Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

RD10 wrote: »
    well that was some turnaround, they really grinded out that win. fair play.
    andy is some man.
    As good as a months training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

super win. This is what we need to get the ball rolling after last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Congrats.

Great Mayo crowd in Tralee.

Super fightback in the second.

Gutted that Kerry didn't make the first half count more on the scoreboard but a fair result overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

naughto wrote: »
    Was having a nose in the dub thread

31 games now and counting. It'll take some side to stop this Dublin team from,winning 3 in a row and right now there's not a side in the country that has the quality, or belief too knock us off our perch. Not at there best tonight,but still showed unbelievable resilience,in the face of adversity.

On too play Donegal next,before facing the perennial bottlers.

I tend to avoid that particular cesspit of arrogance myself.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Congrats.

Great Mayo crowd in Tralee.

Super fightback in the second.

Gutted that Kerry didn't make the first half count more on the scoreboard but a fair result overall.

Kerry should have been out of sight at half time. I feared the worst when Kerry got the goal that had been threatening for a while.
    A lot of our players a bit rusty. Vaughan in particular and Doherty also. I would not be getting too worried about either of those at this stage. Vaughan was in similar if not worse form at this point last year too and ended up being one of our best in the latter stages of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Blackjack wrote: »
    I tend to avoid that particular cesspit of arrogance myself.

We'd be the same ourselves if we had their record over the last few years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Some good and some bad in that, but surprised and happy with the win. Nearly froze to death, but had good craic with the Kerry supporters at the match.

Also special mention to the ref, who was shocking for both sides. It wasn't a dirty match (save for the handbags at the end), and yet he was dishing out cards left right and centre. Nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

PressRun wrote: »
    Also special mention to the ref, who was shocking for both sides. It wasn't a dirty match (save for the handbags at the end), and yet he was dishing out cards left right and centre. Nonsense.

Fully agree
    Still trying to find out what parsons got a ref for too

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wow, that was expected, unexpected and fantastic! :) When I heard they had lost a few and our subs I was happy and had hope, 35 mins in I thought we were lucky not to be 10 down, then the 2nd half was superb.
    Clarke was good and bad all in one! Thought the defence got destroyed in the 1st half. COC was poor in the 1st, missed some nice frees and we just seemed lost.
    The penalty was shocking, some of the frees were as bad.
    2nd half was a total change. Thought Parsons had a great 2nd half, what the red was for, well only the numpty Hughes will know.
    Andy was excellent, if ever we had someone who could teach young lads how to play that position its him. COC had a better 2nd half as did McLoughs and Doch.
    Vaughan seems slow and lost, but he must be doing something right.
    Boland i thought played well, Regan from my view was poor again. COS did alright, he seems to have more pace than Aidan or Seamie.
    I think its harsh to say lads aren't up to it, they are 2-4 games into their senior intercounty career, remember some of these played in that U21 final last year, they should more character than I have seen in many senior teams.

All in all I'm delighted with that win. Having to go to Dublin and Tyrone seem big asks, but again though why not get a result?

A bit of consistency now. McHale park seems to bloody haunt us, so while I expect the same level of 2nd half performance against the Rossies, who knows what will happen.

• Advertisement

km79 wrote:
    Fully agree Still trying to find out what parsons got a ref for too

He charged in with the shoulder into Peter Crowley after the free out was given.

Unnecessary, stupid but never a straight red. A definite yellow and if I recall, he was on a yellow anyway. But it was right in front of me and there wasn't a punch thrown by either side. Just a bit of old fashioned time killing.

Silly refereeing.

Disagreed with Lyne's black as well. Didn't pull McLoughlin to ground. Pulled the jersey back cynically, but under the current rule that isn't a black card.

The other two were spot on. Regan for the body check and Jason Foley for the foot trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

just watched it back on slow motion. nonsense that red card. yes a yellow for running into the back of him like that but definately not a red. the kerry lad grabbed parsons around the neck after that and the umpire (who was out on the pitch with them) deemed parsons actions before that worthy of a red. it was the umpire that gave the ref the information on that so wouldnt blame the ref on that one.
    as i said before our forwards need to start stepping up to the plate. all six. not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

RD10 wrote:
    just watched it back on slow motion. nonsense that red card. yes a yellow for running into the back of him like that but definately not a red. the kerry lad grabbed parsons around the neck after that and the umpire (who was out on the pitch with them) deemed parsons actions before that worthy of a red. it was the umpire that gave the ref the information on that so wouldnt blame the ref on that one. as i said before our forwards need to start stepping up to the plate. all six. not good enough.

Referees trying to enforce rules that will be forgotten about by championship. Happens every league. But by the rule book it was a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

But it was right in front of me and there wasn't a punch thrown by either side. Just a bit of old fashioned time killing

Keane threw two punches right into the gob of one of the Mayo players. I can't recall who he hit as I was going soft at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Agreed. That's 2 weeks in a row where the ref's performance was worthy of mention. Just watching the Mayo again and Hughes certainly ruined it.

statto25 wrote:
    Keane threw two punches right into the gob of one of the Mayo players. I can't recall who he hit as I was going soft at the time.

Barry John Keane?

He pushed Danny Kirby about but didn't throw one punch. I am pretty certain of this. Crowley had Parsons in a headlock and a few lads threw body's about but no punches.

Literally front row seats to it. I couldn't have been closer.

Yet he didn't give BJK a card, i seen him giving two punches to the jaw of a mayo player at the end. I assume he will be getting some ban for that ???Even the Kerry supporters around us were disgusted with him.

Barry John Keane?

He pushed Danny Kirby about but didn't throw one punch. I am pretty certain of this. Crowley had Parsons in a headlock and a few lads threw body's about but no punches.

Literally front row seats to it. I couldn't have been closer.

He gave it alright, two short upper cuts.

Yet he didn't give BJK a card, i seen him giving two punches to the jaw of a mayo player at the end. I assume he will be getting some ban for that ???Even the Kerry supporters around us were disgusted with him.

I totally missed this. I was right in in front of it. When did it happen. Nobody spotted it around me.

Was it in the initial melee or after.

He certainly didn't punch anyone during the first one or when Kirby piled in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:

Those punches were just resting in his account DDC1990!! :)

I totally missed this. I was right in in front of it. When did it happen. Nobody spotted it around me.

Was it in the initial melee or after.

Very near the end of the fight, i think they had a hold of each others jersey, then he gave two uppercuts to the jaw. Didn't appear to have too much effect :).

Another poor performance from the forwards. I fear they are going to be the thing that holds this team back again this year. Why are more of the U21 team not getting a game ?

Very near the end of the fight, i think they had a hold of each others jersey, then he gave two uppercuts to the jaw. Didn't appear to have too much effect .

Fair enough, I don't doubt that it happened, just surprised I didn't see it.. I may have taken my eyes off it at that stage. But I was right in the front row and had BJK right in my eyeline for most of it, hence my surprise. I had muck from Donnacha Walsh's boot fly onto my lap at one stage, as someone flung him by the jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

When was the last time you lads won the league? I honestly think that winning it would be a huge step for you so I don't get the F it attitude a few days ago from a few posters.

That sounds like a great win tonight below. Ye were well behind and I assumed would be beat up a stick but you had to have played really well to get back into it. Well done.

Winning a big final in Dublin could be a super step to the big one.

Jayop wrote: »
    When was the last time you lads won the league? I honestly think that winning it would be a huge step for you so I don't get the F it attitude a few days ago from a few posters.

That sounds like a great win tonight below. Ye were well behind and I assumed would be beat up a stick but you had to have played really well to get back into it. Well done.

I don't think we are good enough. You are likely going to me a team like Dublin if you get to the final. You need to excel in all departments to beat them, and we don't. Our backs and half backs and goalie(Clarke) over compensate in every game for our lacking forwards and they can't keep doing that.

However it was good to win in Kerry, despite the players missing from the Kerry team. I'd expect most would agree that staying in the division this year would be a good year. If they do get safety they really need to start trying more forwards out. There has to be better available than we have seen in the past two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

The effort it takes out of the players is not worth it plus all the extra games you play. Mid table will be fine for me. The league is about getting the new/ young players game time or to try new things on the pitch.
    Look what happened to the rossies last yr winning everything but when the big boys came out in the semifinal they had no answer.
    It's august when you play the real football not February

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Kerry should have been out of sight in the first half.
    Our ability to win ball bar Andy is very worrying .
    Our build-up play from midfield lack composure hence the amount of turnover ball .
    I'm not worrying about the back six as that will remedy itself . It's the front six and lack of management that will undue is again later .
    Had Kerry not lost Geaney and had Odonohue, them their 3 pints talley in the second half would have been 10 and probably fAir.
    My only hope for the league is to have our mid table secure and get to experiment on Irwin and others upfront.

Why are more of the U21 team not getting a game ?

There are some commitment/discipline issues there, from what I've heard. Some too fond of thr beer and some others are simply not ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PressRun wrote:
    There are some commitment/discipline issues there, from what I've heard. Some too fond of thr beer and some others are simply not ready.

What do you have from it now 3/4 players ? That's about the best you can hope for I think. Plus some lads need the time alright about 23 or so when the body bulks up.

we have plenty of good backs, its up front that really needs to be improved on if we're going to be in with a chance later on in the year.
    I'd like to see patrick durkan tried out in the half forwards. He's a direct runner, pace to burn and can score. worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

we have plenty of good backs, its up front that really needs to be improved on if we're going to be in with a chance later on in the year.
    I'd like to see patrick durkan tried out in the half forwards. He's a direct runner, pace to burn and can score. worth a try!

Two of last years u21 forwards have already had game time in the league in Boland and DOC. It's inside forwards we really need though. Irwin got a few runs in FBD but I'm not sure if he has the pace. Reape is playing with the U 21 again so unlikely to get a chance. In the longer term the likes of O Donaghue from Belmullet looks promising.

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    Two of last years u21 forwards have already had game time in the league in Boland and DOC. It's inside forwards we really need though. Irwin got a few runs in FBD but I'm not sure if he has the pace. Reape is playing with the U 21 again so unlikely to get a chance. In the longer term the likes of O Donaghue from Belmullet looks promising.

agree. we need someone with that real killer insticnt on front of goal.
    conor loftus when he's free of injury could do with some game time. im not sure if he's the answer to our troubles just yet though as good and all as he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

naughto wrote: »
    The effort it takes out of the players is not worth it plus all the extra games you play. Mid table will be fine for me. The league is about getting the new/ young players game time or to try new things on the pitch.
    Look what happened to the rossies last yr winning everything but when the big boys came out in the semifinal they had no answer.
    It's august when you play the real football not February

Who's been winning the league the last twenty years? Teams that have been going on to win all Ireland's.

Who's been winning the league the last twenty years? Teams that have been going on to win all Ireland's.

Teams with a very good bench have being. Or bench is very limited always has being. If we loose any of or top players we would not have cover but teams like dub Kerry Donegal do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

The Mayo support last night was unbelievable. It made me proud. I hope the players felt it too.

Stoner wrote: »
    What do you have from it now 3/4 players ? That's about the best you can hope for I think. Plus some lads need the time alright about 23 or so when the body bulks up.

Some of the ones that have featured this year and some of them last year as well that I expect will get some game time on the senior panel

O'Connor
    Irwin
    Loftus
    Hall
    Boland
    Plunkett
    Coen
    O'Donoghue

Others that may have featured but have not seen much of:
    Reape
    Kenny

And one I don't think will feature this year but certainly will in the future is Shairoze Akram.

Some of the ones that have featured this year and some of them last year as well that I expect will get some game time on the senior panel

O'Connor
    Irwin
    Loftus
    Hall
    Boland
    Plunkett
    Coen
    O'Donoghue

Others that may have featured but have not seen much of:
    Reape
    Kenny

And one I don't think will feature this year but certainly will in the future is Shairoze Akram.

I'd add Matthew Ruane and Seamus Cunniffe to the latter list as both are still u21 this year but have looked nailed on senior material if they have the hunger.

agree. we need someone with that real killer insticnt on front of goal.
    conor loftus when he's free of injury could do with some game time. im not sure if he's the answer to our troubles just yet though as good and all as he is.

Irwin has a nose for goal and a good free taker, but does lack the pace alright. Loftus has the pace and very capable of scoring goals too but seems to be plagued with injuries.

I'd add Matthew Ruane and Seamus Cunniffe to the latter list as both are still u21 this year but have looked nailed on senior material if they have the hunger.

Agreed about Ruane. Cunniffe I would need to see more of to form an opinion to be honest. I've seen him play but he may not have stood out as much as the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Great two points to get. Didn't properly get to see, was watching inside a packed pub but have it recorded so will watch it back tonight. Takes the pressure off us big time against the Rossies but that's still a game we should be winning in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It was a strange sort of contest that could be viewed through the prism of a possible all ireland semi final match up looming further down the track.

Before talking about our lads it appears that Kerry are motoring along nicely with a seamless transition of their many talented minors and under 21s into the first team.With the absentee Croke lads,late absentee James O Donoghue and the only brief cameo of Paul Geaney(a lot of the Kerry players appear to having issues with their hamstrings).I was immensely impressed with them in first half.Their kickpassing and interplay was poetry in motion.It was alarming how easily they cut through our defence like a knife through butter.Very impressed with Jack Barry and Jack Savage in that first half.Kerry should have been well and truly out of sight after the first half,a ten point lead would scarcely have flattered them,David Clarke’s penalty save was crucial.Defensively there are weaknesses to be exploited in this Kerry team,(Shane Enright’s absence would be a huge loss to any team) with Cillian O Connor’s below par freetaking keeping us in touch.Dublin’s three in a row coronation is’nt the foregone outcome many predict.

Our performance in the first half was very disappointing,off the pace,sloppy hand and kickpassing with little in the way of an outlet up front.Andy Moran performed miracles up front considering how isolated he was in the first half.He is such a clever player with his skillset and game intelligence more than compensating for any loss of pace.He gave Mark Griffin a torrid time throughout the contest.Our second half performance was a significant step up in intensity yet we continue to rely on Moran and O Connor for any sort of penetration.We are not scoring sufficiently from play and are having to work far too hard for same.It is disappointing that we failed to take any of our goal chances and that as yet that some of the new lads have not stepped up.Perhaps one is expecting too much.Donie Newcombe was given a bit of a run around in the first half.It is hard to see David Drake breaking into the half back line and Paddy Durkan is wasted playing so deep.Fergal Boland’s footpassing is top notch,Conor O Shea is a very hard worker but needs to be contributing more on the scoreboard.Evan Regan needs to start developing on his promise,he appears to have a tendency to be a tad impetuous in temperament…silly black card.Stephen Coen is likely to be pushing hard for a starting position come championship.He appears to have many of the attributes suited to a top class centre back.Shane Nally did very well during his brief cameo.It is great to see Stephen Rochford introducing this relatively new talent into the mix during the league….Danny Kirby,Eoin O Donoghue and the others mentioned.

Looking forward to the Roscommon game a hell of a lot more now that we’ve two points on the board.

• Advertisement

Agreed about Ruane. Cunniffe I would need to see more of to form an opinion to be honest. I've seen him play but he may not have stood out as much as the others.

Agreed,Ruane if his attitude is right is a nailed down starter for the senior team in time to come.

Cunniffe has that bit more to prove,Liam Irwin could learn much from Andy Moran who was never naturally blessed with blistering pace but who has great spatial awareness and an ability to make all the right runs.He is a very good freetaker off the ground with his ciotóg and an eye for a goal yet from what I've seen of him he does'nt work hard enough and requires the perfect ball.Oftentimes the game appears to pass him by.

Liam Irwin would want to get the finger out if he's going to get his chance. I'd have serious question marks over him, both in terms of his playing style and his attitude.

Liam Irwin would want to get the finger out if he's going to get his chance. I'd have serious question marks over him, both in terms of his playing style and his attitude.

It would be a crying shame if he didn't make it through lack of application as he has all the physical presence that we are missing close to goal and like Andy seems to be cute enough to be in the right place when a goal chance is on. He is not blessed with much pace but then neither is Dean Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

It would be a crying shame if he didn't make it through lack of application as he has all the physical presence that we are missing close to goal and like Andy seems to be cute enough to be in the right place when a goal chance is on. He is not blessed with much pace but then neither is Dean Rock.

I think pace is an issue with him alright. On Parkinson's 'the gaa hour', he listed out a few players from mayos U21 team (Irwin was one) that played in the FBD this year. His point was they were pretty much all dropped for players like freeman and regan once league started. Wouldn't really fill those players with confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Liam is very young lads but he has the ability to be an excellent full forward. Keep him in the panel and training with the lads and he will get there.

For me, after last night's game and after Roscommon's result against Donegal, we need to be careful going into the next one. Roscommon will be desperate for the win, so no room for complacency.

Based on last night's game, Clarke is going well, though his long range kickouts are still fairly dodgy. He needs to work on this. We will be in bother later in the year with his kickouts if/when teams push up on us.

I really would like to see Cillian closer to goal, tbh. He is all over the place at the moment and given the lack of options up front, I think it would be handy to get him back into scoring goals and whatnot.

Donal Vaughan was running around like a headless chicken again last night.

The back line were cut open rather easily last night, which is worrying. We need Keegan, Cafferky and Harrison back.

Stephen Coen is worth persisting with, but I don't know if he'll keep his starting place when the squad returns to full strength. Same for Donie Newcombe.

Not sure what's going to happen with Freeman and Regan. That Freeman didn't get a go last night might be worrying for his future on the panel. What do people think about Jason Doherty's prospects this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I think this guy is just starting out and needs a bit of time. I would go pointing the finger on some established players before I would pinpoint a new recruit to the panel. He just needs a bit of time to settle down.

For me, after last night's game and after Roscommon's result against Donegal, we need to be careful going into the next one. Roscommon will be desperate for the win, so no room for complacency.

Based on last night's game, Clarke is going well, though his long range kickouts are still fairly dodgy. He needs to work on this. We will be in bother later in the year with his kickouts if/when teams push up on us.

I really would like to see Cillian closer to goal, tbh. He is all over the place at the moment and given the lack of options up front, I think it would be handy to get him back into scoring goals and whatnot.

Donal Vaughan was running around like a headless chicken again last night.

The back line were cut open rather easily last night, which is worrying. We need Keegan, Cafferky and Harrison back.

Stephen Coen is worth persisting with, but I don't know if he'll keep his starting place when the squad returns to full strength. Same for Donie Newcombe.

Not sure what's going to happen with Freeman and Regan. That Freeman didn't get a go last night might be worrying for his future on the panel. What do people think about Jason Doherty's prospects this year?

Doherty has being rubbish for a long time now he's had plenty of chances same with freeman

statto25 wrote: »
    Liam is very young lads but he has the ability to be an excellent full forward. Keep him in the panel and training with the lads and he will get there.

Agree with the above. I heard he celebrated the under 21 win a fair bit but appears to have settled a bit now. He needs time and experience. He does not have speed on his side and one thing we are not short of is slow forwards so he'll have to show his scoring ability to displace anyone from the current section.

As for Doherty, I'd have him a had of Freeman. Freeman is turning into this mythical forward that improves each time he doesn't play. Feeney seemed to have a similar aura about him.
    By the same token Doherty is falling in my estimation but he does put in a lot of hard work but does not add as much as I'd like to the scoresheet. The problem is who do we have to take his place and do the role that he does.

• Advertisement

Agree with the above. I heard he celebrated the under 21 win a fair bit but appears to have settled a bit now. He needs time and experience. He does not have speed on his side and one thing we are not short of is slow forwards so he'll have to show his scoring ability to displace anyone from the current section.

As for Doherty, I'd have him a had of Freeman. Freeman is turning into this mythical forward that improves each time he doesn't play. Feeney seemed to have a similar aura about him.
    By the same token Doherty is falling in my estimation but he does put in a lot of hard work but does not add as much as I'd like to the scoresheet. The problem is who do we have to take his place and do the role that he does.

I definitely believe Jason Doherty has regressed as a player,he still has a ferocious workrate and is physically well capable of holding his own but he simply doesn't trouble the scoreboard enough.

Not sure that mythological stature attaches to Alan Freeman any longer,that largely arose after the fall out of the 2013 All Ireland final.I think it's at this stage well established he's never quite siezed the opportunities afforded to him in the interim.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement