Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Who cares whether he was considering retirement a year ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Stoner wrote: »
    It was more than that and you know it.
    He could easily have walked for it and you'd all be mad with him for doing something that got him sent off in front of the officials.
    He was lucky to stay on but that's all we can say about it or its potential outcome, but it was more than a shoulder off the ball, that suggests a late tackle.

Never in the history of the game has someone been given a straight red card for shouldering someone after the ball had gone. So in short, no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKMaSklf95o

Here is the game. Have a look around the 45 minute mark. Doherty runs in after the goal is scored to stop the ball coming out for the quick kickout. Cooper grabs the ball ahead of him. Doherty collides into him at around quarter pace. Cooper jumps down on the ground, first holding his face, then getting treated for his back. Then around 90 seconds later he is up, still acting groggy, and 10 seconds later receives the kickout and amazingly jumps into life and hares off up the field.
    If anything, what the exchange suggests is that he annoyed the ref with his over-egging the supposed injury and got no leeway with the black card call.

After watching it back, I must say well done to the ref on this incident. He might have gotten a few calls wrong but that one he adjudicated perfectly.

No, he quit but was persuaded to come back.
    At the time I thought it was maybe over distaste at what happened to H&C, but with all that has come out, who knows?

It's amazing Mayo got as far as they did this year, considering all the drama that was going on.

Nonsense. The tweet was done by his club team mates as a joke. There was a picture posted of them on a team bus a few hours afterwards kitted out in xmas jumpers and with the mayo intermediate championship trophy.

Also, this tweet went out in 2014, - Holmes and Connelly managed them in 2015...

People shouldn't be so gullible as to be biting for these clear attempts at winding mayo posters up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Here is the game. Have a look around the 45 minute mark. Doherty runs in after the goal is scored to stop the ball coming out for the quick kickout. Cooper grabs the ball ahead of him. Doherty collides into him at around quarter pace. Cooper jumps down on the ground, first holding his face, then getting treated for his back. Then around 90 seconds later he is up, still acting groggy, and 10 seconds later receives the kickout and amazingly jumps into life and hares off up the field.
    If anything, what the exchange suggests is that he annoyed the ref with his over-egging the supposed injury and got no leeway with the black card call.

After watching it back, I must say well done to the ref on this incident. He might have gotten a few calls wrong but that one he adjudicated perfectly.

This is possibly one of the most overt attempts at revisionism I have ever seen. Had you not specifically mentioned Cooper's name, it would have been difficult to conclude that you were describing the incident that occurred in that game.

It goes without saying that this renders any discussion being had here as meaningless, and devoid of purpose or merit.

Merry Christmas.

Jaden wrote: »
    This is possibly one of the most overt attempts at revisionism I have ever seen. Had you not specifically mentioned Cooper's name, it would have been difficult to conclude that you were describing the incident that occurred in that game.

It goes without saying that this renders any discussion being had here as meaningless, and devoid of purpose or merit.

Merry Christmas.

That is what happened in the clip, so that is what I will comment on. Other people's biased rhetoric isn't something I will be tiptoeing around Im afraid.

Id imagine you didn't even watch the clip back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Robeman

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Robeman;102034218

The "outside influences" would have a meeting with the "egos" 

I don't want to sound snarky, but could you please enlighten us as to who or what 'outside influences' you're referring to?

You're seemingly a lot closer to the issue than the rest of us on here so it would be helpful if you stopped talking in riddles and muddying the waters

Mine was a fictional tale. On the other hand "outside influences" was mentioned in Indo articles. Western People advised "reading between the lines" which you really need to do.

There are not that many names mentioned in the articles but there are a few that stand out and fall into a different subset.

The "outside influences" were not specifically named in article I assume because of legal advice. I don't intend to name them either because I don't wish to place Boards.ie in any difficult situation.

If you have any contact in wider Mayo GAA community you can easity learn more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

That is what happened in the clip, so that is what I will comment on. Other people's biased rhetoric isn't something I will be tiptoeing around Im afraid.

Id imagine you didn't even watch the clip back.

Don't forget to watch the clip at22 05 when the Dublin lad shoved the mayo lad and it should have been a free but wasn't bla bla bla bla

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Nonsense. The tweet was done by his club team mates as a joke. There was a picture posted of them on a team bus a few hours afterwards kitted out in xmas jumpers and with the mayo intermediate championship trophy.

Also, this tweet went out in 2014, - Holmes and Connelly managed them in 2015...

People shouldn't be so gullible as to be biting for these clear attempts at winding mayo posters up.

I referred to 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Robeman

Happy Christmas to all ("Ego" , Non "Ego" , Pro "Ego" and Anti "Ego")

I will return after the league is lost.

Regards

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Don't forget to watch the clip at22 05 when the Dublin lad shoved the mayo lad and it should have been a free but wasn't bla bla bla bla

The details of what occurred in a certain incident were debated. I provided evidence to point out that the majority of these versions were indeed wrong - t was neither a black nor red card; both of which were claimed. If you aren't interested you don't have to get involved.

• Advertisement

I referred to 2016

Provide evidence of this tweet, and when you claim it occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

seligehgit wrote: »
    OK I personally most certainly did not hear that.I am not sure what there's to be gained by revealing what may have been a personal decision by Keith Higgins and where there may not have been any ulterior motive.TBH I believe that us keyboard warriors do not need nor deserve to know all the interior dynamics of the Mayo setup.Leaks like the goalkeeper switch on the morning of the All Ireland should not be occurring.
    Just on the interior dynamics there.

I was sat beside a friend of Peter Burke's for the replay and as we were discussing the goalkeeping switch before throw-in, I was joking that he would have got the inside track during the week.

He looked at me as if I had two heads.

Burke's brief from Rochford is to get the two keepers match ready as regards their skills.
    He has zero input into their physical preparation.

Rochford and his selection team then pick the team based on game time-his theory being that if feels the need to make a change, he has a seamless option available.

In theory.

I thought it was an interesting insight into how a member of the backroom team can appear to be important but yet so detached from the nitty gritty.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭boosabum

Padd,

Its interesting that you say that as the rumour mill had it that the goalkeeping coach was working hard to convince the management team that a change was not in the best interests. Maybe PB kept his council to his friends but they was consultation

Provide evidence of this tweet, and when you claim it occurred.

When did I mention a tweet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

boosabum wrote: »
    Padd,

Its interesting that you say that as the rumour mill had it that the goalkeeping coach was working hard to convince the management team that a change was not in the best interests. Maybe PB kept his council to his friends but they was consultation

Oh fair enough, it did make his position borderline untenable if feedback was discouraged or ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

On Aidan- he has flattered to deceive for the last few years now which is a real pity but it's hard to miss the fact that he looks distracted a lot of time and seems too interested in cultivating his own self image.

I guess in some ways its a tough one- players need to manage their careers and profile so that they can angle for something out of it on a professional level and I'd imagine that Aidan has his eyes on being a pundit/TV personality. He is perfectly entitled to do this on a personal level but it is likely to have a detrimental impact on his (and most people's game concentration)- but fans dont see it like that- they want to win and Aidan hasn't proved, as yet, to be a winner or to be able to perform on the big day

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Oh fair enough, it did make his position borderline untenable if feedback was discouraged or ignored.

hence the promotion i think, it was a very unenviable position for him to be in as a coach

On Aidan- he has flattered to deceive for the last few years now which is a real pity but it's hard to miss the fact that he looks distracted a lot of time and seems too interested in cultivating his own self image.

I guess in some ways its a tough one- players need to manage their careers and profile so that they can angle for something out of it on a professional level and I'd imagine that Aidan has his eyes on being a pundit/TV personality. He is perfectly entitled to do this on a personal level but it is likely to have a detrimental impact on his (and most people's game concentration)- but fans dont see it like that- they want to win and Aidan hasn't proved, as yet, to be a winner or to be able to perform on the big day

I have seen a lot of him especially at club level and for me it's more of a lack of a ruthless streak which is the worry.
    The guy has so many attributes and should concentrate on being the best for himself.
    Too often he can be made a peripheral figure in games even at club level whereby players try to negate his strength and power.
    He should be getting the retaliation in first and laying down a marker, driving his teams on.
    4 all ireland final appearances and not one of them stand out in terms of being an effective leader. This needs to change or opinions (rightly or wrongly) of the guy not being up to it won't.

When did I mention a tweet?

I thought you had.

So you have nothing to prove any of this at all then? Hardly expect to be taken seriously do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

No we cant.
    Repeat it all you want. It isn't the case.

I can't see how you can be so sure, there's lots of evidence to suggest otherwise

• Advertisement

I thought you had.

So you have nothing to prove any of this at all then? Hardly expect to be taken seriously do you?

It's true.
    Couldn't care less if you believe me or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

It's true.
    Couldn't care less if you believe me or not.

Its not. You're lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭charlie1980

I think there is a very strong case for the O'Sheas to be dropped,let them suck it up on the bench and prove themselves as impact subs.If they don't like it or play ball,they should be told where the door is.Dillon and Hennelly should be dispatched from the panel asap,no point having them hang around like a bad smell.

Rochford has a great opportunity to take complete and utter control and rule with an iron fist,it's what great managers do.Anything less would be craven and end in another sad story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I wonder what would Jim mcguiness do if he was the Mayo manager.... My guess is Aidan o Shea would get the road..... Similar to Cassidy... And anyone else who had an unjustified high opinion of themselves as footballers would quickly follow suit...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

Who was the player Aidan O Shea was complaining about, about not being in the match panel 26?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ammc

rrs wrote: »
    Who was the player Aidan O Shea was complaining about, about not being in the match panel 26?

The more I hear about Aidan O'Shea, I'm beginning to think that in The Toughest Trade they should have swapped him with a soccer player from the Dutch national team, renowned for their sulking, moaning and infighting.

I think Rochford needs a purge; not of players but of attitudes, which is what H & C have been advocating

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I wonder what would Jim mcguiness do if he was the Mayo manager.... My guess is Aidan o Shea would get the road..... Similar to Cassidy... And anyone else who had an unjustified high opinion of themselves as footballers would quickly follow suit...!

Mc Guinness kicked Cassidy to touch after them reaching a semi 2011 and Cassidy being probably there outstanding player that year. Especially after the quarter final that year and his point to beat Kildare in extra time he was God to the Donegal fans.
    The world and it`s mother said Donegal would win nothing without him and that the manner he was dealt with would have the rest of the squad rebelling against Mc Guiness`s especially his three best friends on the team who were as close as peas in a pod.
    Donegal won Sam 2012.

I think there is a very strong case for the O'Sheas to be dropped,let them suck it up on the bench and prove themselves as impact subs.If they don't like it or play ball,they should be told where the door is.Dillon and Hennelly should be dispatched from the panel asap,no point having them hang around like a bad smell.

Rochford has a great opportunity to take complete and utter control and rule with an iron fist,it's what great managers do.Anything less would be craven and end in another sad story.

I think it can be taken as gospel that everyone sees through your, frankly, pretty bog-standard attempts to wind people up.

Although you are obviously a fan of idle talk. Maybe you could explain Eoghan O'Gara's outburst at the banquet in October and subsequent absence from the Mansion house and Smithfield for the homecoming celebrations? You would have thought the rest of his squad and indeed his management team would have had a bit of backbone to do something about it? He has since been talking about next year. Obviously gavin wasn't man enough to drop him from the squad, or maybe he didn't have the say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

No not really. I mean if the ref gets that right and everything else is the same, they win the all Ireland. So really and truly, how far wrong can they be? I don't believe that the players refuse to look at themselves. If they did, they wouldn't be getting near where they are getting. It just doesn't stack up. Im no players fanboy, but you have to look at it objectively and not take the word of either as gospel. When you do that, you see that what the two guys are claiming, simply doesn't reflect in reality.

I don't know of any hard luck stories for Dublin in that period to be honest with you. They were generally beaten soundly when the loss came - like mayo throughout the 00s. Can you give any examples?
    However, the thing is you don't have to be the best team to win a trophy (Kerry 2014, Dublin 2011, Donegal 1992 etc). You just have to win on the day. Mayo came close to doing that a few times - Id argue done enough to do it, had the rules of the game been adjudicated more soundly. Surely that is a reasonable point and worthy of genuine discussion? Guys, generally fans from the opposing team, tend to knock that. But that doesn't mean they are right.

Sorry, but the dubs whinge more than anyone when something doesn't go their way. 2012. The several Connolly incidents. Lee Keegan being, frankly, too good for their best player. It hasn't stopped them winning. Indeed tyrone before them, never stopped whinging in the 00s. Again, they won plenty.

This post should be bookmarked and taken out again next year when Mayo lose out again.

Unless Mayo stop blaming referees and outside influences, they are never going to win an All-Ireland.

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »
    This post should be bookmarked and taken out again next year when Mayo lose out again.

Unless Mayo stop blaming referees and outside influences, they are never going to win an All-Ireland.

If mayo lose out again, it will be because they will have lost out to a better team again...

It is the equivalent of people lampooning Atletico Madrid, because they cant seem to get past Real or Barca in a final... In other words; painfully un-informed and borderline idiotic.

But you keep telling yourself what you like. It isn't my concern.

A good interview with Eugene MacHale,a former Mayo footballer in today's Indo.

Sadly,Eugene sums up what a lot of Mayo people feel about the cabal of certain players that exist in the county football setup.

A good interview with Eugene MacHale,a former Mayo footballer in today's Indo.

Sadly,Eugene sums up what a lot of Mayo people feel about the cabal of certain players that exist in the county football setup.

Actually no, he is the only guy that the indo has managed to find who has any ways agreed with any part of their stance. Only took a week... You would wonder how many told them where to go when they had to talk to a guy who most people wouldn't even have heard of... That would suggest the exact opposite of what you claim.

I suppose he would be well up on the matter, having played for mayo over 30 years ago and living in donegal... The indo done well to even remember him, although it is kinda depressing to be honest - cold calling auld lads and cherry picking quotes from them for their own ends. When you have to do that, you know you are beaten, but I suppose they cant go back now. But then that is what the paper has become.

I particularly like this quote from Eugene.

I am angry and disgusted at the way they were treated by certain players that would not lace their boots.

Fair play Eugene,a proud Mayo man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Fair play to the lads doing that gig in Mayo University Hospital every Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Probably get a few more followers on twitter the egotistical bunch of drop-kicks!!

Brady fears a divided Mayo

It's a very good point made by David,the pressure has been ramped up on this Mayo group for 2017.Can Rochford keep a lid on it and keep a unified and loyal group?Will their be leaks from players to the media?This issue is going to haunt them unless they win Sam.

There is no doubt about it,Holmes and Connelly have detonated a bomb that is causing consternation within the county.Surely a public statement from Rochford is required to steady the ship.Interesting times for Mayo football.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

2017 Fixtures

Senior

FBD League Section A

ROUND 1: Mayo v NUIG (Sunday 8th January, 2pm, venue TBC)

ROUND 2: Mayo v IT Sligo (Sunday 15th January, 2pm, venue TBC)

ROUND 3: Roscommon v Mayo (Sunday 22nd January, venue TBC)

FINAL: Section A winners v Section B winners (Sunday 29th January, venue TBC)

NFL Division One

ROUND 1: Mayo v Monaghan (Saturday, 4th February, McHale Park, 7pm)

ROUND 2: Kerry v Mayo (Saturday 11th February, Austin Stack Park, Tralee, 7pm)

ROUND 3: Mayo v Roscommon (Saturday 25th February, McHale Park, 7pm)

ROUND 4: Dublin v Mayo (Saturday 4th March, Croke Park, 7pm)

ROUND 5: Mayo v Cavan (Sunday 19th March, McHale Park, 2pm)

ROUND 6: Tyrone v Mayo (Sunday 26th March,Healy Park, Omagh, 3pm)

ROUND 7: Mayo v Donegal (Sunday 2nd April, McHale Park, 3pm)

FINAL: Fixed for Sunday 9th April

Connacht SFC Championship

QUARTER-FINAL: Mayo v Sligo or New York (Sunday 21st May, McHale Park, throw-in time TBC)

SEMI-FINAL: Galway v Mayo/Sligo/New York (Sunday 11th June, Pearse Stadium, throw-in time TBC)

FINAL: Fixed for Sunday 9th July

UNDER 21 Connacht Championship

SEMI-FINAL: Leitrim/Galway v Mayo (Wednesday 22nd March or Saturday 25th March, venue and time TBC)

FINAL: Fixed for Saturday 1st April

MINOR Connacht Championship

QUARTER-FINAL: Mayo v Galway (McHale Park, Saturday 29th April, time TBC)

SEMI-FINAL: Mayo/Galway v Roscommon (Wednesday 28th June, venue and time TBC)

FINAL: Fixed for Sunday 9th July

UNDER 17 Connacht Championship

QUARTER-FINAL: Mayo v Sligo (McHale Park, Sunday 21st May, time TBC)

SEMI-FINAL: Galway v Mayo/Sligo (Pearse Stadium, Sunday 11th June, time TBC)

FINAL: Fixed for Saturday 8th July

JUNIOR Connacht JFC Championship

SEMI-FINALS: Fixed for Wednesday 3rd May (fixtures, venues and dates TBC)

FINAL: Fixed for Wednesday 17th May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Brady fears a divided Mayo

It's a very good point made by David,the pressure has been ramped up on this Mayo group for 2017.Can Rochford keep a lid on it and keep a unified and loyal group?Will their be leaks from players to the media?This issue is going to haunt them unless they win Sam.

There is no doubt about it,Holmes and Connelly have detonated a bomb that is causing consternation within the county.Surely a public statement from Rochford is required to steady the ship.Interesting times for Mayo football.

They are under no more pressure than they were in 2016.

In 2016 they had to prove a lot more than they have to in 2017.

No Mayo player or manager has to give any statement about anything to anyone.

• Advertisement

mayo.mick wrote: »
    C0SW7aMXAAE5E6Y.jpg
    They are under no more pressure than they were in 2016.

In 2016 they had to prove a lot more than they have to in 2017.

No Mayo player or manager has to give any statement about anything to anyone.

I don't accept that analysis,as Brady alluded to,there is a real possibility of split.The cabal of certain players are under severe pressure now,they can not avoid it.They are losing credibility the longer the story continues.The more moderate thinking players can only put up with so much before they break ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

I think it can be taken as gospel that everyone sees through your, frankly, pretty bog-standard attempts to wind people up.

Although you are obviously a fan of idle talk. Maybe you could explain Eoghan O'Gara's outburst at the banquet in October and subsequent absence from the Mansion house and Smithfield for the homecoming celebrations? You would have thought the rest of his squad and indeed his management team would have had a bit of backbone to do something about it? He has since been talking about next year. Obviously gavin wasn't man enough to drop him from the squad, or maybe he didn't have the say?

Which you clearly aren't :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

cold calling auld lads and cherry picking quotes from them for their own ends .

I assume you have proof of this as you are so quick to demand proof from others making statements here, the original transcripts of the convo will do nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I've spoken to a few former players this week and they thought H and C had every right to give their side of the story.

One even said he'd like to give a couple current players a shoe in the hole!

It'll make for an interesting year for sure.

Tbf,Mayo folk are not stupid.They do not buy the narrative pedled by the Mayo news,their podcasts or the theocrat that runs the Mayo blog where only one view is allowed.
    To quote Jack Nicholson

you can not handle the truth

James Horan did everything to get rid of that attitude but old habits die hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Will someone take Charlie back to the Dublin gaa discussion thread . Only appearance on this page or site is since the all Ireland final . Nothing else posted before the all Ireland final .
    Tod why are you fuelling his entertainment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the interview, I see no point in Mayo management making a statement to respond to it. What purpose would that serve??

Just like every inter-county manager, Rochford should pick what he thinks is the best squad available to him. I don't see how the h&c interview changes this and what he could say in an interview to help this.

Mayo is a county which has drowned in self-pity for the last 20 years.Instead of players like Aid an O'Shea wanting to be a minor celebrity,he and a few others who have failed to deliver on the big day should put all their energy into their own performance.That is what football is about.They have the cart before the horse.Everything follows from winning.

Colm O'Rourke

I don't know if it's the true picture but there's an attitude about Mayo players-and I don't want to come across as nasty,but you get this vibe through the grapevine-I don't know is it cocky or what is it.They have this chip on their shoulder still and they're bullish about what people say and think about them.

Tomas O SE

Great stuff from the two lads and a lot of Mayo folk are in agreement with those sentiments.Rochford needs to get a grip on things now,deal with the issue of said cabal of players ,ruthlessly for the good of Mayo football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Mayo is a county which has drowned in self-pity for the last 20 years.Instead of players like Aid an O'Shea wanting to be a minor celebrity,he and a few others who have failed to deliver on the big day should put all their energy into their own performance.That is what football is about.They have the cart before the horse.Everything follows from winning.

Colm O'Rourke

I don't know if it's the true picture but there's an attitude about Mayo players-and I don't want to come across as nasty,but you get this vibe through the grapevine-I don't know is it cocky or what is it.They have this chip on their shoulder still and they're bullish about what people say and think about them.

Tomas O SE

Great stuff from the two lads and a lot of Mayo folk are in agreement with those sentiments.Rochford needs to get a grip on things now,deal with the issue of said cabal of players ,ruthlessly for the good of Mayo football.
    Would you ever eff off and have a Merry Christmas for yourself. Good man.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement