Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

A potential Mitchels-Ballintubber semifinal could be a great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,353 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Connaught Council has given Mayo an extra week to finish the Club Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PARlance wrote: »

Hoping to head up both days and see the lads knock lards out of each other at club level :D and see if there are any hidden gems we are missing.

Playing the winners of New York and Sligo. Winners to meet Galway.

Roscommon to meet the winners of Leitrim and London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Tough draw
    Can't wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sligo will be a much better opening game this year at least, London never really took the game to us last year but Sligo should at least battle you'd think. We've the strongest team in the province by a long way but there can't be any taking results for granted this year, I'd love to see the same hunger against our provincial opponents as our performances against Dublin in the last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Looking forward to getting some revenge on the Tribesmen in salthill next June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

Where do we play Sligo ?

naughto wrote: »
    Where do we play Sligo ?

I would no way rule out New York upsetting them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Where do we play Sligo ?
    More than likely Mchale Park I'd say, wouldn't mind a trip to Markeivic park though.

km79 wrote: »
    I would no way rule out New York upsetting them

New York have never won a championship match IIRC. I'd confidently rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

They are steadily improving could have taken Roscommon last year were it not for a narrow point win, it's coming sooner or later definitely against a Leitrim /Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

martyos121 wrote: »
    New York have never won a championship match IIRC. I'd confidently rule it out.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0501/785557-new-york-v-roscommon/

It's coming, but not this year IMO. I'm very confident Sligo will beat them, even if it's a close game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

seligehgit wrote: »
    Playing the winners of New York and Sligo.

Aidan's All-Star secured early next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭charlie1980

It does not look very good for Mayo re the draw in the Connacht championship,beat Sligo,Galway and Roscommon?They can not go out flat in any of those games .
    Rochford has proved himself to be incompetent and has no idea of how to deal with the small cabal of players in this group that has too much of a say.

There is too much mileage and mental fatigue to over come.
    Sadly,this Mayo group are finished,they are all through.

Maigh Eo Abu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seanhynes wrote: »
    They are steadily improving could have taken Roscommon last year were it not for a narrow point win, it's coming sooner or later definitely against a Leitrim /Sligo

The problem with NY is turn over.

Its a transient spot so the team changes a lot from year to year, no guarantee that the 2017 version can build on what the 2016 version did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

It does not look very good for Mayo re the draw in the Connacht championship,beat Sligo,Galway and Roscommon?They can not go out flat in any of those games . Rochford has proved himself to be incompetent and has no idea of how to deal with the small cabal of players in this group that has too much of a say.

Hearing this type of thing over and over again in this thread regarding Rochford and Breaffy players.

Is there anything at all to back it up? If not I'm just gonna assume any such allegations are coming from friends of Connlly and Holmes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good hard draw, will be 3 solid tough games. Looking forward to it already.
    Lads will be well up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Hearing this type of thing over and over again in this thread regarding Rochford and Breaffy players.

Is there anything at all to back it up? If not I'm just gonna assume any such allegations are coming from friends of Connlly and Holmes

Exactly... you're hearing it in this thread. Only in this thread. That in itself speaks volumes.

Posts like his above serve no purpose other than to regurgitate the same old crap that was chewed over weeks back, yet again with nothing substantial to back it up.
    And this time by a poster who bragged about taking a punt against one of our All-Stars in the run-up to the replay.
    What do think yourself?!

yop wrote: »
    Good hard draw, will be 3 solid tough games. Looking forward to it already.
    Lads will be well up for it.

Def I'd prefer to have good hard games then going in soft like the rossie will be.
    That's some mess they have created with there management. No one put Kevin mac it seems they want.

As must as I dislike the bollo1x brolly was right with what he says. Payers are to pal paly with there manager

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Call me Al wrote: »
    Exactly... you're heading it in this thread. Only in this thread. That in itself speaks volumes.

Posts like the above serve no purpose other than to regurgitate the same old crap that was chewed over weeks back, yet again with nothing substantial to back it up.
    And this time by a poster who bragged about taking a punt against one of our All-Stars in the run-up to the replay.
    What do think yourself?!

Lads, this guy is a troll end of, probably a re-reg, or else is that ass from the Connaught Telegraph who "writes" anti-Mayo articles no matter who is in charge.

Just ignore it and it will go away.

Def I'd prefer to have good hard games then going in soft like the rossie will be.
    That's some mess they have created with there management. No one put Kevin mac it seems they want.

As must as I dislike the bollo1x brolly was right with what he says. Payers are to pal paly with there manager

Okay so Mayo players and manager want to go and see the games in Croker, are they meant to travel up separately and watch the game separately just in case!!!
    It BS to be honest, just because its Mayo its been read into.
    If it was COC would it even be mentioned?

Non story by trolly, same man who made a laugh of mental health issues on twitter last week yet glorifies himself for donating a kidney.

Ironically the same man who is shacked up in Mayo...... :rolleyes:

yop wrote: »
    Okay so Mayo players and manager want to go and see the games in Croker, are they meant to travel up separately and watch the game separately just in case!!!
    It BS to be honest, just because its Mayo its been read into.
    If it was COC would it even be mentioned?

Non story by trolly, same man who made a laugh of mental health issues on twitter last week yet glorifies himself for donating a kidney.

Ironically the same man who is shacked up in Mayo...... :rolleyes:

Surly they have friends family girlfriends mistress who they can go the game with.
    Your county manager should not be part of that circle.traveling up sitting together at the game is different to just meeting when in Crocker

• Advertisement

Surly they have friends family girlfriends mistress who they can go the game with.
    Your county manager should not be part of that circle.traveling up sitting together at the game is different to just meeting when in Crocker

Who says the manager shouldn't? Managers work in different ways be it GAA, soccer, rugby even in daily life. Some stand back and dont' get involved only interacting on a work only basis, others then like to keep in better contact and get to understand what is going on in their players/employees life and can then understand if its going to effect their game/work.

Klopp and Mourhino go around hugging their players and having selfies with them, so are they wrong in their approach?
    I'm sure McGuinness was very close to the Donegal players during his role with them.

My own opinion is its just another "experts" opinion on Mayo, if we had won the AI that same idiot would be proclaiming "Rochford is very close to the team and its paid off".

As I said, my own opinion. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Connacht SFC 2017

Quarter-Finals: Mayo v New York/Sligo

Semi-Finals: Mayo/Sligo/New York v Galway

I had taken the above to mean that we would be playing matches at home.
    Is that wrong and the venues are unconfirmed as yet?

Oldtree wrote: »
    I had taken the above to mean that we would be playing matches at home.
    Is that wrong and the venues are unconfirmed as yet?

We will be playing Galway in Galway anyway if the 2 teams meet

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭boosabum

Sligo in castlebar as sligo were "home" in roscommon in the 2015 connaught final

km79 wrote: »
    We will be playing Galway in Galway anyway if the 2 teams meet

The nightmare that is Salthill.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

The nightmare that is Salthill.:(

Packing the car already for the drive to Salthill :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Are the dates for the Sligo game and potential Galway v Mayo games known?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

A lot of talk we will be home to Sligo. Don't rule out a very high possible upset when they go to New York.
    In fact I think there is more of a chance Mayo will play New York rather than Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭boosabum

ureds wrote: »
    A lot of talk we will be home to Sligo. Don't rule out a very high possible upset when they go to New York.
    In fact I think there is more of a chance Mayo will play New York rather than Sligo.

if new york were to win then it would be a home tie for Mayo. Issues over New York travelling may arise again as they traveled back in the 2000's and many could not return due to their "status"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

boosabum wrote: »
    if new york were to win then it would be a home tie for Mayo. Issues over New York travelling may arise again as they traveled back in the 2000's and many could not return due to their "status"

If New York win, is that Sligo out of the championship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

boosabum wrote: »

Even if New York win, we will be playing Sligo? I think that's the case, preliminary round. London match is a quarter final.

If NY were to beat Sligo it would be the crisis to beat all crisisissssss.

Mayo would not travel to NY.
    NY could not travel to Mayo.
    Would Sligo be out of the qualiers cos NY don't play in them as it is.
    Would Sligo be allowed play Mayo any way ?.

It happened back in 2006 when NY won a Ulster hurling game v Derry or Down.
    Antrim refused to travel and got a walkover if I recall and then traveled in the autumn, the fall as the guys in NY call it, to play the fixture.

I'd say the Connacht council and the GAA top brass in general get very nervous any time NY look like they are going to win that fixture.

But if they did win at least it would show up what type of a sham fixture it actually is which should have no place in provincial championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Why don't NY play in the qualifiers? Or London?

Why don't NY play in the qualifiers? Or London?

London do, NY don't.

Its too much hassle for NY, not alone the cost but also the fact that members of the team may be undocumented thus making travel outside the US difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

If NY won Mayo would probably have to travel as some of the NY lads might not get back. As least it would be a chance for a bit of fundraising 😉😉😉

• Advertisement

cocoman wrote: »
    If NY won Mayo would probably have to travel as some of the NY lads might not get back. As least it would be a chance for a bit of fundraising 😉😉😉

Far too expensive for a team to head out at such short notice. Its about 6 weeks between the NY game and the semi final.

The first NY game is planned months if not a year or more in advance, so all the fundraising etc can be planned and the best price can be got for travel etc.

Trying to do the same in 6 weeks is not the going to be anywhere near as cost effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

if sligo lost to lost to new york, its them out of the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

irishgeo wrote: »
    if sligo lost to lost to new york, its them out of the championship.

The whole NY fixture is an absolute farce. Should be scrapped imo, if NY want one big game a year let the NFL winners travel out as has happened in the past

Breaffy 1-14 Crossmolina 0-11
    Close enough game up until the 50th minute but Breaffy made their strength and squad count from then on. Good showing from Aidan today, some school errors from Conor. Seamie sat it out. Robbie Hennelly with 2/2 45's.

I didn't think Breaffy were that impressive today TBH,they kicked an awful lot of wides.Aidan kicked two poor ones but he was critical to their final push.

The red card was the turning point in the contest,a great mystery to the crowd as to the reasoning for same.Big call by the linesman.Liam Irwin had a reasonable day out,great shame Matthew Ruane went off injured.

I thought Conor O Shea showed well for the ball but he unforgivably dropped two balls into Patrick Loftus's hands.

Good performances for the truly remarkable Peadar Gardiner,Fionan Duffy shows some promise and Conor Loftus kicked one absolute beauty in the second half.

Breaffy would have been kicking themselves if they'd lost this contest.

Knockmore were a tad superior to Aghmore in a relatively poor contest.An awful lot of handpassing and poor wides.

Kevin McLoughlin and Kieran Langan were notable performers for Knockmore.Aghmore were a tad toothless up front and had to work very hard for their scores with Alan Freeman chipping in on occasion from placed scores.Brendan Harrison looked every bit the top inter county footballer he is.

I did not see any stand out new forward talent for Stephen Rochford to introduce.

Half Time

Castlebar Mitchels 1-6 Ballaghaderreen 10.

Cracking contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fehenry

I heard that Adam Gallagher was playing last weekend and, by all accounts, he did well.
    He'd be a great addition to Rochford's panel if he is fit to return next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

fehenry wrote: »
    I heard that Adam Gallagher was playing last weekend and, by all accounts, he did well.
    He'd be a great addition to Rochford's panel if he is fit to return next year.

Was he injured this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Brusna

I didn't think Breaffy were that impressive today TBH,they kicked an awful lot of wides.Aidan kicked two poor ones but he was critical to their final push.

The red card was the turning point in the contest,a great mystery to the crowd as to the reasoning for same.Big call by the linesman.Liam Irwin had a reasonable day out,great shame Matthew Ruane went off injured.

I thought Conor O Shea showed well for the ball but he unforgivably dropped two balls into Patrick Loftus's hands.

Good performances for the truly remarkable Peadar Gardiner,Fionan Duffy shows some promise and Conor Loftus kicked one absolute beauty in the second half.

Breaffy would have been kicking themselves if they'd lost this contest.

Knockmore were a tad superior to Aghmore in a relatively poor contest.An awful lot of handpassing and poor wides.

Kevin McLoughlin and Kieran Langan were notable performers for Knockmore.Aghmore were a tad toothless up front and had to work very hard for their scores with Alan Freeman chipping in on occasion from placed scores.Brendan Harrison looked every bit the top inter county footballer he is.

I did not see any stand out new forward talent for Stephen Rochford to introduce.

I thought Conor Loftus was by far the best player on the pitch in the first game. He was man marked by Michael Hall but in all honesty Hall couldn't handle him. Loftus scored two points from play and got on an awful lot of ball and always looked composed. He made one class cross field pass into space to set up the Crossmolina corner back for a point. He has big boots to fill with the number 11 jersey for Crossmolina but he is a great prospect.

The sending off was for a punch and it was the correct decision.

• Advertisement

Some score from Cillian and Ballintubber today, getting 4-04 of their 6-14. Should be a cracking Semi against Mitchells. Hope they knock lumps out of each other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement