Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

Robeman wrote: »
    There is a good enough story even without the win but given the substance of the recent history it will probably be classified as a political thriller rather than a sporting film.
    If you know something just spit it out, you either do or you don't. If you don't there is no point posting about it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

It will be more difficult for Dublin to win 3 in a row than it will be for mayo to win one next year. Kerry are the only other contenders imo. Mayo will regorup, as they did this year. Keep at it and stop blaming refs and mistakes by players and managers. There will always be mistakes, learn from them and someday it will all come together..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Bambi wrote: »
    Don't think its a coincidence that a team who get to hire and fire managers is also a team that leaks that sort of thing

Very unfair, tbh. This year, more than any other, very little has been leaked out of the camp (nonsense rumours started by people who have personal issues with certain players don't count) and they've looked very tight this year as a team and as mates. But sure, there'll always be people who will use the management heave as a stick to beat the players with despite knowing next to nothing about what went on there.

And anyway, people knew and were talking about Andrews coming in for Dublin a while before throw in too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The dubs will be looking for a 3 in a row next year, they'll have jack McCaffrey and Rory O Carroll back, I'm afraid it will be even harder next year!

Of course they will be looking for 3 in a row! And then 4 and then 5! That doesn't mean that it will be anymore difficult next year for any other counties necessarily. Re McCaffery and O Carroll a season out of the game is not necessarily a good thing. The "coming back fresh" aspect can be over emphasised at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

not necessarily, they are competing year in, year out with the most fearsome team in decades. They are losing by the minimal margins and well capable of beating them and shoyuld have done the last day and could have done yesterday, was it not for an unprecedented amount of goalkeeping errors and losing Keegan was massive also. The likes of COC is young and they have another good batch of players coming through in the next couple of years.

They have a fierce resilience and the most irrational mentality the way they keep coming back, both in seasons and even in games.
    This Dublin team could dominate now but at the end of the day, when they/if they play eachother there will never be much between them and it just takes that bit of sway, the way Dublin got it on the drawn game, to take them over the line.

Scr£w curses, bottlers, not good enough. They are well able and I am sure this batch will.

Until they find a marquee forward or 2 and a full back they wont.This team has had any amount of chances to win all irelands but they can't and I wouldnt rely on o'connor improving much either.Surely there has to be better forwards on the under 21 team than some which started yesterday.

Miccoli wrote: »
    Until they find a marquee forward or 2 and a full back they wont.This team has had any amount of chances to win all irelands but they can't and I wouldnt rely on o'connor improving much either.Surely there has to be better forwards on the under 21 team than some which started yesterday.

in fairness they almost won it this w/o both. 1 point over 150 + minutes (Inj Time) And a kick of a ball that went just wide. Some bad luck (not wholly but some all the same) with the own goals, and as I said an unprecedented amount of goalkeeping mistakes in the replay.
    I agree, they are missing something special in the forwards. And maybe they will find it. Both O Connors are getting better, year in, year out.. COC is 24, he has plenty of potential to add some more craft and guile to his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

not necessarily, they are competing year in, year out with the most fearsome team in decades. They are losing by the minimal margins and well capable of beating them and shoyuld have done the last day and could have done yesterday, was it not for an unprecedented amount of goalkeeping errors and losing Keegan was massive also. The likes of COC is young and they have another good batch of players coming through in the next couple of years.

They have a fierce resilience and the most irrational mentality the way they keep coming back, both in seasons and even in games.
    This Dublin team could dominate now but at the end of the day, when they/if they play eachother there will never be much between them and it just takes that bit of sway, the way Dublin got it on the drawn game, to take them over the line.

Scr£w curses, bottlers, not good enough. They are well able and I am sure this batch will.

The gulf between the teams is not a point or two. It's Dublins four All Ireland's in six years and four leagues in a row versus Mayo winning Connaught.

Even with most of the other contenders in the doldrums the last few years, Mayo can't bridge that gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

There is a good enough story even without the win but given the substance of the recent history it will probably be classified as a political thriller rather than a sporting film.

Seriously what in the fcuk are you blathering on about?

Today is a day for constructive criticism and informed analysis...not the conspiracy theory drivel that you've been crapping on about all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Of course they will be looking for 3 in a row! And then 4 and then 5! That doesn't mean that it will be anymore difficult next year for any other counties necessarily. Re McCaffery and O Carroll a season out of the game is not necessarily a good thing. The "coming back fresh" aspect can be over emphasised at times.

O'Carroll probably won't be back next year, it was lost in the build up to this game. Jack McCaffrey said this a couple of week's ago "My understanding of it is that Rory isn't available for next year, but I'm not 100pc sure. He went away for work. I'm not sure how that side of things will pan out for him," he said.

• Advertisement

The gulf between the teams is not a point or two. It's Dublins four All Ireland's in six years and four leagues in a row versus Mayo winning Connaught.

Even with most of the other contenders in the doldrums the last few years, Mayo can't bridge that gap.

I think you'll find that every year there are only ever about 2-3 teams with a realistic chance of winning an All-Ireland, that never changes

It comes down to 70 minutes at the end of the day. Its the team on the day and I firmly believe Mayo gan gather themselves and compete next year. Dublin clearly have an edge over them, both on factual terms and trophy terms. But one match is all it takes (maybe 2!) to beat them and I believe they can. They are not unbeatable. Both Kerry, Mayo showed that the last month. They are w/o doubt favourites again next year of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'd have my doubts about this version of the Mayo team ever doing it to be honest despite coming close a couple of times now. A number of big players will be in their 30's next season and can only start slipping at that stage of their careers. A Moran, A Dillion, G Cafferky, C Boyle, K Higgins, S O Shea, B Moran, C Barrett all in their 30s. Andy Moran had an Indian summer this year but no guarantee he'll be able to repeat that another year older. Even the lads in their mid to late 20's have serious milage on the clock. Lots of big games under their belt, fair few replays, etc. I know Mayo keep coming back but eventually the well just runs dry.

One thing in Mayo's favour is there doesn't seem to be too many genuine contenders to topple Dublin. Kerry will have to wait a few years for their minors to transition through. Who else is there really? Maybe Tyrone can improve again and challenge but there is a lack of contenders out there unless someone new emerges.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Robeman

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Seriously what in the fcuk are you blathering on about?

Today is a day for constructive criticism and informed analysis...not the conspiracy theory drivel that you've been crapping on about all day.

Mine is constructive criticism. I am long gone past blaming the ref, the weather, the curse or the cheating opposition, missing just one more forward. I believe in getting to the core of our problem which is how we manage things ourselves.

Your conspiracy theory is what I call mismanagement.

There have been a number of occasions where I have had first hand knowledge of a story (non football) and subsequently read about it in the media. What the media wrote had no relationship with what happened in reality.

One cannot always believe what one reads in the media including boards like this. Maybe what I am saying is complete fiction just to wind people up. On the other hand it could be the most incisive comment on this board. It is up to the readers to decide.

I saw Elvis yesterday and he told me that Robert Hennelly change was due to kick out issues in the drawn game. It must be true so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

scrawnyass wrote: »
    As a Clareman I thought Id never see us win an All Ireland(hurling).We had Biddy Earleys curse. Trust me , its only a matter of time before Mayo win one again..Keep the faith.Always keep the faith.

The thing is once Clare got to a final they did the business.

I am disappointed in Rochford, I thought he was the one.
    In reality has he achieved anything more this year than the lads last year.

It looks like more of the same where a manager gets us to the final or decisive semi and then has a brain fart.
    And I think he also screwed up in the drawn game as well in a way that harped back to the days of Maughan.
    Seamie O'shea had to screw up four times which resulted in at least three points before he was taken off.
    The difference between a good manager and a great one is that the great one would have acted decisively earlier and spotted earlier he was tiring and should be gotten off immediately.
    Rochford waited.

Yesterday he inexplicably changed goalie and Clarke apart from a few so so kickouts had been a game saver two weeks before.
    Hennelly hasn't been figuring and throwing him back in for final replay was a gamble.

But there are other issues that have prevented us wining both yesterday and in other years.
    We often haven't gotten the rub of the green and a few refs have managed to screw us as well.
    But sometimes you have take bad calls from refs to win and other teams have managed it.

This trite cr** about lack of bottle is often trotted out and it does my head in.
    If these players had no bottle they would have slunk off and not keep coming back year after year challenging.
    We have been the second best team in the country despite all the kickings in finals and semis.

But there is some form of physocological thing that often kicks in with Mayo teams, a kind of rabit in the headlights and a lack of ruthlessness to go for the throat.
    Look at Castlebar in the club final.

The best football this Mayo team has played over the last few years against the big teams is when they look beaten and they are behind.
    They just seem to throw the shackles off and go for it.
    Look what happens when they are ahead.
    Look at the micking about they did at the end against Tyrone.
    They did their best to gift it to Tyrone when other teams would push on.

The other truth, as more than a few has said, is that we are not good enough in some departments.
    We do not have a enough real talent in the forwards.
    COC whilst a great free taker does not contribute enough on the scoreboard to make him one of the true greats.
    Look at how down the years the real scoring threat has come from the backs breaking forward.

We are close, but close doesn't win the prize.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

did anyone else think it was out of place, or just plain rude on the "sunday game" show last night, that all the pundits were asked if mayo will win in the next few years. All said no except for joe brolly, who gave a diplomatic answer of "why cant they". I just thought that was extremely disrespectful to a team that was 2nd best for 5 years in a row, and lost by a point to the "well oiled machine" one thats touted as "the best team ever", a team that we werent allowed a look in at before the game. IF thats the case then mayo should take the next few years off!

• Advertisement

It comes down to 70 minutes at the end of the day. Its the team on the day and I firmly believe Mayo gan gather themselves and compete next year. Dublin clearly have an edge over them, both on factual terms and trophy terms. But one match is all it takes (maybe 2!) to beat them and I believe they can. They are not unbeatable. Both Kerry, Mayo showed that the last month. They are w/o doubt favourites again next year of course.

It's about the scoreboard..not 70 minutes. Hence lads around here losing the run of themselves over the last week over a draw.

Dublin are beatable, but no ones doing it. They'll take that kind of beatable all day. As opposed to being actually beaten, or unlucky, or whatever you're having yourself :confused:

If you think that Mayo team are going to be sailing into a final every couple of years until circumstances conspire to land them an All Ireland you're sorely wrong. Opportunities have to be taken, they don't come often. Mayo don't take them

Barlett wrote: »
    I think you'll find that every year there are only ever about 2-3 teams with a realistic chance of winning an All-Ireland, that never changes

True, but there's also always been perennial teams that will there or thereabouts, and then other teams who, on their day, can cause an upset and beat anyone. That's been missing the last few years, it has been just four-five teams and the rest nowhere.

I think thats changing and once it does Mayo won't find all ireland finals that easy to come by.

It's about the scoreboard..not 70 minutes. Hence lads around here losing the run of themselves over the last week over a draw.

Dublin are beatable, but no ones doing it. They'll take that kind of beatable all day. As opposed to being actually beaten, or unlucky, or whatever you're having yourself :confused:

If you think that Mayo team are going to be sailing into a final every couple of years until circumstances conspire to land them an All Ireland you're sorely wrong. Opportunities have to be taken, they don't come often. Mayo don't take them

True, but there's also always been perennial teams that will there or thereabouts, and then other teams who, on their day, can cause an upset and beat anyone. That's been missing the last few years, it has been just four-five teams and the rest nowhere.

I think thats changing and once it does Mayo won't find all ireland finals that easy to come by.

Of course, we are in our current cycle of being one of the better teams, that will end and we'll disappear again for a few years but we'll be back again for another cycle as we have been every decade since the 80s. Only Kerry have played in more AI finals than us in the last 25 years, I have no doubts we will keep coming back. It's a cycle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

I think one positive that came from this season is that the Connacht championship is competitive again. Mayo will be looking to take their title back from Galway and Roscommon will also be in the mix

Squatman wrote: »
    did anyone else think it was out of place, or just plain rude on the "sunday game" show last night, that all the pundits were asked if mayo will win in the next few years. All said no except for joe brolly, who gave a diplomatic answer of "why cant they"

I don't think Brolly meant it like that...

I don't think Brolly meant it like that...

Look it lads, taking offence at what 'analysts' say about what teams can or can't do is a waste of them. Majority of them haven't a clue - Spillane basically said you need good underage players coming through and Mayo don't have them despite being U21 champions. Do any of us know who will win the All Ireland in two years?? No, why? Because what the f**k would be the point if we did.

As Brolly has said umpteen times, take no notice of what he says one week he'll say you're great and another he'll write you off because its all a load of sh1te talk anyway. I love my County and I love supporting them through thick and thin and no keyboard warrior or football pundit makes a bit of difference to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Re McCaffery and O Carroll a season out of the game is not necessarily a good thing. The "coming back fresh" aspect can be over emphasised at times.

Worked for Paul Mannion, he got an All-Ireland medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Heartbroken like the rest of you guys.Hopefully some of our under 21s will be blooded or given more game time in the FBD and league.Stephen Coen,Conor Loftus,Matthew Ruane,Brian Reape and Matthew Flanagan are deserving of same.Here's hoping we can discover some gem of a forward in the interim.

It is really is laughable and nonsensical the notion that we celebrate mediocrity or second place.Nothing could be further from the truth.Deep disappointment at another final loss is the reality within the county.However same does not prevent us from showing our appreciation for what the lads including the management have sacrificed in our names.Our hurt is nothing to the devastation these amateur players are feeling after another so near yet so far day at the office.

It was nice to be able to thank them in a small way at the very low key homecoming.

Honestly, the lads looked like they wanted to be anywhere else, understandably enough. I've no problem with a low key homecoming. It's now more than ever that supporters should be there. Obviously the defeat is personal for the players as they are the ones directly involved and there's probably very little a supporter can say to console them, but they do seem to genuinely appreciate what the supporters do for them and I think it's good to show that support once more, especially after a tough defeat. Cillian has said how thankful they are for the support and being there through thick and thin is important. We may not have won the big prize yet, but there are a lot of great young fellas playing on that team who have taken some hard knocks, but they keep coming back and they keep giving us great days out. As said above by another poster, I love following them, I love supporting them, and will continue to do so whatever happens down the road.

I spoke to one of the mothers today as well and she said there's a great deal of disappointment, but she reckons they'll pick themselves up from it. Some U21s should be ready to get involved in the new year too. In addition to the ones you've mentioned seligehgit, I expect to see more of Brian Reape next year and possibly Michael Hall, who I think did see some game time earlier this year (open to correction on that!). These lads need to be properly blooded in the league. As for those involved yesterday, I think they're allowed to wallow for a while, but they should probably just go and enjoy the next couple of months with family and friends, settle back into real life, and get over the Christmas. Come back to it with a fresh mind in the new year.

EDIT: You did mention Brian Reape, seligehgit, my bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PressRun wrote: »
    Honestly, the lads looked like they wanted to be anywhere else, understandably enough. I spoke to one of the mothers today as well and she said there's a great deal of disappointment, but she reckons they'll pick themselves up from it. Some U21s should be ready to get involved in the new year too. In addition to the ones you've mentioned seligehgit, I expect to see more of Brian Reape next year and possibly Michael Hall, who I think did see some game time earlier this year (open to correction on that!). These lads need to be properly blooded in the league. As for those involved yesterday, I think they're allowed to wallow for a while, but they should probably just go and enjoy the next couple of months with family and friends, settle back into real life, and get over the Christmas. Come back to it with a fresh mind in the new year.

Totally agree PressRun,I'm sure it's the last place they wanted to be but all credit to them as I'm sure they made a lot of the young children's day to view their heroes.They are marvellous ambassadors for the county win,lose or draw.

Indeed Michael Hall is another lad who got limited game time earlier in the year and is undoubtedly part of the future of this proud county's senior team.

I'd be hopeful that outside of possibly Andy and Alan the rest will be positive about going again next year.

Full back is another position we need to be nurturing some new blood.

Honestly, the lads looked like they wanted to be anywhere else, understandably enough. I've no problem with a low key homecoming. It's now more than ever that supporters should be there. Obviously the defeat is personal for the players as they are the ones directly involved and there's probably very little a supporter can say to console them, but they do seem to genuinely appreciate what the supporters do for them and I think it's good to show that support once more, especially after a tough defeat. Cillian has said how thankful they are for the support and being there through thick and thin is important. We may not have won the big prize yet, but there are a lot of great young fellas playing on that team who have taken some hard knocks, but they keep coming back and they keep giving us great days out. As said above by another poster, I love following them, I love supporting them, and will continue to do so whatever happens down the road.

I spoke to one of the mothers today as well and she said there's a great deal of disappointment, but she reckons they'll pick themselves up from it. Some U21s should be ready to get involved in the new year too. In addition to the ones you've mentioned seligehgit, I expect to see more of Brian Reape next year and possibly Michael Hall, who I think did see some game time earlier this year (open to correction on that!). These lads need to be properly blooded in the league. As for those involved yesterday, I think they're allowed to wallow for a while, but they should probably just go and enjoy the next couple of months with family and friends, settle back into real life, and get over the Christmas. Come back to it with a fresh mind in the new year.

The mother I would personally like to speak with today would be David Clarkes mother or even his father or any other member of his family. I wonder how they felt yesterday when they heard their son was dropped. I would be enraged if it was my son being treated like he was. I don't expect him to come back next season. He was definitely NOT one of the "egos" funnily enough none of the "Egos" featured among the Sunday game team of the season.

Is there really nothing mods can do about this fella? Clogging up an ruining two threads with complete nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

The mother I would personally like to speak with today would be David Clarkes mother or even his father or any other member of his family. I wonder how they felt yesterday when they heard their son was dropped. I would be enraged if it was my son being treated like he was. I don't expect him to come back next season. He was definitely NOT one of the "egos" funnily enough none of the "Egos" featured among the Sunday game team of the season.

Don't no who u are robeman put ffs wiill give it a rest we are all heartbroken from the defeat.
    I've heard since Clark had a small bone broke in his hand from the first game don't no if it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Jesus, will you get a life

seligehgit wrote: »
    Totally agree PressRun,I'm sure it's the last place they wanted to be but all credit to them as I'm sure they made a lot of the young children's day to view their heroes.They are marvellous ambassadors for the county win,lose or draw.

Indeed Michael Hall is another lad who got limited game time earlier in the year and is undoubtedly part of the future of this proud county's senior team.

I'd be hopeful that outside of possibly Andy and Alan the rest will be positive about going again next year.

Full back is another position we need to be nurturing some new blood.

Hopefully Ger Cafferky will be back for next year too. Last I saw him, he was on crutches and the road to recovery was looking very long. Twas a horrible injury he picked up.

Robeman you should lead the charge in exposing this massive conspiracy in Mayo football, it could be your Watergate moment!

• Advertisement

Is there really nothing mods can do about this fella? Clogging up an ruining two threads with complete nonsense.

I am not breaking any rules of the forum. My opinions differ from yours and you want me banned. Charming

Historically in many societies people with different opions not of the main stream were ridiculed, banned, tortured etc. I would hope that this forum is not becoming a society like that.

I have not made any personal remarks about any other posters but many have on the receiving end of many and moderators have choosen not to act even though against their own rules.

What is is about my opinions that disturb you so much ? Is it that they possibly might be true.

I am not breaking any rules of the forum. My opinions differ from yours and you want me banned. Charming

Historically in many societies people with different opions not of the main stream were ridiculed, banned, tortured etc. I would hope that this forum is not becoming a society like that.

I have not made any personal remarks about any other posters but many have on the receiving end of many and moderators have choosen not to act even though against their own rules.

What is is about my opinions that disturb you so much ? Is it that they possibly might be true.

The issue is your relying on hearsay. The major issue with what you say is happening is this...why would 50 people including the likes of Donie Buckley and Tony McEntee stay in a situation where a few players are calling the shots. Those two men alone could walk into any backroom team in the country and receive similar rewards...why would they stay in a team where 20 somethings were telling them what to do?

Yes, this thread is communist Russia.

naughto wrote: »
    Don't no who u are robeman put ffs wiill give it a rest we are all heartbroken from the defeat.
    I've heard since Clark had a small bone broke in his hand from the first game don't no if it's true.

And do you think I am not heartbroken as well. I am not only heartbroken I am mad as hell at what has happened this past year. Every other year I was just heart broken.

I want to win next time.

Dont worry I will be gone soon as I can see that I am knocking my head off a brick wall here. Everybody here seem to want to beat their breasts and say woe betide us life is just not fair instead of solving the real problems of Mayo GAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

I think the problem is that everything you are posting is pure negative,so it's hard for anyone to take you seriously.It's like you spent the last month composing this dossier of negatively.Luckily for ya Cillian missed that free yesterday or you may have never got to publish it,well done on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I was stunned to hear there was a homecoming. Why should the players have to endure that? I saw a video if it on the Connacht Telegraph facebook page and it was very clear that they didnt want to be there. They looked extremely uncomfortable standing on the stage.

I dont know much about Mayo's under 21s but I guess the question is: Are the players coming through as good as some of the older players going out? For example, is Conor Loftus as good as Andy Moran? From what I have seen of these younger players, I am not convinced they are better.

I also think that today was a huge victory for Dublin that could completely re-energise them for next year. If you are Cormac Costello today, you would be thinking "I cant wait for next year - I am going to nail a place on that team and be a key player in a 3 in a row team". They now have a wonderful opportunity to completely cement their status as one of the great teams by doing a 3 in a row.

On the other hand, if you are a Mayo player, you will probably dread the thought of going back training next year and starting the whole process again. The Mayo panel got absolutely everything they wanted this year - the management team, the clubs matches postponed and I have heard of other small things they requested. But they got everything! A Mayo player could be thinking tonight "We gave it everything. There is nothing else we could have done. If we didnt win it this year after the way we prepared, then we wont win it any year". And that has to be a huge huge worry for Mayo.

Robeman you should lead the charge in exposing this massive conspiracy in Mayo football, it could be your Watergate moment!

I suppose in the same way that many on this forum hope to expose the massive refereeing conspiracy against Mayo and many other hope to expose the way lady luck always conspires against us.

Why do so many on this forum have an issue when I say this defeat particularly along with the 9 others was all of our own making. If we cannot accept responsibility for our own defeats how can we ever accept responsibility for victory when it comes along. Will a victory when it finally comes along be down to a favourable ref and a dose of good luck.

The truth hurts.

I suppose in the same way that many on this forum hope to expose the massive refereeing conspiracy against Mayo and many other hope to expose the way lady luck always conspires against us.

Why do so many on this forum have an issue when I say this defeat particularly along with the 9 others was all of our own making. If we cannot accept responsibility for our own defeats how can we ever accept responsibility for victory when it comes along. Will a victory when it finally comes along be down to a favourable ref and a dose of good luck.

The truth hurts.

Of course the defeat was of our own making, I don't disagree but as I said where is the evidence of your theory...why hasn't anyone walked away from the camp if it is such a mess? Indeed how did they make an AI final at all??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The truth hurts.

It does indeed. It's a shame you haven't a notion of what it is and worse still, you think that you do.

Here's a tip: when literally every poster that isn't a troll disagrees with you, you aren't the one who's right. Get the tinfoil hat off and appreciate what the players do for the county every time they pull the shirt on, or nobody will take you in any way seriously. As another poster said, if Cilian scored that point yesterday and we went on to win, there wouldn't be a peep out of you, and the point wasn't missed because of a corrupt county board or a few big egos oppressing the management team.

• Advertisement

The issue is your relying on hearsay. The major issue with what you say is happening is this...why would 50 people including the likes of Donie Buckley and Tony McEntee stay in a situation where a few players are calling the shots. Those two men alone could walk into any backroom team in the country and receive similar rewards...why would they stay in a team where 20 somethings were telling them what to do?

They are professionals doing a job. Many people work in companies where they may not agree with what is going on but get on with it nonetheless if it does not affect them personally.

Your point begs the question were they part of the RH decision. If they were as part of management team and they admitted it in an interview for another backroom team it would not be a positive mark.

It is a very valid point though

Yes, this thread is communist Russia.

Well I do get the impression that you want me exiled to Siberia to one of the gulags. Or given that this is Mayo to deepest Erris.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 koochie

naughto wrote: »

We all may be heartbroken, but if we don't address the crux of the problem we will be in the same position again next year.
    An ex player from Armagh was able to inform me in the early of the hours this morning that certain players within the Mayo squad are calling the shots. I'm not going to pretend that this was news to me.

The whole country was behind us yesterday, we have the goodwill wishes of the neutrals.

However, last year these players (or a certain sect of them) turned on their management and were never made accountable. This to me was disgusting.

If it is a case that these same players are overstepping the mark and calling the shots this year, its about time somebody calls a halt.
    Players play, managers manage. When lines are crossed disaster is inevitable.

Respect, integrity, and focus are key to healthy relationships within a team squad.
    Robeman may be quite accurate in his summation of what is going on. And if he is my heart goes out to Clarke. Why is everyone feeling sorry for Robbie? It was Clark that was robbed of his All-Ireland glory and a probable All-Star Award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Neither Mayo nor Kerry ever really put Dublin under the cosh, yes they competed, but they never built up a lead that made Dublin afraid. Next year Dublin have more to fear from Tyrone and possibly Tipperary who showed no fear.

Kerry, Donegal, Mayo, they are all obsessed with stopping Dublin rather than figuring out how to win.

gigantic09 wrote: »
    I think the problem is that everything you are posting is pure negative,so it's hard for anyone to take you seriously.It's like you spent the last month composing this dossier of negatively.Luckily for ya Cillian missed that free yesterday or you may have never got to publish it,well done on that.

The point is he did miss it and we lost there are no positives. I have to admit I was happy losing in 1989. The result did not matter we had reached a final I was happy with that. 9 finals later losing is not an option.

The fate of game should not have come down to COC's kick we should have been comfortably ahead.

The seeds of this disaster were sown a year ago not a month ago. I did not wait until this game was over before I commented 5 weeks ago when I said Mayo would lose and why. I was ridiculed then and the same now.

I will be gone shortly so you can all get back to normal talking about the small stuff while other counties win the All Ireland.

I wish I could say not my circus not my monkeys but I can't I am a purebred Mayo man, a culchie and a bogger. I want Mayo to win and if I have to ruffle feathers in a small way to help make it happen then so be it.

I was stunned to hear there was a homecoming. Why should the players have to endure that? I saw a video if it on the Connacht Telegraph facebook page and it was very clear that they didnt want to be there. They looked extremely uncomfortable standing on the stage.

I dont know much about Mayo's under 21s but I guess the question is: Are the players coming through as good as some of the older players going out? For example, is Conor Loftus as good as Andy Moran? From what I have seen of these younger players, I am not convinced they are better.

I also think that today was a huge victory for Dublin that could completely re-energise them for next year. If you are Cormac Costello today, you would be thinking "I cant wait for next year - I am going to nail a place on that team and be a key player in a 3 in a row team". They now have a wonderful opportunity to completely cement their status as one of the great teams by doing a 3 in a row.

On the other hand, if you are a Mayo player, you will probably dread the thought of going back training next year and starting the whole process again. The Mayo panel got absolutely everything they wanted this year - the management team, the clubs matches postponed and I have heard of other small things they requested. But they got everything! A Mayo player could be thinking tonight "We gave it everything. There is nothing else we could have done. If we didnt win it this year after the way we prepared, then we wont win it any year". And that has to be a huge huge worry for Mayo.

And what do you expect them to do? Just throw in the towel and decide they're not bothered anymore? That's obviously not going to happen and it'll be hard to pick themselves up from it, but they've done it before and they're still a relatively young team. They'll be taking it hard now and for a while after this, but they have something to build on for next year.

There are a few good players coming through from the U21s who need to get game time to prove themselves. Is Conor Loftus as good as Andy Moran? Maybe he is. The only way to find out is to give him and others a chance.

• Advertisement

Of course the defeat was of our own making, I don't disagree but as I said where is the evidence of your theory...why hasn't anyone walked away from the camp if it is such a mess? Indeed how did they make an AI final at all??

Nobody has walked because they all want to win an AI. The committment is not in question. Some though in my opinion only survived on this panel because of the change in management.

The skill levels of players also not in doubt. If we had dropped this panel into Kerry or Tyrone set up they would have won AI or two. The Mayo set up is what is preventing the breakthrough.

koochie wrote: »
    We all may be heartbroken, but if we don't address the crux of the problem we will be in the same position again next year.
    An ex player from Armagh was able to inform me in the early of the hours this morning that certain players within the Mayo squad are calling the shots. I'm not going to pretend that this was news to me.

The whole country was behind us yesterday, we have the goodwill wishes of the neutrals.

However, last year these players (or a certain sect of them) turned on their management and were never made accountable. This to me was disgusting.

If it is a case that these same players are overstepping the mark and calling the shots this year, its about time somebody calls a halt.
    Players play, managers manage. When lines are crossed disaster is inevitable.

Respect, integrity, and focus are key to healthy relationships within a team squad.
    Robeman may be quite accurate in his summation of what is going on. And if he is my heart goes out to Clarke. Why is everyone feeling sorry for Robbie? It was Clark that was robbed of his All-Ireland glory and a probable All-Star Award.

Praise be to god I am no longer alone in the wilderness.

Nobody has walked because they all want to win an AI. The committment is not in question. Some though in my opinion only survived on this panel because of the change in management.

The skill levels of players also not in doubt. If we had dropped this panel into Kerry or Tyrone set up they would have won AI or two. The Mayo set up is what is preventing the breakthrough.

Totally agree with Robeman, we
    have too many defeats behind us to bury our Heads in the sand. If we continue to blindly support the superegos on this team we will need to bring Kleenex to more homecomings.

koochie wrote: »
    Totally agree with Robeman, we have to ma

Jesus don't tell me that they have silenced you before you got a chance to support me futher. This conspiracy is bigger than I thought. How did they find you so quickly and cut you off mid sentence The CIA must be involved as well

fee wrote: »
    Jesus don't tell me that they have silenced you before you got a chance to support me futher. This conspiracy is bigger than I thought. How did they find you so quickly and cut you off mid sentence The CIA must be involved as well

Haha, no I just have a dodgy phone 😄. I posted a few times last year but learned fairly quickly that it is unpopular to expect certain standards of conduct from those who have the honour of wearing our county jersey.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement