Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Panrich wrote: »
    Well he does seem to be playing more like a sweeper than a fb already :). He was standing way off his man yesterday. With Keith new to the fb position and Durcan playing in the corner as well, we're looking more than a bit dodgy back there.

Tbh I`m not that sure how astute Rochford is defensively.
    Corofin didn`t play with much other than the old style defensive set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

charlie14 wrote: »
    Tbh I`m not that sure how astute Rochford is defensively.
    Corofin didn`t play with much other than the old style defensive set up.

I think that's a little harsh. Dean Rock won Dublin the All Ireland and he had something up his sleeve defensively for both Tyrone and Tipp.

I'm trying not to lose faith in what he's doing or what he may intend to do, but it's more in hope than expectation at this stage. Sure it's more exciting this way :):(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Just looking at some old programmes earlier.

What ever happened to that fella Danny Kirby? I think he has some record for most goals scored for inter county team. Four or five in an FBD game?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Just looking at some old programmes earlier.

What ever happened to that fella Danny Kirby? I think he has some record for most goals scored for inter county team. Four or five in an FBD game?

Kirby played yesterday.

that's what you call serendipity!

Was it first game for a while? How did he do?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

that's what you call serendipity!

Was it first game for a while? How did he do?

Played well. Got a couple of points. Showed some drive, took some hits. Can't fault him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

yop wrote:
    Played well. Got a couple of points. Showed some drive, took some hits. Can't fault him.

Four points I think. Played well

Mmmmm. Could be what they are missing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

A family bereavement has taken my mind out of the football for a while, but watched a bit of it back this morning.

Hard to understand what's going on tbh. I wouldnt mind the loss if it seemed like they were trying something new, but it doesn't seem that way at all. I wasn't so bothered by last year's losses because it was clear that attempts were being made to fix the defensive issues and that takes time, but now that sweeper system that we spent a year bedding in has inexplicably been abandoned and we're once again wide open at the back. I would love to know what's going on there.

Cillian seems jaded and out of sorts. He shouldn't be playing at 11, imo, and should be closer to goal. I think he looks lost where he currently is. If there are other off the pitch issues with him, maybe giving him a break wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I'd rather have him in good form than have him there while clearly not enjoying his football. Regardless of what people say about him only being good for frees, this is patently not true. We are not the same team without him and certainly not when he is out of form.

We are in desperate need of a traditional fullback. It's obvious management are trying to put Keith Higgins in that role but he is clearly not fit for it (is he even fit for corner back anymore?). However the reality is what other options do we have? Kevin Keane is out of the picture and from what I've heard Caff is not going to be back as soon as people think. He hasn't even touched a ball yet in training, so I'm told, just starting to get back into running. His injury was very serious, let us not forget, could have been career ending and who's to say he'll even be the same player when he comes back? We need some sort of plan in case it doesn't work out with him.

Patrick Durcan is wasted in the corner.

Glad to see that Diarmuid O'Connor was left out. That lad has been in desperate need of a break for quite a while. He looked completely burnt out against Dublin.

All in all, what bothered me the most about it was that the same lack of motivation that was evident against Dublin was evident again. Some of them looked like they didn't want to be there. Now maybe there's an element of not feeling up for it in the league because ultimately it's not the league they want to win, but you'd like to think there'd be some get up and go especially when the backs are to the wall. But I didn't see that at all.

I think we'll struggle to avoid relegation, but maybe that isn't the worst thing in the world. You'd hope that things will right themselves before the Connacht championship starts, that some evidence of a plan of action will materialise and that players struggling to find form will sort out whatever issues they have before then. We'll see I suppose.

PARlance wrote: »
    I think that's a little harsh. Dean Rock won Dublin the All Ireland and he had something up his sleeve defensively for both Tyrone and Tipp.

I'm trying not to lose faith in what he's doing or what he may intend to do, but it's more in hope than expectation at this stage. Sure it's more exciting this way :):(

The last few games it`s difficult to know what he is trying defensively. At this stage most managers know what their defense will be come championship and the transference from there to attack.
    I thought yesterday the defense was all over the place and the transfer of ball was very poor.
    Maybe just keeping his powder dry, but right now it certainly isn`t good for supporters with dodgy tickers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

PressRun wrote: »
    A family bereavement has taken my mind out of the football for a while, but watched a bit of it back this morning.

Hard to understand what's going on tbh. I wouldnt mind the loss if it seemed like they were trying something new, but it doesn't seem that way at all. I wasn't so bothered by last year's losses because it was clear that attempts were being made to fix the defensive issues and that takes time, but now that sweeper system that we spent a year bedding in has inexplicably been abandoned and we're once again wide open at the back. I would love to know what's going on there.

Cillian seems jaded and out of sorts. He shouldn't be playing at 11, imo, and should be closer to goal. I think he looks lost where he currently is. If there are other off the pitch issues with him, maybe giving him a break wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I'd rather have him in good form than have him there while clearly not enjoying his football. Regardless of what people say about him only being good for frees, this is patently not true. We are not the same team without him and certainly not when he is out of form.

We are in desperate need of a traditional fullback. It's obvious management are trying to put Keith Higgins in that role but he is clearly not fit for it (is he even fit for corner back anymore?). However the reality is what other options do we have? Kevin Keane is out of the picture and from what I've heard Caff is not going to be back as soon as people think. He hasn't even touched a ball yet in training, so I'm told, just starting to get back into running. His injury was very serious, let us not forget, could have been career ending and who's to say he'll even be the same player when he comes back? We need some sort of plan in case it doesn't work out with him.

Patrick Durcan is wasted in the corner.

Glad to see that Diarmuid O'Connor was left out. That lad has been in desperate need of a break for quite a while. He looked completely burnt out against Dublin.

All in all, what bothered me the most about it was that the same lack of motivation that was evident against Dublin was evident again. Some of them looked like they didn't want to be there. Now maybe there's an element of not feeling up for it in the league because ultimately it's not the league they want to win, but you'd like to think there'd be some get up and go especially when the backs are to the wall. But I didn't see that at all.

I think we'll struggle to avoid relegation, but maybe that isn't the worst thing in the world. You'd hope that things will right themselves before the Connacht championship starts, that some evidence of a plan of action will materialise and that players struggling to find form will sort out whatever issues they have before then. We'll see I suppose.

Was he on the subs yesterday? He really needs a proper break, away from the panel for 3-4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Was he on the subs yesterday? He really needs a proper break, away from the panel for 3-4 weeks.

Was originally named as a sub but Douglas took his spot on the bench

Can you afford to be resting your big players for the whole league?

Dublin, Mayo, Kerry have luxury of at least one handy game in provincials and no doubt their internal games are ferocious, but throwing someone in at quarter final stage without having a serious game for maybe most of the year is a big gamble.

For example Connolly be fine for us having been through the club and expect to see him getting some game time in next two games, but I'd be worried about Bernard to be honest. Not sure whether he is being rested or not showing in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Im a bit puzzled with the way we are trying to play. What about the McLoughlin sweeper experiment? Should that not have been continued here so everyone is learning as we go? Continually playing into the oppositions hands & caught on the counter every-time. Monaghan looked like scoring every time they attacked. Some of the ball we put into the FF line is shocking.

Above is what I wrote after the Monaghan game. How are we so clueless when faced with a blanket defence in Castlebar?? There is no excuse for this & serious questions are beginning to emerge about management. Every dog on the street knows how Cavan play the game. Yet we continually commit men forward & get countered to death. Is it a total lack of respect for the opposition or are we plain naive?

Cavan didn't believe they could win yesterday until they plundered a goal form absolutely nothing & the belief shot right through them. We have no guile up-front & cannot buy a goal at the minute. Since Horan took charge we always found the man in the better position but recently people are being selfish & not laying the ball off. Why did Parsons not slip in Conor o'Shea for the goal?

The hallmark of this team has been their ferocious intensity in the tackle. I cannot remember a turnover of note over the last two matches which is the most worrying aspect.

Over half the team are under-performing atm & truth be told have been for a long time. Higgins, Boyle, Durcan, Vaughan, DOC, COC out of sorts. The reality is we could be division 2 & Galway Division one when we head for Salthill

Above is what I wrote after the Monaghan game. How are we so clueless when faced with a blanket defence in Castlebar?? There is no excuse for this & serious questions are beginning to emerge about management. Every dog on the street knows how Cavan play the game. Yet we continually commit men forward & get countered to death. Is it a total lack of respect for the opposition or are we plain naive?

Cavan didn't believe they could win yesterday until they plundered a goal form absolutely nothing & the belief shot right through them. We have no guile up-front & cannot buy a goal at the minute. Since Horan took charge we always found the man in the better position but recently people are being selfish & not laying the ball off. Why did Parsons not slip in Conor o'Shea for the goal?

The hallmark of this team has been their ferocious intensity in the tackle. I cannot remember a turnover of note over the last two matches which is the most worrying aspect.

Over half the team are under-performing atm & truth be told have been for a long time. Higgins, Boyle, Durcan, Vaughan, DOC, COC out of sorts. The reality is we could be division 2 & Galway Division one when we head for Salthill

It'd be an awful shame if that was to happen. I would love Galway & Mayo to be meeting in the league next year.

If it was to happen, I would still fancy Mayo to beat us in the championship this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Can you afford to be resting your big players for the whole league?

The issue is that nearly none of our big players have been rested for any of the league. The O'Sheas are out due to injury, otherwise I'm sure they'd be playing. Diarmuid O'Connor has been on the go nearly non-stop for a year. He looks burnt out and I don't think he'll suddenly rediscover form by being played into the ground. If there are some issues with Cillian, he should be given either a break or a change of position to help him out because he looks totally fatigued and lost at the moment.

Vaughan looks unfit, but he looked unfit this time last year too and found form as the year went on. Same for Keegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Looks like the O Shea brothers will be back for the crunch game against Tyrone next weekend.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/03/20/4136933-oshea-boys-on-course-to-feature-in-mayos-big-omagh-assignment/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

seligehgit wrote: »
    Looks like the O Shea brothers will be back for the crunch game against Tyrone next weekend.

The Tyrone players will be quaking in their boots.:D
    Does their return mean Clarke will be dropped.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

washman3 wrote: »
    The Tyrone players will be quaking in their boots.:D
    Does their return mean Clarke will be dropped.?

Hey, December 2016 just called, he wants his jokes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Season ticket updated today, must have gone with the narrow band this week :) or bussed the pigeons up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Oldtree wrote: »
    Season ticket updated today, must have gone with the narrow band this week :) or bussed the pigeons up ;)

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Just checked mine there, must have been updated sometime today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Just checked mine there, must have been updated sometime today
    Well done MacHale Park for getting this done early in the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Question for ye season ticket peeps.....what is the beeping sound heard at the season ticket entrances? Is it a failed to scan noise or what. They were going off big style on Sunday on most as I was walking in

statto25 wrote: »
    Question for ye season ticket peeps.....what is the beeping sound heard at the season ticket entrances? Is it a failed to scan noise or what. They were going off big style on Sunday on most as I was walking in

My experience is that there is a small beep and a green light for a successful scan.

Oldtree wrote: »

Same as.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

My experience is that there is a small beep and a green light for a successful scan.

These were more than small beeps. They were audible well before I got near the turnstile.

These were more than small beeps. They were audible well before I got near the turnstile.

You sure it wasn't the warning signals coming from the MAyo dressing room :eek:

Mayo v Tyrone is live on TG4 on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Juvenile season ticket.My youngest has one and as soon as it's scanned there is a loud beep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

ureds wrote: »
    Juvenile season ticket.My youngest has one and as soon as it's scanned there is a loud beep.

Mine didn't beep but the kids did and I asked the attendant if mine didn't scan despite getting a green light. "Juvenile ticket" I was told by the patient young lady with a smile :) must get asked it a lot the poor thing.

Great double header in Tuam on Saturday against the old enemy :)

Mayo v Galway 3.00 Minor League

Mayo v Galway 5.00 Under 21 Connacht Championship Semi Final

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Great double header in Tuam on Saturday against the old enemy :)

Mayo v Galway 3.00 Minor League

Mayo v Galway 5.00 Under 21 Connacht Championship Semi Final

Any team announced yet for the U21 or anyone hear how we're going since beating Sligo in the pre season tournament?

Any team announced yet for the U21 or anyone hear how we're going since beating Sligo in the pre season tournament?

I do not believe there has been any team announced as yet,usually day of said fixtures before any clarity.No idea how they are progressing,minors are two wins from two in the minor league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

I do not believe there has been any team announced as yet,usually day of said fixtures before any clarity.No idea how they are progressing,minors are two wins from two in the minor league.

Plenty of the squad from last year still available and several worth keeping an eye on with a view to how close they are for senior involvement. The ones that most spring to mind are Matthew Ruane, Sharoize Akram, Brian Reape, and Eoin O'Donoghue. I also have hopes that Ryan O'Donoghue from last years minor might progress as well. He has already had game time with the U21s this year and seems a natural forward. A tough start against a Galway team with a run behind them and several fine footballers.

• Advertisement

Plenty of the squad from last year still available and several worth keeping an eye on with a view to how close they are for senior involvement. The ones that most spring to mind are Matthew Ruane, Sharoize Akram, Brian Reape, and Eoin O'Donoghue. I also have hopes that Ryan O'Donoghue from last years minor might progress as well. He has already had game time with the U21s this year and seems a natural forward. A tough start against a Galway team with a run behind them and several fine footballers.

Yes high hopes for these lads most especially Matthew Ruane.

A very tough ask indeed.

Diarmuid O'Connor has been sidelined by a hamstring injury and looks set to miss Sunday's game against Tyrone reports the Mayo News.

Diarmuid O'Connor has been sidelined by a hamstring injury and looks set to miss Sunday's game against Tyrone reports the Mayo News.

FFS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Its more important that his fitness is sorted long term . He seems to have fitness issues which is bad for him and us......

I neglected to mention it was a reoccurrence of a previous hamstring injury suffered whilst playing for DCU in December.

Best he get adequate time for same to heal.

• Advertisement

I neglected to mention it was a reoccurrence of a previous hamstring injury suffered whilst playing for DCU in December.

Best he get adequate time for same to heal.

Interesting that it's a reoccurrence as it was apparent to a lot of people on here that he needed a rest a few weeks ago.

I guess he's done for the league now so he might get a few weeks rest which he badly needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Am I nieve to think there will be a big fight in the Mayo team on Sunday. Surely they know that a loss on Sunday will more than likely consign then to division two next year.
    Tyrone would love nothing more to relate mayo particulary after the all Ireland semi final last year. I am expecting Tyrone to come out guns blazing but think mayo might have one good fight in them. They will know that after the last two games they need to prove to themselves and the rest of the country that they have not burned out over the last few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

Can anyone tell me why hoganstand have in their sligo v galway u21 report that this was the last u21 connacht championship?

thestar wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why hoganstand have in their sligo v galway u21 report that this was the last u21 connacht championship?

This is the last U21 All Ireland Championship afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

The U21 championship is being abolished? Is it being replaced?

thestar wrote: »
    The U21 championship is being abolished? Is it being replaced?

U-20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

I will go out on a lim and say they will win one of there last two games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

naughto wrote: »
    I will go out on a lim and say they will win one of there last two games

I think we will win Sunday

km79 wrote: »
    I think we will win Sunday

Tyrone`s U21s lost last night and with their seniors losing Sunday there could be a bit of a bite back from them at home.

I would see the Donegal game a better bet for two points.
    They are safe in the league and I doubt they have a lot of interest in a league final. They will be looking at keeping their powder dry for the Ulster championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

charlie14 wrote: »
    Tyrone`s U21s lost last night and with their seniors losing Sunday there could be a bit of a bite back from them at home.

I would see the Donegal game a better bet for two points.
    They are safe in the league and I doubt they have a lot of interest in a league final. They will be looking at keeping their powder dry for the Ulster championship.

I doubt that.

They are a very young inexperienced team.

A Croke Park final would be great for them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement