Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Jaden wrote: »
    Sounds entirely reasonable. Selling the Nell, and a €40 odd million loan from GAA central would go a decent part of the way to getting a 25K stadium in place. At the end of the day, we are all going to be saddled with a debt that ties up funding that could be invested elsewhere.

Id imagine Dublin would be getting the majority of that loan out themselves to be honest with you. I mean if mayo would only get half to begin with, then I cant see Dublin getting the whole lot straight off the bat. They are more than capable of meeting repayments on their own, so I doubt they would be getting the gaa to pay for it. The rest of the country are already paying for their development as regards on the field, (20% of the population reside in Dublin, yet they get over 50% of development money. It doesn't take a genius to work out that 20% will produce 20% of the overall take - therefore 60% of that figure is coming from outside Dublin).

As they say themselves, when incoming funds are being discussed, they are more like a province than a county. Therefore the same must go for outgoings Id imagine.
    Funny enough, the province spiel is turned on it's head completely when games are discussed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Sounds entirely reasonable. Selling the Nell, and a €40 odd million loan from GAA central would go a decent part of the way to getting a 25K stadium in place. At the end of the day, we are all going to be saddled with a debt that ties up funding that could be invested elsewhere.
    No one except Mayo is being saddled with Mayo's debt.
    Unless Croke Park is fully leveraged as Collateral already (it's not, not even a fraction of it), then the cost of funding Mayos' Debt is being entirely borne by Mayo GAA and no one else.
    All that is being done is the GAA are using their extensive and otherwise unused credit lines and access to cheaper funding from banks to "grandfather" or act effectively as guarantor on Mayo's debt.
    No one is losing out on any funding as a result of the arrangements made to service Mayo's debt.

There should be no reason for anyone except perhaps Dublin to be impacted by funding provided to build a shiny new stadium to replace Parnell Park.
    As an aside, seeing as the game against Sligo IT this weekend is probably a dead rubber game as regards making the FBD final, what kind of lineup could we expect to see taking to the pitch? Massively experimental again, or more like what the league setup might look like?

A bit more of the same as last week. Perhaps without the Westport lads and the existing under 21 panel given they both have games themselves.
    Can't see many of the main Senior Panel featuring but a few may be called in given numbers are shorter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Blackjack wrote: »
    No one except Mayo is being saddled with Mayo's debt.
    Unless Croke Park is fully leveraged as Collateral already (it's not, not even a fraction of it), then the cost of funding Mayos' Debt is being entirely borne by Mayo GAA and no one else.
    All that is being done is the GAA are using their extensive and otherwise unused credit lines and access to cheaper funding from banks to "grandfather" or act effectively as guarantor on Mayo's debt.
    No one is losing out on any funding as a result of the arrangements made to service Mayo's debt.

There should be no reason for anyone except perhaps Dublin to be impacted by funding provided to build a shiny new stadium to replace Parnell Park.

A bit more of the same as last week. Perhaps without the Westport lads and the existing under 21 panel given they both have games themselves.
    Can't see many of the main Senior Panel featuring but a few may be called in given numbers are shorter again.

The senior panel are only returning from South Africa tomorrow or so I believe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

seligehgit wrote: »
    The senior panel are only returning from South Africa tomorrow or so I believe?

That's my understanding. Those that didn't travel are more likely to feature.
    Can't see many others being asked to play but you never know.

Bambi wrote: »
    Wasn't picked by the O'Sheas I heard

:D

Very good, you have to laugh at that one.

The number of likes from Dub posters floating around on the mayo page is a bit cringe though...

The Advertiser is reporting that Brendan Harrison will miss at least the first two rounds of the league post an operation.Ger Caff is still on a return to play protocol and it could be late February or early March before he is back in action.

Lee Keegan and Kevin Keane will be marked absent until the end of Westport's involvement in the intermediate championship.The result of their semi final on Sunday January 29th will determine their availability for our opening league game against Monaghan the following week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

The number of likes from Dub posters floating around on the mayo page is a bit cringe though...

A bit rich coming fro the mayo man who has a season ticket for the Dubln page 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Some neck on you. Have you been floating around the Dublin page any time recently. How many posts have you put on the Dublin page this week alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I can only see about a quarter of the posts on here now I've so many people on ignore
    Might be time to just unfollow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Some neck on you. Have you been floating around the Dublin page any time recently. How many posts have you put on the Dublin page this week alone.

I see what you mean.

Throwing stones in a glasshouse...... never a good idea.:D

• Advertisement

Neil Douglas will miss Mayo’s remaining matches in the FBD Connacht League after breaking a finger during last Sunday’s defeat to NUIG.

He is understood to have undergone surgery on the injury earlier this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Double irony is the best.....

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭charlie1980

Bambi wrote: »
    Wasn't picked by the O'Sheas I heard

:D

A brilliant post.

This is the thing,is Rochforfd going to stand up and be counted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The Advertiser is reporting that Brendan Harrison will miss at least the first two rounds of the league post an operation.Ger Caff is still on a return to play protocol and it could be late February or early March before he is back in action.

Lee Keegan and Kevin Keane will be marked absent until the end of Westport's involvement in the intermediate championship.The result of their semi final on Sunday January 29th will determine their availability for our opening league game against Monaghan the following week.

That must have been a terribly bad hamstring tear by Cafferkey. How long has he been out now?

That must have been a terribly bad hamstring tear by Cafferkey. How long has he been out now?

Can't recall exactly but it must be coming up on a year or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Apparently he tore his hamstring off the bone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Apparently he tore his hamstring off the bone.

*winces*

A fine player. he was really missed last year. He shores up that spot in front of the D quite well, and is a solid man marker. He had a great game in the 2014 League game that ended all square, nearly kicked a fine own point mind you. Any idea when he'll be back on the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

*winces*

A fine player. he was really missed last year. He shores up that spot in front of the D quite well, and is a solid man marker. He had a great game in the 2014 League game that ended all square, nearly kicked a fine own point mind you. Any idea when he'll be back on the pitch?

Towards the end of the league I think.

Under 21 result

Mayo 10 Sligo 2-5

‪‪1. Matthew Flanagan
    2. Eoghan McGrath
    3. Marcus Park
    4. Gerard Holian
    5. James Kelly
    6. Sean Conlon
    7. Shairoze Akram
    8. Sean Walsh
    9. Barry Duffy
    10. Jordan Flynn
    11. Brian Reape
    12. James McCormack
    13. Ross Egan
    14. James Carr
    15. Kevin Quinn

• Advertisement

Im one person though....

Plus I was making valid points on the dublin page. The difference here is a few dubs just hanging around waiting to like comments from other dubs. Its pretty sad.

Another example - Did you notice the delight of the dubs when mayo last to nuig? Did you then notice that mayo people didnt give a toss when dublin lost to UCD? Therein lies the point man..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Slightly off topic ....Jinkin Joe Corcarans grand daughter.....
    http://www.cheshireherald.com/node/12176

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Kalyke wrote: »
    Slightly of topic ....Jinkin Joe Corcarans grand daughter.....
    http://www.cheshireherald.com/node/12176

more on topic than some of this "player power" sh1te to be fair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Another fine day out with some nice long points.

Can anyone tell me what happened with Donal as I missed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭charlie1980

Clarke made captain today,has Rochford finally wised up?

Its a shot across the bows of the small cabal of players that have too much negative influence,they will not be happy.

Mayo 1-21 Sligo IT 1-15

1. David Clarke
    2. David Kenny
    3. Ray O Malley
    4. Donie Newcombe
    5. David Drake
    6. Eoghan O Reilly
    7. Michael Plunkett
    8. Shane Nally
    9. Danny Kirby
    10. Fergal Boland
    11. Cathal Carolan
    12. Jason Doherty
    13. Evan Regan
    14. Liam Irwin
    15. Alan Freeman

Used substitutes
    Caolan Crowe
    Cian Costello
    James Durcan
    Donal Vaughan
    Cillian O Connor

Unused substitutes
    Rory Byrne
    Colm Boyle
    Kevin McLoughlin
    Tom Parsons
    Aidan O Shea
    Jason Gibbons

Another interesting outing,we got off to a good start going 4 points to one up but a rather needlessly conceded penalty undid much of the good work.

Jason Doherty who was showing well went off injured.A good fashioned long high ball from Evan Regan resulted in Alan Freeman cancelling out the visitors penalty.

The second half appeared likely to be a bit of a canter but the Sligo lads started to dominate with fifteen minutes left on the clock and closed the gap to three points.They were helped in no little way by some rather bizarre refereeing decisions and a bit of flagging on the part of our lads.A few late scores put a degree of respectability on the scoreboard.

David Clarke post his return from South Africa was solid but his kickouts were shaky at times.

The two corner backs David Kenny and Donie Newcombe impressed whilst Ray O Malley had a trying afternoon.

David Drake was solid,dropping a ball into the goalkeeper's hands and gave away one careless possession.Eoghan O Reilly offers a physicality down the middle with a decent turn of pace.Michael Plunkett kicked a lovely score in the first half.

Danny Kirby's work rate can't be faulted but it was a bit of a mixed bag.Some good things undone with unnecessary turnovers.I don't understand why he has to slice all his kick passes.

Shane Nally continues to look the part,impressive performer although he did tire on the heavy pitch.

Fergal Boland was excellent again today,linking up well and taking his scores well.

Cathal Carolan workrate couldn't be faulted.Mixed bag from Evan Regan who has an excellent skillset,we're likely to see a lot more of him come championship time.

Liam Irwin freetaking off the ground on the right side was good given the conditions and given optimum ball he can take a score as demonstrated today.I'm not sure if he's the mobility nor the workrate commensurate with inter county level at this early stage in his career.

Alan Freeman had a good afternoon out and was solid with his freetaking.

Cian Costello took his two scores very well during his brief cameo,whilst James Durcan tagged a score on.

Donal Vaughan's black card/red card was a tad bizarre.Cillian O Connor sprayed the passes well during his brief interlude.

• Advertisement

Oldtree wrote: »

Did he pull somebody down and get a black card,upgraded to a red card for dissent to the referee?

more on topic than some of this "player power" sh1te to be fair!

Sick to the teeth of that topic of discussion at this stage.Praise be the lord the football season has started up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Oldtree wrote: »

Think he got a black card (for what I don't know, didn't see) and was disputing it, ref give him a red then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Vaughan red was unusual and happened so fast.

Wasn't sure was it a second yellow and have no idea what the crime was.

Fergal Boland looked promising though he is a tad light.

Evan Regan's physicality was impressive...he is well conditioned and has upper body strength in spades.

Good to see Clarkey back in the frame for another season.

There was a big dip in second half and think it was a poor Sligo IT side that dragged us down. They didn't give up and played to the end. Could have sneaked a goal to bring it back to 1 point towards the death. Referee played an a lot of injury time.

Roll on rest of January and then the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

James Durcan tacked a nice point. Very light.

Is he a brother of Patrick Durcan?

• Advertisement

finisklin wrote: »
    James Durcan tacked a nice point. Very light.

Is he a brother of Patrick Durcan?

Yes and there's a third brother Fergal.:)

finisklin wrote: »
    Vaughan red was unusual and happened so fast.

Wasn't sure was it a second yellow and have no idea what the crime was.

Fergal Boland looked promising though he is a tad light.

Evan Regan's physicality was impressive...he is well conditioned and has upper body strength in spades.

Good to see Clarkey back in the frame for another season.

There was a big dip in second half and think it was a poor Sligo IT side that dragged us down. They didn't give up and played to the end. Could have sneaked a goal to bring it back to 1 point towards the death. Referee played an a lot of injury time.

Roll on rest of January and then the league.

Agreed,Fergal Boland is a tad light at this early stage in his development as an interest county player but he shows much promise.Evan Regan's physicality is very impressive.

Sligo IT were definitely a less impressive outfit than NUIG last week.Our lads seemed to tire significantly in the final quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Whitehorse

Yes and there's a third brother Fergal.:)

James is a twin brother of Patrick. Fergal Durkan who plays for Castlebar is not a brother.

Whitehorse wrote: »
    James is a twin brother of Patrick. Fergal Durkan who plays for Castlebar is not a brother.

Mea culpa I was told he was another member of the clan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I thought Sligo the physically smaller team but they made up for that by being very quick. Nuig were also very quick last week.

Both nuig and Sligo It didn't seem to stop running for the entire games. I get the impression that they do some serious distance running as well as training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Whitehorse wrote: »

Useless bit of trivia, they're the first set of twins to play for Mayo since the Brady Bunch of Ger & Liam.

Clarke made captain today,has Rochford finally wised up?

Its a shot across the bows of the small cabal of players that have too much negative influence,they will not be happy.

Hang on, there is a cabal of players having an influence?
    Why didn't you say so earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Hang on, there is a cabal of players having an influence?
    Why didn't you say so earlier?

I've added "Cabal" to "Egos" on my list of annoying words on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

At this stage, its an open secret a cabal of players are running the show, and running it badly.

There is an All-Ireland in this Mayo team if that small cabal are given their P45s and kept as far away from the squad as possible.

Unfortunately we all know that is not going to happen, hence there is no All-Ireland on the horizon. The cycle is becoming laughable at this stage. Same players, same issues, same flops in the big games, back again the following year and walking onto the team, no questions asked and cheer leaded by some fans who really should know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Liam Irwin freetaking off the ground on the right side was good given the conditions and given optimum ball he can take a score as demonstrated today.I'm not sure if he's the mobility nor the workrate commensurate with inter county level at this early stage in his career.

Liam Irwin has an awful lot of work to do, imo. He is slow and looks borderline uninterested sometimes. I know a few of the U21s have been enjoying the last year since the AI win and I'm not sure some of them are ready to knuckle down just yet.

• Advertisement

At this stage, its an open secret a cabal of players are running the show, and running it badly.

There is an All-Ireland in this Mayo team if that small cabal are given their P45s and kept as far away from the squad as possible.

Unfortunately we all know that is not going to happen, hence there is no All-Ireland on the horizon. The cycle is becoming laughable at this stage. Same players, same issues, same flops in the big games, back again the following year and walking onto the team, no questions asked and cheer leaded by some fans who really should know better.

Well in fairness, they got the team to the all Ireland final replay. That makes them better at picking teams than most managers in the country - including Holmes and Connelly. That was genius of AOS and co to pick Dillon against tyrone, moran against tipp, their use of, best player in the game; lee keegan, throughout the year was inspired, and they got their matchups spot on in the final games too, completely outfoxing gavin in the first game...

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Well in fairness, they got the team to the all Ireland final replay. That makes them better at picking teams than most managers in the country - including Holmes and Connelly. That was genius of AOS and co to pick Dillon against tyrone, moran against tipp, their use of, best player in the game; lee keegan, throughout the year was inspired, and they got their matchups spot on in the final games too, completely outfoxing gavin in the first game...

Then they picked Hennelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Or maybe Hennelly picked himself......

Maybe they let rochford pick hennelly? Who knows?
    Doesn't really matter to be honest. The reality is the nature of the mistake that hennelly made, means that cant be blamed on anyone but hennelly himself. The manager cant be held culpable for any player failing to carry out the basics of the game. For example, when cluxton had a meltdown in the semi final, it wasn't placed at jim gavin's door, nor should it have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭boosabum

In the final when Clarke was having his mini meltdown, Hennelly was warming up on the sideline. Subsequently Clarke was left out for the final so the manager had the courage of his convictions.
    When Hennelly has his meltdown in the replay, the manager didn't have the courage of his convictions as he didn't sub him then or at half time.
    That's the difference with gavin, he let the player be fully responsible

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

boosabum wrote: »
    In the final when Clarke was having his mini meltdown, Hennelly was warming up on the sideline. Subsequently Clarke was left out for the final so the manager had the courage of his convictions.
    When Hennelly has his meltdown in the replay, the manager didn't have the courage of his convictions as he didn't sub him then or at half time.

That would ask more questions than it answers would it not ?

Fully responsible? For what? Can you give an example?

I recall him hauling off their best player in the championship up to then - kevin mcmanaman, yet leaving on Bernard Brogan even though he was skinned throughout. What is the difference?

The only difference I can see is the team won, so nobody bothers looking at those decisions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm really struggling to remember these meltdowns, mini or otherwise.

Apparently Hennelly was being readied in the dieing minutes of the drawn game as an option for a long range free had the need arisen.

I presume you are interpurting a few misplaced kickouts as these mini meltdowns

If that is the case then every team in the country would be going through keepers at a rate of knots

The only meltdown Hennelly had in the final was the penalty, that gifted Dublin 3,they won by 1.

Just noticed the game on Sunday is down for Kiltoom as opposed to the nice handy drive up to Ballinlough.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Just noticed the game on Sunday is down for Kiltoom as opposed to the nice handy drive up to Ballinlough.:mad:

John Prenty put a end to the Ballinlough/Ballyhaunis FBD games a few years ago. Kiltoom this game was to be played in last year but changed mid week to MacHale park on the grounds it wouldn't be big enough to hold the crowd but now one year on Kiltoom is big enough?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement