Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Et on the way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Corofon should win this but Mitchels have all the luck all day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Gael85 wrote: »
    Where are the Feeneys for Castlebar gone to?

Alan in UK and Richie has found go....lf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Ref is on a promise here if there was ever one.the mitchells have him bought.just a pity he can't kick the frees and all for them.a 16 man mitchells and still struggling

Hon Tipp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

6 games in 6 weeks probably too much to ask in the end. They looked fairly knackered. Much needed break for the likes of paddy Durcan and Barry Moran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

PressRun wrote: »
    6 games in 6 weeks probably too much to ask in the end. They looked fairly knackered. Much needed break for the likes of paddy Durcan and Barry Moran.

All a bit 'meh' in the end in Castlebar yesterday.

I got the vibe that most people were looking at the county picture and having everyone getting a good rest and having a full panel to choose from for the league in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

padd b1975 wrote: »
    All a bit 'meh' in the end in Castlebar yesterday.

I got the vibe that most people were looking at the county picture and having everyone getting a good rest and having a full panel to choose from for the league in the new year.

Mayos objective for the NFL the last few years was requiring enough points to say up and unless Rochford aims to win the league title in 2017 they won't need full panel to choose from.

Apart from B Moran,Durcan how many county standard division one and regular championship business end footballers do Castlebar have? Plenty of talk about Douglas but I doubt on his showing yesterday and the two club AL finals he will bring much improvement to the Mayo forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mayos objective for the NFL the last few years was requiring enough points to say up and unless Rochford aims to win the league title in 2017 they won't need full panel to choose from.

Apart from B Moran,Durcan how many county standard division one and regular championship business end footballers do Castlebar have? Plenty of talk about Douglas but I doubt on his showing yesterday and the two club AL finals he will bring much improvement to the Mayo forward line.

That's a valid argument,deserved win for Corofin yesterday.No talk re resting of players pre the loss yesterday but I do believe the punishing schedule caught up on Castlebar Mitchels.I would expect Corofin to be possibly challenging for honours on St. Patrick's day.

It is a shame for Neil Douglas but I would agree with your thinking.

I don't think we'll know with Neil Douglas untill he's given a proper shot at it at county level.

• Advertisement

I don't think we'll know with Neil Douglas untill he's given a proper shot at it at county level.

His free taking technique really needs to be looked at.
    It appears as if it can't be anything but inconsistent by the way he kicks the ball-much too forced.
    His success ratio on Sunday certainly seemed to say that.

He has improved from last year where I felt he was well short of county standard, he's probably still short but heading in the right direction.

One for the FBD at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭flasher0030

His free taking technique really needs to be looked at.
    It appears as if it can't be anything but inconsistent by the way he kicks the ball-much too forced.
    His success ratio on Sunday certainly seemed to say that.

He has improved from last year where I felt he was well short of county standard, he's probably still short but heading in the right direction.

One for the FBD at the moment.

With Cillian O'Connor there for the frees, Douglas is not going to get a sniff at those. What else does he bring that the likes of Evan Regan, Jason Doherty, Mickey Sweeney, Alan Freeman, Mark Ronaldson don’t have. He looks very slight. J Cooper, Enright, McMahon etc. would have a little chuckle to themselves if they saw him on a Mayo starting line-up in Croke Park. He’s a good footballer, but not county standard (in my opinion). But it is only fair that he be given a proper try.

I remember when Diarmuid O'Connor started with the county team I was told by more than one person that while he was a technically better footballer than Cillian, he was far softer than Cillian and thus wouldn't be up to county standard. Paddy Durcan didn't exactly set the world alight earlier in the year, but gradually came into his own with more game time and experience.

You can only know if a player is up to the standard by giving them a proper shot and allowing them a real opportunity to prove themselves, and that means more than an FBD game here and there. I wonder how many players have fallen under the radar because people took one look at them and said "not county standard" and that was that. Neil Douglas has been the top scorer in Mayo club football and is more deserving of a shout than some players who have been included in the championship squad based on much less. If he's given a decent go at it and it doesn't work out, fair enough. But this thing of discarding players without ever really giving them an opportunity in the first place is rash, imo. It's not like we're coming down with players who can score. Surely the top scorer in our club scene deserves more than a shrug and a "he's not county standard"?

And while we're talking about players who can score, Diarmuid O'Connor needs to be played in a more attacking role. He is wasted with this defensive business. Diarmuid is a forward, let him go forward. It's not his job to do the defenders' work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

With Cillian O'Connor there for the frees, Douglas is not going to get a sniff at those. What else does he bring that the likes of Evan Regan, Jason Doherty, Mickey Sweeney, Alan Freeman, Mark Ronaldson don’t have. He looks very slight. J Cooper, Enright, McMahon etc. would have a little chuckle to themselves if they saw him on a Mayo starting line-up in Croke Park. He’s a good footballer, but not county standard (in my opinion). But it is only fair that he be given a proper try.

I would argue that these three (Mickey Sweeney, Alan Freeman, Mark Ronaldson) have had ample opportunity to show their worth and have not pushed on. I would prefer some new guys in. They offer nothing new and it would appear some of them are happy panel players. I think the likes of Douglas deserves a proper shot ahead of these guys to really test him but to do this he needs league time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I would argue that these three (Mickey Sweeney, Alan Freeman, Mark Ronaldson) have had amble opportunity to show their worth and have not pushed on. I would prefer some new guys in. They offer nothing new and it would appear some of them are happy panel players. I think the likes of Douglas deserves a proper shot ahead of these guys to really test him but to do this he needs league time.

I'm pretty sure Freeman is the only one of those 3 that were left on the panel come championship time if not earlier last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Diarmuid O'Connors game is all about workrate and is a total team player. People will remember the Kildare game this summer and think that's what he should be like regulary but it was a rare top scoring match for him against a woeful defence much like A O Shea v Sligo last year.

Be it club,U21,minor or at college level he rarely shot the lights out as a forward. A very different type of player to his older brother.

• Advertisement

So on another note McHale Park is amongst the stadia listed in the IRFU's World Cup Rugby 2023 bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

seligehgit wrote: »
    So on another note McHale Park is amongst the stadia listed in the IRFU's World Cup Rugby 2023 bid.

One of the bigger stadiums in the country too so we might see decent teams playing there should the bid win.

Only issue I see with the bid from a GAA standpoint is that the usual RWC dates would clash with the All Ireland final, and the victory reception in McHale Park on the Monday. :)

That, and the fact that the pitch could be ruined by the scrums.

Good news.

Although the general feeling on the rugby forum seems to be that it's most likely to be the one to be culled.

If all goes well though, we should be able to get some improvements done on the cheap.
    Hopefully get the plastic seating extended along the whole of the McHale Road side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

padd b1975 wrote:
    If all goes well though, we should be able to get some improvements done on the cheap. Hopefully get the plastic seating extended along the whole of the McHale Road side.

I'd imagine its the town and lack of accommodation that would be the problem

• Advertisement

I'd imagine its the town and lack of accommodation that would be the problem

The consensus has been that it is one of the stadia most likely to be culled but it's funny I'd a discussion about the lack of accommodation in Castlebar but it was argued that there is ample supplies of same in Westport.Willie Ruane the CEO of Connacht Rugby and a Ballina native may have been influential in the preferencing of McHale Park over the nightmare that is Pearse stadium in Salthill.

Morning Ireland reported the Tipp folk were up in arms re the exclusion of Semple stadium.TBH I'm surprised myself but it was for that very reason it didn't make the cut and the relative nightmare it is to access the stadium by road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

If all goes well though, we should be able to get some improvements done on the cheap.
    Hopefully get the plastic seating extended along the whole of the McHale Road side.

More of the cheap blue seats on the cheap.... I'm aghast ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

The consensus has been that it is one of the stadia most likely to be culled but it's funny I'd a discussion about the lack of accommodation in Castlebar but it was argued that there is ample supplies of same in Westport.Willie Ruane the CEO of Connacht Rugby and a Ballina native may have been influential in the preferencing of McHale Park over the nightmare that is Pearse stadium in Salthill.

Morning Ireland reported the Tipp folk were up in arms re the exclusion of Semple stadium.TBH I'm surprised myself but it was for that very reason it didn't make the cut and the relative nightmare it is to access the stadium by road.
    With knock airport being so close this will have a major say in it rather than the accommodation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

naughto wrote: »
    With knock airport being so close this will have a major say in it rather than the accommodation.

Loads of accommodation within a 20 mile radius, and an awful lot cheaper than Westport too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

mayo.mick wrote:
    Loads of accommodation within a 20 mile radius, and an awful lot cheaper than Westport too

I imagine the accommodation thing will be much improved in 7 years time. It's at an unusually low ebb in the town itself at the moment. Doubt it will be a major issue. Road , rail and air links much more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would imagine that the Minister for Regional Development will continue to play a role too. I would be fairly confident it won't be culled, it beats PS on so many levels... plenty of area / fields around the McHP for all the convoy and corporate hospitality that may come with it. Can't see accommodation being an issue at all really.

Cox's will be wedged all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

RWC games in McHale would be great for Mayo. Accommodation wouldn't be a big issue as Castlebar is served well by train and Knock airport. Travelling fans would be based all over the county and indeed the country. For the last RWC there were some fans based here and travelling over to the UK on days of the games. If Irish hotels start taking the piss with their prices the same thing might happen in reverse.

Oldtree wrote: »
    More of the cheap blue seats on the cheap.... I'm aghast ;-)

Anything is better than the concrete benches, they're totally inadequate in 2016 never mind 2023.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

seligehgit wrote:

Pearse Stadium is also in the bid I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

Pearse Stadium is also in the bid I believe

If tip didn't get is because of the roads there's no way pearse stadium will get a look in.that place is a disaster for a league game never mind a world cup game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

naughto wrote: »
    If tip didn't get is because of the roads there's no way pearse stadium will get a look in.that place is a disaster for a league game never mind a world cup game

But it is in the biggest city in the West of Ireland, with great road and rail connections from Dublin.

Don't worry about it, there will be lots of park and rides, shuttle buses etc. Never forget that when we held the Ryder Cup here in the K Club we got thousands of people down country lanes to the venue. If we can get the Pope to Ballybrit my friend, we can get rugby to Pearse Stadium. No Bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I appreciate the Mayo positivity on here but if Mayo gets selected instead of Galway I'd be legitimately shocked. Traffic is a major issue granted but if Ireland were to be successful Galway would have to factor in for an Italy-Samoa match at least. Mayo would still get a heap of hotel bookings and tourists.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Friend this on, some fundraiser, I'm not associated, just thinks its appropriate for us Mayo lads! :D

https://www.teezily.com/christmas-jumper-sam-maguire#/product=15&color=navy&side=front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Anything is better than the concrete benches, they're totally inadequate in 2016 never mind 2023.

Demolish them behind the goals and build proper terracing, plastic seats all along the Mchale Rd side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

PARlance wrote: »
    I would imagine that the Minister for Regional Development will continue to play a role too. I would be fairly confident it won't be culled, it beats PS on so many levels... plenty of area / fields around the McHP for all the convoy and corporate hospitality that may come with it. Can't see accommodation being an issue at all really.

Cox's will be wedged all the same.

I think it will be. I've never been able to get a hotel room in Castlebar when I vist your fair county for league games. The teams, media, RWC logistical staff etc etc will hoover up whatever little accomodation there is in Castlebar, leaving very little for the ordinary punter/tourist. Still think that Castlebar is a very serious contender, given that the Whest will have to have a game somewhere, purely for appearances and political jiggerypokery. It has a rail line and proximity to an airport, but it has no motorway, so they kinda cancel each other out in a way.
    RobbieRuns wrote: »
    But it is in the biggest city in the West of Ireland, with great road and rail connections from Dublin.

Don't worry about it, there will be lots of park and rides, shuttle buses etc. Never forget that when we held the Ryder Cup here in the K Club we got thousands of people down country lanes to the venue. If we can get the Pope to Ballybrit my friend, we can get rugby to Pearse Stadium. No Bother.

Funny. But didn't JP2 have a helicopter? :D

Even funnier is saying it has great road connections from Dublin. Have you never gotten stuck behind a tractor doing 10 mph, on the outskirts of Claremorris? :rolleyes:

Any word on whether the Kerry match is going to be in Killarney or Tralee? I think it's scheduled as a saturday evening match and as was pointed out here, there are no lights in Killarney. I wonder will it be changed to Sunday afternoon or switched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

ProudDUB wrote: »

Even funnier is saying it has great road connections from Dublin. Have you never gotten stuck behind a tractor doing 10 mph, on the outskirts of Claremorris? :rolleyes:

If you ended up in Claremorris going from Dublin to Galway, a slow tractor is the least of your problems

Ha ha ha....was talking about Castlebar, not Galway. My bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ha ha ha....was talking about Castlebar, not Galway. My bad.

You still shouldnt be anywhere near Claremorris

• Advertisement

Rockfish wrote: »
    You still shouldnt be anywhere near Claremorris

Stayed there in Feb, when Dublin played Mayo in the league. Couldn't get accommodation in Castlebar. Some spot. The Fidgians will love it. :p

Wins for Westport & Louisburgh in the Connacht club Intermediate & Junior finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I appreciate the Mayo positivity on here but if Mayo gets selected instead of Galway I'd be legitimately shocked. Traffic is a major issue granted but if Ireland were to be successful Galway would have to factor in for an Italy-Samoa match at least. Mayo would still get a heap of hotel bookings and tourists.

Dont think it's necessarily either one or the other. Celtic Park in Derry would be a favourite to get dropped if any of them I'd say, and Nowlan in Kilkenny wouldn't be far behind. And then there's Casement, which might not get built at all. Also, going by the last few RWCs, they may not drop any stadiums. 12 has been the norm up to now, England used 13 last year. The last time fewer than 12 were used was 1995 when there were only 16 teams in the tournament.

So the Kerry match next year is now in Tralee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Some details on what would happen if NY beat Sligo from a qualifier POV

From the master fixture list
    17.06.2017 (Sat)
    Preliminary Round (If Required)
    In the event that Nua Eabhrac defeat Sligeach in the Quarter-Final of the Connacht
    Championship then Sligeach shall be drawn to play one of the other 8 counties in Round 1A
    which do not qualify for a Provincial Semi-Final in a Preliminary Round qualifier. A draw shall
    be made for home advantage*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

So the Kerry match next year is now in Tralee?

Yes. I don't think Fitzgerald Stadium has lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

statto25 wrote: »
    Yes. I don't think Fitzgerald Stadium has lights.

Where is this listed? I know a few people with hotels booked for Killarney...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

glack wrote: »

It's on the GAA Master Fixture list and also on the Mayo GAA website.

glack wrote: »

http://mayogaa.com/news-detail/10014429/

Tralee about half an hour/40 minutes from Killarney? I think there'll be a bit of craic in Killarney anyway if people have booked there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Tralee about half an hour/40 minutes from Killarney? I think there'll be a bit of craic in Killarney anyway if people have booked there already.

Ya but not ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

A lot had booked Killarney about 6 weeks ago, better craic there

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement