Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

naughto wrote: »
    How does that work sure it has to be scanned to get the attendance percentage on computer

Can't they scan it in the ticket truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

irishgeo wrote: »
    anyone hear the rumour that they are changing the way season tickets work.

you wont be able to scan your tickets but you have to pick up a ticket from a ticket office/van?

That would be SERIOUSLY annoying
    And make no sense
    Castlebar had scanners put in for example

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Just spotted on the Donegal thread that we played them in a challenge match at the Sligo centre of excellence.

Mayo 0-13 Donegal 1-11

Michael Murphy scored the goal in the first half,no idea as yet what sort of team lined out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

seligehgit wrote: »
    Just spotted on the Donegal thread that we played them in a challenge match at the Sligo centre of excellence.

Mayo 0-13 Donegal 1-11

Michael Murphy scored the goal in the first half,no idea as yet what sort of team lined out.
    Match report

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/home/232805/murphy-goal-enough-to-give-donegal-narrow-victory-over-mayo-in-challenge-game.html#.WI4DrUDUvtk.twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

So Brady is going to manage Mayo to an All Ireland.
    http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=265663

I wouldn't put it past him to be honest. I like reading his stuff and he was a proper footballer too imo

Stoner wrote: »

I wouldn't put it past him to be honest. I like reading his stuff and he was a proper footballer too imo

He used to be involved with the Stephenites in the past,is he involved in any fashion with Castleknock??His experience in management would be questionable I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    He used to be involved with the Stephenites in the past,is he involved in any fashion with Castleknock??
    I should know but I don't sorry. They are next door to me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Stoner wrote: »

I say the same on a daily basis. I've as much chance as him! Though he didn't say if it was GAA or pie eating. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

He used to be involved with the Stephenites in the past,is he involved in any fashion with Castleknock??His experience in management would be questionable I'd imagine.

He was a selector with Castleknock in 2015 when Enda Murphy was the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Gael85 wrote: »
    He was a selector with Castleknock in 2015 when Enda Murphy was the manager.

I could be wrong here, but I seem to recall a brother of his managed John Mitchells from Lancashire that lost to Brosna of Kerry in the AI junior final 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Lost 2 kids attendances last year going through mchale turnstiles.
    There's me and 2 kids and the only thing I can think of, as I was careful to wait for the green light to come back on after each child went through, is in future to wait a bit longer between scanning each season ticket. There must be a delay in the system, maby as a load of people go through the turnstiles together where the scanner light is green, but the system is not really ready to scan the next ticket due to processing overload.

Mustn't have upgraded the system to a pentium chip yet :D

Havnt recieved any email notification from hq about changing the system to a truck scanner. That would seem like a step backwards, unless they were inundated by emails about attendances not being logged at mchale. At least with a ticket from the truck there would be proof of attendance that couldn't be argued should the truck scanner blip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

How many of those losses were against Kerry clubs?

The system Kerry implement make it very unfair on teams from other counties as regards the All Ireland club series for junior and intermediate levels.

They basically have Senior standard clubs competing at Intermediate and Intermediate level clubs at Junior.

Well. It is good to see that Kerry share some of Dublin's fault for Mayo not winning things.

So is it fair that an entire town with 30k people - Castlebar - get to have one club :-)

Part of Dublin I am in has six senior clubs at football and/or hurling within 4 mile radius. One of them has won All Irelands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Well. It is good to see that Kerry share some of Dublin's fault for Mayo not winning things.

So is it fair that an entire town with 30k people - Castlebar - get to have one club :-)

Part of Dublin I am in has six senior clubs at football and/or hurling within 4 mile radius. One of them has won All Irelands.

Castlebar do have too big a pick, I don't disagree. They aren't alone on that front, but in reality that is a completely different argument.

The last line of your post illustrates that you don't understand the point. The Kerry system wont have an affect at senior, but it will affect the lower grades. Has it not occurred to you that kerry teams seem to always be contesting and generally winning junior and intermediate all Irelands far more than at senior? Similarly, has it not occurred to you that this isn't just affecting mayo clubs, it is every club at that level?

These lads are giving up their time the same as any other gaa player. It isn't so much to ask that they get a fair crack of things when they get to all Ireland level - somewhere they probably wont get to be again in their lives. Rather than having one county board purposely loading the competition with teams who shouldn't be there and basically cheating everyone else out of it.

Your response is a pretty childish way of thinking to be honest with you.

I was being facetious. Fact that Castlebar has big population is not guarantee of success. It might be down to level of training and the club culture. Lots of small clubs have done well.

I was being facetious. Fact that Castlebar has big population is not guarantee of success. It might be down to level of training and the club culture. Lots of small clubs have done well.

A) Again, an unrelated point.

B) They are very successful.

Anyway, you are talking about Mayo instead of Dublin.

This is good.

Anyway, you are talking about Mayo instead of Dublin.

This is good.

You are still talking about the poster's county as opposed to the poster's comment.

That is bad.

• Advertisement

You are still talking about the poster's county as opposed to the poster's comment.

That is bad.

You have 922 posts, and probably 900 are about Dublin.

That is sad, not bad ;)

Monaghan team selected

1 Rory Beggan
    2 Fintan Kelly
    3 Drew Wylie
    4 Ryan Wylie
    5 Colin Walshe
    6 Neil McAdam
    7 Kieran Duffy
    8 Darren Hughes
    9 Kieran Hughes
    10 Karl O Connell
    11 Shane Carey
    12 Gavin Doogan
    13 Conor McCarthy
    14 Thomas Kerr
    15 Conor McManus

Very strong team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Season Ticket email is out and no mention of a truck in associated weblink. Just says to present at the turnstile with your card.

You just need to scan your season ticket as normal at MacHale Park. Make sure its between stiles 1-8 or else your attendance will not be recorded!

C3u1PM-WIAAHh_p.jpg

You have 922 posts, and probably 900 are about Dublin.

That is sad, not bad ;)

They aren't actually...

You are chasing around the board after a guy who simply made some fairly straightforward observations on financial doping in our national sport. You don't want to engage in discussion on a topic with him, it is just the guy himself you are after, and his county of course.

What does that say about you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Whose gonna pick up McManus?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

How are they broadcasting 3 simultaneously , I thought they only had 2 stations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

seanhynes wrote: »
    How are they broadcasting 3 simultaneously , I thought they only had 2 stations

Folks, Eir Sports seems to be causing a LOT of confusion (I know it had me bamboozled). 🙂

LIVE 7pm
    Eir Sport 1 Laois v Louth
    Eir Sport 2 Down v Fermanagh
    Eir Sport 2HD Mayo v Monaghan

Deferred coverage 9.30
    Eir Sports 1 Mayo v Monaghan

Sky Channel
    423 Eir Sports 1
    424 Eir Sports 2
    460 Eir Sports 2HD
    428 Premier Sports

Sorry don’t know the channels for other platforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Folks, Eir Sports seems to be causing a LOT of confusion (I know it had me bamboozled). 🙂

LIVE 7pm
    Eir Sport 1 Laois v Louth
    Eir Sport 2 Down v Fermanagh
    Eir Sport 2HD Mayo v Monaghan

Deferred coverage 9.30
    Eir Sports 1 Mayo v Monaghan

Sky Channel
    423 Eir Sports 1
    424 Eir Sports 2
    460 Eir Sports 2HD
    428 Premier Sports

Sorry don’t know the channels for other platforms.

Yes saw that last night that Louth v Laois and Down v Fermanagh were their featured games, was not too worried as will be at the Mayo game but found it odd none the less.

Edit : Only see the HD one now

• Advertisement

Whose gonna pick up McManus?

I was wondering the exact same,Brendan Harrison is injured.

Westport lads are club tied,still no sign of Ger Caff,still is he likely to give David Kenny or Donie Newcombe the role?

Might well be a short on match practice zippy will get the job.

1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)

2. Donie Newcombe (Castlebar Mitchels)

3. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)

4. Paddy Durcan(Castlebar Mitchels)

5. Colm Boyle (Davitts)

6. Stephen Coen (Hollymount/Carramore)

7. David Drake (Ballaghaderreen)

8. Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe)

9. Danny Kirby (Castlebar Mitchels)

10. Fergal Boland (Aghamore)

11. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)

12. Jason Doherty (Burrishoole)

13. Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites)

14. Alan Freeman (Aghamore)

15. Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber, Capt)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

5. Colm Boyle (Davitts)

Strong team for the first round of league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

I'd call it a weak team with a lot of unknowns ya need to win your home games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

5. Colm Boyle (Davitts)

Out of interest, when was the last time the team didn't have an O'Shea starting (apart from FBD)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

naughto wrote: »
    I'd call it a weak team with a lot of unknowns ya need to win your home games.
    I Wouldn't call that a weak Mayo team or a lot of unknowns. Newcombe,Kirby,Boland the only 3 of that team that didn't play championship football for Mayo.

I have a feeling this game will end in a draw and even with dropping a point in this home fixture i don't expect Mayo to be in relegation battle like they were last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

i think alan freeman needs to really push himself and have a good league campaign this year to really prove his worth.
    will also be interesting to see how the backs do.

I Wouldn't call that a weak Mayo team or a lot of unknowns. Newcombe,Kirby,Boland the only 3 of that team that didn't play championship football for Mayo.

I have a feeling this game will end in a draw and even with dropping a point in this home fixture i don't expect Mayo to be in relegation battle like they were last year.

Think I counted 8 starters from last years all Ireland final. Then you've players like coen and regan who seemed to be close to that team. Freeman who has been around a few years. For round 1 of league, it's seems a strong team - you often have a lot of players missing this time of year due to niggles, club involvement etc. I think this time last year, Mayo were missing a load of players in comparison,

I really hope Donie Newcombe,Danny Kirby and Fergal Boland give a good account of themselves.No harm in lots of good old competition amongst the ranks so nobody gets too comfortable.

They deserve this opportunity based on their FBD performances.

Shane Nally is very unlucky to lose out as he was excellent in the FBD league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Think I counted 8 starters from last years all Ireland final. Then you've players like coen and regan who seemed to be close to that team. Freeman who has been around a few years. For round 1 of league, it's seems a strong team - you often have a lot of players missing this time of year due to niggles, club involvement etc. I think this time last year, Mayo were missing a load of players in comparison,

Full back line with a newcomer, a corner back at full back and a wing back at corner back.

An inexperienced wing back in Drake and a guy who has been shuffled around a bit in Coen at half back.

A new midfielder in Kirby.

Forwards look strong, admittedly.

So over all a pretty mixed bag, lots of big game experience but also lots of guys out of position and some newcomers.

Full back line with a newcomer, a corner back at full back and a wing back at corner back.

An inexperienced wing back in Drake and a guy who has been shuffled around a bit in Coen at half back.

A new midfielder in Kirby.

Forwards look strong, admittedly.

So over all a pretty mixed bag, lots of big game experience but also lots of guys out of position and some newcomers.

Pretty much exactly what you want in the league. You want to look at a few new guys while playing a good few from last years team.

Merciful hour some amount of rain dropped from the skies last night.

Kirby is not a county player I'd put him in the same league as O'Shea strong as an ox put no football in him.

Did the O'Sheas drop themselves, or was there a vote :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

RD10 wrote: »
    i think alan freeman needs to really push himself and have a good league campaign this year to really prove his worth.
    will also be interesting to see how the backs do.

He has had loads of chances and has failed every time to step up in the last few years. Extremely disappointed in him as I thought he had the makings to be a cracking footballer but I am not sure if he likes the hits he will get at inter county football and this in turn is holding him back.

He has had loads of chances and has failed every time to step up in the last few years. Extremely disappointed in him as I thought he had the makings to be a cracking footballer but I am not sure if he likes the hits he will get at inter county football and this in turn is holding him back.

Yes it's the area of physicality that he's fell down on.For a physically imposing footballer with all the necessary attributes he's less inclined compete for the dirty ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Yes it's the area of physicality that he's fell down on.For a physically imposing footballer with all the necessary attributes he's less inclined compete for the dirty ball.

Yes spot on. Its all nice and dandy today for him and he may play very well but come the serious teams.. its a different story. It really is a shame as he has all the attributes as you say.

Yes spot on. Its all nice and dandy today for him and he may play very well but come the serious teams.. its a different story. It really is a shame as he has all the attributes as you say.

He's fine in Connaught come Croker where it matters he goes missing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Lads what channel is t on.. very confusing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement