Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seligehgit wrote: »
    Cillian O Connor would be the most comfortable player off two feet. He's kicked an occasional point off of his ciotog.

But it's a point well made re a certain blindness to the advantage of trained ambidexterity within a squad and most especially in the forward department.

Ambidexterity, what a brilliant word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Cillian O Connor would be the most comfortable player off two feet. He's kicked an occasional point off of his ciotog.

But it's a point well made re a certain blindness to the advantage of trained ambidexterity within a squad and most especially in the forward department.

Yeah, am surprised that the Mayo mgt and coaching team over the years, do not seem to have highlighted it as a problem to be fixed. If they had, we'd see the evidence of it on the scoreboard. Same with the players themselves. None of ye lot here, have brought it up all that much either. There is a lot of naval gazing, about the need to unearth this mystery marquee forward, that is going to bring Mayo to The Promised Land. But what about just making the forwards that you already have better, in one very, very important area? Am I the only one who thinks its odd that this seems to have been over looked in recent years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Has handy Andy not got some scores off his left. The best two footed player we have is Keegan for sure. Can remember him landing some super points off his left.

They have definitely worked on hand passing with the weaker hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yeah, am surprised that the Mayo mgt and coaching team over the years, do not seem to have highlighted it as a problem to be fixed. If they had, we'd see the evidence of it on the scoreboard. Same with the players themselves. None of ye lot here, have brought it up all that much either. There is a lot of naval gazing, about the need to unearth this mystery marquee forward, that is going to bring Mayo to The Promised Land. But what about just making the forwards that you already have better, in one very, very important area? Am I the only one who thinks its odd that this seems to have been over looked in recent years?

As wirelessdude01 has stated Keegan is by far our best player kicking off either foot,totally went out of my head.As he stated Andy Moran can kick points off his weaker foot too,ditto Paddy Durcan.

This issue has been looked at in the Mayo setup,I reference an excellent article by Kieran Shannon the sports psychologist who formerly worked in same setup.It possibly has not brought the improvement needed as yet.

To understand why Mayo have been so remarkably competitive over the last six years ? more than your own county if you happen to be from somewhere other than Dublin, Kerry, and for a couple of seasons there, Donegal, so the last thing you should do is sneer at them ? and then to understand why they continuously and depressingly fail to be the best of the best, it is worth exploring that word they and Jim Gavin?s Dublin continuously use: ?The process?.

The first time I spoke with that group of Mayo players a little short of five years ago in my role as a performance consultant with a background in sport psychology, a fundamental principle we laid down was victory had to be earned. As Ali so eloquently put it, you had to put in the work away from the lights in order to shine and win under those lights. The better you got, the better it got.

We spoke about Armagh and the point that won them the 2002 All-Ireland. A ball had dropped short into Benny Tierney?s arms. He was 33 at the time. At 32 he couldn?t kick pass the ball to his wing backs; he?d just hand the ball off to Enda and Justin McNulty in front of him just as he?d been doing since he was 10, playing with them for Mullaghbawn. Joe Kernan suggested to him he develop a kick pass to skip a line and get the ball to the likes of Aidan O?Rourke quicker. But not to worry if he couldn?t do it after three league games; it would take time. And to definitely not to worry about it if he couldn?t do it by the end of the league, because he?d just go and get a goalkeeper who could. At 33 Benny Tierney made a pass he couldn?t at 32 and fed Aidan O?Rourke who played a diagonal ball into Stevie McDonnell.

Earlier that year Stevie McDonnell recognised he was too reliant on his right foot for scores; he needed to work on his left. It meant at times he looked incompetent, ball after ball spiralling wide at training when he could have just turned back onto his right.

By September McDonnell could swing off his left and kicked what ended up being the last score of that final against Kerry. It was a series of such invisible victories that led to the victory that was visible to us all, with Kieran McGeeney lifting Sam Maguire.

To virtually a man that Mayo squad totally bought into that philosophy. They understood at times it would mean feeling and looking foolish. But we spoke about the ice-skater learning to do a more advanced move. It would mean repeatedly falling down, but so what? Smack the ice.

I especially remember one Saturday morning in MacHale Park a couple of weeks after that year?s league final, about six weeks out from the first round of championship. The players came up to the gym in sets of three, where before being passed on to me for some individual goal-setting, they first met Ed Coughlan, the team?s then S&C coach with also a training in skill acquisition. He asked the players to take off their runners. So they take off their runners, in most cases, taking off their right shoe before their left. That was Coughlan?s point; if you?re right handed, you tend to do everything with your right first. But if you were to start doing things with your left, it would set off neurons that would help improve everything off your left. So to improve their left-hand fist-passing, there were players who didn?t just fist-pass to a team or to a wall 100 times a day; they?d brush their teeth with their left hand. Ger Cafferkey walked out the door that day with a bottle in his hand, only to put it back down on the ground, and then, to the laugher of us all, slide over to the other side of the bottle and pick it up with his left hand and recommence his walk to the door. That was the mentality of the group. That was their commitment to the process.

There were countless examples of it. Andy Moran on Donie Vaughan?s doorstep on a Bank Holiday Monday, the day after a poor shooting day the day before up in Ballyshannon, and heading to the local pitch in Ballinrobe. Cillian O?Connor?s free-taking range off the ground didn?t extend to the 45-metre line that May, but after smacking the ice repeatedly that summer, he?d nail huge frees in that year?s Connacht final against Sligo and then in the All-Ireland semi-final win over Dublin.

The process extended to other areas. Victory wasn?t something you deserved as if you were owed something for time served. You had to earn it, most significantly in three areas ? S&C, skill development and nutrition/lifestyle. And you committed to it because you?d come to love the process and you loved and were committed to the cause, of liberating a people mad about its football.

Yet here we are, four more All-Ireland semi-final or final defeats later, and still no Sam, still no liberation for those people of Mayo.

Because, in a nutshell, the virtue and philosophy that drives them forward is also internally compromised. They are producing under the lights exactly what they are doing away from the lights.

They are a phenomenal bunch of tacklers, indicative of their honesty and commitment and the time they give to that aspect of the game. But has their shooting adequately improved? Is there anywhere near as much emphasis on their shooting as there is on their tackling? Are they only coaching and doing what they?re most comfortable coaching and doing?

In last year?s two epic Dublin-Mayo clashes, Dublin had five different players who scored off either foot over the two games. Mayo had only one ? Lee Keegan. This year Mayo had none. Cormac Costello?s first two points were off his left; his last point was his right. C?est la difference. Mayo had to continuously recycle the ball last Saturday because they weren?t adequately comfortable shooting off their non- dominant side, and in some cases, like Aidan O?Shea, not confident to shoot right away even on their strong side. You can get away with that against 28, 29 counties. But not against Dublin.

Mayo did make some key, incremental, encouraging advances this year. Up to this September, you had to go back to when James Horan himself was playing in 1996 for the last Mayo starting forward to score a point from play in the second-half of an All-Ireland final. Over the last two games, Andy Moran, Cillian O?Connor, Diarmuid O?Connor and Kevin McLoughlin have bucked that trend and joined that list. But notably, O?Shea hasn?t. For all the big-name coaches and gurus Mayo have had in their ranks the last five years, their most physically talented player has obviously not been sufficiently challenged and coached well enough to earn victory on that front.

Very early on in my work with those Mayo players, I cited the words of a psychologist and public speaker, George Zalucki, whose work Mickey Harte had introduced me to. ?Nature knows your power. And she can?t tolerate your lies. And she dishes us back in direct proportion how much we deserve to succeed. Where a person sits today is exactly who they?ve settled for up to that moment in time. That?s the cool, hard truth of it.?

Mayo have deserved to outlast your county the last five championships. They deserve to reach All-Ireland finals. Men like Colm Boyle, Cillian O?Connor, Lee Keegan, Donal Vaughan; chances are the guys in your county aren?t smacking the ice like they are. To paraphrase the NFL legend Ray Lewis, those men are pissed off for greatness; ain?t none of those men happy with being mediocre. But is O?Shea, someone who looked destined to be greatness, being adequately challenged as to why his shooting is so mediocre? Do they not realise his power and recognising how nature is not tolerating any lies? Are they asking him to smack the ice? Are management willing to be strong enough to do a Joe Kernan and say they?ll get someone else who?ll do it if he won?t?

In one of my last workshops with the group, in the summer of 2014, I spoke to the players about John Healy, the journalist from Charlestown who spoke about shouting stop. Were they as fellow proud Mayo men going to be the ones who?d shout stop? The actions they took last October suggested yes. Even something like Ger Cafferkey calling on club games to be delayed further epitomised that mindset. The way they fought and fought the last two days against Dublin was also that of a team screaming STOP! But it only took them so far because on some things they?ve failed to shout stop.

Until all of them earn victory, none of them get victory. Until they all smack the ice, they?ll all continue to smack the ground in tears every September.

Alternatively, if they all do the work away from the lights, they?ll all get to dance with the cup under the lights. It?s still there for them. It?s still up to them.

Perhaps as you've stated it's simply too hard to teach an old dog new tricks whence the old tricks are so ingrained in the mindset.I certainly do hope our next generation of young footballers are from kindergarten :D are going to be taught how to handpass and most importantly be comfortable kicking off either foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

In the long kickout vs the short kickout debate, has anyone got any stats for mayo that show turnovers from all kickouts?

What I'm trying to establish is - is the short kickout a 50/50 ball too? Or in this more modern running hand pass block defence game is it less than 50/50, and is that why the long kickout is persisted with rather than goalies not varying the kickout despite apparent turnovers, that posession is now less advantageous in your own half than distance up the field from a kickout?

I've noticed a few club goalies do this with the short kickout almost disappearing, but their kickouts are much lower in height and not the balloons that telegraph where the ball is going.

Or is this somthing that just suits a slightly smaller pitch than mchale?

Perhaps as you've stated it's simply too hard to teach an old dog new tricks whence the old tricks are so ingrained in the mindset.I certainly do hope our next generation of young footballers are from kindergarten :D are going to be taught how to handpass and most importantly be comfortable kicking off either foot.

It is recognised that basic skills need to be taught correctly at a very early age and then built on correctly over time to maximise the players skills/mindset. Any small divergence cannot be corrected without a huge amount of work later if at all.

The difference this makes to counties that incubate, for want of a better word, when the kids get to senior football is quantifiable and gives the county a slight advantage over those that don't. And it's all about slight advantages.

The gaa are currently driving this idea forward trying to get all underage coachs trained up.

Mayo v Sligo is live on RTE 2 next Sunday at 2.00.

You seem very Zen about it. If it were me, I'd be pretty livid, that such a simple thing, could have cost us at least one AI title. And it is simple to improve imo, if the willingness is there.

Kev McManammon only nailed down a regular starting spot last year, because he became better at shooting off both feet. He'll never be as good as the lads who have been doing it since minor level, but he has improved enough in a couple of years to make Jim Gavin happy. What is Aidan O'Shea doing to improve his skillsets and add more value to his worth to the team, other than his size, strength and willingness to run thru a brick wall?

I couldn't care less if he never gave another interview, or gave ten a week for the rest of his intercounty career. But I can see why he gets stick from some quarters for his burgeoning media profile, when his skillset does not seem to have expanded along with it.

He seems to be a nice guy, personable, hard worker, fan favourite and all that. But engaging in a purely empherical analysis of his abilities, does not make you a bitter begrudger, who just wants to have a go for the sake of it, which I'm sure I'll be accused of pretty soon. :rolleyes:

You seem very Zen about it. If it were me, I'd be pretty livid, that such a simple thing, could have cost us at least one AI title. And it is simple to improve imo, if the willingness is there.

Kev McManammon only nailed down a regular starting spot last year, because he became better at shooting off both feet. He'll never be as good as the lads who have been doing it since minor level, but he has improved enough in a couple of years to make Jim Gavin happy. What is Aidan O'Shea doing to improve his skillsets and add more value to his worth to the team, other than his size, strength and willingness to run thru a brick wall?

I couldn't care less if he never gave another interview, or gave ten a week for the rest of his intercounty career. But I can see why he gets stick from some quarters for his burgeoning media profile, when his skillset does not seem to have expanded along with it.

He seems to be a nice guy, personable, hard worker, fan favourite and all that. But engaging in a purely empherical analysis of his abilities, does not make you a bitter begrudger, who just wants to have a go for the sake of it, which I'm sure I'll be accused of pretty soon. :rolleyes:

Not really zen about it but simply aware that such matters are outside of my control.

Defo see where you're coming from re Aidan O Shea and I'd never accuse you of being a begrudger on the basis you are making a valid observation.;)

Ah no boss, wasn't expecting same from your good self, in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

He seems to be a nice guy, personable, hard worker, fan favourite and all that. But engaging in a purely empherical analysis of his abilities, does not make you a bitter begrudger, who just wants to have a go for the sake of it, which I'm sure I'll be accused of pretty soon.

Is it empirical analysis though?

Im not convinced it is. For example, his performance in the donegal game in the league, was probably the most influential display of anyone this year. He came on against a Michael Murphy that was lording the game and giving an exhibition. (A man he has been compared negatively to in the last few days). AOS ripped the game from his grasp and turned it on his head, all the while having blows reigned on him with no protection from officials.
    Yet those things don't feature in anyone's analysis. In fact he was criticised for apparently going down too easily from a kick in the b*lls!

So objectively speaking, how can any such analysis be empirical? The truth is it isn't. It is more in line with commenting on his flaws and failings only, and brushing over what doesn't suit the narrative, like people do with C Ronaldo. Now you could say he has made that bed for himself, and I wouldn't disagree. But objectively speaking, it does not and never will translate to empirical analysis.

The truth is if O'Shea was a short back and sides man who ignored the media a la Tomas O'Se in his playing days, he would get a fraction of the criticism and when you consider it, deserving or not - that reflects badly on those being critical.

Ronaldo is one of the greatest players of his, or any other generation. People give him stick for being an arrogant, self centred twat, but it does not diminish his greatness, or his influence on his teams success, one single jot. Comparing Aidan O'Shea to Ronaldo, is one of the daftest things I have ever head.

I'm afraid I know little more about Ronaldo than his name, as I'm not a soccer fan.

However I am beginning to get excited about an upcoming football match that may feature Aiden O'Shea. I hope I don't peak too early :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Mayo News Podcast is back.

Ronaldo is one of the greatest players of his, or any other generation. People give him stick for being an arrogant, self centred twat, but it does not diminish his greatness, or his influence on his teams success, one single jot. Comparing Aidan O'Shea to Ronaldo, is one of the daftest things I have ever head.

Im not comparing their skillset, Im comparing the way media and fans in general tend to focus on his failings more than his abilities, because they dislike the guy as a person.
    In short they get more of a kick out of the things he does wrong, rather than the things he does right. So that tends to be what we hear about. Admittedly, some media are playing on what they know the fans want to hear.

Also, if you cant see the difference in attitude when for example messi breaks a record or wins an award, and then Ronaldo does the same, then sorry but you must be blind. Im not a big Ronaldo defender or anything like that, but the difference in attitude is as clear as it is cringe worthy. People tend to personalise this stuff.

As for AOS, the big thing that is aimed at him is that he doesn't perform on the big day. But straight away, that is flawed. Define a big day... Cork 11, Dublin 12, Donegal 13, Tyrone 13, Cork 14, Kerry 14,Donegal 15, Dublin 15 (drawn game), Tyrone 16. All big days, all days AOS delivered.
    What is a far more accurate observation is that when AOS doesn't have a good game, mayo tend to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭boosabum

Big days are usually defined as finals, he hasn't performed in any for his county or indeed club. Look back over his record in that sense.
    I have said many times before that a marquee player can have a great game and still see their team lose.
    Maybe we are over estimating him, but at this stage of his career where he has been playing senior inter-county football for almost a decade he possibly should be analyzed and critiqued with the best the game has to offer.

boosabum wrote: »
    Big days are usually defined as finals, he hasn't performed in any for his county or indeed club. Look back over his record in that sense.
    I have said many times before that a marquee player can have a great game and still see their team lose.
    Maybe we are over estimating him, but at this stage of his career where he has been playing senior inter-county football for almost a decade he possibly should be analyzed and critiqued with the best the game has to offer.

Well actually no they aren't, finals would be defined as just that - finals. You can have complete mismatch finals too on occasion. Is that a big day also? And how about Connacht finals? Aren't they finals also, and therefore big days? It is completely flawed logic, where basically the only game that counts is the All Ireland final. The details of the game are ignored also.

Big days would be a knockout game where the opposition would have in and around the same chance as yourself as coming out with the win. He has performed in plenty of those. I've been critical of him on here plenty of times, but the above simply cant be denied by any objective person.

In reality, this thing is completely relative to the quality of your team and the quality of the opposition on the day. It is also relative to things like the tactics of both teams, particularly when you operate in the inside line. If he was the exact same player and played for Dublin, he would probably not have any of this over his head. Simply because they are a better team, with lots of attacking ability and creativity. Plus they have won all Irelands and so don't come under the same scrutiny.

As for this thing about guys being judged on final performances at the peak of their career - wouldn't that mean that Peter Canavan is in the same boat? Or that someone like Declan Browne or Matty Forde were never any good because their team didn't win enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭boosabum

Playing against sligo in a connaught final wouldn't be classified as a big game in my book. Scoring a lot of goals and points against poor opposition doesn't cut the mustard.

When the teams were pretty well matched up:
    2012 final, 2013 final, 2016 final & replay, being out scored by your marker in a big game replay in 2015.

Look at the 2013 & 2015 county finals

These are big games but no big performance. That's a significant enough sample size.

Playing against sligo in a connaught final wouldn't be classified as a big game in my book. Scoring a lot of goals and points against poor opposition doesn't cut the mustard.

Well it wouldn't be in mine either, and I never claimed it was. My point is you said big games are finals and finals alone. That was a final... So basically you are now saying that the only big game a guy can play in is the all Ireland final... That is the only big game in the year. Sorry, but that is just not anywhere near accurate.
    When the teams were pretty well matched up:
    2012 final, 2013 final, 2016 final & replay, being out scored by your marker in a big game replay in 2015.

But the fact that we haven't beaten Dublin in 5 years and around 10 games would indicate that they aren't evenly matched up...
    As for 2015 replay - for starters that wasn't a final, so by your own logic doesn't count. Secondly if you are counting it then you have to count all the games I listed earlier, where he played well. :rolleyes:

Look at the 2013 & 2015 county finals

You again ignore the fact that they were the outsider in these games, up against a noticeably stronger outfit.
    These are big games but no big performance. That's a significant enough sample size.

And I have given you about 3 times the number of big games where he did perform...

Here is the funny part though - Seamus O'Shea played in all those games too. Why doesn't anyone make the same observations about him? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

He's both over estimated and under appreciated a lot and it's generally by the same people. And they're connected imo.

People expect some type of Superman performances (in Big Games) but will be shy on giving credit when it's due. I feel that much of this is down to the media / sponsor attention he gets. He's a media dream. He gets more attention than anyone else, people see that and question why or expect him to live up to being the best... but he's not. He's the best person to create a bit of interest or promote a product.

I think it's understandable for people to see all this and question if it's deserved. In a pure football sense, it's not. But brands or journalists don't care for that.

When such high expectations are set then the good, very good performances can be overlooked. I think he has upped his game in recent years and it's rare you'll see a bad performance.

I would certainly fit him into a "best of" 15. I think the best barometer of him as a player is found when you look at opposition attention rather than media attention. He is regularly double teamed by big teams. These guys know their stuff.

He needs to win the Moclair now as well as Sam. And that's it in a nutshell, his status will be defined by his Club and Counties. Not many others are subject to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Anyone know who is in charge of the Under 17s?
    They play Sligo on Sunday before the seniors.

ureds wrote: »
    Anyone know who is in charge of the Under 17s?
    They play Sligo on Sunday before the seniors.

Damien Gavin afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Here is the funny part though - Seamus O'Shea played in all those games too. Why doesn't anyone make the same observations about him? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That is a very good point.

If your defence of Aidan O'Shea as having delivered performances consistently on the big days is correct, then the question arises as to why Mayo haven't won a national title. Is it because the rest of the big names on the team - Lee Keegan, Cillian O'Connor, Andy Moran, David Clarke, etc. - aren't good enough or haven't performed? You can't blame the referee/conditions/bad luck for all the failures. Some of the players must either go missing or just not be good enough.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Is it because the rest of the big names on the team - Lee Keegan, Cillian O'Connor, Andy Moran, David Clarke, etc. - aren't good enough or haven't performed? You can't blame the referee/conditions/bad luck for all the failures. Some of the players must either go missing or just not be good enough.

I dont blame anybody for a single point loss on a big day. That is a single kick of the ball that took less than a nano-second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Mayo v Sligo is live on RTE 2 next Sunday at 2.00.

Hopefully it is a better game than the Connaught Final a few years back that was over after 15 minutes!

Sligo have a good few injuries so that will not help their cause and struggled for long periods in New York.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

If your defence of Aidan O'Shea as having delivered performances consistently on the big days is correct, then the question arises as to why Mayo haven't won a national title. Is it because the rest of the big names on the team - Lee Keegan, Cillian O'Connor, Andy Moran, David Clarke, etc. - aren't good enough or haven't performed? You can't blame the referee/conditions/bad luck for all the failures. Some of the players must either go missing or just not be good enough.

You can't lay all the blame on the 'big' players. I think it's a case that our lesser players aren't up to the mark especially in the forwards. We will have 3/4 starters this year that wouldnt get within an asses roar of the Kerry or Dublin team imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

I don't think we will learn a hole lot this Sunday it's more to get the rust out of the team Sligo are very weak and will put up a god first half but I'd expect us to win handy

You would be forgiven for not knowing the U-17 game is on. Prenty was interviewed in the Mayo News Podcast and he noted that while the Seniors are one of the best supported counties around, our support of underage is pretty poor. I think he said that Galway brought more support to McHale for the minor match.

There's next to no coverage in the local papers of the upcoming match. It's a shame that they couldn't find a few pages.

Maybe following the seniors is enough for any one supporter to handle.

I never claimed he has performed consistently on the big day - no player does. I highlighted the fallacy in the suggestion that he has never delivered on a big day. People go on about delivering in the all Ireland final, yet more often than not in a final, across all sports, it is some unheralded guy who makes the difference. Mario Gotze in the world cup final for Germany. Costello in the AI final replay last year, Small in the first game.. Jason Doherty was arguably our best performer in the first game also.

While there has been some exceptional circumstances, be it deliberate media intervention (Joe Brolly 2012, Jim Gavin's media mouthpieces 2016) or shamefully one-sided refereeing to name but two...

The majority of the time, the team just weren't as good as the other team on the day. Why does someone have to be blamed? For instance, what individual was to blame for the startled earwigs? Or the loss to ourselves in 2012, or to donegal in 2014? Or were they just beaten by a better team on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I think the point is that AOS puts himself out to the media an awful lot for someone who has never really been a consistently top player and that he brings this criticism upon himself by doing that. 
    I guess if he never appeared in the media  etc he would be treated just like his brother and people wouldnt pay much attention to him or criticism him for under performing when perhaps he has at his level and will never exceed that.
    He is earning a bit of extra cash and fair play to him but he has to take the flak that comes with that exposure

• Advertisement

kilns wrote: »
    I think the point is that AOS puts himself out to the media an awful lot for someone who has never really been a consistently top player and that he brings this criticism upon himself by doing that.
    I guess if he never appeared in the media etc he would be treated just like his brother and people wouldnt pay much attention to him or criticism him for under performing when perhaps he has at his level and will never exceed that.
    He is earning a bit of extra cash and fair play to him but he has to take the flak that comes with that exposure

100% that is the case, and there is no issue with highlighting it, and you could understand some level, of people silently wanting him to get a bit of comeuppance over it.

The thing is, when people start judging his performances more harshly because of it - which is now what is happening - doesn't that reflect badly on those judging him too? There is a difference between waiting to say I told you so when he does fail, and inventing failures, with the latter being a bit pathetic.

It is what comes with the terrority.  He puts himself out there in the media so he is going be highlighted and more recognised that those who wouldnt.
    I think he is a good player but he is not a top player i.e not in top 20 players in the country and he should be judged on his ability based on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

kilns wrote: »
    It is what comes with the terrority.? He puts himself out there in the media so he is going be highlighted and more recognised that those who wouldnt.
    I think he is a good player but he is not a top player i.e not in top 20 players in the country and he should be judged on his ability based on that

I think AOS has the potential to be a top player, he needs to take the step. He really was something special at the Donegal game when he came on. He didn't look too fit but the attitude by him was spot on. I hope he plays with that determination all year and the criticism will disappear. Also Mayo need him to play like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Audioslaven - Is your user name any reference to the late Chris Cornell's band?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Audioslaven - Is your user name any reference to the late Chris Cornell's band?

Yes, its a sad day. I couldn't believe it when I heard it this morning. I had the privileged of seen Audioslave way back when they formed in the O2 around 2002/2003. I will never forget it.

A extremely talented guy with a wonderful voice and such a deep song writer.

RIP Cornell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Cafferky starting on Sunday. Interested to see how he's going.

Also switching Cillian to full forward and trying Diarmuid at 11 is what I'm seeing? Definitely something worth trying, imo.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0518/876179-aidan-oshea/

An example of what being in limelight brings upon a player

He took photos with some kids after a challenge match. Wow. What a monster.

exactly its nothing but its negative headlines and thats the point.  You dont want that surrounding a player especially an amateur one and I am sure Rochford is sick to death of it

• Advertisement

How is it Aidan O'Shea's problem that Bernard Flynn wants to turn a complete non-event into a scandalous story in order to raise his own media profile? In fact, I like to hear of stories involving Mayo players taking time to speak to the children and take photos with them after matches. And there's plenty more Aidan and other members of the squad do for the young fans that goes cometely unmentioned. As the games become ever more professional, the accessibility of players to the kids is something we should be proud of. The children look up to these guys and love meeting them. Instead of trying to put it on O'Shea for bringing it on himself, what about suggesting that Bernard Flynn should be pretty ashamed of himself for trying to make it seem like interacting with young fans after matches, a great GAA tradition, is a bad thing. Same goes for all journalists who engage in such nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

That article just makes Flynn look like an idiot tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Seriously cringe stuff from Flynn, whose opinion is weak at the best of times. Any idea why Aido is missing from the squad for Sunday?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

danganabu wrote: »
    That article just makes Flynn look like an idiot tbh.

Aidan probably thought Flynn was a kid and didn't give him a sig.
    He can't win either way.

Where was Flynn when Aidan spent the gut of 40 mins in the pissing rain in McHale park taking selfies and giving autographs.....

Challenge match in Meath. :rolleyes:

Seriously cringe stuff from Flynn, whose opinion is weak at the best of times. Any idea why Aido is missing from the squad for Sunday?

I'd say they're just trying some different options. He'll probably make an appearance at some point. Would like to see Kirby given a go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

PressRun wrote: »
    I'd say they're just trying some different options. He'll probably make an appearance at some point. Would like to see Kirby given a go too.

Irish times reporting he is not in the squad

Irish times reporting he is not in the squad

Don't know what the story is there. Brendan Harrison is the only injury concern I've heard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

PressRun wrote: »
    Also switching Cillian to full forward and trying Diarmuid at 11 is what I'm seeing? Definitely something worth trying, imo.

Surely these days no one pays any attention to teams published days prior to a game regarding positions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Flynn's column is a load of Pony IMO.

Stood back in amazement to watch him take part in selfies

They mustn't get out much

I've seen M Murphy do the same. He's the star of the team.

I usually like all the Meath guys, read their content regularly, but he's just not in touch IMO.

• Advertisement

Surely these days no one pays any attention to teams published days prior to a game regarding positions?

Doesn't mean it won't or shouldn't be tried.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement