Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I'm not a mayo supporter and neither should anyone be calling for anyone to be sacked. He just made a serious error of judgement. This team can win an all Ireland. I'd say they'll win one before Rory Gallagher s Team will win one

Rory Gallagher is a sh1te manager that shouldn`t be left in charge of a junior clubs under 12s, but still no need for the dig.
    If you scroll back through what I said you will find that post was irony and my opinions exactly mirrors your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Gutted...

So many things went wrong for Mayo today yet we still only lost by a point.

The defence looked knackered from about 50 mins onwards....the three Dublin subs killed us. Much as I hate to say it, MDMA was the game winner imho. Some very damaging forays into the back line.

Three points from play from our forwards today, not good enough. Is there nobody in the county better ?? Surely there is some of the U21 forwards better than these ?

They are letting the rest of the team down time and time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

the ignore list is growing ever longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Gutted...

The defence looked knackered from about 50 mins onwards....the three Dublin subs killed us. Much as I hate to say it, MDMA was the game winner imho. Some very damaging forays into the back line.

Three points from play from our forwards today. Is there nobody in the county better ?? Surely there is some of the U21 forwards better than these ?

They are letting the rest of the team down time and time again.

without checking how many for Dublin ?
    I know rock hit the majority of their scores from frees first half and the goal was a pen ?

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Gutted...

I feared that when he didn't start tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 sonique 2016

i hear theyre planting spuds in mchale park next year

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Robeman

PressRun wrote: »
    I heard O'Connor and O'Shea are running the show and told Dillon to jog on. Stephen Rochford couldn't do anything about it cos he has no man management skills. It's anarchy over there. Don't shoot the messenger.

Given what happened today you definitely have a good source in the camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scrawnyass

As a Clareman I thought Id never see us win an All Ireland(hurling).We had Biddy Earleys curse. Trust me , its only a matter of time before Mayo win one again..Keep the faith.Always keep the faith.

• Advertisement

Clarke has the goalkeeper spot well wrapped up.

I and everyone else in the country thought the same. We all forgot to factor in the "egos" looking after each other.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Read a interesting stat the other day. David Clarke has never lost a championship game to Dublin. Played 06, 2012 and the last day against Dublin.

This is no longer a stat thanks to the "egos"

Robeman wrote: »
    I and everyone else in the country thought the same. We all forgot to factor in the "egos" looking after each other.

Spit it out. Are you saying that Hennelly only played due to the O'Sheas influence ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Devastated. But you know what, I think the Rochford criticism is over the top. Obviously the call was kick out related. Hennelly certainly has a better kick out than Clarke, okay maybe it didn't work out on the day, but how are people so narrow minded on this?

naughto wrote: »
    Rumours are flying around that Henelly will start

Rumours sometimes turn out to be true. There are a lot of true rumours in Mayo this past year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Spit it out. Are you saying that Hennelly only played due to the O'Sheas influence ?

Mayo people nerd to take off the blinkers and see what's really happening in the camp. (and has been happening for many years);)

km79 wrote: »
    Oh lord that's a MASSiVE call

Is massive the word you would use now ??

Hennelly nowhere near Clarke when it comes to shot stopping or under the high ball. What you want in your keeper. Absolutely baffling.

Not baffling at all. Did you hear the rumour about who organised the venue for the coup against Connelly and Holmes ?

I am well aware, I would be pro Clarke. But we haven't seen Hennelly since his bad kick against Galway which led to the goal and he is clearly doing something in training to convince them to make such a huge call.

Training sessions had nothing to do with it. "Egos" and weak manager more likely

• Advertisement

Poor Hennelly.
    He'll probably need to phone the Sam-aritans.

He will hopefully organise the meeting venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

I am not sure what it is about Mayo but there have been a serious amount of rumours around the Mayo team. Fractures among players, players wanting club mates to play ahead of others, players approaching managers outside of the county. Some of these are true, some aren't.

The point is these only become widespread because Mayo are a football mad county where pretty much everyone is a fanatic and wants to know every little detail.

Look at this thread... By far the most active one around.
    Look at the season tickets being totally subscribed.

A win today and everything would have been justified, but it wasn't to be.

If the majority of these rumours turn out to be true and its something the current management team can't curtail then the county board better take their thumbs out.

Training sessions had nothing to do with it. "Egos" and weak manager more likely

What role have you played in these training sessions to give us such a definitive opinion that they had nothing to do with it ?
    Christ we have lost another all ireland and you dig up a 5 week old post from yourself for a bit of self congratulations.
    Well done you !

Seriously? Seriously? It would be like Dublin not starting Cluxton.

Everyone knows the players, specifically the O'Sheas, were calling the shots this year, and Mayo has paid the price.

Rumours sometimes are true e.g, Hennelly starting in goal today.

rabwaygal wrote: »
    I am not sure what it is about Mayo but there have been a serious amount of rumours around the Mayo team. Fractures among players, players wanting club mates to play ahead of others, players approaching managers outside of the county. Some of these are true, some aren't.

The point is these only become widespread because Mayo are a football mad county where pretty much everyone is a fanatic and wants to know every little detail.

Look at this thread... By far the most active one around.
    Look at the season tickets being totally subscribed.

A win today and everything would have been justified, but it wasn't to be.

If the majority of these rumours turn out to be true and its something the current management team can't curtail then the county board better take their thumbs out.

Rumours on the internet !
    Rumours that only surface when things don't go our way
    Rumours !
    Did that look like a fractured divided squad?
    This thread makes me ashamed to be a Mayo supporter tonight.
    The same people were probably crying cos they could not get a ticket today "despite being at all the matches all year "

Rumours sometimes are true e.g, Hennelly starting in goal today.

Cillian kicked 9 points despite also being rumoured out

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    At least somebody is brave enough to admit it.
    No coincidence that Clarke was dropped for a Breaffy player.
    Connolly and Holmes fully vindicated now. Both shafted by a small bunch of prima-donnas whose biggest interest is gaining personal accolades, rather than team victories.
    No coincidence also that teams without individual egomaniacs are usually successful. Kerry,Dublin in football, Tipp/Kilkenny in hurling.
    My own county, Limerick suffer the exact same malaise as Mayo, a continuous small bunch of prima-donnas undermining successive managements for their own personal gain, while the county pays the price. Our results don't lie either, 6 A.I. final losses since we've last won one.

Somebody saying it as it is. Sad that it takes a Limerick man. We are so blind in Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭charlie1980

Job done regards Leeroy Keegan!

The Dubs will use every trick in the book and then some they have made up,just to kill them.

Shocking !

LeoB wrote: »
    Think the point being made is anyone with a bit of a brain could win an All-Ireland with this Mayo team. Rochford done nothing more than Holmes/Connelley. This is a seriously good side but lets not make Rochford into something he isn't. The decision to drop Clarke leaves serious question marks over him and management team.

Last year players said did not win because of Connelly \ Holmes. Same players this year different manager same result. Thus players are the problem not managers.

Rochford should have ditched all the "egos" who were not loyal to Connelly \ Holmes at start of year and not wasted season. By agreeing to Hennelly he has doomed himself to failure. He should resign immediately.

Not really, as soon as that pair started the nepotism, it was time to show them the door.

What nepotism ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Speaking of rumours.

A guy behind me was overhead telling all and sundry that Joe Brolly had left his wife for another woman and was shacked up with her in Knockmore (no less!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Last year players said did not win because of Connelly \ Holmes. Same players this year different manager same result. Thus players are the problem not managers.

Rochford should have ditched all the "egos" who were not loyal to Connelly \ Holmes at start of year and not wasted season. By agreeing to Hennelly he has doomed himself to failure. He should resign immediately.

I'll take my yellow card for this. You are a ****ing clown.

Padkir wrote: »

I think Maurice Deegan is reffing here tonight so you are safe enough :D

PressRun wrote: »
    Rochford should keep the job, no question. But questions should be asked over the Hennelly call. He shouldn't be exempt from questioning.

The "egos" have landed on their arses.

If Connelly \ Holmes had to go (with no reason ever given by the players) then Rochford has to go for giving into the "Egos" and starting Hennelly.

The following players should also be permanently dropped off the Mayo panel

3 O Shea Brothers
    Hennelly
    2 O Connor Brothers
    Andy Moran
    Alan Dillon
    Barry Moran

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Absolutely gutted and so disappointed. Can't believe another one has come and gone. 20 years supporting Mayo in All Ireland's with the same disappointing outcome thus far. Haven't posted on this thread before but feel compelled to reading it tonight.

No one was posting on here 2 weeks ago about rumours or primadonnas - everyone was so proud of the fact that the lads gave it their all, left nothing out there and emptied the tank and it was no different today. They gave it their all but were beaten by an experienced, composed team that were streetwise enough to make the right decisions at the right time. They also had someone of Costello's quality to spring from the bench and step up when it mattered. Unfortunately we did not....

I'm not saying that the management didn't make errors (they did- everyone does, it's part of life) but some of the nasty, negative, snide remarks here are simply unforgivable IMO. If we are disappointed, what must the players and management feel like? please give them the respect they deserve - they have given us amazing days. Not the ultimate day just yet but it's on the way....

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

I'll gladly take one it ill give me a break well get the fuc1k out robeman you no nothing. report away u little sh1te

The "egos" have landed on their arses.

If Connelly \ Holmes had to go (with no reason ever given by the players) then Rochford has to go for giving into the "Egos" and starting Hennelly.

The following players should also be permanently dropped off the Mayo panel

3 O Shea Brothers
    Hennelly
    2 O Connor Brothers
    Andy Moran
    Alan Dillon
    Barry Moran

I'd bring back Conor mortimer and drop him too
    Christ go to bed and give it a rest

When have Mayo ever been arrogant?

They are no more or less arrogant than every other top county.

last years and this years team has been the only arrogant Mayo team ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

When have Mayo ever been arrogant?

They are no more or less arrogant than every other top county.

last years and this years team has been the only arrogant Mayo team ever.

That's because their proberly the only teams you remember.
    What age are you, like 12?????

Offaly are completely ****e these days and haven't been in contention for even provincial honours for about ten years and it'll be a long time before they are in genuine contention again.

3 Football All Irelands since 1971 and 4 Hurling. True they have not won anything for some years and are pretty useless at the moment. Then again we have not won anything either.

Squatman wrote: »
    We are winning more games than we are losing

So what. We have not won any All Irelands since 51 and only two leagues and guess who was the successful manager for the last one. Holmes who the players said was useless. Bet he is laughing tonight at these "celebrity losers"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's amazing how a defeat brings out the absolute eejits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Padkir wrote: »

A bit harsh (clowns are funny).A jack ass maybe (no offense to jacks or asses intended).

So what. We have not won any All Irelands since 51 and only two leagues and guess who was the successful manager for the last one. Holmes who the players said was useless. Bet he is laughing tonight at these "celebrity losers"

Is it not the County Boards fault?

What role have you played in these training sessions to give us such a definitive opinion that they had nothing to do with it ?
    Christ we have lost another all ireland and you dig up a 5 week old post from yourself for a bit of self congratulations.
    Well done you !

Go back and look at the abuse I got for what I said 5 weeks ago. I kept silent this past month as obvious that as usual everybody in Mayo behaving as normal and ignoring the bull**** we all know is going on.
    Well the chickens have come home to roost and we have lost another all ireland which Connelly and Holmes would probably have won if they were managing and if the County Board had behaved like grown ups and told the "Egos" where to go last October. The Kerry Board and Dublin Board would have not let the players dictate matters. That is one reason why they have so many all irelands

PARlance wrote: »
    Is it not the County Boards fault?

Will not be answered
    Robeman has an unerring talent for not replying to posts in response to his own
    Tends to go back to other randomn ones rather taken answer a direct question
    Why is that I wonder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Chokers don't keep coming back time and time again.
    Other Mayo teams could be accused of being chokers but not this incarnation that's been on the go sice 2011. They're the antithesis to bottlers, and to say otherwise is clichéd.

6 All-Ireland semi-finals in a row and not one All-Ireland won, those are the facts.

Maybe they were unlucky to come up against one of the greatest teams of all time, maybe they were bottlers, maybe they just aren't good enough. Whatever, they haven't won an all-Ireland which means those questions will keep coming.

An awful lot of courage, yes, but what happened today when Cillian O'connor had that free? What happened in 2011 when Stephen Cluxton has that free? Those are the small margins that make a difference. Call it luck, call it bottle, call it quality, it doesn't matter, it is the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

3 Football All Irelands since 1971 and 4 Hurling. True they have not won anything for some years and are pretty useless at the moment. Then again we have not won anything either.

Offaly had their golden generations in both codes come along pretty much at the same time.. Before and afterward they are not in remotely good places!!!

Absolutely gutted and so disappointed. Can't believe another one has come and gone. 20 years supporting Mayo in All Ireland's with the same disappointing outcome thus far. Haven't posted on this thread before but feel compelled to reading it tonight.

No one was posting on here 2 weeks ago about rumours or primadonnas - everyone was so proud of the fact that the lads gave it their all, left nothing out there and emptied the tank and it was no different today. They gave it their all but were beaten by an experienced, composed team that were streetwise enough to make the right decisions at the right time. They also had someone of Costello's quality to spring from the bench and step up when it mattered. Unfortunately we did not....

I'm not saying that the management didn't make errors (they did- everyone does, it's part of life) but some of the nasty, negative, snide remarks here are simply unforgivable IMO. If we are disappointed, what must the players and management feel like? please give them the respect they deserve - they have given us amazing days. Not the ultimate day just yet but it's on the way....

Onwards and upwards.

I was posting about "Egos" 5 weeks ago and was ridiculed for saying Mayo would not win and why. Expect some of these so called rumours to be confirmed as true in the national press this week. The local are too pathetic to write anything of substance.

Some players are deserving of massive respect for what they have done for Mayo. The only criticism that can be applied to them is that they allowed the "Egos" to gain control this past year.

Unfortunately the "Egos" lead them to a loss that could have been a win.

Will not be answered
    Why is that I wonder

I won't wait up for a reply anyway. Not a peep from half these clowns apart from post Galway and today.
    The only embarrassment about being from Mayo today is this thread and the 3 "mayo fans" behind me in the Hill.

Probably best to give this place a miss for a week or so.

• Advertisement

Will not be answered
    Why is that I wonder

I gave my thought on County Board 5 weeks ago and was ridiculed but I still stand by what I said them.

We have to change the way we do things if we want to win an All Ireland.

1. Get rid of all the "egos" involved in Connolly \ Holmes coup
    2. Get rid of Rochford for not being strong enough to stand up to egos
    3. Bring in a professional to run Mayo County Board. (Spend at least 100k to get someone decent) and put in place a set up to deliver an All Ireland.
    No point wasting 600k a year on losing All Ireland campaigns (and money Fans spend in going to watch Mayo lose).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement