Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

I'm looking forward to seeing DOC at centre forward. Often last year we seen him receiving kickouts near his own half back line which was an absolute waste as he was gassed by the time he got up the field. The place for him is driving at defenders at pace and causing panic in opposition backlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

kilns wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0518/876179-aidan-oshea/

An example of what being in limelight brings upon a player

Embarrassing by Flynn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Mayo Team vs Sligo

The announced team is: D Clarke; C Barrett, G Cafferkey, K Higgins; C Boyle, L Keegan, P Durcan; S O’Shea, T Parsons, F Boland, D O’Connor, C O’Shea; K McLoughlin, C O’Connor (capt), A Moran.

No AO'Shea

Announced on Mayo GAA Facebook Page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

PressRun wrote: »
    Doesn't mean it won't or shouldn't be tried.

Oh absolutely. I just wouldn't read too much into the team line up thats all.

• Advertisement

Oh ffs egoman is back, im outta here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Robeman wrote: »
    A bit late maybe commenting on the league but yet another national competition won by someone else. The same as the past 131 league \ all Irelands since 1951 with the exceptions of 1954\70\2001. The latter winning team managed by someone majority of current squad consider not good enough to manage them. A man who also managed an U21 All Ireland winning team.

I said before the league Mayo would not win it and unfortunately they have once again proved me right. Not a particularly great prediction as 99.99% of GAA followers in the country would have predicted the same. Stephen Rochford stuck with the “Egos” and Mayo lost again. He is doing the same for the championship and Mayo will not win again. 99.99% of GAA followers will be of the same opinion.

If SR had cleared out the “Egos” and commenced a rebuilding of the team I would have been happy to see his term extended for another couple of years. As he has not seen the big picture with the current squad he has to go at the end of this championship. ( If he does not go then for the sake of consistency the panel should really stage another revolt. If Holmes\Connolly not good enough for them after losing one All Ireland then how could SR be acceptable after losing two.)

Thus my thoughts are turning to the next Mayo manager. We can expect that nobody of consequence from outside the county will want to take the job at this time. Therefore it will need to be an internal appointment. Holmes \ Connelly should be brought back but this will not be happening as they will not be entering a Mayo changing room again. McStay \ McHale will not feature either as Roscommon has not enhanced their prospects. From talking to various people the name that keeps cropping up is David Brady. When I thought about him my first reaction was why not ?.

He does not have much experience in management but so what. We have had plenty of managers with experience and they have not succeeded. More importantly he cares about Mayo and he will be in charge. If he is smart enough to surround himself with a good team and will be willing to listen to them and take advice then he gets my vote. I am certain that his panel will contain no “Egos”

After him I am struggling to come up with other possibilities. Peter Ford comes to mind as a no nonsense individual who again will be in charge. Not sure if he would want the gig but is good enough to do it. Maughan, O Mahoney and Horan have had multiple chances thus I would not consider them again.

As I wrote this I saw Bernard Flynn’s article re Mayo match with Meath. I also saw reaction to it on this site. People with experience of management (in any sphere but particularly team management) will get the point Bernard was making, hero worshippers will not, as in general they have no experience of people management. There is a consistent message coming from the media re the Mayo team this past year like it or not. Which will it be for you “They are all wrong and we will win all Ireland this year” OR “They are right and once again we will fail to bring sam to Mayo”.

There are no words :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Seriously. Take a while away from here and come back to find the same eejit hijacking the thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Nice to see Cafferkey back playing. A long time out though so it will be interesting to see if he is still the same player.

Robeman wrote: »
    A bit late maybe commenting on the league but yet another national competition won by someone else. The same as the past 131 league \ all Irelands since 1951 with the exceptions of 1954\70\2001. The latter winning team managed by someone majority of current squad consider not good enough to manage them. A man who also managed an U21 All Ireland winning team.

I said before the league Mayo would not win it and unfortunately they have once again proved me right. Not a particularly great prediction as 99.99% of GAA followers in the country would have predicted the same. Stephen Rochford stuck with the “Egos” and Mayo lost again. He is doing the same for the championship and Mayo will not win again. 99.99% of GAA followers will be of the same opinion.

If SR had cleared out the “Egos” and commenced a rebuilding of the team I would have been happy to see his term extended for another couple of years. As he has not seen the big picture with the current squad he has to go at the end of this championship. ( If he does not go then for the sake of consistency the panel should really stage another revolt. If Holmes\Connolly not good enough for them after losing one All Ireland then how could SR be acceptable after losing two.)

Thus my thoughts are turning to the next Mayo manager. We can expect that nobody of consequence from outside the county will want to take the job at this time. Therefore it will need to be an internal appointment. Holmes \ Connelly should be brought back but this will not be happening as they will not be entering a Mayo changing room again. McStay \ McHale will not feature either as Roscommon has not enhanced their prospects. From talking to various people the name that keeps cropping up is David Brady. When I thought about him my first reaction was why not ?.

He does not have much experience in management but so what. We have had plenty of managers with experience and they have not succeeded. More importantly he cares about Mayo and he will be in charge. If he is smart enough to surround himself with a good team and will be willing to listen to them and take advice then he gets my vote. I am certain that his panel will contain no “Egos”

After him I am struggling to come up with other possibilities. Peter Ford comes to mind as a no nonsense individual who again will be in charge. Not sure if he would want the gig but is good enough to do it. Maughan, O Mahoney and Horan have had multiple chances thus I would not consider them again.

As I wrote this I saw Bernard Flynn’s article re Mayo match with Meath. I also saw reaction to it on this site. People with experience of management (in any sphere but particularly team management) will get the point Bernard was making, hero worshippers will not, as in general they have no experience of people management. There is a consistent message coming from the media re the Mayo team this past year like it or not. Which will it be for you “They are all wrong and we will win all Ireland this year” OR “They are right and once again we will fail to bring sam to Mayo”.

Bad Comedy Thread is in After Hours Section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

danganabu wrote: »
    There are no words :rolleyes:

Absolute nonsense. Ego's is actually what we need & more of them

Absolute classic. Let's get rid of the egos by putting their Club Manager in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The poster forgot to use the word 'cabal' as well ðŸ˜

So any word on AOS omission then? Injury im presuming :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yes, its a sad day. I couldn't believe it when I heard it this morning. I had the privileged of seen Audioslave way back when they formed in the O2 around 2002/2003. I will never forget it.

A extremely talented guy with a wonderful voice and such a deep song writer.

RIP Cornell

OMG such sad news,he was a wonderful talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

So any word on AOS omission then? Injury im presuming :confused:

He's named in the squad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

glack wrote: »
    He's named in the squad though.

Impact sub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

all the monaing about giving young lads a chance and when he does everyone is moaning aido is missing out. jesus you cant win.

irishgeo wrote: »
    all the monaing about giving young lads a chance and when he does everyone is moaning aido is missing out. jesus you cant win.

Where is all the "moaning"??
    :confused:

Big difference between people wondering or being surprised as to why he wasn't named in the most important game since October and moaning about it.

Where is all the "moaning"??
    :confused:

This. Who exactly is moaning?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Why is the word ego always in quotes? It's a real word...

re aos not starting. Rochford rarely starts the named team. Id hazard a guess that he will start in place of either boland or conor oshea, and line out at chf. Im hoping boland starts, he tends to go well against more open teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I stopped paying attention to named teams a long time ago

It's very hard to see what Boland will bring that we don't have, so I'd be amazed to see him barely even feature this summer. Coen or Doherty to start if o 'shea doesn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

I don't think any one is complaining to be honest impact sub to give some of the young lads a go
    I f things get sticky and I don't see that happening throw him in to put a few sligo lads on there holes.

Sligo are no where near where we are I can't see it being a great game either

Any one for London to beat Leitrim

jr86 wrote: »
    I stopped paying attention to named teams a long time ago

It's very hard to see what Boland will bring that we don't have, so I'd be amazed to see him barely even feature this summer. Coen or Doherty to start if o 'shea doesn't?

Really? Id be of the opinion that he brings something we are lacking, i.e. someone who can deliver a well weighted, intelligent final ball.

I think our delivery of the final ball has been well below average in recent seasons. Some of the passes aos has had put in were brutal. Compare that to what donaghy was getting in limerick and it is chalk and cheese. Boland has a touch of alan dilon about him, it is something we are missing in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Really? Id be of the opinion that he brings something we are lacking, i.e. someone who can deliver a well weighted, intelligent final ball.

I think our delivery of the final ball has been well below average in recent seasons. Some of the passes aos has had put in were brutal. Compare that to what donaghy was getting in limerick and it is chalk and cheese. Boland has a touch of alan dilon about him, it is something we are missing in my opinion.

Id be very surprised to see o'shea feature at full this year. The ff line named for Sunday won't change all year barring injury

We'll play our usual running from deep attacking game and we have plenty of players for that.

I'd rather see a nally, coen or Kirby given a go.

Why is the word ego always in quotes? It's a real word...

re aos not starting. Rochford rarely starts the named team. Id hazard a guess that he will start in place of either boland or conor oshea, and line out at chf. Im hoping boland starts, he tends to go well against more open teams.

Often managers name teams that do not start. However, it is rare they leave off a top name from the team they announce. I am finding it hard to understand the rationale behind this one. Is there any advantage to not naming him in the team if he goes on to start? This is Sligo that Mayo are playing. They dont need to be engaging in any mind games. There could be some rationale behind it if it was one of the bigger teams (even the Galway match) where you might think it a good idea to keep them guessing if O'Se will start. Presumably, teams normally have a plan for O'Se so to put doubts in their minds might be worthwhile. But against Sligo? I dont really get it. All you are doing is putting a heap of attention on O'Se with people wondering why he is not starting.

Often managers name teams that do not start. However, it is rare they leave off a top name from the team they announce. I am finding it hard to understand the rationale behind this one. Is there any advantage to not naming him in the team if he goes on to start? This is Sligo that Mayo are playing. They dont need to be engaging in any mind games. There could be some rationale behind it if it was one of the bigger teams (even the Galway match) where you might think it a good idea to keep them guessing if O'Se will start. Presumably, teams normally have a plan for O'Se so to put doubts in their minds might be worthwhile. But against Sligo? I dont really get it. All you are doing is putting a heap of attention on O'Se with people wondering why he is not starting.

Agreed with above but I doubt he will start. It doesn't need to be alarming, he could have picked up a knock or Rochford may just feel that it's worth giving the likes of Boland a run. Rochford picks his team to suit the opposition more often than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

I don't think he'll start. Boland will be given a go and why not. He's played throughout the league, would be fair to give him a crack of the whip in championship. O'Shea will probably come on later.

PARlance wrote: »
    Agreed with above but I doubt he will start. It doesn't need to be alarming, he could have picked up a knock or Rochford may just feel that it's worth giving the likes of Boland a run. Rochford picks his team to suit the opposition more often than not.

Yeah, that is my take on it. That he must have some niggle. He didnt play a huge amount during the league so one would imagine, that you would like him to get a good chunk of a game against Sligo.

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    I don't think any one is complaining to be honest impact sub to give some of the young lads a go
    I f things get sticky and I don't see that happening throw him in to put a few sligo lads on there holes.

Sligo are no where near where we are I can't see it being a great game either

Any one for London to beat Leitrim

No

London only won 1 game in Div 4 and that was a suprise v Carlow

Leitrim won 4

I know Mulligan is out would still expect Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

No

London only won 1 game in Div 4 and that was a suprise v Carlow

Leitrim won 4

I know Mulligan is out would still expect Leitrim

Is that the best way to judge that championship game? Afterall Leitrim and London had similar league records in 2013.

Is that the best way to judge that championship game? Afterall Leitrim and London had similar league records in 2013.

So by that logic it is, because in 2013 London won after a replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PressRun wrote: »
    I don't think he'll start. Boland will be given a go and why not. He's played throughout the league, would be fair to give him a crack of the whip in championship. O'Shea will probably come on later.

I do believe there is any great mystery/conspiracy behind Aidan O Shea not starting.

He missed most of the league and Stephen Rochford is giving some of the lads who played during the league a chance to impress.Aidan O Shea will likely work his way back into the team as a hopefully long summer progresses.

I commend Rochford for showing some faith in these players,it's really much ado about nothing imo.

seligehgit wrote: »
    I do believe there is any great mystery/conspiracy behind Aidan O Shea not starting.

He missed most of the league and Stephen Rochford is giving some of the lads who played during the league a chance to impress.Aidan O Shea will likely work his way back into the team as a hopefully long summer progresses.

I commend Rochford for showing some faith in these players,it's really much ado about nothing imo.

I totally agree, and at the end of the day, with Al due respect etc etc, it is Sligo.

It's the type of championship game that you can try a few new players.

You can be damn sure the likes of Kerry will be doing something similar v Clare/Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I totally agree, and at the end of the day, with Al due respect etc etc, it is Sligo.

It's the type of championship game that you can try a few new players.

You can be damn sure the likes of Kerry will be doing something similar v Clare/Waterford.

He started no League games this year and played about an hour of football in total over 2 appearances as a sub.
    I'd see him coming on for Boland after 45 minutes.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »

It's for those exact reasons that I would start him. He has played so little football. He needs to be getting match time now. Assuming Mayo win on Sunday, it is not that long to the Galway match. If I was Mayo manager, I would definitely like to see O'Se with a full championship match under his belt going into that.
    I would understand where you were coming from if the starting Mayo forwards had exceptionally good leagues. But Boland and Conor O'Se? At best, they probably had average campaigns - certainly nothing exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Robeman

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/comment-aidan-oshea-taking-a-selfie-after-a-challenge-match-will-not-alter-mayos-chances-for-sam-35729976.html

Interesting article this in response to Bernard Flynns comments of yesterday. In it journalist compares Cristiano Ronaldo probably one of the best and most successful soccer players ever and Michael Jordan again probably one of the best and most successful basketball players ever to Aidan O Shea who I assume he thinks is one of the best and most successful gaelic players ever.

Have a read as no matter what your views on AOS you will enjoy it.

Ignore lists are best I find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Blackjack wrote: »

Not when people quote the person in question though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Dont like doing it but had to be done at this stage. and with the click of a button....gone
    km79 wrote: »
    Not when people quote the person in question though

hmmmm thats an interesting one for boards admin to figure out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Blackjack wrote:
    He started no League games this year and played about an hour of football in total over 2 appearances as a sub. I'd see him coming on for Boland after 45 minutes.

Is 45 minutes enough time for selfies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Why is it that Conor Mortimer comes out of the woodwork in the lead up to a Mayo match. Why in the name of God would he bring this up.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/conor-mortimer-takes-former-mayo-bosses-to-task-450430.html

Stoner wrote: »
    Is 45 minutes enough time for selfies?
    He'll spend that time and more after the game with kids who ask for selfies and autographs, in stark contrast with others who will only do so at specified media led events.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Robeman

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/ciaran-whelan-there-is-a-huge-wave-of-fear-coming-from-mayo-and-kerry-need-a-lot-of-things-to-fall-their-way-35731256.html

Another interesting article in the independent written by Ciaran Whelan particularly piece on Mayo. Maybe fear is not quite the correct word but he has captured the sentiment of Mayo GAA. The realisation is out there that Mayo will not win this year and that this squad and manager will never deliver. Every one will go through the motions this year but the belief is gone.

The silent majority ignored what they knew to be a wrong last year in the belief that this squad would deliver no matter what. All Ireland selection was a wake up call and their beliefs were shattered.

Even on this forum one can sense the loss of faith even among the most diehard of current squad supporters. Looking back over posts since Alll Ireland there seems to be no one declaring on this forum that this will be Mayo's year and that we will win. No one and I mean no one I have spoken to both in the county and outside of it Mayo supporter and non Mayo supporter believe that we will win.

The sooner we are out of this championship the sooner we can start rebuilding for the next multi year assault on the title. We will beat Sligo and we will beat Galway \ Roscommon after which we will lose to Kerry or Dublin. No All Ireland and a wasted year.

My critics on this site (and they are many) can switch me off and totally ignore what I am saying but this does not change the fact that the business as usual practised by Mayo Board past 60 years has failed and failed miserably, this past two years particularly when the talent was there (which is not always the case).

Firstly we need to professionalise the County Board. Before we think about next manager we need a professional Mayo GAA CEO. Someone like Willie Ruane who has had a very benificial impact on Connacht Rugby. The money is there to get someone like him. We are shelling out a €1 million plus a year on team management \ squads and getting nothing in return. Professional management will give us a better return on our investment.

In some respects Mayo have overachieved by being No 3 this past 5\6 years due to absence of some traditional powers like Meath, Cork and Galway. Some or all of these will come back in next few years making it harder to be no 3 never mind no 1. Winning an All Ireland is going to get harder after this year for Mayo.

We have to change to get a different result. Sticking our heads in the sand or ignoring\belittling different points of view within Mayo GAA family will not progress Mayo to winning an AI.

We need to grow up and stop our annual blaming of the media, referees, unsporting fellows on other teams, and the absence of the mythical extra forward who can score regularly from play in big games. Kerry and Dublin generally win AI's every decade because they adapt, they moderise, they try new things, they attract good players and good administrators. They are professionals at winning All Irelands we are amateurs.

The Title of this Board is Mayo GAA Discussion. A discussion is the action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas: I would ask some of you what are you doing on a discussion board if the only ideas you want to exchange are those which are identical to you own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Why is it that Conor Mortimer comes out of the woodwork in the lead up to a Mayo match. Why in the name of God would he bring this up.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/conor-mortimer-takes-former-mayo-bosses-to-task-450430.html

He has just got a gig as ambassador for paddy power along with Mulligan so they did a publicity thing with an interview
    I guess this was the most topical issue with mayo

That Ciaran Whelan article only underlines that his credibility as a serious and unbiased pundit has been overstated. Look at the difference in tone and attitude between the Mayo section and even the very first line of the Dublin section. Factor in, both teams lost the game in question by one point, or 'the width of a post' as he says, and it is actually cringe worthy.
    For the sake of his own career as a pundit, he should leave spinning Gavin's propaganda to the likes of curran, because he is doing his career a serious disservice. Once you go down that route, it is very hard to come back, because people just wont take you seriously. He had potential, but now he has become a David Brady, a Brendan Devanney, a Charlie Redmond, and pundits like that are ten a penny.

Whelan is right about one thing.

Kerry are not a good as people are saying they are, all based on the league final win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That Ciaran Whelan article only underlines that his credibility as a serious and unbiased pundit has been overstated. Look at the difference in tone and attitude between the Mayo section and even the very first line of the Dublin section. Factor in, both teams lost the game in question by one point, or 'the width of a post' as he says, and it is actually cringe worthy.
    For the sake of his own career as a pundit, he should leave spinning Gavin's propaganda to the likes of curran, because he is doing his career a serious disservice. Once you go down that route, it is very hard to come back, because people just wont take you seriously. He had potential, but now he has become a David Brady, a Brendan Devanney, a Charlie Redmond, and pundits like that are ten a penny.

Both teams didn't lose the same game by one point.

One team lost their attempt at five-in-a-row League titles by a point.

The other lost their latest failed attempt at winning a first All-Ireland in more than half-a-century.

Spotting and analysing the difference between the two situations is what a good pundit can do.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Both teams didn't lose the same game by one point.

One team lost their attempt at five-in-a-row League titles by a point.

The other lost their latest failed attempt at winning a first All-Ireland in more than half-a-century.

Spotting and analysing the difference between the two situations is what a good pundit can do.

That's absolutely true

Until such a time as Mayo win an All Ireland they will never be compared equally to the likes of Dublin or Kerry

There was a good article in the Irish Time just after the drawn game last year that basically said as much.

Ya i could do that but not sure id have the discipline. :)

CphOIvcWcAA_rQj.png

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement