Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Kalyke wrote: »
    Lads what channel is t on.. very confusing!

Eir Sport 1 9.45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Kalyke wrote:
    Lads what channel is t on.. very confusing!

It's on the HD version of either Eir Sport 1 or 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

It's EirSport2 HD. There are two other games in the SD versions of the channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Great to see such a big crowd. Should be a great night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Very lucky to be ahead at half time. Were defo 2nd best for most of the half.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

0-6 to 1.5 .
    Game on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Kirkby not up to it at this level.

Some dreadful decisions by that ref.

Red card for Monaghan player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

True, but too much going on for 1 man to follow anyway. Time to trial 2 refs.

• Advertisement

What are linesman or umpires for?

Ref playing for a draw here.

Monaghan win by 2 pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Would Conor Loftus have been available tonight? You'd have to think he's worth giving a run of games in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Dissapointing but not hugely surprising, Monaghan named a strong team and we couldn't quite match it. Newcombe looked good overall which is a bonus, had one great block too. Kirby can play better than he did tonight and Clarke showed why he's the best keeper in the country, his anticipation of play is superb.

Referee was crap, was far too happy to let the scrapping carry on.

The Mayo forwards were very disappointing again as per normal, big improvement needed by them if they are to stay in Division 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Well it's rare we win our first game of the league. Bit off the pace as to be expected, hopefully by game 3 we'll have a win on the board. By the way 10,817...it's a serious crowd

Barlett wrote: »
    Well it's rare we win our first game of the league. Bit off the pace as to be expected, hopefully by game 3 we'll have a win on the board. By the way 10,817...it's a serious crowd

Maybe thats the problem, 'its rare we wln our first game...'
    Sorta similar to, 'its rare we win an AI'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Donal55 wrote: »

You're already worrying about not winning the all Ireland? :rolleyes: Long way to go..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Barlett wrote: »

Big crowd. Just shows the demand for county football. All the games on TV tonight looked like they had good crowds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

The Mayo forwards were very disappointing again as per normal, big improvement needed by them if they are to stay in Division 1.

Good 10/15 mins at the end of 1st half but agree overall. Too much blind alley forward play again. Still waiting for Freeman to realise he is a bloody good player when he wants to be. Just doesn't believe in himself enough not getting younger either.

Boland had a decent debut. Mighty point. I reckon a role similar to McLoughlin will suit him in the long run.

Overall too many unforced errors. Goal was unfortunate with the slip. 16th man Motm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Only 2 real positives from that
    Clarke
    And cillian looks WAY fitter than at any stage over the last 2/3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Donal55 wrote: »

There's no relation between the two, we simply don't have a squad that's good enough to challenge in both competitions. Have to pick one or the another

Clarke was very brave and made the right decisions at crucial times showing his true worth imo. Motm

No sure why we seemed so sluggish at the start and for a lot of the first half compared to monaghan, maby we overtrained during the week???

Hate to see all that slappy stuff overlooked by the ref untill he could yellow card a player from both sides. Seems to be a tactic used by teams from up there that lack skill, but monaghan did not lack skill so I don't understand the use of a tactic like that.. The lines men had mikes and earpieces so was easy to contact the ref, so no reason to allow that type of sh**e to carry on. But we did rise to it and saw some retaliation during play that was not positive from our lads that the ref didn't see.

Saying that monaghan were very very quick to get 12 men back as soon as the ball was kicked out from our end in the first half. Their marking was very tight on kickouts too. We were outnumbered in their half for almost the entire half and kept running straight in or along the wing which suits the block defence. More than once we had 3 of theirs swatting at our man incoming on the ball. Their no 14 had a good accurate kick for points from distance.

Monaghans running back to block defence faltered on the 33rd minute in the first half when they ran out of steam and allowed a comeback.

Monaghans attacks were adept, running over and back, continuous fast hand recycling until you get a gap and it worked. Seems to me that's how you take on a block defence. Didn't really see mayo do this until COS came on, but a bit late.

I think the faltering in the 33rd minute was going to be relied on by us in the second half too, but even a man up it didn't work, but has to be said it was a near thing, a few mistakes proved it wrong, so close bur no cigar.

Still.i loved shouting mayo on in the dying minutes and look forward to the next outing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

A tactic by teams from up there? Nearly every one that they showed the start of on TV was a Mayo man starting the pulling and dragging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Jayop wrote: »
    A tactic by teams from up there? Nearly every one that they showed the start of on TV was a Mayo man starting the pulling and dragging.

its not a tactic that will get you any where though , kerry and dublin do as much as mayo or tyrone , its not what gives them the edge though ,.....if thats what the designed purpose is

Jayop wrote: »

Yes, you clearly know well the team I'm talking about from up there. Watching on TV dosn't give you a good overall view of the field of play and what happens there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Jayop wrote:

I watched the same feed you did Jayop and that's just not true. Monaghan, once they had the 4 point lead reduces the game to a scrap and some if the Mayo lads couldn't keep their heads.

Twice Kieran Hughes pushed a Mayo player towards the concrete wall over the sideline, leading to a bout of pushing and shoving.

Now the idea that only Northern teams start **** like that is rediculous.

Kerry did it to kill the last 5 minutes of extra time in Limerick in 2014. Dublin did it to Mayo in the last few minutes of the 2012 AIF. I'm sure Mayo have done it on occasion, I don't have an example off the top of my head though.

The same Mayo failings appear again and again. The lack of a real target man up front beside O'Connor really inhibits your attack. Boland looks a prospect, but in the long run I'm not sure Freeman, Doherty and Regan are the answer. Regan in particular looked a bit afraid of it last night. I might be harsh (watching Paul Geaney and Shane Enright last week in the McGrath Cup Final- they looked like Junior B players) it's still early in the year.

The Kirby experiment didn't really work. I would have liked to have seen him beside O'Connor and Regan at FF to draw the Monaghan sweeper deeper to protect from the high ball in. Anytime i've seen him at FF for Castlebar (which admittedly isn't often) he seems to cause difficulty. Also I think O'Connor would be clever enough to read the breaks off him.

Newcombe and Boland look really promising.

Donie Vaughan vanished from the game altogether. Presumably he was taken off early in the second half?

I have to say Rory Beggan has the sweetest strike of a ball that i've seen since Maurice Fitzgerald. Bryan Sheehan kicks a lovely free from the ground, but Beggan seems to caress it over.

Anyway see ye all in Tralee presumably? I hear there is great crowd travelling down. Should be a great atmosphere.

Truly disappointing start to the league campaign,our home record is awful over recent years.It was at times a very spiteful encounter.

The weather conditions really did not help,the heavy pitch and wet ball ensured it wasn't going to be a forward's night.

Few if any positives to be taken from the night.David Clarke excelled in goal although I would still have concerns re his kickouts.Donie Newcombe can be very proud of his day's work.Cillian did an awful lot right on the night but unfortunately outside of him we were very short on any guile up front.

I'm not sure if individuals like David Drake put down on significant marker to hold onto their position.Fergal Boland has great potential and cleverness of thought but it's likely he'll have to develop a tad more.

Sadly Danny Kirby was lost at sea and looked out of his depth.He was chasing shadows at times and mistiming his jumps out of a fear of been hit,it appeared.We were destroyed by the excellent Hughes brothers in the middle of the park.Monaghan defended so much better as a unit than we did.I was truly amazed how much space we allowed the Monaghan players and how many uncontested kickouts we appeared to give them.Our indiscipline in the tackle afforded McManus to showcase his wonderful freetaking abilities in the first half and Beggan in the second half.Perhaps it is indeed the fact we are behind the curve in terms of training but it is disappointing some of the newer lads didn't step up.

Alan Freeman outside of one excellent score from another decent fetch was largely anonymous.Evan Regan really has to attain the ability to win his own ball inside,he doesn't win near enough of same.

I'd have liked to see Shane Nally get some game time.So it wasn't a totally unexpected loss with Monaghan naming such a strong 15 but it truly ramps up the pressure for the trip to Tralee.

Conor Lane had a truly awful day at the office,got a number of decisions wrong on both sides and lost control of the contest.

What's the story with Eir Sports?:mad: Watching the deferred coverage, heading to an ad break during both halves,truly awful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Not really surprised at the result. Kinda knew that Monaghan had their eye on winning this one and we didn't have the work done in training.

Boland looks promising enough, but a bit lightweight and he went fairly quiet for large parts of the game. Donie Newcombe had a good match. Clarke did well too, showing great instinct on his interceptions as always, but his kickouts were dodgy again, especially compared to Beggin, who found his man almost every time.

I was disappointed with both Freeman and Regan's inability to win their own ball. They both show some good stuff in flashes, but not enough, imo. Cillian, on the other hand, who doesn't have the pace of Regan or Freeman's height, is great for winning those 50/50 balls and he was trying to make something happen. Once again though he was on his own and didn't seem to have a clearly defined role. He seemed to be all over the pitch, even showing up at corner back at one point. He's well able to pop a goal or two. Do we really need him to be yet another all-rounder?

We were well and truly beaten in the middle and Kirby, though a big strong man, was a bit at sea. Donal Vaughan would drive you demented watching him running blindly into dead ends and crowds of opposition players. Stupid play, tbh.

I don't think we'll get anything out of the Kerry game because I don't think much work has been done, but I'd like to see Tom Parsons start for that match and Shane Nally in for Drake.

All in all, our poor home record continues and it looks like we're just aiming to stay in Division 1 again.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I watched the same feed you did Jayop and that's just not true. Monaghan, once they had the 4 point lead reduces the game to a scrap and some if the Mayo lads couldn't keep their heads.

Twice Kieran Hughes pushed a Mayo player towards the concrete wall over the sideline, leading to a bout of pushing and shoving.

Now the idea that only Northern teams start **** like that is rediculous.

Kerry did it to kill the last 5 minutes of extra time in Limerick in 2014. Dublin did it to Mayo in the last few minutes of the 2012 AIF. I'm sure Mayo have done it on occasion, I don't have an example off the top of my head though..

I was more talking about it being used by teams as a general tactic, that is done from the off and continuing throughout the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Clarke did well, good anticipation and good in the air (took man and ball and one stage in the first half with no regard for his own safety! thats the type of attitude we need to see all over the pitch-brilliant.
    taught donie newcombe and fergal boland slotted in nicely and had v.good games.
    Did we have any marks in that game at all? i cant remember any. wasnt a finger laid on ciaran hughes, all too easy for him to catch them all night long.
    cillian was the only man up front who really tried hard, only one who could win a 50/50 ball for himself and boy did he have to battle hard to keep a hold of it then being double marked at times. worked really hard tracking back and putting in the tackles.
    evan regan, rarely wins his own ball and if he does win it he cannot hold onto it. so frustrating to watch in every match. i really just dont think hes good enough. great left foot at times but only when hes not under pressure.he dosnt do much else tbh.
    Alan freeman as said above, is also so frustrating to watch because he has so much potential and can be a brilliant player, i just dont know what it is with him. he needs to be more aggressive in his play. he plucked a beauty from the sky at one point and i think slotted it over but if its not a perfect ball he dosnt seem interested in fighting hard to really win that 50/50 ball. seems too laid back and happy to sit back and let things pass him by.
    basically same old failings showing up already. apart from cillian the other forwards didnt contribute much imo.

seligehgit wrote: »

Few if any positives to be taken from the night.David Clarke excelled in goal although I would still have concerns re his kickouts.

Monaghan were very tight with the marking on our kickouts and they seemed to have 4 backs handy against 3 of our forwards on their kickouts. At times we were block attacked and outnumbered in our half. I felt that our backs and half backs didn't have the drive to continuously lose their markers, leaving Clarke little option but to kick over their heads into an outnumbered midfield. He made short quick kickouts when he could to retain possession.

RD10 wrote: »
    cillian was the only man up front who really tried hard, only one who could win a 50/50 ball for himself and boy did he have to battle hard to keep a hold of it then being double marked at times. worked really hard tracking back and putting in the tackles.
    evan regan, rarely wins his own ball and if he does win it he cannot hold onto it. so frustrating to watch in every match. i really just dont think hes good enough. great left foot at times but only when hes not under pressure.he dosnt do much else tbh.
    Alan freeman as said above, is also so frustrating to watch because he has so much potential and can be a brilliant player, i just dont know what it is with him. he needs to be more aggressive in his play. he plucked a beauty from the sky at one point and i think slotted it over but if its not a perfect ball he dosnt seem interested in fighting hard to really win that 50/50 ball. seems too laid back and happy to sit back and let things pass him by.
    basically same old failings showing up already. apart from cillian the other forwards didnt contribute much imo.

I agree with this. With Regan, I think it might be a strength/height thing. He's nippy and quick, but he can't shake off his man and gets dispossessed too easily. Freeman, while capable of kicking a nice score, is lacking aggression, imo. He doesn't seem to fight for much. Cillian is just stronger than Regan (saw Cillian up close recently, he's a big fella!) and a lot more aggressive than Freeman. He isn't afraid of a scrap and getting stuck into winning dirty ball.

PressRun wrote: »
    I agree with this. With Regan, I think it might be a strength/height thing. He's nippy and quick, but he can't shake off his man and gets dispossessed too easily. Freeman, while capable of kicking a nice score, is lacking aggression, imo. He doesn't seem to fight for much. Cillian is just stronger than Regan (saw Cillian up close recently, he's a big fella!) and a lot more aggressive than Freeman. He isn't afraid of a scrap and getting stuck into winning dirty ball.

Lest we forget Cillian O Connor wasn't always the most physically imposing player but worked very hard to develop same.Much to benefit of his game.Cillian I always get the impression would go through the solid block wall in order to bring any improvements to his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Regan has always had an issue with upper body strength. He is not able to take the hit and stay on his legs and/or hold the ball. He has the talent but been a top forward is much more than that. He really needs to improve and he is in the panel a few years now..

We look to have lack for quality forwards who can fight for the 50/50 ball and as some other guy said alot of "floating players" in the panel.. freeman, doherty, regan to name a few. Add in Dillion who is past it and it does not look very promising in the forward department. AOS needs to get his act together also as he has to take the full forward role and show what he can really do because it is in him but he needs to become a right bastard for defenders imo

seligehgit wrote: »
    Lest we forget Cillian O Connor wasn't always the most physically imposing player but worked very hard to develop same.Much to benefit of his game.Cillian I always get the impression would go through the solid block wall in order to bring any improvements to his game.

I think we've probably all heard the stories about what he's done to improve his game and the efforts he's made. He can't be faulted for the effort he puts in. He's become a bit of a beast physically over the last year or so.

I think we've probably all heard the stories about what he's done to improve his game and the efforts he's made. He can't be faulted for the effort he puts in. He's become a bit of a beast physically over the last year or so.

He looks slimmer and sharper this year
    A fully fully fit cillian is the difference in winning the AI or not ........he hasn't been fit for 2 years imo
    Carrying weight and always struggling for full fitness
    That's the main positive for me last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Really looking forward to seeing more of Boland, think he has a good head for the game on him

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Really looking forward to seeing more of Boland, think he has a good head for the game on him

I worry that he is too small.
    It's just the reality of the modern game . Lovely footballer with good pace. But he is small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

C36opUlWMAEC7ju.jpg

km79 wrote: »
    He looks slimmer and sharper this year
    A fully fully fit cillian is the difference in winning the AI or not ........he hasn't been fit for 2 years imo
    Carrying weight and always struggling for full fitness
    That's the main positive for me last night

Hopefully the knee problem he's had for the last couple of years has been sorted with that operation once and for all. I heard in 2015 that he needed quite a bit of treatment for pain to get through matches.

Hopefully the knee problem he's had for the last couple of years has been sorted with that operation once and for all. I heard in 2015 that he needed quite a bit of treatment for pain to get through matches.

And he bulked up without hin being able to do proper training with it
    Looks so much sharper last night thankfully

It's not looking likely we'll get any points down in the kingdom.Kerry were very impressive against Donegal for the first 55 odd minutes before appearing to take the foot off the pedal.Geaney and O Donoghue ran riot.

Unless something drastically improves over the next week (unlikely), I don't think we'll be up to much down in Tralee.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Disappointing the result, some positives from the performance. Seems to be a bad habit of starting the league badly.
    Clarke was superb, though some of the kick out choices were odd.
    Not sure who was our extra man and some of the shot and pass selection was not good.
    Young lads did well, thought Kirby did well in a rough position, every chance Monaghan got they were in on him with closed fists.
    We had the chances and didn't take them.
    McManus is a pleasure to watch and was the difference.
    Lane had his usual mare, isn't rated as a ref but is still there.

Don't think its going to improve next weekend, still not sure if I'm going to get down.

Great crowd. Brought my 3 year old to her first game, lovely night for it.

i think a lot of people are waiting for the likes of o'shea to come back into the forwards and suddenly bring the team to life.
    Remember o'shea isnt particularly playing out of his skin either ..
    from a forwards point of view surely the guys who are being started now know they need to work even harder to impress to kick the other guys back to the bench.
    they need to make one of those starting jerseys their own come championship. keeping in mind its only the first match of the league but it just dosnt feel like anyone is prepared to step up and stand out from the crowd just yet.
    in saying that i can see the team as a whole improving over the next few weeks.

It is early days and there is still plenty of work to be done. Training has only recommenced very recently, so oviously you'd be hopeful that efforts will be made to address some of the problems in the coming weeks and that players will find their rhythm with more game time. That being said, I would have liked to see us have a proper go at the league this year. Winning it would be a huge morale boost, I feel, but it just seems like we're often content to just avoid relegation and throw everything into the championship.

It is early days and there is still plenty of work to be done. Training has only recommenced very recently, so oviously you'd be hopeful that efforts will be made to address some of the problems in the coming weeks and that players will find their rhythm with more game time. That being said, I would have liked to see us have a proper go at the league this year. Winning it would be a huge morale boost, I feel, but it just seems like we're often content to just avoid relegation and throw everything into the championship.

i agree. hopefully things will improve as we go along. i dont want us to be fighting a relegation battle and depending on points difference to keep us up. if not finshing top i'd like for us to really give the league a right lash this year and do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Our lack of a ball winner in Midfield was frightening. Clarke's kick-outs to that area were not good. Clarke was unreal, I thought alot of the good he did was his own doing in once sense, coming out of this goal sweeping. Felt he got lucky on one or two occasions. No arguing his shot-stopping though, some incredible saves.

Thought we should have had a free in on the 21 yard line in the move that ended with the ball in our net. I forgot to put a clock on the second half & txt a mate to see how long was left. 7 mins + injury-time was the reply & I knew there would be a considerable amount of that. Yet out on the pitch we were playing as if the game was about to end. Really frantic & rushing things, a quick free which was very scor-able springs to mind.

Coen at six looks a major option going forward. Monaghan had more in the legs & knew there game-plan a lot better than us. Im a bit puzzled with the way we are trying to play. What about the McLoughlin sweeper experiment? Should that not have been continued here so everyone is learning as we go? Continually playing into the oppositions hands & caught on the counter every-time. Monaghan looked like scoring every time they attacked. Some of the ball we put into the FF line is shocking. Still neee dot see a lot more form Regan of he going to be an option in a few months

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement