Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Why not, it keeps the others on their toes and in a few months lads can improve playing with "better" players around them than going off to their clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

I think it's a good idea. Most of those lads might not be quite ready for the step up just yet, but being around the squad and training with the can only be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

What was the result of the minors today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

What was the result of the minors today?

3-15 to 0-11 win for Galway. Savour these good times with our Senior side as at this rate, getting to Croke Park will become a novelty in years to come. Hugely worrying the underage county setup. Alot of people had high hopes for this group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Fowler87 wrote: »
    3-15 to 0-11 win for Galway. Savour these good times with our Senior side as at this rate, getting to Croke Park will become a novelty in years to come. Hugely worrying the underage county setup. Alot of people had high hopes for this group

I always feel people overstate underage results and their impact on future senior teams.

Let's be honest you could have a super collective team at minor with very few standout individuals. Id much rather have a useless team every year if they produced 1 top senior player each

Many players don't peak well into their 20s. Id bet any amount a lad born in 1999 that didn't tog out today will be a key player for the senior team in the near future for years.

• Advertisement

Also, it's an argument for another day, but what a daft time to be playing minor champ. Lads doing first year college exams at the moment and the LC only slightly over a month away

jr86 wrote: »
    Also, it's an argument for another day, but what a daft time to be playing minor champ. Lads doing first year college exams at the moment and the LC only slightly over a month away

Is this the last year of the minor as an u18 comp? Understand there is u17 kicking off soon too.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Is this the last year of the minor as an u18 comp? Understand there is u17 kicking off soon too.

It is as far as I'm aware!

I always feel people overstate underage results and their impact on future senior teams.

Let's be honest you could have a super collective team at minor with very few standout individuals. Id much rather have a useless team every year if they produced 1 top senior player each

Many players don't peak well into their 20s. Id bet any amount a lad born in 1999 that didn't tog out today will be a key player for the senior team in the near future for years.

Perhaps. But there is no denying that a winning mentality gained at underage has a positive impact on the progression to senior. No doubt if 1 or 2 players will come out of this group maybe in years to come and develop into solid senior county players.

However there are big issues that need looking at overall in the county underage. Imo first positive step is to combine the two Ted Webb Mayo teams.

Bear in mind a Kerry under 21 team beaten by 25 odd points by cork, made up a large proportion of a sam Maguire winning team three years later

• Advertisement

Bear in mind a Kerry under 21 team beaten by 25 odd points by cork, made up a large proportion of a sam Maguire winning team three years later

:eek: didn't know that. It's rare enough that I imagine. No doubt management, setup, resources etc. has a massive impact at senior level.

Ah just disappointing to see a promising group taken a beating at home like that. Let's hope the lads involved can learn and improve from it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

It is argument for another day because where would the current Mayo senior team be right now if it wasn't for the good successfully U21s teams in 2006 to 2009

The Connacht minor championship the last number of years has been played off at the end of June and early July after the leaving cert. Last year they had a situation whereby Roscommon v Sligo played quarter final on a Saturday and the winner Roscommon had to play a rested Galway in the Semi final the following Wednesday.

To prevent that situation from repeating itself todays Quarter final was brought forward with the winner Galway getting a good rest before playing Roscommon in the semi final in late June.

Would 17/18 year olds really rather be potentially out of a championship in April (when they have enough distractions going on) than play 2 matches in 5 days later in the year and with free schedules?

If so, God help these fellas if they want to play Sigerson at college and continue a county career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Maybe we shouldn't be concerned but look st our rivals Kerry and Dublin. Kerry have s huge amount riding on the success of their u21's and minors .
    That u21 Dublin outfit the last day were a carbon copy of the seniors in terms of their play .
    So are we shy at our underage development ? . I am certainly not knowledgeable enough to know .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Anyone see Martin Breheny's newest article on the Holmes/Connelly debacle?

I think he is underestimating the readers to be honest. Does he genuinely think that people cant see that articles are very often, written with a certain slant of narrative? It's insulting to people's intelligence for him to feign indignation at this assertion, not unlike his contrived assertion that Alan Dillon being unhappy at being dropped meant that there was player power. Talk about taking people for fools. It is like watching a card trick where you can see the card up the guy's sleeve.

As for his claims that he wanted to deliver the full story without bias - that is nearly as laughable as Jim Gavin's latest assertions that nobody in the Dublin set up gets paid. Again, Breheny seems to assume people don't understand how journalists and the media work.

Here is the reality of it, for my money. Mayo have been around for a while now. Like any team, sooner or later, they will fall by the wayside. They have came up short a few times, have a few characters that people dislike, and have had a bit of controversy - not unlike the cork hurlers before them. Breheny and co frankly, see a story. They know that when they do fall away there will be plenty wanting to read articles sticking the boot in. Simply put, they want to be on that gravy train early doors. That is the long and short of it, he is just angling for the story on the inevitable.

The thing is, predict any team to lose and wait long enough, and you will ultimately be right. Fact is mayo made the all Ireland final and were the best team in the drawn game after breheny made his assertions. Therefore, he got it wrong, and revisiting it over and over will never change that.
    Sorry Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

I've the Indo app in my phone and saw the headline for this latest article. I refuse to click on it. I also refuse to read any article by Breheny. I'm not critiscising you but by even referring to it on here gives it more oxygen. The whole Connelly-Holmes thing is so in the past and had no relevance even last December when Breheny wrote his "scoop". December is always a slow month for GAA coverage as it was and the articles / expose were a cheap way of filling the GAA section. I imagine this latest article is based on a throw away line provided by AOS at some GAA promo during the week. Breheny is a joke at this stage.

I get what you are saying, but if the article is being roundly criticised etc, then I don't think that is giving it oxygen, but rather highlighting how inadequate it is. Id argue that letting it go every time, means they can stay there spouting what they want for as long as they like, which is sort of what has got us the current situation with brolly on the SG.

Plus I believe it is important to highlight how unfair/poor/inaccurate some articles are. People should have to answer for their work, the same way players do for their performances. Id love to see pundits made to make predictions every year, with those prediction recorded and later explored. They get it far too easy - it is the best job in sport these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That article was the biggest butt hurt load of tripe I've seen written in t a long time. It's amazing how many of these journalists and pundits that are literally paid to stick the boot in time and time again have such incredibly thin skin if anyone dares to call them up on it. The saddest thing about it is that the rest of their buddies will circle the wagon around them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

I could be wrong but the only national paper on this whole Connelly-Holmes and Mayo bandwagon has been the Indo. Primarily Breheny with a couple of other Indo hacks providing some "intelligent" comment at the time to back him up.

They constantly highlight all of Mayo's supposed deficiencies and conveniently fail to remember that Mayo were just a point behind the "greatest team of all-time" after 140+ minutes of football.

That's why they're best ignored. What GAA journo is best to read these days for fair balanced coverage? Very few out there...the more extreme, one-eyed outrageous articles or headlines sells newspapers. Maybe it says more about your average GAA supporter than the GAA journalists currently out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

None of them really. I tend not to read much anymore in the papers because they're all pretty terrible. Kieran Cunningham in the Irish Star was always pretty good but I don't buy papers now and afaik the Star website doesn't show their articles. I like to read that lad from Derry Conan Doherty too but a lot of his articles are click bait. When he does actually put some thought into something it's normally very reasoned.

Podcasts are about the only decent coverage you get anymore for GAA on a national level. After that local journos are generally the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

What did AOS think he was doing going there in the first place.
    He has been around long enough now to know journalists were going to ask about it the first opportunity they got.
    The official line from the Mayo county board and management at the time was no comment, so why he now has to go and open up the can of worms again is just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

charlie14 wrote: »
    What did AOS think he was doing going there in the first place.
    He has been around long enough now to know journalists were going to ask about it the first opportunity they got.
    The official line from the Mayo county board and management at the time was no comment, so why he now has to go and open up the can of worms again is just stupid.

I was afraid to bring up that point but I agree totally. He could have shot the line of questioning down but instead he has brought it back into the limelight with his vague 'I know something you don't know answer'. The team should be concentrating for 3 weeks time not that sh1t from the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

There will probably be a time again when no one is interested in what Mayo Players , Former payers , Managers , Former mangers have to say......

This may be the God Times when People are somewhat interested in Mayo Football.......

Take it all with a pinch of salt...Its not very serious in the great scheme of things...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

I see Tom turbo is starting for New York

Jayop wrote: »
    That article was the biggest butt hurt load of tripe I've seen written in t a long time. It's amazing how many of these journalists and pundits that are literally paid to stick the boot in time and time again have such incredibly thin skin if anyone dares to call them up on it. The saddest thing about it is that the rest of their buddies will circle the wagon around them too.

Agreed. The way some journalists operate these days is something that doesn't sit well with me. An awful lot have become bullies with a microphone, who complain about the standards of others, while regularly sinking below the belt themselves. They put words in people's mouths, ask loaded questions and take the response out of context on purpose. That isnt good journalism, that is a race to the bottom and a nasty way to operate, as far as Im concerned.

Charlie14, I get what you are saying re O'Shea, he needs to wake up to the real world a bit, in my opinion. But on this occasion, he literally said one sentence, i.e. that all the details were not accurate and that the paper will write it in a certain way. Considering we got one side of the story, delivered in a very obviously deliberate manner, Id argue O'Shea has said nothing that anyone with half a brain didn't know already, and breheny knocking another lengthy article out of it only confirms this more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Breheny comes across as a man who is completely obsessed with Mayo football and who has a real axe to grind with the team. He really needs to get a grip.
    I saw that article and just rolled my eyes and said to myself, ah here not this sh!te again. Talk about flogging a dead horse.
    It's personal against the team at this stage which isn't nice to read even for a neutral. Paper never refused ink though and I suppose some changing rooms will just lap it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

The man is obsessed. It's more than a little strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Call me Al wrote: »
    Breheny comes across as a man who is completely obsessed with Mayo football and who has a real axe to grind with the team. He really needs to get a grip.
    I saw that article and just rolled my eyes and said to myself, ah here not this sh!te again. Talk about flogging a dead horse.
    It's personal against the team at this stage which isn't nice to read even for a neutral. Paper never refused ink though and I suppose some changing rooms will just lap it up.

It was news back in October 2015.

It was news again on the morning of June 19th 2016.

It was news again at half time in the Fermanagh qualifier.

It stopped being news soon after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Both Brehany and O'Shea are as bad as each other.  Why did O'Shea feel the need to comment on it, he could have said no comment its over and done with but he cant resist the limelight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

kilns wrote: »
    Both Brehany and O'Shea are as bad as each other.? Why did O'Shea feel the need to comment on it, he could have said no comment its over and done with but he cant resist the limelight.

Did Aidan not have a new haircut to promote? :confused:

He cant actually resist the limelight despite never doing anything of note to be actually in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

He cant actually resist the limelight despite never doing anything of note to be actually in it

I think the media like interviewing him and he likes this so if he says anything it gets into the paper. Granted he was at an event but I do agree he needs to be a bit smarted than this and just focus on his football. It is crazy he even engaged into the conversation on this can of worms when he had nothing to gain

I think the media like interviewing him and he likes this so if he says anything it gets into the paper. Granted he was at an event but I do agree he needs to be a bit smarted than this and just focus on his football. It is crazy he even engaged into the conversation on this can of worms when he had nothing to gain

With the answer he gave you would swear he had a book coming out

Really? Says some joe soap posting on an internet forum :D

Aidan O'Shea is one of the top intercounty footballer for one of the top teams in the country. He's done far more to help Mayo win an All Ireland (and fans achieve their dream) than anyone on this forum put together

He's dead right to go out and get a few handy quid for himself

New York to beat Sligo this evening what do we reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Aidan O'Shea is one of the top intercounty footballer for one of the top teams in the country. He's done far more to help Mayo win an All Ireland (and fans achieve their dream) than anyone on this forum put together

I have nothing against any inter county lad making a few bob on the side, but if I was his manager or one of his team mates I wouldn`t be thanking him for re-opening that can of worms while doing it with the championship just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

naughto wrote: »
    New York to beat Sligo this evening what do we reckon

The Yeats county came out on top.

New York 1-13 Sligo 1-21

Sunday 21st May 2017

Connacht Senior Football Championship quarter final

Mayo v Sligo 2.00 MacHale Park

charlie14 wrote: »
    I have nothing against any inter county lad making a few bob on the side, but if I was his manager or one of his team mates I wouldn`t be thanking him for re-opening that can of worms while doing it with the championship just around the corner.

Totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Top teams win prizes and top players stand out for good reason.manys the big match day o shea was anonymous. The consistency you would expect from a top intercounty footballer as you refer to him was never there.hit and miss bud and o shea is only out to feather his own nest the most of the time.A back seat manager,garden patch superstar and a missing person come match day.tired from carrying around a big head he's too tired to kick a ball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Top teams win prizes and top players stand out for good reason.manys the big match day o shea was anonymous. The consistency you would expect from a top intercounty footballer as you refer to him was never there.hit and miss bud and o shea is only out to feather his own nest the most of the time.A back seat manager,garden patch superstar and a missing person come match day.tired from carrying around a big head he's too tired to kick a ball

I wouldnt be the biggest fan of AOS. But that is an incredibly harsh and unfair view of him. He has had more good games than bad games for Mayo & he has performed in big games. He was excellent v Tyrone last year for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

This is why I prefer rugby, the players actually listen to the ref and respect him.

A week off the last time tor trolling didn't work so maybe a month will.

Next one will be permanent.

The difference between guys who get media exposure  is that they have all performed when it mattered the most can any Mayo fan say that O'Shea has done that when they needed him the most

Bambi wrote: »
    Did Aidan not have a new haircut to promote? :confused:

2559165.main_image.jpg?strip=all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

The difference between guys who get media exposure  is that they have all performed when it mattered the most can any Mayo fan say that O'Shea has done that when they needed him the most

Sure the only games he plays well in are the ones that Mayo win - bit like Colm Cooper according to Joe Brolly :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

I never fully understand all the criticism of Aidan. Sure, he frustrates me at times running into tackles etc but he brings something to the team that none of the other players bring. His physicality and raw power terrify opposition teams. So much so he gets a lot of "special treatment". We really missed him while he was injured (as well as Seamus) as they bring some serious power and he diverts attention away from other forwards. If he was just a bit quicker to pop the ball off to a teammate....

Without him we're a much weaker team. That's the only thing that matters.

Yes, he's fond of media attention but does anyone honestly think it affects his performance?

Barlett wrote: »
    Sure the only games he plays well in are the ones that Mayo win - bit like Colm Cooper according to Joe Brolly :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Aidan O Shea is a really easy target for the naysayers stemming from a dislike by some of the O Shea clan which preceded the whole management fiasco.Unfortunately at times he's his own worst enemy with his occasional love of the media/limelight.

However do we really want our top players to be as dull as ditch water?He is a good looking lad who is at the peak of his career,he's not a dirty player.He is very good with the young children who are part of the Mayo fanbase,the GAA need role models for our next generation of players,I believe he fits into that category.The media are inevitably going to be drawn to him but he's not proven himself to be savvy in his media dealings.He needs to box cleverer.

I don't believe he himself or anybody else considers that he is anywhere near touching distance of the pantheon of greats but this notion that he's never played a quality game in his career is laughable.

Evidently he'll have to have the Celtic cross medal in his back pocket before he can move up to the next level.I do wish we were in possession of a forward of the quality of Conor McManus who I rate the best in the business probably alongside Paul Geaney but yet one would hardly know he exists.

The whole argument is symbolic of the minority who are always waiting in the long grass for Mayo chokers to lose,pretty pathetic.They'd prefer if we were nice old Mayo,competing admirably but the ultimate good losers.

The only way Mayo and Aidan will silence such begrudgery and unnecessary animosity is by bringing home Sam.

BTW I do enjoy Aido' s diaries on the Reservoir Dubs website,good harmless fun.I think he might knock a laugh out of the diaries himself.

glack wrote: »
    I never fully understand all the criticism of Aidan. Sure, he frustrates me at times running into tackles etc but he brings something to the team that none of the other players bring. His physicality and raw power terrify opposition teams. So much so he gets a lot of "special treatment". We really missed him while he was injured (as well as Seamus) as they bring some serious power and he diverts attention away from other forwards. If he was just a bit quicker to pop the ball off to a teammate....

Without him we're a much weaker team. That's the only thing that matters.

Yes, he's fond of media attention but does anyone honestly think it affects his performance?[
    /QUOTE]

I do not believe the media work affects his performance levels in the slightest but he has yet to perform the ultimate of performances on the day that matters.. Ask Ireland final day.

Concur with all your other sentiments expressed.We are much weaker without him,he is targeted for a lot of special treatment.

His lack of mobility and ability to last seventy minutes limit his effectiveness.He can be such a frustrating player to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

That's it really he just tanks, he's a great player IMO. You might not like the comparason but in many ways he's your Ciaran Whelan until Mayo win sam. People slag him, don't rate him, say he's inconsistent had too many bad days etc.

Yet Fenton and Moran for Dublin and Kerry are similar in many ways with good and bad days etc, Moran more so as he has similar fatigue and mobility issues. Yet everyone rates the others to ahead of AOS where as in reality he's every bit as good, or they are every bit as inconsistent as him.

Harrison out for the Sligo game pulled his hamstring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

naughto wrote: »
    Harrison out for the Sligo game pulled his hamstring

Torn from what I've heard. He'd do well to be fit for the Galway match if we reach it, tears usually take a good number of weeks to heal but it depends on the severity of it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement