Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

I like hennelly and all that but in fairness CLARKE has been having a massive season. Bringing on hennelly for long range frees as someone mentioned earlier is rubbish in my opinion. If they are not in COC's range then we go short and retain possession. The keeper coming up having a pop ala Cluxton is backwards. Want it to be five O clock one minute and the next minute want it to be over. This hanging around is doing my fecken nut in

For me Vaughan is the logical switch is there is a change to SOS at midfield. He has the legs and physicality to stay with MDcM box to box all afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If Hennelly starts ahead of Clarke I will go bat**** demented.

What's the weather doing at the moment up in the big smoke people ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Flynn out, Andrews in apparently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Ascii wrote: »
    What's the weather doing at the moment up in the big smoke people ??

Just arrived. Cloudy and cold but no rain at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

LOTS of ticketless supporters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Is there anyone left above in Mayo?!??

Never seen so much red and green in my life.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Is there anyone left above in Mayo?!??

David Clarke., apparently.........................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

km79 wrote: »

tbh if he's not playing and Mayo win it, won't it be sweeter to know they won it without his playacting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

km79 wrote: »
    Stolen from blog
    Western State Bulldogs (underdogs, country boys)have just beaten Sydney Swans (city slickers, favourites) in the AFL grand final. Have lost multiple finals recently and the last time they won it was 1954!!
    DDC1990 wrote: »
    Good omen but despite the name Western Bulldogs are based in Melbourne so not quite Country boys.

They share the Etihad Stadium with Carlton, Essingdon, North Melbourne and St.Kilda.

They also hadn't played in a final since 1961.

St Kilda are our real Aussie brethern, they keep losing finals.

RTE embarrasing themselves again with this "spell" sh1te.

Bambi wrote: »
    tbh if he's not playing and Mayo win it, won't it be sweeter to know they won it without his playacting?

Philly Mac anyone?

Philly Mac anyone?

The bould Cillian is a league of his own in fairness.

The bould Cillian is a league of his own in fairness.

A play actor is a play actor. The same whatever way you want to look at it.

hennely in alright

Feel sorry for Clarke but it COULD be a tactical winner. AOS probably playing out the field now.

"A bit like Draculla, he doesn't like crosses"

Ha, I'll give Brolly that one!

Feel sorry for Clarke but it COULD be a tactical winner. AOS probably playing out the field now.

Clarke has a great record as a shot stopper though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Very, very harsh on Clarke.

• Advertisement

Hennelly nowhere near Clarke when it comes to shot stopping or under the high ball. What you want in your keeper. Absolutely baffling.

Clarke has a great record as a shot stopper though :confused:

I am well aware, I would be pro Clarke. But we haven't seen Hennelly since his bad kick against Galway which led to the goal and he is clearly doing something in training to convince them to make such a huge call.

Hennelly nowhere near Clarke when it comes to shot stopping or under the high ball. What you want in your keeper. Absolutely baffling.

Have seen Clarke up close and he communicates really well with the full back line, always lets them know where he is, etc. I think he gives them confidence and he's the better shot stopper all day. He's also a big man and has a presence in goals. Would have him over henelly any day. I'm willing to be open minded though and let hennelly prove himself again.

Hennellys kicks the odd free though does he not?

Could be a connor is carrying a knock so they want back up on the field

Keegan already playing up.

Refusing to sing national anthem.

Media uproar!

How is John small still on the field....should have been black carded in the first five mins and again for the first wild swing on COC ..
    Imagine if Keegan scored Connolly and him off the pitch for 45 mins of the game :-)
    Big game needed from Coen now.

good man Diarmuid, that will get his confidence up

So why exactly did Hennelly start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Hard luck Mayo, sincerely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

So much heartbreak in Croke Park down the years now. It's never going to happen, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

blueser wrote: »
    So much heartbreak in Croke Park down the years now. It's never going to happen, is it?

YES. IT. FCUKING. WILL.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Poor Hennelly.
    He'll probably need to phone the Sam-aritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

blueser wrote: »

I wouldn`t say that.
    Other than taking the chance with Hennelly for long kick outs today that really backfired, from all the finals this present crop of players have played in I thought the structure the last two games was the best I`ve seen.
    Rochfort got the keeper call wrong, but other than that he has structured a serious team that if they can get their heads back into another go imo they are now a way more serious contenders than anytime under James Horan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Unlucky Mayo, but yet are getting there. I am devastated for ye I really am.

Keep the heads up and stick behind the team and Mayo will get their title.
    The wrong call was made with the keeper, ye got the hard end of the referees card decisions, but you have got to come again. The GAA needs it.

What players are likely to call it quits now? A few of them are getting on in years. And what younger players are likely to come into the panel?

I live in a country where the Irish population is in double figures, so I find it hard to keep up with any team apart from the seniors.

• Advertisement

Can't get over the hennelly call tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

charlie14 wrote: »
    I wouldn`t say that.
    Other than taking the chance with Hennelly for long kick outs today that really backfired, from all the finals this present crop of players have played in I thought the structure the last two games was the best I`ve seen.
    Rochfort got the keeper call wrong, but other than that he has structured a serious team that if they can get their heads back into another go imo they are now a way more serious contenders than anytime under James Horan

Shattered for Mayo. Decision to play Hennelly will haunt Rochfort and his management team. The margins are so fine. Giving away two goals first day and then today 1-1 and a black card or whatever and still within a point. Feel gutted for the team. In the second half they just didn't get anyone on the ball in the last 30 metres just playing in front of the Dublin defence line where as Dublin threatened more with their subs introduction. Most teams playing Dublin seem to expend so much more of their game trying to stop them and can't get the desired offensive part of their own game going. Ref calls were mixed though thought that the tackle/foul on kevin Mclaughlin was at a pivotal time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

padd b1975 wrote: »
    YES. IT. FCUKING. WILL.
    When? 10 finals (I think) lost now since 1951. They can't all be put down to poor refereeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

naughto wrote: »
    Rumours are flying around that Henelly will start

God am I sorry I heard this f1yck me
    So disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

20-MO-17

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Mayo can take solace in the fact that they gave it everything they had today. It was a valiant effort. They can be proud of how well they've done this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Whoever made the Henelly decision should be hung, drawn and quartered for high treason.

From his first kick of the game, until the referee did what them management should have done, it was a complete disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

corny wrote: »
    Its no campaign. They're just churning out Brollys original thought. Thats what happens with these pundits. They just regurgitate the cliches and get paid for it. Tbf even impartial observers are clinging to the same thought. For a lad who talks nonsense with such frequency Brolly is unbelievably influential in this regard.

They're all full of ****e though. I'm no Keegan apologist but it was Connolly looking to upset him more often than not. One could say it worked too (something else thats been missed because Keegan had a ****e game).

Obviously a spill over from last year with Connolly. Anyone who saw his interview earlier in the year should know the score with him. He's intent on playing would be wind up merchants at their own game. No apologies for it apparently.

This is it exactly. Media wont refuse ink and some of the stuff wrote about players these days is pretty pathetic. Keegan to an extent is paying the price for Brolly and the fact the games are getting so much media coverage. He (Keegan) is a class player but has crossed the line and ANY player who does will be nailed in todays game. At the end of the day what Brolly, and others need to remember is these lads are our neighbours friends and family and deserve to be treated with a little more respect than they are. More focus needs to be on the referees not the players. And I am not one for banging on to much about referees but it is too hard for one man to cover Croke park. They get a different view than we do and believe me Croke park is a lonely place for a referee or player when things go pear shaped.
    What players are likely to call it quits now? A few of them are getting on in years. And what younger players are likely to come into the panel?
    Every player on the field today still has a lot to offer to the panel. A few need to look at the contributions, not sure if that is right word but a few need to concentrate more on their game than wasting energy badgering the referee.
    Shattered for Mayo. Decision to play Hennelly will haunt Rochfort and his management team. The margins are so fine. Giving away two goals first day and then today 1-1 and a black card or whatever and still within a point. Feel gutted for the team. In the second half they just didn't get anyone on the ball in the last 30 metres just playing in front of the Dublin defence line where as Dublin threatened more with their subs introduction. Most teams playing Dublin seem to expend so much more of their game trying to stop them and can't get the desired offensive part of their own game going. Ref calls were mixed though thought that the tackle/foul on kevin Mclaughlin was at a pivotal time.

I am very disappointed for Mayo also, all genuine G.A.A. fans are. That was a crazy call to replace Clarke. You are right the margins are so fine a wicked bounce can win or lose a match. I agree Mayo had a few chances to get the ball in quicker but really only Durcan and I think Seamus O'S hit anything of note into A.O'S or Moran, the same way as Kilkenny slowed Dublin down when they had overlaps.

Mayo worked hard at trying to nullify the attacking threat Dublin have and it worked to a point. But how much of their own game was sacraficed? Going forward Mayo are in my opinion lethal, as good as Dublin but they stifle themselves. Keegan, Higgins, Durcan, Boyle, coming out of defence with defence are superb but not doing it enough. When they did today they hit 1..2. What I am saying is Mayo had the team today to be more attacking in how they played but called Dublin on to them and Costello and Brogan got the vital scores. Cillian O'Connor seemed to be carrying an injury?

I think the last tackle on McLoughlin was good. There was contact from behind ok but every tackle has some contact, I dont think it was a blatant push and the fact the ball squirted out gave the defender the benefit of the decision.

I thought Durcan was excellent today but his player got on the ball a fair bit also. Seamus O'Shea was very good today and I was delighted for him after the sh**e he took the last. Kevin McLoughlin I think was superb. If he got on the ball more in the second half Mayo, there could well have been a different result. His use of the ball was first class and he is a shoe in for All-Star. Close to man of the match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

I just hope big andy can give it one more year

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Whoever made the Henelly decision should be hung, drawn and quartered for high treason.

From his first kick of the game, until the referee did what them management should have done, it was a complete disaster.

He probably should have been substituted at half time at the latest, but saying that any good management team will try and shake things up for a replay.
    Management saw Dublin closing down short kick outs 2 weeks ago, and with hoe dangerous Dublins front 6 can be with pace look to go with Henelly for distance, win ball at midfield and put pressure directly on Dublin before their defensive screen got back. Ok it didn`t work out, but if it had, the management would be called geniuses at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Just back, savage game. I'd my house on Cillian and another draw at the end.
    TBH I just didn't want another replay I don't even know if there would have been one or not. I just wanted it to bloody end.

Very close again. I'm not going to say hard luck. So many of the things that worked for both teams the last day were shut down today

These are two serious teams that have brought us great entertainment and there's plenty left in that team, I think that overall the Mayo management team had a very impressive first year in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

charlie14 wrote: »
    He probably should have been substituted at half time at the latest, but saying that any good management team will try and shake things up for a replay.
    Management saw Dublin closing down short kick outs 2 weeks ago, and with hoe dangerous Dublins front 6 can be with pace look to go with Henelly for distance, win ball at midfield and put pressure directly on Dublin before their defensive screen got back. Ok it didn`t work out, but if it had, the management would be called geniuses at this stage.

Seriously? Seriously? It would be like Dublin not starting Cluxton.

Everyone knows the players, specifically the O'Sheas, were calling the shots this year, and Mayo has paid the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

As a neutral. That hoped Mayo would win, the keeper decision was mental. No disrespect but he was an average keeper at his best in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Rainman16 wrote: »
    I think you should be firm and tell your son that he is not allowed to have a pet snake. He is not old enough to be able to look after it properly or to take on the responsibility. You are the boss here, you need to make sure your son knows that.

Who are you calling a snake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Rainman16 wrote: »
    I think you should be firm and tell your son that he is not allowed to have a pet snake. He is not old enough to be able to look after it properly or to take on the responsibility. You are the boss here, you need to make sure your son knows that.

Ah let him have the snake for feck sake!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement