Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Kauto wrote: »
    Robeman is obviously related to one of the two gimps.

Please stop quoting him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I`ve seen posters rightly banned from Boards.ie for less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Ah cheer up now lads
    Let's all get behind the boys for the fbd
    We can do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Bambi wrote: »
    Shush lad, Keegan stayed on the pitch for the full game, that's enough. Lane was so panicked he was blowing up on demand for for Cillians scores, McCarthys black card for Cillian's swan dive. Swings and roundabouts, lots of them. You'll only see the roundabouts though.

Only for this...Only for that..Only for the other...

Keegan was given a black card in the replay for a non-black card offence. I don't see how you can try to argue that as a negative for your own county.

If lane had blown on bastick, like he should have, then Dublin would have lost the game, so crowing about the ref blowing on things is a bit rich.

As for McCarthy; nailed on black card for a deliberate third man tackle. He clearly ran into O'Connor to block him tracking Kilkenny. It was a cynical act and well done to the ref for acting on it.

So again, I ask for these game changing things that went mayos way. So far you have come up with zero.

statto25 wrote: »
    The word "egos" is really grating on me now....

Indeed. As for putting it in inverted commas and repeating it in every sentence- is it a joke or an attempt to sound smart that Im just not getting? :confused:

Maybe you can enlighten us "Robeman"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

So again, I ask for these game changing things that went mayos way. So far you have come up with zero.

Oh go on, I'll bite.

Cooper charged in the back just after the goal. The action was deliberate, unprovoked and dangerous. Every single official looking directly at it. No doubt about who did it. No action whatsoever taken.

Cooper black carded about a minute later, the previous event clearly still on his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

Jaden wrote:
    Cooper charged in the back just after the goal. The action was deliberate, unprovoked and dangerous. Every single official looking directly at it. No doubt about who did it. No action whatsoever taken.

I'm pretty sure he got a yellow card for that tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anyhow anybody care to offer any suggestions as to any new faces that we're likely to see in action come the FBD league?

Hoping to see some of last year's crop of All Ireland under 21 winners...

Matthew Flanagan,David Kenny,Stephen Coen from what I recall saw action last year and I'd love to see Seamus Cunniffe,Michael Plunkett,Shairoze Akram,Brian Reape and most especially Matthew Ruane get some game time.

I am sure Michael Hall will see some game time. Conor Loftus is certainly the other stand out member of the team alongside Matthew Ruane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

seligehgit wrote: »
    Anyhow anybody care to offer any suggestions as to any new faces that we're likely to see in action come the FBD league?

Matthew Flanagan,David Kenny,Stephen Coen from what I recall saw action last year and I'd love to see Seamus Cunniffe,Michael Plunkett,Shairoze Akram,Brian Reape and most especially Matthew Ruane get some game time.

I am sure Michael Hall will see some game time. Conor Loftus is certainly the other stand out member of the team alongside Matthew Ruane.

Flannagan looked solid between the sticks I thought last year below in Ballina against Sligo IT. Would like to see those lads you named get a run out myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Have heard Brian Reape will be involved. To what extent, I don't know. Could see Stephen Coen playing a more prominent role this year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

I heard Liam Irwin from Breaffy is involved also so might get a run in January.

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Flannagan looked solid between the sticks I thought last year below in Ballina against Sligo IT. Would like to see those lads you named get a run out myself.

Yes I thought he was very solid that day,good under the high ball with a very good kick out.From what I've seen of him he's not prone to any calamitous errors of judgement.

He appears to be in a very strong position to be the long term successor to David Clarke.There's a lad togging out for Castleknock(Morven Connolly) and he's supposed to be very decent.I don't know what part of the county he's from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Robeman wrote: »

I will return to this post after the league and next December.

This board will still be here probably with 30,000 posts

Is there any scenario in which you would be happy and/or stop writing drivel about egos?

eg. If AOS lifts Sam above his head in Croke Park next September will you still be crapping on about how he should be dropped for being an "ego"???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Is there any scenario in which you would be happy and/or stop writing drivel about egos?

eg. If AOS lifts Sam above his head in Croke Park next September will you still be crapping on about how he should be dropped for being an "ego"???

In fairness the egos are calling the shots
    This needs to be sorted
    It is what it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The article said that the O'Sheas lobbied for Hennelly to be the goalkeeper back in spring 2015 because they preferred his kickouts.

We have no idea if that is even true, all we have are the words of two ousted managers.

Now people are jumping to the conclusion that the O'Sheas were responsible for the keeper change in the final.

If I recall the talk some time after the final was that it was Tony McEntee that was the originator of the keeper change idea, that theory is far more believable than the O'Sheas theory.

That's what selectors are for after all.

The O'Sé theory regarding the final was very strongly rumoured once it became clear Hennelly was starting. On a pre-match interview with the Sunday Game, Cora Staunton also alluded to "the Breaffy connection" having a bearing on Hennelly starting. Since H & C have said that the O'Sé's asked for Hennelly to start a year earlier, it does add substance to the rumour they did the same again this year. Anyway, it is all just speculation.....

The problem with Mayo is not management or their attitude. It is just that they lack 1, maybe 2 quality forwards in their forward-line. From 1 - 9, they are arguably better than Dublin. However, from 10 - 15, there is a serious issue. Whoever is Mayo manager will not magically conjure up the kind of forward that you are missing.

The O'Sé theory regarding the final was very strongly rumoured once it became clear Hennelly was starting. On a pre-match interview with the Sunday Game, Cora Staunton also alluded to "the Breaffy connection" having a bearing on Hennelly starting. Since H & C have said that the O'Sé's asked for Hennelly to start a year earlier, it does add substance to the rumour they did the same again this year. Anyway, it is all just speculation.....

The problem with Mayo is not management or their attitude. It is just that they lack 1, maybe 2 quality forwards in their forward-line. From 1 - 9, they are arguably better than Dublin. However, from 10 - 15, there is a serious issue. Whoever is Mayo manager will not magically conjure up the kind of forward that you are missing.

Yip it all comes down us unearthing a couple of match winning forwards as has been the issue for time eternal. That's the crux of our failure to win an All Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Keegan was given a black card in the replay for a non-black card offence. I don't see how you can try to argue that as a negative for your own county.

If lane had blown on bastick, l

Y'see I knew you were going to respond like that. County coloured glasses on, blinkers up. The ref didn't miss anything when it came to us, sure we're no good at fouling. He gave us nothing, same every other ref. Only for Denis Bastick/Bertie Ahern/Oul Mr Brennan we would have won

Same ould excuses. Over and over. Have Mayo won once in their last 10 games against Dublin? :confused:

km79 wrote: »

I suppose the view of a gob****e who happens to be buddies with the players in question could be described as "alternative" alright :D

Did Wolly address the fact that the letter is all the evidence anyone needs to see what the problem is in Mayo? Players demanding management be sacked and a veto on who is appointed as next manager. Total madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

In Mayos most recent AI finals they have scored 0-15 and 1-14 twice, those totals should be good enough to win any final if you are solid defensively.

Who ever plays in goal isn't better than Dublins no 1. Do Mayo have defenders in the full back line as good as McMahon or Cooper? O Sullivan,McCarthy and returning mccaffrey are more than a match for Mayo half back line.

Mayo have plenty of decent midfield options but were any of them as good as Fenton was the last two years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Mayos issue is a standard enough one in football IMO. I've seen two Dublin teams with the same so called issues, not enough forwards but the "best halfback line in the country " etc . A lot of it is BS , back when you'd draw with Kerry or lose to Armagh by a point or back further to early 90's when the northern teams would beat us by a point or two.
    Thing is looking back we didn't have the best halfback line , we didn't have a team that played as a team. It's the same with mayo now IMO. Someone like Lee Keegan to me seems focused or over focused if you get me on making sure his man doesn't score. I get the impression that means too much to him to fit a healthy team ethic. I like everything I read from Lee himself, but to me it's a leadership issue from the individuals to the management. For example if what I hear about AOS from some mayo people I know is true, for me he's too big for the team imo.

I do however think that the selection issues that popped up this year might bring some reality to the situation.

While I agree that mayo could do with a forward or two, they could also do with some inspirational match winners in their backs and midfield, lads who can read a game better and manage the momentum of a game. Too many times AOS has been bunched for the last quarter. I've never seen mayo finish with their best team in the big games. Keegan should help the midfield out more imo instead of being glued to his man, he has it in him to step it up at crucial times in the game.

Plus if Mayo's current forwards spent less time defending and more time attacking it would make life harder for the backline. For example Gooch or B Brogan never put the defensive shift in that the mayo forwards, it allows them to be in the right place at the right time, I sometimes think that the right place for a mayo forwards to be is always no more than one play away from winning the ball back. It does help the defensive stats though.

There's a balance there all right and it's early days for this management team, but all this recent crap in the papers is no good for mayo football, who should realistically be looking at beating a tired Dublin team this year on the normal balance of things , they need to do it before Kerry rebuild again. Something similar again to Dublin's win in 1995, good enough at the right time in-between a couple of other good teams and I'd imagine that this mayo team would fall away if they did win it this year.

• Advertisement

In Mayos most recent AI finals they have scored 0-15 and 1-14 twice, those totals should be good enough to win any final if you are solid defensively.

Who ever plays in goal isn't better than Dublins no 1. Do Mayo have defenders in the full back line as good as McMahon or Cooper? O Sullivan,McCarthy and returning mccaffrey are more than a match for Mayo half back line.

Mayo have plenty of decent midfield options but were any of them as good as Fenton was the last two years?

I did say arguably.

You could just as easily say that Higgins, Keegan, Boyle, Durkan, Harrisson, Parsons would compete for a place on that Dublin team. They certainly would not be far off in my opinion.

I dont think McLoughlin, Doherty, Moran would be anywhere near the Dublin team. Aidan O'Sé wouldnt be either based on this year's displays. If I was Dublin manager, the only Mayo forward I would like to have is Diarmuid O'Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 koochie

He seems to have good sources alright, and probably knows more than he can disclose.
    But you must be related to one of the 'egos' (haha)

Stoner wrote: »
    Mayos issue is a standard enough one in football IMO. I've seen two Dublin teams with the same so called issues, not enough forwards but the "best halfback line in the country " etc . A lot of it is BS , back when you'd draw with Kerry or lose to Armagh by a point or back further to early 90's when the northern teams would beat us by a point or two.
    Thing is looking back we didn't have the best halfback line , we didn't have a team that played as a team. It's the same with mayo now IMO. Someone like Lee Keegan to me seems focused or over focused if you get me on making sure his man doesn't score. I get the impression that means too much to him to fit a healthy team ethic. I like everything I read from Lee himself, but to me it's a leadership issue from the individuals to the management. For example if what I hear about AOS from some mayo people I know is true, for me he's too big for the team imo.

I do however think that the selection issues that popped up this year might bring some reality to the situation.

While I agree that mayo could do with a forward or two, they could also do with some inspirational match winners in their backs and midfield, lads who can read a game better and manage the momentum of a game. Too many times AOS has been bunched for the last quarter. I've never seen mayo finish with their best team in the big games. Keegan should help the midfield out more imo instead of being glued to his man, he has it in him to step it up at crucial times in the game.

Plus if Mayo's current forwards spent less time defending and more time attacking it would make life harder for the backline. For example Gooch or B Brogan never put the defensive shift in that the mayo forwards, it allows them to be in the right place at the right time, I sometimes think that the right place for a mayo forwards to be is always no more than one play away from winning the ball back. It does help the defensive stats though.

There's a balance there all right and it's early days for this management team, but all this recent crap in the papers is no good for mayo football, who should realistically be looking at beating a tired Dublin team this year on the normal balance of things , they need to do it before Kerry rebuild again. Something similar again to Dublin's win in 1995, good enough at the right time in-between a couple of other good teams and I'd imagine that this mayo team would fall away if they did win it this year.

The reason the Mayo forwards have spent so much time defending is the perception that there's a soft centre in the Mayo defence that has been exposed in previous big encounters that needs to be plugged.The dogs on the street belief that Dublin at present are unbeatable if you go man to man against them.

Anybody got an update on Ger Cafferkey's rehabilitation?I saw him performing maor uisce duties for Ballina in a club match v Mitchels shortly after the All Ireland final replay.

TBH Stoner why should tiredness enter the equation for the Dublin team?They've played only a few more matches than the Mayo's and Kerry's of this world in the past couple of years.

There may be a mental fatigue but this team is highly motivated and have new players coming though with McCaffrey's return an added bonus.I'm only hoping they won't have quite the same ravenous hunger to win the All Ireland this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I did say arguably.

You could just as easily say that Higgins, Keegan, Boyle, Durkan, Harrisson, Parsons would compete for a place on that Dublin team. They certainly would not be far off in my opinion.

I dont think McLoughlin, Doherty, Moran would be anywhere near the Dublin team. Aidan O'Sé wouldnt be either based on this year's displays. If I was Dublin manager, the only Mayo forward I would like to have is Diarmuid O'Connor.

Keegan yes and Parsons maybe. Boyle,Higgins perhaps a year or two ago but not now when past their best. Durcan,Harrison just held down a starting spot on the Mayo senior team this year.

On form the Dublin half forward line is the strongest line in Ireland and Dublin have better scoring forwards on the bench than Diarmuid O Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Competition time folks.to be in with a chance to win one of the following great prizes just answer the following question.how many all Ireland's has the Mayo senior team won in the last 65 years.is it A none,B none or C none.Answers on a stamped addressed envelope to Mayo for Sam 2017,croke park,D3.First prize is a pair of Andy Moran dancing boots,Second prize is a used fiat punto once owned by the great Michael Jackson.bonnet signed by himself and Michael Jackson vest, also signed in marker included in the glove box.Third prize is a pair of genuine lee keegan boxing gloves.slightly torn.can be used for pulling lads back and hanging out of lads all day long.also great for proclaiming innocence towards referees although manufacturer cannot guarantee an innocent result with each use.Competition closes Christmas Eve.And as its Christmas a bonus prize has been added.A genuine C mc Donald turkey.comb is bleached white and this boy ain't to be messed with.heavily tattooed and kicks like a mule with both left and right feet.winners will be notified and must be able to collect prizes in mchale park.note,delivery charges may apply to both the punto and the turkey.Happy Christmas to ye all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Competition time folks.to be in with a chance to win one of the following great prizes just answer the following question.how many all Ireland's has the Mayo senior team won in the last 65 years.is it A none,B none or C none.Answers on a stamped addressed envelope to Mayo for Sam 2017,croke park,D3.First prize is a pair of Andy Moran dancing boots,Second prize is a used fiat punto once owned by the great Michael Jackson.bonnet signed by himself and Michael Jackson vest, also signed in marker included in the glove box.Third prize is a pair of genuine lee keegan boxing gloves.slightly torn.can be used for pulling lads back and hanging out of lads all day long.also great for proclaiming innocence towards referees although manufacturer cannot guarantee an innocent result with each use.Competition closes Christmas Eve.And as its Christmas a bonus prize has been added.A genuine C mc Donald turkey.comb is bleached white and this boy ain't to be messed with.heavily tattooed and kicks like a mule with both left and right feet.winners will be notified and must be able to collect prizes in mchale park.note,delivery charges may apply to both the punto and the turkey.Happy Christmas to ye all.

Great draw you got there.

Maybe you could buy your ass some punctuation lessons with the proceeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

You'd probably find the two sets of forwards work just as hard during games....cover the same amount of ground etc. The big difference for me is Dublin always seem more economical with their work. Cillian O' Connor never stops running when the opposition has the ball. Its admirable and very tough to play against but as you say eventually he does have to run back into position when Mayo get the ball. Andrews, Brogan, Rock will chase if the ball is in their zone or their man gets away but you'll never see Dublin without a forward option when they secure a turnover.

I think its true of some of the Mayo backs too. Colm Boyle will run through walls for you he's that committed but after 45 minutes in both games he had his hands in his head and looked visibly tired.

I think there's a calmness about Dublin that comes from winning. Its the biggest single factor in their extended dominance. All these one point wins, two point wins (never one point loses) etc don't come about because A has a marginally better left foot or B can run half a kilometre faster than the opposition. By comparison, Mayo, by virtue of all the close losses, can just get a bit desperate in trying to force the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

I know it was a 1 sided suggestion but if there is any substance to the notion that the o Sheas had any influence on match and squad selection, they have to be put in their place. I wouldn't accept that on a junior c club team never mind a senior intercounty team. The management should have total authority with regard to squad decisions.

Keegan yes and Parsons maybe. Boyle,Higgins perhaps a year or two ago but not now when past their best. Durcan,Harrison just held down a starting spot on the Mayo senior team this year.

On form the Dublin half forward line is the strongest line in Ireland and Dublin have better scoring forwards on the bench than Diarmuid O Connor.

If Dublin have such superior players to Mayo, how is it that Mayo have drawn with them twice in the past 2 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    There may be a mental fatigue but this team is highly motivated and have new players coming though with McCaffrey's return an added bonus.I'm only hoping they won't have quite the same ravenous hunger to win the All Ireland this year.

I agree, that's a better way of putting it.

Statistically it should be easier to beat a team going for two in a row, I'd imagine that three in a row will be less of a motivation for them since no 2 in a row was a stick to beat this team with. 2017 might be closer to 2012 in Dublin's mindset.

The other side of it from Mayo's perspective is that Kerry, Donegal, Tyrone all look less impressive than this time last year, for example mayo should beat Kerry this year, and let's face it, Mayo's barriers have been Kerry and Dublin.

If Dublin have such superior players to Mayo, how is it that Mayo have drawn with them twice in the past 2 years?

It's not that their players are miles ahead of Mayo as individuals, it's that they play as a team substantially better.

* Dublin have better players. Not by as much as some people think, but they have a glut of scoring forwards, something Mayo have a massive lack of.

* Dublin have a better management system. In the last 4 years, Dublin have had 3 SAMs, Mayo have had 3 management teams.

* Dublin are a team, Mayo's cohesiveness is a major talking point.

In 10 competitive games since 2013, Mayo have failed to win a single game against Dublin. They are simply being dominated. Some of the margins were tight, no question, but consistently coming out on the wrong side of competitive contests should set alarm bells off.

Jaden wrote: »
    Oh go on, I'll bite.

Cooper black carded about a minute later, the previous event clearly still on his mind.

Ah ffs.
    First off, how is a late dunt when the ball was dead, a game changing incident? If that is the case then how many 'game changing incidents' did AOS have perpetrated against him over the two games?

Secondly, he got his deserved yellow card for it.

Thirdly, cooper was rolling around like he had a serious back injury, yet jumped on the next ball and burst up the pitch on a solo run! - Any Dublin fan who is any ways honest will admit that there was little wrong with him and he was just making the most of it - which I don't hold against him by the way, our guy was daft.

Finally. There is no excuse for tripping someone on purpose. It is laughable to that you try to paint cooper as the victim there. He deserved his black card. He is responsible for his own actions.

It's not that their players are miles ahead of Mayo as individuals, it's that they play as a team substantially better.

* Dublin have better players. Not by as much as some people think, but they have a glut of scoring forwards, something Mayo have a massive lack of.

* Dublin have a better management system. In the last 4 years, Dublin have had 3 SAMs, Mayo have had 3 management teams.

In 10 competitive games since 2013, Mayo have failed to win a single game against Dublin. They are simply being dominated. Some of the margins were tight, no question, but consistently coming out on the wrong side of competitive contests should set alarm bells off.

Yes, I completely agree with all of that. I just wasn't very clear in getting my point across.

I still think the main difference between Mayo & Dublin is that Dublin have better forwards. Didnt realise they had played each other 10 times since 2013!

Y'see I knew you were going to respond like that. County coloured glasses on, blinkers up. The ref didn't miss anything when it came to us, sure we're no good at fouling. He gave us nothing, same every other ref. Only for Denis Bastick/Bertie Ahern/Oul Mr Brennan we would have won

Same ould excuses. Over and over. Have Mayo won once in their last 10 games against Dublin? :confused:

Well I just indicated where you did in fact get a massive call go your way - one that if awarded, changes the end result unquestionably. I mean how much more cut and dried to you want it?

I don't get this grandstanding from some Dublin fans. A bit rant and rave about 'things not going there way', throw in some nonsense exaggeration about bertie ahern for good measure - while blatantly ignoring points that prove this claim to be wholly wrong - and then expect to be taken seriously. It is like a guy trying to make enough noise and not stop shouting as to not let anyone else speak, while he carefully backs out of a room. I mean, do you take people for idiots or what? It is about as covert as a double decker bus.

Stop being so biased towards your own team all the time. Too many Dublin fans seem to be Dublin gaa people, rather than just gaa people. You are doing your own county a dis-service with this behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Well I just indicated where you did in fact get a massive call go your way - one that if awarded, changes the end result unquestionably. I mean how much more cut and dried to you want it?

I don't get this grandstanding from some Dublin fans. A bit rant and rave about 'things not going there way', throw in some nonsense exaggeration about bertie ahern for good measure - while blatantly ignoring points that prove this claim to be wholly wrong - and then expect to be taken seriously. It is like a guy trying to make enough noise and not stop shouting as to not let anyone else speak, while he carefully backs out of a room. I mean, do you take people for idiots or what? It is about as covert as a double decker bus.

Stop being so biased towards your own team all the time. Too many Dublin fans seem to be Dublin gaa people, rather than just gaa people.

Because its the same old same carry on, ignore the many decisions that went mayos way and then focus on one that would have "changed the game" for Mayo. You'll always get decisions for and against you in competitive finals. Mayo get off the hook with refs just as much as other big teams. But ignore that and think that Mayo would have won only for *insert excuse*. Repeat times ten since 2013 and never actually ask the hard question: why is it this team can't beat Dublin. Looks like some Mayo players prefer to make excuses too. Long may it continue BTW :D

Yes, I completely agree with all of that. I just wasn't very clear in getting my point across.

I still think the main difference between Mayo & Dublin is that Dublin have better forwards. Didnt realise they had played each other 10 times since 2013!

I'm inclined to agree with you. By good, I mean forwards who can put it where it counts with both feet. A large part of containing Aidan O'Shea for example, is that you just have to keep him on his weak side, and he can't shoot.

There is also the issue of the pressure to deliver the holy grail on Mayo in the last few years. I see Rochford as crucial to addressing this - but it's a hell of an ask, that is one huge monkey sitting on the backs of players.

Because its the same old same carry on, ignore the many decisions that went mayos way and then focus on one that would have "changed the game" for Mayo. You'll always get decisions for and against you in competitive finals. Mayo get off the hook with refs just as much as other big teams. But ignore that and think that Mayo would have won only for *insert excuse*. Repeat times ten since 2013 and never actually ask the hard question: why is it this team can't beat Dublin. Looks like some Mayo players prefer to make excuses too. Long may it continue BTW :D

But, again, you aren't offering any specific game changing decisions that went for mayo - which is what the conversation was about and which you were taking issue with. You just keep referencing the cliché about decisions going for and against you. While I agree that that in general, this point was about a specific game.

Funnily enough, I didn't hear many dub fans saying you will get decisions for and against you when Dublin lost in 2012. I didn't hear many Dublin fans stating same when Connolly got sent off in 2013. Can you explain that double standard please?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Robeman

If go go back and read the senarios then you will see what I will do in this situation.

One thing I will never do again is write on this Board. I will retire in shame.

On the other hand what will you do if once again next year this "ego" dominated panel wins nothing.

Will you reconsider you current views.

• Advertisement

Ah ffs. First off, how is a late dunt when the ball was dead, a game changing incident?

It was a straight red card offence. Mayo should have had 14 men on the pitch from there on. It was deliberate, unprovoked and dangerous. Setting out to flatten a guy who doesn't see you coming, for no reason, other than the fact that you can, is at the very, very least a black card, and well justifiable as a red.

You may disagree, that's OK. But Mayo got away with this, swings and roundabouts. Switch the colour of the Jerseys for this incident, and I could see the terms "Thuggish" and "Assault" being bandied about.
    Secondly, he got his deserved yellow card for it.
    He got away with a yellow.
    Thirdly, cooper was rolling around like he had a serious back injury, yet jumped on the next ball and burst up the pitch on a solo run! - Any Dublin fan who is any ways honest will admit that there was little wrong with him and he was just making the most of it - which I don't hold against him by the way, our guy was daft.

He was down for, I think nearly 4 minutes. Enough time to recover from the initial bang. But yeah, I thought it was odd they way he took off too, given how long he'd stayed down. I can only assume the sponge used by the Physio was wrapped in rosary beads from knock.
    Finally. There is no excuse for tripping someone on purpose. It is laughable to that you try to paint cooper as the victim there. He deserved his black card. He is responsible for his own actions.

Absolutely agreed, Coopers card was the correct call. I'm not excusing what he did, you misunderstand, I'm attempting to provide a context. Looking at specific incidents in isolation is sometimes not the most enlightening thing to do. I think it fair to conclude that getting flattened one moment in a game is going to affect your temperament, at least in the short term. But every player is responsible for marshalling himself in these situations. No-one else is accountable, the failing is his, and his alone.

This in no way whatsoever excuses or justifies his subsequent actions. It would have been unjust if he hadn't have walked.

It was a straight red card offence. Mayo should have had 14 men on the pitch from there on. It was deliberate, unprovoked and dangerous. Setting out to flatten a guy who doesn't see you coming, for no reason, other than the fact that you can, is at the very, very least a black card, and well justifiable as a red.

More grandstanding. It was a shoulder after the ball was gone - that isn't a red card in the rulebook.
    You may disagree, that's OK. But Mayo got away with this, swings and roundabouts. Switch the colour of the Jerseys for this incident, and I could see the terms "Thuggish" and "Assault" being bandied about.

The rulebook disagrees. You are trying to invent a rule here and attach buzzwords onto it for effect. I repeat, it was a yellow card offence in the rule book. Case closed.

He was down for, I think nearly 4 minutes. Enough time to recover from the initial bang. But yeah, I thought it was odd they way he took off too, given how long he'd stayed down. I can only assume the sponge used by the Physio was wrapped in rosary beads from knock.

Knock? Ravings. We can assume he was trying to get the guy in trouble by overplaying the incident and faking injury, he does this often. Again, I don't hold it against him, it was fair game.

Absolutely agreed, Coopers card was the correct call. I'm not excusing what he did, you misunderstand, I'm attempting to provide a context. Looking at specific incidents in isolation is sometimes not the most enlightening thing to do. I think it fair to conclude that getting flattened one moment in a game is going to affect your temperament, at least in the short term. But every player is responsible for marshalling himself in these situations. No-one else is accountable, the failing is his, and his alone.

This in no way whatsoever excuses or justifies his subsequent actions. It would have been unjust if he hadn't have walked.

But then I can point to James McCarthy blocking every run Doherty made up to this point as a factor in his actions also. He is a victim here too :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

The stuff some of you lads come out with is genuinely cringe-worthy.

km79 wrote: »

Three key facts ignored here

Under H & C mayo lost to the same "greatest ever" DUblin team after a replay. Only difference was that in Semi rather than final. So what exactly makes this year a stunning success and last year a complete disaster.

Brian Clough took over a very successful Leeds side which had won leagues \ cups under Don Revie. If Leeds were a confirmed team of serial losers his approach would have been fine coming from a successful manager.

Journalist also ignore fact that Holmes only mayo manager to have actually won a national title managing mayo since 1970.
    He also ignore fact that H & C also have an U21 title in the bag as managers.

He describes mayo team as "relatively successful" and ignore actual success of H & C.

H & C took over a team that had won nothing and did not butter them up by pretending otherwise. They told it as it was. The team had won nothing. If this got some players backs up it does seem to point to some false pride and I will say it again oversized "egos"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Doesn't this point only underline the points made by Holmes about Mayo players externalising the defeats and refusing to look at themselves? If the supporters and fans are doing likewise, there isn't much hope.

It is not just a Mayo thing. Think of all the hard luck stories, bad refereeing decisions etc. that afflicted Dublin from 1995 to 2011, when the reality was the players just weren't good enough.

Mayo aren't going to win an All-Ireland until their players and supporters stop whinging about referees and dirty opponents and instead turn their focus on to what they are doing themselves to change themselves, to improve players, to produce better players etc.

All valid points

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The stuff some of you lads come out with is genuinely cringe-worthy.

To be fair the only cringe worthy thing is  blaming forces outside of Mayos control for consistently losing.  It is not the reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Robeman wrote: »

If go go back and read the senarios then you will see what I will do in this situation.

One thing I will never do again is write on this Board. I will retire in shame.

On the other hand what will you do if once again next year this "ego" dominated panel wins nothing.

Will you reconsider you current views.
    I'm assuming what every Mayo person on the planet wants is for the team to actually win the fupping thing in our lifetime.....99.9999% of us couldn't give a flying fcuk how this is achieved....every team has big personalities (or egos if you prefer)...if the manager/managers can't deal with these and harness the talent then they need to move on and let someone else do the job.

Is Rochford the man for the job? The jury is still very much out at this point in time - obviously if we'd beaten Dublin or lost to the likes of Fermanagh then things would be a lot more clear cut.

The recent media circus (and the debate on here) is sad to witness imho - Holmes and Connelly coming out in the media now achieves absolutely nothing. Sure, I can appreciate their hurt/anger but their actions now are purely self-serving. It seems that some people would prefer to be proved right in their conspiracy theories rather than see the current team win.

2 more articles in the indo today
    Another from breheny
    And one from O Rourke attacking O Shea

How many is that now 5/6 in 2/3 days
    Ridiculous

Godge wrote: »
    Doesn't this point only underline the points made by Holmes about Mayo players externalising the defeats and refusing to look at themselves? If the supporters and fans are doing likewise, there isn't much hope.

No not really. I mean if the ref gets that right and everything else is the same, they win the all Ireland. So really and truly, how far wrong can they be? I don't believe that the players refuse to look at themselves. If they did, they wouldn't be getting near where they are getting. It just doesn't stack up. Im no players fanboy, but you have to look at it objectively and not take the word of either as gospel. When you do that, you see that what the two guys are claiming, simply doesn't reflect in reality.

It is not just a Mayo thing. Think of all the hard luck stories, bad refereeing decisions etc. that afflicted Dublin from 1995 to 2011, when the reality was the players just weren't good enough.

I don't know of any hard luck stories for Dublin in that period to be honest with you. They were generally beaten soundly when the loss came - like mayo throughout the 00s. Can you give any examples?
    However, the thing is you don't have to be the best team to win a trophy (Kerry 2014, Dublin 2011, Donegal 1992 etc). You just have to win on the day. Mayo came close to doing that a few times - Id argue done enough to do it, had the rules of the game been adjudicated more soundly. Surely that is a reasonable point and worthy of genuine discussion? Guys, generally fans from the opposing team, tend to knock that. But that doesn't mean they are right.

Mayo aren't going to win an All-Ireland until their players and supporters stop whinging about referees and dirty opponents and instead turn their focus on to what they are doing themselves to change themselves, to improve players, to produce better players etc.

Sorry, but the dubs whinge more than anyone when something doesn't go their way. 2012. The several Connolly incidents. Lee Keegan being, frankly, too good for their best player. It hasn't stopped them winning. Indeed tyrone before them, never stopped whinging in the 00s. Again, they won plenty.

kilns wrote: »
    To be fair the only cringe worthy thing is blaming forces outside of Mayos control for consistently losing. It is not the reason

Nobody claims it is the reason why we aren't the best team in the country, we are pointing out that we would have won a trophy - there is a difference there.

To be honest it is a fair observation for any objective gaa person. I think the way some Dublin fans seem to rage against this idea is what I find interesting. It seems to be down to an inability/unwillingness to give any other team any credit, if it means admitting that for a second, they weren't the better team or the best team or unmatched etc.

Like consider this - their opponents should have had a free in front of the posts for a nailed on technical foul in the last second of the game. Yet not one Dublin poster has been able to admit even a bit of luck on their part, or that their opponents were unlucky. I mean alarm bells should be ringing there man.
    It is a strange quirk. It is reminiscent of that group of insufferable man utd fans that tended to not know that much about the team, or indeed football, but rather just jumped on their success and could see nothing else but their own team.

I'm assuming what every Mayo person on the planet wants is for the team to actually win the fupping thing in our lifetime.....99.9999% of us couldn't give a flying fcuk how this is achieved....every team has big personalities (or egos if you prefer)...if the manager/managers can't deal with these and harness the talent then they need to move on and let someone else do the job.

Is Rochford the man for the job? The jury is still very much out at this point in time - obviously if we'd beaten Dublin or lost to the likes of Fermanagh then things would be a lot more clear cut.

The recent media circus (and the debate on here) is sad to witness imho - Holmes and Connelly coming out in the media now achieves absolutely nothing. Sure, I can appreciate their hurt/anger but their actions now are purely self-serving. It seems that some people would prefer to be proved right in their conspiracy theories rather than see the current team win.

Lee keegan is a big personality in my opinion but he is no "ego" There is a big difference. Otherwise I am with you 100% on the sentiment.

SR has to man up this year and take some hard decisions that he will carry the can for. Absolutely nothing to be gained from changing him 2017 and 2018 (just as nothing was gained from changing H & C).

The whole point of this media circus is to get rid of the "Egos" who held back H & C last year and SR this year in delivering an All Ireland. It is also to make sure that the "outside influences" who have been detrimental to Mayo football this past 5\6 years are pushed outseide and stay there. These "outside influences are probably more harmful to mayo football than the "egos" as without them they would not have become so inflated.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement