-as-new-footage-of-clash-with-aiden-oshea-emerges/37912). The clip in that link is too fast to see clearly but there was a much better link of the same footage doing the rounds last year which showed it in slow motion where it was very clear their heads did not actually touch. Made O'Shea's post match "yeah I was headbutted" comment look quite underhand and dishonest when it came out.

I'd imagine it's still around if you're interested in what really happened.

Well........it is more dishonest PM grabbing the very top of his head when there was zero contact. Clearly trying to get AOS in trouble. Falling down like an absolute gobs%te.

What happened there was McM trying to obstruct AOS to allow DC a passage through. I actually have no issue with that, its a physical game, but its the feigning injury by players a tough as nails that really angers me. Especially in that position of the field.

Not saying Mayo dont do it, just pointing out that incident.

You can slow youtube videos down to 1/4 of that speed. Its comical, not a hair on his arm touched McMahon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Well........it is more dishonest PM grabbing the very top of his head when there was zero contact. Clearly trying to get AOS in trouble. Falling down like an absolute gobs%te.

What happened there was McM trying to obstruct AOS to allow DC a passage through. I actually have no issue with that, its a physical game, but its the feigning injury by players a tough as nails that really angers me. Especially in that position of the field.

Not saying Mayo dont do it, just pointing out that incident.

You can slow youtube videos down to 1/4 of that speed. Its comical, not a hair on his arm touched McMahon!

And that was the initial point made that I responded to
    That Dublin players do not do it and to point out any incident where they did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

AOS pretended to be headbutted when he wasn't. PM pretended he was hit on the head when he wasn't. They are both dishonest, arguing about which was more dishonest is pointless, trying to put forward a Mayo or Dublin argument for or against such acts is also pointless IMO.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote:
    Decent article in the Times from Clerkin. Headline is a bit off the mark though.

It's a good article, in think a lot of it comes from the opinion that Kerry are better than Mayo. Along the lines that Dublin have Kerry's number but Kerry have Mayo's number
    This has put Mayo in a kind of third place in some people's eyes. However of there was such a things as a neutral observer they'd recognise how close the two teams are.

One thing that has often confused me though is. I don't think it's been asked much.

How come Kerry can stay the physical pace with Mayo but not Dublin yet Mayo can stay with Dublin?
    It's been that way for a few years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Cillians point to bring the match to a replay,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Much as I despise how diving or playing to the ref seems to have become part and parcel of the game, especially when carried out by my own county, there is a vast difference between unsportsmanlike behaviour on the pitch in the heat of the moment compared to post match comments when a player has had plenty of time to cool down and reflect and then quite blatantly lies about another players conduct during the game. The sh*tstorm surrounding that incident last year was unreal, both on RTE's commentary and online. McMahon's name was dragged through the mud and what did O'Shea do? Only lie and fan the flames.

Both are bang out of order but seriously, more dishonest?...

Stoner wrote: »
    How come Kerry can stay the physical pace with Mayo but not Dublin yet Mayo can stay with Dublin?

Style of play is a big factor imo. I didn't want Kerry in the final because Dublin offer a much faster paced game and that's what we react better too. React being the key word there, we're well able to go toe to toe when it's put up to us but we struggle to dictate that pace against others. That allows Kerry's football to shine through against us more often than not. Dublin dictate it to Kerry of late.

And then there's the mental side. Even in this day and age where there are psychologists a plenty. Sometimes players and counties just prefer playing some teams more than others. You'll see these in all sports, a soccer player with a favourite opposition / ground probably a good close example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

It wasn't a spoof. The word on Sunday was the Regency because of the darts. I stand corrected though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Cillians point to bring the match to a replay,

How nobody picked up on the foul of the ball in the video is unbelievable .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The referee just ignored that particular rule all day. Far more blatant instances were missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

And Cillian in the refs face as always roaring and shouting trying to have lads booked

What was that other thing the black card brought in for?

Remonstrating aggresively with an official?

you referring to when he seemed to pick up the ball??

seemed to be just about after hopping enough off the ground for him to put his hands to it if you look carefully. remember, the pitch had crevices in it at that stage of the game.

he seemed to get a minute touch of the ball with his boot also, enough to warrant a legal pick up. when the play is running that fast and an umpire cant see clearly (remember we are looking from a crows nest angle) he has to always give the player the benefit of the doubt and not blow up for something like that.

PARlance wrote:
    And then there's the mental side. Even in this day and age where there are psychologists a plenty. Sometimes players and counties just prefer playing some teams more than others. You'll see these in all sports, a soccer player with a favourite opposition / ground probably a good close example.

Dublin and Donegal.

Yet Mayo play an intense game against Donegal all the same.

Anyone notice that the mayo definition of "physio" is "Guy who comes on to help cillian to try blaggard the ref"?

Great to see Philly sending both of them packing. Zero tolerance for that muck from suppport staff. They should get no protection if they try to influence the game instead of sticking strictly to the role that allows them access to the pitch

Same with Gallagher for Donegal, running around the pitch like an eejit during play

• Advertisement

It's a good article, in think a lot of it comes from the opinion that Kerry are better than Mayo. Along the lines that Dublin have Kerry's number but Kerry have Mayo's number
    This has put Mayo in a kind of third place in some people's eyes. However of there was such a things as a neutral observer they'd recognise how close the two teams are.

One thing that has often confused me though is. I don't think it's been asked much.

I'm not sure Kerry would have beaten Mayo this year.

Since 2014, when they beat them in extra time of a replay with two of Mayo's most influential players arguing, due to a clash of heads, over which one was the real Julius Cesar, Kerry have regressed in my opinion.

JOD has failed to really get back from a string of injuries, Gooch, although unavailable in 2014, too had not been the same, the two long serving backs are older but still see game time and Donaghey had not performed much since.

Mayo have tightened up at the back and are more tactically astute.

So its not a given that Mayo would always struggle v Kerry.

So its not a given that Mayo would always struggle v Kerry.

I agree. I'm almost certain they'd beat Kerry. It was more in response to the newspaper article

Dublin and Donegal.

Yet Mayo play an intense game against Donegal all the same.

I'm not sure there's enough of a past to create much of a story vs Donegal. They beat us in the 12 final and we were a team possessed in 13.

Since 2014, when they beat them in extra time of a replay with two of Mayo's most influential players arguing, due to a clash of heads, over which one was the real Julius Cesar, Kerry have regressed in my opinion.

Ah they were blessed to beat you in 2014 of course, funny how Kerry are so lucky.

Is there a Mayo book of excuses with an entry for every all ireland?

I can see the freak own goals one has now been entered in gold lettering anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Bambi wrote: »
    Ah they were blessed to beat you in 2014 of course, funny how Kerry are so lucky.

Is there a Mayo book of excuses with an entry for every all ireland?

I can see the freak own goals one has now been entered in gold lettering anyway

Where did you come to the conclusion that the two own goals have been used as an excuse??The vast majority of Mayo supporters have not done same so your conclusion is erroneous.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Where did you come to the conclusion that the two own goals have been used as an excuse??The vast majority of Mayo supporters have not done same so your conclusion is erroneous.

Very true, the vast majority don't because they have more cop on but there's a few prize winning examples around here who keep spouting on about freak goals and all the times that overrated kerry and dublin teams somehow got off the hook against this almighty mayo unit.

Even the donegal lads don't lose the run of themselves like that and they've won the fecking thing. :D

Bambi wrote: »
    Very true, the vast majority don't because they have more cop on but there's a few prize winning examples around here who keep spouting on about freak goals and all the times that overrated kerry and dublin teams somehow got off the hook against this almighty mayo unit.

Even the donegal lads don't lose the run of themselves like that and they've won the fecking thing. :D

Not making excuses for 2014, Mayo had ample opportunity to win both games, just pointing out that a Kerry victory v Mayo would not be a given as many suggest.

Any news on tickets in Mayo or is it too early ?

Any news on tickets in Mayo or is it too early ?

The GAA has confirmed arrangements for the replay of the GAA Football All-Ireland final between Dublin and Mayo.

The match will be played at Croke Park on Saturday, October 1st with a 5pm throw-in.

Tickets for the Stands will be available for the reduced price of €60.

Admission to the Dineen/Hill16 terrace will be for the reduced price of €30.

In addition, there will be a limited number of €10 tickets available for Under 16s from the competing counties only.

There will be no tickets on general sale. Tickets will be distributed to clubs via our county committees and to 6,700 GAA Season Ticket holders from competing counties (including 1300 juveniles).

The GAA has confirmed arrangements for the replay of the GAA Football All-Ireland final between Dublin and Mayo.

The match will be played at Croke Park on Saturday, October 1st with a 5pm throw-in.

Tickets for the Stands will be available for the reduced price of €60.

Admission to the Dineen/Hill16 terrace will be for the reduced price of €30.

In addition, there will be a limited number of €10 tickets available for Under 16s from the competing counties only.

There will be no tickets on general sale. Tickets will be distributed to clubs via our county committees and to 6,700 GAA Season Ticket holders from competing counties (including 1300 juveniles).

I was talking in terms of have clubs started distributing them yet ?

Is the allocation expected to be bigger ?

Are people finding it easier or harder than the first game ?

Or is it too earlto tell ?

• Advertisement

too early to tell. Clubs won't see them until mid next week.
    Season tickets are out today.

Section 308 Row X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Hopefully it will be that bit easier without the minors and people travelling from abroad. Last time I got my ticket it was through somebody that won it in a raffle so here's to hoping it's that bit easier this time round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

seligehgit wrote: »
    Section 308 Row X.

Bring your all weathers, was in 308 LL the first day and got some mist blowing in on the breeze.

I'm in 301 CC this time around, practically in the Hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'll be on holidays and my suggestion for me to fly back and over on the day of the replay wasn't very popular. Doing it anyway.

Bring your all weathers, was in 308 LL the first day and got some mist blowing in on the breeze.

Looks like u have my seat from the last match! I was 3 seats from the hill in 301, was actually behind the end line, fkn awful seats I have to say :(:(:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Looks like u have my seat from the last match! I was 3 seats from the hill in 301, was actually behind the end line, fkn awful seats I have to say :(:(:mad::mad:

Have you beat. I was the very last seat in 301 last year in the final against Kerry.

Deflating experience taking your seat.:(

Don't care if it's spilling!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I'm seat 9, so I might be a yard inside the line.

Have some feelers out elsewhere, so if a better seat comes through I'll give my assigned ticket away.

Mail out from our club today;

As anticipated demand has far exceeded supply. Our allocation from the county board is only 22 tickets more than for last weekends drawn game. Again well over half our allocation will be terrace tickets. Demand for the replay is well in excess of the drawn game.
    The club has been offered 10 juvenile tickets that would be in lieu of 10 adult tickets and therefore would not change our total tickets.
    Due to this limited number the club has decided not to avail of the option for juvenile tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Mail out from our club today;

As anticipated demand has far exceeded supply. Our allocation from the county board is only 22 tickets more than for last weekends drawn game. Again well over half our allocation will be terrace tickets. Demand for the replay is well in excess of the drawn game.
    The club has been offered 10 juvenile tickets that would be in lieu of 10 adult tickets and therefore would not change our total tickets.
    Due to this limited number the club has decided not to avail of the option for juvenile tickets.

Senior club?

cocoman wrote: »
    Senior club?

Intermediate

Do the clubs know already what they are getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

Local club (senior) sent out info saying they'd gotten 10% more tickets (think that's 110 tickets now - stand to be corrected) but that demand was way more than for the first game. I have heard that a few other clubs are also warning demand is up as well. Maybe the Hype has finally hit!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Whitehorse

Queue to put names down in the Mitchels club last night was a lot bigger than last time. About 15-20% increase in demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yikes !
    Good sign though
    Massive support there for us last time and need the same again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Our club (junior) got sixty tickets for the drawn match , 20 less than 2013 when we were intermediate.

Not expecting a whole lot more this time.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Our club (junior) got sixty tickets for the drawn match , 20 less than 2013 when we were intermediate.

Not expecting a whole lot more this time.

60 Junior
    80 Intermediate
    100 Senior

Was the way the CB split the tickets for the first match. An extra 20 tickets per club per €1,000 raised for the CB, up to a maximum of 40 tickets.

With 8,000 (4,000 per Minor) extra tickets available, you would hope that each Club get at least another 20 tickets this time around.
    That's still only (~50 clubs times 20 =) 1,000 tickets of the 4,000 extra tickets so it could/should be more but I'm not sure we get the full allocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

The term "best supporters in the country" is bandied around a lot and sometimes given at a bunch who never have to travel more than 15 mins to a game or book acvomodation but there is no doubt now who the best supporters are. The ldrawn game could have been in Castlebar given the way Mayo fans drowned out the Dubs. Champagne supporters sunshine team against a battle hardened war horse.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement