Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

km79 wrote: »
    Cormac reilly Reffing our game Sunday
    I have no words

WTF are they thinking :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mayo.mick wrote: »
    WTF are they thinking :mad:

They don't give two fuks. IF they did then Reilly or Lane wouldn't get near a game ever again. Sub standard performances in all games I've ever seen them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

It's hardly an April Fool is it? I just can't get my head around it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

I have no words

Christ :(
    I thought they had banished him to the sideline!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well its all over social media and its on the official GAA site. The guy is going to get some reception and continual welcome during the game.
    They really done care for his safety as all it will take will be one loon.

I knew he was a bit thick, but this is just going the extra mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

yop wrote: »
    Well its all over social media and its on the official GAA site. The guy is going to get some reception and continual welcome during the game.

It's putting an awful lot of pressure on him
    It may work to our adavantage......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Oldtree wrote: »
    Was very exciting to listen to on the radio. Tyrone yet again showing f all skills other than the fist. Real sick of that type of play. Is that the best their manager can come up with, never going to go far with it as nobody really scared of them, so that's a fail.....

It's actually Sickening to read the tripe posted in here. Again we played ye off the park and only again for poor shooting you'd have been back down the road with your arses slapped so don't talk rubbish. And secondly maybe the green and red tinted glasses can be hard to see out of but maybe you missed the treatment dished out to Peter Harte in the first half. He must have been punched five or six time, but he didn't go down crying so maybe you didn't see them

And how any of ye can say the ref helped us is beyond a joke. Amazing stuff lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Do yiz want us to organise "an orchestrated media campaign" or something or other, to give ye a dig out. Any port in a storm and all that. Maybe we could start a #ThingsCormacDid Twitter campaign? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You've more chance getting a garda commissioner the boot than an inter county ref, they're like soviet dictators for keeping their job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Jayop wrote: »
    It's actually Sickening to read the tripe posted in here. Again we played ye off the park and only again for poor shooting you'd have been back down the road with your arses slapped so don't talk rubbish. And secondly maybe the green and red tinted glasses can be hard to see out of but maybe you missed the treatment dished out to Peter Harte in the first half. He must have been punched five or six time, but he didn't go down crying so maybe you didn't see them

And how any of ye can say the ref helped us is beyond a joke. Amazing stuff lads.

Most from Mayo would agree that Tyrone kicked that game away, you'd plenty of wides and dropped a good few into Davie Clarke's hands. But you can't expect us to be thrilled about O'Connor getting that dig at the end and Vaughan being punched a couple of times.
    Let's face it, your side has a reputation for this and Mayo didn't make that up - so when Tyrone are seen to be at that stuff, your past is always going to be dragged up.
    FWIW, I thought it was a good, intense game for March and generally, I think Tyrone under Harte bring something else to the game itself - people love to hate Tyrone but it's up to other teams to get around the defensive system and give it back in the 50/50's. I also agree that Lane was hardly great for both teams, the first black card seemed to set the tone.

Most from Mayo would agree that Tyrone kicked that game away, you'd plenty of wides and dropped a good few into Davie Clarke's hands. But you can't expect us to be thrilled about O'Connor getting that dig at the end and Vaughan being punched a couple of times.
    Let's face it, your side has a reputation for this and Mayo didn't make that up - so when Tyrone are seen to be at that stuff, your past is always going to be dragged up.
    FWIW, I thought it was a good, intense game for March and generally, I think Tyrone under Harte bring something else to the game itself - people love to hate Tyrone but it's up to other teams to get around the defensive system and give it back in the 50/50's. I also agree that Lane was hardly great for both teams, the first black card seemed to set the tone.

See that's a fair point and I wouldn't have a problem with it. However there's been plenty of hyperbolic rubbish too. Poor wee innocent Mayo when in the same game in the first half Peter harte was punched numerous times. Not a word about it.

Bambi wrote: »
    You've more chance getting a garda commissioner the boot than an inter county ref, they're like soviet dictators for keeping their job.

Just because nobody wants to be a referee. A thankless job.

Reilly really shouldn't be anywhere near Castlebar until the whole Limerick thing blows over and that could be a while yet.

See that's a fair point and I wouldn't have a problem with it. However there's been plenty of hyperbolic rubbish too. Poor wee innocent Mayo when in the same game in the first half Peter harte was punched numerous times. Not a word about it.

Mayo haven't been innocent since Horan took over, we have given as good as we've got since then. I'm not winding you up, but I must have missed Harte getting punched - not a great view from the laptop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,463 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not often I agree with you but Mayo are no saints. Then again, there are few teams that are - look at the treatment dished out to Dublin in Tralee.

On the other hand, if all the off-the-ball stuff was eliminated, and we have games like 4-31 to 3-25, would that attract spectators, and would it be a better game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

blanch152 wrote: »
    Not often I agree with you but Mayo are no saints. Then again, there are few teams that are - look at the treatment dished out to Dublin in Tralee.

I'm sure if you had the time you could trawl through the archives for a mistimed Dublin shoulder.
    On the other hand, if all the off-the-ball stuff was eliminated, and we have games like 4-31 to 3-25, would that attract spectators, and would it be a better game?

Clarke would have plenty of practice with his kickouts I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I have no words

The O'Shea's should be allowed select the match referee too..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Most from Mayo would agree that Tyrone kicked that game away, you'd plenty of wides and dropped a good few into Davie Clarke's hands. But you can't expect us to be thrilled about O'Connor getting that dig at the end and Vaughan being punched a couple of times. Let's face it, your side has a reputation for this and Mayo didn't make that up - so when Tyrone are seen to be at that stuff, your past is always going to be dragged up. FWIW, I thought it was a good, intense game for March and generally, I think Tyrone under Harte bring something else to the game itself - people love to hate Tyrone but it's up to other teams to get around the defensive system and give it back in the 50/50's. I also agree that Lane was hardly great for both teams, the first black card seemed to set the tone.

I agree here, I thought Tyrone should have won. I thought the Mayo free to level it was a bit soft.

But all that said Tyrone kicked the wides and the winning score was great and was the difference in more ways than one.

For what's its worth I thought both teams gave as good as they got, AOS threw a few himself, COC was fairly banged up though at the end

I don't mind a bit of rough stuff. Doesn't bother me a bit while I don't want to see anyone being hurt. I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy in this thread.

In the game against Cavan for example every single time Cavan attacked Mayo took at least one of their runners out. I'm. Not exaggerating here, it was literally every time. Tyrone are no angels but I hate reading this crap from the likes of Mayo fans. (not all of them mind you)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I don't mind a bit of rough stuff. Doesn't bother me a bit while I don't want to see anyone being hurt. I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy in this thread.

In the game against Cavan for example every single time Cavan attacked Mayo took at least one of their runners out. I'm. Not exaggerating here, it was literally every time. Tyrone are no angels but I hate reading this crap from the likes of Mayo fans. (not all of them mind you)

No point coming on here doing a Cillian on it and having a tantrum ;)

I don't mind a bit of niggle either but I thought Cillian was taken out with a cheap shot (he was in the air & defenseless... it could have been worse though, more instinct that intent I thought) and O'Shea got a couple of jabs too. They were the only 2 incidents that might be reviewed I thought, fairly stupid on your behalf and it would be better for Mayo if no action was taken. Take aside, I wouldn't be making a song and dance about them either.

All the rest was run of the mill stuff I thought, the game had a good championship edge to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I don't mind a bit of rough stuff. Doesn't bother me a bit

Yes that's obvious ... Love dishing it out don't ye! There are limits to what is called football imo, and Tyrone go way beyond the pale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Yes that's obvious ... Love dishing it out don't ye! There are limits to what is called football imo, and Tyrone go way beyond the pale.

Leave it. There's no point in it.

Who sets the limits? You?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Do yiz want us to organise "an orchestrated media campaign" or something or other, to give ye a dig out. Any port in a storm and all that. Maybe we could start a #ThingsCormacDid Twitter campaign? :D

Haha, stop, its embarrassing already. I do think there is someone stupid enough to have a banner or god knows what else.
    Silly move by the GAA, but hopefully sense will prevail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,530 ✭✭✭irishgeo

cairde maigheo members are getting a free mayo crested hand luggage wheel case.

voucher posted out to your address week of april 3rd
    pick it up in elverys shops in mayo
    available from 19th of april to the 30 sept 2017

10% of anything purchased in elverys on the day you present your voucher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

irishgeo wrote: »

A feckin carry on suitcase!! A jacket would be more in line or a top for the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It appears to be Monaghan v Dublin is the live game on Sunday going by GAA GO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    Monaghan v Dublin is the live game on Sunday.

Good stuff, we've had enough of you Mayo lads beating up the Nordies !!!
    :)

irishgeo wrote: »

I won't say no to a fine piece of luggage. Better than last seasons effort, don't think that warmer has left my wardrobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

statto25 wrote: »
    A feckin carry on suitcase!! A jacket would be more in line or a top for the summer months.

Perfect for that last minute trip to NYC on May 21st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

seligehgit wrote: »

Proper order to be honest. I don't get why the guy who felled O'Connor shouldn't be sanctioned either, this sort of stuff is what the CCCC is there for. If a mayo player did that I'd have no issue with him being banned, it was a nasty act.

Another thing that needs to be cracked down on is this sticking fingers in and around a guy's eye. It happened to Chris Barrett towards the end of the Tyrone game, it seemed to be an attempt to get him to react. It is rampant in games these days. The more they ignore it the more it is going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

In other news, Cormac Reilly is the ref for Mayo v Donegal. I'm sure a lot of you guys will remember his antics in the 2014 semi-final replay v Kerry.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

In other news, Cormac Reilly is the ref for Mayo v Donegal. I'm sure a lot of you guys will remember his antics in the 2014 semi-final replay v Kerry.:(

You're late to the party Kristopherus! I'd say he will get a warm welcome when he arrives in town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

This appointment is a sick joke. He should have been banned from refereeing any GAA match after that performance.
    Anyone know who are the people who appoint referees for inter county matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

tanko wrote: »
    This appointment is a sick joke. He should have been banned from refereeing any GAA match after that performance.
    Anyone know who are the people who appoint referees for inter county matches?

Not sure who appoints them but Reilly was dropped from the referring panel to sideline duties for 2016. He obviously made his way back after.

Sorry to rain on people's parade but can someone tell me what exactly the problem with Reilly is ?

I was at the game in 2014 but have never had the desire to watch it back.

I recall that he should have black carded Enright early on, but I can't recall much else really bad.

He's not the only ref who has failed to black card Enright when it was deserved.

It was poor judgement by the GAA certainly to put him in charge of the replay after Keegan's red was overturned in a manner that we as Mayo fans would be pissing and moaning about had it been one of our opponents who got away with it.

I don't think Reilly was the difference between Mayo losing and winning that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well, he has'nt refereed a Kerry game since. Make what you will out of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Coldrick refereed the first game so Reilly refereeing the second game wasn't anything strange.

I think the outcry against Reilly is a bit sad, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

He didn't have a good game that day. He should have sent Enright off either on a black or a second yellow.

But he made some woeful decisions against Kerry as well that day, which obviously is forgotton here.

I still blame Tommy Carr for a lot of the outcry. He was on Co-Commentry and due to a serious dislike of Kerry he made it seem like every Kerry free was a soft decision. It was thoroughly unprofessional and left a lot of people at home watching the match thinking that it was a biased refereeing performance and not a general poor one.

The two frees that constantly come up are the ones on Donaghy and Barry John Keane in the first half of extra time. For the BJK free Carr totally ignored Colm Boyle's knee coming up tripping BJK up.

The Donaghy one was given for a pull off the ball that was missed by the camera. Carr insisted that it was for the innocuous incident as the ball bounced, ignoring the referee signaling for advantage. Then he gave out about BJK stealing yards to take the free in front of the goal, when that's where the initial free happened.

There was plenty that Reilly got wrong. Some of it went in Kerrys favour, some in Mayo's. The negative reaction also stems from the whole situation, Mayo throwing the first game away late, the fact that the game was in Limerick and the Keegan stuff in the buildup. Then that ****ing muppet invading the pitch and the young lad pushing the guard over at the end of the game strengthened peoples idea that Mayo were robbed.

Then you had all the ****e after that his mother/wife/cousin was from Kerry after the game.

Time to get over it and support your team IMO.

Then again Kerry people haven't got over 1982 or "Dublin Joe" or the disgraceful reaction to David Gough post Semi Final last year. So I could preach the same on the Kerry forum.

However the suggestion that the referee should get a 'reaction' is ridiculous. Focus on supporting the team and ensure ye win to secured Division 1 status.

Edit: To be fair to Tommy Carr I might be amalgamating his comments with Kevin McStays on the Sunday Game the night after. McStay was clearly emotional and while he showed a few token double hops from Mayo that went unpunished the fact that a Mayo man got free reign of the poor refereeing highlight clips clearly wont help on quelling the notion that Mayo were screwed. The other clip that he showed was Peter Crowley being pulled back going down the wing and barging into the Mayo man. He ignored the jersey pull and went with the subsequent barge and gave out about the free.

That was the worst doing we ever got off a referee in Limerick. I'd rather just forget about it tbh.

• Advertisement

Sorry to rain on people's parade but can someone tell me what exactly the problem with Reilly is ?

I was at the game in 2014 but have never had the desire to watch it back.

I recall that he should have black carded Enright early on, but I can't recall much else really bad.

He's not the only ref who has failed to black card Enright when it was deserved.

It was poor judgement by the GAA certainly to put him in charge of the replay after Keegan's red was overturned in a manner that we as Mayo fans would be pissing and moaning about had it been one of our opponents who got away with it.

I don't think Reilly was the difference between Mayo losing and winning that game.

He most definitely was'nt the winning or losing of that game.The head collision of Cillian and Aidan was a significant blow pardon the pun as was the MOTM performance of David Moran,an amazing display.The decision by management to persist with Ger Caff at full back with Kieran Donaghy as his direct opponent was questionable.TBH I only thought there was going to be one winner that day when it was went to extra time..Kerry.

Our real opportunity was the first day and yet again we failed to close the game out.

Having said all that Cormac Reilly's officiating that day was atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

seligehgit wrote: »
    He most definitely was'nt the winning or losing of that game.The head collision of Cillian and Aidan was a significant blow pardon the pun as was the MOTM performance of David Moran,an amazing display.The decision by management to persist with Ger Caff at full back with Kieran Donaghy as his direct opponent was questionable.TBH I only thought there was going to be one winner that day when it was went to extra time..Kerry.

Our real opportunity was the first day and yet again we failed to close the game out.

Having said all that Cormac Reilly's officiating that day was atrocious.

Thought that was the biggest factor in Kerry's win myself.

That was the worst doing we ever got off a referee in Limerick. I'd rather just forget about it tbh.

But apart from his failure to give Enright a black what else did he do to harm Mayo ?

As the other poster alluded to, I think Mayo folks beef with Reilly is a spillover from a lot of other factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

But apart from his failure to give Enright a black what else did he do to harm Mayo ?

Enright was on a yellow already for a tussle with COC off the ball.

Black would have been upgraded to red. Enright also hit AOS off the ball in the leadyp to the second goal and should have walked there as well.

Now a red card is no guarentee of a win. Mayo performed better the week before with 14 men.

As the other poster alluded to, I think Mayo folks beef with Reilly is a spillover from a lot of other factors.

Giving very soft frees to Kerry - mainly Donaghy. I was sitting right in front of a few of them. Gave one in extra time against Colm Boyle who's reaction summed it all up. I don't criticise referees too much but if that game was referred properly then we were in an All-Ireland final.

There were other factors of course, Hennelly's kickouts, Caff being left on Donaghy all game, the clash of heads between AOS and O'Connor etc but it doesn't take away Reilly's performance that day. The proof is there, analysts called him out on it and the GAA even demoted him because of it. I'll say no more, if you're brave enough to watch it again then go for it.

To hell or to Limerick they said! It's a game the Mayo support will never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Sad news coming from ballaghaderreen this evening on the passing of tommy hanley.
    RIP

• Advertisement

RD10 wrote: »
    Sad news coming from ballaghaderreen this evening on the passing of tommy hanley.
    RIP

Terrible news RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

15 years old. Awful awful when you think back to yourself at that age. Thankfully the lads got home but sadly it is only a small comfort.

RIP and best of wishes to the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

RIP Young man, thoughts and prayers with his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Edit: To be fair to Tommy Carr I might be amalgamating his comments with Kevin McStays on the Sunday Game the night after. McStay was clearly emotional and while he showed a few token double hops from Mayo that went unpunished the fact that a Mayo man got free reign of the poor refereeing highlight clips clearly wont help on quelling the notion that Mayo were screwed. The other clip that he showed was Peter Crowley being pulled back going down the wing and barging into the Mayo man. He ignored the jersey pull and went with the subsequent barge and gave out about the free.

Well to be honest, I don't think McStay was that emotional, in fact he is generally very straight in his analysis. I think he showed more incidents where mayo were hard done by, simply because there were far more of them.
    Im no fan of blaming refs, but watch that game back, it genuinely was a terrible performance, where he seemed to just lose track of the rules. Jonny Buckley and Donnacha Walsh were going around like the bash brothers, blocking runs, fouling off the ball, fouling in group tackles, frontal charges on guys in possession and nothing, not even a tick or a word in their ear.

Donaghy fouled Cafferkey several times also, wrestling and manhandling him out of contention for the high ball as it came in, yet he was getting the frees. If that was done on the throw in it would be a free all day long. He ended up shipping a lot of criticism from fans looking for someone to blame, but the guy was hung out to dry by Reilly.

In truth the mayo lads' mistake was trying to continue to play football and were just too honest. The Kerry lads copped what was going on and fair play to them for that. However, if the thing was run properly the ref would have been reprimanded for his performance. We shouldn't simply say 'ah mayo are just sour about losing' - there is a bigger picture at play there; Mayo shouldn't have needed to be cute enough to play the ref, and it was mayo this time, but who will it be next time out? Will it cost Dublin a 3 in a row for example? This time the rather handy 'same old mayo just not good enough' attitude can sweep it under the rug, but when that isn't there, what then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Reilly was awful that day in Limerick and to suggest that he was awful for Mayo and Kerry in equal measure is simply not true, tbh. Kerry got away with murder all day. There's a reason he hasn't reffed an important match since.

That said, I still think the clash of heads between Cillian and Aidan was the biggest factor in our losing that replay. I think I knew it wasn't going to be our day when I saw that happen. But no more than Dublin last year, there should never have been a replay in the first place.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement