Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭charlie1980

I must congratulate the Boards forum where all views are welcome.
    I think some posters on here who do not like the truth about the small cabal of players within the Mayo panel exerting a negative influence would be better off posting on the Mayo News or John Gunnigan's Mayo blog where only one view is allowed.

This type nonsense

We are Mayo and We are in this together

will not win an All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

Apparently the small cabal of players that Holmes and Connelly refered to did not speak at the get together of the Mayo panel over xmas but there was some straight talking done by some players.The word is Breheny is trying to get some one in the Mayo set up to go on the record and then drip feed the story.

You have got to hand it to Breheny,a top class journalist.

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Can anyone confirm that the Mayo panel met over the xmas to specifically discuss the Holmes and Connelly debacle.
    There is a rumour that Breheny has got the scoop from an unnamed source within the Mayo set up.

So, at 1.21pm, you're asking if the meeting ever took place.
    Apparently the small cabal of players that Holmes and Connelly refered to did not speak at the get together of the Mayo panel over xmas but there was some straight talking done by some players.The word is Breheny is trying to get some one in the Mayo set up to go onto the record and then drip feed the story.

You have got to hand it to Breheny,a top class journalist.

And a mere 2 hours later, not only have you confirmed that it took place, but you know who did and did not speak at it & what was said.

That's some going. Woodward and Bernstein have nawtin' on you, never mind Martin Breheny.

Have you considered a career in the CIA, or the KGB? You're wasted here. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I must congratulate the Boards forum where all views are welcome.
    I think some posters on here who do not like the truth about the small cabal of players within the Mayo panel exerting a negative influence would be better off posting on the Mayo News or John Gunnigan's Mayo blog where only one view is allowed.

This type nonsense

We are Mayo and We are in this together

will not win an All Ireland.

Ah charlie1980 I totally agree that all manner of opinions are welcome on this forum.If your assertions are indeed true this is a matter for the management to deal with.The opinions/mindset of us keyboard warriors and the general support won't influence the ability of the players to win an All Ireland a wit.I do not believe your continual repetition of your assertions re alleged cabal that exists within the squad will alter those who hold polar opposite opinions.

I am more inclined to be focusing on the new talent that will be on display this Sunday in the FBD league clash against NUIG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Charlie, O'Shea is playing for the Sligo All-Stars if your gf wants to go down and get a closer look at him. Maybe she can get an autograph or something.

Hopefully it is just a piece of paper she wants signed...

Charlie, O'Shea is playing for the Sligo All-Stars if your gf wants to go down and get a closer look at him. Maybe she can get an autograph or something.

I am not sure my wife knows who Aidan is but she does know who Ryan Gosling is and fancies him if that is any good to you.

Hey Girl!

I am not sure my wife knows who Aidan is but she does know who Ryan Gosling is and fancies him if that is any good to you.

Hey Girl!

Oh Id say she knows him alright Charlie. Probably a cabal of posters of him up on the bedroom walls Id imagine. With you frantically sellotaping your head over his every chance you get.

Have you ever considered a quiff and beard, Charlie? Now not one of those wizened bum fluff 'tache efforts that you lads sport, I mean a proper beard...

Oh Id say she knows him alright Charlie. Probably a cabal of posters of him up on the bedroom walls Id imagine. With you frantically sellotaping your head over his every chance you get.

Have you ever considered a quiff and beard, Charlie? Now not one of those wizened bum fluff 'tache efforts that you lads sport, I mean a proper beard...

sad,so sad!

I will leave you to your seeth fest,have a good day sir.

sad,so sad!

I will leave you to your seeth fest,have a good day sir.

Sad indeed...

Well, Im going to be resident here for the foreseeable... So I suppose that would mean you are leaving the mayo forum, if you are a man of your word...

Good day is right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

So who do we think we'll see at the weekend? The vast majority of the squad are gone to South Africa, so there'll be few to choose from. I'm guessing we'll see a fair few U21s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Or maybe she wants to play in goals!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

PressRun wrote: »
    So who do we think we'll see at the weekend? The vast majority of the squad are gone to South Africa, so there'll be few to choose from. I'm guessing we'll see a fair few U21s?

I'll be bringing me boots (just in case :D)

I think I should take out the match program from the corresponding fixture last year if I'd bothered to keep it.Which if any of the lads have not headed off a well deserved break in the sun?Presumably those left behind will be available for selection.

Actually hoping to see all the players in action who were on the fringes of the panel.I'd imagine Rory Byrne will take up the goalkeeping duties.He's done very well for the Mitchels over the last couple of years.

I'd imagine the likes of David Kenny,Michael Plunkett,Liam Irwin and hopefully Matthew Ruane will see some action.Caolan Crowe seems to have dropped off the radar,ditto Andrew Farrell from Killala.Fergal Boland looked quite promising from the under 21s but is in serious of some strength and conditioning.Seamus Cafferkey of Ballagh might give the certain to see action Ger Caff a run for his money.:)The absence of a recognised full back was significantly to our detriment last summer.These under 21 players will hopefully be the core of our next generation.

The Mitchels lads Donie Newcombe and Neil Douglas will be keen to impress over the next few games.Delighted to see Jason Gibbons fit for the fray again post his injury against Gaillimh last summer.He is a big asset with a great engine and pace.

Hoping the mark will favour Seamus O Shea,Tom Parsons,Jason,big Barry Moran and Aidan O Shea.

Perhaps we'll discover a gem of an inside forward.

Now that I recall Conor O Shea togged out for NUIG last year and Adam Gallagher impressed the same day.Val Daly's son Peter ? impressed greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

seligehgit wrote: »
    I think I should take out the match program from the corresponding fixture last year if I'd bothered to keep it.Which if any of the lads have not headed off a well deserved break in the sun?Presumably those left behind will be available for selection.

Actually hoping to see all the players in action who were on the fringes of the panel.I'd imagine Rory Byrne will take up the goalkeeping duties.He's done very well for the Mitchels over the last couple of years.

I'd imagine the likes of David Kenny,Michael Plunkett,Liam Irwin and hopefully Matthew Ruane will see some action.Caolan Crowe seems to have dropped off the radar,ditto Andrew Farrell from Killala.Fergal Boland looked quite promising from the under 21s but is in serious of some strength and conditioning.Seamus Cafferkey of Ballagh might give the certain to see action Ger Caff a run for his money.:)The absence of a recognised full back was significantly to our detriment last summer.These under 21 players will hopefully be the core of our next generation.

The Mitchels lads Donie Newcombe and Neil Douglas will be keen to impress over the next few games.Delighted to see Jason Gibbons fit for the fray again post his injury against Gaillimh last summer.He is a big asset with a great engine and pace.

Hoping the mark will favour Seamus O Shea,Tom Parsons,Jason,big Barry Moran and Aidan O Shea.

Perhaps we'll discover a gem of an inside forward.

Now that I recall Conor O Shea togged out for NUIG last year and Adam Gallagher impressed the same day.Val Daly's son Peter ? impressed greatly.

Think you're referring to peter Cooke rather than val dalys son

There are only a few who haven't gone, but not sure if they will be available for selection either. Barry Moran got married a few days ago, so presumably may be on a honeymoon? Ger Cafferky, from what I understand, is not actually fully ready for action just yet. Michael Hall also injured, apparently.

There are only a few who haven't gone, but not sure if they will be available for selection either. Barry Moran got married a few days ago, so presumably may be on a honeymoon? Ger Cafferky, from what I understand, is not actually fully ready for action just yet. Michael Hall also injured, apparently.

Ah you're dead right,Barry Moran will understandably be unavailable.Totally forgot about Michael Hall who undoubtedly has potential but will need to add a touch more in terms of a physical edge.

Think you're referring to peter Cooke rather than val dalys son

Sorry that's the lad Peter Cooke,fine footballer.Val Daly's son was pretty decent too.

Mayo News

New faces get their chance for Mayo

ALL-IRELAND finalists Mayo will be without fourteen of the team that lost to Dublin when they line out in their first game of the new year next Sunday.
    Twenty-seven members of Mayo’s 2016 championship squad flew to South Africa today (Tuesday) for a ten-day team holiday.
    That means goalkeeper Rob Hennelly is the only player from the All-Ireland replay defeat that is available to Mayo manager Stephen Rochford for the FBD Connacht League clash against NUI, Galway in Castlebar.
    The only members of last summer’s Mayo championship panel not to go on the team holiday were Hennelly,Barry Moran,Shane Nally,Conor O’Shea,Brian Reape,Conor Loftus and Michael Hall.
    However,experienced midfielder Moran,who got married on New Year’s Eve,will be unavailable for selection next weekend as he is on honeymoon.
    Meanwhile, Ger Cafferkey (who wasn’t part of Mayo’s championship squad due to injury) will also play no part in the FBD League.
    The former All Star full-back is still recovering from the serious hamstring tear that ended his 2016 season prematurely.
    All-Ireland under 21 winner Hall is also ruled out for next weekend due to a groin injury.
    Rochford is going to run the rule over a number of new players for this month’s pre-season competition with all of them expected to play some part next weekend.
    Four members of Mayo’s All-Ireland winning under-21 team have been invited into the senior set-up for the upcoming games against NUI,Galway,IT Sligo and Roscommon — Fergal Boland,David Kenny, Michael Plunkett and Liam Irwin.
    Rory Byrne,Donie Newcombe and Neil Douglas from county champions Castlebar Mitchels have also been drafted in.
    However,Gareth O’Donnell from Charlestown,who was also invited into the panel in recent weeks,will not be involved in the upcoming games due to an injury.
    Jason Gibbons (who left the panel after damaging his shoulder against Galway) was also recalled to Mayo’s FBD League squad.
    However,the Ballintubber midfielder is among the travelling party that has left for South Africa,leaving Mayo’s management trying to make up the numbers for next Sunday.
    The Mayo News understands that Rochford will bolster his squad with some of Mayo’s under-21 panel.
    There is a strong Mayo contingent in Maurice Sheridan’s NUI,Galway squad with Eoin O’Donoghue,Stephen Brennan (Claremorris),Kevin Quinn (Ballinrobe),Gerry Canavan and Adam Gallagher (both Mayo Gaels),Stephen Conroy (The Neale) and Jack Deane (Ballycroy) all in their plans.
    However,O’Donoghue will be absent next Sunday as he is in South Africa with his Mayo colleagues.

• Advertisement

Mayo News end of year podcast.

With the GAA season done and dusted for another year,our podcast team sit down to cast a reflective eye on 2016 from a Mayo perspective.
    Host Rob Murphy is joined by Mike Finnerty,Seán Rice,Daniel Carey and Ger Flanagan,and he also catches up with John Gunnigan of the Mayo GAA Blog.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/listen/football-podcast/29176-audio-football-podcast-23-christmas-special

Dear oh dear!
    Hennelly hanging around the Mayo panel like a bad smell.
    I am sorry but he should never play for Mayo in a championship game again.He should be put out of his misery and told that he's surplus to requirements.
    It's nothing personal,it's an All Ireland or nothing.Passengers are only negative vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Sorry that's the lad Peter Cooke,fine footballer.Val Daly's son was pretty decent too.

Yeah, 2 good players. I'd imagine Cooke will get some game time during this years lesgue. Daly has also been called into Galway panel.

Dear oh dear!

I am sorry but he should never play for Mayo in a championship game again.He should be put out of his misery and told that he's surplus to requirements.
    It's nothing personal,it's an All Ireland or nothing.Passengers are only negative vibes.

I've little doubt David Clarke should be our first choice goalkeeper.There will be significant competition for the number one spot.I'd imagine Rory Byrne may have a strong case for usurping Robert Hennelly's position in the squad.Matthew Flanagan is a very promising young goalkeeper.I agree with the premise of your post.Robert Hennelly whilst having many of the attributes to be a top class goalkeeper has on a multitude of occasions cost us dearly with significant errors.It will be interesting to see if Stephen Rochford demonstrates the type of ruthlessness required to demote Robert Hennelly.Where we part is in the initial tone of your post,I do agree same decision should be nothing personal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I've little doubt David Clarke should be our first choice goalkeeper.There will be significant competition for the number one spot.I'd imagine Rory Byrne may have a strong case for usurping Robert Hennelly's position in the squad.Matthew Flanagan is a very promising young goalkeeper.I agree with the premise of your post.Robert Hennelly whilst having many of the attributes to be a top class goalkeeper has on a multitude of occasions cost us dearly with significant errors.It will be interesting to see if Stephen Rochford demonstrates the type of ruthlessness required to demote Robert Hennelly.Where we part is in the initial tone of your post,I do agree same decision should be nothing personal.

Think you are dead on there with regards Rory and Matthew. Afraid Rob has cost us costly in too many games now for the team to have any level of confidence. Add to that the cauldron he will face from opposition fans and players will be incessant. For his own good they need to remove him from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

U-21's playing Derry in Ballina this Saturday at 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

There is still a good few of the panel left isn't there?

Agreed.Rochford has got to be ruthless.
    Hennelly was sheeting himself in the replay and believe me the Dublin full forward line smelled blood.He should have beem replaced at half time,a nothing ball.time and his corner back to his right,come on?that was nerves.How many chances does he deserve.

Clarke took his time when he got the call,made Connolly wait and tbf he nearly got to an expertly taken penality.Clarke had to been reeling from been dropped but he brought calm and order to the Mayo full back line.In my view Clarke showed alot of character.

Mayo are close,they are very close but Rochford has to be ruthless,no cliques.The window of opportunity is rapidly closing now for this Mayo group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Mayo News

New faces.

Can't get myself excited about this at this stage despite wanting to. We'll only know if any newcomers will be good enough once they slot into a fuller strength team in better condition and conditions.

I'll be hoping for a couple of options in FB line, a midfielder and a couple of forwards to emerge during the league and to hopefully see how they get on in Croker during that.
    I'm not sure how useful the FBD is to us at whittling down these options, some players will star in a weak team and others improve with better quality around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Dear oh dear!

That's brilliant support from one of, if not the most supported county in the country. What ever happened to giving everyone on the panel your support?......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

EICVD wrote: »
    That's brilliant support from one of, if not the most supported county in the country. What ever happened to giving everyone on the panel your support?......

Charlie is not a Mayo fan

• Advertisement

EICVD wrote: »

Do you want Mayo to win an All Ireland?
    It's nothing personal but imo Hennelly should never play for Mayo again.
    I think EICVD ,you would be better off posting on John Gunnigan's Mayo blog where lick arses and back slapping reigns and no critical analysis of what the f**k went wrong against Dublin is permitted.
    tbf ,the boards forum allow realists to post.

Do you want Mayo to win an All Ireland?
    It's nothing personal but imo Hennelly should never play for Mayo again.
    I think EICVD ,you would be better off posting on John Gunnigan's Mayo blog where lick arses and back slapping reigns and no critical analysis of what the f**k went wrong against Dublin is permitted.
    tbf ,the boards forum allow realists to post.

Don't worry he isn't a Mayo fan.......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101272805&postcount=245

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Agreed.Rochford has got to be ruthless.
    Hennelly was sheeting himself in the replay and believe me the Dublin full forward line smelled blood.He should have beem replaced at half time,a nothing ball.time and his corner back to his right,come on?that was nerves.How many chances does he deserve.

Clarke took his time when he got the call,made Connolly wait and tbf he nearly got to an expertly taken penality.Clarke had to been reeling from been dropped but he brought calm and order to the Mayo full back line.In my view Clarke showed alot of character.

Mayo are close,they are very close but Rochford has to be ruthless,no cliques.The window of opportunity is rapidly closing now for this Mayo group.

Rochford needs to grow a pair and call time on more than Rob Hennelly. Freeman has had loads of chances and I think Dillon does not have the legs once you hit CP. It sad for Dillon but that's life.

At the same time these guys have given loads to Mayo but Rochford has to call time on guys that don't bring enough to the table and give some new faces a chance. This can also bring a bit of reality to the squad when an established player goes... Horan did it to Jackson

I believe that game is off,Derry have pulled out of the competition.I heard same tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Rochford needs to grow a pair and call time on more than Rob Hennelly. Freeman has had loads of chances and I think Dillon does not have the legs once you hit CP. It sad for Dillon but that's life.

At the same time these guys have given loads to Mayo but Rochford has to call time on guys that don't bring enough to the table and give some new faces a chance. This can also bring a bit of reality to the squad when an established player goes... Horan did it to Jackson

The same Dillon that was pulling strings against Tyrone a few months ago? He didn't need legs to slot over a valuable equaliser late on in the drawn game either.

He still has something to give us imo, an intelligent forward with tonnes of experience who can pass a ball and take a point.... I would be using him next year even if it's for 5 - 10 mins a game. Unless a few superstars come out of the blue, I don't think we're in the position to be tossing all stars onto the rubbish heap.

If either were to be dropped it would be nothing like Horan dropping "Jackson".

I believe that game is off,Derry have pulled out of the competition.I heard same tonight.

Mid west have it up on their site this morning that its on?

Published at 10 this morning

http://midwestradio.ie/index.php/sport/36916-mayo-face-derry-this-saturday-in-round-1-of-the-north-west-cup

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Mid west have it up on their site this morning that its on?

Mea culpa my reliable source obviously got it wrong,he's more of a grá for the small ball.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

PARlance wrote: »
    Can't get myself excited about this at this stage despite wanting to.

Well I'm in a highly excited state and can't wait for the season to begin again. I love going to the matches and being a part of it all. I look forward to seeing new faces and new possibilities, gets the juices flowing :D My boy wants to know where's Mikey Sweeney?

Hennelly put in some very good seasons in the past for Mayo imo and should not be allowed to be disrespected like he has been on here by some, after one match, everyone has an off day. Its so easy for the keyboard worriers to overlook the huge commitment made by all of our players, enough with the nonsense now its very poor form.

Oldtree wrote: »
    Well I'm in a highly excited state and can't wait for the season to begin again. I love going to the matches and being a part of it all. I look forward to seeing new faces and new possibilities, gets the juices flowing :D My boy wants to know where's Mikey Sweeney?

Hennelly put in some very good seasons in the past for Mayo imo and should not be allowed to be disrespected like he has been on here by some, after one match, everyone has an off day. Its so easy for the keyboard worriers to overlook the huge commitment made by all of our players, enough with the nonsense now its very poor form.

Oh ya, tell your missus :)

With regards Hennelly its been 3 major games, 2 AI Finals and that game against Galway. Course he has been great for us in other games and kicked some good scores from frees, but when it counts it has cost us greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

yop wrote: »
    Oh ya, tell your missus :)

With regards Hennelly its been 3 major games, 2 AI Finals and that game against Galway. Course he has been great for us in other games and kicked some good scores from frees, but when it counts it has cost us greatly.

I think she knows ;)

There's 15 in a team yop, ball had to get through 14 to get to him, but any error on a goalies part is much more amplified than the other player. I just cant blame a goalie on an individual basis. Being great in other games got us to where we were.

It could be said that Aiden's lazy tired left foot kick into the wilderness cost us the match, cant blame any one player for a bad result imo.

I think she knows ;)

There's 15 in a team yop, ball had to get through 14 to get to him, but any error on a goalies part is much more amplified than the other player. I just cant blame a goalie on an individual basis. Being great in other games got us to where we were.

It could be said that Aiden's lazy tired left foot kick into the wilderness cost us the match, cant blame any one player for a bad result imo.

Ah ya the others have to take responsibility on it also, but we could be going around in circles :) Agreed to disagree ;)

Ah tad harsh there Oldtree I certainly wasn't in any way trying to disrespect Robert Hennelly who has been a great servant to the county.Just pointing out the cold reality of past big day performances.Just to emphasise I believe there are a couple of other goalkeepers who could come into the setup.At the end of the day nobody has a god given right to a place in the team/squad.I do concur with your keyboard warriors comment but all this forum is,is a means for us to express our different and by no means expert opinions about all things re our beloved Mayo football.

Really looking forward to Sunday myself, I'll keep an eye out for Mikey Sweeney!:)

Personally, I don't know if Robbie Hennelly has the nerves for the big day. There has been a pattern of him having meltdowns during big matches. Being a goalkeeper means being slightly outside the thick of things. More time to think, rather than being stuck in the middle of the action. I think he gets anxious or a bit wound up or something and that sends him wayward. Either way, I don't see how anyone could have confidence in him in big matches at this stage. David Clarke has more presence in goal, imo.

Personally, I don't know if Robbie Hennelly has the nerves for the big day. There has been a pattern of him having meltdowns during big matches. Being a goalkeeper means being slightly outside the thick of things. More time to think, rather than being stuck in the middle of the action. I think he gets anxious or a bit wound up or something and that sends him wayward. Either way, I don't see how anyone could have confidence in him in big matches at this stage. David Clarke has more presence in goal, imo.

Agreed.
    Although I don't think it is the end of him. There is no reason why he couldn't go away for a while and come back fresh, when he has maybe developed his game a bit more, and maybe grown up a bit.
    I think that is his main problem, along with one or two more, they are still faffing around with ideas of media spotlight, along with AOS. They remind me of two guy who see the world as a film with themselves in the main role. You see that in teenagers a lot but it is past time they were growing out of that sh*te.
    Both of them have the talent to be top players in the game. But the most common thing in the world is unfulfilled talent.
    A spell out of the squad could well be the sobering experience hennelly needs, while O'Shea could maybe do with a good spell on the bench. He hasn't been developing his game the last few years anyway, and has become one dimensional and predictable.

I don't know if it's growing up he needs to do or if he's just has a nervous disposition. I think it's more the latter. Some people just don't like the big stage and that's fine. Not everyone likes the "big moment" and the pressure that comes with it. But you need to be honest with yourself about that if that's how you really feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

He's definitely prone to having a few lapses of concentration and these have cost us in the last 2 years - the shoelaces kick out, the kick out to Flynn in the Galway game and the penalty in the final. These were all stakes in the heart that lost the team momentum.

No question he has been a good servant to Mayo football and his commitment is beyond reproach.

His consistency though is patchy and if he plays this year he will be a target for teams. Plus the whole baiting in the media and dragging up his bloopers wont help his confidence or morale in the team. For that reason he should be dropped.

It was mooted on here after the final that Micheal Schlingermann may be in the frame for a return to the panel. I am sure Sligo rovers would have a say about that though. Is it rameis or a possibility?

Though I would like to see Clarkey stay on for another go at it.

How can Rochford turn the goal keeper into an advantage to the team? With Peter Burke on board as a selector this year how will he influence the role of the keeper? More or less of a role?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Must be one hell of a price on that team holiday, 26 players and their partners, who's paying?

Fully deserved too btw. Wish the likes of it would happen more at inter county level.

Agreed. Although I don't think it is the end of him. There is no reason why he couldn't go away for a while and come back fresh, when he has maybe developed his game a bit more, and maybe grown up a bit. I think that is his main problem, along with one or two more, they are still faffing around with ideas of media spotlight, along with AOS. They remind me of two guy who see the world as a film with themselves in the main role. You see that in teenagers a lot but it is past time they were growing out of that sh*te. Both of them have the talent to be top players in the game. But the most common thing in the world is unfulfilled talent. A spell out of the squad could well be the sobering experience hennelly needs, while O'Shea could maybe do with a good spell on the bench. He hasn't been developing his game the last few years anyway, and has become one dimensional and predictable.

Stop this absolute bull of making out players are being distracted by media and that's why they are performing poorly, it's a stupid idea that is typical keep your head down and say nothing caveman Ireland attitude. Media interviews, social media posts etc aren't frowned upon in other sports! Why is gaelic football different.... If you haven't won the All Ireland yet then shut up and don't be seen because you'll be "distracted".

It really is the laziest excuse going and I'm sorry to break it to ye but it has no precedence to support it and it has no basis, and thrown around with no thought given to it.

"Aidan O'Shea plays badly when he goes on the pitch because he did the show on RTE for a week and he does interviews and likes Twitter." That's basically what people are saying. Just actually think about that and break it down in your head, ridiculous argument. Don't hear the likes of it going on elsewhere, why does the GAA have to be backward and begrudge someone opportunities in the media?

• Advertisement

Typical of the GAA. I love our sports but I'm ashamed of the "Do everything but get fcuking nothing in return" attitude towards our players. A player can't go for a few drinks, he can't send a few tweets, he can't go to America for a week for what is essentially a holiday. He's not getting paid either lads, I think people are forgetting that.

You really don't hear the likes of it in other countries or sports and it's embarrassing. Especially when you consider we are dealing with amateurs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement