Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Great win, playing against 16 men as well. Fantastic point to win it too. Still need something against Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

It wasn't the prettiest and some of the ponderous lateral movement was still evident, but they showed a real hunger to win, which has been alarmingly lacking in the league thus far, so I'm happy. Some good performances and the goal was beautifully worked and taken by Tom. A well deserved man of the match performance and he spoke well after the match.

Cillian looks concussed unfortunately, looked like he wasn't sure where he was at the end. Lane absolutely bottled it in the end and i don't think there's much more that can be said about his refereeing. A disgrace.

PressRun wrote: »
    Cillian can't even walk properly. Get him off. That was a red card all day.

Cowardly sneaky one on COC. Red all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Kerry could go down yet if they loose to Tyrone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Cillian definitely concussed. Vaughan and AOS got a few digs as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

We fought fire with fire tactically. It will never be pretty but that is the way the game is gone. I thought we had lost all threat after Andy went off as we had nobody to kick-pass into, then we got McLoughlin in space & he did the deadly. Great to see the intensity was back, no way were we leaving Omagh without the win. When Mayo bring that level of intensity few teams can match us. Great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

naughto wrote: »
    Kerry could go down yet if they loose to Tyrone

Highly unlikely. 26 point swing in the last set of games. Kerry more likely to make a league final with a bit of help from ye against Donegal next weekend. 6 point win please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Have to say, after last weeks debacle that was a proper performance. Positivity in many facets of a big game, some quality football at times, good point taking, a goal that would grace any big game, toughness in the tackle, fighting adversity against both the dirtness of Tyrone and some awful refereeing. Some good defending and getting ahead when it matters.

They were never going to win the league regardless so in a way these last couple of matches and the pressure of them will bode well for them entering the Summer

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Highly unlikely. 26 point swing in the last set of games. Kerry more likely to make a league final with a bit of help from ye against Donegal next weekend. 6 point win please.

Unfortunately the game is in McHale Park next weekend and rather than being a fortress for us, our record there is poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Unfortunately the game is in McHale Park next weekend and rather than being a fortress for us, our record there is poor.

It's bizarre isn't it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

A very big win and certainly not helped by the 2nd half performance. Dug in though, helped by some shocking wides from Tyrone.

We have their number, always great to beat them.

As I said earlier, the ref is an absolute mess. Always has been and he's not going to improve now.

km79 wrote: »
    It's bizarre isn't it

Yes indeed. I would actually rather be travelling next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

No better time to put that straight,as has mentioned many of the same flaws are still there but no doubting the lads hunger and appetite for the battle today.These are the sort of levels of intensity we've come from these quality of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Likewise Kerry at home. 5 of our 6 points have come away from home.

Just a quick mention for Chris Barrett. For a man who has been out of the loop as long as he has, I thought he slotted back in very easily today. Adds a little more strength to the back line.

Work needs to be done on the sloppy handling and the turn overs coming out of them as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Anything worse than defeat AND a 15+ swing on points difference will see us relegated?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Anything worse than defeat AND a 15+ swing on points difference will see us relegated?

I think is two teams finish level then it is decided on head to head so a defeat for us and a win or draw for Kerry sees us gone if Cavan can beat Roscommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Cillian definitely concussed. Vaughan and AOS got a few digs as well.

Vaughan looked like he was a bit out of it too just before he was carried off.

Panrich wrote: »
    I think is two teams finish level then it is decided on head to head so a defeat for us and a win or draw for Kerry sees us gone if Cavan can beat Roscommon.

That's it. Worst case scenario is if we lose and Cavan win but we could still be saved if Tyrone beat Kerry. It's far from certain but you'd have to fancy our chances. If we go down then we will deserve it.

That's it. Worst case scenario is if we lose and Cavan win but we could still be saved if Tyrone beat Kerry. It's far from certain but you'd have to fancy our chances. If we go down then we will deserve it.

That result won't save us as we'll all finish on 6 points.Kerry will be safe based on their vastly superior points difference and Cavan will stay up with ourselves going down on the basis of our head to head result.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    That result won't save us as we'll all finish on 6 points.Kerry will be safe based on their vastly superior points difference and Cavan will stay up with ourselves going down on the basis of our head to head result.

If three teams finish on the same points, the head to head is done away with and it goes to points. In that case, Cavan would have to put to make up a 15 point deficit.

If three teams finish on the same points, the head to head is done away with and it goes to points. In that case, Cavan would have to put to make up a 15 point deficit.

Yip tá an ceart agat,I thought same but a mate convinced me otherwise just before I posted.Good news but let's go out with a welcome win in McHale Park to end a topsy turvy league on a high and take our fate out of others hands.

Yip tá an ceart agat,I thought same but a mate convinced me otherwise just before I posted.Good news but let's go out with a welcome win in McHale Park to end a topsy turvy league on a high and take our fate out of others hands.

Exactly, today's good result leaves it in our own hands so we should be focusing on ending the league on a high and putting in a positive performance. We've got some big names coming back from injury and that game today will do wonders for our confidence. The players will know the job isn't finished and with a big crowd in behind the lads, there should be no reason why we should fear Donegal - poor home form or not.

Will Cillian play next week if he is concussed? He should have been removed from the pitch immediately btw, which he wasn't.

Will Cillian play next week if he is concussed? He should have been removed from the pitch immediately btw, which he wasn't.

If he suffered a concussion injury I doubt it,Donal Vaughan definitely appeared to suffer a concussion type injury,very groggy and his legs were like jelly.

With the protocols re concussion injuries such as those in rugby union one can't take any chances with our players welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Great result, had a match and have been away all day. Looking forward to a few pints and watching it later.

Any no how doc managed to play was it not report during the week that his hamstring was gone,i don't think k he kick the ball long or went for Score so I am thinking he's definitely not fit

naughto wrote: »
    Any no how doc managed to play was it not report during the week that his hamstring was gone,i don't think k he kick the ball long or went for Score so I am thinking he's definitely not fit

Yes that was a tad strange,it was reported in the Connaught Telegraph during the week that he'd suffered a recurrence of a hamstring injury.

He didn't seem fit today and the game largely passed him by.

I know mention was made of the great performances of Tom Parsons and the returning Chris Barrett but I thought David Clarke was absolutely outstanding in goal today,hardly put a foot wrong.

• Advertisement

Great instinct on the interceptions again today from Clarkie.

Great instinct on the interceptions again today from Clarkie.

He was excellent
    Still worried about his kickouts when really pressurized but he showed all of his positive attributes today
    Very commanding performance

I've had a funny feeling since I seen the draw that Tyrone will take out the dubs and we will beat Tyrone in AI final

Donegal could scupper all that in ulster though
    And galway

:D

I would still have concerns about his kickouts too. I think they will be targeted as the year goes on, and I hope that players and management are paying attention to this and working towards improvement in this area.

Absolutely not thinking about All-Ireland finals or semi-finals yet! My heart rate has barely returned to normal yet after last year.

I know mention was made of the great performances of Tom Parsons and the returning Chris Barrett but I thought David Clarke was absolutely outstanding in goal today,hardly put a foot wrong.

Ya he was and put cavanagh on his hole as did tom with a fine hit when it was needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Great point to win it. I thought​ a draw was fair but when someone hits them like that it swings it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Was very exciting to listen to on the radio. Tyrone yet again showing f all skills other than the fist. Real sick of that type of play. Is that the best their manager can come up with, never going to go far with it as nobody really scared of them, so that's a fail.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

That was a great win. the lads fought really hard to pull it outta the bag.
    Cillian was Clearly concussed at the end and should have been taken off straight away. he couldnt even stand and looked like he was about to get sick.
    tackle was a dirty one and should have been a straight red for the tyrone fella.
    mattie donnelly deserves a ban after he struck aiden o shea twice in the face.
    conor lane...the less we say about him the better.
    He actually walked on past the incident between mattie donnelly and aiden and kept going...surely he'd have to include this in his referee's report

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Regarding David Clarkes Kickouts ; Perhaps Rockford should develop a strategy that suits Clarks better/ preferred Kickouts .

Unless injured David Clarke is our best Goalkeeper (in my opinion bit, by a good bit) so lets play a system that maximises all parts of his game .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great win. Didn't get to see it live but saw highlights.
    Some lads stepped up a bit more and great points to get up there.

Lane is a sub standard ref and Ill await retrospective bannings on this. That challenge on Cillian and the punch to AOS is a lot worse than what was dished out in Kerry. Ill wont hold my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

RD10 wrote: »
    That was a great win. the lads fought really hard to pull it outta the bag.
    Cillian was Clearly concussed at the end and should have been taken off straight away. he couldnt even stand and looked like he was about to get sick.
    tackle was a dirty one and should have been a straight red for the tyrone fella.
    conor lane...the less we say about him the better.
    He actually walked on past the incident between mattie donnelly and aiden and kept going...surely he'd have to include this in his referee's report

Was the hit on O'Connor deal with on the field ?

I not then it can be retrospectively reviewed and punished if required.

It was highlighted on the "League Sunday" TV show.

There is precedence here with regards an incident being retrospectively reviewed after being brought up on TV, Tomas O' Se a number of years back.

I wonder will it happen in this case ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

RD10 wrote: »

Twas just like Ireland Wales, only without us 'provoking' them in the first half...

• Advertisement

Was the hit on O'Connor deal with on the field ?

I not then it can be retrospectively reviewed and punished if required.

It was highlighted on the "League Sunday" TV show.

There is precedence here with regards an incident being retrospectively reviewed after being brought up on TV, Tomas O' Se a number of years back.

I wonder will it happen in this case ?

There's definitely a case or two, the question is, do we really want any action. Tyrone beating Kerry gives us another get out of jail card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

See the Hanley brothers have returned home to be with their terminally ill brother Tommy. Absolutely terrible news, puts everything into perspective. God bless them all

I would still have concerns about his kickouts too. I think they will be targeted as the year goes on, and I hope that players and management are paying attention to this and working towards improvement in this area.

Absolutely not thinking about All-Ireland finals or semi-finals yet! My heart rate has barely returned to normal yet after last year.

The kickout conundrum only really comes into it vs Dublin imo. Possibly Kerry to a lesser extent. You're going to get an awful lot of non pressurised kickouts against the Ulster teams.

He was outstanding yesterday but the next real test on them will be late in the year (hopefully).

Good news

Injury update from Mayo senior football team
    Ahead of Mayo v Donegal in Allianz NFL

Long-term injuries:
    Seamus O’Shea: Played a game with his club Breaffy on Sunday and is available for selection for next Sunday.
    Ger Cafferkey: Played a game with his club Ballina Stephenites on Sunday and will be further assessed during the week to ascertain if he is available for selection for next Sunday.

From Tyrone/Mayo game last Sunday:
    Donal Vaughan and Cillian O’Connor: Both players passed SCAT 3 head injury assessment (HIA) and did not exhibit any delayed concussion symptoms on subsequent reviews.

Great news on Caff. I'd heard worrying things about his progress, glad he's back in action.

Only got to watch the match at lunch. Very good game but we were lucky to come away with 2 points, it would be fairly bleak without them.

I actually think the way Tyrone play suits us. The blanket nearly forces us to make the right decisions. In defence we have plenty back and we're comfortable enough dealing with that slow build up.

Great to see Aidan back, even better to see him in the FF line. Hope that's a sign of things to come. It's impossible to figure out Rochford but maybe Cillian's deep role has been with a view to an Andy/Aidan FF line. Who the hell knows, hopefully Rochford does.

(Must have been hard on Aidan to drop his clubmate earlier in the week too ;) on that, Irwin still needs a major change in attitude if he'll ever make it from what I've heard.)

It's a shame we haven't seen more of Nally, the dept and quality of the squad is continuing to improve which is a major ask of any league campaign. Great to see Barrett back, if Ger Caff makes a return there'll be some selection headaches back there.

Boland got a bit of a hard time on here. He was poor in the second half but I thought he had a decent first and he hasn't done much wrong all year. He's slight but I still think he has a big role to play even if that is as a sub for the next year or two. He's an intelligent footballer with a great pass, there's always room for that. Reminds me a lot of Dillion. I would love to see him and McLoughs supplying ball into Andy/Aidan. There's no point having them in there if you're not getting good ball into them... Boland, McLoughs, Cillian can all play that intelligent ball.

There was a Championship feel to the game, can't wait for it to kick off now. A win against Donegal now to finish it off nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Is the pitch in McHale park as heavy as it looks from the stands? I reckon our pitch really doesn't suit the kind of football we like to play at this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

glack wrote: »
    Is the pitch in McHale park as heavy as it looks from the stands? I reckon our pitch really doesn't suit the kind of football we like to play at this time of year.

Yep. I walked on it after the Roscommon game, quite heavy underfoot. Not a place for speed merchants, or those that have wintered well.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Blackjack wrote: »
    Yep. I walked on it after the Roscommon game, quite heavy underfoot. Not a place for speed merchants, or those that have wintered well.

Ya it always looks that way. I wonder is there anything that can be done to improve it - it costs us league points every year. Some of our most skilful players play much better at away venues.

Cormac reilly Reffing our game Sunday
    I have no words

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement