Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The Kiltane Knockmore game seems to have been postponed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

seligehgit wrote: »
    Anybody heading up to McHale Park this evening? Nice to see the lads back playing club football. I'll probably head up tomorrow too.Always great to see the 3 O Shea lads togging out, ditto Robbie Hennelly.Enda Varley will see some action,young Caolon Crowe....Big Barry,Patrick Durcan,Danny Kirby,Neil Douglas and the now forgotten Richie Feeney.

As regards tomorrow's action it will be great to run the rule over Cillian,Diarmuid,Jason Gibbons,Danny Geraghty, David Clarke,Ger Cafferkey,Alex Corduff,Kevin McLoughlin and most especially young Evan Regan.

Is it true that there was no arrangements made by the County Board for the team to stay in Dublin post the replay?Absolute disgrace if true,the lads spilled their guts on the football pitch and apparently a decision was made that that they'd return home to Mayo that same night post a contest that finished at 7 in the evening.

Quite bizarre but I observed a not to be named Mayo player getting on the Maynooth inter rail train at 8 with his gear,couldn't get my head around this.Not too sure if he'd even have got a seat, the train was full.A hard one to swallow commuting on a train with all your supporters after suffering such a gut wrenching defeat.

That's untrue, they had the option of staying in The Regency or heading home!

Glad to hear that.

Breaffy 1-7 Garrymore 9 HT,decent game of football.Garrymore are a tad unlucky to be trailing if the truth be told.

FT Breaffy 2-12 Garrymore 14

A full of incident second half,crucial error by the Garrymore goalkeeper Moryn Connolly handed Breaffy their second goal,almost immediately Robbie Hennelly handed Garrymore a guilt edged opportunity with an equally poor kick out.The crossbar saved Breaffy.Robbie redeemed himself kicking a lovely 45.

Bit of a schmozzle,one red for either side.Breaffy pushed on,Conor O Shea had an excellent game for the Breaffy men,my MOTM.Kicked a few lovely scores and showed exceptionally well for the ball.Liam Irwin made a massive contribution on his introduction.Liam Devenney had a very decent game as referee,sensible with the advantage rule,not overly fussy and getting the majority of the big calls right.One of the best referees in the county.

FT Castlebar Mitchels 5-13 Aghmore 1-7

Quite a disappointing clash,never got going.Initially a poor standard of football,slow and pedantic most especially in the first half.The poor Aghmore goalkeeper Niall Walsh had a nightmare,his kickouts contributed to several of the Mitchels goals.Notable contributions from the excellent Patrick Durcan,what a prospect...Big Barry had a fine game in the middle,Shane Hopkins kicked some nice scores.Danny Kirby improved in the second half before picking up a silly black card.In truth the Mitchels were coasting,unfortunately Eamon McAndrew is overly fussy referee,rarely did he make use of the advantage rule,far too whistle happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Glad to hear that.

I read (on another site) that a few of the players brought their cars up to Dublin, as they were planning on attending the hurling the final the next day, win, lose, or draw. They needed their cars to get home again on Sunday evening. They left the cars on the outskirts of the city (at the team hotel maybe?) and traveled to the game on the team bus. There was supposed to be transport laid on for them after the game, to go and get their cars, but it fell through, leading to the players having to make their own travel arrangements. No idea if that is true or not, but if it is, it must have been pretty brutal for them alright.

Caught the tail's end of an exciting junior A chamionship semi final replay..Killala edging out a Achill by a solitary score.Unfortunately the quarter final clash between Ballintubber and Ballina did not leave up to it's billing.

Ballintubber 16 Ballina 7

Ballintubber were always comfortable in this clash,stepping up a gear whence ever threatened,far too much quality for a limited Ballina team.Excellent first half from Diarmuid O Connor,Cillian stepped up with his quota of frees,missed a couple of goal chances.Good performance from Danny Geraghty at centre back.Jason Gibbons was my MOTM,covered every blade of grass in a commanding performance.He needs to be brought back into the Mayo panel as soon as possible,I'm still mystified as to the explanation for his absence from same.We could really have done with him when we were all at sea against Dublin post Seamie's black card and Barry Moran's substitution.He has some engine.

The Ballina full back Padraig O Hora is definitely worth a look at,extremely quick,brave..needs to bulk up a tad.Alex Corduff performed well for the Stephenites out in the middle,Mikey Murray kicked 2 beautiful free kicks.Evan Regan has that X factor,kicked a couple of beautiful free kicks(McDonaldesque)and threw in a few wides.There is no doubting he has that air of confidence about himself but there is no doubting his ability and potential.Ger Cafferkey did'nt tog out.

The Breaffy midfielder Robbie Fadden was worth a mention from yesterday scoring a goal and a point just before half time to drag Breaffy back into the contest when they were in a spot of bother.

Breaffy Ballintubber should be a very tasty contest.

I know it's a bit early to be talking about the FBD and league but there appears to be a commentary evolving that we should go out and try to win it.I'd be of a mind to try some new lads out whilst been mindful of the importance of maintaining our division one status.We need to rest some of our stalwarts and freshen up the panel.

List of provisional league fixtures 2016.The game against Dublin is again under floodlights.Only 3 home games this time around.

January 31st: Cork v Mayo (2pm)
    February 6th: Mayo v Dublin (7pm)
    February 28th: Donegal v Mayo (2pm)
    March 6th: Monaghan v Mayo (2pm)
    March 13th: Mayo v Kerry (2pm)
    March 27th: Roscommon v Mayo (3pm)
    April 3rd: Mayo v Down (3pm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Regan looked quality right enough, although he would benefit greatly from a vigorous weights programme over the winter.
    The width of the crossbar stopped him from scoring one of the greatest goals ever.

It's vital this guy is kept fit and mentally tuned in to whats needed at the highest level.

A special mention to the Maor who chased my little nephew and his pals from the pitch at half time in the junior match, and again in the senior match (to a chorus of boos) when a few Ballintubber lads tried to have a kick around.

Not really the way to encourage future generations....

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Regan looked quality right enough, although he would benefit greatly from a vigorous weights programme over the winter.
    The width of the crossbar stopped him from scoring one of the greatest goals ever.

It's vital this guy is kept fit and mentally tuned in to whats needed at the highest level.

A special mention to the Maor who chased my little nephew and his pals from the pitch at half time in the junior match, and again in the senior match (to a chorus of boos) when a few Ballintubber lads tried to have a kick around.

Not really the way to encourage future generations....

Yes it would have been a wonderful goal, not unlike Çiaran McDonald's effort that crashed off the crossbar against Galway at that end many moons ago.He most definitely would benefit from a weights programme.

Yes that steward really needs to get a life,chasing our next generation of footballers off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Yes it would have been a wonderful goal, not unlike Çiaran McDonald's effort that crashed off the crossbar against Galway at that end many moons ago.He most definitely would benefit from a weights programme.

Yes that steward really needs to get a life,chasing our next generation of footballers off the pitch.
    He told them they weren't insured....

Why is it okay in Nowlan Park, Wexford Park etc etc for young lads to come onto the pitch at half time for a puckaround without helmets!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    Jason Gibbons was my MOTM,covered every blade of grass in a commanding performance.He needs to be brought back into the Mayo panel as soon as possible,I'm still mystified as to the explanation for his absence from same.We could really have done with him when we were all at sea against Dublin post Seamie's black card and Barry Moran's substitution.He has some engine.

I think he was a find last year, bad game against Kerry then he disappeared. He looked very good from what I saw of him, certainly very mobile, couldn't understand why he was not on the panel.
    I don't see much between himself and B Moran, I'd nearly lean towards him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Looks like McStay is gonna be appointed Ros manager. Disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Looks like McStay is gonna be appointed Ros manager. Disappointing

we missed the boat on him last year
    don't care what anyone says
    Roscommon are now a big danger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Vote of no confidence in Connolly and Holmes passed by the players in a secret meeting according to the Connaught Telegraph. what now?

• Advertisement

Vote of no confidence in Connolly and Holmes passed by the players in a secret meeting according to the Connaught Telegraph. what now?

Do you've a link for that?

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Do you've a link for that?

Not really, the front page of the CT is on Broadsheet.ie though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I don't see that anywhere, can we get a link to that story if it's being reported somewhere online?

I don't see that anywhere, can we get a link to that story if it's being reported somewhere online?

http://www.broadsheet.ie/

tomorrow's Connaught front page is there

Not really, the front page of the CT is on Broadsheet.ie though

No worries, we'll have to wait until tomorrow.

EDIT

CT.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Thanks very much, I'll take a look at that now and pass it onto the person I know who's interested.

It says that Cillian and Keith Higgins were Delegated to inform the managment and that and emergency county board meeting is to happen

It says that Cillian and Keith Higgins were Delegated to inform the managment and that and emergency county board meeting is to happen

A few interesting days ahead. If the majority of the players have turned on them, their jobs are untenable.

McStay going to Roscommon is also him giving The County Board the two fingers for overlooking him and Liam last year.

This could turn into a right mess but who would be surprised? Sadly, Mayo GAA loves ****ing things up from the inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

They deserve another year IMO. There's nobody available I'd want to see managing the team, and they showed they are capable of getting their tactics right at times, just not in the replay. We're not getting Jim McGuinness so leave them another year to do the job. They have enough incentive to do things right knowing they'll be legends in the county if they can pull it off next year, and there won't be a better chance for ages.

The Usual sh!tstorm from Mayo GAA alright. lets see what happens, if that report is true though I cant see how they can remain.

martyos121 wrote: »
    They deserve another year IMO. There's nobody available I'd want to see managing the team, and they showed they are capable of getting their tactics right at times, just not in the replay. We're not getting Jim McGuinness so leave them another year to do the job. They have enough incentive to do things right knowing they'll be legends in the county if they can pull it off next year, and there won't be a better chance for ages.

I disagree with that but it's neither here nor there if the players won't row in behind them.

The players deserve to be backed after what they've put in the last few seasons. If they feel that the management isn't capable of taking them any further, how can you argue with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It's true anyway. Wouldn't have had a problem with another year for the management. Loads of bad decision's have been made in semis and finals the last 25 years and nothing said.

Have no problem respecting the players vote though.

I see the Mayo news are running with the same story, must be true so? Is McStay definite for Ros?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I disagree with that but it's neither here nor there if the players won't row in behind them.

The players deserve to be backed after what they've put in the last few seasons. If they feel that the management isn't capable of taking them any further, how can you argue with them?

I just don't think the players know what the situation will be like if Holmes and Connelly are sent packing. They obviously have a major issue with them, and yeah they will get their way, but who replaces them? Who could actually bring us back to the All Ireland final in a year where the draw could be favourable to us? Horan had his chance, he did a good job, but I saw actuall progression under H&C (they got things wrong in the replay, but Dublin just went into another gear and the player were wrecked, it wasn't just their fault). Tired of seeing us take one step forward and two back. We'll win no All Ireland titles with Horan and his laissez-faire attitude towards defending.

Actually it was very strange at the quarters on Saturday and Sunday,I saw no sign of either Noel Connelly or Pat Holmes,bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

It's the lead story in the Telegraph and the Mayo News. If the players wont play for them their position is untenable really. Awkward situation with Noel's brother on the board - things could get messy if they don't agree to go. But who comes in instead? Probably fair to say the McStay to Ros story is irrelevant, no way he was going to get it anyway. Horan back? Talk of McGuinness already, but that seems pointless, he has a well paid job in Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

It's the lead story in the Telegraph and the Mayo News. If the players wont play for them their position is untenable really. Awkward situation with Noel's brother on the board - things could get messy if they don't agree to go. But who comes in instead? Probably fair to say the McStay to Ros story is irrelevant, no way he was going to get it anyway. Horan back? Talk of McGuinness already, but that seems pointless, he has a well paid job in Glasgow.

If mcguinness was to win an all Ireland with mayo, he'd probably be lauded as the greatest ever Gaelic football manager - succeed with a team that horan & Connelly / Holmes failed with. If he doesn't win an all Ireland with them, then people will say he had them a year too late. So he wouldn't be risking his reputation with taking this job, it'd be purely risk free from him! Whether he actually wants it or has the time for it though is a bigger question though.

Before the county board looks at replacements, they will have to try to understand why the players have no confidence in management. No point in replacing like for like. If it's purely a personality thing, then it'd be interesting if the county board stick by them. If it's a preparation thing, it's be interesting to see what is different under this regime. Has much of the back room team changed (I mean in terms of physios, stats guys etc.)? If it's a team selection thing, then I'd really question the players motivation as it was hard to disagree much with their team selection.

Managers should be judged by their ability to get the best out of their players. Did Connelly / Holmes do that? It's debatable but I certainly don't think they were far off from doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It's all or nothing now with this group. Interesting to see what pans out, some great legs getting slower.

Feel sorry for Noel C, knew him a long time ago and an absolute gent. Mayo through and through and this will hurt him. His slap in '96 against Meath was a classic.

However, the players get my vote, just hope it isn't 1 or 2 egos dictating to the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

What's the chance of McStay doing a u turn away from roscommon?

None at all I would think. He wouldn't drop out at this stage and the Mayo CB wouldn't take him anyway. I don't know who the right man for Mayo is, but I don't think it is him. Could be a good appointment for Roscommon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Was never a fan of the joint manager situation with the Mayo team. I think it's important to have one singular voice leading the team; there's something too cluttered about having two managers, imo. Furthermore, if the players don't support the current management, then their position is absolutely untenable, and after all, these are the lads who put in the time and make the sacrifices. They put their social lives on hold for a large part of the year, they're on strict diets, they're juggling jobs/university and family commitments with football, and they're doing it all in pursuit of an All-Ireland. They're not getting paid, they're doing it because they have a love for the game. This Mayo team have the players to win an All-Ireland. They need a management team that are up to the job too. While I'm sure the two lads at the helm at the moment are nice fellas with the best of intentions, I'm just not sure they're the right men to get the team over the line, and clearly the players feel that way too. Fair play to Keith Higgins and Cillian O'Connor for going ahead and being up front with them on behalf of the other lads.

I can't say I've any suggestions for new management. I think the boat was missed with Kevin McStay last year. If the Rossies haven't already sealed the deal, there may be time to rectify that mistake. I heard murmurings of McGuinness, but I don't know if that's just my Mayo pals and their wishful thinking (would make things very interesting though)! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Talk about shooting yourself in both Feet.

The Mayo county Board must be some bunch of latchegoes.

To have this bunch of players and not to be able to come up with a team management regime that the team are happy with is bloody awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Unwanted messy situation for Mayo by the looks of it. Will be interesting to know why the Mayo players want a change after just one year? this joint management won U-21 All Ireland for a number of these current Mayo seniors. Donie Buckley is still there from team Horan and together they did what was required this year e.g staying up in div one and reaching another semi final, taking Dublin to replay was no mean feat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

together they did what was required this year e.g staying up in div one and reaching another semi final, taking Dublin to replay was no mean feat.

Surely it's gone beyond the point of being satisfied with reaching another semifinal or feeling lucky to have pushed Dublin to a replay though? There are players on this Mayo team who aren't getting any younger and have been knocking on the door for a while now. They're probably sick of waiting for their All-Ireland at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If there is going to be a revolt let it happen, the management is untenable if the reports are true.

Personally I thought the management should get another year to continue what they started and let them judged on that.

But my god these players better put there money where their mouths are in 2016.

As I said before the path to the final is not that tough, they better get there and put in the 110% that we have failed to see them do on the big games thus far.

The ball is in the players court they better step up.

TBH outside of McGuinness who presumably is a non runner I can't see who is going push the current squad as it's constituted over the line.

What's the story with Stephen Rochford the Corofin manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

TBH outside of McGuinness who presumably is a non runner I can't see who is going push the current squad as it's constituted over the line.

What's the story with Stephen Rochford the Corofin manager?

Interesting how the headline says "management structure"

Would it be a case that they want rid of one but not the other ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I hope we don't get a situation where the county board back the management as that could get messy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Interesting how the headline says "management structure"

Would it be a case that they want rid of one but not the other ?

My thoughts as well. Being discussed on MW radio right now.

Well the rumour has long been that the issue is with Holmes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

I hope we don't get a situation where the county board back the management as that could get messy....

It would not surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Once the management have lost the dressing room that is it they have to resign . But, the specifics of what the issues are have to be laid bare.
    I was talking with someone from Corofin club two weeks ago. He said they will do well to hang on to Stephen Rochford, that he is destined for inter county management. Rochford is the obvious person to step in at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Once the management have lost the dressing room that is it they have to resign . But, the specifics of what the issues are have to be laid bare.
    I was talking with someone from Corofin club two weeks ago. He said they will do well to hang on to Stephen Rochford, that he is destined for inter county management. Rochford is the obvious person to step in at this point.

problem with that is we are back to square one
    year one of a new manager
    in my opinion this team has one big year left in them. next year. the draw is favourable. Roscommon galway getting stronger
    it has to be next year
    we dont have time for a new inexperienced intercounty manager coming in.......so who does that leave..... dare I say the players may want Horan back?

Yes I heard that the main issue was with Holmes, one of the most senior of players has not been on speaking terms with him all summer.

Quite sad in reality,Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes have been 2 great servants of the green and red down through the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

naughto wrote: »
    Plenty of rumours going around.
    Heard Higgins handed connelly a letter of no confidence in the two managers and mc Guinness name mentioned
    I'm prepared to say that is 100% not true

I immediately thought of this thread when I heard the morning sports news. :D
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Horan had his chance, he did a good job, but I saw actuall progression under H&C (they got things wrong in the replay, but Dublin just went into another gear and the player were wrecked, it wasn't just their fault). Tired of seeing us take one step forward and two back. We'll win no All Ireland titles with Horan and his laissez-faire attitude towards defending.

Right about Horan, but lets not kid ourselves that H&C were a major improvement. They got a lot wrong in the drawn match.
    They persisted with A O'Shea basically on his own up front.

Dublin should have gotten a few goals because they ripped open the Mayo defense.
    There was a sweeper system in place which was a bloody joke.

At this stage they need an Ulster influence to really make a defensive setup that doesn't leak goals.
    Unwanted messy situation for Mayo by the looks of it. Will be interesting to know why the Mayo players want a change after just one year? this joint management won U-21 All Ireland for a number of these current Mayo seniors. Donie Buckley is still there from team Horan and together they did what was required this year e.g staying up in div one and reaching another semi final, taking Dublin to replay was no mean feat.

Aim low achieve little.
    This shyte about they did what was expected or what was required drives me nuts.
    Settle for doing ok and that is what you will do.

They took over a team that had gotten to two finals already in past few years and were very unfortunate to lose to eventual champions the year before.
    And a big part of that was down to poor management.
    In fact they had the addition of a very good player and there were no major injuries to major players this year.

It looks like they never worked on a proper sweeper system all year and it was patently obvious they learned shag all from the drawn match unlike their opposite number.
    That is why another year with them would probably be a wasted year.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement