Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Everybody do yourself a favour and listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzmCrYds5yk&feature=youtu.be

Warning: Do not listen to it if driving your car as you will get so excited you will crash.....

Cannot wait folks, this is the year for Sam McGuire to ag teacht abhaile go Maigh eo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Blackjack wrote: »
    I think they did the right thing by having the Banquet and doing what they needed to do. You can't cancel an event like that at short notice as you will still have a fair chunk of the 600 guests showing up and the hotel will still expect to get paid.
    If referring to the players attending, imagine the media scrum when players staying in the hotel do not attend the function?.

It was a no win situation, and in this case those that donated good money got what they paid for. It's not like Mayo are blessed with the same level of funding, sponsorship or provision of facility as other counties and can go about as if money is not an object. It is very much an issue whether we like it or not.

Well we differ. Gavin called a halt to the dubs in the Gibson AFAIK.
    I don't think any of the guests would have an issue with attending the rescheduled event.Its not like they are losing out.
    There is all this wind down talk. I personally don't think you would wind down at a banquet. The only time I would wind down is when I got home or a session with your team mates and most definitely not at a banquet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Well he has answered you, will you ever let it go now and stop embarrassing yourself.

No he hasn't. Put your glasses on, good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Peist2007 wrote: »
    No he hasn't. Put your glasses on, good man.

Please, just leave it.. He has no interest in derailing the thread with a tired conversation from what all can see anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Well we differ. Gavin called a halt to the dubs in the Gibson AFAIK.
    I don't think any of the guests would have an issue with attending the rescheduled event.Its not like they are losing out.
    There is all this wind down talk. I personally don't think you would wind down at a banquet. The only time I would wind down is when I got home or a session with your team mates and most definitely not at a banquet.

The dubs were already home !
    Mayo players are , rested and had a recovery session THEN got on the bus to travel the width of the country home
    100% correct decision

"Whatever you do lads, stay away from the Citywest tonight, you can go get your dinner somewhere else, you don't deserve it and its clearly going to effect you in two weeks time by sitting around for a bite to eat with fellow county people.............Gavin didn't do it and we all know how clever he is"

Please, just leave it.. He has no interest in derailing the thread with a tired conversation from what all can see anymore.

How is it a tired conversation? This very issue is actually the No. 1 trend in Ireland on twitter right now. The Dubs have been in the media perpetuating this sh1te pr the past 48 hours when the poor lamb needing protection is one of the most physically violent intercounty players out there. The ref next Sunday is a complete homer in case anyone hasnt noticed. So, if i want to call out someone spouting untruths, i will do exactly that.

Back seat modding is not allowed in here. You don't speak for all and certainly don't get to tell any other posters what is up for discussion. Stick me on ignore if you like.

How is it a tired conversation? This very issue is actually the No. 1 trend in Ireland on twitter right now. The Dubs have been in the media perpetuating this sh1te pr the past 48 hours when the poor lamb needing protection is one of the most physically violent intercounty players out there. The ref next Sunday is a complete homer in case anyone hasnt noticed. So, if i want to call out someone spouting untruths, i will do exactly that.

Back seat modding is not allowed in here. You don't speak for all and certainly don't get to tell any other posters what is up for discussion. Stick me on ignore if you like.

good idea!!

Before I do, relax with the hostility and smart comments. Its very unpleasant and its what has got these threads closed constantly. Hence why people like me get frustrated with it. And, no that isn't modding. I just dont want the thread closed, number 1 one trend on twitter or not. My message was just requesting that. Take it personally, if you wish.

You have called people one eyed eegits, accused them of talking crap and other smart comments so what I said , merely "to leave it" isn't exactly offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

who playing Sunday? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

The ref next Sunday is a complete homer in case anyone hasnt noticed.

Here we go, normally ye wait till after the game to blame the ref :rolleyes:

Deegan is a decent ref, let's not go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Regarding the banquet, a co worker was at it and she said the players' appearance was brief. They basically just had dinner, mixed a little with their families and then went to bed. Very little fuss apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Will ye shut the **** up about Keegan & Connolly, there's 28 other players on the pitch!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Woo-hoo!

Just got a ticket for the Lower Hogan :D:D:D:D

Will be my first final since 1989 :eek:

good idea!!

Before I do, relax with the hostility and smart comments. Its very unpleasant and its what has got these threads closed constantly. Hence why people like me get frustrated with it. And, no that isn't modding. I just dont want the thread closed, number 1 one trend on twitter or not. My message was just requesting that. Take it personally, if you wish.

You have called people one eyed eegits, accused them of talking crap and other smart comments so what I said , merely "to leave it" isn't exactly offensive.

If something, anything, is trending at number one in this country then it is not a "tired subject". You're here again telling a poster what he should or should not say. Click the ignore button, good lad.

Gael85 wrote: »
    who playing Sunday? :D

Ha the game will be played again sunday in my house, that's for sure :)

• Advertisement

Menoetius wrote: »
    Here we go, normally ye wait till after the game to blame the ref :rolleyes:

Deegan is a decent ref, let's not go there.

Ha so only the Dubs allowed put pressure on the ref pre-game is it?

Deegan is a very decent ref if you're wearing blue and playing in Croke Park in September. The Irish Graham Poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

Deegan is a very decent ref if you're wearing blue and playing in Croke Park in September. The Irish Graham Poll.

I'd be sure Maurice Deegan didn't read your post so you don't count ;)

You could name half of the top refs at least and someone would pop up saying he is pro-Dublin. Talk about making excuses in advance!

p.s. who the f*ck is Graham Poll? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Menoetius wrote: »
    I'd be sure Maurice Deegan didn't read your post so you don't count ;)

You could name half of the top refs at least and someone would pop up saying he is pro-Dublin. Talk about making excuses in advance!

p.s. who the f*ck is Graham Poll? :confused:
    He is a ref from Meath I think
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I think this anti Lee campaign (and it IS a campaign) is hilarious and to be quite honest is playing into Mayo s hands. Fair enough, Brennan having his say. But Whelan as an RTE pundit?? He should try not being so obvious! Nice work Gavin though. He has the twitterati churning out some gunk.

Having said that.....the #ThingsLeedDid has brilliantly backfired on the Anti Lee brigade..... LOVE it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Kalyke wrote: »
    I think this anti Lee campaign (and it IS a campaign) is hilarious and to be quite honest is playing into Mayo s hands. Fair enough, Brennan having his say. But Whelan as an RTE pundit?? He should try not being so obvious! Nice work Gavin though. He has the twitterati churning out some gunk.

Its no campaign. They're just churning out Brollys original thought. Thats what happens with these pundits. They just regurgitate the cliches and get paid for it. Tbf even impartial observers are clinging to the same thought. For a lad who talks nonsense with such frequency Brolly is unbelievably influential in this regard.

They're all full of ****e though. I'm no Keegan apologist but it was Connolly looking to upset him more often than not. One could say it worked too (something else thats been missed because Keegan had a ****e game).

Obviously a spill over from last year with Connolly. Anyone who saw his interview earlier in the year should know the score with him. He's intent on playing would be wind up merchants at their own game. No apologies for it apparently.

• Advertisement

Kalyke wrote: »

Having said that.....the #ThingsLeedDid has brilliantly backfired on the Anti Lee brigade..... LOVE it!

Keegan is a top player who has taken the opposition best player over the last few matches and reduced their impact. The dubs are just trying to highlight it thinking they will influence the ref with this ****e.

James Horan done a great job putting pressure on Joe McQuillian in 2012. Barely got any frees from him in 2012 & 2013 games.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/horans-timely-reminder-to-top-class-referee-mcquillan-205821.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

James Horan done a great job putting pressure on Joe McQuillian in 2012. Barely got any frees from him in 2012 & 2013 games.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/horans-timely-reminder-to-top-class-referee-mcquillan-205821.html

Seeing how 2012 worked out he would have been better spending his time working on a way of putting pressure on Michael Murphy of Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

G'way ya peist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

I for one have had a bellyful of the keegan and Connolly media circus. I hope they have a right good tussle with neither getting sent off, unless it's for a deliberate and forceful punch to the face/head....delivered by Diarmuid :-)

On another note if the all stars were given out after the drawn match who from Mayo would be on it. For me it's a nomination for CLARKE with an outside chance of getting the spot.

Harrison, Keegan and Boyler would be on it. Nominations for Zippy and Durkan.
    Neither of the midfielders would get a shout SOS/TP. Maybe a nomination for Vaughan.

Up front COC particularly for his point the last day and deffo Andy. Maybe AOS, while he has not set the world alight he has had some strong performances and carried the team at times. Probably a nomination for Dillon, DOC and McLoughlin depending on positions. Nothing for Doherty, freezer or Regan.

You would feel an all star has to be there for Connolly, Rock as highest scorer in the championship and Quinlivan from tipp will get the sentimental spot.

In summary 6 deffo and with CLARKE, maybe 7 at a push.
    Thoughts ?

Clarke has the goalkeeper spot well wrapped up.

Clarke has the goalkeeper spot well wrapped up.

Read a interesting stat the other day. David Clarke has never lost a championship game to Dublin. Played 06, 2012 and the last day against Dublin.

Read a interesting stat the other day. David Clarke has never lost a championship game to Dublin. Played 06, 2012 and the last day against Dublin.

Jaysus, that article sounds amazing!! Unbelievable stats!! (just messing with you!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

On the Keegan/Connolly thing, did anyone see in the Mayo News article about them the little bit about Diarmuid Connolly sending Lee down a new pair of boots last year? A nice touch. I think they have plenty of respect for one another when all's said and done, and Lee has even said as much himself. They'll do whatever it takes for their own team in the heat of battle, but when it's all over, they'll shake each other's hand and move on. They know it's just a game. And anyway, there's nothing that happens between them that doesn't happen in many a club match all over the country. A whole lotta nothing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Latest Mayo News Podcast.

The first of two podcasts this week as we set the scene for Saturday's All Ireland final replay between Mayo and Dublin.
    Edwin McGreal and Sean Rice of The Mayo News join host Rob Murphy to preview the first All Ireland Final replay since 2000.
    John Gunnigan of the Mayo GAA Blog also joins us to look at some of the media coverage surrounding Mayo and Dublin over the last ten days as journalists and pundits alike try to get their head around this compelling rivalry.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/listen/football-podcast/28659-audio-football-podcast-20-all-ireland-final-replay-preview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

seligehgit wrote: »

The first of two podcasts this week as we set the scene for Saturday's All Ireland final replay between Mayo and Dublin.
    Edwin McGreal and Sean Rice of The Mayo News join host Rob Murphy to preview the first All Ireland Final replay since 2000.
    John Gunnigan of the Mayo GAA Blog also joins us to look at some of the media coverage surrounding Mayo and Dublin over the last ten days as journalists and pundits alike try to get their head around this compelling rivalry.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/listen/football-podcast/28659-audio-football-podcast-20-all-ireland-final-replay-preview

Listened to it last night, it has really got me back in the mood. Some of the online tit for tat has been hard reading these past 5 days or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Ascii wrote: »
    I for one have had a bellyful of the keegan and Connolly media circus. I hope they have a right good tussle with neither getting sent off, unless it's for a deliberate and forceful punch to the face/head....delivered by Diarmuid :-)

On another note if the all stars were given out after the drawn match who from Mayo would be on it. For me it's a nomination for CLARKE with an outside chance of getting the spot.

Neither of the midfielders would get a shout SOS/TP. Maybe a nomination for Vaughan.

Up front COC particularly for his point the last day and deffo Andy. Maybe AOS, while he has not set the world alight he has had some strong performances and carried the team at times. Probably a nomination for Dillon, DOC and McLoughlin depending on positions. Nothing for Doherty, freezer or Regan.

You would feel an all star has to be there for Connolly, Rock as highest scorer in the championship and Quinlivan from tipp will get the sentimental spot.

Thoughts ?

Andy, Leeroy, Boyler and Clarke I feel.
    Probably reads as a bit harsh but it's been a real team effort this year, not too many consistently brilliant individual performances.

Anything more is bonus territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

PARlance wrote: »
    Some of the online tit for tat has been hard reading these past 5 days or so.

Agreed, can't be bothered reading anything from non regulars over the past few days.

to start it off Mayo by 4 :D
    and thats my last word on the subject apart from 2 sleeps to go :P

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Ascii wrote: »

Thoughts ?

Andy, Leeroy, Boyler and Clarke I feel.
    Probably reads as a bit harsh but it's been a real team effort this year, not too many consistently brilliant individual performances.

Anything more is bonus territory.

Harrison possibly? Also Higgins will definitely get one, despite mixed opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I'm going for a 2 point Mayo win this time. A Jason Doherty goal being the decider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seligehgit wrote: »

Great podcast as usual.

Unfortunately I'd have to agree with Sean Rice's assessment early in the show that Dublin have more room to improve, as was the case last time.

Say COC and AOS will get one also, .

I'm going for a 2 point Mayo win this time. A Jason Doherty goal being the decider

A Phillips McMahon own goal and a last minute 45 miss by Cuxton to equalise........

What dreams are made of!!

I wouldn't give Dubs the sut of DC getting dent off to feed an agenda campaign! Alas only dreams so far!

Great podcast as usual.

Unfortunately I'd have to agree with Sean Rice's assessment early in the show that Dublin have more room to improve, as was the case last time.

I was glad to hear his assessment of SO'S even though I thought he went a little OTT describing his first half performance as excellent. I thought he had a good first half followed by a nightmare 5 mins where he made 2 massive mistakes at an important time... Doherty was flat footed for the 3rd mistake that SO'S got nailed for.

The calls for him to be dropped were harsh imo, harsh but understandable.

• Advertisement

In fairness to SOS if those mistakes hadn't happened in such chronological proximity they would have been brushed aside generally. I think it's testament to him that Mayo were doing so much running through the middle compared to usual and he got on a lot of ball.

Saying that they were two unenforced errors and in an AI final these are unforgiveable in a tight match (unforgiveable in the sense they should be pointed out )

He definitely won't be dropped and he is more often than not overlooked by the media. Goes about his game and very disciplined generally speaking but doesn't shy out of dirty parts of game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Watched it again last night. We turned the ball over on their '45 something fierce. Need to eradicate that & pick better options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Harrison possibly? Also Higgins will definitely get one, despite mixed opinions.

Harrison could sneak one indeed, having an excellent year particularly at the business end.

Higgins probably needs a MOTM performance or close to it to get back in the hunt.

Higgins is 1/10 on to get one. Bookies rarely would get such a declaration of confidence wrong. I'd go as far as saying Harrison, cooper and Higgins over PM but first 2 are guaranteed for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I was glad to hear his assessment of SO'S even though I thought he went a little OTT describing his first half performance as excellent. I thought he had a good first half followed by a nightmare 5 mins where he made 2 massive mistakes at an important time... Doherty was flat footed for the 3rd mistake that SO'S got nailed for.

The calls for him to be dropped were harsh imo, harsh but understandable.

Yes he was OTT about him being excellent but I certainly thought after re-watching the game that the 4 minutes between 47 and 51 when he gave away the ball 4 times were an not indictive (is that a word?) of his performance to that point

As I said a few weeks back, he seemed to run out of steam both physically and mentally about 10 mins into the second half

The Championship Ends Here, this has just over 5,000 views and half of them are probably from me.

https://youtu.be/SBGp-QUdVg8

• Advertisement

The Championship Ends Here, this has just over 5,000 views and half of them are probably from me.

https://youtu.be/SBGp-QUdVg8

Ahh Sigur Ros! Only saw them recently!!!! They should have had that video at the concert though!

2 weeks is too long to wait. Too much time on some people's hands. I had to laugh at this video though. How can 1 ref handle all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Gutted here with no tickets . Failing to get one for either myself or my little fella . A bit worthless but putting this post out anyways .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Gutted here with no tickets . Failing to get one for either myself or my little fella . A bit worthless but putting this post out anyways .

Tonight and tomorrow after the clubs have actually physically distributed their tickets is the time to step up the hunt

tickets have a habit of coming out the day before. Keep the head up and you never know.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement