Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭JoeCole26

Hi, looking for one premium ticket if anyone would be able to help me out, would appreciate it greatly. A sligo man, but a big Mayo fan. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

We have tickets for Hogan stand but the folks who are season ticket holders are going to be over in the cusack stand.
    Is it possible to walk around from one side to the other?
    They want to see the grandkids (never me lol) but they're on a coach back down home afterwards so I don't know if this will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Call me Al wrote: »
    We have tickets for Hogan stand but the folks who are season ticket holders are going to be over in the cusack stand.
    Is it possible to walk around from one side to the other?
    They want to see the grandkids (never me lol) but they're on a coach back down home afterwards so I don't know if this will work.
    Let them call to ya tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Call me Al wrote:
    We have tickets for Hogan stand but the folks who are season ticket holders are going to be over in the cusack stand. Is it possible to walk around from one side to the other? They want to see the grandkids (never me lol) but they're on a coach back down home afterwards so I don't know if this will work.

It'a hassle but possible as long as you are all in the Lower Section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

DDC1990 wrote: »
    It'a hassle but possible as long as you are all in the Lower Section.

Yes they are thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Best of luck to the team to nite. Hopefully they will put down a marker for the season ahead and recoup some pride after last September. There is enough artillery in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

any link for the game be appreciated?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Is this game on TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Is this game on TV?

Doesnt look like it. I cant find it anywhere. I'm listening to it on rte1 radio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Eirsport 2 HD I think??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Eirsport 2 HD I think??

Cavan v donegal there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Cavan v donegal there.

No. Eir Sport 2 HD for Mayo game. Eir Sport 2 SD has Donegal game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Cavan v donegal there.

No its on the hd channel

Mayo not at the races at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Absolutely pathetic half from us. It's a miracle we're still in this game, massive performance needed in the last 35.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

To all those calling for Aidan o Shea to be dropped in the summer
    Take a good long look at that half
    Can't win our own ball
    He laid on 4/5 scores at least in both matches last year
    Talks a load of unwarranted stick because of his profile
    We do not have many better options than him
    We should all remember that when he does one daft thing !
    Himself and his brother are big strong MEN
    We look boys out there tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Diarmid looks ill out there . Is there something wrong with him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

km79 wrote: »
    Can't win our own ball

And I am one of 'those' calling for him to be dropped, and come summer I can guarantee that I will be calling for it again when he goes missing in big games and big names.
    Some people still blinkered by the 3 goals he scored off a Sligo junior B full back, forgetting the no-shows in virtually every game he played against top opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Shambolic shot selection.

Could be on for a serious trimming here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/838114303022678016

PS, I am not Dec Byrne! Just came up on my twitter search

• Advertisement

Can't win our own ball

I still want him dropped no matter how sh1te we are tonight.seamus on for gibbons would change or game if he was available if we had the brother it would be high ball in that would get swallowed up by there full back line

That should've been black.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

This sounds like awful stuff.

Vaughan black carded now and a penalty to Dublin. Somehow we've come out even worse in the second half.

David Clarke, what more can you say about him. Best keeper in the country by miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Further proof how stupid dropping him was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

At least Clarke has had some good saves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

That was terrible, hard to know what the tactics were.

That was terrible, hard to know what the tactics were.

Hard to no where the players where never mind the tactics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What a difference a week makes.

That was very very poor, no cohesion, no ideas, port shot selection, poor passes.

We all thought that they would be gunning for a win tonight but it was the complete opposite.

They have 4 points, with Cavan and Donegal at home and Tyrone away to come.

One win would guarantee safety but it would also be good to see them finishing the league stronger than they started.

This team have only played a game and a half of good football this year, and the game was against a very poor team, so I'd be expecting some improved performances to close it out, otherwise I'd be getting worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

What a difference a week makes.

That was very very poor, no cohesion, no ideas, port shot selection, poor passes.

We all thought that they would be gunning for a win tonight but it was the complete opposite.

They have 4 points, with Cavan and Donegal at home and Tyrone away to come.

One win would guarantee safety but it would also be good to see them finishing the league stronger than they started.

This team have only played a game and a half of good football this year, and the game was against a very poor team, so I'd be expecting some improved performances to close it out, otherwise I'd be getting worried.

Then you can bank the two points against Cavan.

After tonight I cannot see any way it`s not going to be them and Roscommon relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭PressRun

Anyone who paid to see that muck should be refunded. A horrendous display from everyone involved. And David Clarke, despite saving the penalty, caused the goal through a terrible kickout, so nothing to shout about there.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

I did say to myself during the week that the fact that Dublin had not won the last two games, they would be all guns tonight. The search for a new forward goes on :/

Diarmid looks ill out there . Is there something wrong with him .

He looked afraid to put a glove on his man.

naughto wrote: »
    I still want him dropped no matter how sh1te we are tonight.seamus on for gibbons would change or game if he was available if we had the brother it would be high ball in that would get swallowed up by there full back line

As opposed to kicking the ball in high tonight and not even winning it!

It's rubbish to suggest o Shea should Not start
    He is in our best 15 wherever he is chosen to play

I think some people just have a problem with him

Evidence tonight too why rochford went for hennelly on the basis of kick outs rather than Clarke
    I'd worry when/if we meet again that it's still I clarkes mind cos he was harried by them all night again and kicked away a Goal and a few points

Obviously he was excellent at the other aspects but I think his kick outs will be targeted in a big way in the summer with all the attention drawn to them now

Evidence tonight too why rochford went for hennelly on the basis of kick outs rather than Clarke
    I'd worry when/if we meet again that it's still I clarkes mind cos he was harried by them all night again and kicked away a Goal and a few points

Obviously he was excellent at the other aspects but I think his kick outs will be targeted in a big way in the summer with all the attention drawn to them now

Agreed. People seem to love just saying he was Mayo's best player for the sake of it now after the all Ireland final rather than looking at the evidence. He did well on the penalty but his kickouts are problematic and it showed all night tonight. He wasnt Mayo's best player this evening. They didn't have a best player.

As opposed to kicking the ball in high tonight and not even winning it!

It's rubbish to suggest o Shea should Not start
    He is in our best 15 wherever he is chosen to play

I think some people just have a problem with him

Do you actually think he would have made a difference there to night. We got rode in every area tonight.
    What he is good at is having two backs on him all the time which frees up one of or other players.
    While iam at it regan is not what I though he would be either we have to many players like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Thought we should have gone for strength in the second half .
    As I see it now , our short comings were very obvious tonight . Rockford has to address this .

We have been here before in the league with Dublin putting up cricket scores on us .

No panicking but addressing the transition from midfield to attack is one area that needs to change .
    We frantically moved the ball at pace to rhforeard line regardless of them being marked or not . Causing poor decisions and isolating forwards .

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    Do you actually think he would have made a difference there to night. We got rode in every area tonight.
    What he is good at is having two backs on him all the time which frees up one of or other players.
    While iam at it regan is not what I though he would be either we have to many players like him.

Based on the evidence of how he/mayo performed against the dubs with him in theteam and without yes I certainly do
    We could not win our own ball anywhere
    Regan a case in point
    O Shea takes unwarranted abuse at times because of who he is
    Andy Moran for example was god awful tonight and when he is bad he makes LUDICROUS decisions to compound it
    Like tonight
    And plenty of other games
    But he doesn't take half the abuse o Shea does (I'm not saying start abusing Andy :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If you start a team with an idea of going for a shoot-out against Dublin in Croke Park you are on a hiding to nowhere.

There two previous games were against Ulster teams where they struggled against a blanket defense.
    I did warn here earlier that those two draws could lead to a backlash tonight, so for me, Mayo should have set up to frustrate them first half and then have a cut at them second.

What are Mayo coaches doing with Clarke in training, and have they ever heard that practice makes perfect!

He doesn`t need coaching in any goalkeeping skills other than kick out, and for years now that hasn`t improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

martyos121 wrote: »
    David Clarke, what more can you say about him. Best keeper in the country by miles.

Is that irony? He got shown up by his opposite number tonight, who not only made the saves but didn't kick the ball away to the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Further proof how stupid dropping him was.

Clarke is an excellent shot stopper, no doubt, best in the country.

But it was not shot stopping that lost Mayo the All Ireland, it was a fumble by a keeper that he would catch 99 times out of 100.

And as others have pointed out, Clarke's kickouts will be the subject of a lot of attention all summer.

I've said it a million times, had Dublin won that All Ireland replay by scoring three more points across the 70+ minutes, form three different players/angles/deadball or from play, rather than from that penalty, then you would never have posted what you just did, because no one would be talking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

We've had some good days up there but the bad days are aplenty. That was up there with the worst of them. Where too now..? Keep treading water or unleash these promising U21s from now on. So disheartening that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Fowler87 wrote:
    We've had some good days up there but the bad days are aplenty. That was up there with the worst of them. Where too now..? Keep treading water or unleash these promising U21s from now on. So disheartening that

TBH imo if you get 3/4 decent players from that U21 team you'll be doing well. Few slot in straight away too, they need 2 or 3 years to bulk up too. Seasoned intercounty lads would make bits of most of them at this stage IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fowler87 wrote: »
    We've had some good days up there but the bad days are aplenty. That was up there with the worst of them. Where too now..? Keep treading water or unleash these promising U21s from now on. So disheartening that :(

That's 11 games against Gavin's Dubs and zero wins for Mayo.

Tonight wasn't a surprise or out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Stoner wrote:
    TBH imo if you get 3/4 decent players from that U21 team you'll be doing well. Few slot in straight away too, they need 2 or 3 years to bulk up too. Seasoned intercounty lads would make bits of most of them at this stage IMO

Yeah you're probably right. Decent step up. However the lack of purpose in our full forward line is awful concerning especially with the way Rochford wants to play aka Corofin.

At the end of the day our best bet is to revert back to sweeper and the running game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Stoner wrote: »

Coen & Boland have begun that process. Loftus to a lesser extent. Diarmuid there too obviously. That's 3 who have already shown enough to say they've come through.

Outside of that, Loftus is showing good signs. The likes of Ruane will need a few more years. I'd be happy with those 5 and wouldn't expect more than that.

Fair play to ye tonight.
    (Jesus, O'Gara has the finesse of an elephant.)

As for ourselves:

Clarke's kickouts show no sign of improving. This is an absolutely critical aspect of the modern game. I had hoped that this would be addressed this year. He should be spending 80% of his time getting this right.

I was eager to see who swept tonight for us. McLoughlin wasn't the man last year and he's needed as a playmaker. Not playing one at all against ye is just suicidal. Clarke shouldn't have to be saving the day for us in terms of shot stopping if this was in place. Wide open.

Despite being to a Club Final, Keegan needs another month to get up to speed. Proven by the fact that he was put in the FB line.

There's a real worry about DO'C. He hasn't been himself for some time now. Still very good but not his best. My only guess is that he's either been run ragged or mentally tired.

Despite what the Galway men / Conspiracy Theorists / Begrudgers say, Aidan & Seamus are much needed. Aidan needs to be made a Full Forward of if it takes 6 months.

Transition into attack, which killed us last year, is still dire. This is why I would shake it up with testing (a fit) Keegan in the HF line.

Pressure on opposition goal kicks is way too slack. You just can't give Dublin free ball all day long from kick outs.

The 2 former points were highlighted in the 39th minute. We managed a laboured point from Coen but Dublin has tagged one back within 20 seconds of the ball going over the bar. That included a mark. I timed it :(
    Same again a few minutes later after Regans free. McMahon popping up at the other end for an easy score.

Some positives:
    Coen and Durcan are fine players who will keep improving.
    Keegan will be a different player come championship.
    Higgins looks like he's settling in ok at FB. A sweeper to help would be nice.
    Boland didn't do much but he rarely does anything wrong, an excellent foot passer which could be utilised to some good effect with AO'S in the FF line.

The main negative:
    I was expecting Rochford to have some plan for tonight. There was none. It was more or less the same team and tactics as the previous 3 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Another slight positive:
    Regan is a little better on a surface like tonight. He's not a heavy ground player. He's also not a starter but could be a decent sub if he kicks on a bit and bulks up some more.

Agree with all of what parlance said above very good analysis sir !

I know I mentioned it earlier but I've been thinking about it all the way down and also discicces it after the drawn game Clarkes kick outs are going to be a potential problem if we are in the mix next autumn
    He looked very very harried tonight
    They were going backwards sideways hanging in the air bit ALWAYS putting the receiver under pressure
    A problem

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement