Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

boosabum wrote: »
    First action any commercial manager should do is talk to Eurolink Motorway Operation Ltd who run or owe the M4 toll in Longford and look for a percentage of all the tolls they collect on match days. Be interesting to know how many €2.90's were collected on the day of the final and replay.

Scrap the Commercial guy so, we just need a Mayo Tax on Tolls, Irish Rail, Topaz and Roddys....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

PARlance wrote: »
    Scrap the Commercial guy so, we just need a Mayo Tax on Tolls, Irish Rail, Topaz and Roddys....

Don't forget car flags and them covers for the wing mirrors

statto25 wrote: »
    Don't forget car flags and them covers for the wing mirrors

And the lads selling hats, flags or headbands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Went to see Westport and Shrule. Enjoyable game. Westport were the better team and probably should have won by more if they'd converted a few more chances. A few poor wides, but they dominated the midfield, especially in the second half. Some nice kick-passing on show. Conor Mortimer made an appearance for Shrule. Looks like he's been enjoying the beer, but kicked a decent point.

Twas a lovely night for a match, I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Great news Niall McGarry's offer of ten thousand euro towards the salary of a commercial manager for Mayo GAA has been accepted.

Tweet this evening.

"Offer accepted,Mayo GAA will get their much needed commercial manager!Hugely important to support your home place."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I can't say I'm the biggest fan of his websites but fair fecking play to him if that's the case. A Castlebar man getting big things done. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

seligehgit wrote:
    Great news Niall McGarry's offer of ten thousand euro towards the salary of a commercial manager for Mayo GAA has been accepted.

Has he got that kind of money? What does he do?

Has he got that kind of money? What does he do?

Owns Maximum Media, umbrella company for Joe.ie and Her.ie. I'd imagine he's extremely well off, still a great thing to do for Mayo GAA though, no matter how deep the pockets are.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭boosabum

generous contribution no doubt. i wonder could he have offered his business acumen also in terms of the experience in growing the "JOE" empire. I'd imagine he would have lots of great ideas which could be harnessed to provide
    commercial return

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fair play to Niall, a massive GAA fan and a tasty enough footballer in his time. Pi*sses me off though it takes an outside influence to come in to fund it, I might be cynical but it just stinks of Mayo Co board just more worried about money than growing the Mayo GAA brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

yop wrote: »
    Fair play to Niall, a massive GAA fan and a tasty enough footballer in his time. Pi*sses me off though it takes an outside influence to come in to fund it, I might be cynical but it just stinks of Mayo Co board just more worried about money than growing the Mayo GAA brand.
    Ya the county board are rotten to the core. What difference in taking this mans money but not from a fella in New York

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

The time to grow it was a couple of years ago during the Horan era. That being said, I don't think the following we've built up during the last few years is going away. We now consistently have one of the biggest followings in the country, league games, or for the latter stages in Croke Park. Fair play to McGarry.

naughto wrote: »
    Ya the county board are rotten to the core. What difference in taking this mans money but not from a fella in New York

Cos he's a media figure who tweeted about it and it gained traction. It forced their hand.

I'm going to hold my optimism on this until we see where the money ends up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

naughto wrote: »

Corrupt? i presume you're being sarcastic? :confused: The situation with the fella in NY is completely different. Friend of mine got a ticket off him for the replay, had the name of on eof the players on it, he's giving big bucks to individual players it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

Has anyone noticed all the money the County Board makes from "ticketless matches" usually underage competitions.I was recently at McHale Park,on a very wet Friday night where 4 minor teams put on a wonderful display of football.The biscuit tin had been replaced by a "saddle bag",money was grabbed,no ticket was handed over ......and there were about 2000 people in attendance that particular night,nice money if you can get it!!!!!!!! Mayo will never win anything when this sort of sh!t goes on,screw everyone and then screw them again and again.DISGUSTING!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Too many auld lads still involved who are too set in their ways, has hindered Mayo GAA progress outside of the field for years. The mess created at fundraising events in New York and elsewhere is already known about. So for this to happen is a massive boost. Maybe they're finally getting sense. Fair play to the lad McGarry. Mighty gesture:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

mayo.mick wrote: »

Really great service that streaming.

6 to 4 to Castlebar at HT by the way

Mitchells running away with it. Impressive win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Mitchells running away with it. Impressive win.

Is there any particular reason Neil Douglas has not been given a proper go in the league for Mayo ?
    Has to be worth another look
    Paddy durkan had an outstanding game too
    1 3 from play

km79 wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason Neil Douglas has not been given a proper go in the league for Mayo ?
    1 3 from play

Magnificent second half performance by the Mitchels.Superb performance from Paddy Durkan... Three absolute crackers from long distance and a great finish for his goal.He is so comfortable off of either foot.His hamstring injury didn't appear too serious?

Yes I'd be inclined to agree Neil Douglas should be drafted into the senior panel.His free taking off the ground from distance was top quality and his skillset is very impressive.He was tried out previously and dropped post the league.

It will take a good team to beat Mitchels in Connacht.

Congrats to Westport on winning the intermediate title,vastly superior to a very poor Kiltimagh team,they didn't do themselves justice.Westport I'd imagine will be competitive at senior level,quite a young team.Lewis Cawley at corner forward has something about him and Fionn McDonagh's free taking was impressive.Lee Keegan coasted his way through the game,his class shone through.He did make his presence felt.:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Only saw 2nd half, powerful display and seem to be a level about and dare I say not even in top gear.
    Durkan and Douglas were immense.

km79 wrote: »
    1 3 from play

The County Board should start funding jobs in Andy's gym!
    Did wonders for Andy this year and Douglas seems to have stepped up to another level. On recent performances, there really should be no chance about it, bring him in and give him all the time that's needed.

Durcan is some player, he has quietly gone about taking the mantle as one of the best players in the County. And he looks like he's just going to improve and improve. I would love to see him given the KMcL role next year.

Good to see Durcan continuing the good form over to the club. Douglas will surely be tried out for the county on the new year. I suppose.it's another story whether he's good enough to make it.

Replay of the hurling final today.

Ballyhaunis and Tooreen

• Advertisement

Heard from a reliable source that Paddy Durkan is unlikely to be risked next weekend.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Replay of the hurling final today.

Ballyhaunis and Tooreen

Ballyhaunis won 2 13 to 1 13. Higgins with 1 9 from midfield.

Did Keith Higgins get MOTM?Presuming he did with that haul from midfield.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Did Keith Higgins get MOTM?Presuming he did with that haul from midfield.

He did indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Ballyhaunis now play Oran the Roscommon champions on Wednesday night. That Connacht championship game was to be played tomorrow but postponed as the mother of a Oran player died last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The County Board should start funding jobs in Andy's gym!
    Did wonders for Andy this year and Douglas seems to have stepped up to another level. On recent performances, there really should be no chance about it, bring him in and give him all the time that's needed.

Durcan is some player, he has quietly gone about taking the mantle as one of the best players in the County. And he looks like he's just going to improve and improve. I would love to see him given the KMcL role next year.

Durcan is a future Mayo captain, no doubt about that....

On Douglas, he really must have improved no end since last year to be spoken of in terms of making an impact at county level.
    I saw nothing in last year's run to the final that merited him being given a chance so fair play if he has worked on his game since then. (haven't seen any club football at all this year worth talking about)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Does anyway know when the dates for the 2017 Championship are out?

GPA All Star awards are on Friday night @ 7.00 on RTE 1.

ureds wrote: »
    Does anyway know when the dates for the 2017 Championship are out?

The GAA master fixture list is usually out in early December, but you might get individual provincial fixtures before this, but they are usually low profile releases so you really have to go looking for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

New York and Sligo will kick off the 2017 Connacht senior football championship at Gaelic Park on May 7th.

The winners from the provisional round in the Big Apple will take on beaten All-Ireland finalists Mayo at MacHale Park in the quarter-finals on Sunday, May 21st.

The winners from that clash in Castlebar must then travel to Salthill to face defending champions Galway on June 11th.

The quarter-final meeting of London and Leitrim takes place on May 28th in Ruislip, with the victors from that one having to travel to take on Kevin McStay’s Roscommon on June 18th.

The final will be played on July 9th at a venue yet to be decided and the full provisional fixtures can be seen below:

Pre Lim: 7th May

New York v Sligo at Gaelic Park, New York (ET)

Quarter-finals

Sunday 21st May (replay Saturday, 27th May)

Mayo v Sligo /New York at MacHale Park

Sunday 28th May (replay Saturday 3rd June)

London v Leitrim at Ruislip

Semi-finals

Sunday 11th June (replay 17th June)

Mayo/Sligo/NY v Galway at Pearse Stadium

Sunday 18th June (replay 24th June)

Leitrim/London v Roscommon at Hyde Park

Final on 9th July

4 All Stars

Congratulations to David Clarke,Brendan Harrison,Lee Keegan and Colm Boyle.

I suppose it says it all the fact that we received no All Stars in the forwards.

Still hoping Lee Keegan can win POTY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

Delighted for Clark Harrison bit disappointed durcan didn't get one.
    But there is plenty of time for him to pick up a few if he keeps going the way he is.
    It says it all surly and we have know for a long time we have poor quality forwards.
    God knows what to do with aos at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

come on new york, imagination overload here, but if they beat sligo, do they get to play mayo in mchale park.
    Or do mayo have to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭boosabum

Mayo won't travel as they travel on a rotation basis, same with playing London.
    Last time new york travelled, they had issues with players trying to return as they were undocumented.
    Be interesting to see what would happen bearing in mind if new york do winthat game then they also have a second chance if beating by mayo.

• Advertisement

kupus wrote: »
    come on new york, imagination overload here, but if they beat sligo, do they get to play mayo in mchale park.
    Or do mayo have to travel.

It would be worst case scenario for the GAA.

NY could not travel to Ireland at full strenght if they have undocumented guys and Mayo ate unlikely to travel at short notice to the US.

Plus the qualifiers don't make accommodation for a NY win.

I'd love to know what the official plan for a NY win is, if there even is one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 squarebale

Choice of Clarke for all star re-enforces craziness of rochford replay selection. So happy for him after being shafted. I saw a picture of Rochford watching the club quarter-finals by himself. Contrasted with reports of him analysing the prospective opposition with the osheas at semi-finals. Problem is if he gets too independent the players may not keep him for next year. It's a thin line he must tread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

It would be worst case scenario for the GAA.

NY could not travel to Ireland at full strenght if they have undocumented guys and Mayo ate unlikely to travel at short notice to the US.

Plus the qualifiers don't make accommodation for a NY win.

I'd love to know what the official plan for a NY win is, if there even is one.

I think there was there some talk a few years back about New York only being allowed field players who were eligible to travel, I don't know if it was just a proposal someone floated or whether it was ever passed or anything.

I'd say there is a good chance if New York win they won't travel and the team they would play, would get a walkover. The walkover has a long and noble tradition in the GAA championship - the early years were full of them, so it would be a nice piece of throwback/heritage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Fair indictment of Rochfords decision to change keeper for replay to see Clarke get the All Star....which he fully deserved on his performances.

This notion that the Clarke All Star is a clear indication that Rochford f**ked up in replacing him for the replay is BS.

Hennelly was brought in because the Mayo management believed that, after analysis of the first game, an altered kick out strategy would take something away from Dublin's game plan.

As of turned out Hennelly made one bad mistake that resulted in a Dublin goal.

Had Higgins, Harrison and Durckan conceded three kickable frees that Dublin converted, no one would be talking about Clarke's All Star as some sort of "I told you so".

Hennelly is no slouch, it's not as if a guy was brought in who never had played at this stage, he and Clarke have swapped that jetesy for the last few years, ask 100 Mayo fans who should be in goals and it would be 50/50.

He just had one howler and now every keyboard warrior thinks they are smarter than Rochford.

Too often Mayo managers have been criticised for not making a brave decision.

Well done to Clarke on the All Star.

Let's look forward to 2017.

Ballyhaunis 1-12 Oran 0-9

Ballyhaunis play Ahascragh Fohenagh in the Connacht intermediate hurling club final on Sunday in Athleague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

This notion that the Clarke All Star is a clear indication that Rochford f**ked up in replacing him for the replay is BS.

Hennelly was brought in because the Mayo management believed that, after analysis of the first game, an altered kick out strategy would take something away from Dublin's game plan.

As of turned out Hennelly made one bad mistake that resulted in a Dublin goal.

Had Higgins, Harrison and Durckan conceded three kickable frees that Dublin converted, no one would be talking about Clarke's All Star as some sort of "I told you so".

Hennelly is no slouch, it's not as if a guy was brought in who never had played at this stage, he and Clarke have swapped that jetesy for the last few years, ask 100 Mayo fans who should be in goals and it would be 50/50.

He just had one howler and now every keyboard warrior thinks they are smarter than Rochford.

Too often Mayo managers have been criticised for not making a brave decision.

Well done to Clarke on the All Star.

Let's look forward to 2017.

It is very noble of you to stick up for Rochford and his decision and I agree it is not easy been a manager but the decision was as bad as it gets. I think the all star for Clarke makes Rochford's decision even worse. Clarke is and always was a better goalie over Hennelly. I don't agree with the 50/50 comment. I think clarke wins it every day and I hope he waits around.

Mayo needs him to wait as he is the best we have.

Delighted for Keegan as well after all the **** he had to put up with. Great week for him after the intermediate win. The real leader on the pitch for me and 100% team player. Keegan to lead us in 2017.

It is very noble of you to stick up for Rochford and his decision and I agree it is not easy been a manager but the decision was as bad as it gets. I think the all star for Clarke makes Rochford's decision even worse. Clarke is and always was a better goalie over Hennelly. I don't agree with the 50/50 comment. I think clarke wins it every day and I hope he waits around.

Mayo needs him to wait as he is the best we have.

Delighted for Keegan as well after all the **** he had to put up with. Great week for him after the intermediate win. The real leader on the pitch for me and 100% team player. Keegan to lead us in 2017.

I'd agree with the sentiments expressed by Father Tod but like yourself believe the majority of Mayo supporters would opt for David Clarke in spite of the toing and froing that has gone on in recent years.

It is time for the likes of Matthew Flanagan to be drafted in to the panel as we plan for a long term successor.

Lee Keegan would make a very worthy captain but I doubt Cillian O Connor will lose the captaincy.

I don't quite understand the fascination with the All-Stars or why they bother people so much. I get that it's a nice personal achievement for the players as individuals and I don't begrduge anyone their personal awards, but acting like they're some kind of last word on everything is silly. I think David Clarke is deserving of his award, but his selection is partly to do with his performances and partly to do with his 'story', imo, and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if there's a bit of divilment in the decision to include him too, knowing that his inclusion would get people talking and to get a last dig in on the management for not picking him in the final. It's a public way of showing support for a keeper they felt was hard done by.

Mossy Quinn in the Examiner even getting his two cents in now saying that the choice to include Clark in the All-Stars puts "further questions" to the Mayo management. Does it now? I feel like every question that could be asked about this issue has been asked about 10 times already. I don't know what else anyone could add that could be in any way meaningful or why we should continue to rehash the debate simply because some journalists decided they wanted to hang out with David Clarke instead of Evan Comerford or Stephen Cluxton.

And just to reiterate, that is not to say that Clarke doesn't deserve his award. He's a great keeper who was at times the difference for us this year and played a crucial role for us in the championship. I hope he sticks with the football for next year, but I can respect it if he chooses not to. Matty Flanagan should be brought through from U21 as his understudy, imo.

Leave the captaincy with Cillian. Unless Cillian himself doesn't want the responsibility and removes himself from the role, then I see no reason for messing about with that.

• Advertisement

PressRun wrote: »
    I don't quite understand the fascination with the All-Stars or why they bother people so much. I get that it's a nice personal achievement for the players as individuals and I don't begrduge anyone their personal awards, but acting like they're some kind of last word on everything is silly. I think David Clarke is deserving of his award, but his selection is partly to do with his performances and partly to do with his 'story', imo, and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if there's a bit of divilment in the decision to include him too, knowing that his inclusion would get people talking and to get a last dig in on the management for not picking him in the final. It's a public way of showing support for a keeper they felt was hard done by.

Mossy Quinn in the Examiner even getting his two cents in now saying that the choice to include Clark in the All-Stars puts "further questions" to the Mayo management. Does it now? I feel like every question that could be asked about this issue has been asked about 10 times already. I don't know what else anyone could add that could be in any way meaningful or why we should continue to rehash the debate simply because some journalists decided they wanted to hang out with David Clarke instead of Evan Comerford or Stephen Cluxton.

And just to reiterate, that is not to say that Clarke doesn't deserve his award. He's a great keeper who was at times the difference for us this year and played a crucial role for us in the championship. I hope he sticks with the football for next year, but I can respect it if he chooses not to. Matty Flanagan should be brought through from U21 as his understudy, imo.

Leave the captaincy with Cillian. Unless Cillian himself doesn't want the responsibility and removes himself from the role, then I see no reason for messing about with that.

Clarke got the all star because he was the best goalkeeper in the championship this year, it's that simple. There's nothing to read between the lines, he fully deserved it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement