Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Comerford and Cluxton were also very good. There's an argument to be made for all of them. But, like I say, it doesn't particularly bother me who wins these things tbqh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

There is, but Cluxton had a huge meltdown for 10 minutes against Kerry and Comerford really wasn't any better than Clarke and his side didn't go as far as Clarke's. That makes any argument for those two a little weaker in my opinion, but it was a close race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Delighted for the lads. Keegan and Boyler well deserved, and an indication of how Harrison has progressed, fair play to him. As for Clarke, I'm not going to slate Rochford, as I think he made some great calls this year BUT it was a crazy decision to drop Clarke and let's face is, it cost us big time - that's just saying it how it is. Well done to Davie Clarke, a top player and great servant to Mayo GAA, should never have been dropped but what can you do about it now. Roll on next year.

martyos121 wrote: »
    There is, but Cluxton had a huge meltdown for 10 minutes against Kerry and Comerford really wasn't any better than Clarke and his side didn't go as far as Clarke's. That makes any argument for those two a little weaker in my opinion, but it was a close race.

Cluxton had a meltdown against Kerry, but he did recover well later in the match when things could have easily fallen apart and was very good in both finals. Clarke had a great year and was instrumental in getting us to the final, but according to Stephen Rochford, his kickouts were a problem towards the end of the first match against Dublin. There were issues with both Clarke and Cluxton at different points this year. How many issues were there with Comerford's keeping? I haven't studied the guy's form in great detail, but I don't remember him making any huge mistakes. So where does that place him in relation to Clarke and Cluxton? Lower down because he didn't make a final?

There were three very good goalkeeping displays this year, however, my point was merely that I don't think an All-Star thing should be used as some kind of 'I told you so' bit against the management, which is how some are trying to spin it. I am a huge Clarke supporter and I think he has been the best goalkeeper we've had in a while and he had a huge year, but the All-Stars are completely overblown and they shouldn't be used as some definitive indictment of Rochford. At the end of the day, it's an awards show primarily for people to pat each other on the back, for journalists to mix with players and for everyone to drink a load. The oracle hasn't spoken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

PressRun wrote: »
    Cluxton had a meltdown against Kerry, but he did recover well later in the match when things could have easily fallen apart and was very good in both finals. Clarke had a great year and was instrumental in getting us to the final, but according to Stephen Rochford, his kickouts were a problem towards the end of the first match against Dublin. There were issues with both Clarke and Cluxton at different points this year. How many issues were there with Comerford's keeping? I haven't studied the guy's form in great detail, but I don't remember him making any huge mistakes. So where does that place him in relation to Clarke and Cluxton? Lower down because he didn't make a final?

To be fair to Clarke, Mayo were out on their legs at that point when Clarke gave two bad kickouts. They looked like they were going to be beaten.
    The issue always comes back now on the goalie if the kickout does not hit their man but alot has to be made on the runs by the players to make the kick out easier on the goalie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Re mossy quinn putting in his two cents, why would you pay that any mind? The dubs will tow the party line in the papers, we seen that before the final replay. You can be sure we wont read too many columns about guys diving and showing imaginary cards any time soon.

The reality is they want to talk about mayo because they are worried about mayo.

On the topic of rochford, i firmly believe him to be our best ever manager. What he achieved in his first season was exceptional. No manager gets everything right, but i will say now, he came damn close to doing so. I dont think ge can be blamed for his gk making that sort of fundemental error, that cant be anything other than hennellys error. But nobody will want to meet us in 2017 and we are in a great place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Re mossy quinn putting in his two cents, why would you pay that any mind? The dubs will tow the party line in the papers, we seen that before the final replay. You can be sure we wont read too many columns about guys diving and showing imaginary cards any time soon.

The reality is they want to talk about mayo because they are worried about mayo.

On the topic of rochford, i firmly believe him to be our best ever manager. What he achieved in his first season was exceptional. No manager gets everything right, but i will say now, he came damn close to doing so. I dont think ge can be blamed for his gk making that sort of fundemental error, that cant be anything other than hennellys error. But nobody will want to meet us in 2017 and we are in a great place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The All star to Clarke does not make Rochford’s decision any better or any worse. Receiving the all star does not change the performances that Clarke put in this year. His performances did not warrant him to be dropped in the AI final replay. It’s not rocket science! There was very very little between the 3 main contenders really. Cluxton’s meltdown against Kerry probably cost him somewhat while maybe if Quinlivan hadn’t got one for Tipp, Comerford may have been gotten the nod.

Colm Keys had an article after the AI replay where he said that Mayo management felt Clarke’s kickouts were directly responsible for 5 – 7 of Dublin’s points. I would have loved to watch the final back after reading that to see if I could identify those 5 – 7 points but unfortunately I did not have access to it. From memory, I find it difficult to come close to that amount of scores.

During his time in Corofin, one of the criticisms levelled at Rochford was that he liked to do something that nobody else would even contemplate – if it came off, it made him look like a genius. Corofin are so far ahead of other clubs in Galway that he could get away with doing stuff like that. His decision to replace Hennelly with Clarke absolutely reeked of that. It was not a brave decision by Rochford. A brave decision is when you decide to drop a top player who is not in good form; for example, Gavin dropping Brogan for the replay was a brave but logical move – If I was Dublin manager, I wouldn’t have been brave enough to make that move. I don’t think Mayo fans are split 50 / 50 regarding Clarke & Hennelly. Even going back to before the Galway match, I would have said that the majority of Mayo fans I know preferred Clarke as goalkeeper. On the morning of the AI final when the rumour about Hennelly starting came out, 100% of Mayo fans I talked to (and other county fans too) could not understand it & thought Clarke should have retained his place.

I’d be curious to know Clarke’s stance on it at the moment and how Rochford dealt with Clarke in the aftermath. I guess we will never really know but if ever a player was owed an apology for being wrongfully dropped, it is Clarke. Every manager makes mistakes. This was one of the most un-necessary mistakes made by a manager in a final. But Rochford is young and hopefully is learning from his mistakes. Mayo need to stick by him for at least another year to see if he can evolve and progress the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭boosabum

Rochfords decision making all year was excellent, however not withstanding the goalie issue there are a few question marks lingering since the replay:

1. Brought on Dillon who was injured and hasn't kicked a ball since
    2. Put Barry in FF while the midfield was being dominated by MDNA towards the end of the game.
    3. Not bringing on Regan or another forward when the game was wide open, needed a pacey player to get on the ball and run at the defense

I still feel Dublin were a better team on the day of the replay and extra time would have suited them more so than us but than will only ever be speculation now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

The All star to Clarke does not make Rochford’s decision any better or any worse. Receiving the all star does not change the performances that Clarke put in this year. His performances did not warrant him to be dropped in the AI final replay. It’s not rocket science! There was very very little between the 3 main contenders really. Cluxton’s meltdown against Kerry probably cost him somewhat while maybe if Quinlivan hadn’t got one for Tipp, Comerford may have been gotten the nod.

Colm Keys had an article after the AI replay where he said that Mayo management felt Clarke’s kickouts were directly responsible for 5 – 7 of Dublin’s points. I would have loved to watch the final back after reading that to see if I could identify those 5 – 7 points but unfortunately I did not have access to it. From memory, I find it difficult to come close to that amount of scores.

During his time in Corofin, one of the criticisms levelled at Rochford was that he liked to do something that nobody else would even contemplate – if it came off, it made him look like a genius. Corofin are so far ahead of other clubs in Galway that he could get away with doing stuff like that. His decision to replace Hennelly with Clarke absolutely reeked of that. It was not a brave decision by Rochford. A brave decision is when you decide to drop a top player who is not in good form; for example, Gavin dropping Brogan for the replay was a brave but logical move – If I was Dublin manager, I wouldn’t have been brave enough to make that move. I don’t think Mayo fans are split 50 / 50 regarding Clarke & Hennelly. Even going back to before the Galway match, I would have said that the majority of Mayo fans I know preferred Clarke as goalkeeper. On the morning of the AI final when the rumour about Hennelly starting came out, 100% of Mayo fans I talked to (and other county fans too) could not understand it & thought Clarke should have retained his place.

I’d be curious to know Clarke’s stance on it at the moment and how Rochford dealt with Clarke in the aftermath. I guess we will never really know but if ever a player was owed an apology for being wrongfully dropped, it is Clarke. Every manager makes mistakes. This was one of the most un-necessary mistakes made by a manager in a final. But Rochford is young and hopefully is learning from his mistakes. Mayo need to stick by him for at least another year to see if he can evolve and progress the team.

I was directly behind the goal and the general feeling amongst both sets of fans was that he "gave away" a goal and 4 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

That is a bit of strange statement. He lost 2 championship games this year. James Horan is probably Mayo best ever manager at inter county level in recent times. He won 4 Connacht titles in 4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Gael85 wrote: »
    That is a bit of strange statement. He lost 2 championship games this year. James Horan is probably Mayo best ever manager at inter county level in recent times. He won 4 Connacht titles in 4 years.

Connaught titles are completely irrelevant to Mayo, its all about Sam. I do still agree with your assertion re Horan, Rochford may very well in time, I actually think he will, buts it far too soon to make a s weeping statement like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭flasher0030

This notion that the Clarke All Star is a clear indication that Rochford f**ked up in replacing him for the replay is BS.

Hennelly was brought in because the Mayo management believed that, after analysis of the first game, an altered kick out strategy would take something away from Dublin's game plan.

As of turned out Hennelly made one bad mistake that resulted in a Dublin goal.

Had Higgins, Harrison and Durckan conceded three kickable frees that Dublin converted, no one would be talking about Clarke's All Star as some sort of "I told you so".

Hennelly is no slouch, it's not as if a guy was brought in who never had played at this stage, he and Clarke have swapped that jetesy for the last few years, ask 100 Mayo fans who should be in goals and it would be 50/50.

He just had one howler and now every keyboard warrior thinks they are smarter than Rochford.

Too often Mayo managers have been criticised for not making a brave decision.

Well done to Clarke on the All Star.

Let's look forward to 2017.

I think it's a common opinion that Hennelly was the cause of 1 goal and 3 points, and his poor kick-out led to Lee Keegan getting black-carded, and he got black-carded himself. Can't be just summed up as "one howler".

Rochford was trying to be too clever when there was no need to. As well as the tangible reasons for changing goalies i.e. kick-out statistics etc, they should have taken into account another just as important factor - how would the mental state of Hennelly hold up under the pressure of the limelight being on him. It's not like an outfield player - obviously they would be nervous leading up to the match, but once the game starts, they are runnin, getting involved, and that nervousness translates into nervous energy (for many people anyway). But goalie is different. They are standing around a lot of the time. They don't get to run off that anxiety. If you take a bad kickout, you have too much time on your own to dwell on it. This was the biggest game of the year in GAA - and the fact that it was a replay made it more intriguing with all the media attention. And in this case, Rochford was putting Hennelly in there - and putting the responsibility on him to counteract one of the most important aspects in GAA at the moment - pushing up on the kickout. Hennelly hadn't even played in the previous 5 or 6 games.

It was not brave. I think it was egotistical - "look at my managerial genius - see what I did to win the All-Ireland". But it all went horribly wrong. I could be wrong, but I would imagine that Hennelly was a bag of nerves on that Saturday evening, and that is what led to the errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭boosabum

Gael85 wrote: »

James Horan lost both all ireland finals he managed.
    At least Maughan and Rochford managed to not get bet in one a piece :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well done to Diarmuid o Connor, YPOTY for the second year in a row, just like Cillian.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Lee Keegan POTY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Delighted for Lee Keegan. Well deserved recognition for him I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

seligehgit wrote: »
    Lee Keegan POTY!!!

Best footballer in Ireland. Deserved.

Anybody heading to the Mitchels game v Tourlestrane today?Can't make it,for once in my life work matters must take priority on a Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Well done to DOC and LK, deserving winners.

2017 FBD fixtures announced

Round 1 8th January

Mayo v NUIG 2pm

Round 2 15th January

Mayo v Sligo IT 2pm

Round 3 22nd January

Roscommon v Mayo 2pm

https://oceanfm.ie/site/2016/11/04/fbd-insurance-league-fixtures-2017/

• Advertisement

Nice one I presume there'll be one game in McHale Park,Ballina and probably Ballinlough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Oldtree wrote: »
    Well done to DOC and LK, deserving winners.

2017 FBD fixtures announced

Round 1 8th January

Mayo v NUIG 2pm

Round 2 15th January

Mayo v Sligo IT 2pm

Round 3 22nd January

Roscommon v Mayo 2pm

https://oceanfm.ie/site/2016/11/04/fbd-insurance-league-fixtures-2017/

Jan 22nd will be the high water mark in 2017 for the rossies then !

Delighted for the real leader in our team Keegan....boy can this man quieten the oppositions best player and play a bit of ball too. There is no crap out of him and he doesn't have to be in the media. Its just a pity we don't have enough of players like him in the forward line with the drive and will to do what is necessary.

They have to make him captain for 2017 now and his other side kick DOC vice.

Andy just on Off The Ball there. Spoke very well about the year. Still sounds as enthusiastic as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

PressRun wrote:
    Andy just on Off The Ball there. Spoke very well about the year. Still sounds as enthusiastic as ever.

Back for another year too

Mitchels leading Tourlestrane btw. Neil Douglas going well, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

https://twitter.com/edmcgreal/status/794924624219873280

Picked up the MOTM award today. I know we're blessed with forwards but he really does deserve his chance. But the further Mitchels progress, the less chance he'll get.

Did anybody get up to the match?Report on same?Corofin up next,hoping it's not next week as I'll be unavailable again.Anybody know who's got home advantage?

McHale Park next Sunday.

• Advertisement

From what I've seen of the Mitchels, they look well organised and their movement of the ball is very quick. They look like they could be hard to beat. I haven't heard a whole lot about Corofin this year though. Any word on what they've been like?

Any word on a time for the match next weekend seligehgit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

From what I've seen of the Mitchels, they look well organised and their movement of the ball is very quick. They look like they could be hard to beat. I haven't heard a whole lot about Corofin this year though. Any word on what they've been like?

Corofin going well too from what I've seen of them. Nobody came close to them in Galway this year.

I'd prefer Corofin to get knocked out of this so that Galway have a full contingent to pick from at the start of next year. If it was any other club, I'd like to see them progress but Corofin have already won enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Fixtures for the FBD league 2017 have been announced. Venues still to be confirmed.

Mayo GAA FBD League Fixtures 2017

Section A

Round 1 Mayo v NUIG, Sunday 8th January (2pm, venue tbc).

Round 2 Mayo v Sligo IT, Sunday 15th January (2pm, venue tbc).

Round 3 Roscommon v Mayo, Sunday 22nd January (2pm, venue tbc).

Final : Section A winner v Section B winner, Sunday 29th January (2pm, venue tbc).

http://mayoclub51.com/mayo-gaa-2017-fixtures-results/senior-football-fixtures-results-2017/

Thanks for that.

Not sure re the time but it is going to be televised on TG4,not sure as yet if it's deferred coverage or not.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Back for another year too

Delighted Andy is staying on for another year,his passion for the county is infectious.He is a great role model for the youth of the county.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great wins for Westport and Louisburgh. 3 Mayo teams still in contention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Kalyke wrote: »
    Can't see it happening tbh and if he does, he will be in his 30s and I am not sure if he would be a big addition at that stage of his career.

Anyone know how his younger brother is doing?

All Star Clarke mulling over his future

Article in the Western People

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=262954

Hope David does whatever is best for him and his family,he still has a lot to offer the Green and Red.

All Star Clarke mulling over his future

Article in the Western People

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=262954

Hope David does whatever is best for him and his family,he still has a lot to offer the Green and Red.

I would say he will wait for another year as he probably wouldn't have said nothing and just retired. I hope he waits as he is so important. Rochford just needs to tell him something to that effect so he realizes this. He is probably still a bit fed up after the final but that will go once the new year kicks in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Surprised to hear he's the first Mayo POTY, although the fact that the award nearly always goes to an All-Ireland winner might help explain...

I think he came across very well. It reminded me a bit of the McDonald interview especially when he mentioned the media, the way he chills out before the games and the team ethic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Okay so it has to be in the stars now for 2017....... after last night the so called underdog Trump winning along with so many other underdogs winning ;)

Great interview by Leeroy.

Sunday from 1.30 on TG4

Connacht Club Football Semi Final

Castlebar Mitchels (Mayo) v Corofin (Galway)

Ulster Club Football Semi Final

Killyclogher (Tyrone) v Slaughtneil (Derry)

I presume the Mitchels game is on at 2, fuming but I can't make it again but at least TG4 coverage will keep me happy.

Sunday from 1.30 on TG4

Connacht Club Football Semi Final

Castlebar Mitchels (Mayo) v Corofin (Galway)

Ulster Club Football Semi Final

Killyclogher (Tyrone) v Slaughtneil (Derry)

I presume the Mitchels game is on at 2,fuming but I can't make it again but at least TG4 coverage will keep me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Ref playing a cracker here for castlebar mitchells.keeping them in it nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

At the game, pretty dour stuff. Still give Mitchels a shout at f they can maybe nick a goal.

I can't believe we're still in the contest,the Mitchels have been very disappointing to put it mildly.Very pedestrian and cumbersome buildup play,an at this stage almost total reliance on winning a free(on occasion soft in nature) is not good enough.

Some awful wides from placed balls and play.

In marked contrast Corofin have constructed some lovely scores but will be very disappointed to be only two points to the good at the break.

Surely Castlebar Mitchels can only but improve in the second half with the assistance of the wind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Where are the Feeneys for Castlebar gone to?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Ref is on a promise here if there was ever one.the mitchells have him bought.just a pity he can't kick the frees and all for them.a 16 man mitchells and still struggling

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement