Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Really hurt Tipp alright with Brendan Maher taking part. Not relevant imo

And Jackie Tyrrell form Kilkenny no less did it the years before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

If you have not won an all ireland all of your efforts should be going into that one goal, not feeding your own ego

I am sure AOS was not the first choice for this, a Dublin player would be much more high profile and marketable but we know that Gavin would not stand for it in his set up.  I guess thats the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Bit different when you've already an AI medal in your pocket. People won't be as quick to criticise when you have that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Bit different when you've already an AI medal in your pocket. People won't be as quick to criticise when you have that.

Exactly, and both Tyrell and Maher perform when it matters most,on the big stage.!!
    And both are slow to court the media.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

Looking in from outside.... The sooner Aidan o Shea is left at home the better for Mayo football.... He just loves the media too much.. Playing basketball now to get the photo in the paper...

Watching all Ireland this yr... For me it was dublins day when John small took down cillian connor.. Cillian looked to linesman.. No action... He punched the ground like a pure child when nothing was done.... The o se's wouldn't have done that when the played with Kerry... Either would galvin.... Those boys looked after those things themselves.... There were what you call MEN.... I'm heading to a north Kerry football final shortly.... The ref will throw in the ball and blow the whistle for half time and full time.... Each player will be expected to look after themselves while the game is on..... And if you can't you shouldn't be there..... Mayo lads would want to take a good look at themselves.... And I couldn't give a ****e if they never won a match again...... No ones fault only there own they ain't winning the big prize....

That's a lot of full stops....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jackie had a medal in every pocket and a few spare for the good suit

Comparing Tyrell to AOS is some insult to Jackie, not that he would give 2 ****es, with EIGHT A.I. medals on his mantle.
    But when did we ever see Tyrell 'go missing' in a final..??
    I rest my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Bambi wrote:
    Jackie had a medal in every pocket and a few spare for the good suit

What's this stone age caveman attitude that a player can't do any media without having won an All Ireland? So basically 99% of players in the country need to keep their gob shut and "keep their head down and concentrate on getting a medal". It's 21st century Ireland lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Plus, players have put in mammoth work for years, it's very sad that supporters would begrudge them an opportunity to do something for themselves for a week, even if it was in February! Bit of cop on needed on this subject

Muahahaha wrote: »
    For me this is the damning part-
    Why? Holmes and Connelly believe it arises from an unwillingness on the part of the players to take responsibility for their part in the team's persistent failure in big matches. They note that when, after taking over, they asked senior players why they felt Mayo had come up short in recent seasons. The players, "told us match-ups were wrong, opposition analysis was poor, there was a lack of adaptability and they had no defensive plan. They also highlighted some errors for goals and also occasions when they had turned over the ball too easily."
    Holmes and Connelly observe that this meant the players were largely blaming "factors outside their control" for their underachievement.
    In fact, they were implicitly blaming the management of James Horan, something which seems to give the lie to the argument that player objections to the new duo were founded on a perception that there had been a drop-off in standards since Horan's time

But look at what happened in 2016 under Rochford

The defence was totally revamped, no more leaking goals at an alarming rate, three goals conceded v Dublin in the final, 2 o.gs and a penalty, and far fewer gaols chances for Dublin that we saw in the two games last year.

Playing McLoughlin as a sweeper was a success at the end of the day.

The whole narrative for the summer of 2016 was “look at Mayo, they are now adapting their game to suit the situation”

Look at the Tyrone QF and compare it to the Tyrone league game in 2015, I know they are two very different situations, but the way that Mayo approached both games is totally different.

I would have no faith that H&C would be able to adapt the way Rochford did.

So the argument that management previously did not put enough into game planning is a very valid one if you ask me.

As I said before all of this would be well and good if Mayo fell flat in 2016, they didn’t.

People wrote them off at half-time v Fermanagh, they won

People wrote them off v Tyrone, they won

Some people even suggested that they would lose to Tipp, they won

People said that Dublin would roll over them; they drew and lost by the slimmest of margins.

The players more than stood up for themselves in 2016, and with a management team that was smarter than we saw previously they improved IMO.

And one of the players who voted against the heave ended up as POTY.

I was against the heave when it first happened, I though H&C were “ridden rock solid” after what they did in 2015, but as 2016 went on my opinion was changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Plus, players have put in mammoth work for years, it's very sad that supporters would begrudge them an opportunity to do something for themselves for a week, even if it was in February! Bit of cop on needed on this subject

Exactly!

Brendan Maher also did The Toughest Trade and he had an All-Ireland medal in his back pocket 7 months later so obviously it wasn't something that was necessarily a hindrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Green Peter

what was the issue with their appointment again?

Didn't McStay withdraw once it became clear that the players didn't want to work with Liam McHale? I certainly remember him saying something like that when he withdrew. And I don't recall any other contenders outside Holmes / Connelly

The players didnt want to work with McHale!!! There's a hint here of what was to come. Maybe the players with big ego's didnt feel they could influence things with McHale on board. Maybe this was the real loss to Mayo. Maybe this was the opportunity to get the team over the line and the players egos again got in the way!

The players didnt want to work with McHale!!! There's a hint here of what was to come. Maybe the players with big ego's didnt feel they could influence things with McHale on board. Maybe this was the real loss to Mayo. Maybe this was the opportunity to get the team over the line and the players egos again got in the way!

Take a look at Roscommon.

Your answer to working with McHale is right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Robeman

Who is to say that the players didn't put their name on the letter? Were you there to see it? Who is to say, basically anything, if that is the attitude?
    We can all go down that route if we want to.

And who was? Rochford was the obvious candidate for everyone else, he was nailed on for the job and the only person nominated. You need to stop talking in riddles and actually say what you think.

If they were to somehow come up against each other, the current team would hockey them. They are the best team ever. Not the most successful, but definitely the best.

If that is what you think then you haven't a clue. Donegal were celebrating in 2014 when Kerry beat us.

It is just a rant at this stage...

You don't seem interested in discussing the thing on its merits and with an open mind, so I don't see the point in continuing debating with you.

Also, you don't have to keep putting the word egos in inverted commas, its a genuine word...

The lettter to the county board at the bottom wqas signed "Mayo senior panel" This was typed not hand written. Nobody put their name on the letter. FACT

Once SR declared an interest yes he was nailed on for the job as the county board were fully aware of who "egos" wanted and there was no way they were having her as they knew she was was behind the coup. FACT

When you compare teams accross distant eras you assess them by their successes. 36 \ 50\51 team all won and were best teams in Ireland in those years. Current team have never been the best in Ireland only 2nd \ 3rd \ 4th best. There were no "egos" on 36 \ 50 \51 teams than god otherwise they too would have failed. OPINION

Whether Donegal were celebrating or not does not matter now to them or us. Ket fact is Donegal have won 2 All Ireland while we have been losing 10. OPINION

I was first person to mention "egos" in Mayo panel two months ago. national Press have now picked up on it. If I am ranting I am in good company. If you do not want to debate with me that is fine. I am already well informed about what went on. I was ridiculed 2 months ago as well and many did not want to hear the truth then and many wanted me banned and succeeded. I feel sorry for all the innocent supporters out their who think that everything about mayo football is perfect and that all we are missing is another forward or two. Life in Zimbabwe is perfect also if we are to believe President Mugabe

If you know any of the 2015 panel \ 2015 backroom team \ 2015 county board \ well informed Mayo GAA individuals can I suggest you speak with them to get to the truth of the matter as I have done.

What's this stone age caveman attitude that a player can't do any media without having won an All Ireland? So basically 99% of players in the country need to keep their gob shut and "keep their head down and concentrate on getting a medal". It's 21st century Ireland lads.

I don't think anybody is suggesting that. What they are saying is that the likes of AOS talks the talk but goes missing when his team need him most.
    Forget the 3 goals scored off the Sligo junior B full back, its consistent performances on the big stage that matter.
    That is the point you are missing.

If mayo had as many all irelands as Kilkenny and Tipp (they even have more Football all ireland s than Mayo I think never mind the hurling) then it would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Your answer to working with McHale is right there.

Take a look at Roscommon.

God himself wouldn't last with Roscommon!

But look at what happened in 2016 under Rochford

The defence was totally revamped, no more leaking goals at an alarming rate, three goals conceded v Dublin in the final, 2 o.gs and a penalty, and far fewer gaols chances for Dublin that we saw in the two games last year.

Playing McLoughlin as a sweeper was a success at the end of the day.

The whole narrative for the summer of 2016 was “look at Mayo, they are now adapting their game to suit the situation”

Look at the Tyrone QF and compare it to the Tyrone league game in 2015, I know they are two very different situations, but the way that Mayo approached both games is totally different.

I would have no faith that H&C would be able to adapt the way Rochford did.

So the argument that management previously did not put enough into game planning is a very valid one if you ask me.

As I said before all of this would be well and good if Mayo fell flat in 2016, they didn’t.

People wrote them off at half-time v Fermanagh, they won

People wrote them off v Tyrone, they won

Some people even suggested that they would lose to Tipp, they won

People said that Dublin would roll over them; they drew and lost by the slimmest of margins.

The players more than stood up for themselves in 2016, and with a management team that was smarter than we saw previously they improved IMO.

And one of the players who voted against the heave ended up as POTY.

I was against the heave when it first happened, I though H&C were “ridden rock solid” after what they did in 2015, but as 2016 went on my opinion was changed.

What happen under Rochford can be summarised in three words "We lost again"

Three different managers over 6 years pretty much same players \ pretty much same results each year and somehow the only problem mayo had in that period is the manager for one of the years. The common element in all years is the players and particularly the "Egos"

Worshipping the "egos" will lose us 2017 All Ireland as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

All the hostility this has stirred up and increased focus it will bring on Rochford next year I hope H and C got well paid for the interview ...........one things for sure they won't be acknowledged in any possible AI winning speech !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Robeman wrote: »
    The lettter to the county board at the bottom wqas signed "Mayo senior panel" This was typed not hand written. Nobody put their name on the letter. FACT

Once SR declared an interest yes he was nailed on for the job as the county board were fully aware of who "egos" wanted and there was no way they were having her as they knew she was was behind the coup. FACT

When you compare teams accross distant eras you assess them by their successes. 36 \ 50\51 team all won and were best teams in Ireland in those years. Current team have never been the best in Ireland only 2nd \ 3rd \ 4th best. There were no "egos" on 36 \ 50 \51 teams than god otherwise they too would have failed. OPINION

Whether Donegal were celebrating or not does not matter now to them or us. Ket fact is Donegal have won 2 All Ireland while we have been losing 10. OPINION

I was first person to mention "egos" in Mayo panel two months ago. national Press have now picked up on it. If I am ranting I am in good company. If you do not want to debate with me that is fine. I am already well informed about what went on. I was ridiculed 2 months ago as well and many did not want to hear the truth then and many wanted me banned and succeeded. I feel sorry for all the innocent supporters out their who think that everything about mayo football is perfect and that all we are missing is another forward or two. Life in Zimbabwe is perfect also if we are to believe President Mugabe

If you know any of the 2015 panel \ 2015 backroom team \ 2015 county board \ well informed Mayo GAA individuals can I suggest you speak with them to get to the truth of the matter as I have done.

Hmm I've been hearing about these 'egos' a long time before 2 months ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Writing FACT after things doesn't prove them. You never seen the letter, so the facetious 'how do we know for sure' applies to your posts just as much as it does to the ones you were using it against.

You clearly have some agenda here and you wont listen to any possibility where the players weren't trying to dictate everything, despite it being quite reasonable. No point continuing with you.

I see the article was panned by both Eamon McGee and the guys on off the ball also. Obviously they didn't get your FACT memo...

If mayo had as many all irelands as Kilkenny and Tipp (they even have more Football all ireland s than Mayo I think never mind the hurling) then it would be ok.

So by that logic, if Denis Bastick had rightly been penalised for picking the ball off the ground in the dying seconds of the drawn game last year and O'Connor pops over the gimmie free, it is all justified?

What a load of nonsense.

Eoin Larkin can go to Syria, AOS cant go to Sunderland... Some people would really want to get real.

km79 wrote: »
    All the hostility this has stirred up and increased focus it will bring on Rochford next year I hope H and C got well paid for the interview ...........one things for sure they won't be acknowledged in any possible AI winning speech !

H & C will not be paid for interview as newspapers to not pay sportspeople for interviews. I heard today that Western People in Mayo could have had exclusive with H & C a few weeks ago but did not happen for whatever reason.

Maybe they were afraid "egos" would boycott them next season. From articles written by ????(forget first name) Hennigan Sports editor a couple of months ago obvious he knows what happened.

Only hinted at what happened in article and did not name names. Probably the lawyers would not let him.

It is a pity that we cannot call on CIA in US as they probabaly have tapes of all the mobile conversations between plotters in their files. As they say in US it would blow this case wide open if we had the transcripts.

Maybe " The Donald" would release them if we asked politely

Writing FACT after things doesn't prove them. You never seen the letter, so the facetious 'how do we know for sure' applies to your posts just as much as it does to the ones you were using it against.

You clearly have some agenda here and you wont listen to any possibility where the players weren't trying to dictate everything, despite it being quite reasonable. No point continuing with you.

I see the article was panned by both Eamon McGee and the guys on off the ball also. Obviously they didn't get your FACT memo...

Ah but I have seen the letter. No signatures of any players.

H & C will not be paid for interview as newspapers to not pay sportspeople for interviews. I heard today that Western People in Mayo could have had exclusive with H & C a few weeks ago but did not happen for whatever reason.

Maybe they were afraid "egos" would boycott them next season. From articles written by ????(forget first name) Hennigan Sports editor a couple of months ago obvious he knows what happened.

Are you for real?

• Advertisement

Hmm I've been hearing about these 'egos' a long time before 2 months ago!

So have I but I only mentioned it on this board two months ago.

Ah but I have seen the letter. No signatures of any players.

Any proof of that?

'We don't know for sure', do we? On and on that goes my friend. You brought that facetious nonsense to the table, so you can have it back all day long.

Are you for real?

The fact bit is that the Western could have had the exclusive with H & C a few weeks ago also that Henningan wrote about situation over a few weeks back around october.

Obviously I have good sources.

The boycott bit is not a fact as most readers will understand.

Any proof of that?

'We don't know for sure', do we? On and on that goes my friend. You brought that facetious nonsense to the table, so you can have it back all day long.

If I posted a copy of letter on this board would you believe it or would you claim it was a forgery.

It is 100% typing so it would be very easy to forge if one wanted to retype.

If what I am saying is facetious nonsense then so is what the Indo is printing, what the Western was hinting at what H & C are saying.

It seems the "egos" are above reproach in your eye.

It is totally your perogative to not believe my posts. Nevertheless Mayo have lost 10 all ireland finals and there must be reasons greater than a missing forward or two.

Some Mayo supporters are like a person with an obesity problem, until they admit they have a problem they will never fully cure themselves.
    It is obvious to even those on the outside of the county that there are small group who control what goes on in that camp.  You will never win anything as long as that is the case.  I wonder how much of the money AOS gets from all his media gets distributed back amongst the squad, seeing that they are the ones who carry him when the going gets tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

On this whole Aidan O Shea back and forth- both parties behaved stupidly.

The coaches should have chatted to him about it before getting him pulled from the show and he should then have respected their opinion.
    O Shea always strikes me as someone who is bit too distracted and self absorbed by how he can win the game and raise his profile and not how Mayo can do it so I'd say they were probably right to want to keep him away from the spotlight.

The comparison with Tyrell doesnt really add anything to the debate- fame and attention sit differently on different peoples shoulders

On this whole Aidan O Shea back and forth- both parties behaved stupidly.

The coaches should have chatted to him about it before getting him pulled from the show and he should then have respected their opinion.
    O Shea always strikes me as someone who is bit too distracted and self absorbed by how he can win the game and raise his profile and not how Mayo can do it so I'd say they were probably right to want to keep him away from the spotlight.

The comparison with Tyrell doesnt really add anything to the debate- fame and attention sit differently on different peoples shoulders

What I heard is that coaches did discuss it with him and made their thinking very clear to him. They also contacted program producers (one of whom is either from Mayo or has close mayo connections) to ask them to stay away from him which I think was also mentioned in Indo.

In 2016 either AOS did not ask or else he did and SR said it was OK. Interesting that COC was in an ad in 2016 but was not in one that I saw in 2015.

What I heard is that coaches did discuss it with him and made their thinking very clear to him. They also contacted program producers (one of whom is either from Mayo or has close mayo connections) to ask them to stay away from him which I think was also mentioned in Indo.

In 2016 either AOS did not ask or else he did and SR said it was OK. Interesting that COC was in an ad in 2016 but was not in one that I saw in 2015.

My understanding is the sequence was- they told the show boys to stay away, Aidan got onto them and then they discussed it.

Open to correction though

My understanding is the sequence was- they told the show boys to stay away, Aidan got onto them and then they discussed it.

Open to correction though

You could be right on the sequence. We seem to agree on key fact that it was discussed.

You could be right on the sequence. We seem to agree on key fact that it was discussed.

The timing is important here, which I think is fairly obvious

kilns wrote: »
    Some Mayo supporters are like a person with an obesity problem, until they admit they have a problem they will never fully cure themselves.
    It is obvious to even those on the outside of the county that there are small group who control what goes on in that camp.  You will never win anything as long as that is the case.  I wonder how much of the money AOS gets from all his media gets distributed back amongst the squad, seeing that they are the ones who carry him when the going gets tough

You see the thing about all of this is it would be far more relevant if it were 19/12/2015 and not 19/12/2016.

IMO the Mayo players performances in 2016 showed us that egos in the camp are far less of a problem than people make them out to be.

If egos were a problem this team would have not got past Fermanagh, and there is no way they would have beaten the footballing powerhouse and managerial genius that is Tyrone and Mickie Hearte.

As another poster said all this will just make them more determined next year.

I see the Indo had a few lines saying that the Mayo camp were not commenting on all of this, no s**t Sherlock.

If I posted a copy of letter on this board would you believe it or would you claim it was a forgery.

It is 100% typing so it would be very easy to forge if one wanted to retype.

If what I am saying is facetious nonsense then so is what the Indo is printing, what the Western was hinting at what H & C are saying.

It seems the "egos" are above reproach in your eye.

It is totally your perogative to not believe my posts. Nevertheless Mayo have lost 10 all ireland finals and there must be reasons greater than a missing forward or two.

I would 100% claim that 'we couldn't know for sure' - simply because that is the nonsense logic you use to dismiss perfectly reasonable points. Im just giving you your own back. If you don't like it then maybe you should consider your own posting style?

As for the reason we haven't won an all Ireland - we have yet to be seen as the favourite for a final, so straight away we are fighting uphill. We have yet to get a single break from a ref in a final (something I accredit to refs being very clearly swayed by public perception and media in the gaa, but that is for another day). We got tactics wrong too on occasion (which players were lambasted for acknowledging, even though the likes of breheny stated the very same in the past), but more often than not, we were just not as good as the other team, which will generally happen when you aren't the best team in the country at that time...

And yet, we are getting closer and closer to overthrowing these teams. I think we could do it this year coming to be honest. Sometimes it seems we the mayo fans need to be dragged kicking and screaming into reality.

Truth be told, in this article, all the two lads have done is show how out of touch they were with managing teams of that nature. They come across quite 'stoneage' and headmaster-ish in their approach, and it is clear to me that they were not the right men for this role.

You see the thing about all of this is it would be far more relevant if it were 19/12/2015 and not 19/12/2016.

IMO the Mayo players performances in 2016 showed us that egos in the camp are far less of a problem than people make them out to be.

If egos were a problem this team would have not got past Fermanagh, and there is no way they would have beaten the footballing powerhouse and managerial genius that is Tyrone and Mickie Hearte.

As another poster said all this will just make them more determined next year.

I see the Indo had a few lines saying that the Mayo camp were not commenting on all of this, no s**t Sherlock.
    But isnt there a strong indication that the "Egos" demanded a change of goalkeeper for the replay which may have cost them the match?

There are more "egos " on this thread than in the mayo dressing room
    Mother of jaysus

Happy Xmas everyone :D
    Up mayo

But isnt there a strong indication that the "Egos" demanded a change of goalkeeper for the replay which may have cost them the match?

That's a stretch in my opinion.

If the "egos" were that powerful why did Clarke start the 6 games between Galway and the replay ?

Clarke's kickouts had me in bits for a lot of the summer.

I think management had the most influence in that decision rather than the players.

Edit: Just another point on this.
    Why does everyone assume just because it was said in this interview that players lobbied for Hennelly back in spring 2015 that its true.

The goalkeeper selection and events that followed were huge talking points in the replay.
    It would do H&C no harm to claim now that there was a precedent there knowing full well that none of the players would retort.

They could be pretty pissed off that the 2016 team fared better than the 2015 version (and they did in my opinion anyway) and throwing the Hennelly thing out there was a way to get back at some players.

Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I think it's time to name the "egos".
    And also time to stop putting the word ego inside quotation marks.
    Bizarre timing from H&C to release this to the press.....they had some sort or moral high-ground by not publicising whatever happened. 
    Not sure what they hoped to achieve by doing it (?)....the best thing that could come out of it would be if it helps develop some sort of siege mentality that drives the team on.The squad deserves to win an All-Ireland, regardless of who's managing them or how many egos are in the dressing room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Looks like the players are calling the shots. I wouldn't mind if they had a fistful of All-Irelands. The fact they have none makes it all the more bizarre.

Sad to say but Mayo football will remain a laughing stock if some people think they are bigger than the team. And in this Mayo squad, several players seem to think this way.

They should feel lucky to play for Mayo and not entitled. And self entitlement seems to feature a lot in this story.

No Sam for Mayo for the foreseeable future or until the big egos depart the scene.

There are more "egos " on this thread than in the mayo dressing room
    Mother of jaysus

Happy Xmas everyone :D
    Up mayo

FBD starts on Jan 8th, less than three weeks away :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Cartman78 wrote: »
    The squad deserves to win an All-Ireland, regardless of who's managing them or how many egos are in the dressing room

The last Mayo team that deserved an all Ireland is the last mayo team that won an all Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

FBD starts on Jan 8th, less than three weeks away :)

Just 20 sleeps to go :D

18653214.gif

Oldtree wrote: »
    Just 20 sleeps to go :D

18653214.gif

Keep calm
    Mayo for Sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Keep calm
    Mayo for Sam
    gonna get that put on a t-shirt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Do people honestly believe that the O'Shea's forced Rochford to put Henley in goals for the replay?!? Bonkers

One of the major issues with the article is the way in which Holmes and Connelly make thinly veiled suggestions and insinuations to cast aspersions on Rochford's ability to manage. The Hennelly stuff is a prime example. This along with the comments about Horan are well below the belt. It's not for them to reveal how players felt about Horan (information which was presumably told to them in confidence) or to make suggestions about what's going on in Stephen Rochford's dressing room. Suggestions of this kind undermines the management. Just because they were incapable of managing doesn't mean everyone is. As I said before, things were under control under Horan. It's not a coincidence that the players suddenly became "unmanagable" under Holmes and Connelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Egos or not the majority of the Mayo performances in the league and championship in 2016 was average as best this year.

Lets be honest 9 times out of 10 Mayo would beat Fermanagh comfortably in MacHale park. Mayo won but needed a very dodgy penalty to help them on their way and the first half performance showed why Mayo lost to Galway at home.

As for Tyrone they won their first provincial title this summer for 6 years and they played their league football in div 2, nobody would have tipped Tyrone to beat a top three team like Mayo were rated at the start of the year but some had their doubts with the less impressive way Mayo were performing on route to that quarter final. Mayo however did win but who knows what would have happened if Tyrone kept 15 men on field.

Mickey Harte (open to correction) has beaten Mayo once in the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ammc

PressRun wrote: »
    It's not for them to reveal how players felt about Horan (information which was presumably told to them in confidence)..... As I said before, things were under control under Horan. It's not a coincidence that the players suddenly became "unmanagable" under Holmes and Connelly.

It makes you wonder though if Horan seen the storm coming down the road and decided the time was right to step aside. And for the players(or a cohort) to blame Horan for their failings definitely says alot about the players that Horan put his trust in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement