Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

yop wrote: »
    Agree, it was a sly move by Irish Life to glean some free advertising via the various media outlets and the reaction to it is probably what they hoped for.
    There are a few Sam McGuires doing the rounds, so they will have one of those.

So breath in easy and see behind the free marketing ploy! :)

Maybe Philly McMahon has this in mind if Dublin lose

http://www.hirethesam.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

kilns wrote: »
    It is in a general context, as there have been many post reflecting this

But this is Mayo forum, not point clogging it up with Dublin stuff

No....Only Connolly stuff:rolleyes:images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHjSrK4JKYQHA-3_nP2QNSo5ArwnPzmBiIVzNYy01fD9juHym1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

yop wrote: »
    Agree, but you put a keyboard in front of a chimp they'd eventually type words.
    The level of hatred on social media is embarrassing, driven by the like of Hill16 and some idiot of a Mayo Gaa "Fan" page. As long as the idiots are too pissed to even get to the game then we should be fine.

At end of the day no one is dying and we all have to get up for work next Monday.

**PS Stone is still a Scu*bag! :D When we meeting for that pint ;)

Mayo4Sam :D

Work next Monday not a chance withthe homecoming with Sam Sunday night there will be pints galore to be drank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

I know I should not respond but I will. He goes beyond the rule book and everyone agree he gets away with it and fair play to him for it and its up to the referee to manage that. He has never outplayed Connolly however, the whole point of what Clarke was saying is that he is a very good footballer but contributes nothing on that side of things when Connolly is on the pitch. Connolly incessant fouling of Keegan? if thats the case you would have to apply the same rule to Keegan no?

#Eh no, Statistics show, that keegan has outscored Connolly in all 5 previous games combined. Terms like dominated, and b1tchwhipped should be used more to describe this....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

What have dublin and England fans got in common....they will both be saying goodbye to big sam this week.ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

no harm in dreaming mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sure wasn't leeroy blaggarding Sean Cavanagh the entire quarter final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Bambi wrote: »
    Sure wasn't leeroy blaggarding Sean Cavanagh the entire quarter final.

and didn't he do a fine bloody job!! 9 touches for SC the whole game before he got so frustrated he got sent off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Yes I have played alot of football and you should read what I said, they both get dragged down to a certain level but who instigates it, the less talented of the two as the other will have a bigger impact on the game and that is fair game if they can get away with it

Are you honestly saying Keegan is a better footballer than Connolly? If both were let play football in normal circumstances we both know who would have a bigger influence on the game.

Nobody is rattled, it is the media getting bored now with the build up until the teams are annoubnced and trying to create stories. I dont think I have heard from either camp, so you have to think everything which has been in the media with a pinch of salt

But why do you assume that Keegan is the sole instigator? Connolly seems to be giving as good as he gets. In fact, Connolly is the common denominator here. Unless you can point me to Keegan in other games doing the same to other players then i think you may need to start looking closer to home.

Keegan has cleaned Connolly out 4 games in a row now. Keegan will go down as one of Mayo's greatest ever players. "If both were let play in normal circumstances" is a real cop out and a childish argument.
    You dont get it do you. I know your biased opinion will never change and thats ok. I have always said that Connolly has the temperment that gets dragged into this kind of thing, Keegan knows that and therefore drags him down and distracts him from his game, when concentrating on his game he is without question the most talented footballer in Ireland and would have a huge influence on the match.

Good luck for Saturday and I hope you can be gracious in either victory or defeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

I hope you can be gracious in either victory or defeat

I get the feeling this place will be best avoided next week whichever side wins :eek:

Menoetius wrote: »
    I get the feeling this place will be best avoided next week whichever side wins :eek:
    Next week.? Maybe this week too.

Kalyke wrote: »
    Next week.? Maybe this week too.

Yep, time to hibernate till the league starts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

You dont get it do you. I know your biased opinion will never change and thats ok. I have always said that Connolly has the temperment that gets dragged into this kind of thing, Keegan knows that and therefore drags him down and distracts him from his game, when concentrating on his game he is without question the most talented footballer in Ireland and would have a huge influence on the match.

Good luck for Saturday and I hope you can be gracious in either victory or defeat

Connolly doesn't need to be 'dragged into' anything.

In that O'Byrne Cup game against Kildare, who dragged Dermo into sliding knee first into the Kildare lad's head? A Westmeath lad this year rubbed his hair - is that sufficient excuse for how Dermo reacted? Or was that Keegan's fault too? What about the sending off against Donegal a couple of years ago, that someone else's fault too?

Can you point me to any similar instances from Lee Keegan?

You keep blaming Keegan, and keep on ignoring the one major flaw in Dermo's game as if it's someone else's fault.

Blud wrote: »

In that O'Byrne Cup game against Kildare, who dragged Dermo into sliding knee first into the Kildare lad's head? A Westmeath lad this year rubbed his hair - is that sufficient excuse for how Dermo reacted? Or was that Keegan's fault too? What about the sending off against Donegal a couple of years ago, that someone else's fault too?

You keep blaming Keegan, and keep on ignoring the one major flaw in Dermo's game as if it's someone else's fault.
    This is getting tiring, nobody denies Connollys bad streak

But ok because this is a Mayo forum, I will agree that Keegan goes out with no intent but only to play football and big bad Dermot wants to stop Lee playing his innocent brand of football

As i said I hope Saturday is a good clean game and may the best team win and the players get to show their football skills and not grappling skills

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Good ladeen. You'll be back in here Monday completely ignoring Connolly inevitably using his fists again. Trust me, i get it and you loud and clear. Go dry your eyes.

Looks like a dry cold day on Saturday

http://www.rte.ie/weather/

All you have to do is look at my comments after the 2013 final on this site to get the answer to that. I wont be offering anything to one-eyed eejits such as yourself though ;)

Blud wrote: »

None of it is Dermo's fault. We need to let Dermo play in a vacuum so he doesnt get vexed and performs to his absolute maximum. That also extends to excessive ruffling of Dermo's hair - he will simply not stand for any hair ruffling. If we could extend the vacuum to include wobbly Dean Rock's freetaking that would be most appreciated also.

There's two of them in it simple as that.

Mayo fans will defend their own, and us Dubs will do the same.

This whole Keegan v Connolly thing has been done to death at this stage, no matter how clever the insult, nobody will make a point about them that hasn't been made already.

• Advertisement

All you have to do is look at my comments after the 2013 final on this site to get the answer to that. I wont be offering anything to one-eyed eejits such as yourself though ;)
    Grow up

There's two of them in it simple as that.

Mayo fans will defend their own, and us Dubs will do the same.

This whole Keegan v Connolly thing has been done to death at this stage, no matter how clever the insult, nobody will make a point about them that hasn't been made already.

No one in Mayo trying to influence the referee before the weekend though. To think of the cheek of Ciaran Whelan moaning about dirty play when his assault on the unwitting McGarrity in 2006 was one of the most cowardly hits i have ever seen on a pitch.

Grow up

Talk seems to have left you since you were asked to point out examples of Keegan pulling and dragging against other teams. Wouldnt be hard to find a medley of Connolly using his fists against opposing players from other counties. Care to provide some examples as requested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Can we just leave the Connolly Keegan stuff now
    It's beyond boring
    2 yellows early on guaranteed
    Are we expecting any changes for mayo ?

No one in Mayo trying to influence the referee before the weekend though. To think of the cheek of Ciaran Whelan moaning about dirty play when his assault on the unwitting McGarrity in 2006 was one of the most cowardly hits i have ever seen on a pitch.

One mans "opinion" is another mans "trying to influence the referee".

Deegan is a good ref and I'm sure he is above doing what the papers tell him to do either way.

As I said, there's two of them in it, there probably will be again on Saturday, you will blame Connolly and we will blame Keegan.

That won't change so let's move on ;)

Grow up

Talk seems to have left you since you were asked to point out examples of Keegan pulling and dragging against other teams. Wouldnt be hard to find a medley of Connolly using his fists against opposing players from other counties. Care to provide some examples as requested?
    No, because there is no point responding to someone like you and your childish views

One mans "opinion" is another mans "trying to influence the referee".

Deegan is a good ref and I'm sure he is above doing what the papers tell him to do either way.

As I said, there's two of them in it, there probably will be again on Saturday, you will blame Connolly and we will blame Keegan.

That won't change so let's move on ;)

Agreed.

No, because there is no point responding to someone like you and your childish views

Childish in asking you to back up your crap? Pick up the ball and go home if you like, the refuge of a man with no answers.

Please make it stop
    Mayo team
    Any predicted changes ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So what are people’s thoughts on Mayo’s chances in the game itself?

The closer we get to it the more nervous I get.

Even though Mayo did not leave it behind as such on the day I still get the feeling that it may have been a missed chance.

Look at least year’s SF, I was confident going into that and Dublin just opened up on them in the end, the fear is that we will have the same again.

I think a lot of Dublin’s bad play was a result of Mayo’s good defending and intensity, but can Mayo reproduce that good defending and intensity.

Mayo only had one half of a goal chance in the first game, but Dublin produced at least 3 or 4 good ones and scored 2.

The flip side is that Dublin could be just not as good as people make them out to be, as I have said before they look more like the lethargic 2012 team that ones that came since. Donegal gave them a bit of a game but were never good enough to beat them, Kerry gave them more of a game but did not have the legs to beat them, then Mayo gave them a really tough game and forced them to play another.

Do Dublin have it in them for another tough game, winning 4 national titles in a row and 7 out of the last 8 is a huge task, maybe these guys just don’t have it in them to pull it off.

Dublin are not playing with the same flair as they once did, is it because they are tired or is it because they have been told not to.

I just hope that Mayo are as primed and as focused as they can be, that everyone knows their job and does it to the highest level they can, and that the side-line are ready for every scenario that Dublin may throw out
    That’s all we can ask for I suppose

km79 wrote: »
    Please make it stop
    Mayo team
    Any predicted changes ?

No changes
    Quicker hook for SOS if his game deteriorates.

No changes

Yes I agree
    I think we have lost a slight advantage in that our team lineup was so hard to predict prior to first game and dublins quite easy
    Now shoe is on the other foot
    If Dillon and Regan are both out we have very very limited attacking options off the bench

Dublin are not playing with the same flair as they once did, is it because they are tired or is it because they have been told not to.

The 2014 semi final changed a lot about how Dublin approach games.
    A lot less reckless abandon and a lot more control.

I can easily see this going into the last minute or two level again.
    Only then will we see if the last day was a blip for Dublin or if they really are a tired team.

Both teams have been written off for the replay on here, both teams are very much in with a chance.

Currently giving a dry evening though so advantage Dublin ;)

No changes

I'd drop Seamus O'Shea. His wastefulness in possession is a common theme not confined to the last day. He's been giving away stupid ball on a consistent basis for a few years now. Those small margins will be what makes the difference. I would bring in Barrett and move Vaughan to midfield.

I'd drop Seamus O'Shea. His wastefulness in possession is a common theme not confined to the last day. He's been giving away stupid ball on a consistent basis for a few years now. Those small margins will be what makes the difference. I would bring in Barrett and move Vaughan to midfield.

Vaughan was more or less midfield the last day
    I think our options are limited enough now with possible injuries TBH
    This has me nervous

• Advertisement

Il stop you there, he had an immense first half, his dispossession's and blocks were excellent. It wasnt until the 2nd half that he faltered

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

So what are people’s thoughts on Mayo’s chances in the game itself?

The closer we get to it the more nervous I get.

Even though Mayo did not leave it behind as such on the day I still get the feeling that it may have been a missed chance.

Look at least year’s SF, I was confident going into that and Dublin just opened up on them in the end, the fear is that we will have the same again.

I think a lot of Dublin’s bad play was a result of Mayo’s good defending and intensity, but can Mayo reproduce that good defending and intensity.

Mayo only had one half of a goal chance in the first game, but Dublin produced at least 3 or 4 good ones and scored 2.

The flip side is that Dublin could be just not as good as people make them out to be, as I have said before they look more like the lethargic 2012 team that ones that came since. Donegal gave them a bit of a game but were never good enough to beat them, Kerry gave them more of a game but did not have the legs to beat them, then Mayo gave them a really tough game and forced them to play another.

Do Dublin have it in them for another tough game, winning 4 national titles in a row and 7 out of the last 8 is a huge task, maybe these guys just don’t have it in them to pull it off.

I just hope that Mayo are as primed and as focused as they can be, that everyone knows their job and does it to the highest level they can, and that the side-line are ready for every scenario that Dublin may throw out
    That’s all we can ask for I suppose

I think they can bring the same intensity, maybe even more, and that could be the difference. You're spot on about Dublin's sub-par performance the last day; it didn't happen in a vacuum, Mayo forced them into poor option taking a lot of the time. Dublin aren't exactly running on fumes, but there's no denying they're not at the same level they were last year.

Anyway, I backed Mayo to win by 1-3 points @5/1 two weeks ago, will be doing the same @4/1 this time round.

Squatman wrote: »
    Il stop you there, he had an immense first half, his dispossession's and blocks were excellent. It wasnt until the 2nd half that he faltered

But falter he did and cannot be trusted in possession. Twice we got back level and had momentum only for Seamie to blow possession which directly led to scores. If it was an isolated occurrence then fair enough but its been happening with O'Shea consistently.

He also regularly kicks mindlessly stupid ball into the forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Keegan grabbed Michael Lundy by neck before throwing him to ground against Galway last year before the ball was thrown in. Red carded for 2 yellows also grabbed Damien Comer in a headlock. Sent off against Kerry 2014 for kicking out at Donnchadh Walsh albeit a very soft red card. Grabbed Diarmuid Connolly pulled by the head to ground in last year semi,was a blatant black card. He got yellow Connolly deservingly get red. Pulled Sean Cavanagh to the ground in 1st half against Tyrone, no action. 2 players were booked at start of second half when Cavanagh pushed Keegan. Committed 4 yellow card offences against Tipperary and lucky to be still on field. Like the best players Keegan plays on the edge and has been getting away with it for a while. We have it with Cooper, McMahon, Connolly and Bastick all with history of poor discipline are all marked men with referees now. He wont but put off Sunday but further done the line his reputation will go against him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Childish in asking you to back up your crap? Pick up the ball and go home if you like, the refuge of a man with no answers.

Well he has answered you, will you ever let it go now and stop embarrassing yourself.

• Advertisement

But falter he did and cannot be trusted in possession. Twice we got back level and had momentum only for Seamie to blow possession which directly led to scores. If it was an isolated occurrence then fair enough but its been happening with O'Shea consistently.

He also regularly kicks mindlessly stupid ball into the forwards.

My point was that hes game fit for 40 mins, the mistakes you're highlighting to the best of my recollection were not throughout the game, but moreso when he is fatigued - which is probably happening earlier in games anymore, particularly games of that intensity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

No changes

to be fair to SOS, at the game I thought he was not good. I felt DOC didn't play well either but I looked over the game and these two guys did alot of tracking so I personally don't think SOS played as bad as I initially thought. He had a bit of a howler with some passes before he came off.

I think there will be feck all in it again. I am expecting a back lash from the dubs so they will play better but so will Mayo as I though the four week off was alot and they looked a bit off in the passing and ball watching

They only fear I have is that the performance will not be there and we will loose by a couple of pints. I thought they could have cancelled the after game party as I think this could lead to a false sense of reality.

Anyway they have been around the block long enough to know this and they have got to perform.

to be fair to SOS, at the game I thought he was not good. I felt DOC didn't play well either but I looked over the game and these two guys did alot of tracking so I personally don't think SOS played as bad as I initially thought. He had a bit of a howler with some passes before he came off.

I think there will be feck all in it again. I am expecting a back lash from the dubs so they will play better but so will Mayo as I though the four week off was alot and they looked a bit off in the passing and ball watching

They only fear I have is that the performance will not be there and we will loose by a couple of pints. I thought they could have cancelled the after game party as I think this could lead to a false sense of reality.

Anyway they have been around the block long enough to know this and they have got to perform.

Did they not cancel the afterparty and come straight home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

it wasn't an after-game party for the players in any way or form. It was a banquet organised by the county board and had cost attendees at least 600 or more for tables. They couldnt cancel it and I am sure the players went about their way and had their meal and left early in the night.
    2 weeks to recover and important after any game to wind down, especially an All Ireland Final where the whole lead up is intense and you have to start that two week intensive preparation the next evening.
    I doubt they were drinking or celebrating anything, but they were staying overnight in The Citywest so they were hardly going to be heading to bed without any supper or kicking balls in the car park!!

I think Rochford made a short speach but it was only fair that the team made an appearance for those who had donated such large amounts

Squatman wrote: »
    Did they not cancel the afterparty and come straight home?

The players were staying there and had a planned recovery session up the pool the following morning
    So they went there to eat sleep and recover
    Much better than hopping on a bus home like they had to do after drawn game last year

When did Mayo last win a replay, of any sort ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

it wasn't an after-game party for the players in any way or form. It was a banquet organised by the county board and had cost attendees at least 600 or more for tables. They couldnt cancel it and I am sure the players went about their way and had their meal and left early in the night.
    2 weeks to recover and important after any game to wind down, especially an All Ireland Final where the whole lead up is intense and you have to start that two week intensive preparation the next evening.
    I doubt they were drinking or celebrating anything, but they were staying overnight in The Citywest so they were hardly going to be heading to bed without any supper or kicking balls in the car park!!

I think Rochford made a short speach but it was only fair that the team made an appearance for those who had donated such large amounts

RTP....Talk about sh1t talk.

I never said they were out drinking or partying. I just said I would have preferred that they cancelled it, so no false sense of reality happens. So what about the 600 hundred guests, its not about them. So what if they donated money. Its not about anyone else or money. It is about winning and nothing else.

They could easily have got dinner some place else. I am not saying to not feed the guys!! They could have rearrange it for saturday night. The same tickets get you in. This is what Gavin did AFAIK. Its very easy if you want to make it easy. Also it is very easy for some people to exaggerate things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

When did Mayo last win a replay, of any sort ?

2006 quarter final against Laois, semi final vs Fermanagh in 2004 also

Blackjack wrote: »
    2006 quarter final against Laois, semi final vs Fermanagh in 2004 also

Thanks, I should have remembered that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

RTP....Talk about sh1t talk.

I never said they were out drinking or partying. I just said I would have preferred that they cancelled it, so no false sense of reality happens. So what about the 600 hundred guests, its not about them. So what if they donated money. Its not about anyone else or money. It is about winning and nothing else.

They could easily have got dinner some place else. I am not saying to not feed the guys!! They could have rearrange it for saturday night. The same tickets get you in. This is what Gavin did AFAIK. Its very easy if you want to make it easy. Also it is very easy for some people to exaggerate things.

I think they did the right thing by having the Banquet and doing what they needed to do. You can't cancel an event like that at short notice as you will still have a fair chunk of the 600 guests showing up and the hotel will still expect to get paid.
    If referring to the players attending, imagine the media scrum when players staying in the hotel do not attend the function?.

It was a no win situation, and in this case those that donated good money got what they paid for. It's not like Mayo are blessed with the same level of funding, sponsorship or provision of facility as other counties and can go about as if money is not an object. It is very much an issue whether we like it or not.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement