Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭charlie1980

If only Cillian could do it into Hill 16 full of Dubs shouting C'mon you boys in blue

You need a great temperament for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

PARlance wrote: »
    Some score from Cillian and Ballintubber today, getting 4-04 of their 6-14. Should be a cracking Semi against Mitchells. Hope they knock lumps out of each other.

4 penalties and 4 frees?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Some score from Cillian and Ballintubber today, getting 4-04 of their 6-14. Should be a cracking Semi against Mitchells. Hope they knock lumps out of each other.

What contrast in weather conditions vis a vis yesterday.

Ballaghderreen ran out of steam in the second half,the strong wind was a crucial advantage to the Mitchels.Barry Moran won a lot of clean ball in the second half,Mitchels created and obviously a number of goal chances.

Andy Moran was afforded little in the way of opportunities to showcase his brilliance in the second half.Danny Kirby was quite ring rusty on his introduction in the second half.Definitely not a forward's day and Neil Douglas missed a few placed balls.He did set up a goal with a peach of a ball.One feels Castlebar Mitchels have quite a bit more in the tank,they'll need same with a potentially punishing schedule pre Christmas.Eoghan Reilly does much to make the team tick by setting the tempo.

The second game was a non event,Garrymore were beyond poor.The poorest side on view this weekend.Cillian O Connor was brilliant for the 40 odd minutes he played.

Delighted to see Jason Gibbons back,he was exceptional.I look forward to hisreturn to the Mayo setup.Good options in midfield with Danny Geraghty and Stephen Broderick.The entire Ballintubber defence was very solid.

Garrymore's shooting was awful.Shane Nally kicked three poor wides from highly ambitious positions out the middle.It was an interesting decision to play Caolan Crowe at full forward.

The Castlebar Mitchels Ballintubber contest should be epic next weekend.

I heard today that Liam Irwin has been called into the Mayo setup?

Donal55 wrote: »
    4 penalties and 4 frees?

All goals from open play,at least one score from play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Ballintubber and Mitchels should be a great game. Out of the county this weekend so didn't catch any matches, but hopefully I'll be around for this one. Could see there being a bit of bite to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 fehenry

Was he injured this year?
    He was injured 3 or maybe 4 years ago and AFAIK, he didn't play in any game until now. Last I heard of him was that he was a non-playing member of Mayo's Junior panel last year.

Brusna wrote: »
    I thought Conor Loftus was by far the best player on the pitch in the first game. He was man marked by Michael Hall but in all honesty Hall couldn't handle him. Loftus scored two points from play and got on an awful lot of ball and always looked composed. He made one class cross field pass into space to set up the Crossmolina corner back for a point. He has big boots to fill with the number 11 jersey for Crossmolina but he is a great prospect.

The sending off was for a punch and it was the correct decision.

I have very high expectations of Conor Loftus if he can stay injury free.He has certainly bulked up quite a lot.His skillset is very impressive and he he is very intelligent on the ball.

Hopefully he'll see a lot more game time in the FBD league and league.I'd expect he'll be challenging for a starting spot on the championship team next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

If only Cillian could do it into Hill 16 full of Dubs shouting C'mon you boys in blue

You need a great temperament for that.
    You can stop posting in this thread from now on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Charlie1980...............hmm 36 years of age!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,353 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

seligehgit wrote: »
    I have very high expectations of Conor Loftus if he can stay injury free.He has certainly bulked up quite a lot.His skillset is very impressive and he he is very intelligent on the ball.

Hopefully he'll see a lot more game time in the FBD league and league.I'd expect he'll be challenging for a starting spot on the championship team next year.

Is Cathal Carolan anywhere near a call up? I know he was knocking on the door before injury in 2014 (?) but I'd be lying if I said I knew much about him since then. He got a couple of great points towards the end of the first half on Sat.

Loftus was impressive, he just stood out as having that little bit extra.

• Advertisement

Is Cathal Carolan anywhere near a call up? I know he was knocking on the door before injury in 2014 (?) but I'd be lying if I said I knew much about him since then. He got a couple of great points towards the end of the first half on Sat.

Loftus was impressive, he just stood out as having that little bit extra.

He was quite impressive in the first half on Saturday.I'm not sure if he's that close to a call up,not privy to same.

I am not convinced that at this stage in his career he has that something that we require to get us over the line,or is better than what we have.He has a fantastic engine and is excellent at getting up and down the pitch.We do need to find forwards that are going to provide us with more than the occasional score at the highest level as evidenced by his previous appearances for Mayo.I hope I'm proven wrong in my judgement.

Conor Loftus,Liam Irwin and possibly Fionan Duffy are alongside Evan Regan our great unproven hopes.

Hoping the management will give youth it's fling next year in the FBD and league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    Conor Loftus,Liam Irwin and possibly Fionan Duffy are alongside Evan Regan our great unproven hopes.

Whatever happened to that little busy fella, Sweeney ? Is he old or young, away or not making the cut ?
    I thought he looked to be potentially good mind you I saw him only 4 times, but he had an eye for goal and looked like a forward, the sort AOS could carry the ball into. Might not be room for him and Andy on the one team, but he looks nippier

Stoner wrote: »
    Whatever happened to that little busy fella, Sweeney ? Is he old or young, away or not making the cut ?
    I thought he looked to be potentially good mind you I saw him only 4 times, but he had an eye for goal and looked like a forward, the sort AOS could carry the ball into. Might not be room for him and Andy on the one team, but he looks nippier

Rochford released him just before the Championship. He'd be mid twenties I'd say, maybe 26 or so. Seligehgit is probably right in the 3 he has identified as being the big hopes, if others have been given a chance and never really made a breakthrough then it's probably best to just focus on something new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Brusna

Rochford released him just before the Championship. He'd be mid twenties I'd say, maybe 26 or so. Seligehgit is probably right in the 3 he has identified as being the big hopes, if others have been given a chance and never really made a breakthrough then it's probably best to just focus on something new.

Conor Loftus and Brian Reape are the two forwards I'd like to see more of next year. They both have the experience of being on the senior panel this year and are all Ireland u21 winners so hopefully they will both step up when given the chance.

Conor Loftus and Brian Reape are the two forwards I'd like to see more of next year. They both have the experience of being on the senior panel this year and are all Ireland u21 winners so hopefully they will both step up when given the chance.

Mea culpa I totally forgot about Brian Reape,totally concur.

I'd be inclined to think Mikey Sweeney is a tad too small physique wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/declan-brennan-plans-club-player-body-after-10000-messages-426292.html
    Former Monaghan selector Declan Brennan has unveiled plans to establish a Club Players Association (CPA), revealing that he’s received over 10,000 messages from interested parties wishing to contribute.

The CPA’s goal will be to ensure a voice for club players countrywide, with particular emphasis on the fixtures schedule, which often sees them without games for weeks and months on end as the inter-county season is in progress.

He revealed: “At that meeting, we intend to send out the message in relation to what we’re about, and where we’re going with this as an organisation. We don’t necessarily see ourselves setting something up in stone for years ahead, it’s more to identify the problems at the moment, and put forward what we think should be done.

“We need to help the administrators in Croke Park, who have so much bureaucracy and red tape to go through, that they can’t manage it.

“It has to come from the players themselves, they have to drive this over the line. They want time off, and they want to play football at decent times of the year. I see no difference between the club and county player; they’re all putting in the same effort and deserve the same respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Mea culpa I totally forgot about Brian Reape,totally concur.

Yeah nice footballer who I had high hopes for but he is just a touch too small for the business end of intercounty season sadly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Robeman wrote:
    Anthony Hennigans articles this past two weeks in Western People make for interesting reading. At last a local journalist has the courage to come out and say that there is something rotten in Mayo Football.

What is the gist of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Maby, but he is fast with the ball and responds rapidly to developing play. He is seriously tenacious too, an admirable trait.

I've also mentioned before that my boy is mental about him and he couldn't understand why Mikey wasn't around, reason enough to have Mikey play ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

I see Pearse Hanley has moved clubs in AFL. His brother remains at Brisbane although he has yet to play due to injury. This will be make or break year for him you'd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Oldtree wrote: »
    Maby, but he is fast with the ball and responds rapidly to developing play. He is seriously tenacious too, an admirable trait.

I've also mentioned before that my boy is mental about him and he couldn't understand why Mikey wasn't around, reason enough to have Mikey play ;-)

Im mental about him as well. Hes one nippy little b'stard and has no problem taking on a man driving straight thru. Small or not. And I cant understand how he was dropped.
    And another small fella was the mitchels sub that came on in the AI club semi, I forget his name. Another little rocket of a fella.
    Imagine the two of them on the full forward line.
    And andy moran in the middle. This thing about physicality is crap. Some of the best players I played with were small. But they had the pitbull mentality.
    of never giving up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

kupus wrote:
    Im mental about him as well. Hes one nippy little b'stard and has no problem taking on a man driving straight thru. Small or not. And I cant understand how he was dropped. And another small fella was the mitchels sub that came on in the AI club semi, I forget his name. Another little rocket of a fella. Imagine the two of them on the full forward line. And andy moran in the middle. This thing about physicality is crap. Some of the best players I played with were small. But they had the pitbull mentality. of never giving up.

If Sweeney tried running through a Dublin, Tyrone or Donegal back he'd be absolutely swallowed up

so hed get a free sometimes for being fouled and thats a point gained.

kupus wrote: »
    Im mental about him as well. Hes one nippy little b'stard and has no problem taking on a man driving straight thru. Small or not. And I cant understand how he was dropped.
    And another small fella was the mitchels sub that came on in the AI club semi, I forget his name. Another little rocket of a fella.
    Imagine the two of them on the full forward line.
    And andy moran in the middle. This thing about physicality is crap. Some of the best players I played with were small. But they had the pitbull mentality.
    of never giving up.

Is that Cian Costello?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Panrich wrote: »
    I see Pearse Hanley has moved clubs in AFL. His brother remains at Brisbane although he has yet to play due to injury. This will be make or break year for him you'd think.

Would I go straight to hell for hoping that they cut him loose....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

If Sweeney tried running through a Dublin, Tyrone or Donegal back he'd be absolutely swallowed up

Totally agree. Height and upper body strength is so important when you play the top teams. He is too small and not enough upper body strength.

Evan Regan is a guy who gets beaten off the ball far too easily as well imo. This is mainly the reason he didn't see as much time in CP. I think he needs to beef up a bit but he has the height and can make it to be a decent forward.

ah here, maradona was 5ft nothing. Messi 5 ft 7. peter stringer another 5ft 7 player. All low center of gravity well able to adjust their position, just look at some stringer plays.
    That excuse too small doesn't wash with me.

a 6'4 full forward can break the ball and the smaller forward can get in quicker.

ah here, maradona was 5ft nothing. Messi 5 ft 7. peter stringer another 5ft 7 player. All low center of gravity well able to adjust their position, just look at some stringer plays.

a 6'4 full forward can break the ball and the smaller forward can get in quicker.

Messi, Maradona, Mikey Sweeney.... that'll take a while to sink in.

I wouldn't dismiss someone on height alone but the game has changed and the nippy CF is a rare species. That's not to say there isn't a role and personally I would prefer to see someone like him coming into the FF line, making runs and showing for the ball, in the last 15 mins rather than throwing in a tall midfielder who stands still.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭boosabum

Mickey Sweeney was involved with the mayo squad for a number of years under different managers from Johno to H&C. He came on as a sub in last years drawn game with Dublin and had his potential game winning effort blocked down. I think he is one of a number of very good club footballers in the county who have been tried but ultimately haven't made the grade when the ground hardened up. Hard to think he will be in a position now to push on and make a significant difference in the white hot battle of an AI final.
    The issue remains that the best forwards on show in the county make the squad but aren't at the top top level required to pull a team over the line ala Joyce, Canavan, Cooper et al.

• Advertisement

Messi and Maradonaa play(ed) soccer, Stringer is a scrum half.

Regardless of the case for Sweeney, using these examples to dismiss the factor of height requirement in GAA at intercounty level isn't helpful!!

boosabum wrote: »
    Mickey Sweeney was involved with the mayo squad for a number of years under different managers from Johno to H&C. He came on as a sub in last years drawn game with Dublin and had his potential game winning effort blocked down. I think he is one of a number of very good club footballers in the county who have been tried but ultimately haven't made the grade when the ground hardened up. Hard to think he will be in a position now to push on and make a significant difference in the white hot battle of an AI final.
    The issue remains that the best forwards on show in the county make the squad but aren't at the top top level required to pull a team over the line ala Joyce, Canavan, Cooper et al.

Totally agree,I wouldn't be inclined to dismiss Mikey Sweeney solely based on his physique or height.But he was on the panel for a number of years and like many forwards that have gone before hasn't been quite at the highest level.

IMO he's a nippy forward with a good skills set but he has struggled when the ground has hardened up and he's come against the country's best defenders.He could have been a hero of a monumental scale if his shot for what would have been a winner in the first game against Dublin in 2015 hadn't been blocked down.

We are seeking a forward who has that bit of magic and quality of the highest level ala Cooper,Canavan and Brogan who can turn one point losses in All Ireland finals into a victory.I am not sure he is likely to offer any improvement ultimately on what we presently have in the squad.

It is one of the joys of such thread that we can have differing opinions.:)

Time for the mantle to pass to Conor Loftus,Liam Irwin,Brian Reape,Fionan Duffy and Evan Regan.

Looking forward to Sunday.

Unless Breaffy improve I think we might be in for a shock.

The Mitchels Ballintubber game should be cracker,slight fancy for the Mitchels.

Messi and Maradonaa play(ed) soccer, Stringer is a scrum half.

Regardless of the case for Sweeney, using these examples to dismiss the factor of height requirement in GAA at intercounty level isn't helpful!!

Options are limited when you have smaller guys at intercounty. It's not a complete deal breaker but you limit your options. Sweeney is a nice footballer but his upper body strength is not there to trouble quality defenders.

Andy Moran is not a huge guy but he is able to field a ball and his movement is very good but ultimately he has great strength in his legs and body to cause issues. Its just a pity he is the wrong side of thirthy

Totally agree,I wouldn't be inclined to dismiss Mikey Sweeney solely based on his physique or height.But he was on the panel for a number of years and like many forwards that have gone before hasn't been quite at the highest level.

Freeman is another guy who is in the same bracket as Sweeney.

Options are limited when you have smaller guys at intercounty. It's not a complete deal breaker but you limit your options. Sweeney is a nice footballer but his upper body strength is not there to trouble quality defenders.

Andy Moran is not a huge guy but he is able to field a ball and his movement is very good but ultimately he has great strength in his legs and body to cause issues. Its just a pity he is the wrong side of thirthy

Wasn't really the point of my post! I wasn't indicating that height automatically rules him out, just pointing out the analogy of soccer players and scrum halfs heights being brought in as examples to defend him in this regard! Especially superlative exceptions such as Messi, Maradonna and even Stringer!

I do agree Sweeney may have a place in the squad. He should be used in the league like a couple of others on the border of the SQUAD (not just the team)to see where he is.

There are exceptions to the rule in the marginally smaller players. People would look at and point out someone like Darran O Sullivan as a "smaller nippy forward" BUT he is just about 5'10.

I remember reading something a few years ago, where he was the only player on the previous 4 All Ireland winning teams' starting lineup under 5'11.

And that may have been about 3 years ago. Since then height and strength has become even more significant arguably. Although you could argue that fielding is less of a concern since the short ball game started dominating.

As you say, Andy Moran (at about 5'9)is one of the exceptions but he has a great spring. I don't know whether Sweeney has that in his game.

I think the lads in charge will have given him every chance to prove he can compensate for this as a starting forward at Championship level so you have to go by what they see in training etc also.

It has been confirmed that the senior and intermediate finals will be played on Saturday 29th of October under lights in MacHale Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

The upcoming matches are all falling at awkward times for me. Don't think I'm going to make any this weekend or the finals next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It has been confirmed that the senior and intermediate finals will be played on Saturday 29th of October under lights in MacHale Park.

Westport/Shrule was a draw, anyone hear replay details or if final going ahead next Saturday?

http://www.localstreaming.club/live-video-mayo-senior-football-semi-final-breaffy-vs-knockmore/

Localstreaming doing the business again for anyone who can't make it. BUT it only seems to be the Breaffy Knockmore game that's being broadcast.

Breaffy and Tubber for me tomorrow.

Westport/Shrule was a draw, anyone hear replay details or if final going ahead next Saturday?

Michael Gallagher of the Western People intimated in a tweet about Conor Mortimer that the replay is on Wednesday.

If that is correct then the plan must be for the final to go ahead next weekend.

Personally I'd love if the games went ahead on Saturday evening cause I can get to the Saturday games but probably not the Sunday games.

I was at the Kiltimagh/Burrishoole game today. Really enjoyable game from a neutral point of view. Typical championship stuff, it had it all. Close game that could have went either way but overall I thought Kiltimagh were the better team and deserved the win but Burrishoole will feel hard done by some of the refereeing decisions.

Michael Gallagher of the Western People intimated in a tweet about Conor Mortimer that the replay is on Wednesday.

If that is correct then the plan must be for the final to go ahead next weekend.

Personally I'd love if the games went ahead on Saturday evening cause I can get to the Saturday games but probably not the Sunday games.

I was at the Kiltimagh/Burrishoole game today. Really enjoyable game from a neutral point of view. Typical championship stuff, it had it all. Close game that could have went either way but overall I thought Kiltimagh were the better team and deserved the win but Burrishoole will feel hard done by some of the refereeing decisions.

replay weds night under lights in cbar time TBC
    final sat night
    wonder will conors paperwork be done in time for weds night ..........

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    replay weds night under lights in cbar time TBC
    final sat night
    wonder will conors paperwork be done in time for weds night ..........

I was thinking the same thing! If nothing else it makes it intriguing. Trevor was named on the substitutes for today's game. Don't know if he came on or not.

I was thinking the same thing! If nothing else it makes it intriguing. Trevor was named on the substitutes for today's game. Don't know if he came on or not.

Trevor has been training with them last few weeks and has made a cameo or 2
    He was not there today. He is injured but is also away with work this week. Don't know if he will even be back for next weekend but certainly not midweek

km79 wrote: »
    Trevor has been training with them last few weeks and has made a cameo or 2
    He was not there today. He is injured but is also away with work this week. Don't know if he will even be back for next weekend but certainly not midweek

It may well be all over for them on Wednesday though. I thought Westport would win today and they would have but for the concession of a late penalty. CM or not I think Westport will advance to the final. They appear to be a little bit better at the moment.

It may well be all over for them on Wednesday though. I thought Westport would win today and they would have but for the concession of a late penalty. CM or not I think Westport will advance to the final. They appear to be a little bit better at the moment.

They will no doubt be favs alright I'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

km79 wrote:
    replay weds night under lights in cbar time TBC final sat night wonder will conors paperwork be done in time for weds night ..........

It will be done apparently if you believe twitter

Lest we forget the county hurling final is on today.

Ballyhaunis v Tooreen

Ballyhaunis going for their tenth title in eleven years against the most decorated club in our county's history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Fair play to Knockmore. Have just beaten hot favourites Breaffy by 0-12 to 1-7 to get to their first Co. Final in 7 years.

Co. Hurling Final result. Ballyhaunis 2-12, Tooreen 1-15.

Fair play to Knockmore. Have just beaten hot favourites Breaffy by 0-12 to 1-7 to get to their first Co. Final in 7 years.

And well deserving of it too. Breaffy were shocking though but somehow stayed in it.

They standard on show today in both games was very poor. I left on 60mins during the second game. Ballintubber hadn't scored from play at that stage.

And well deserving of it too. Breaffy were shocking though but somehow stayed in it.

They standard on show today in both games was very poor. I left on 60mins during the second game. Ballintubber hadn't scored from play at that stage.

They got a goal after you left:). Final score was C/Bar 1-11, B/Tubber 1-5.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement