Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I think Dublin's unbeaten run is there for the taking, I'm not sure how important it is to Dublin either, but as another poster suggested two draws in a row may refocus them.

Ya I agree it is there but nobody has beaten them. Somebody needs to beat them and there is one county who badly needs to do this so I think we should go all out for it. On top of that it would set us up for a crack at the league as well. Any national title would be welcomed at this stage and put back some more confidence into the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Delighted with the performance irrespective of the standard of opposition.Conditions on the night were ideal.After a slow start we seldom took the foot off the pedal.

David Clarke continues to excel in goals,Donie Newcombe really struggled in the corner.For a man celebrating his 32nd birthday yesterday I thought Keith Higgins was excellent at full back and it was a welcome sight to see him head up the field on his explosive forays.He is too restricted in this position,we need more out of him going forward.

Sadly no sign of Ger Cafferkey's imminent return.Stephen Coen continues to impress in the half backs.

Jason Gibbons is a great option for midfield with Tom Parsons available next week.

There was mention made of how similar Fergal Boland is in style of play to Alan Dillon,his ability to pick a pass and take a score.It is uncanny the resemblance.Kevin McLoughlin is back playing as well as he ever has.

The O Connor brothers ooze quality but Diarmuid in particular tends in my opinion to operate too deep where he's less of a threat.His work rate is simply phenomenal.

Cillian was superb last night,quality scores from play and placed balls excepting the initial free.He works in tandem with Andy Moran so well.What on earth did Andy have to win a free off Joe McQuillan?Evan Regan is still struggling in the corner.Conor Loftus's cameo was one of pure quality,he'll surely be competing very strongly for a starting position come championship if he stays injury free.

Great to see Brendan Harrison get a run out,he'll surely be coming back in at corner back.Shane Nally has been very unlucky not to get a start thus far in the league,a quality footballer.

I found it fascinating to note how the team are coping minus the two more senior O Shea brothers.Seamus will have a fight on his hands for a starting spot and the imponderable...how best do we bring out the talents of one Aidan O Shea?

What can one say about Lee Keegan?The more I've seen of him down through the years,he appears to just coast through games.He is pure quality.How could one doubt he'd be fit for the fray post his exertions on and off the pitch post Westport's All Ireland win.

Can't wait for Croker next week!There has never been a more opportune moment to make a statement of intent and finally beat Dublin whilst ending their unbeaten record,no easy feat.Tyrone and Donegal have gone close but no cigar so to speak.Here's hoping,if I was a betting man I'd imagine Diarmuid Connolly will be starting next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I think Dublin will field a stronger side next week than what started today.

Diarmuid did well last night but I too want to see him in a more attacking role. I think we will have to employ a sweeper of some sort next week. The defence is not in good enough shape at the moment. We really need a steady fullback.

I wouldn't be throwing either of the O'Sheas back in straight away when they're fit. We're coping just fine without them at the moment and sometimes I think when Aiden is on the field, things run through him too much and we're less creative up front. I'm not opposed to the idea of using Aiden as an impact sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

seligehgit wrote: »
    What can one say about Lee Keegan?The more I've seen of him down through the years,he appears to just coast through games.He is pure quality.How could one doubt he'd be fit for the fray post his exertions on and off the pitch post Westport's All Ireland win.

Keegan is a top player. I think people tend to forget that he is put on the most influential player and in turn his true game is compromised for the sake of the team. He is truly a fantastic talent for Mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

PressRun wrote: »

I wouldn't be throwing either of the O'Sheas back in straight away when they're fit. We're coping just fine without them at the moment and sometimes I think when Aiden is on the field, things run through him too much and we're less creative up front. I'm not opposed to the idea of using Aiden as an impact sub.

spot on. we're less predictable with our forward play at the minute and mixed it up well with a good spread of scores last night.
    aiden still has a big role to play but i liked what i seen last night without predictably lumping in big high balls to him where hes treble marked a lot of the time and ends up losing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Mcloughlin had (another)good game. has really made a place for himself on the team. Comfortable on the ball and great link play.
    Ok its only feb but seems like the bench will be stronger this year and thats huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Mcloughlin had (another)good game. has really made a place for himself on the team. Comfortable on the ball and great link play.
    Ok its only feb but seems like the bench will be stronger this year and thats huge.

McLoughlin has been one of our most consistent players for the past 6 years. He's started the vast majority of games in that time too so of all our players he's probably the one who's jersey has been least likely to go to another.

Our Bench certainly does appear to be a lot stronger this year with far more options and many who would be subs challenging hard for a starting place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Bring a friend available now
    Allianz Leagues GAA Double Header at Croke Park - March 4th 2017
    A Chara,

The "Bring a Friend" option is now live for this Saturday's Allianz Leagues GAA Double Header at Croke Park

Fixture Details:

Hurling 5:00pm - Dublin v Waterford

Football 7.00pm - Dublin v Mayo

You can purchase tickets for non season ticket holders to sit with you for this double header - €12 Adult & €5 Juvenile. Up to 4 tickets can be purchased per Season Ticket account.

This offer is open until midday on Wednesday March 1st.

PLEASE NOTE: If you do not wish to avail of the Bring A Friend offer your ticket(s) will be allocated as normal on Wednesday March 1st and you will then be able to log in to your account and print off your match ticket(s) from 2pm.

Your Season Ticket card will not be accepted at the stiles. It is a reserved seating fixture so you will need to print your match ticket(s) from your account once they have been allocated.

Full fixture information and Instructions on how to complete a Bring A Friend are available at MATCH DAY INFORMATION

www.gaa.ie > Tickets > Season Ticket > Match Day

Le meas,

GAA Ticket Office

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TheMammy

Anyone's season ticket updated yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

TheMammy wrote: »
    Anyone's season ticket updated yet?

Usually takes a few extra days for the Mayo ones to update.

statto25 wrote: »
    Usually takes a few extra days for the Mayo ones to update.

Was Wednesday after the last match :rolleyes: the broadband very very slow and not so broad in these parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I don't think mayo will go all out for the Dublin game. I do think Dublin will though, with Connolly back in, maybe some gametime for Bernard brogan too. I would like to see us box clever though, and stick someone else on Connolly, with keegan just let rampage up the field. He is going to be fitter than most at this time of the year. That would catch them unawares.

Dublin are set up to counter honest, but naïve ball to the inside line. Donegal were very smart in that they just retained possession and ran hard at the scoring zone before popping it back out. A bit like Italy in the rugby, they chose not to play Dublin's game, and it worked. They picked up free after free, as Dublin's highly aggressive tackling, which is so effective when running out to contest a ball, was working against them in open play. We have the runners to do this even better than donegal did, and the place kicker to punish it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Oldtree wrote: »
    Was Wednesday after the last match :rolleyes: the broadband very very slow and not so broad in these parts

That oul carrier pideon is getting slower in his auld age....:D

won the lotto... 305 :D

Section 305 Row P,attendance updated for the Roscommon game.

305 too. Ill wave at ye. Ill be the lad in the Mayo top!

How/where do i look for tickets to the dublin game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

RD10 wrote: »
    How/where do i look for tickets to the dublin game?

They will be on sale on the night but try Super Value, they sell them at a discount during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

305 too. Ill wave at ye. Ill be the lad in the Mayo top!

Can we beat you with sticks?

Stephen Rochford has confirmed that all the players who were marked absent for the Roscommon game will continue to be unavailable for Saturday night.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Can we beat you with sticks?

Ehhhhhhh No?

Ehhhhhhh No?

Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Other half and I bought tickets on the double for the match on Saturday .
    Got one adult and 2 kids tickets for the match ( lower davin only available)
    Anyone interested , can meet in Liffey valley .
    Pm only

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

For some reasaon I'm in 302!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Anyone know if the upper Hogan is open for this?

Everywhere is open other than Nally and part of Hill nearest Cusack.

wouldnt be suprised if some of the league games were cancelled this weekend with all this constant rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What are peoples opinion of Doherty and freeman. I think they've got their chance and that the young lads coming up like loftus and Irwin should take their place. I'm predicting a draw tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

RD10 wrote: »
    wouldnt be suprised if some of the league games were cancelled this weekend with all this constant rain

I'd say Roscommon v Kerry will be cancelled.
    From what I hear the Hyde is waterlogged again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

cocoman wrote: »

I feel like I've read that sentence more often than I've taken breaths. :pac:

Seriously ?

I thought they'd got a new pitch ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Seriously ?

I thought they'd got a new pitch ?
    Bus Tod, a new bus.....

:eek:

• Advertisement

Weather forecast isn't looking too great for tomorrow night.Plenty of layers,the woolly hat,gloves and some rain gear will likely be a necessity.It'll be all worth it if we get a long overdue win.

Kalyke wrote: »
    Bus Tod, a new bus.....

Of course, Bus, where did I get pitch from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

seligehgit wrote: »
    Weather forecast isn't looking too great for tomorrow night.Plenty of layers,the woolly hat,gloves and some rain gear will likely be a necessity.It'll be all worth it if we get a long overdue win.

yeah and Waterford win in the hurling too

Us Waterford supporters will shout for Mayo if ye come in early and shout for us :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

PTH2009 wrote: »

Us Waterford supporters will shout for Mayo if ye come in early and shout for us :D:D

Mayo and Waterford? Sure we are the GAAs identical twins!! Deise Abu!

PTH2009 wrote: »

Ohh we'll be there, shouting for ye! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The Deise, only been 58 years since the last All Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We put the letters in the word Heartbreak lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Good evenings lads. Is that game live on any station tomorrow evening? Was checking Eir Sports 1 & 2 but it's not there. Have a few Mayo lads living up in Donegal that are unable to get tomorrow so I'm gonna try and facilitate them if I can.

Donegal For Sam! And if it's not us I pray to God it's yourselves!

doc_17 wrote: »
    Good evenings lads. Is that game live on any station tomorrow evening? Was checking Eir Sports 1 & 2 but it's not there. Have a few Mayo lads living up in Donegal that are unable to get tomorrow so I'm gonna try and facilitate them if I can.

Eirsport 2 HD

doc_17 wrote: »

sky channel 460

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Thanks lads.

OK here's the team that's been announced.I'm expecting Lee Keegan and Brendan Harrison may end up starting.

1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)

2. Donie Newcombe (Castlebar Mitchels)

3. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)

4. Paddy Durcan(Castlebar Mitchels)

5. Stephen Coen (Hollymount/Carramore)

6. Colm Boyle (Davitts)

7. David Drake (Ballaghaderreen)

8. Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe)

9. Jason Gibbons (Ballintubber)

10. Fergal Boland (Aghamore)

11. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)

12. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)

13. Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites)

14. Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber, Capt)

15. Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

Can't see drake starting either

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Mayo by 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

I'll take mayo by 1!!!!

Still haven't bought tickets yet, anyone know if I buy online today can I get a student ticket refund or is that only for tickets that are bought before matchday?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement