Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭charlie1980

Kalyke wrote: »
    Would you ever eff off and have a Merry Christmas for yourself. Good man.

Charming!

I take it you disagree,would you care to expand on your point?

Btw season greetings to you sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Charming!

I should have put a smiley at the end of my post.....:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

Rochford has to show who is boss in 2017. Horan dropped Mortimer. If needs be, O Shea and whoever else should be dropped too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

rrs wrote: »
    Rochford has to show who is boss in 2017. Horan dropped Mortimer. If needs be, O Shea and whoever else should be dropped too.

Hypothetical stuff there.

He tried to show who is boss in October and cost them the All Ireland to be fair.

Charming!

In fairness............69 Boards Posts.........52 directly related to Mayo (yes, I did take 2 minutes to count!)

Unless you have a few accounts, one of which you use to talk about your own county, that is mental obsession!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

Yes he did ,but the after the outburst by H & C it might make Rockford think twice ,of it happening again.

Merry Christmas

rrs wrote: »
    Yes he did ,but the after the outburst by H & C it might make Rockford think twice ,of it happening again.

Merry Christmas

Thats fair enough, I misinterpreted that you were saying he was afraid to make bold choices during last campaign. I get what you are saying now. Although if anything, it will make it easier for him to stand on his own two feet now that it is common knowledge that players stepped over the mark over last couple of years.

In fairness............69 Boards Posts.........52 directly related to Mayo (yes, I did take 2 minutes to count!)

Unless you have a few accounts, one of which you use to talk about your own county, that is mental obsession!! :D

So?THe majority of my posts are about Mayo GAA,what of it?

You my friend have made nearly 9000 posts since July 2015 and is talking about mental obsession,you are having a giraffe!

You are playing the man and not the ball.May I suggest you adhere to the substantiative issues of the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

You my friend have made nearly 9000 posts since July 2015 and is talking about mental obsession,you are having a giraffe!

You are playing the man and not the ball.May I suggest you adhere to the substantiative issues of the debate.

It's a little odd for a Dub do you not thnk?

• Advertisement

eh..............I think you are missing the point of what I said here.................. You are a Dub fan (supposedly) but the vast vast vast majority of your posts concern Mayo..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Happy Christmas lads and lassies

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

eh..............I think you are missing the point of what I said here.................. You are a Dub fan (supposedly) but the vast vast vast majority of your posts concern Mayo..........

Mayo provide far more entertainment than Dublin.
    It's like a sitcom.
    Or one of those bloopers shows.

Mayo provide far more entertainment than Dublin.
    It's like a sitcom.
    Or one of those bloopers shows.

Ha, it is quite tragicomedyesque in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Ha, it is quite tragicomedyesque in fairness!

Tune in next year to once again watch our heroes snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Wooohoo!! Santa got me an ignore button for Christmas! There really is a Santa!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Kalyke wrote:
    Wooohoo!! Santa got me an ignore button for Christmas! There really is a Santa!!

Ask him for Sam next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Delighted Clarke got the All Star and retired, he deserved better from teammates.

Sorry to ruin Xmas for you
    http://shannonside.ie/mayos-david-clarke-looking-forward-to-2017-season/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

We're more than capable of slagging ourselves without outside assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ammc

We're more than capable of slagging ourselves without outside assistance.

The Beer Hall Putsch as described by Martin Breheny 'As supporters left Croke Park, mulling over the misery of yet another failed campaign, they had no idea of the drama that was about to unfold.
    The majority of Mayo players remained in Dublin that night and, as the inquest continued, a heave against the Pat Holmes/Noel Connelly management team was first mooted by a few players.'

Rochford should impose a drinks ban for 2017!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

ammc wrote: »
    The Beer Hall Putsch as described by Martin Breheny 'As supporters left Croke Park, mulling over the misery of yet another failed campaign, they had no idea of the drama that was about to unfold.
    The majority of Mayo players remained in Dublin that night and, as the inquest continued, a heave against the Pat Holmes/Noel Connelly management team was first mooted by a few players.'

Rochford should impose a drinks ban for 2017!

Brehony has a transparent hatred and envy for Mayo that permeates every article that he writes. 'Misery of another failed campaign'. Being beaten in a semi-final after a replay is the kind of failed campaign that 30 other counties would take. The joy of football is in following the championship journey of your team so the misery is well tempered by memories of many more good days than bad for Mayo supporters.

I'll happily think back to Salthill in 2013 if the misery ever starts to descend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Panrich wrote: »
    Brehony has a transparent hatred and envy for Mayo that permeates every article that he writes. 'Misery of another failed campaign'. Being beaten in a semi-final after a replay is the kind of failed campaign that 30 other counties would take. The joy of football is in following the championship journey of your team so the misery is well tempered by memories of many more good days than bad for Mayo supporters.

I'll happily think back to Salthill in 2013 if the misery ever starts to descend.

Well exactly.

Even though an All Ireland has not been won at senior level we have been living through a phenomenal period of success and consistency in Mayo since 2011.

5 Connacht titles
    6 All Ireland SFs
    2 All Ireland SF replays
    3 All Ireland finals
    1 All Ireland final replay.

As a kid in the 80s I went to CP 4 times.

'81
    '85 x 2
    '88

Folks in the 70s never even got to CP.

That's not to mention the minor and U 21 wins.

So the likes of Brehaney et all. can ponder about our misery but I look forward to 2017 and another right good go at it.

Injuries and suspensions aside I think this team is again good enough to get to a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Well exactly.

Even though an All Ireland has not been won at senior level we have been living through a phenomenal period of success and consistency in Mayo since 2011.

5 Connacht titles
    6 All Ireland SFs
    2 All Ireland SF replays
    3 All Ireland finals
    1 All Ireland final replay.

As a kid in the 80s I went to CP 4 times.

'81
    '85 x 2
    '88

Folks in the 70s never even got to CP.

That's not to mention the minor and U 21 wins.

So the likes of Brehaney et all. can ponder about our misery but I look forward to 2017 and another right good go at it.

Injuries and suspensions aside I think this team is again good enough to get to a final.

I look forward to your predictions for 2017 in your annual championship thread Fr Tod!:)

seligehgit wrote: »
    I look forward to your predictions for 2017 in your annual championship thread Fr Tod!:)

After the league is a good time for that, teams have a bit of form, or lack of it, and the media will have someone overrated and someone underrated based on their league performance.

But from a Mayo POV I think another final is well within their reach.

The other two, you know who I an talking about, really did fail to deliver last year when push came to shove, at the end of the day they were terrible.

I'd say they have gone backwards actually.

Mayo have a trip to Galway but they should be winning that, showing us that last year was an off day.

I think Connacht champs play an A side qualifier in the QF which again should be someone beatable.

And then its a likely SF v a rebuilding Kerry.
    Kerry have had a few retirements, and some older guys who have not retired but will probably still feature.

An on song Mayo should be well capable of beating they.

And then you are in a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ulysess31

I'm not from mayo however I'd value the insight I know posters could give here.

There's a certain amount of crossover between Gaa and politics in mayo. Because of their age profile footballers don't much care about this.

Its been a mutually beneficial relationship. Expenses got paid, players got jobs, facilities were built. A lot of good work done in fairness by A lot of people in the county. Everything but an all Ireland was delivered.

Is this political gaa connection is correct or even relevant.
    I vaguely appreciate that you could probably hang everything one thing, like Marxists with economics, but is it a factor.
    I also acknowledge that there are other factors like the media, the club game, other sports, personalities etc etc

Apparently Ger Caff has privately told Breheny that he supports Holmes and Connelly but he will not go on record.

sadly for Mayo football,this story is going to run and run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Apparently Ger Caff has privately told Breheny that he supports Holmes and Connelly but he will not go on record.

Well 7 players did vote to keep them and the number is probably higher than that in reality as you'd imagine some of the younger players just went with the flow at the time but probably had no major grievances against H&C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

You are getting desperate now...

'Why arent these thick culchie boggers falling for my ingenious wind up material?'

Its not our fault that your mot fancies aidan o'shea man

Sadly, for you, you seem more obsessed with Mayo and Holmes and Connolly than the average Mayo fan!

Keep googling Mayo GAA every couple of hours though and keep us all updated on all the developments of the saga

giphy.gif

Pity Keegan went on the record about voting for H&C when the story first broke in Oct 2015

Look how it work out for him.

Keep trying Charlie.

Well 7 players did vote to keep them and the number is probably higher than that in reality as you'd imagine some of the younger players just went with the flow at the time but probably had no major grievances against H&C.

Absolutely,Tom Cunniffe has publically stated he regretted the heave even though he voted for H&C to be discarded.It is very likely that Tom wil not be the last to go public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Absolutely,Tom Cunniffe has publically stated he regretted the heave even though he voted for H&C to be discarded.It is very likely that Tom wil not be the last to go public.

It's clear there were players who didn't agree with it. However, you have that in every county - there is never universal approval for a manager amongst the players. Player 1 will like a manager while player 2 will not.

Tom Cunniffe probably went public on his stance because he's not involved in the county set-up any more. I would very much doubt players currently involved would come talk any more about this publicly.

There are very clear divisions in Mayo football; within the county panel, between county players and county board, between county players and club players. However, the story regarding the H &C heave will be more and more irrelevant as next year moves on.

He has stated he regretted how things went afterwards. He has never stated he regretted his vote. Im sure the entire squad regret how things went afterwards, considering that they tried to keep the entire thing out of the public eye and allow the lads to stand down gracefully.

So you can rest easy charlie...

There are very clear divisions in Mayo football; within the county panel, between county players and county board, between county players and club players. However, the story regarding the H &C heave will be more and more irrelevant as next year moves on.

The only division you have suggested that I would agree or have actually seen evidence of is between the players and the county board. Hence their wanting an equal say in manager selection - the players dont trust the co board, and they are probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Excellent to have Caff back especially with McLoughlin playing as a sweep in front of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I thought Matthew Ruane might be given an opportunity,I seem to recall he was injured?

Ditto Matthew Flanagan got game time in the FBD league last year.

Ah I now see Rory Byrne has been drafted in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Happy New Year ye fellow mad Mayo heads. Our year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Happy New Year ye fellow mad Mayo heads. Our year

Fact
    Up mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

mayo.mick wrote: »

How old is liam Irwin? Saw him play for breaffy a few times last year and he impressed me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

How old is liam Irwin? Saw him play for breaffy a few times last year and he impressed me

He was on the u21 team last year so 22 this year

Can anyone confirm that the Mayo panel met over the xmas to specifically discuss the Holmes and Connelly debacle.
    There is a rumour that Breheny has got the scoop from an unnamed source within the Mayo set up.

Can anyone confirm that the Mayo panel met over the xmas to specifically discuss the Holmes and Connelly debacle.
    There is a rumour that Breheny has got the scoop from an unnamed source within the Mayo set up.

:D:D

Charlie, I assume you are pushing 37 this year going by the "1980", time to move on with your life!

:D:D

Charlie, I assume you are pushing 37 this year going by the "1980", time to move on with your life!

Whow I post and you are straight in 3 minutes later.You are hilarious mate.

• Advertisement

Whow I post and you are straight in 3 minutes later.You are hilarious mate.

thread updates come straight away on boards......... If you want, I will give it a few hours next time to laugh at your inevitably next obsessed post when I see it........;)

thread updates come straight away on boards......... If you want, I will give it a few hours next time to laugh at your inevitably next obsessed post when I see it........;)

you are the one with over 9000 posts and counting.If you dont like my posts ?dont read them.I have reduced you to abusive posts,never good my friend.I will not be engaging with you again.Happy new year!

you are the one with over 9000 posts and counting.If you dont like my posts ?dont read them.I have reduced you to abusive posts,never good my friend.I will not be engaging with you again.Happy new year!

Mine aren't abusive! Mine are mocking you and your posts! I am not afraid to say that! Not one person is engaging with your posts in a serious manner so you should perhaps get the message that your wind up merchantry is pretty poor and pointless at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Liam Irwin could be a good addition, if he knuckles down to it. He has no pace though, which we are already lacking in the ff line tbh.

Good to see Neil Douglas get another go at it. He needs more than FBD game time though if we're really going to see what he's about at this level and if he can cut it.

Would like to see Akram make the step up at some point, as he is very quick. Wouldn't mind seeing Lee Keegan in a freer role this year, rather than man-marking all the time and Stephen Coen should get a lot more time this year too.

Apparently the small cabal of players that Holmes and Connelly refered to did not speak at the get together of the Mayo panel over xmas but there was some straight talking done by some players.The word is Breheny is trying to get some one in the Mayo set up to go on the record and then drip feed the story.

You have got to hand it to Breheny,a top class journalist.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement