Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I hear Gavin is laying down the law with the dubs after the game. The players wanted to do the after match but he put a halt to it and had a go at some player at a session.

There is bound to be a reaction from them, but Mayo need to go at them again and expect an improvement from them. Mayo are well capable of wining this but the performance needs to be deliver and no goals conceded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I hear Gavin is laying down the law with the dubs after the game. The players wanted to do the after match but he put a halt to it and had a go at some player at a session.

There is bound to be a reaction from them, but Mayo need to go at them again and expect an improvement from them. Mayo are well capable of wining this but the performance needs to be deliver and no goals conceded
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

interviews i assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

If McGee is talking about trips to Knock then the national media narrative has not changed in the last week.

Barry Cahill, I think that's who it was, was on Today FM the day of the match saying that he could not see anything other than a comfortable Dublin win.
    Jackie Hurley on RTE the day before said that every Dublin person she meet was confident of an easy victory.
    Now that's all fine but there has been a suggestion that the Dublin players may have been listening to too much of this type of talk.

Now this week the narrative is that they will never play as poorly again, if they listen to too much of that talk then its certainty to be Mayo's day.

But I think Dublin playing bad was not just as simple as them having a off day, Mayo's performance as a lot to do with it and as I have said here before, deep down this team do not seem to have the bite that everyone said they had.
    This is three games on the trot now were they wete supposed to win easy but have been a bit off colour.
    Hopefully it continues.

You might be right. Its hard to back up as champions.

Plenty of things to look forward to in the replay but seeing how the players react to Gavin calling them out in public is top of the list for me. First time its happened in nearly 4 years. I'd say he's asking the same questions of them that you are.

Just on the media bit. I'm adamant that stuff has no bearing on either team. The game will play out, just like the first game, exactly the same as if there were a moratorium in the media.

corny wrote: »

Plenty of things to look forward to in the replay but seeing how the players react to Gavin calling them out in public is top of the list for me. First time its happened in nearly 4 years. I'd say he's asking the same questions of them that you are.

Just on the media bit. I'm adamant that stuff has no bearing on either team. The game will play out, just like the first game, exactly the same as if there were a moratorium in the media.

when did he call them out in public? Or did I miss something. Couldn't imagine Gavin of all people doing that

• Advertisement

interviews i assume.
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Aaaaaaaand Jim Gavin and the players, have been speaking about all this, where exactly? The links to the newspapers articles, radio shows, telly programs where they said all this, would be.... :confused:

Hmmmmmm?

I have also heard that Aidan O'Shea likes to dance naked with unicorns and fairy sprites, on the beach at Keel, while slathered in baby oil, under a full moon at midnight, on mid Summers Eve. But you ain't gonna find me coming on here, to spread said rumours, unless I had verifiable links to back it up.

#Bull$hitDetectorOnHighAlert

#NoFliesOnProudDub

#PrayForThoseUnicorns

#HeavenHelpUs

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There you go. Happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's not nonsense at all. You presumed that the rumours came from interviews with Jim Gavin and/or the Dublin players. No interviews have been given by any of them, since the day of the game. If they had been, they would be all over the media and would be incredibly hard to miss. So no such verifiable quotes exist.

It's very easy to attribute non existent rumours (of the kind that takes on a life of their own) to non existent utterances by players and mgt, unless someone goes to the trouble of asking for verifiable links. I am taking that trouble. It's not nonsense at all.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It's not nonsense at all. You presumed that the rumours came from interviews with Jim Gavin and/or the Dublin players. No interviews have been given by any of them, since the day of the game. If they had been, they would be all over the media and would be incredibly hard to miss. So no such verifiable quotes exist.

It's very easy to attribute non existent rumours (of the kind that takes on a life of their own) to non existent utterances by players and mgt, unless someone goes to the trouble of asking for verifiable links. I am taking that trouble. It's not nonsense at all.

i didnt presume anything??????????/ I just presumed thats what the other poster was on about when he wrote his post. Is it that hard to understand my reply!

Maybe read my above quote where I quiet clearly rubbished the idea that Gavin would be giving any sort of public talk about the game, let alone his players.

Your issue is with the poster above who wrote the post (I havent a clue what he is on about either,) not me

Once again, to spell it out to you.

AS wrote this quote but the line in black wasnt coherent, hence CB questioned what he meant. I merely assumed AS meant something to do with "the players wanted to do after match" INTERVIEWS. Even though I hadn't a clue what AS actually was talking about.

I didnt write the bl99dy post!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd be very surprised too if either of these teams started to believe their own hype.

But going for 4 national titles in a row and 7 out of the last 8 under one manager is a huge ask.

Especially when you come up against as physical a team as Mayo at the last hurdle.

No team since '89/'90 has won back to back with the same manager and since then Armagh and Kerry (twice) have failed at the final hurdle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Something I was wondering about the last Day, has the player of the year award ever gone to someone from a losing county? The reason I ask is who would win player of the year if mayo win? Keegan? Zippy? If both of them play badly but mayo still win? Coc has been brilliant at times but maybe not as much as other years? Aos surely out of it after not playing quite so well the last day, tho did get through a mountain of work.

Obviously I nor the players will give a toss who wins the individual award, as long as they win the main one!!

Something I was wondering about the last Day, has the player of the year award ever gone to someone from a losing county? The reason I ask is who would win player of the year if mayo win? Keegan? Zippy? If both of them play badly but mayo still win? Coc has been brilliant at times but maybe not as much as other years? Aos surely out of it after not playing quite so well the last day, tho did get through a mountain of work.

Obviously I nor the players will give a toss who wins the individual award, as long as they win the main one!!

Not sure about the team that lost the final getting POTY but most recently Alan Brogan got it in 2010, Dublin lost a quarter final that year I think

To be honest I don't think there are any stand out candidates for it this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

If Dublin wins and Fenton has another decent day then it could be him. Hopefully Seamie will have something to say about that!!! Any word on Regan yet?

Also, if they're looking for a mobile midfielder to change things up (tho I know he has played wing forward a lot), maybe Coen will get a decent amount of playing time the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

naughto wrote: »
    No one asked you to post in here if u don't like it there's an unfollow button and bring your rooleyes with ya

No I think you will find I'm quite entitled to post on here, roll eyes and all.
    I'm also quite entitled to point out when people are being overly nasty and displaying behaviour and language unbecoming of a true GAA fan.

I will at all times keep it civil and impersonal.

If you don't like that, then that doesn't really concern me, that's your own issue.

PhoneMain wrote: »
    If Dublin wins and Fenton has another decent day then it could be him.

I'd agree with that, to date, if I were to pick Dublin's best player it would be him, but that all depends on whether they win or not.

From a Mayo fans point of view who would ye pick as your best so far?

If Dublin wins and Fenton has another decent day then it could be him. Hopefully Seamie will have something to say about that!!! Any word on Regan yet?

Also, if they're looking for a mobile midfielder to change things up (tho I know he has played wing forward a lot), maybe Coen will get a decent amount of playing time the next day!

I think Fenton ha it wrapped up, bar a shocker Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

One of Rochfords great achievements was getting the rain to fall on the Dublin side of the pitch and then for it to switch around to their side again for the 2nd half.....? Genius.:D:D:D

Can't see them giving it to a Dub if Dublin lose to be honest.
    I know Brogan got it in 2010 but he was head and shoulders above everyone that year, if there are no clear cut winners they normally pick from the winning team.

Kalyke wrote: »
    One of Rochfords great achievements was getting the rain to fall on the Dublin side of the pitch and then for it to switch around to their side again for the 2nd half.....? Genius.:D:D:D

Giving rain again next Saturday, no point in us Dubs turning up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

If mayo win CilLian will have had to have had a good game so he will get it IMO
    I put my paddy power free bet back on mayo to win and was not even out of the shop when I regretted not putting it all on Cillian at 8/1 to be POTY

• Advertisement

While Keegan hasnt been as good as previous years, he's still had a pretty good year.

km79 wrote: »
    If mayo win CilLian will have had to have had a good game so he will get it IMO
    I put my paddy power free bet back on mayo to win and was not even out of the shop when I regretted not putting it all on Cillian at 8/1 to be POTY

If Mayo win Precipitation will surely be a good shout to get it? The real difference. Took every Dub out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Menoetius wrote: »
    I'd agree with that, to date, if I were to pick Dublin's best player it would be him, but that all depends on whether they win or not.

From a Mayo fans point of view who would ye pick as your best so far?

I credit an awful lot of our turnaround in form to Andy Moran. I think it was mentioned that he's 20/1 for POTY which is massive odds imo. We would have to win and he would have to score something like 1-3 but stranger things have happened.

PARlance wrote: »
    I credit an awful lot of our turnaround in form to Andy Moran. I think it was mentioned that he's 20/1 for POTY which is massive odds imo. We would have to win and he would have to score something like 1-3 but stranger things have happened.

Yes if anyone of mayos big name players have a massive game and mayo they will win POTY

While Keegan hasnt been as good as previous years, he's still had a pretty good year.

100% with you on this. keegan is a top top player. He is the go to man in mayo to curb the threat and delivers. He doesn't get the limelight because he is not banging the ball over the bar. He is a 100% team player and will do whatever is required for the team. i think this guy is just super.

Who gives a bollox about POTY. Not worth a piece of piss if we don't win SAM.

Who gives a bollox about POTY. Not worth a piece of piss if we don't win SAM.

if we don't win sam it won't be one of our lads
    we will so that's why it's being discussed ;)

if we don't win sam it won't be one of our lads
    we will so that's why it's being discussed ;)

bollox. We have to win this game before any talk of POTY. I'd expect this on the dubs forum but ffs here.....

Brillian pic of keegan and connolly http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/keegans-indian-sign-on-connolly-sums-up-mayos-refusal-to-yield-35062963.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Kalyke wrote: »

And all people west of the Shannon are amphibians . Webbed feet and gills.and fair credit to Leroy for his pickpocket skills . If any of that happened to a Dublin player they would have been sentenced to hard time ( pending an appeals to the CCC)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

bollox. We have to win this game before any talk of POTY. I'd expect this on the dubs forum but ffs here.....

Brillian pic of keegan and connolly http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/keegans-indian-sign-on-connolly-sums-up-mayos-refusal-to-yield-35062963.html
    Those two will have to get a room if this gets any more intimate......................

Will you relax the cacks, I only brought it up cos I was wondering if we win Sam, who'd be a shoe in for POTY and the reason I was wondering is cos none of our boys have stood out as being outstanding all year. Dublin had a few who would have been up there for POTY until the last day.

Of course I want us to win Sam, I just let my mind drift the last day.........the nerves for this day week must be getting to you!

Not sure about the team that lost the final getting POTY but most recently Alan Brogan got it in 2010, Dublin lost a quarter final that year I think

To be honest I don't think there are any stand out candidates for it this year.

It was Bernard and Dublin lost in the semi. Alan won it the following year.

I think there are loads of stand outs this year. They're just not the usual crew and people find that hard to deal with. Picking Keegan ahead of say Harrison for example. Keegan didn't win a ball, make a tackle or do anything of note in the final. Had SOS not bailed him out twice the consensus would be he was man shamed by Connolly. Instead he's taken credit for non existent work. If we're honest POTY is as much popularity contest as it is merit based award.

Cooper, Fenton, Small & McMahon for Dublin. Andy Moran has been stand out in every game for Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

It was Bernard and Dublin lost in the semi. Alan won it the following year.

I think there are loads of stand outs this year. They're just not the usual crew and people find that hard to deal with. Picking Keegan ahead of say Harrison for example. Keegan didn't win a ball, make a tackle or do anything of note in the final. Had SOS not bailed him out twice the consensus would be he was man shamed by Connolly. Instead he's taken credit for non existent work. If we're honest POTY is as much popularity contest as it is merit based award.

Cooper, Fenton, Small & McMahon for Dublin. Andy Moran has been stand out in every game for Mayo.

Do you really not know what your talking about or are you just blinded by bitterness? Connolly has got 3 points in the teams last 4 meetings Keegan has got 4. You must remember that not only is Connolly the forward but "one of the greatest forwards of all time" I'm presuming people who praise Cowpie so highly only watch Leinster Championship matches because he does the square root of **** all in big matches. I'd stick Barrett or Vaughan on him for the replay and send Keegan up to kick 4 or 5 points.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Do you really not know what your talking about or are you just blinded by bitterness? Connolly has got 3 points in the teams last 4 meetings Keegan has got 4. You must remember that not only is Connolly the forward but "one of the greatest forwards of all time" I'm presuming people who praise Cowpie so highly only watch Leinster Championship matches because he does the square root of **** all in big matches. I'd stick Barrett or Vaughan on him for the replay and send Keegan up to kick 4 or 5 points.

You need to relax. I've nothing against Keegan and I'm only using Connolly to make the point. I could use Quinlivan if you find that less distressing.

The bit in bold though. That's what should be happening. Its what Keegan excels at and where he'd do most damage. Until someone points me toward tangible evidence of great defending (blocks, tackles, tight marking) this year I'll still maintain he's getting undeserved praise.

Dublin and Tipp games he's been average to poor and yet there's talk of All Stars and even POTY. As I say nothing against Keegan...just don't get it.

• Advertisement

Hopefully the Green and Red of Mayo will be blaring this time next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

God I know I'm really sad but the thoughts of the match are all consuming.Trying to get through a week's more work.I dream constantly of Cillian lifting Sam and then I fear another loss and a long long winter with those same dreams shattered.My nerves are shot.

One hears constantly of the wish Mayo folk most especially of a mature vintage dying happy if we can climb Everest once.I concur,as a county a victory next Saturday would result in an unprecedented outbreak of joyous emotions.

The weird thing about it is I really think we've a fighting chance of coming out of the right side.

seligehgit wrote: »
    God I know I'm really sad but the thoughts of the match are all consuming.Trying to get through a week's more work.I dream constantly of Cillian lifting Sam and then I fear another loss and a long long winter with those same dreams shattered.My nerves are shot.

One hears constantly of the wish Mayo folk most especially of a mature vintage dying happy if we can climb Everest once.I concur,as a county a victory next Saturday would result in an unprecedented outbreak of joyous emotions.

The weird thing about it is I really think we've a fighting chance of coming out of the right side.

Could not have said it better myself

This time next week
    Nirvana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I thought the wait for last Sunday was long, but the wait for a replay is absolutely torturous. All I've been doing is over-analysing what we could've done better and tiny little adjustments that could've been made that would've seen us win by even a point, and in my case the added pressure of the ticket hunt all over again doesn't make the next week any easier.

Probably for the best if I don't end up in Croker next Saturday because I doubt I'll be in any state to get home if they do it!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

You need to relax. I've nothing against Keegan and I'm only using Connolly to make the point. I could use Quinlivan if you find that less distressing.

The bit in bold though. That's what should be happening. Its what Keegan excels at and where he'd do most damage. Until someone points me toward tangible evidence of great defending (blocks, tackles, tight marking) this year I'll still maintain he's getting undeserved praise.

Dublin and Tipp games he's been average to poor and yet there's talk of All Stars and even POTY. As I say nothing against Keegan...just don't get it.

I'm very relaxed and I don't need any advice from you so don't ever tell me what I need to do again.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I'm very relaxed and I don't need any advice from you so don't ever tell me what I need to do again.

Relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Article in today's Sunday Independent,deep recognition in the team that there is much room for improvement.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/unforced-errors-giving-rochford-food-for-thought-35076129.html

Nice article to get everyone firing in all pistons. See McGee as well http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/two-of-the-lads-went-for-two-pints-because-it-was-mayo-eamon-mcgee-on-donegals-2012-final-preparation-35056967.html

They take us for granted ... that we are easy and will lose....
    I hope the players see this **** and it gives them the extra spark to bring a bit of rage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

F*ck the lot of them, let them keep thinking what they want. Biased sh*te anyway.

Mayo abu irregardless of the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

seligehgit wrote: »
    Article in today's Sunday Independent,deep recognition in the team that there is much room for improvement.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/unforced-errors-giving-rochford-food-for-thought-35076129.html

Looks like the fighting spirit is alive and strong:

'You only get respect when Sam McGuire is on the bus leaving Croke Park'

The articles and nonsense about that leaflet or what ever it is and peoples reactions to to it is cringeworthy!

Perhaps it is the most clever piece of fundraising marketing ever considering the way its tunnelling around social media at the moment!

Also, MKcMahon is a speaker at the event, hence is picture. Absolutely nothing to do with the Sam Maguire photo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

The articles and nonsense about that leaflet or what ever it is and peoples reactions to to it is cringeworthy!

Perhaps it is the most clever piece of fundraising marketing ever considering the way its tunnelling around social media at the moment!

Also, MKcMahon is a speaker at the event, hence is picture. Absolutely nothing to do with the Sam Maguire photo
    Way to spin a load of rubbish are u sure your not there pr team. If we had something like that you would hear about it for days to come

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement