Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Reilly's performance that day was just part of the culmination of f**k ups that rankles with Mayo supporters. That day turned normally sane *ish* supporters into raving loons. A lot of people are still very bitter about it. When I heard he was reffing on Sunday, I could actually feel my blood boiling and rising. All those horrible bitter feelings from that whole episode came flooding back.

Why the hell did they appoint him for this, or any Mayo match?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Reilly's performance that day was just part of the culmination of f**k ups that rankles with Mayo supporters. That day turned normally sane *ish* supporters into raving loons. A lot of people are still very bitter about it. When I heard he was reffing on Sunday, I could actually feel my blood boiling and rising. All those horrible bitter feelings from that whole episode came flooding back.

Will you be taking to the pitch again this time Mayo Mick?

I'm not that Mayo Mick!

Actually don't know who named him that. I was getting a bit of stick after it, :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

100 percent agree.
    Reilly bought them extra time through non existent frees . I remember BARRY John brought the free in 15 yards and not a word said .
    ENRIGHT , penalties the list went on .
    We we probably at our peak that year only to have it taken. No fault of Kerry . Kerry did what they had to do . We would have done the same .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

100 percent agree. Reilly bought them extra time through non existent frees . I remember BARRY John brought the free in 15 yards and not a word

I've said this already. That free was for pulling Donaghy off the ball which was off camera. I was down in that Corner and the referee clearly indicated as much. Reilly blew the whistle and marked the spot just to the left of the posts where BJK kicked it.

By all means lambast his performance but that free and the later one when Boyle lifted his knee into BJK were the correct calls.

Enright should have walked. Kerry wasted loads of time in Extra Time by starting fights and Reilly couldn't control it. Kerry picked up some soft frees throughout the match. However Reilly made mistakes on both sides that day. The last free in normal time given against Moran I believe,which gave Hennelly the free to try and win it was for nothing IMO. Kerry batted it put and Mayo had possession but Reilly blew it up before Moran could kick it. I thought that was harsh even though the 3 minutes had just elapsed.

Like many posters on here I just don't think it was Reillys fault. Cafferky and the clash between O'Shea and O'Connor stand out as far bigger reasons for the loss.

Look that's in the past, hopefully ye can get it together and beat Donegal by between 6 and 10 points, Dublin beat Monaghan and Kerry beat Tyrone and we're all happy.

I see the Mayo ladies are playing Kerry in Swinford, at the same time as the Mayo v Donegal game in MacHale. Why can they not be a double header, same as how Dublin seem to manage it, for their minors, hurlers and only last week their ladies? :confused::confused::confused:

C8HB0iGXUAIRzlt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I see the Mayo ladies are playing Kerry in Swinford, at the same time as the Mayo v Donegal game in MacHale. Why can they not be a double header, same as how Dublin seem to manage it, for their minors, hurlers and only last week their ladies? :confused::confused::confused:

C8HB0iGXUAIRzlt.jpg

What condition is McHale Park in? Maybe it is to protect the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

What condition is McHale Park in? Maybe it is to protect the pitch?

Possibly, can't speak for McHale Park but there's still plenty of give in the ground. While I can see the appeal of a double header, there would be murder if the pitch wasn't in as best a condition as possible for such a crucial match.

As an aside, I see Mitchels have started fundraising for a big 4g pitch development. That should come in handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

C8HB0iGXUAIRzlt.jpg

Double header, now that would have been a really great day out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Surely that Donegal U-21 semi-final being postponed until next week is favourable to Mayo? How many of the Donegal seniors that would be playing will miss this Sunday's game?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

was thinking same re. a double header myself.
    probably down to the pitch.
    just read ryan mchugh is out for the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Surely that Donegal U-21 semi-final being postponed until next week is favourable to Mayo? How many of the Donegal seniors that would be playing will miss this Sunday's game?

Those between both panels will still feature, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Those between both panels will still feature, as usual.

Tough going for the lads involved but sure they're only young fellas!

Mattie Donnelly has been handed a one match ban in the aftermath of his altercation with Aidan O Shea.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Mayo team for Sunday has just been announced;

1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
    2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
    3. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
    4. Chris Barrett (Belmullet)
    5. Colm Boyle (Davitts)
    6. Lee Keegan (Westport)
    7. Paddy Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels)
    8. Tom Parsons (Charlestown)
    9. Danny Kirby (Castlebar Mitchels)
    10. Shane Nally (Garrymore)
    11. Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber, Capt)
    12. Fergal Boland (Aghamore)
    13. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
    14. Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)
    15. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)

Mayo team for Sunday has just been announced;

1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
    2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
    3. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
    4. Chris Barrett (Belmullet)
    5. Colm Boyle (Davitts)
    6. Lee Keegan (Westport)
    7. Paddy Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels)
    8. Tom Parsons (Charlestown)
    9. Danny Kirby (Castlebar Mitchels)
    10. Shane Nally (Garrymore)
    11. Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber, Capt)
    12. Fergal Boland (Aghamore)
    13. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
    14. Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)
    15. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)

Happy with that team. i'd like to see diarmuid stay in that position for some of the game to see how he gets on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites) 2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore) 3. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis) 4. Chris Barrett (Belmullet) 5. Colm Boyle (Davitts) 6. Lee Keegan (Westport) 7. Paddy Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels) 8. Tom Parsons (Charlestown) 9. Danny Kirby (Castlebar Mitchels) 10. Shane Nally (Garrymore) 11. Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber, Capt) 12. Fergal Boland (Aghamore) 13. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore) 14. Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen) 15. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)

That's very close to full strength, 11/12 championship starters there I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

That's very close to full strength, 11/12 championship starters there I reckon

Certainly looks good on paper. Throw in aos and sos and its even stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

What game are tg4 showing tomorrow then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

SeanJ09 wrote: »

Monaghan V Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

SeanJ09 wrote: »

monaghan v dublin
    galway v waterford
    both live

kilkenny v wexford defererd
    galway v kildare online live

Mayo hurlers won their relegation playoff against Roscommon this evening.

Mayo 1-16 Roscommon 0-17

Heartiest congratulations to Ballinrobe Community School.They won the All Ireland B senior post primary title defeating St. Ciaran's of Ballygawley(Tyrone) after extra time on a scoreline of 2-19 to 2-16.

RD10 wrote: »
    Happy with that team. i'd like to see diarmuid stay in that position for some of the game to see how he gets on.

If he starts, I'll be surprised. If he starts and stays corner forward, I'll.... I don't know what I would do... but it's ok, it's not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

I wouldn't mind seeing what Diarmuid is like as an out and out forward. I think he needs to be played in a more attacking role. Having him all over the field, doing defensive work and whatnot is a waste, imo.

• Advertisement

PressRun wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing what Diarmuid is like as an out and out forward. I think he needs to be played in a more attacking role. Having him all over the field, doing defensive work and whatnot is a waste, imo.

Also said something similar on here a few months ago. I'd like to see him in close to goal taking opponents on nearer goal. A bit like Lundy for Corofin a few years ago. Mightn't work but worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Sounds like Donegal are giving us all we can cope with. Donegal one ahead playing against a strong wind and the early soft penalty keeping us in it.

Panrich wrote: »
    Sounds like Donegal are giving us all we can cope with. Donegal one ahead playing against a strong wind and the early soft penalty keeping us in it.

It isn't making good listening.

HT: Mayo 1-5 Donegal 0-11. Rossies and Cavan level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

PARlance wrote: »

A favour from the Rossies might be required here. That or a big change in our performance levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Last 15 was AWFUL
    Kickout "strategy" again lacking
    Forward running backwards with the ball and then kicking it away
    3 points down against a VERY strong breeze

Come on Roscommon !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Playing the same way now for 7 games and expecting a different result . Forwards coaching badly lacking with this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Who is that commentator?

I've heard more excitement at a wake.

That's the stuff! And no need to dust down the Rossie thread to thank them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Great win in the end.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Who is that commentator?

I've heard more excitement at a wake.

Mark Gilmore, fairly drab. Local radio needs a lunatic behind the mic commentating.

Astonishing second half . Donegal seemed content to play keep ball from minute one of the second half. Bizarre tactics
    O Shea a COLLOSUS. Where are the people who think he does not deserve his place ? Who would ye play instead of him
    I've said it many times it's personal with some posters and o Shea
    They don't like the limelight he gets
    Jealousy
    We are lucky to have him
    And as for cormac reilly
    Wow wow wow
    Inept is not the word
    He can not get another game this summer

Great to see Higgins played sweeper today too
    He was superb second half

We play best at pace too as second half showed
    Could have had a couple of more goals

Poor in the first half, but picked up the pace hugely in the second half. Aidan O'Shea was instantly targeted when he came on and got a bit of a doing, but he made a huge difference when he came on and I still think it makes a case for having him as an impact sub. He's a magnet for opposition players and could be very useful when the legs are getting a bit heavy.

Andy Moran was ineffective and could have been taken off sooner.

Cillian hit and miss on the frees again.

Fair bit of handbags in the end and Reilly lost control a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Mark Gilmore, fairly drab. Local radio needs a lunatic behind the mic commentating.
    I agree.

Maybe not the lunacy levels of our lisping neighbour though!

• Advertisement

I think Shane Nally is in with a great shout of starting in the championship.

km79 wrote: »
    Astonishing second half . Donegal seemed content to play keep ball from minute one of the second half. Bizarre tactics
    O Shea a COLLOSUS. Where are the people who think he does not deserve his place ? Who would ye play instead of him
    I've said it many times it's personal with some posters and o Shea
    They don't like the limelight he gets
    Jealousy
    We are lucky to have him
    And as for cormac reilly
    Wow wow wow
    Inept is not the word
    He can not get another game this summer

I could'nt agree more km79,Aidan O Shea was outstanding whence introduced.He alongside Higgins dragged us back into that contest with a notable cameo from Stephen Coen.

We were all at sea after the first half playing with a strong wind,Donegal were well deserving of their lead.Five very decent scores from play outside of a calamitous penalty concession by Donegal were all we'd to show.Our build up play was pedestrian and going around and round the garden.Donegal really bullied us in the best possible way with Murphy immense.David Clarke's kickouts were yet again a significant negative in the first half.

Decent start by Donegal to second half and they will really wonder how on earth they lost this game?The fracas that broke out swung the game our way culminating in the red card.O Shea's physicality and ability to win clean ball/drive forward was immense,he won a particularly vital ball at the death.Higgins made some vital forays up the field throwing in a score to boot.The workrate increased and there were less lazy tackles(Kevin McLoughlin really can't tackle).The lads got themselves up for the battle.No doubt about it,when we attack at pace we are an entirely different beast and we must dictate the contests on those terms.

The game in my mind made clear that Fergal Boland is not yet ready for a championship start,David Drake in spite of two starts will not be a starter.I leave McHale Park buoyed by the hope that Seamus O Shea and Ger Cafferkey will be returning to the panel soon.

The 5 yellow cards Cormac Reilly flashed in the middle of the park after yet another serious fraca summed up all that wrong in refereeing nationally,easy way out.He totally bottled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,530 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The crowd invading the pitch before the final whistle is getting embrassing. Twice its happened now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

irishgeo wrote: »
    The crowd invading the pitch before the final whistle is getting embrassing. Twice its happened now.

The last time I recall it was the 2004 Connacht final, has it happened recently ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,530 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The last time I recall it was the 2004 Connacht final, has it happened recently ?

Another league game this season. I forget who.

I'm glad ye survived and already looking forward to Mayo - Galway in division 1 next year :-)

Great win by the lads. very proud of that second half display. il admit i wasnt so sure we'd get the win ten minutes into the 2nd half.
    but i always say it...nobody can stop us when we run at teams like that, its our greatest strength.
    aidan o'shea was colossal when he came on. He really stood out as real leader when brought on, great impact sub. im glad he was used that way today. he was well fired up coming on.
    Keith higgins was superb, he started the whole comeback imo. he turned over so many balls and drove at donegal at every opportunity when he was freed from the shackles of full back.
    Did anybody see what happened diarmuid under the stand? i was the far side. he seemed worse for wear after it. was definately targeted that time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

RD10 wrote: »
    Great win by the lads. very proud of that second half display. il admit i wasnt so sure we'd get the win ten minutes into the 2nd half.
    but i always say it...nobody can stop us when we run at teams like that, its our greatest strength.
    aidan o'shea was colossal when he came on. He really stood out as real leader when brought on, great impact sub. im glad he was used that way today. he was well fired up coming on.
    Keith higgins was superb, he started the whole comeback imo. he turned over so many balls and drove at donegal at every opportunity when he was freed from the shackles of full back.
    Did anybody see what happened diarmuid under the stand? i was the far side. he seemed worse for wear after it. was definately targeted that time.

He got hit on a late challenge. Deegan ignored it. Comical O'Reilly did nothing either.
    Fair old whinge fest on social media from the Donegal lads :D:D

One thing worrying again today is our use of cillian
    Where exactly is he being asked to play ?

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    He got hit on a late challenge. Deegan ignored it. Comical O'Reilly did nothing either.
    Fair old whinge fest on social media from the Donegal lads :D:D
    i could see diarmuid kicking his legs like mad, trying to get free from under that ruck. their was bloody 28 players piled up on top of him. Reilly should have sorted it quicker.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement