Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

Its not like hes been overplayed. The
    Intermediate Connacht final was played at the end of November and the All Ireland semi final against Kenmare was played at the end of January. Last Sunday he was fittest man on the field in Croke park and the likes of the O Connors,Higgins and Boyle have probably played more games this year than Keegan and need a rest before him.

He will be doing well to be even on the bench after week on the beer. They deserve to celebrate it is only the rossies after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2017/02/23/4135522-adam-gallagher-is-back-in-mayo-senior-squad/

Nice to see if he can make it. He was really promising a few years back but just didn't make it but maybe the time out might push him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2017/02/23/4135522-adam-gallagher-is-back-in-mayo-senior-squad/

Nice to see if he can make it. He was really promising a few years back but just didn't make it but maybe the time out might push him on.

Delighted Adam Gallagher is getting another chance,he did indeed show great promise during his previous time on the panel.Pretty unlucky with injuries.He continued to impress whilst playing for NUIG after he was dropped from the senior panel.Hopefully he'll stay injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Two changes to the team.. Jason Gibbons and Diarmuid O Connor come in for Conor O Shea and Tom Parsons.

1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
    2. Donie Newcombe (Castlebar Mitchels)
    3. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
    4. Paddy Durcan(Castlebar Mitchels)
    5. Stephen Coen (Hollymount/Carramore)
    6. Colm Boyle (Davitts)
    7. David Drake (Ballaghaderreen)
    8. Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe)
    9. Jason Gibbons (Ballintubber)
    10. Fergal Boland (Aghamore)
    11. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
    12. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)
    13. Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)
    14. Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber, Capt)
    15. Jason Doherty (Burrishoole)

Team Manager: Stephen Rochford
    Selectors: Donie Buckley,Peter Burke and Tony McEntee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PARlance wrote: »
    Lee won't be within an asses roar of McHale Park this weekend from what I've heard. And rightly so.

I heard wrong! Apparently was heading for a weekend away with the Westport lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Excellent fare so far in the Park tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Some decent play but Newcombe getting caught out a couple of times now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Roscommon gone backwards big time in space of a year.

Is Dublin Joe blind?

All Ireland sub goal keeper MOTM once again. :eek:

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with that. He contributed handsomely to a facile win for Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

.... and All Star :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Delighted with that, some lovely scores taken.

Clarke is born-again hard, kickouts aside, he's the best in the country at the moment no doubt about it.

Very impressed with Fergal Boland, he looks like a real find.

Kevin and the brother in law will find it hard to take any positives from this. Very light through the middle, not nearly enough strength and conditioning done and their best players nowhere near the panel. They look certs for the drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

padd b1975 wrote: »

Clarke is born-again hard, kickouts aside, he's the best in the country at the moment no doubt about it.

Kevin and the brother in law will find it hard to take any positives from this. Very light through the middle, not nearly enough strength and conditioning done and their best players nowhere near the panel. They look certs for the drop.

He didn't give possession away once from what I saw.

padd b1975 wrote: »

I would be embarrassed to be associated with that Rossie team. Wouldn't be surprised to see the two boyos getting the chop (or walking) in the next week or so.

Some very encouraging performances tonight. Boland looks like he's been around for years. Clarke was class but would still worry about kickouts, surely they can sort that out before the summer. Delighted to see Kevin Mc doing what he does best (i.e not sweeping). Loftus looked lively when he came on, himself and Boland could be massive this year.

My new half forward slotted over a nice point, he looks like he has had a good winter too does Leeroy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

The only negatives is its worry amount of goal chances we keep giving up. Can't keep relying on Clarke on bailing defence out. Other than that another satisfying win against the "not so" noisy neighbours

Cillian is a great man for picking out a pass. He was letting the ball in beautifully all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Have to call it out that Roscommon were woeful. Not sure if McStay will walk away as other poster suggested. It would reflect poorly on him.

Savage score by Diarmuid O'Connor in first half. Surprised to see him at mid field and he did well. Plus Jason Gibbons was strong and tacked a nice point.

For me Fergal Boland has been a real find and the couple of scores he got showed his confidence. He faded out of game in second half to a degree. A little more bulk and he could be a consistent face in the team over next few years.

Harrison showed experience with the fisted point when he bore down on goal. Smart choice.

Conor O'Shea disappointing and some of the wides were out the gate! A big man all the same.

Looking forward to Dublin game next week......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

finisklin wrote: »
    Have to call it out that Roscommon were woeful. Not sure if McStay will walk away as other poster suggested. It would reflect poorly on him.

Savage score by Diarmuid O'Connor in first half. Surprised to see him at mid field and he did well. Plus Jason Gibbons was strong and tacked a nice point.

For me Fergal Boland has been a real find and the couple of scores he got showed his confidence. He faded out of game in second half to a degree. A little more bulk and he could be a consistent face in the team over next few years.

Harrison showed experience with the fisted point when he bore down on goal. Smart choice.

Conor O'Shea disappointing and some of the wides were out the gate! A big man all the same.

Looking forward to Dublin game next week......

I thought Conor O'Shea was decent enough to be fair. Did a lot of the hard work down the lines, makes space for himself and able to pick out his man. Had a wide or 2 but we had 15 of them this evening.

Very impressed with Boland.

Delighted with Loftus getting a brace off the bench. I could not understand how the ref allowed as much of the pulling and dragging out him by the Roscommon backs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Any nights a good night when u send the stealer home empty handed. The buck behind me "Stick up the flag" after they had a clocked a few. And the "Ah show the bottlers how its done" was a quite lad! :D

Clarke was unreal. What if, last October :(

Cillian was absolutely unreal. His passing and level of work was excellent. Can't have any complaints about any of the players. I like the look of Coen, Boland, Loftus.

Lovely night, first win at a Mayo game for my 3 year old.

3 night creamy pints, now its time to have some craic on Hogan Stand! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Blackjack wrote: »
    I thought Conor O'Shea was decent enough to be fair. Did a lot of the hard work down the lines, makes space for himself and able to pick out his man. Had a wide or 2 but we had 15 of them this evening.

Very impressed with Boland.

Delighted with Loftus getting a brace off the bench. I could not understand how the ref allowed as much of the pulling and dragging out him by the Roscommon backs.

I should add however that Roscommon were poor enough. While I do enjoy it when Mayo beat them it's not great signs for them and I'd rather have them competitive than not, as long as it's not at our expense.

Looking very likely they will be playing Division 2 next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

We are in MUCH better shape than this time last year
    And we went damn close last year..........

The rossies were as disjointed a team as I've seen in recent years.
    No game plan evident
    Bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Am I the only one seeing problems here.

Kerry could have scored 3/4 goals in the first half. A terrible Ross side had 3/4 1 on 1s!! There's gaps there! Serious gaps!!

When we play Dublin, even though they're not focusing on goals, more so possession, they could open us up. And I mean big time!

On the positive, Conor Loftus looked excellent! A real forward! The instinct was there!

80s Child wrote: »
    Am I the only one seeing problems here.

Kerry could have scored 3/4 goals in the first half. A terrible Ross side had 3/4 1 on 1s!! There's gaps there! Serious gaps!!

When we play Dublin, even though they're not focusing on goals, more so possession, they could open us up. And I mean big time!

On the positive, Conor Loftus looked excellent! A real forward! The instinct was there!

I think we will play a sweeper next week

And YES loftus looks good
    And he is strong too
    Boland kicked 2 quality points and has a great eye for a pass but is small .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

12 different scorers, something like 16 of the 20 scores from play.

They are not stats you hear much about Mayo.

Good to get the win, make no mistake about it though it's only February and Roscommon are brutal.

4 points is not enough to secure Div 1 status but it goes all long way towards it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

Can some one tell me why or sub county goalkeeper will not play tomorrow for his club yet be named and linded out for mayo today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Lovely boost tonight it was a beautiful game of football to watch. Everything seemed to work like a well oiled machine and Clarkes saves were magnificent.

Roscommon were gone from 5 minutes in but in all fairness and respect to them they kept going without decending the game into a fracca like "them up there" would have done. They seemed tired or resigned, but I hope they get themselves together for the championship and bring it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

yop wrote: »
    Lovely night, first win at a Mayo game for my 3 year old.

3 night creamy pints, now its time to have some craic on Hogan Stand! :D

Your 3 year old had 3 creamy pints to settle after the match, to allow you some free time!!! :)
    Can't say I blame the child, I was overexcited too. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

km79 wrote: »
    I think we will play a sweeper next week

And YES loftus looks good
    And he is strong too
    Boland kicked 2 quality points and has a great eye for a pass but is small .......

Kicked an absolutely sublime ball into space for COC who shoud have passed to Reagan but still, was wonderful awareness from him

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

naughto wrote: »
    Can some one tell me why or sub county goalkeeper will not play tomorrow for his club yet be named and linded out for mayo today

Why don't you ask him yourself? Maybe he has other commitments than football of a Sunday....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

The reason that the Rossie's were poor was that their midfield was non existent. It changed a little in second half when the full forward came out to midfield.

Their were completely out maneuvered, out smarted and out muscled at midfield. Our dominance was reflected in this area at half time.

It could be a long year for Roscommon after such high hopes last year. They need Kilbride back pronto.

I think we will play a sweeper next week.

Looking forward to seeing who that will be.

naughto wrote: »

I dunno, was he out skulling pints with you?

We will play a dedicated sweeper and more than likely McLoughlin. He is playing very well in his natural position though... Maybe DOC to fill that role or overall more disciplined approach in defence. The Dubs will gobble up those chances. When Boyle went off it affected the shape too

Fowler87 wrote: »
    We will play a dedicated sweeper and more than likely McLoughlin. He is playing very well in his natural position though... Maybe DOC to fill that role or overall more disciplined approach in defence. The Dubs will gobble up those chances. When Boyle went off it affected the shape too

I hope it's not McLoughlin, he's too valuable where he is and is back showing good form... my money is on Vaughen being thrown in there to see how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

PARlance wrote: »
    I hope it's not McLoughlin, he's too valuable where he is and is back showing good form... my money is on Vaughen being thrown in there to see how it works.

I thought the half forward line last night worked very well. All three of McLoughlin Boland and COC can deliver good ball. Boland reminds me of a young Alan Dillon. The creativity from this line far exceeded what we're used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fehenry

The highlight of the night for me is the fact than Adam Gallagher is now fit enough to re-join the panel. It was a desperate pity that he got badly injured in one of his first competitive games for the seniors. From what I saw of him before his injury, he'll be a massive addition to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Cillian seems to be all over the field, sweeping at full back at one stage last night.
    Could there be a plan to deploy Aidan at FF when he's back, with Cillian landing in more accurate ball he can win and bury in the net?
    Just a thought.

Cillian seems to be all over the field, sweeping at full back at one stage last night.
    Could there be a plan to deploy Aidan at FF when he's back, with Cillian landing in more accurate ball he can win and bury in the net?
    Just a thought.

I said the same last night
    Aidan and Andy in 2 man full forward line

Jason gibbons back is another very good option midfield so frees Aidan to move into forward line

Roscommon were awful, so it's hard to judge exactly where we are. We won't get that kind of space against better teams. Next weekend will be a real test for the likes of Boland. Not sure how Newcombe will get on, thought he struggled last night.

• Advertisement

PressRun wrote: »
    Roscommon were awful, so it's hard to judge exactly where we are. We won't get that kind of space against better teams. Next weekend will be a real test for the likes of Boland. Not sure how Newcombe will get on, thought he struggled last night.

He was very poor alright

One thing for sure, Mayo need to beat dublin next weekend....Go all out. I think it is important to get out the right side of them after the last few losses and it will be a huge experience for Boland, Loftus etc. This unbeaten run needs to be fully cracked now and although Donegal looking good at the moment, I still expect Dublin to come back.

If the beat Dublin next weekend, they should go to win the League.

I said the same last night
    Aidan and Andy in 2 man full forward line

Jason gibbons back is another very good option midfield so frees Aidan to move into forward line

Ya AOS at FF is the only place for him but they need to improve the supply to him and in turn he needs to improve his runs (like Andy does). I would be slightly worried about Andy having the legs especially once you hit Croke park in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

mayo were good last night but against a weak roscommon team. great to see all the different scorers but it will be toatally diffrent nxt week.

Results went in our favour today

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

anyone have the tables?

Would it not have been better for Monaghan to lose to Kerry, since they beat Mayo, but Mayo beat Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I`m not too sure on that count.

Would it not suited better if Kerry had beaten Monaghan, and with two draws in a row there may be a bit of a backlash from Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

One thing for sure, Mayo need to beat dublin next weekend....Go all out. I think it is important to get out the right side of them after the last few losses and it will be a huge experience for Boland, Loftus etc. This unbeaten run needs to be fully cracked now and although Donegal looking good at the moment, I still expect Dublin to come back.

If the beat Dublin next weekend, they should go to win the League.

I think Dublin's unbeaten run is there for the taking, I'm not sure how important it is to Dublin either, but as another poster suggested two draws in a row may refocus them.

• Advertisement

Not just two draws, but they've been poor the last two matches too. I'm sure they'll be looking to get a hold of things next time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement