Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

Well done Westport! First time hanging around in Croker after the final whistle on finals day for a Mayo team (didn't leave till nearly 6 o clock)! It's a nice experience..... :).

Couple of cracking points by Shane Scott. I'd say that 50 yarder is one of the scores of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Not good news for Kevin Keane, I've heard. Don't think we'll see him play again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

PressRun wrote: »
    Not good news for Kevin Keane, I've heard. Don't think we'll see him play again this year.

Mayo news confirmed this morning it's a cruciate injury

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

km79 wrote: »

Oh! Thats a real shame. Caff will be back so cover will be there.

That's what I heard, didn't know if it had been confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

That's terrible news.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

ah hard luck on kevin. was looking forward to seeing him this year

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

What tv programme would you be watching if you saw a mayo man with the Sam maguire? Crimeline.HAHAHAHA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

What tv programme would you be watching if you saw a mayo man with the Sam maguire? Crimeline.HAHAHAHA

Well arnt you the funny man.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Kalyke wrote: »
    Well arnt you the funny man.....:rolleyes:

He'll be banned again, for the 2nd time.

But God does love simpletons! :D

yop wrote: »
    He'll be banned again, for the 2nd time.

But God does love simpletons! :D

Ah here,all in the name of fun me old fishhead.

Can we bring back robeman with his "EGOS" to liven things up? Rumour has it he won't even drive through breaffy village anymore for fear that the O'Sheas would have a road block set up.
    Won't be long til they have a pirate flag flying top mast at the shamrock pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Relax on the trolling there buddy.

Not a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Was it Robeman that was mad for the conspiracy theories?? I'm sure he'll be back come August if the season is still going

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

Anyone know how teams involved in the latter stages of the All Ireland club championship tend to do in their own County's championship/league the following year?
    Westport look a really good team who are organised and can shoot the lights out on their day. In the Mayo championship they seem to have kicked lots of wides in a lot of games. How do you see them doing at senior next year? Kiltimagh are now a solid intermediate team with aspirations of going back to senior after an All Ireland appearance at Junior not too long ago. Westport will have had a long season when the championship rolls around! Great to see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's really tough on Keane, and it leaves Mayo with very few options at full back.

Cafferkey is still not ready to start and maybe won't be until championship time.

I know they functioned from the QF onwards last year with a recognized full back but it would be handy to have a fit one all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The full back line ye deployed against Kerry was pretty effective.

Newcombe has really impressed me so far, he's got pace and is an intelligent man marker. Durcan has great pace and is an option to move put the field if a team goes with 2 men inside. Higgins is a seasoned veteran inside. Obviously not ideal to have him locked up at Full Back, but Seamus Moynihan was one of the best Full Backs of his generation, despite being a terrifically talented Half Back. These sort of players will do a top job for you wherever you put them on the pitch.

You are just missing a bit of a physical presence, which is less of a worry when you look out and see Lee Keegan, Colm Boyle and Donal Vaughan tracking back as extra protection. You've got the pace to deal with the initial threat followed by the physical presence to swamp the forward if he wins the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

DDC1990 wrote: »

Newcombe has really impressed me so far, he's got pace and is an intelligent man marker. Durcan has great pace and is an option to move put the field if a team goes with 2 men inside. Higgins is a seasoned veteran inside. Obviously not ideal to have him locked up at Full Back, but Seamus Moynihan was one of the best Full Backs of his generation, despite being a terrifically talented Half Back. These sort of players will do a top job for you wherever you put them on the pitch.

Hmm, I think you are letting the result blot out the first half performance a bit too much.

First thing to remember, none of o'donoghue, gooch, donaghy or Geaney were on the field either at all or for very long. Had even one of them lasted the full first half, Kerry could well have been out of sight.
    Secondly, imagine that was a big championship game, and we had lost, would we view the first half performances of Newcombe, Durcan and co in the same light? (Think Kevin Keane in 2012) The result shouldn't come into that to be honest, yet here it seems to define the entire narrative. That is a mistake.

Don't get me wrong, I rate Newcombe and could never understand why he didn't feature more for mayo over the years. But we need to be careful not to read too much into a win in February, the same way we didn't read too much into the loss to Monaghan in February. It's 2 points and some hot and cold performances, bar andy moran, against a second string kerry team. No more, no less. Both sides stayed away from their championship gameplan because they were sizing each other up for august.

Also, Moynihan was really good in the air in fairness to him. Plus target men weren't in fashion so much when he was in there. He probably wouldn't be named to play there now, he would very likely be the sweeper. It is important to play the game in front of us, rather than doing something just because someone else did it.

Admittedly it is early days and February is not the time of year for deciding Championship teams, but I wouldn't be putting the idea of those three to bed just yet.

I wouldn't count on Cafferky being back at any level this year with the severity of his injury.

What other options are there?

Admittedly it is early days and February is not the time of year for deciding Championship teams, but I wouldn't be putting the idea of those three to bed just yet.

I wouldn't count on Cafferky being back at any level this year with the severity of his injury.

What other options are there?

Im not putting it to bed either, im simply pointing out the need for balance in our assessments for the good of the team. We have a bad habit of building up expectancy in mayo. It is something we as fans can improve on.
    It isnt only the players that need to learn from experience...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

O shea out for sat with a ankle injury surprised it's not mentioned here all ready

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Unless you mean Conor, it was reported the 2 boys are out til March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

Lukekul wrote: »
    Unless you mean Conor, it was reported the 2 boys are out til March

I was full sure he was back in training.

Is it normal for the rossies to have a special train on for the game on sat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

So we have virtually no midfield for the next match. Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Will the Rossies have a team? We could suggest 13 a side.

That's really tough on Keane, and it leaves Mayo with very few options at full back.

Cafferkey is still not ready to start and maybe won't be until championship time.

I know they functioned from the QF onwards last year with a recognized full back but it would be handy to have a fit one all the same.

Awful bad luck for Keane, looking on the bright side, it'll just mean there's another mayo man with an AI medal by the end of the year :)

It would be great to have him but we always seem to deal with any setbacks in defence. Clarke is a great asset to have in the absence of a FB for now.

You are just missing a bit of a physical presence, which is less of a worry when you look out and see Lee Keegan, Colm Boyle and Donal Vaughan tracking back as extra protection. You've got the pace to deal with the initial threat followed by the physical presence to swamp the forward if he wins the ball.

It's the one area that I'm never really concerned about. We've plenty of talent to fill 6/7 defensive spots. Durcan and Harrison should push on for what was a fantastic season for them last year.

Moynihan was some player. My favourite growing up. Which was odd because I would have gotten a nosebleed if I entered my own half. He was a joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

We could play McHale at MF, sicken them altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Good news for Mayo is they arent playing Dublin until round 4 and more midfield options will be available by then. The midfield pairing Roscommon finished the Donegal game with and will likely start on Saturday was one a lad just out of U21 level and plays his club football with an intermedate club and the other lad is U21 from 2015 a half forward who just made his senior debut for the Roscommon seniors this year.

Presumably Jason Gibbons and Donie Vaughan will start in the middle of the park?We are truly decimated with Danny Kirby and Tom Parsons both suspended and Barry Moran and the O Shea brothers marked absent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

seligehgit wrote: »
    Presumably Jason Gibbons and Donie Vaughan will start in the middle of the park?We are truly decimated with Danny Kirby and Tom Parsons both suspended and Barry Moran and the O Shea brothers marked absent.

Coen did well there with Parsons for the second half against Kerry. I'd prefer to see him there again than Vaughan who looks woefully off the pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

You'd imagine Coen will be midfield partnered with either Vaughan or Gibbons alright. Not too concerned about the loss of Kirby in the sense that I'd rather Coen got the opportunity to play midfield before Kirby. Coen needs to be a good player for us going forward

Also seen Mayo county board are voting in favour of the Super 8 style championship? WTF is wrong with us as an organisation. It's clearly a terrible idea.

Good news for Mayo is they arent playing Dublin until round 4 and more midfield options will be available by then. The midfield pairing Roscommon finished the Donegal game with and will likely start on Saturday was one a lad just out of U21 level and plays his club football with an intermedate club and the other lad is U21 from 2015 a half forward who just made his senior debut for the Roscommon seniors this year.

Dangerous to judge players on their club level. The best player in Ireland this year played Intermediate club football with Westport.

Panrich wrote: »
    Coen did well there with Parsons for the second half against Kerry. I'd prefer to see him there again than Vaughan who looks woefully off the pace.

Yes Donal Vaughan is a tad ring rusty thus far but I'd imagine Stephen Coen will continue in the half backs as Lee Keegan will hardly be fit for the fray after his exertions with Westport.All presuming Jason Gibbons is fit for action.

mayo.mick wrote: »

That was a great oul scrap between Kirby and Parsons all the same...

Also seen Mayo county board are voting in favour of the Super 8 style championship? WTF is wrong with us as an organisation. It's clearly a terrible idea.

The county whose club players were probably put out the most of any county last year, vote to lump even more games into the mix...
    They are clearly out of touch with football in the county.

Also, the fact that we played 9 games last year has yet to be mentioned in any of the conversations about our spending - handy that...

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

i remember vaughan being ring rusty last year and he came good. he has a great engine on him..great for driving at teams but hes really not a midfielder nor defender.
    kirby was acting the b****x getting involved in that, he'd want to concentrate more on the football instead of always jumping in looking for a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Dangerous to judge players on their club level. The best player in Ireland this year played Intermediate club football with Westport.

In fairness before becoming the best player in Ireland Lee Keegan had years of experience playing senior football at both club and county level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

The county whose club players were probably put out the most of any county last year, vote to lump even more games into the mix...
    They are clearly out of touch with football in the county.

No argument there. The Super8 idea is about revenue generation and viewing numbers. It is the start of a professional tier with the GAA.
    Also, the fact that we played 9 games last year has yet to be mentioned in any of the conversations about our spending - handy that...

The annual spend figures on IC for each county is a meaningless figure, unless a breakdown is provided. Literally the only thing that can be discerned from it is a trend of spend for each county, year on year

In this case we can conclude that year on year spend for Mayos IC setup has jumped considerably. Every other conclusion drawn, or mitigating factor mentioned, is speculation of some sort or extent.

Personally, I would have though that the number Senior Championship games played would have a small enough (but maybe still significant) bearing on spend for a whole County across all Grades and Disciplines. Again, without a breakdown, conjecture.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yes Donal Vaughan is a tad ring rusty thus far but I'd imagine Stephen Coen will continue in the half backs as Lee Keegan will hardly be fit for the fray after his exertions with Westport.All presuming Jason Gibbons is fit for action.

Lee won't be within an asses roar of McHale Park this weekend from what I've heard. And rightly so.

Jaden wrote: »
    The annual spend figures on IC for each county is a meaningless figure, unless a breakdown is provided. Literally the only thing that can be discerned from it is a trend of spend for each county, year on year

I wouldn't agree with that necessarily. For example, if there is an increase of say 30 grand, and everything was the same from year 1 to year 2, bar the team going into oxygen tanks between replays for example, you could make a fairly strong case that the 30 grand was spend on the oxygen tank recuperation.

Jaden wrote: »
    In this case we can conclude that year on year spend for Mayos IC setup has jumped considerably. Every other conclusion drawn, or mitigating factor mentioned, is speculation of some sort or extent.

Personally, I would have though that the number Senior Championship games played would have a small enough (but maybe still significant) bearing on spend for a whole County across all Grades and Disciplines. Again, without a breakdown, conjecture.

Again, not really. For starters, we know 150,000 of mayo's money this year, was actually not from this year at all. No conjecture there - that can be 100% dismissed from this year's figures.
    Secondly, we know that mayo played a higher amount of games in hurling and u21 football and womens football last year, as well as their highest ever amount of senior football games in a season. Straight away, that means the season goes on longer, which means the spending goes on longer. If you compare our spending to seasons where we were knocked out earlier, what becomes clear is that the more games and the longer the season, the bigger the bill.

The only conjecture I can see is your assertion that more games doesn't mean more costs... Travel expenses, accommodation, food, doctors, physios - all free for those extra games apparently...

If we divide the figure by the number of games involved we get a better reflection of what counties were spending to put teams on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

PARlance wrote: »
    Lee won't be within an asses roar of McHale Park this weekend from what I've heard. And rightly so.
    Its not like hes been overplayed. The
    Intermediate Connacht final was played at the end of November and the All Ireland semi final against Kenmare was played at the end of January. Last Sunday he was fittest man on the field in Croke park and the likes of the O Connors,Higgins and Boyle have probably played more games this year than Keegan and need a rest before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Intermediate Connacht final was played at the end of November and the All Ireland semi final against Kenmare was played at the end of January. Last Sunday he was fittest man on the field in Croke park and the likes of the O Connors,Higgins and Boyle have probably played more games this year than Keegan and need a rest before him.

Needing a rest in February?! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

That was a great oul scrap between Kirby and Parsons all the same...

Any Kerry players banned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

PARlance wrote: »
    He just won an all Ireland
    Deserves the time to enjoy it
    May be on the bench at most I'd have thought

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

He has probably been celebrating winning an All-Ireland medal.....Well worth celebrating and hopefully more to come........

Gael85 wrote:
    Any Kerry players banned?

Just found out that Peter Crowley and Donnacha Walsh received 1 match bans and are appealing tonight.

It'a fair as long as they are consistant about it and ban all players that have any part in a brawl all the way through league and championship.

None of the 4 players banned threw any sort of strike. But if it cuts down on these stupid schmozzles then i'm all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Just found out that Peter Crowley and Donnacha Walsh received 1 match bans and are appealing tonight.

It'a fair as long as they are consistant about it and ban all players that have any part in a brawl all the way through league and championship.

None of the 4 players banned threw any sort of strike. But if it cuts down on these stupid schmozzles then i'm all for it.

GAA always at this craic league, early championship though come August bank holiday the rules differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Mayos championship season went into October last year and they had more games than they originally planned with the qualifer route. Boyle,Higgins etc have a lot of mileage on the clock and should be used much less/rested this time of year and left fresher for the championship.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement