Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

you are a gas man! (exclamation mark, inclusive!)

FIN

And you're not.

What is the protocol anyway WHEN Mayo win the trophy.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Are we there yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

naughto wrote: »

Pity Andy Aidan or Cillian didn't draw a few boxes on McMahon and Cooper in th drawn game to "highlight" their tight marking
    It's beyond a joke that Keegan is being absolutely vilified for a shirt pull whilst connollys punches are just ignored
    Anyway more motivation if anymore is needed to drive this home
    I'm raging anyway !

km79 wrote: »
    Pity Andy Aidan or Cillian didn't draw a few boxes on McMahon and Cooper in th drawn game to "highlight" their tight marking
    It's beyond a joke that Keegan is being absolutely vilified for a shirt pull whilst connollys punches are just ignored
    Anyway more motivation if anymore is needed to drive this home
    I'm raging anyway !

The Dublin media/ex players is really going all out on the anti Keegan PR. No mention of the continuous thuggish behaviour of connolly or mcmahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

If people want to bury their head in the sand then so be it, Keegan does try to always bring it down to a level against Connolly. Connolly due to his temperment joins him down there. They cancel each other out so. If people read the full article and not just the headline, the point he is making is that Keegan may actually be more useful to Mayo playing football and he is right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

kilns wrote: »
    If people want to bury their head in the sand then so be it, Keegan does try to always bring it down to a level against Connolly. Connolly due to his temperment joins him down there. They cancel each other out so. If people read the full article and not just the headline, the point he is making is that Keegan may actually be more useful to Mayo playing football and he is right

You are correct of course, the headline is not representative of anything he said. He never made any call on Deegan or any other official to keep an eye on Keegan in the replay.

The Independent is a rag though. Another case of a journalist putting words in someone's mouth, effectively the journalist trying to create a story that might influence a referee. Brutal stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

No he's not he has Connolly in his pocket for how many games now you seen the damage he can do when not man marked against Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

No he's not he has Connolly in his pocket for how many games now you seen the damage he can do when not man marked against Kerry.

Keegan MIGHT get you 2/3 points in a game going forward but an unmarshalled Connolly has the potential to run riot against any team in the country. The needs justify the means.

Keep up the good work, Lee. Always enjoy his marking when watching the game, it's text book tight marking.

Any one else surprised that the Galway manager Walshe got another 3 yrs in charge never rated him as a manager to be honest.

I think the point is he doesnt have to resort to the levels he does. But i guess it is with huge respect that Mayo and Keegan have for Connolly that he goes down that road

I think the point is he doesnt have to resort to the levels he does. But i guess it is with huge respect that Mayo and Keegan have for Connolly that he goes down that road

What levels would these be ? Pulling a shirt ?
    Give me a break. Put s camera on McMahon and Cooper the next day. I'd say they stand off their men all game

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its quite laughable at this stage. We had hill-gate first where Hill16 were calling on the Dubs to take back the hills BS with tickets going to Mayo unfairly, then we had pitch gate where there was too much water on the pitch and Rock was slipping and it effected his free taken, now we have Keegan (gate doesn't suit!) where he seems to be the only man on the pitch who is been singled out. Odd when there are least another 4 or 5 who carry on the same way.

At the end of the day Mayo are only going up to make up the numbers and are given no chance, so Dublin expected to win it handy. Not sure why they are stressing out over hill/pitch/Keegan!

Strange isn't it? ;)

What levels would these be ? Pulling a shirt ?
    Give me a break. Put s camera on McMahon and Cooper the next day. I'd say they stand off their men all game
    Ah right ok, poor old innocent Lee

Why are they always picking on me

I know all supporters will be biased but if fans cant acknowledge what he does to stop Connolly is not by the book then they really are very naiive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Any one else surprised that the Galway manager Walshe got another 3 yrs in charge never rated him as a manager to be honest.

Just about deserves it I think.
    Can't help feeling it's mainly because of a lack of credible alternatives.

He can't afford any more "rabbit in the headlights" performances in what's going to be a fairly competitive Division 2 in the new year.

Promotion and an encouraging championship campaign will be expected.

yop wrote: »
    Its quite laughable at this stage. We had hill-gate first where Hill16 were calling on the Dubs to take back the hills BS with tickets going to Mayo unfairly, then we had pitch gate where there was too much water on the pitch and Rock was slipping and it effected his free taken, now we have Keegan (gate doesn't suit!) where he seems to be the only man on the pitch who is been singled out. Odd when there are least another 4 or 5 who carry on the same way.

At the end of the day Mayo are only going up to make up the numbers and are given no chance, so Dublin expected to win it handy. Not sure why they are stressing out over hill/pitch/Keegan!

Strange isn't it? ;)
    The reason why Keegan gets singled out is because he is consistent in what he does. No?

Poor Diarmuid. Only saw one of Keegan/Connolly throwing punches the last day. Which one was it?

• Advertisement

Strange isn't it? ;)

Rattled ;)

Peist2007 wrote: »

Poor Diarmuid. Only saw one of Keegan/Connolly throwing punches the last day. Which one was it?

My point exactly, Keegan drags it down to the level where it provokes Connolly, neither are innocent. But if you think Keegan is the innocent party you are very naiive. Just ask the question to yourself, out of the two of them who would benefit more from playing just football and not letting it get dragged down to a wrestling match

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Personally, not really.
    Coming from the low base they were at too winning a provincial title would have gauranteed him a further 3 years regardless.

I know all supporters will be biased but if fans cant acknowledge what he does to stop Connolly is not by the book then they really are very naiive
    And Connolly is the only footballer in the whole of Ireland to be subjected to such tight marking.
    Aidan o Shea for example is let run freely around the pitch ?
    Of course not but Connolly is the only one to CONSISTENTLY react with violence especially in high pressure games.
    Has there been an all Ireland series yet where he has not been banned/in danger of being banned ?
    Maybe if he was made take his punishment a few years back he may have learnt his lesson . Instead excuses are always made and he often becomes the victim

And Connolly is the only footballer in the whole of Ireland to be subjected to such tight marking.
    Aidan o Shea for example is let run freely around the pitch ?
    Of course not but Connolly is the only one to CONSISTENTLY react with violence especially in high pressure games.
    Has there been an all Ireland series yet where he has not been banned/in danger of being banned ?
    Maybe if he was made take his punishment a few years back he may have learnt his lesson . Instead excuses are always made and he often becomes the victim
    Connolly and OShea in terms of footballers and not even in the same league, they do receive different treatment and also have different temperments. Maybe if Mayo had a player as good as Connolly Dublin would give the same treatment. Do you think the treatment Connolly gets from Keegan is not negative and nasty? If I was a Mayo fan I would be happy with what Keegan does as it takes Dublins most talented player out of the game but at the same time realise its negative stuff.

But its a pointless argument, the diehard Mayo fans will think Keegan is innocent and die hard Dubs will think Connolly is always sinned against. When the truth is both are as bad as each other, Keegan drags it down and Connolly will meet him down there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Connolly and OShea in terms of footballers and not even in the same league, they do receive different treatment and also have different temperments. Maybe if Mayo had a player as good as Connolly Dublin would give the same treatment. Do you think the treatment Connolly gets from Keegan is not negative and nasty? If I was a Mayo fan I would be happy with what Keegan does as it takes Dublins most talented player out of the game but at the same time realise its negative stuff.

But its a pointless argument, the diehard Mayo fans will think Keegan is innocent and die hard Dubs will think Connolly is always sinned against. When the truth is both are as bad as each other, Keegan drags it down and Connolly will meet him down there

Keegan has one job, to outperform Connolly in every way, by any means, to the extent of the GAA rule book. A feat which he excels in, partly because he is an excellent footballer, and largely, because Connolly has the reasoning of a barbarian... Something said, must punch... LOL its a brilliant spectacle to watch. Keegan invokes, and Connolly reacts, all the time. Connolly,should have received bench time for his incessant fouling on Keegan, but articles like the one posted in the independent, (prior to the game) will actually influence the ref on the day.

• Advertisement

Squatman wrote: »

Keegan has one job, to outperform Connolly in every way, by any means, to the extent of the GAA rule book. A feat which he excels in, partly because he is an excellent footballer, and largely, because Connolly has the reasoning of a barbarian... Something said, must punch... LOL its a brilliant spectacle to watch. Keegan invokes, and Connolly reacts, all the time. Connolly,should have received bench time for his incessant fouling on Keegan, but articles like the one posted in the independent, (prior to the game) will actually influence the ref on the day.

I know I should not respond but I will. He goes beyond the rule book and everyone agree he gets away with it and fair play to him for it and its up to the referee to manage that. He has never outplayed Connolly however, the whole point of what Clarke was saying is that he is a very good footballer but contributes nothing on that side of things when Connolly is on the pitch. Connolly incessant fouling of Keegan? if thats the case you would have to apply the same rule to Keegan no?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The reason why Keegan gets singled out is because he is consistent in what he does. No?

He is as consistent as Cooper, Connolly, Boyle. They all play on the edge, they play the same game as Kerry in the 80's, Dublin in the 70's, Tyrone/Armagh in the 90's. They all had a certain thing about them, if lads want to be mortally shocked that Keegan plays like that and thinks he is worse than anyone else then I'm afraid you like in fairy land.
    Just because its Connolly it just seems to be an issue than Keegan has dominated him. AOS gets hammered every game, on and off the ball, yet why no massive outcry, why no ref protection?

Mayo are labelled as whingers but fup me the media and ex Dub players are getting embarrassing at this stage.

Just wish to fk it was Saturday and we could just get on with the game.

He is as consistent as Cooper, Connolly, Boyle. They all play on the edge, they play the same game as Kerry in the 80's, Dublin in the 70's, Tyrone/Armagh in the 90's. They all had a certain thing about them, if lads want to be mortally shocked that Keegan plays like that and thinks he is worse than anyone else then I'm afraid you like in fairy land.
    Just because its Connolly it just seems to be an issue than Keegan has dominated him. AOS gets hammered every game, on and off the ball, yet why no massive outcry, why no ref protection?

Mayo are labelled as whingers but fup me the media and ex Dub players are getting embarrassing at this stage.

Just wish to fk it was Saturday and we could just get on with the game.

I think Dublin fans get tired of this anti Dublin sentiment from many quarters. Its understandable for many reasons but sometimes it goes OTT.

Mayo of the last few years remind me of the Dublin team of the mid 2000s, a good team, but lacked the top quality forwards to get them over the line. That Dublin team never made the breakthrough. Maybe Mayo might do it come Saturday and I can assure you, the majority of Dublin fans will be happy for them and congratulate them if they did do it.

Like or them or not, Dublin brings alot to the GAA, they bring big exposure to the GAA, they bring in cash, which gets translated into grants for your clubs and they play the game the right way and always have. So it just annoys Dublin fans when you get real hatred towards them and some players

My point exactly, Keegan drags it down to the level where it provokes Connolly, neither are innocent. But if you think Keegan is the innocent party you are very naiive. Just ask the question to yourself, out of the two of them who would benefit more from playing just football and not letting it get dragged down to a wrestling match

Never said said Keegan was innocent for one second. The offence of striking though is quite definitive and Connolly was the party striking, i think the above is you admitting as much.

As for the question i have to ask myself, have you ever played football? If so, how do you think a rule where the more talented player (arbitrarily judged) is permitted to use violence when he/she perceives that they are being dragged down "below their level"? How do you think that would work?

As for whom would benefit more from playing just football, well that aint a cut and dried answer either. Keegan is a brilliant footballer, a complete Rolls Royce. Just because he has Connolly in his pocket he is now being redefined as a plucky scrapper. Get a grip ffs.

Trying to influence the Connolly/Keegan match-up 4 days before the match in the papers is a sign of being rattled. Hope Keegan keeps the head on Saturday (i have no doubt he will) and wait for Diarmuid to have one of his stupid moments and get himself sent off.

It's been constant since the drawn game. Great to see.

• Advertisement

Peist2007 wrote: »

Never said said Keegan was innocent for one second. The offence of striking though is quite definitive and Connolly was the party striking, i think the above is you admitting as much.

As for the question i have to ask myself, have you ever played football? If so, how do you think a rule where the more talented player (arbitrarily judged) is permitted to use violence when he/she perceives that they are being dragged down "below their level"? How do you think that would work?

As for whom would benefit more from playing just football, well that aint a cut and dried answer either. Keegan is a brilliant footballer, a complete Rolls Royce. Just because he has Connolly in his pocket he is now being redefined as a plucky scrapper. Get a grip ffs.

Trying to influence the Connolly/Keegan match-up 4 days before the match in the papers is a sign of being rattled. Hope Keegan keeps the head on Saturday (i have no doubt he will) and wait for Diarmuid to have one of his stupid moments and get himself sent off.
    Yes I have played alot of football and you should read what I said, they both get dragged down to a certain level but who instigates it, the less talented of the two as the other will have a bigger impact on the game and that is fair game if they can get away with it

Are you honestly saying Keegan is a better footballer than Connolly? If both were let play football in normal circumstances we both know who would have a bigger influence on the game.

Nobody is rattled, it is the media getting bored now with the build up until the teams are annoubnced and trying to create stories. I dont think I have heard from either camp, so you have to think everything which has been in the media with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I think Dublin fans get tired of this anti Dublin sentiment from many quarters. Its understandable for many reasons but sometimes it goes OTT.

Mayo of the last few years remind me of the Dublin team of the mid 2000s, a good team, but lacked the top quality forwards to get them over the line. That Dublin team never made the breakthrough. Maybe Mayo might do it come Saturday and I can assure you, the majority of Dublin fans will be happy for them and congratulate them if they did do it.

Like or them or not, Dublin brings alot to the GAA, they bring big exposure to the GAA, they bring in cash, which gets translated into grants for your clubs and they play the game the right way and always have. So it just annoys Dublin fans when you get real hatred towards them and some players

Criticism is not anti Dublin sentiment and certainly ot hatred,have you quoted the right post because your makes little sense in that context

Criticism is not anti Dublin sentiment and certainly ot hatred,have you quoted the right post because your makes little sense in that context
    It is in a general context, as there have been many post reflecting this

But this is Mayo forum, not point clogging it up with Dublin stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It is in a general context, as there have been many post reflecting this

But this is Mayo forum, not point clogging it up with Dublin stuff

I certainly dont see any hatred but if you want to see it, then im sure you will, regardless.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Personally, not really.
    Coming from the low base they were at too winning a provincial title would have gauranteed him a further 3 years regardless.

If they had got beat in Castlebar this yr surly he would have got the door

Whats the anti Dublin sentiment?

Sorry but our club has not got a single penny from HQ towards our new pitches, its us committee members who organise fund raisers, sell tickets, sell membership etc. SOME clubs get grants, not ever club.
    So without Dublin the GAA would be in bother financially?

Would you be implying that Connolly, Cooper, McMahon don't resort to the "dark arts" of football?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

In answer to your question...... definitely Lee Keegan. Man for man, the much better footballer, he can defend better and attack if given the freedom to do so. Scores for fun from the half back line.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    In answer to your question...... definitely Lee Keegan. Man for man, the much better footballer, he can defend better and attack if given the freedom to do so. Scores for fun from the half back line.

To be fair they are both top top players. Leroy is one of the best defenders in the country and on his day can score 3 or 4 points when needed or negate the strengths of others as he did with Cavanagh and Connolly.
    Connolly is one of a generation, he is, as Keegan, marmite, you like him or loath him, but I admire his ability to slow the game down and pick out a pass, a quality very few have. He can score of both feet also which is a great quality.

Saying one is better than the other or one drags more than the other is horsesh(te, they do what they have to do to win. They are both on a par.

Sorry but our club has not got a single penny from HQ towards our new pitches, its us committee members who organise fund raisers, sell tickets, sell membership etc. SOME clubs get grants, not ever club.
    So without Dublin the GAA would be in bother financially?

Would you be implying that Connolly, Cooper, McMahon don't resort to the "dark arts" of football?
    There is alot of it to be fair

Thats a pity about your club, I know of alot of clubs who have received funding however but I guess it gets filtered through provincial then county level

Of course they do, I never said they didnt but the argument was between Keegan and Connolly and as I said numerous times both go down to that level and we both know that its Keegan that wants it to get to that level, but again there is nothing wrong with it if it stops a top player influencing the game

RobbieRuns wrote: »

I think I will leave the forum to you guys after this comment :O

• Advertisement

There is alot of it to be fair

Thats a pity about your club, I know of alot of clubs who have received funding however but I guess it gets filtered through provincial then county level

Of course they do, I never said they didnt but the argument was between Keegan and Connolly and as I said numerous times both go down to that level and we both know that its Keegan that wants it to get to that level, but again there is nothing wrong with it if it stops a top player influencing the game

I dont agree, but thats fair enough !:)

Enjoy the game chief. May-o the best team win ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

To be fair they are both top top players. Leroy is one of the best defenders in the country and on his day can score 3 or 4 points when needed or negate the strengths of others as he did with Cavanagh and Connolly.
    Connolly is one of a generation, he is, as Keegan, marmite, you like him or loath him, but I admire his ability to slow the game down and pick out a pass, a quality very few have. He can score of both feet also which is a great quality.

Saying one is better than the other or one drags more than the other is horsesh(te, they do what they have to do to win. They are both on a par.

Couldn't have put it better. Both class players. On Keegan do you think he could play in forwards? Graham Geraghty, Conor McManus and Alan Brogan(at minor) started as half backs and developed into top inter county forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

Some of it is pretty low, I've seen Dublin people called scumbags and c**ts on this very thread.
    No doubt Mayo people have received similar elsewhere too?

The vast majority is good natured banter with each side defending the virtues of their own team versus the upcoming enemy.

Now lets get back to the "Mayo fans prefer Keegan while Dubs prefer Connolly" shocker :eek:

Menoetius wrote: »
    Some of it is pretty low, I've seen Dublin people called scumbags and c**ts on this very thread.
    No doubt Mayo people have received similar elsewhere too?

The vast majority is good natured banter with each side defending the virtues of their own team versus the upcoming enemy.

Now lets get back to the "Mayo fans prefer Keegan while Dubs prefer Connolly" shocker :eek:

Agree, but you put a keyboard in front of a chimp they'd eventually type words.
    The level of hatred on social media is embarrassing, driven by the like of Hill16 and some idiot of a Mayo Gaa "Fan" page. As long as the idiots are too pissed to even get to the game then we should be fine.

At end of the day no one is dying and we all have to get up for work next Monday.

**PS Stone is still a Scu*bag! :D When we meeting for that pint ;)

Mayo4Sam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

Agree, but you put a keyboard in front of a chimp they'd eventually type words.
    The level of hatred on social media is embarrassing, driven by the like of Hill16 and some idiot of a Mayo Gaa "Fan" page. As long as the idiots are too pissed to even get to the game then we should be fine.

At end of the day no one is dying and we all have to get up for work next Monday.

**PS Stone is still a Scu*bag! :D When we meeting for that pint ;)

Mayo4Sam :D

Well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Agreed. But I'm not getting up for work on Monday if Mayo win!

Bad news lads it looks very wet
    Sunday evening in castlebar for the homecoming celebrations
    :D

Yes I have played alot of football and you should read what I said, they both get dragged down to a certain level but who instigates it, the less talented of the two as the other will have a bigger impact on the game and that is fair game if they can get away with it

Are you honestly saying Keegan is a better footballer than Connolly? If both were let play football in normal circumstances we both know who would have a bigger influence on the game.

Nobody is rattled, it is the media getting bored now with the build up until the teams are annoubnced and trying to create stories. I dont think I have heard from either camp, so you have to think everything which has been in the media with a pinch of salt

But why do you assume that Keegan is the sole instigator? Connolly seems to be giving as good as he gets. In fact, Connolly is the common denominator here. Unless you can point me to Keegan in other games doing the same to other players then i think you may need to start looking closer to home.

Keegan has cleaned Connolly out 4 games in a row now. Keegan will go down as one of Mayo's greatest ever players. "If both were let play in normal circumstances" is a real cop out and a childish argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Bad news lads it looks very wet
    Sunday evening in castlebar for the homecoming celebrations
    :D

Forecast at the present time is for some showers on Saturday,tad windy too.Still time for a rainfront to come yet!:D:pac:

• Advertisement

http://twitter.com/edmcgreal/status/780812362735640576
    Very good piece on Keegan connolly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement