Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

The mere fact o'shea gets so much begrudgery just tells you all you need to know about how good he is

martyos121 wrote: »
    Torn from what I've heard. He'd do well to be fit for the Galway match if we reach it, tears usually take a good number of weeks to heal but it depends on the severity of it.

Impossible to know. Players often come back in 3 weeks

kilns wrote: »
    The difference between guys who get media exposure  is that they have all performed when it mattered the most can any Mayo fan say that O'Shea has done that when they needed him the most

O'shea's performance against Tyrone last year was one of the most effective I've ever seen in a mayo shirt. A game they were underdogs in.

Wonderfully set up a goal too in the final replay, without which the game could potentially have been over at HT

I'm not convinced you'll be prepared to accept rational opinion around him though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

A couple of years back I met aiden coming off the pitch after a particularly hard match. He was exhausted and his face was a mess. To be honest I was shocked at the sight as he was almost unrecognisable, with all the brusing and lumps, yet he still took the time to sign my daughters jersey as she asked him to.

Imo this is the kind of deep character we need in our team.

In my eyes he has proved himself again and again over the years, we are human after all, and I look forward to seeing what he can do again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Oldtree wrote: »
    A couple of years back I met aiden coming off the pitch after a particularly hard match. He was exhausted and his face was a mess. To be honest I was shocked at the sight as he was almost unrecognisable, with all the brusing and lumps, yet he still took the time to sign my daughters jersey as she asked him to.

Imo this is the kind of deep character we need in our team.

In my eyes he has proved himself again and again over the years, we are human after all, and I look forward to seeing what he can do again this year.

Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Anyone get to the any of the Championship games last weekend? Will be interesting to see how Westport fair this year, decent start with an away draw to Garrymore. Breaffy hammered Davitts and had Irwin and Ruane on the bench.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PARlance wrote: »
    Anyone get to the any of the Championship games last weekend? Will be interesting to see how Westport fair this year, decent start with an away draw to Garrymore. Breaffy hammered Davitts and had Irwin and Ruane on the bench.

I would have expected Irwin to start that game. Is he injured or just not "making" the grade?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

yop wrote: »
    I would have expected Irwin to start that game. Is he injured or just not "making" the grade?

Mentioned in the Mayo News Ruane out for 3 months with surgery on his Ankle

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭boosabum

seligehgit wrote: »
    Well said.

In my opinion, a top athletic in any sport proves himself by doing it when it's needed the most. This is the biggest days of all.
    His record is poor in this manner, both for his club and county.
    Top players can lose big games and still be the best player on the pitch, too often this hasn't been the case.
    There's no doubt he's an approachable guy with a good personality, but it's a winning mentality that people most remember. The kerry O'sheas all seem to be nice guys too but they were leaders on the pitch for their parish and county. This is ultimately how AOS will be judged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

BTW I do enjoy Aido' s diaries on the Reservoir Dubs website,good harmless fun.I think he might knock a laugh out of the diaries himself.

Have you a link to that? Couldnt find it.

naughto wrote: »
    Harrison out for the Sligo game pulled his hamstring

Ger Cafferkey back in Championship action was the other big news from the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

AOS lacks the end product in big matches, ie AI semi finals and particularly finals.

He's a James Horan type player, can run and tackle and hand pass all day, but ask him to kick a couple of points or score a goal in an AI final and you will be waiting.

He is what he is and yes he gets special treatment but so do all the top players, yet they still manage to come up with something magical on a frequent basis.

AOS lacks the end product in big matches, ie AI semi finals and particularly finals.

He's a James Horan type player, can run and tackle and hand pass all day, but ask him to kick a couple of points or score a goal in an AI final and you will be waiting.

He is what he is and yes he gets special treatment but so do all the top players, yet they still manage to come up with something magical on a frequent basis.

Would you have examples of top players who come up with something magical on a frequent basis in recent years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Would you have examples of top players who come up with something magical on a frequent basis in recent years?
    Brian Fenton over the last two years his performances in all games have been consistently of high quality
    Cluxton not much can be said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

You're contradicting yourself here, he is either a top player or he is not, can't have it both ways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well, Lee Keegan for one.

Why am I the one pointing that out? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

after the success of the long ball by new york against sligo into the full forward. i would be sticking aos in forward and play the exact same way.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Well, Lee Keegan for one.

Why am I the one pointing that out? :confused:

It was worth it for that alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Keegan is head and shoulders above O'Shea or any other Mayo player for that matter, why dont you see him  doing much media work....

Lee Keegan isn't shy about talking to the press. He is just far cuter about where and when he does it and what he says....or more importantly, doesn't say !
    It was worth it for that alone...

Yeah, that's what Dermo thinks too. ;)

• Advertisement

Most of the Dublin forwards of recent years; both Brogans, McManamon, Andrews, Rock, Flynn, Kilkenny also as mentioned Brian Fenton, and even MDM, as well as most of the Dublin backs including McCaffrey and O'Sullivan. Consistent, proven players on the biggest occasions.

Aside from that, Gooch up to 2013, Michael Murphy, Canavan, and many others who have produced when it mattered, on AI final day.

AOS cannot be counted in that bracket until he delivers a big game on AI final day, as in he helps his team to victory.

I may be tough on him but sport at that level is tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Imo diarmuid connolly has never delivered in a final.......
    He didn't even get going in the replay and was being outscored by his marker until an incorrect black call let him into it
    In fact he rarely delivers in semis either ......and doesn't always finish them if memory serves me correctly ..........but he doesn't seem to have this thrown at him like o Shea does
    Maybe he has better quality players around him .....?

Most of the Dublin forwards of recent years; both Brogans, McManamon, Andrews, Rock, Flynn, Kilkenny also as mentioned Brian Fenton, and even MDM, as well as most of the Dublin backs including McCaffrey and O'Sullivan. Consistent, proven players on the biggest occasions.

Aside from that, Gooch up to 2013, Michael Murphy, Canavan, and many others who have produced when it mattered, on AI final day.

AOS cannot be counted in that bracket until he delivers a big game on AI final day, as in he helps his team to victory.

So, win an AI and you can be included in that bracket. If that's the yardstick then fair enough. He's the Mayo of Mayo so. Good but not good enough. I think it's fairly simplistic approach but it works if you want it to.

If you look at him as a player and drop him into the Dublin team then he makes your list.

Most of the Dublin forwards you've mentioned haven't been consistent performers in the last few years. Dublin are a great team and each of them have had their moments as you would expect. That's the strength of the Dublin setup, one or two of them are going to have a good day.

Keegan & Fenton are the two that get close to your superman-esque expectations. Both have much free'er roles.

For players who play a similar role, get similar attention and have a similar ability, I would look to compare him to Murphy, Connolly & Donaghy.
    Murphy is just a better and more influential player.
    Donaghy was extremely effective but has serious talent around him to bring it out.
    Connolly is a class player but hasn't really dominated in the final stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

As long as Mayo continue to fall short during the championship no Mayo player will get the full credit that others do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Good time to point out that there is no "I" in team. No one man is responsible for a win or a loss.

I am not sure who you think disagrees with you on this statement.:confused:

kilns wrote: »
    Keegan is head and shoulders above O'Shea or any other Mayo player for that matter, why dont you see him? doing much media work....

Totally agree but he does some media work but boxes much cleverer than Aidan O Shea.He's far more media savvy than O Shea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Totally agree but he does some media work but boxes much cleverer than Aidan O Shea.He's far more media savvy than O Shea.

Ya very true. Alot of people forget that Keegan was also put on the most influential players and kept most of these players quiet. He is just an all round top top player. I think the bigger the occasion the bigger he raises his game. He really is a special talent and will do what is required for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Advertisement

Not sure if it's being mentioned but the Mayo squad for the championship was announced on Sunday.

David Clarke
    Rob Hennelly
    Chris Barrett
    Colm Boyle
    Ger Cafferkey
    Stephen Coen
    Caolan Crowe
    David Drake
    Patrick Durcan
    Brendan Harrison
    Keith Higgins
    Lee Keegan
    Shane Nally
    Donal Newcombe
    Eoin O Donoghue
    Donal Vaughan
    Danny Kirby
    Barry Moran
    Seamus O Shea
    Tom Parsons
    Fergal Boland
    Alan Dillon
    Jason Doherty
    Conor Loftus
    Kevin McLoughlin
    Andy Moran
    Diarmuid O Connor
    Cillian O Connor
    Aidan O Shea
    Conor O Shea
    Evan Regan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

km79 wrote:
    Imo diarmuid connolly has never delivered in a final....... He didn't even get going in the replay and was being outscored by his marker until an incorrect black call let him into it In fact he rarely delivers in semis either ......and doesn't always finish them if memory serves me correctly ..........but he doesn't seem to have this thrown at him like o Shea does Maybe he has better quality players around him .....?

He was great in 2011 when the heat was on and again in 2015, as a ball winner in midfield. He steps it up him and Flynn that's why it worrying for us to see them drop off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Not sure if it's being mentioned but the Mayo squad for the championship was announced on Sunday.

David Clarke
    Rob Hennelly
    Chris Barrett
    Colm Boyle
    Ger Cafferkey
    Stephen Coen
    Caolan Crowe
    David Drake
    Patrick Durcan
    Brendan Harrison
    Keith Higgins
    Lee Keegan
    Shane Nally
    Donal Newcombe
    Eoin O Donoghue
    Donal Vaughan
    Danny Kirby
    Barry Moran
    Seamus O Shea
    Tom Parsons
    Fergal Boland
    Alan Dillon
    Jason Doherty
    Conor Loftus
    Kevin McLoughlin
    Andy Moran
    Diarmuid O Connor
    Cillian O Connor
    Aidan O Shea
    Conor O Shea
    Evan Regan

Who's in and who's out from last year? Rather than me going through the list and trying to figure it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Who's in and who's out from last year? Rather than me going through the list and trying to figure it out.

In (I think)
    Crowe
    Newcombe
    Kirby
    O Donoughe
    Boland

Out
    Freeman
    Gibbons
    Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Off the top of my head so might be wrong on some

Outs:

Keane, Gibbons and Freeman

Ins:

Newcombe, O'Donaghue and Boland.

I'll take a stab at the who's out... Freeman, Kevin Keane, Hall, Gibbons & Reape

Adding Carolan to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Definite this time {m Looked it up)

Outs

Michael Hall
    Kevin Keane
    Jason Gibbons
    Cathal Carolan
    Alan Freeman
    Brian Reape

Ins:

Donal Newcombe
    Eoin O'Donoghue
    Danny Kirby
    Fergal Boland

We had 33 in last years panel, 31 this year

Panrich wrote: »
    Definite this time {m Looked it up)

Outs

Michael Hall
    Kevin Keane
    Jason Gibbons
    Cathal Carolan
    Alan Freeman
    Brian Reape

Ins:

Donal Newcombe
    Eoin O'Donoghue
    Danny Kirby
    Fergal Boland

We had 33 in last years panel, 31 this year

With Reape dropping down to the development panel.

Development Panel:
    Matthew Ruane, James Carr, Seamus Cunniffe, Adam Gallagher, Brian Reape

No news of the 6th and final member of this panel afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

PARlance wrote:
    Development Panel: Matthew Ruane, James Carr, Seamus Cunniffe, Adam Gallagher, Brian Reape

Did I hear that Ruane is to have ankle surgery?

• Advertisement

Did I hear that Ruane is to have ankle surgery?

Not sure, he was named on the bench for Breaffy last weekend.

Are any of the "ins" the kind of free scoring forwards we have been looking for in recent years? If not then it will be more of the same, outscored from play in big games.

Are any of the "ins" the kind of free scoring forwards we have been looking for in recent years? If not then it will be more of the same, outscored from play in big games.

Not really,we have to hope the likes of Conor Loftus,Fergal Boland,Evan Regan and Conor O Shea can push on and offer a greater scoring threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Stoner wrote: »
    He was great in 2011 when the heat was on and again in 2015, as a ball winner in midfield. He steps it up him and Flynn that's why it worrying for us to see them drop off

I don't think he was in the in 2011 game tbh, and 2015 was a hiding, Myself and yourself would have looked half decent in that game. The 2015 semi final however, he wasn't in either of those games. I think he gets more praise than he maybe deserves at times, a bit like Aidan O'Shea actually at times, although O'Shea probably gets more criticism than he deserves at times too, whereas Im not sure Connolly does.
    The guys who have stepped up for Dublin in big games are brogan, cluxton, o'sullivan, flynn. Even guys like Fitzsimons, Cooper, Rock and Bastick have done so more than Connolly for me. Not trying to be sniping at him or anything like that, that is just how I see it.

As for AOS in the media, I too wish he would shut up. But at the same time, we are always lamenting these say-nothing interviews that are so commonplace in the gaa. Jim Gavin could talk for an hour and you would be none the wiser. We cant have it both ways either. Personally, I think AOS suffers from the same public dislike that C Ronaldo does, i.e. when it comes down to it, people just don't like the cut of his jib, and so any excuse and they are on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

In fairness its easier to " step Up " if 3 or 4 of your teammates are also stepping up.........

Not really,we have to hope the likes of Conor Loftus,Fergal Boland,Evan Regan and Conor O Shea can push on and offer a greater scoring threat.

Can't see much hope there unfortunately. Loftus and Boland look good players but I feel both will take a couple of years before (if) they become key players. I can't see Regan and O'Shea offering much more than what they've offered in the past.

Overall, I think we've a slightly stronger squad than last year but that'll be due to young players like Coen, Durcan, Harrison's continued progression.

At the moment I think we're well short. Kerry are on the up and I don't think Dublin will be as poor this year (they weren't at full tilt last year).

The main hope for me still comes in the form of a major shake up in the forwards. Aidan in the FF line and possibly the injection of a running wing back into the HF line, someone offering something new, helping the transistion into attack.

• Advertisement

There has to be a couple of prolific forwards in the whole of Mayo.

The squad is made up of very similar players, big strong men able to mix it physically, able to tackle and run all day. But lacking an end product in the final third. You need the big men, but you also need a Canavan, Gooch, Brogan or Joyce, someone clinical on front of goals. We don't have individual forwards who can score 4 or 5 points from play week in week out and that is going to be our downfall.

Question - how many Mayo forwards are genuinely two footed, in that they consistantly score pts off their weaker foot, on their weaker side, on a regular basis? I've been to every Dublin/Mayo game this decade & I don't remember seeing all that many. I could be wrong, as you are so caught up in the game on match day, it's easy to lose track of the specifics of the scoring.

For all the constant harping on about marquee forwards, CO'C not scoring enough from play, where to play Aido etc etc, your having two footed players, is rarely mentioned. That boat may have sailed for the current crop of forwards, but is it being coached from development squad/minor level on upwards? It is in Dublin and it's made a massive difference, as very few players are naturally ambidextrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't think he was in the in 2011 game tbh, and 2015 was a hiding, Myself and yourself would have looked half decent in that game. The 2015 semi final however, he wasn't in either of those games. I think he gets more praise than he maybe deserves at times, a bit like Aidan O'Shea actually at times, although O'Shea probably gets more criticism than he deserves at times too, whereas Im not sure Connolly does.
    The guys who have stepped up for Dublin in big games are brogan, cluxton, o'sullivan, flynn. Even guys like Fitzsimons, Cooper, Rock and Bastick have done so more than Connolly for me. Not trying to be sniping at him or anything like that, that is just how I see it.

As for AOS in the media, I too wish he would shut up. But at the same time, we are always lamenting these say-nothing interviews that are so commonplace in the gaa. Jim Gavin could talk for an hour and you would be none the wiser. We cant have it both ways either. Personally, I think AOS suffers from the same public dislike that C Ronaldo does, i.e. when it comes down to it, people just don't like the cut of his jib, and so any excuse and they are on it.

How could you leave Philly Mc out of that list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Doherty, DOC, AOS very one footed. Cillian and McLoughlin occasionally use the weaker boot but not two footed comfortably.

Cillian O Connor would be the most comfortable player off two feet. He's kicked an occasional point off of his ciotog.

But it's a point well made re a certain blindness to the advantage of trained ambidexterity within a squad and most especially in the forward department.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement