Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PARlance wrote: »
    And well deserving of it too. Breaffy were shocking though but somehow stayed in it.

They standard on show today in both games was very poor. I left on 60mins during the second game. Ballintubber hadn't scored from play at that stage.

Totally agree the standard of play was very poor. Mitchels ground out the win comfortably without seeming to over exert themselves.Truly disappointed with Ballintubber today.

Fair play to Knockmore. Have just beaten hot favourites Breaffy by 0-12 to 1-7 to get to their first Co. Final in 7 years.

Very well deserved,better team.They had a much greater focus on footpassing and were far more direct.Most importantly they wanted it far more. Breaffy were very poor.There was at times a nasty undercurrent to the contest and some unsavoury scenes at the end.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Terrible standard of football. Breaffy were a mess and had AOS pointing and shouting at his own team mates. Conor taken off and in reality Aidan should have been taken off. Seamus added a bit to the game when he came on. Irwin played in spits. Hennelly hit 2 nice points but took 2 from the right hand side where he was never going to score and has 9/10 times missed.
    Knockmore were impressive in their heart and desire and McLoughs directed and took part in the game in a way a County player should. Certainly wouldn't write them off.
    Thought ref had a poor game, AOS got nothing from him and his man should have gone well before he did. The off the ball stuff in both games was frustrating to watch.
    Breaffy too slow, no ideas and no leaders.

Second game got off to a great start, Douglas was the outstanding player in that game. COC and DOC were marked out of the game and again hammered off it. Again the ref let so much go on County players.
    Durkan had a fine game, Barry Moran did very little. McDonagh was solid at the back, though as above should have gone early on for off the ball stuff.

I'd put a few quid on Knockmore, if they bring the intensity and get a slice of luck they will beat Cbar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

yop wrote: »
    Terrible standard of football. Breaffy were a mess and had AOS pointing and shouting at his own team mates. Conor taken off and in reality Aidan should have been taken off. Seamus added a bit to the game when he came on. Irwin played in spits. Hennelly hit 2 nice points but took 2 from the right hand side where he was never going to score and has 9/10 times missed.
    Knockmore were impressive in their heart and desire and McLoughs directed and took part in the game in a way a County player should. Certainly wouldn't write them off.
    Thought ref had a poor game, AOS got nothing from him and his man should have gone well before he did. The off the ball stuff in both games was frustrating to watch.

Second game got off to a great start, Douglas was the outstanding player in that game. COC and DOC were marked out of the game and again hammered off it. Again the ref let so much go on County players.
    Durkan had a fine game, Barry Moran did very little. McDonagh was solid at the back, though as above should have gone early on for off the ball stuff.

I'd put a few quid on Knockmore, if they bring the intensity and get a slice of luck they will beat Cbar.

Is there any particular reason Douglas was not brought in last year ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

km79 wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason Douglas was not brought in last year ?

Don't know tbh, I think he just didn't impress for some reason or another and I think that his size was against him. Though I think he looks a different animal, fitness, bulk and attitude.
    He will get a run this year.

From my view McLoughs aside and Durkan he was the outstanding player today.

I am very disappointed with some of the county players, for Conor to be taken off in a County semi really you should not see this. Barry M seemed intent on taking COC out of it or just been an idiot.

Seamus must have been injured.

Excellent post Yop, there was indeed targeting of county players and little protection offered to same.The refereeing today was sub standard.

The county players appeared to suffering from burnout after a very long year although Kevin McLoughlin was very good today.

I was informed by several Breaffy supporters that Seamus O Shea has a groin injury since the final replay.He's had the same issue previously. He added a touch of bit to the proceedings but was well of the pace.

The placekicking on display was erratic to say the least.. Liam Irwin,Robbie Hennelly,Neil Douglas and even Cillian O Connor.

Knockmore impressed me most today yet one got the impression that Mitchels never got out of first gear today.So I'd still fancy the Mitchels to lift the Moclair cup next Saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Didn't make any of the matches but did hear from a relative that the atmosphere in both games was a bit nasty, he thought the O'Connors were targted. He also said breaffy looked disjointed and their attitude was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

PressRun wrote: »
    Didn't make any of the matches but did hear from a relative that the atmosphere in both games was a bit nasty, he thought the O'Connors were targted. He also said breaffy looked disjointed and their attitude was poor.
    Certainly got nasty at the end of the Knockmore Breaffy game. Hennelly looked like he a got a right flaking from a few Knockmore lads.

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Certainly got nasty at the end of the Knockmore Breaffy game. Hennelly looked like he a got a right flaking from a few Knockmore lads.

As did AOS, seemed the no 6 from Knockmore approached AOS and said something, AOS reacted and then a few Knockmore fans got stuck into him. Classless stuff tbh.
    Spotted Aidan Kilcoyne come over to AOS and they seemed to shake hands and the AOS pushes him away.

Big Daddy rolled in and took AOS away but there was another episode after that again.

Really bad undercurrent in both games, refs were very weak but they had so much to watch. They needed to put their stamp on the game early and they didn't in either.
    It turned the games into a poor spectacle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PressRun wrote: »

I wouldn't say the O'Connors were targeted. Cillian was up to his usual tricks. Diarmuid did get a knock in the 2nd half and he was down for a while but I wouldn't say he was targeted. Mitchels were physical but nothing more than you would expect.

I hate to see that kind of ****e with intercounty players being targeted within our own county
    Jealousy a lot of it TBH

I wouldn't say the O'Connors were targeted. Cillian was up to his usual tricks. Diarmuid did get a knock in the 2nd half and he was down for a while but I wouldn't say he was targeted. Mitchels were physical but nothing more than you would expect.

I didn't think the O Connor brothers were targeted in any particular fashion.Mitchels were very solid defensively and physically imposed themselves on Ballintubber.

The first game unfortunately was far nastier,totally unnecessary.The scenes at the end were unacceptable.

Don't know tbh, I think he just didn't impress for some reason or another and I think that his size was against him. Though I think he looks a different animal, fitness, bulk and attitude.
    He will get a run this year.

From my view McLoughs aside and Durkan he was the outstanding player today.

I am very disappointed with some of the county players, for Conor to be taken off in a County semi really you should not see this. Barry M seemed intent on taking COC out of it or just been an idiot.

Seamus must have been injured.

Seamus went into the All Ireland replay with a torn groin, an incredible performance there considering that.

Thought he was way off the pace today. Lost the ball 4 times within minutes of coming on.

Seamus went into the All Ireland replay with a torn groin, an incredible performance there considering that.

Thought he was way off the pace today. Lost the ball 4 times within minutes of coming on.

Very evident that he was off the pace. Breaffy are like the Mayo of our championship, loads of talent but never seem to be able to get it over the line..

Very evident that he was off the pace. Breaffy are like the Mayo of our championship, loads of talent but never seem to be able to get it over the line..

Ah com'on. We're hardly at Mayo levels of desperation yet! We were a junior Club 20 years ago and steady(ish) progress since.

But yes, on paper we should be doing better than today and I thought we might have had a good chance with Forde & Conway involved this year. Last years final showed us up as missing a game plan, nothing much has changed a year later.

Aidan is a bit of an unique player, it's a big change slotting him back into the team, more so than any of our county players going back to their clubs imo. Seamie is usually solid but was clearly injured. Conor is way too hot and cold, or cold and hot. A County player being subbed off in a quarter and semi is just not on.
    Matthew Ruane was a huge loss and was missed today.

Agree with you on the lack of game plan and slow build up. I'd also add that there's a lack of creativity or a few players that can play a smart ball.

• Advertisement

Ah com'on. We're hardly at Mayo levels of desperation yet! We were a junior Club 20 years ago and steady(ish) progress since.

But yes, on paper we should be doing better than today and I thought we might have had a good chance with Forde & Conway involved this year. Last years final showed us up as missing a game plan, nothing much has changed a year later.

Aidan is a bit of an unique player, it's a big change slotting him back into the team, more so than any of our county players going back to their clubs imo. Seamie is usually solid but was clearly injured. Conor is way too hot and cold, or cold and hot. A County player being subbed off in a quarter and semi is just not on.
    Matthew Ruane was a huge loss and was missed today.

Agree with you on the lack of game plan and slow build up. I'd also add that there's a lack of creativity or a few players that can play a smart ball.

Sorry I didn't mean it as a slant on Breaffy, I've some great friends playing for or played for Breaffy and myself and Gerry Jennings used to batter 50 shades out sh*te out of each other, he had the sense to not retire! :)

But I can see what you are saying though.

The talent available for the spine of the team is possibly as good as any club in the Country with Irwin, Hall, Ruane, Reilly all young and eager.

Forde and Shane C have changed nothing from what I can see and there was a serious lack of hunger in that team today as opposed to the Knockmore team. That said as someone else said the mental drain on the County players may add to that and the non County players looking to them for guidance and leadership.

Though McLoughs was like a new man for Knockmore.

km79 wrote: »
    I hate to see that kind of ****e with intercounty players being targeted within our own county
    Jealousy a lot of it TBH

TBF to Aidan O Shea considering the amount of targeting he's the focus of in matches,he is not a man to retaliate and rarely if ever loses his cool.He was at times unfairly targeted today and got very little from the referee.

Sorry I didn't mean it as a slant on Breaffy, I've some great friends playing for or played for Breaffy and myself and Gerry Jennings used to batter 50 shades out sh*te out of each other, he had the sense to not retire! :)

But I can see what you are saying though.

The talent available for the spine of the team is possibly as good as any club in the Country with Irwin, Hall, Ruane, Reilly all young and eager.

Forde and Shane C have changed nothing from what I can see and there was a serious lack of hunger in that team today as opposed to the Knockmore team. That said as someone else said the mental drain on the County players may add to that and the non County players looking to them for guidance and leadership.

Though McLoughs was like a new man for Knockmore.

Sorry should have put a :) in my reply, I didn't take it as a slant. If I had 10% of the dedication or attitude of Gerry (or his brothers) I'd have been out there myself. Some man for 40.

Serious lack of hunger it seemed, they're a big team but don't throw it around as much as you have to at the level. Maybe a little too nice.

McLoughs was outstanding I thought. Set the tone with that point from the start.

Wednesday night Intermediate semi final replay McHale Park

Westport Shrule/Glencorrib 8.00

Winners play Kiltimagh Saturday evening 5.00 McHale Park

Senior county final Saturday evening under floodlights in McHale Park 7.00

Castlebar Mitchels Knockmore

seligehgit wrote: »
    TBF to Aidan O Shea considering the amount of targeting he's the focus of in matches,he is not a man to retaliate and rarely if ever loses his cool.He was at times unfairly targeted today and got very little from the referee.

The linesman was yards away from a few of the incidents in the first half yet didn't do anything either. I personally don't know how Aidan doesn't lose the head altogether and lash out.

• Advertisement

Sorry should have put a :) in my reply, I didn't take it as a slant. If I had 10% of the dedication or attitude of Gerry (or his brothers) I'd have been out there myself. Some man for 40.

Serious lack of hunger it seemed, they're a big team but don't throw it around as much as you have to at the level. Maybe a little too nice.

McLoughs was outstanding I thought. Set the tone with that point from the start.

I think you've put your finger,I tend to think Breaffy are a tad too nice.Knockmore were not afraid to get down and dirty and that is meant purely as a compliment.Their hunger some through in their intensity and greater sense of urgency.Breaffy's buildup play was slow and laborious,they were a tad toothless.

Matthew Ruane was a very big loss,I can see a big future for him as a future midfielder for the Mayo seniors.The jury is still out on how good of footballers Michael Hall and Liam Irwin can become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Heard a rumour Conor Mortimer has applied for a transfer to Shrule in time for the replay against Westport.

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Heard a rumour Conor Mortimer has applied for a transfer to Shrule in time for the replay against Westport.

Not a rumour
    http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/10/23/4128901-conor-mortimer-cleared-to-play-in-mayo-club-gaa-replay-/

You starting yourself Kenny??? :)

FlyIng out to Africa to pick up Trevor then back into Dublin for Conor then down to McHale park
    "The Hangover 4- Return of The Mort "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 squarebale

As did AOS, seemed the no 6 from Knockmore approached AOS and said something, AOS reacted

Knockmore no. 6 put out his hand to shake and said hard luck. As for targeting. That's a load of nonsense. Keane and the othet backs tackled ferociously and got entangled for his 2nd yellow. He also got on the ball way more than AOS and contributed going forward. Can't understand how Breaffy were favourites for that game. I was saying all week that they didn't have a hope of winning.

squarebale wrote: »
    As did AOS, seemed the no 6 from Knockmore approached AOS and said something, AOS reacted

Knockmore no. 6 put out his hand to shake and said hard luck. As for targeting. That's a load of nonsense. Keane and the othet backs tackled ferociously and got entangled for his 2nd yellow. He also got on the ball way more than AOS and contributed going forward. Can't understand how Breaffy were favourites for that game. I was saying all week that they didn't have a hope of winning.

I'm a neutral and your a Knockmore lad, and I was far from the only neutral to say that. He was targeted through the whole game.

I think Keane went out to help throw AOS off his game and it worked. I'm not a massive fan of the using the word "targeted". When I hear that word I think of someone going out to end someone else's game. There didn't seem to be any nasty, just a lot of niggle. Keane was niggling away with him in the first half, nothing he did looked like him going out to end AOS's game, just to throw him off it.

He got away with bringing him down off the ball once, they both went down off the ball a second time but they were both at it at that stage. The ref also missed a few fairly blantant fouls on AOS as well. A County player is always going to get special attention, the refs were poor I thought, but it's really up to the player to rise above it even though that's not easy sometimes.

I thought Breaffy would edge past but they were no way 1/4 favourites, not even with Ruane and a fully fit Seamie... Knockmore at 7/2 were a serious value bet. If they're near that price for the final, I will back them. They'll limit Douglas' impact and they're an all round solid defensive unit who have a few lads up front that are worth mentioning too. Langan showed great for the ball great all day. Keith Ruttledge would give anyone a good run based on yesterday's performance and Naughton had a great game too I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 squarebale

I think that's a more reasonable account. Don't forget keane was stamped on himself and has the stud marks to prove it on his back but he doesn't moan or get in the refs face. He's an honest hardworking old school good footballer. I was a neutral watching the second game and I couldn't see an excessive treatment against any player. We all know which tubber player elbowed a guy in the face at the Mchale road side. All this stuff about refs really annoys me. I go to about 50 games a year at all levels and the ref rarely decides the winner - the winner is generally the better or hungrier team

I think that's a more reasonable account. Don't forget keane was stamped on himself and has the stud marks to prove it on his back but he doesn't moan or get in the refs face. He's an honest hardworking old school good footballer. I was a neutral watching the second game and I couldn't see an excessive treatment against any player. We all know which tubber player elbowed a guy in the face at the Mchale road side. All this stuff about refs really annoys me. I go to about 50 games a year at all levels and the ref rarely decides the winner - the winner is generally the better or hungrier team

Was he stamped on? Deliberately? I really doubt he was. If not, there's no point saying people are exaggerating things on one side and then doing the same for your own side in fairness. He had very little to moan about, he was out there to stop AOS playing and he did it well.

He's built like an Ox anyway, I was listening to Midwest while at the game.... "works in construction, built for destruction" was a great line they came out with. It was a bit like watching Keegan and Connolly go at it and we don't have too much to say about that when we've our Mayo hats on. Sadly it's part of the game now and it does ruin games but until they start putting a 2nd ref on the pitch to get all the off the ball stuff then it's going to remain there imo.

I didn't see the elbow in the second game. I've little sympathy for Cillian anyway. He's a great player but he looks for everything and makes a meal out of things. He tried to get McDonagh sent off in the first half, McDonagh charged into him after a free was given but you'd swear Cillian was blown up by a bomb with the way he threw himself. He's only drawing extra attention on himself there. It works for him though, he's an intelligent player, but as I said it's hard to feel any sympathy for him with some of the carry on.

• Advertisement

Seamie stepped on him trying to get out of the way. I was around 20ft from it and as I said I was a neutral at all the games yesterday.

Seamie stepped on him trying to get out of the way. I was around 20ft from it and as I said I was a neutral at all the games yesterday.

I do not believe there was any malice in that incident.I was a similar distance away and Seamie was trying to step out of the way.

Nobody is doubting that Knockmore were deserved winners of the game and as is true in the majority of cases the referee's performance had no great bearing on the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    I do not believe there was any malice in that incident

Absolutely none seligehgitCarney :)

I do not believe there was any malice in that incident.I was a similar distance away and Seamie was trying to step out of the way.

Nobody is doubting that Knockmore were deserved winners of the game and as is true in the majority of cases the referee's performance had no great bearing on the result.

Absolutely no doubt. Much hungrier and had a plan. I won't make it Sat night but I expect to hear they have won it.

Actually will it be on madwest radio or TnaGee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I doubt it'll be on TG4. They are always Sundays aren't they?

Absolutely no doubt. Much hungrier and had a plan. I won't make it Sat night but I expect to hear they have won it.

Actually will it be on madwest radio or TnaGee?

I'd say there's zero chance it'll be on TG4,as maroon and green mentioned TG4 seem to confine their club coverage to Sundays.Not too sure about MWR,if I hear anything I'll post it.

There may be a possibility it will streamed locally like previous games.

Still fancy the Mitchels to do the business.:)

Paddy has Knockmore at 7/2, he's tempting me but Mitchells should have enough. Am away too, just presumed MWR would have it on at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭boosabum

Coverage on midwest for sure. Also keep an eye on some local journalists twitter accounts as one or two have been know to use periscope to stream proceedings.

Two interesting articles in the Mayo News.

Mayo GAA chiefs could yet launch an investigation into the melee at the end of last Sunday's game between Breaffy and Knockmore.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/28831-mayo-club-melee-may-be-investigated

‘We can’t afford a commercial manager’ says Mayo GAA chairman

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/28829-we-can-t-afford-a-commercial-manager-says-mayo-gaa-chairman

It certainly would be a positive step forward if the county board could afford a commercial manager with a role similar to that of Mossy Quinn in Dublin.We can certainly take advantage of the goodwill of our many expatriates.It is questionable as to whither the county board is exploiting fully the powerful brand that is Mayo GAA.We'll never be likely able to compete with the sponsorship deals the Dublin's and Kerry's attract but hopefully we gain more traction in the money market.

Those monthly repayments of 30,000 euro per month are phenomenal even with an annual turnover of 4 million euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Two interesting articles in the Mayo News.

Mayo GAA chiefs could yet launch an investigation into the melee at the end of last Sunday's game between Breaffy and Knockmore.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/28831-mayo-club-melee-may-be-investigated

‘We can’t afford a commercial manager’ says Mayo GAA chairman

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/28829-we-can-t-afford-a-commercial-manager-says-mayo-gaa-chairman

It certainly would be a positive step forward if the county board could afford a commercial manager with a role similar to that of Mossy Quinn in Dublin.We can certainly take advantage of the goodwill of our many expatriates.It is questionable as to whither the county board is exploiting fully the powerful brand that is Mayo GAA.We'll never be likely able to compete with the sponsorship deals the Dublin's and Kerry's attract but hopefully we gain more traction in the money market.

Those monthly repayments of 30,000 euro per month are phenomenal even with an annual turnover of 4 million euro.

Regarding not being able to afford a commercial director,

https://twitter.com/MrNiallMcGarry/status/791023526954299392

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Regarding not being able to afford a commercial director,

https://twitter.com/MrNiallMcGarry/status/791023526954299392

Fair play to Niall McGarry,a very successful Mayo man and may I be so bold as to add Castlebar native.:)

If you hire the right Commercial Manager, they should pay for themselves in multiples. It's a bit of a strange statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

h the sponsorship deals the Dublin's and Kerry's attract but hopefully we gain more traction in the [/quote]

How many "Dublins" are there?, how many "kerrys" are there? Thats rte punditry lingo

If you hire the right Commercial Manager, they should pay for themselves in multiples. It's a bit of a strange statement.

That is true, but there will be a lag in realisation of the revenue as most likely deals would take months to conclude before any money is seen.
    There was a figure of €50,000 mentioned as a cost to the county. I think this is a bit conservative when you think of employer PRSI, pension contributions etc. This role (if it ever exists) would require an experienced person who could maximize revenue potential and i doubt they come cheap. The other aspect to this is that any legacy community related partnerships may be phased out which potentially may lead to loss of goodwill

boosabum wrote: »
    That is true, but there will be a lag in realisation of the revenue as most likely deals would take months to conclude before any money is seen.
    There was a figure of €50,000 mentioned as a cost to the county. I think this is a bit conservative when you think of employer PRSI, pension contributions etc. This role (if it ever exists) would require an experienced person who could maximize revenue potential and i doubt they come cheap. The other aspect to this is that any legacy community related partnerships may be phased out which potentially may lead to loss of goodwill

50 does seem low, can only image that that's the basic. I would have thought it would be near double that. It would be a worry if they think it's 50 as that is a salary of 45 for the employee. The right person will cost more than that.

There would be a lag but you're probably looking at getting a return after 6-9 months. Considering there's a turnover of 3-4 million, I think it's short sighted. The cost of this lag is relatively small in the overall scheme of things.

• Advertisement

The Senior and Intermediate finals on Saturday evening are going to be streamed. On the mobile so can't link.

The Senior and Intermediate finals on Saturday evening are going to be streamed. On the mobile so can't link.

http://www.localstreaming.club/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Would a competent commercial manager potentially shine a torch into corners that have a few skeletons?

First action any commercial manager should do is talk to Eurolink Motorway Operation Ltd who run or owe the M4 toll in Longford and look for a percentage of all the tolls they collect on match days. Be interesting to know how many €2.90's were collected on the day of the final and replay.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement