Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Syferus wrote: »
    Yeah. Winning Ulster and almost beating Dublin in an AISF at the first time of asking was getting no where.

I don't know if we're watching the same sport sometimes Toddy.

But it was complete muck.

Recent history has shown us that the Ulster championship is the most overrated thing since a team managed by John Evans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1001/731800-mayo-meeting/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

A little video updated on RTE now. Some amount of lads getting into the car at the top of the picture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Much as the management appears poor in terms of tactics, Its abit irish for the team to be dumping all over them when arguably the biggest f*ckup in the 2nd Dublin game was a player seemingly deciding he didnt fancy finishing out the game and acted stupidly to guarantee himself a blackcard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

mickdw wrote: »
    Much as the management appears poor in terms of tactics, Its abit irish for the team to be dumping all over them when arguably the biggest f*ckup in the 2nd Dublin game was a player seemingly deciding he didnt fancy finishing out the game and acted stupidly to guarantee himself a blackcard.

That was never a black card. It was provoked, should've been yellow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

That was never a black card. It was provoked, should've been yellow

No excuse though for Seamie, was foolish in such a vital juncture in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

mickdw wrote: »

What's with the obsession with the Dublin game? These problems have supposedly been brewing for quite a long time. I heard of trouble back during the league. I highly doubt the players would deliver a vote of no confidence on the basis of one incident or one match. I don't think there is one specific issue or moment that has led to this, but rather it has been a build up of several issues over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1001/731800-mayo-meeting/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

A little video updated on RTE now. Some amount of lads getting into the car at the top of the picture!
    And everyone of them claiming mileage hopefully!

PressRun wrote: »
    What's with the obsession with the Dublin game? These problems have supposedly been brewing for quite a long time. I heard of trouble back during the league. I highly doubt the players would deliver a vote of no confidence on the basis of one incident or one match. I don't think there is one specific issue or moment that has led to this, but rather it has been a build up of several issues over time.
    Apparently there was fireworks in the dressing room after the league match against Dublin.
    Since then there's been little or no communication between management and one big name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Anyone think that Joe Brolly's overwhelming praise of Aiden O Shea, picking him as the Footballer of the year and emphasising the defeat to Dublin was the managers fault rather than the players on the Sunday game on the night of the All Ireland Final may have been the final push for the players with the no confidence vote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Apparently there was fireworks in the dressing room after the league match against Dublin.
    Since then there's been little or no communication between management and one big name.

?

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Anyone think that Joe Brolly's overwhelming praise of Aiden O Shea, picking him as the Footballer of the year and emphasising the defeat to Dublin was the managers fault rather than the players on the Sunday game on the night of the All Ireland Final may have been the final push for the players with the no confidence vote?

God, I'd hope the players can form their own opinions rather than listen to the rubbish brolly comes out with!

I doubt anything media-based has led them to this decision. I think they know their own minds well enough and there were supposedly problems long before Joe Brolly would have been bringing it up on the Sunday Game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

But it was complete muck.

Recent history has shown us that the Ulster championship is the most overrated thing since a team managed by John Evans.
    In fairness whatever you make of Ulster that was Donegals first provincial title since 1992 and the dire semi final against Dublin made Jimmy McGuiness realize they weren't far away and a tweaking of their system put them on the road to success.

In regards to Down who had no right to be in the AI final, well 2010 was
    unusual year, all the provincial winners were beaten at the quarter final stage that summer and Down earned the right to reach the last four by defeating the defending champions Kerry however the got the rub of the green to reach the final when beating Kildare.

In fairness whatever you make of Ulster that was Donegals first provincial title since 1992 and the dire semi final against Dublin made Jimmy McGuiness realize they weren't far away and a tweaking of their system put them on the road to success.

In regards to Down who had no right to be in the AI final, well 2010 was
    unusual year, all the provincial winners were beaten at the quarter final stage that summer and Down earned the right to reach the last four by defeating the defending champions Kerry however the got the rub of the green to reach the final when beating Kildare.

Ah ha, that is the crux of what I am saying about judging H&C after two years rather than one.

We have the benefit of hindsight to see that Donegal made the necessary tweaks for 2012 but people are not willing to give H&C the opportunity to make any tweaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Ah ha, that is the crux of what I am saying about judging H&C after two years rather than one.

We have the benefit of hindsight to see that Donegal made the necessary tweaks for 2012 but people are not willing to give H&C the opportunity to make any tweaks.

It's not that simple. McGuinness had complete buy in from his squad. Donegal were successful because the players believed in Jimmy and his methods and were willing to go to hell and back for him. It's not 'people' who are unwilling to gave Noel and Pat another chance, it's the players, and that's the crux of the matter. They have to go and the sooner the better, for all involved.

• Advertisement

It's not that simple. McGuinness had complete buy in from his squad. Donegal were successful because the players believed in Jimmy and his methods and were willing to go to hell and back for him. It's not 'people' who are unwilling to gave Noel and Pat another chance, it's the players, and that's the crux of the matter. They have to go and the sooner the better, for all involved.

That's true, and he alienated Kevin Cassidy in the process.

But I was talking in more general terms of how folks here rate McGuiness as a tactical genius after 4 years body of work but rate H&C as inept after one.

Some people here are also dreaming of McGuiness taking over Mayo.
    Do they think he would get the same buy in from the Mayo lads as he did from his own in Donegal.

Turmoil and strife between players and managers in Mayo is not something that just started last Sunday, its been going on for decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

That's true, and he alienated Kevin Cassidy in the process.

But I was talking in more general terms of how folks here rate McGuiness as a tactical genius after 4 years body of work but rate H&C as inept after one.

Some people here are also dreaming of McGuiness taking over Mayo.
    Do they think he would get the same buy in from the Mayo lads as he did from his own in Donegal.

Turmoil and strife between players and managers in Mayo is not something that just started last Sunday, its been going on for decades.

Not a Mayo man myself, but I do think that bunch of Mayo players would follow their manager through the gates of hell to win an All-Ireland if they thought he could get them there.

neiphin wrote: »
    ?

The poster was speculating as to when problems started between H&C and the players.

According to a friend of mine who would always have news from the county scene, it was after the league match against Dublin.

Terrible stuff from the County Board.

Senior players packed into a 04 Ford Focus.

Down here in Kerry the senior players drive around in 151 or 152 cars with their name and the name of the sponsoring dealer written on the side.

Down with this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Alarm bells would have rang out for me after the abject performance against the Tyrone blanket defence in the league,Pat Holmes seemed to indicate that he hadn't encountered anything of a similar nature.TBF to him I think his quote was taken out of context... He was alluding to the fact that he'd never come across a team who put all their players behind the ball,worrisome nonetheless.The management seemed clueless as to how to deal with same.
    As bad as the Dublin defeat was,it was coming in my mind after that game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Mayo were cruising to victory in the replay against Dublin until one or two frankly bizarre decisions lost them the game, the main one taking off Barry Moran. After that Dublin completely obliterated Mayo at midfield, cleaned up around there and it was open season from there.

The management lost that game, not the players. People blame the players, but if you take off performing players and leave on non performing ones, who is to blame there? Bad tactics, bad substitutions, inability to tweak things, same old problems.

It was almost like the management deliberately wanted us to lose that game when Mayo were going so well.

Its fairly clear Holmes and Connelly are not up to this job. Any half decent manager could get this Mayo team to an AI semi final. It takes good management to get them further. The quicker they go the better for all concerned. At the moment they are helping drag Mayo football through the mud.

Its also clear the Mayo County Board couldn't pick a manager with tactical nous in a million years. All Mayo players and supporters ask for is management with a bit of tactical ability to them. If they have to go outside the county for that, so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

For some reason some seem to have it in for this management team since the get go, going back 12 months the McStay/McHale option seemed more favourable to some.

And some seem to be going out of your way to excuse them.
    Go figure.

You have to admit it was shady the way they were appointed from the get go.
    It was a slap in the face to McStay, it reaked of amateurism and insider dealing.
    It wasn't a good start.
    Some even said (including around here I think) that it could come back to bite the CB in the ass and so it has come to pass.
    A lot were wary of the joint managers setup, ignoring the fact that the two had worked well together before and that many here lamented that Horan did not have someone on his shoulder to help him out with the big calls.

Then as another poster pointed out people seem to be making it up as they go along when finding ways to show that the management was inept during the Dublin games.

They were inept !
    Otherwise could you please explain why the fook they persisted with AOS at full forward when it was plain to see it wasn't working.
    To me it ranks up there with one of the most puzzling things of the year - a hurling manager leaving a defender on a full forward who was getting the biggest roasting of the decade.
    BTW I wouldn't be surprised to expect some developments in that squad as well.

Then add in the no midfield, Donie Vaughan on, etc.
    For me this team did as well as I expected this year, and I was going to give them until the end of next year to really judge them.

They had already come close over the last few years, they should not regress they should be pushing on.
    Winning Connacht is no achievement anymore.
    Beating an aging non functioning Donegal team is not much of an achievement either.
    Dublin were there for the taking in the drawn match and we were damm lucky that they hadn't scored more goals.

The squad isn't getting any younger.
    Should players just postpone their actual lives knowing full well that they are probably wasting their time ?
    But if there are real problems under the hood that are holding back the team then yes its time to move on to someone else, but if its just a case of these guys missing Horan then they would have to cop on and fast.

I agree and I would hope that is not the case re Horan.
    Because H&C have every right to be pissed that there abilities to run this team have been brought into question in the last few days by noting other than speculation.

They got this team to a AI SF replay against the biggest powerhouse in the country, beating Galway away and last years finalists in the process.

Did you watch Donegal this year ?
    Luck, and players playing beyond themselbes is a big part of it.

I'm gettinga bit sick of this 'we need a tatitical genius on the side line talk', yea good tactics and good reading of the game is handy but the above two are also huge.

And a manager who can see something in front of him on the day that is as obvious to the rest of us as the noses on our faces after we watch it for the 14th time on Sky +and Ciaran Whelan or Joe Brolly has told us what should have been done.

Well maybe if they had listened to joe Brolly earlier in the year they would have done something about our defense.

And it has been a problem with our past manager as well who I couldn't believe said something along the lines of not believing in blanket defenses or sweepers because it took away from our game.
    FFS shipping soft goals wins you nothing.
    That is a glaring reason he should never be let near the job again.
    And everyone of them claiming mileage hopefully!

You think the CB and managers don't ?

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    And some seem to be going out of your way to excuse them.
    Go figure.

You have to admit it was shady the way they were appointed from the get go.
    It was a slap in the face to McStay, it reaked of amateurism and insider dealing.
    It wasn't a good start.
    Some even said (including around here I think) that it could come back to bite the CB in the ass and so it has come to pass.

They were inept !
    Otherwise could you please explain why the fook they persisted with AOS at full forward when it was plain to see it wasn't working.
    To me it ranks up there with one of the most puzzling things of the year - a hurling manager leaving a defender on a full forward who was getting the biggest roasting of the decade.
    BTW I wouldn't be surprised to expect some developments in that squad as well.

Then add in the no midfield, Donie Vaughan on, etc.

They had already come close over the last few years, they should not regress they should be pushing on.
    Winning Connacht is no achievement anymore.
    Beating an aging non functioning Donegal team is not much of an achievement either.
    Dublin were there for the taking in the drawn match and we were damm lucky that they hadn't scored more goals.

The squad isn't getting any younger.
    Should players just postpone their actual lives knowing full well that they are probably wasting their time ?

I agree and I would hope that is not the case re Horan.

Did you watch Donegal this year ?

Well maybe if they had listened to joe Brolly earlier in the year they would have done something about our defense.

And it has been a problem with our past manager as well who I couldn't believe said something along the lines of not believing in blanket defenses or sweepers because it took away from our game.
    FFS shipping soft goals wins you nothing.
    That is a glaring reason he should never be let near the job again.

You think the CB and managers don't ?

My excuse for preferring the current management over the McStay one is that I thought they were better equipped, and I still believe they are, we will see how Ros do next year all be it starting from a much lower base.

My concern about this present problem is that even though I think the players really want something better I'm worried that they don't exactly have a feasible alternative in mind.

I'm old enough to remember '92/'93 all too clearly.

And I'll just make this final point.
    Many have said that Barry Moran was dead on his feet, or at least on the way to being that way when he was taken off v Dublin.
    Had the management left his in and he died a death out there I'm sure their are plenty here who would be calling them inept for keeping him in.
    The problem started with SOS, not with the withdrawal of Barry Moran, and that was no ones fault but his own.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

My excuse for preferring the current management over the McStay one is that I thought they were better equipped, and I still believe they are, we will see how Ros do next year all be it starting from a much lower base.

My concern about this present problem is that even though I think the players really want something better I'm worried that they don't exactly have a feasible alternative in mind.

I'm old enough to remember '92/'93 all too clearly.

And I'll just make this final point.
    Many have said that Barry Moran was dead on his feet, or at least on the way to being that way when he was taken off v Dublin.
    Had the management left his in and he died a death out there I'm sure their are plenty here who would be calling them inept for keeping him in.

The problem started with SOS, not with the withdrawal of Barry Moran, and that was no ones fault but his own.

He was, thats what they are using the GPS systems. I think its more to do with the fact he was used in that role, they should have used him better and should have known his limitations. They left us with no midfielder. Expected AOS to go out to midfield was mental considering his lone role and the work he had to go through.

Plenty of rumour on top of rumour, its a bit daft at this stage.
    Some people saying that the management should stay and dump those against on the sidelines and bring in new players.... like what fkn planet are they on.

End of the day, players dont want the management, the County board need to sort it out, but the core of the issue is the county board. We all know that at this stage, lads in jobs who are there on favors and for the spotlight on the big occasion.
    Where this will end, who knows, but its a stance the players have to take and I for one agree with it. These lads have short careers and need the men at the top to be top at their job. Nice lads Connellly and Holmes, but we are went backwards in the league and made no progress in the AI series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

The taking Barry Moran off due to the info from GPS was conjecture. It wasn't confirmed it was just one possible reason put forward by James Horan.
    Even if we was out of juice it was still a bit naive. We only needed him to stand under the dropping ball on the next 5 or 6 kickouts to run the clock down. Barry is 6'5" he doesn't have to get off the ground that much to win a kickout.

Rochford is odds on to be the next manager, the problem is when.

I have no problem with a change being made but we better see this team in a final next year (all other things being equal, they avoid Dublin and Kerry) and them leaving every ounce of themselves on that field in that final.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The taking Barry Moran off due to the info from GPS was conjecture. It wasn't confirmed it was just one possible reason put forward by James Horan.
    Even if we was out of juice it was still a bit naive. We only needed him to stand under the dropping ball on the next 5 or 6 kickouts to run the clock down. Barry is 6'5" he doesn't have to get off the ground that much to win a kickout.

Not conjecture, its fact.

Rochford is odds on to be the next manager, the problem is when.

I have no problem with a change being made but we better see this team in a final next year (all other things being equal, they avoid Dublin and Kerry) and them leaving every ounce of themselves on that field in that final.

Certainly wouldn't look good if Galway come along and beat them in castlebar next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Mayo are now further away from an AI final than they have been since 2011 Todd. Uncertainty and unrest rarely leads to success.

yop wrote: »
    Not conjecture, its fact.
    With respect you got that fact from the backroom team? Regardless Barry Moran out on his feet is better on kickouts than Stephen Coen who came on. We didnt need Barry to be a runner just break ball or catch some against Dublin lads specializing in kickouts.

• Advertisement

With respect you got that fact from the backroom team? Regardless Barry Moran out on his feet is better on kickouts than Stephen Coen who came on. We didnt need Barry to be a runner just break ball or catch some against Dublin lads specializing in kickouts.

Bit more to midfield play than standing under kick outs though.

Bit more to midfield play than standing under kick outs though.
    Im well aware of that.

I got it from someone who knows.

Dublin go their goal from AOS not having the legs to follow him through the hole from the kickout, BM was in the same state. Dublins goal led directly from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

I hope this doesn't develop like the last dispute we had here in Cork. The CB (led by one administrator) set out to take on the players and assert their authority, once and for all. They had a manager that was prepared to stick it out, 'til the bitter end and they employed a professional PR Firm to issue press releases. They were intent on undermining the players and some of the press releases were offensive with one player's employers being referred to. However, the public were well aware of what the CB were up to and were generally supportive of the players. Over 12,000 people attended a rally in Patrick St, Cork in Feb 2009. It was all over, bar the shouting, at that stage. The players then invited club representatives to a meeting and the players were met with a standing ovation, when they entered the meeting room. Most clubs then voted on the matter with c. 90% support for the players. These players had contested 4 AI finals in a row, winning 2 and narrowly losing the other 2.

IMO, the Mayo Players are held in similar high regard for their huge effort and commitment.

If the players are forced to detail the specific issues, they will probably come across as petty and demanding. H & C are obviously totally committed to Mayo Football and did their level best. They will be gutted at this but will seek to preserve their reputations.

The CB appointed them in accordance with set procedure - there is no mid-term review. It's very hard to fire them under these circumstances. In normal circumstances, the CB would realise that Mayo have an exceptional group of players who want things done right and once the management has lost the dressing-room then that's it. However, with the Chairman being a brother of a manager, I can't see common sense and reason winning the day here.

I hope I'm reading this wrong as apart from Cork, there's no team I'd prefer to see win Sam than Mayo. The notion that these Mayo Players are bottlers is offensive and absurd. They've drawn with the last 2 AI winners and were victims of a bad ref in 2014.

The only way for H & C to appreciate the correct action is for Mayo Supporters to make it clear that they want them to walk away now.

I hope this doesn't develop like the last dispute we had here in Cork. The CB (led by one administrator) set out to take on the players and assert their authority, once and for all. They had a manager that was prepared to stick it out, 'til the bitter end and they employed a professional PR Firm to issue press releases. They were intent on undermining the players and some of the press releases were offensive with one player's employers being referred to. However, the public were well aware of what the CB were up to and were generally supportive of the players. Over 12,000 people attended a rally in Patrick St, Cork in Feb 2009. It was all over, bar the shouting, at that stage. The players then invited club representatives to a meeting and the players were met with a standing ovation, when they entered the meeting room. Most clubs then voted on the matter with c. 90% support for the players. These players had contested 4 AI finals in a row, winning 2 and narrowly losing the other 2.

IMO, the Mayo Players are held in similar high regard for their huge effort and commitment.

If the players are forced to detail the specific issues, they will probably come across as petty and demanding. H & C are obviously totally committed to Mayo Football and did their level best. They will be gutted at this but will seek to preserve their reputations.

The CB appointed them in accordance with set procedure - there is no mid-term review. It's very hard to fire them under these circumstances. In normal circumstances, the CB would realise that Mayo have an exceptional group of players who want things done right and once the management has lost the dressing-room then that's it. However, with the Chairman being a brother of a manager, I can't see common sense and reason winning the day here.

I hope I'm reading this wrong as apart from Cork, there's no team I'd prefer to see win Sam than Mayo. The notion that these Mayo Players are bottlers is offensive and absurd.

They've drawn with the last 2 AI winners and were victims of a bad ref in 2014.

The only way for H & C to appreciate the correct action is for Mayo Supporters to make it clear that they want them to walk away now.

Well we know its village idiots who make comments like that and anyone who has played at any level at club or county will have the common sense to not label lads who have lost finals/semi finals as bottlers.

We've been beaten by the last 5 AI winners at semi or final stages. It sounds even more sickening putting it that way.

With the brother at the head then this is going to get uglier unless the 2 lads walk away, but the majority of the CB are sticking by them and thats what the mass walk out was last night.

From Feb of this year there has been one issue after another and the players have voiced this through their reps, these concerns have not been heeded or acting on.
    You've a CB who have ignored anything fans have voiced over the years and ridiculed us for it, calling us petty and always having something to moan about, now they are doing the same to the players. The level of arrogance and self righteousness at CB level is incredible, but expected when the same rabble are left intact for decades.

I REALLY do hope this ends over the weekend, if it doesn't then who know what will happen.

From Feb of this year there has been one issue after another and the players have voiced this through their reps, these concerns have not been heeded or acting on.
    en.

Really? If the player reps brought attention to things throughout the year and nothing was done to address them, then I can understand their frustration. But I've read or heard nothing that suggests this is the case. Why would the players not just say this in a statement?? It would put pressure on management to resign then as their failings would be public.

Really? If the player reps brought attention to things throughout the year and nothing was done to address them, then I can understand their frustration. But I've read or heard nothing that suggests this is the case. Why would the players not just say this in a statement?? It would put pressure on management to resign then as their failings would be public.

Why do the players need to make a statement? The players are under no obligation to make any statement to the public or media, their line of reporting, if that is the correct word, is strictly to the CB and the liaison officer through the players reps.
    I am sure the players still have a level of respect for both the mentors and its not required or appropriate that they make public statements.

Its well known that there has been issues since the Dublin league game.

There has been many team/management disputes and the grievances have never in most cases been made public.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Not a Mayo man myself, but I do think that bunch of Mayo players would follow their manager through the gates of hell to win an All-Ireland if they thought he could get them there.

I'd like to think the same.

But this group of players have been around for 5 seasons and they have yet to go through that wall, even though they have been given plenty of opportunities.

Sure we have had some great wins in that time but on each occasion when the chips were really down they failed to deliver.

In my memory no Mayo player or players has ever pulled a do or die game by the scruff of the neck and won it.

The '06 SF and this years SF being a possible exception.

Far too many times on the really big day too many have underperformed.

And that's not a criticism of players they have put an awful lot in but they have just not been able to put in the extra bit it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Why do the players need to make a statement? The players are under no obligation to make any statement to the public or media, their line of reporting, if that is the correct word, is strictly to the CB and the liaison officer through the players reps.
    I am sure the players still have a level of respect for both the mentors and its not required or appropriate that they make public statements.

Its well known that there has been issues since the Dublin league game.

There has been many team/management disputes and the grievances have never in most cases been made public.

You are absolutely right about this. The players are extremely bright, highly educated people and will be very well advised by the GPA. They are fully aware of the difficulties particularly due to CM/Manager connection.
    They only took this step as they are convinced that H&C can't take the team forward. That is the issue and everything else is only semantics.

Mayo CB and Mayo Supporters have been literally spending millions every year in pursuit of the Holy Grail - they are within touching distance and this cannot be re-railed by failure of management.

Unfortunately the players are unpaid professionals and the administrators are unpaid amateurs (Runai excepted) The Runai was extremely quick in going to the media - that solves nothing.

The only manager to survive the loss of the dressingroom was Justin McCarthy in Limerick who were not AI contenders - and that was a shambles.
    Mayo have become accustomed to success and the CB officials have got used to their expense paid trips to CP - they are gung ho at the moment and blindly following their compromised CM. Rabble rousing here is pretty easy - how can we turn over control to players ? How can we appoint the next manager ? etc etc - The manager(s) can't afford to lose the dressing-room - simple as.

The level of intelligence in many executives is disappointly low and that may also be the case with Mayo - they are charging headlong into a conflict that they can't win. I just hope that they realise this sooned rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The CB have only themselves to blame after the shambles of the appointment.

I don't think the players are under any obligation to publicly give reasons for why they want the management gone either. It also may be worth bearing in mind that it might never have been the players' intention for this to become so public in the first place and the reasons for the no confidence vote could potentially be embarrassing for the management. It could possibly be in the best interests of all involved if it's kept behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Both are gone per a statement released by the county board there

H&C have stepped down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Management have walked I hear

H&C have stepped down.

That's good news, though for them but good news all the same.

Now to get the next part right.

• Advertisement

Statement Re: Mayo Senior Football Team

Tonight Friday 2nd October at 7.00p.m. at Elverys MacHale Park a meeting took place of the Mayo GAA County Board Executive. The members of the executive were briefed on the meeting which took place on Thursday evening 1st October between the Mayo Senior Footballers and officers of the County Board. The Mayo Senior Football Team Joint-Managers, Noel Connelly & Pat Holmes, then joined the meeting where they gave a detailed review of the season just gone. They then issued the following statement:

“It is with heavy hearts that we wish to announce that we (Noel Connelly & Pat Holmes) are stepping down from our role as joint managers of the Mayo Senior Football Team with immediate effect. We took on the job on a three-year basis and had been looking forward to building on what had been achieved this year. We are passionate about Mayo Football and it is deeply disappointing not to complete our project. By resigning we wish to remove any obstacle that the players might perceive as preventing them from winning the All-Ireland. We would like to thank the back-room team for their superb effort and commitment. We wish to thank the Mayo County Board for their support and for all the funding and resources they provided for the team. We would like to thank the players for all their efforts during 2015. We would also like to thank the people of Mayo for the huge support and messages of goodwill throughout the year and in the last week. Mhaigh Éo Abú.”

The statement was greeted with a round of applause and standing ovation from the members of the executive before the joint managers departed the meeting.

Members of the Executive then spoke where the joint Managers of Noel Connelly & Pat Holmes along with their backroom team were sincerely thanked and praised for their dedication, commitment and hard work over the last year where it was also noted the very difficult last few days that they experienced along with their families. Noel & Pat are both decorated footballers and managers and owe nothing to Mayo Football and both along with their families are wished all the very best in the future whatever that may hold.

There will be no further comment from the executive or management until the next statement is issued from the Mayo County Board.

Ends.
    Statement in full.

That's good news, though for them but good news all the same.

Now to get the next part right.
    Indeed.

Just posted their statement there, they've put the ball firmly back in the player's court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Sad. But if this what needs to happen then so be it. Thanks Noel & Pat. I reckon we will never find out what went on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Tonight Friday 2nd October at 7.00p.m. at Elverys MacHale Park a meeting took place of the Mayo GAA County Board Executive. The members of the executive were briefed on the meeting which took place on Thursday evening 1st October between the Mayo Senior Footballers and officers of the County Board. The Mayo Senior Football Team Joint-Managers, Noel Connelly & Pat Holmes, then joined the meeting where they gave a detailed review of the season just gone. They then issued the following statement:

“It is with heavy hearts that we wish to announce that we (Noel Connelly & Pat Holmes) are stepping down from our role as joint managers of the Mayo Senior Football Team with immediate effect. We took on the job on a three-year basis and had been looking forward to building on what had been achieved this year. We are passionate about Mayo Football and it is deeply disappointing not to complete our project. By resigning we wish to remove any obstacle that the players might perceive as preventing them from winning the All-Ireland. We would like to thank the back-room team for their superb effort and commitment. We wish to thank the Mayo County Board for their support and for all the funding and resources they provided for the team. We would like to thank the players for all their efforts during 2015. We would also like to thank the people of Mayo for the huge support and messages of goodwill throughout the year and in the last week. Mhaigh Éo Abú.”

The statement was greeted with a round of applause and standing ovation from the members of the executive before the joint managers departed the meeting.

Members of the Executive then spoke where the joint Managers of Noel Connelly & Pat Holmes along with their backroom team were sincerely thanked and praised for their dedication, commitment and hard work over the last year where it was also noted the very difficult last few days that they experienced along with their families. Noel & Pat are both decorated footballers and managers and owe nothing to Mayo Football and both along with their families are wished all the very best in the future whatever that may hold.

There will be no further comment from the executive or management until the next statement is issued from the Mayo County Board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Double post

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement