Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Robeman

koochie wrote: »
    Haha, no I just have a dodgy phone 😄. I posted a few times last year but learned fairly quickly that it is unpopular to expect certain standards of conduct from those who have the honour of wearing our county jersey.

I am going to bed happy. I now have one supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 koochie

Robeman wrote: »
    I am going to bed happy. I now have one supporter.

Where were you last year when I needed you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

They are professionals doing a job. Many people work in companies where they may not agree with what is going on but get on with it nonetheless if it does not affect them personally.

Your point begs the question were they part of the RH decision. If they were as part of management team and they admitted it in an interview for another backroom team it would not be a positive mark.

It is a very valid point though

Ok and this goes for you too Koochie, why would Stephen Rochford, an up and coming manager stay in the job when he has no say in the team? I mean it's him that's being criticised tonight by public and press so surely he'll walk away if the players are in control rather than risk damaging his reputation?

And I'm not trying to take the piss lads, but when you're arguing something that nobody else believes its effectively a conspiracy theory. And that's my issue, if there is an issue someone would leave, speak out etc And that's what I'm asking, why in a team of 50-55 people has nobody done or said anything? Surely now people will leave if what you say is true then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I was stunned to hear there was a homecoming. Why should the players have to endure that? I saw a video if it on the Connacht Telegraph facebook page and it was very clear that they didnt want to be there. They looked extremely uncomfortable standing on the stage.

I dont know much about Mayo's under 21s but I guess the question is: Are the players coming through as good as some of the older players going out? For example, is Conor Loftus as good as Andy Moran? From what I have seen of these younger players, I am not convinced they are better.

I also think that today was a huge victory for Dublin that could completely re-energise them for next year. If you are Cormac Costello today, you would be thinking "I cant wait for next year - I am going to nail a place on that team and be a key player in a 3 in a row team". They now have a wonderful opportunity to completely cement their status as one of the great teams by doing a 3 in a row.

On the other hand, if you are a Mayo player, you will probably dread the thought of going back training next year and starting the whole process again. The Mayo panel got absolutely everything they wanted this year - the management team, the clubs matches postponed and I have heard of other small things they requested. But they got everything! A Mayo player could be thinking tonight "We gave it everything. There is nothing else we could have done. If we didnt win it this year after the way we prepared, then we wont win it any year". And that has to be a huge huge worry for Mayo.

Arragh now you were hardly stunned.
    Most teams have homecomings after a loss, Newsflash: They even do them in Kerry.

They are mainly for the kids, these guys are heroes to kids and any chance to see them in person is a big deal for the kids

Yes it may be uncomfortable for some players but they have all winter to access things, no need to run and hide on the first day.

This crop of players have given us Mayo folk many a exciting day out, no harm in people showing their continued support at a homecoming event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Robeman, you obviously know someone in the camp who's getting screwed over. Who doesn't like what they're seeing? Who isn't agreeing with the egos? And this person is still staying with the team. If you're right, then this person is a sheep and a coward. I wouldn't tolerate this if it was happening on my junior b team!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Robeman, you obviously know someone in the camp who's getting screwed over. Who doesn't like what they're seeing? Who isn't agreeing with the egos? And this person is still staying with the team. If you're right, then this person is a sheep and a coward. I wouldn't tolerate this if it was happening on my junior b team!

I remember thinking it was odd last year that Lee Keegan came out in support of Holmes/Connelly when the heave was under way.
    If the management team were so bad as to scupper any chance of success then no player should have supported them and it certainly gave a hint of a disjointed dressing room.

Living out of the county I no longer have my finger on the pulse so I have no basis to believe/disbelieve any rumours of ongoing issues.

I feel sorry for both keepers in this debacle. Surely that performance will put Rob Hennelly in a very bad place to come back from. His big game reputation is now in tatters and Clarke has effectively been told he's not trusted either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Panrich wrote: »
    Clarke has effectively been told he's not trusted either.

It's not like Alex Ferguson dropping Jim Leighton for the cup final though is it, I mean there has been a churn of Mayo goalies for the last few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

It's not like Alex Ferguson dropping Jim Leighton for the cup final though is it, I mean there has been a churn of Mayo goalies for the last few years...

You're right it's not. Leighton was at that stage a hopeless case, and it was a charitable act to put him out of his misery.

Clarke had been dependable on temperament and had come into the team after Hennelly was dropped for making a howler against Galway. His last outing in Croke park was a horror show against the same opposition as Saturday. So it could be argued that it was like reinstating Leighton.

If Clarke decides to walk away and age is coming against him, where are we now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Thank god match was on a Saturday so we had Sunday to spend alone and not have to face work/life commitments, not faring too great today. My heart is in Mayo and my mind is still in Croke Park.

Love Mayo

By the way have any of ye heard the MidWest commentary at the closing minutes of the game? It's absolutely heart breaking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Godge wrote:
    Neither Mayo nor Kerry ever really put Dublin under the cosh, yes they competed, but they never built up a lead that made Dublin afraid. Next year Dublin have more to fear from Tyrone and possibly Tipperary who showed no fear.

Godge wrote:
    Kerry, Donegal, Mayo, they are all obsessed with stopping Dublin rather than figuring out how to win.

Nonsense post

I haven't been able to bring myself to so much as even watch the highlights of the game again, so I feel unable to offer any analysis of what I believe went wrong, I'd always like to have re-watched the game again and confirm my feelings. But one thing I will say is this, Mayo were seriously underestimated going into this final and Dublin were overestimated - there is nothing between those two teams.

You just hope and pray that the lads have the heart to keep going another year or two because they are right there, so close. And for the record I wouldn't say a bad word against them if they all retired in the morning. They've given so much to the cause. At the end of the day, these players are chasing our dream for us because we aren't good enough to do it for ourselves, we ought to be very grateful, I know I am anyway. I can't bear to hear any personal criticism of management or players to be honest, it absolutely stinks in my opinion. Keep the faith and be proud of our team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Panrich wrote: »
    You're right it's not. Leighton was at that stage a hopeless case, and it was a charitable act to put him out of his misery.

Clarke had been dependable on temperament and had come into the team after Hennelly was dropped for making a howler against Galway. His last outing in Croke park was a horror show against the same opposition as Saturday. So it could be argued that it was like reinstating Leighton.

If Clarke decides to walk away and age is coming against him, where are we now?

Not too sure if age is against David Clarke as yet.He is 32 years of age which is not as big an issue in his position.Cluxton is 36 years of age I believe.

My heart goes out to him as he didn't deserve to be dropped.I really hope he doesn't walk away but I could understand it if he does.

Matthew Flanagan is the obvious candidate to be our next senior goalkeeper,I rate him very highly.Excellent temperament,good kickout, solid under the high ball and a good shot stopper.

Hope Liam Irwin is drafted in for the FBD league

I haven't been able to bring myself to so much as even watch the highlights of the game again, so I feel unable to offer any analysis of what I believe went wrong, I'd always like to have re-watched the game again and confirm my feelings. But one thing I will say is this, Mayo were seriously underestimated going into this final and Dublin were overestimated - there is nothing between those two teams.

You just hope and pray that the lads have the heart to keep going another year or two because they are right there, so close. And for the record I wouldn't say a bad word against them if they all retired in the morning. They've given so much to the cause. At the end of the day, these players are chasing our dream for us because we aren't good enough to do it for ourselves, we ought to be very grateful, I know I am anyway. I can't bear to hear any personal criticism of management or players to be honest, it absolutely stinks in my opinion. Keep the faith and be proud of our team.

Great post.I have not been able to watch the match back or the Saturday Game.Ditto any of the post match podcasts.At some stage over the darkness of the winter I might have the heart to watch them back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Ballinrobe is not too far from Hollymount. I'm sure what Robeman is saying would be the general talk around Hollymount. Whether it is true or not is another question.

Praise be to god I am no longer alone in the wilderness.

You're such a hero. I hope RTE make a programmne about you when Mayo finally do win Sam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

By the way have any of ye heard the MidWest commentary at the closing minutes of the game? It's absolutely heart breaking

Yes And I really really wish I hadn't :(
    You can hear the hurt in Caseys voice

Also I NEVER watch any of the finals back. Don't read papers or listen to the podcasts. I try and just blank them from my mind
    But I just had to look at Cillians free cos I wasn't the other end and side of pitch. And it looked very tricky from my angle
    God I wish I hadn't see that either .it was way more kickable than I had thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Lads, can we stop quoting "Robeman" . I have him on ignore but his ramblings appear when he is quoted. Thanks.

km79 wrote:
    Also I NEVER watch any of the finals back. Don't read papers or listen to the podcasts. I try and just blank them from my mind But I just had to look at Cillians free cos I wasn't the other end and side of pitch. And it looked very tricky from my angle God I wish I hadn't see that either .it was way more kickable than I had thought

Yeah I seen that replay on Twitter and it killed me that it looked a lot easier on TV than where I was standing in the terrace. It looked a very difficult kick in real time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

seligehgit wrote: »
    Great post.I have not been able to watch the match back or the Saturday Game.Ditto any of the post match podcasts.At some stage over the darkness of the winter I might have the heart to watch them back.

And the same here. I might watch it back in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The mother I would personally like to speak with today would be David Clarkes mother or even his father or any other member of his family. I wonder how they felt yesterday when they heard their son was dropped. I would be enraged if it was my son being treated like he was. I don't expect him to come back next season. He was definitely NOT one of the "egos" funnily enough none of the "Egos" featured among the Sunday game team of the season.

And how do you think Rob Hennelly's family feel ?
    No one is a winner out of that situation.

If there was such disharmony in the camp it would surely have spilled out in some fashion, it always does.
    And every team has egos and if you think otherwise you are deluded, but jaysus will you leave off.
    It's like a broken stuck record.

Whilst I agree about not having pops at players who to all intents and purposes put their lives on hold to try and win, I think management can be rightly criticised.

Management don't have to sacrifice as much as players in their day to day lives and as we all know they are rewarded in ways players aren't.
    Management have not got a ticking clock that means their career is over.
    And to make matters worse a players top level career has gotten even shorter over the last decade and a couple of years under a non performing manager can mean some players never have a chance to win major honours.

And the above isn't specific to Mayo or this management team, but to all counties and clubs in both codes.

I am not allowed discuss …

Yeah I seen that replay on Twitter and it killed me that it looked a lot easier on TV than where I was standing in the terrace. It looked a very difficult kick in real time.

It was a very tough free. Long range kicks on a kickers "good side" are actually the toughest to get right. Harder to get the power and curl the ball in. He had to hit it harder and the danger with that is you will pull it, which is what happened. Was a freetaker myself and was left footed and always struggled with frees out the wing in or around the 45 yard line for that reason. He would have found it easier to kick it from the exact same position on the opposite side, despite Ger Canning's inevitable comment about it being "on the wrong side for a right footed taker".

A very tough kick and i don't factor it into the game analysis at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Peist2007 wrote: »
    It was a very tough free. Long range kicks on a kickers "good side" are actually the toughest to get right. Harder to get the power and curl the ball in. He had to hit it harder and the danger with that is you will pull it, which is what happened. Was a freetaker myself and was left footed and always struggled with frees out the wing in or around the 45 yard line for that reason. He would have found it easier to kick it from the exact same position on the opposite side, despite Ger Canning's inevitable comment about it being "on the wrong side for a right footed taker".

A very tough kick and i don't factor it into the game analysis at all.
    very good analysis of it !
    he definitely kicked harder through the ball alright to make sure he has the requisite distance on it
    Such a pity after 2 weeks that it was him to miss it.
    and STILL we had a chance to win the kickout.......aaaaagggghhhhhh

km79 wrote: »
    very good analysis of it !
    he definitely kicked harder through the ball alright to make sure he has the requisite distance on it
    Such a pity after 2 weeks that it was him to miss it.
    and STILL we had a chance to win the kickout.......aaaaagggghhhhhh

I don't blame individual errors really. It was a collective inability to get over the line whenever momentum looked like it was about to go in our favour. The fact the Dubs won this against a driven highly competitive team whilst not playing with any fluency is why i think they deserved it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭boosabum

jmayo wrote: »
    And how do you think Rob Hennelly's family feel ?
    No one is a winner out of that situation.

If there was such disharmony in the camp it would surely have spilled out in some fashion, it always does.
    And every team has egos and if you think otherwise you are deluded, but jaysus will you leave off.
    It's like a broken stuck record.

Whilst I agree about not having pops at players who to all intents and purposes put their lives on hold to try and win, I think management can be rightly criticised.

Management don't have to sacrifice as much as players in their day to day lives and as we all know they are rewarded in ways players aren't.
    Management have not got a ticking clock that means their career is over.
    And to make matters worse a players top level career has gotten even shorter over the last decade and a couple of years under a non performing manager can mean some players never have a chance to win major honours.

And the above isn't specific to Mayo or this management team, but to all counties and clubs in both codes.

Bit harsh there, Rochford has a 6 week old child at home. It's a big sacrifice to be taking focus away from a new born baby to be concentrating on what can be a very thankless task. managers have a short shelf life too, especially in Mayo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

boosabum wrote: »
    Bit harsh there, Rochford has a 6 week old child at home. It's a big sacrifice to be taking focus away from a new born baby to be concentrating on what can be a very thankless task. managers have a short shelf life too, especially in Mayo

He allowed (was forced to allow) the O'Shea brothers to name the baby I heard? Apparently they called him Robbie.

Any truth in that Robeman??

sorry, this postmortem needs some light relief!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

PressRun wrote: »
    Hopefully Ger Cafferky will be back for next year too. Last I saw him, he was on crutches and the road to recovery was looking very long. Twas a horrible injury he picked up.

I see him around where I work and he is walking un-aided. He is well on the way back for next year

koochie wrote: »
    Where were you last year when I needed you? :)

Drowing my sorrows and flooding the pub with tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

What a great exciting year we've had in fairness. Full of more ups and downs than a rollercoaster but yet again we have established ourselves as one of Ireland's greatest's. Proud of the Mayo team and the effort that they have put in since June to come back in such flying form since the loss to Galway.

Rochford may have slipped up the last day but throughout the year he has shown enough tact and guile to warrant another go imo. Some scary rumours flying around but I am still hoping that on the night of the third Sunday in September 2017, the entriety of Mayo will once again be able to party like it's 1951.

Proud to wear the Red and Green and Mayo for Sam 2017.

Also get those season tickets renewed! I was able to renew mine this morning even though I forgot to do it last year!!!

• Advertisement

If I've one wish for the winter it's to discover 1 or 2 real opinions in the FF line. It was very hard to watch Andy struggle in the second half and frustrating watching Barry in there. There was very little on offer from the FF line in the second half.

Scrap that, if I'm making wishes, let's hope for 2-3 options in there. The big man rarely works, thank you Star for making it the default plan B.

Barlett wrote: »
    Ok and this goes for you too Koochie, why would Stephen Rochford, an up and coming manager stay in the job when he has no say in the team? I mean it's him that's being criticised tonight by public and press so surely he'll walk away if the players are in control rather than risk damaging his reputation?

And I'm not trying to take the piss lads, but when you're arguing something that nobody else believes its effectively a conspiracy theory. And that's my issue, if there is an issue someone would leave, speak out etc And that's what I'm asking, why in a team of 50-55 people has nobody done or said anything? Surely now people will leave if what you say is true then?

Just go back and re examine every inquiry in Ireland. First it was all rumours and conspiracy then an enquiry and finally what was rumour \ conspiracy theory became accepted truth.

Think of the Birmingham Six \ Watergate. Most recently think of the enquiry into Hillsborough \ Liverpool fans. I can go on and on with plenty of examples of where rumour \ conspiracy theory became accepted truth once the evidence surfaced.

(Now before any of you jump up and down I know these were all way more serious issues and involved legal wrong doing which this situation absolutely does not anymore than any other sporting or political coups. The principle remains the same though))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

tacofries wrote: »
    Also get those season tickets renewed! I was able to renew mine this morning even though I forgot to do it last year!!!

At the minute I can't bring myself to renew I will Iam sure point.@robeman your an ass with all the sh1te u talk

There is a report button I suggest people use it with the ignore button

Speaking of sheep and cowards I will pose a further question and I would be grateful if any of you can answer it.

How many players of last years panel signed the letter to the county board that demanded the heads of Connolly and Holmes and how many did not. I still have not found any sight of this letter on internet.

This thread is descending into anarchy. Like the other threaed. Robeman, make a thread. If anyone is interested in your conspiracy theory trolling I have no doubt they will follow. I have tried reporting, it doesn't work but you are completely ruining and intervening in any line of conversation that the thread starts with the same sh1t for the past 48 hours.

Noone here has any answers for you. Stop trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭ClaptonBay

Didnt make a difference if Cillian had pointed that last kick, Dublin would've taken us in extra time. It would've only postponed the inevitable. I havent watched it back but it seemed Dublin had chances in the end to put a few more scores on the board only for some last ditch defending and some bad decisions on the Dublin side...

Anyway - we go again and gutted for the team, they have a serious ability to keep going and total respect for them. My opinion is we need to get some of the younger lads game time in the league and persist with them even for the championship. Even if they dont perform to well, you need that experience to learn from. Where Dublin brought on pace we brought on Dillon and Barry, and there was only i think two balls launched in high. It would be good to have the likes of Irwin and Regan to call on who can add something when the legs of the other lads are starting to go.
    Feel for Clarke and Robbie - huge risk by management that just didn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    Didnt make a difference if Cillian had pointed that last kick, Dublin would've taken us in extra time. It would've only postponed the inevitable. I havent watched it back but it seemed Dublin had chances in the end to put a few more scores on the board only for some last ditch defending and some bad decisions on the Dublin side...

Anyway - we go again and gutted for the team, they have a serious ability to keep going and total respect for them. My opinion is we need to get some of the younger lads game time in the league and persist with them even for the championship. Even if they dont perform to well, you need that experience to learn from. Where Dublin brought on pace we brought on Dillon and Barry, and there was only i think two balls launched in high. It would be good to have the likes of Irwin and Regan to call on who can add something when the legs of the other lads are starting to go.
    Feel for Clarke and Robbie - huge risk by management that just didn't make sense.

Where was Regan? Was he not fit? Thought it was an ideal game for him to come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

Fu1ck this Iam out till January

Statement from Rob Hennelly:

"I'll never be able to fully describe what was going through my head at this moment. What I was expecting to be one of my best days turned out to be the opposite, and it breaks my heart that I didn't come through for my team and county.

"I told a brilliant young man Anthony Casey that that one game wouldn't define him, and today, and probably for a while to come, I'll be telling myself the same thing. It is not a good place to be, but I know I have to come back from it, I still believe I have something to offer this team and my county, so now is not the time to relent.

"I have to say that the support I've received has been incredible and the messages from friends, family, former team mates, players from other counties, and of course the Mayo supporters, has helped me immensely.

"I don't know where I'll be in a years time, but I do know that I'm not going to give up. I love Mayo and this team too much to do that.

"Mhaigh Eo Abú"

PARlance wrote: »
    If I've one wish for the winter it's to discover 1 or 2 real opinions in the FF line. It was very hard to watch Andy struggle in the second half and frustrating watching Barry in there. There was very little on offer from the FF line in the second half.

Scrap that, if I'm making wishes, let's hope for 2-3 options in there. The big man rarely works, thank you Star for making it the default plan B.

I think lads with opinions in the full forward line has always been one of our problems :D

• Advertisement

Speaking of sheep and cowards I will pose a further question and I would be grateful if any of you can answer it.

How many players of last years panel signed the letter to the county board that demanded the heads of Connolly and Holmes and how many did not. I still have not found any sight of this letter on internet.

Here's a question for you: why did Connelly and Holmes ignore Cluxton's kickouts last year on the first and second days despite this being a blindingly obvious issue to deal with?

I think lads with opinions in the full forward line has always been one of our problems :D

:)

Just to note, Aidan lines out at 11 before anyone goes accusing him of blowing up the twins towers.... see what I did there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

David Clarke is far and away a superior goalkeeper to Hennelly. Probably Mayo's best player in the drawn game and did nothing wrong when he came on in the replay.

Why is Hennelly even on the panel? He's simply not good enough at this level. To win an AI Final, you have to be ruthless from a selection point of view and drop from the panel players who aren't up to it.

Its been a recurring problem over the years, too loyal to players past their best or who are part of a clique.

If you look at counties like Kerry, they embark on ruthless self analysis in the wake of an AI final loss, so that they don't make the same mistake again. In Mayo, its usually a case of "ah sure it will be alright next time."

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

https://youtu.be/K5-gwRn6Hik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Koochie, what a load of ****e, in your mind did you really think it was funny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

@Shurimgreat To say Robbie Hennelly doesn't deserve to be in the panel is ridiculous. He's a decent goalkeeper with a normally very good kickout. He wouldn't be in the panel the last few years through 3 management teams if he didn't deserve to be. Do you ever watch him at club level? I highly doubt that.

What we're really lacking is a couple of class inside forwards, someone who can get a yard or 2 of space and pop it over the bar. My girlfriend said it to me numerous times during the game that there wasn't anyone showing inside and I was watching Cillian and Andy in the first half, they just couldn't get away from their markers. Is Regan an answer to this? What about Reape or Loftus? Mikey Sweeney? Liam Irwin isn't that sort of player tho he is a good ball winner. Are there any lightning quick forwards coming through?

This team will definitely come again, I was very impressed with Conor O'Shea on saturday apart from his awful attempt at a point. Got on a lot of ball. Patrick Durkan, Coen, Harrison will be established now. Diarmuid will be better again next year. Keegan has another 3 or 4 years in him, Higgins another year anyway, Vaughan another couple, Parsons a year or 2, CoC will be around for 6 or 7 hopefully. Hopefully a place can be found for Aidan because he isn't being utilised correctly at all. Are there many players at club level coming through?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Here's a question for you: why did Connelly and Holmes ignore Cluxton's kickouts last year on the first and second days despite this being a blindingly obvious issue to deal with?

I think you'll find a statistical analysis tells you Dublin are far less likely to score from their possession if the corner back gets the ball. Pushing up, as it were, might yield scores (Kerry game) but it might not. You might end up conceding a lot more if Cluxton has his day and finds his man in midfield.

Nothing clear cut or 'blindingly obvious'. Might actually be the prudent thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

PhoneMain wrote: »
    @Shurimgreat To say Robbie Hennelly doesn't deserve to be in the panel is ridiculous. He's a decent goalkeeper with a normally very good kickout. He wouldn't be in the panel the last few years through 3 management teams if he didn't deserve to be. Do you ever watch him at club level? I highly doubt that.

I said he's not good enough at AI Final level or the business end of the championship. Its got nothing to do with club level.

He also messed up in 2013 against Dublin when he came out to punch clear and mistimed it, allowed BB flick the ball in. He's an accident waiting to happen. His kickouts were awful on Saturday.

I don't blame Hennelly personally. I blame the management. Once more zero accountability there.

I said he's not good enough at AI Final level or the business end of the championship. Its got nothing to do with club level.

He also messed up in 2013 against Dublin when he came out to punch clear and mistimed it, allowed BB flick the ball in. He's an accident waiting to happen. His kickouts were awful on Saturday.

I don't blame Hennelly personally. I blame the management. Once more zero accountability there.

What you said:

"Why is Hennelly even on the panel? He's simply not good enough at this level. To win an AI Final, you have to be ruthless from a selection point of view and drop from the panel players who aren't up to it. "

Go out and scout some Mayo goalkeepers that should be on the panel ahead of him?

• Advertisement

tacofries wrote: »

Season ticket renewed.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement