Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Oldtree wrote: »
    90th game for Donal Vaughan coming up, that's a serious achievement.

Great achievement for Donie alright. good luck to him.
    I think the calls the management have made are the right calls. you have to be able to make the big calls and thats what their doing.
    if your not playing well, someone else takes your place. Everyone knows im one of diarmuids biggest fans but he looks burnt out & his form is suffering a bit at the moment. coming in off the bench might be good for him. what a sub to bring on! Glad to see conor loftus get his chance in the corner too.
    Get out and support the lads tomorrow & lets get this league back on track!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

By the way St. Coleman's Clremorris v St. Brendan's Killarney in the Hogan Cup SF now.

Coleman's a point down at start of 2nd half, 0-8 to 1-4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

By the way St. Coleman's Clremorris v St. Brendan's Killarney in the Hogan Cup SF now.

Coleman's a point down at start of 2nd half, 0-8 to 1-4.

Commentary on Radio Kerry

Sem 1-8 Claremorris 1-6 6 minutes gone in the 2nd half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Sem 3-13 Claremorris 1-11 FT

Sem turned it on again in the 2nd half and a scoring burst of 2-2 in about 5 minutes was the winning of the game.

This is how it could happen

1. Mayo win all their games (home v Cavan, away v Tyrone, home v Donegal) putting them on 10pts
    2. Dublin win out which will eliminate Kerry and Monaghan from contention.
    3. Tyrone go win (v Donegal), loss (v Mayo) and lose/draw (v Kerry) in next three games. That will leave them on a max of 10 with Mayo holding the head to head tie breaker over them.
    4. A loss to Mayo would eliminate Donegal

This is still on folks.

Scenario is now that Mayo win all their games and Monaghan or Dublin lose at least one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mayo 2-8 Leitrim 0-9 in the minor league,second win in same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

What's the weather been like overnight in castlebar ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

This is still on folks.

Scenario is now that Mayo win all their games and Monaghan or Dublin lose at least one.

Other than a draw - which is obviously not impossible given what we've seen so far! - either Dublin or Monaghan have to lose on and would finish on nine.

Mayo have a chance but two tough games. I reckon it will be Dublin/Donegal final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

km79 wrote: »
    What's the weather been like overnight in castlebar ?

Very wet has dried up since though

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Other than a draw - which is obviously not impossible given what we've seen so far! - either Dublin or Monaghan have to lose on and would finish on nine.

Mayo have a chance but two tough games. I reckon it will be Dublin/Donegal final.

Donegal are looking very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

seligehgit wrote: »

To be honest I wouldn't have regarded them as contenders this year. They were good against Dublin and the newer players are quite impressive. Shows you how unpredictable league is. That was some hammering they gave Tyrone who many see as upcoming side. Which they still are, but that was setback and two tough games to come against yourselves and the Kingdom. Be a brave man would bet on league winner at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    They certainly are. Good footballers landing onto the panel. Great to see. Far better too as they won't have the injury worries of the old warhorses,

Higgins continues to try and defend as a full back 10 yards in front of his man. Absolutely mind boggling why he is continued to be allowed to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

Very uninspiring game so far. Cavan will be happy as they've not played well and are still well in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

quidel wrote: »
    Very uninspiring game so far. Cavan will be happy as they've not played well and are still well in touch.

Mayo will still win by 6/7 points. Confident of that

It is the hope that kills...............

Optimism. The cruelest misery inflicted on a Mayo supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Mayo have the ref on a borrow here and definitely have a couple of umpires bought.sad to see Moran diving just to stay in touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Mayo have the ref on a borrow here and definitely have a couple of umpires bought.sad to see Moran diving just to stay in touch.

Take off them blue glasses:D. Ref is equally bad for both sides. And the Blue side look far more business-like in this half.

Respect to Cavan all the same, just to sidetrack away from Mayo's poor 2nd half, the former conversely having played excellently this half.

• Advertisement

This is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

69 mins Mayo 0-15 Cavan 1-14

Cavan forwards in full flow are a delight to watch. If Mayo had a Cian Mackey or Martin Reilly..........

I hope we are in the middle of serious physical training ..........the alternative is not good
    NO IDEA what Rochford is trying with cillian o Connor
    Or why Higgins continues to be allowed to defend his man 10 yards in front
    He was basically marking Colm Boyle whilst leaving the FF free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Cavan forwards in full flow are a delight to watch. If Mayo had a Cian Mackey or Martin Reilly..........

Absolutely. There was only 1 winner when Cavan got going. Very poor effort by Mayo in that 2nd half. No urgency shown by them at all. What was Andy Moran doing out at mid-field in the last 15 mins, leaving a free Cavan defender to clear the loose balls fired in by Mayo.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

??the overconfidence often showed in a won nothing Mayo team is baffling.no kick out,no contesting midfield,no defence,no decent attackers,consistent fowling and diving and a willingness to use other teammates as scapegoats at any chance.
    Mayo were brutal today.wouldnt even follow the ball after being turned over numerous times.they couldn't win with a ref and a couple of blind umpires in their pockets.no wonder Enda fell asleep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Christ that was awful ****e to watch from our lads. fair play cavan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

??the overconfidence often showed in a won nothing Mayo team is baffling.no kick out,no contesting midfield,no defence,no decent attackers,consistent fowling and diving and a willingness to use other teammates as scapegoats at any chance.
    Mayo were brutal today.wouldnt even follow the ball after being turned over numerous times.they couldn't win with a ref and a couple of blind umpires in their pockets.no wonder Enda fell asleep

Worry about your own team buddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Are we on the way down after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

naughto wrote: »

I think the slide has begun, gone to well too often with the same players. Ultimately we had five chances to win an All Ireland with this team & we didn't manage it. We looked lethargic & disinterested & I think we will need an injection of fresh thinking & players to get the baton up & running again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Far too relaxed in first half and too much messing running to and fro with the "Chocker-block" defence in second half.

Some lovely long points thought.

Are we in the relegation zone now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Kinda obvious a lot of those Mayo lads have no interest of putting the effort in for the league. Looks like they're confident that their place in the first 15 is nailed on no matter what. That's not good for a manager to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

naughto wrote: »

I wouldn`t go that far, but Tyrone in Healy Park next who will be hurting over the trimming Donegal gave them last night will be a big ask.
    Cavan have Kerry at home, but I wouldn`t see them getting much from that.

It could come down to the last day with Donegal in Castlebar and Cavan in Roscommon where Roscommon will already be going down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Anyone know why Diarmuid O'connor didn't tog? Thought he could have injected pace and some menacing runs.

Good God that was more crushing than the tanking in Croker.Well deserved win for Cavan.We are pretty clueless when it comes to dealing with the blanket defence,totally ran out of ideas in the second half.We continue to have a major issues defensively when teams run at us.

Perhaps the lads are in the midst of some heavy training but it's very hard to buy the argument that they've no interest in the league.Relegation looms large.

I am truly fighting against my instinct that this group of players are on a downward spiral performance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

:D

:D

Read above........... think you are missing the point here!!! But you are not the only one missing points today sadly!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Not worth the 15 Euro entry fee to see that load of shight.

No transition from backs to forwards . No offensive strategy all. It's been that way since last year. The amount of times the there was no runs coming through from the half backs when they were needed . No overlaps at all. Playing the ball wide to wingers when the best route was direct running . No one on the inside forward line to act as a target .
    Changes were obvious at half time but none made .
    Why on earth are we p###king around with Higgins at full back . He was the cause of 1-2 in the first half alone .
    Kirby should have been pushed up to full forward and made room for more direct running . Some of the new lads were out of sorts today .
    Anyone who thinks we are remotely safe is having a laugh .
    Cavan are sure to take Roscommon in the final game . So we need a result out of Donegal or Tyrone and it's very hard to see that coming now .

This is still on folks.

Well that did not last long, did it.

Very disappointing today.

I thought after the Kerry and Roscommon games they would push on, not necessarily reach the final but continue to play well an look like improving with each game.

Sadly the opposite is the case.

It will be tough to hold on to Div 1 with the two games we have left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Had to make do with listening to it on the radio. Don't think I'll be putting on the recording this evening.

I hope Rochford has a plan but it's getting a little harder to believe. I wouldn't mind fighting for survival if you could see things being worked on for the summer.

PARlance wrote: »
    Had to make do with listening to it on the radio. Don't think I'll be putting on the recording this evening.

I hope Rochford has a plan but it's getting a little harder to believe. I wouldn't mind fighting for survival if you could see things being worked on for the summer.
    The lack of ANY goal chances being created is frightening tbh

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    The lack of ANY goal chances being created is frightening tbh

As frightening as the amount of them we've been giving away... it's a little bleak in all areas. 2 very big games now.

Was Diarmuid injured? He has looked like someone who could do with taking a few weeks off and coming back fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

I cannot understand why he's given up on the sweeper system this year, I thought it worked really well last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

PhoneMain wrote: »
    I cannot understand why he's given up on the sweeper system this year, I thought it worked really well last year.

Mayo shouldnt need to employ a sweeper against Cavan, you would think. Then again?

PhoneMain wrote: »

You would hope it will be back come summertime
    But summertime is fast approaching.........
    I don't know
    Maybe people were right and Aidan O Shea really was the manager all along :D
    Be grand he will be back picking the team next week;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Very disappointing. Hard to figure where we are going. From the Kerry 2nd half performance, the 1st half was like the last 2 games, to where we are now.
    Full back line is not functioning and the players back there are wasted, leaving us exposed at the 1/2 back line. So what Rochford is trying to achieve here is beyond me at this stage.
    COC has gone backwards again, poor shot selection and poor frees.
    Aside from Andy the other forwards are offering very little.

We shouldn't expect anything from Tyrone, though its been a good hunting ground previously. Cavan will beat Rossies, so the game next week is critical.

Lets see what happens in the next 2 games, but questions are arising.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Not overly concerned that we lost the game in itself, but there was'nt even a hint of breaking through at pace for a goal chance. that's the worrying part. notwithstanding some decent long range points.

Any sign of Cafferkey ?

Playing without a sweeper and without a recognized full back is not working.

I'd imagine they will deploy a sweeper for the summer because if not they would have tried someone else at FB at this stage, seeing as Cafferkey recovery is taking as long as it has.

Any sign of Cafferkey ?

Playing without a sweeper and without a recognized full back is not working.

I'd imagine they will deploy a sweeper for the summer because if not they would have tried someone else at FB at this stage, seeing as Cafferkey recovery is taking as long as it has.

I wasn't a big fan of KMcL sweeping last year but I would have him back there in a heartbeat now. If we're going to be playing a sweeper in the summer then it should be used throughout the league imo. It's a very hard position to get right.

My hope is that he has Higgins in mind for the sweeper role and he's just giving him time at FB until Ger Caff comes back. A good understanding of FB position is necessary for a sweeper imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

If anyone had any kids in the Cumann Na mBunscoil yesterday, I've some video of them greeting the teams onto the pitch yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyl8Yel3vBk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

PARlance wrote: »
    I wasn't a big fan of KMcL sweeping last year but I would have him back there in a heartbeat now. If we're going to be playing a sweeper in the summer then it should be used throughout the league imo. It's a very hard position to get right.

My hope is that he has Higgins in mind for the sweeper role and he's just giving him time at FB until Ger Caff comes back. A good understanding of FB position is necessary for a sweeper imo.

Well he does seem to be playing more like a sweeper than a fb already :). He was standing way off his man yesterday. With Keith new to the fb position and Durcan playing in the corner as well, we're looking more than a bit dodgy back there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement