Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

jr86 wrote: »
    I think durcan might live in Dublin too? But maybe only a student so back for summer

I live in Dublin myself and am fit for bed when i get home in the evening. Some respect for these guys commuting across the country and back a night or two a week

Second that.

PARlance wrote: »
    Yip just moved backed last summer I think.

I believe he was doing a masters in the University of Jordanstown,he was certainly teaching in Dublin in the past.

The Mayo News Podcast is very good.

Mayo News Podcast - 2017 Championship Preview.

http://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2017-05-15T05_53_41-07_00.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Interesting piece in today`s Irish Times on AOS by Keith Duggan.
    One of the sadly very few sports journalists worth reading anymore IMHO.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Interesting piece in today`s Irish Times on AOS by Keith Duggan.
    One of the sadly very few sports journalists worth reading anymore IMHO.

Thanks for that,an excellent unbiased article.He's one of the best sports journalists around,little of the garbage many others spew.He wrote an excellent book on Mayo football "House of Pain".Well worth a read if you get a chance.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/the-outrageous-crime-of-being-aidan-o-shea-1.3089499

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

seligehgit wrote: »
    David Clarke Tubercurry
    Rob Hennelly
    Chris Barrett
    Colm Boyle Westport
    Ger Cafferkey Dublin?
    Stephen Coen
    Caolan Crowe
    David Drake
    Patrick Durcan Castlebar
    Brendan Harrison
    Keith Higgins Castlebar
    Lee Keegan Westport
    Shane Nally
    Donal Newcombe
    Eoin O Donoghue
    Donal Vaughan Castlebar
    Danny Kirby
    Barry Moran Westport
    Seamus O Shea Dublin
    Tom Parsons Dublin
    Fergal Boland
    Alan Dillon
    Jason Doherty Dublin
    Conor Loftus Student
    Kevin McLoughlin Westport
    Andy Moran Castlebar
    Diarmuid O Connor Student in Dublin
    Cillian O Connor Castlebar
    Aidan O Shea Westport
    Conor O Shea Student in Dublin
    Evan Regan Westport?

Most of the lads work locally as outlined above and commute from their homesteads in Castlebar,Westport and Ballyhaunis to their workplaces.Evidently the students are back home come summertime.Many are employed as teachers both primary and secondary level,garda and a multi national company Allergan.Many of the younger lads are students.

Many of the ones I did not fill in are based locally,somebody else can fill in the blanks.
    Coen and Harrison both work in Castlebar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Mayo for Sam 2017.. maybe not. But we'll no doubt be in the mix again for a final place.

And regardless of the uncertainty and bull**** surrounding this team over the last while, it's relief that championship football is finally back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Mayo for Sam 2017.. maybe not. But we'll no doubt be in the mix again for a final place.

And regardless of the uncertainty and bull**** surrounding this team over the last while, it's relief that championship football is finally back

I'm enjoying the national media narrative that it's Kerry and not Mayo that will put it up to Dublin.

Fair enough they did beat them in the league final but they are a very much in transition, especially at the back and still have a lot to prove IMO.

Anyway back to Mayo.

Three freak goal incidents was all that seperated them from an All Ireland last year and then still only lost by a point.

They don't necessarily have to do an awful lot more to get over the line, luck alone would do it.

A worry would be that Andy Moran is a year older and may not be able to continue his renaissance.
    Same with Dillion, he must be near the end at this stage, even though his use is only limited at this stage.

On the other side Harrison, Durkan, Coen, Loftus, are all a year older and more experienced.
    And Diarmuid O Connor may be fitter.

They will have to win Connacht, and that really involves beating Galway in Galway.

That puts them in a QF v an A side qualifier and a very winnable SF possibly v Kerry.

They were lucky last year with the qualifiers, avoiding Dublin, getting past the most overrated team in the universe and then getting a very inexperienced team at this level in the SF, a trip through the qualiers in 2017 could very easily land them in a QF v Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Be interesting to see where DOC lines out this year. Apparently he's been exceptional recently for his club in the half backs so wouldn't surprise if something like that is tried out at some point this year.

Very unfortunate with that injury last season. Set him back a fair bit. For Mayo to reach similar highs we will need a sharper and consistent year DOC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/bernard-flynn-im-not-here-10459919

Don't know if this is posted here already.

Flynn's come back. No mention of it being a second game.

Anyone remember the time he was on Setanta and he said Kevin McManaman wasn't​ an intercounty standard footballer and D O'Shea and S Connell cracked up laughing at him. It was great TV. He wasn't happy but it was his own attempt to stand out that put him in that position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Stoner wrote: »
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/bernard-flynn-im-not-here-10459919

Don't know if this is posted here already.

Flynn's come back. No mention of it being a second game.

Anyone remember the time he was on Setanta and he said Kevin McManaman wasn't​ an intercounty standard footballer and D O'Shea and S Connell cracked up laughing at him. It was great TV. He wasn't happy but it was his own attempt to stand out that put him in that position

That is up there with Colm O Rourke on live tv saying he would eat his hat if Brian Dooher of Tyrone ever won a senior All Ireland medal.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Stoner wrote: »
    Anyone remember the time he was on Setanta and he said Kevin McManaman wasn't​ an intercounty standard footballer

I won't hear a bad word said about Kevin Mac. He's one of my favourite players.

But it tells you everything you need to know about Flynn and his knowledge or lack thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Green Peter

This match is some ****e!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

This match is some ****e!

Dreadful game. Like a division 4 game. Mayo have been shocking today. If Sligo could sneak a goal they might even win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Game over anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Game over anyway.

Very very unconvincing performance from Mayo though. But maybe it is good in the long run that they put in some unconvincing performances at this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Meh if mayo won by 20 itd be the same ****e as throughout 2013 "not tested" "played no-one" etc. etc.

These matches are complete damned if you do, damned if you don't

Good result for Mayo. Nothing too flashy but a good win in the end. Sligo just fell away and there was only ever going to be one result anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

One of those games that you just have to win, get changed and get home. Nothing to be gained from putting the foot to the throat. They were never in danger of losing.

• Advertisement

5 of 6 forwards, plus 2 subs score from play

Not too shabby

Never really thought they were in danger of losing tbh. Did enough, which is all you need this time of year.

The O'Connor boys both had a good day. Diarmuid's goal was well worked and is further justification for having him in a more forward role. While we're on it, Cillian got his goal while standing close to the goal. That's all I'll say on it for fear of sounding like a broken record.

Good to see Caff back in the mix too. He was solid enough.

Jason Doherty had a big impact when he came on, just a big strong man a and a great ball winner. Not afraid of the dirty work.

Thought Boland was alright. He took a while to settle and was even slowing down the play at times with lateral and backwards passing, but he found more of a rhythm later. Got a good point and made a great interception later in the game to stop a Sligo move on goal. He's learning.

Danny Kirby was decent on his introduction.

McLoughs took a fair whack in front of me. Looked like his back. Hopefully nothing majorly serious.

Onwards to Salthill anyway. Could be a bit of bite in that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Extra man held back so no chances taken either. Some nice kick passing and ball retention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Wonder will Bernard Flynn be moaning about all the Cork players signing autographs after that game.

And this was a Championship match, not a Winter/Spring midweek challenge!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Blood bank

• Advertisement

PressRun wrote: »
    Never really thought they were in danger of losing tbh. Did enough, which is all you need this time of year.

The O'Connor boys both had a good day. Diarmuid's goal was well worked and is further justification for having him in a more forward role. While we're on it, Cillian got his goal while standing close to the goal. That's all I'll say on it for fear of sounding like a broken record.

Good to see Caff back in the mix too. He was solid enough.

Jason Doherty had a big impact when he came on, just a big strong man a and a great ball winner. Not afraid of the dirty work.

Thought Boland was alright. He took a while to settle and was even slowing down the play at times with lateral and backwards passing, but he found more of a rhythm later. Got a good point and made a great interception later in the game to stop a Sligo move on goal. He's learning.

Danny Kirby was decent on his introduction.

McLoughs took a fair whack in front of me. Looked like his back. Hopefully nothing majorly serious.

Onwards to Salthill anyway. Could be a bit of bite in that one.

Yes I never thought we were in danger but overall I thought it was very disappointing performance irrespective of the ring rustiness given the time of year.

Great to see Caff back,very solid although it was a tad surprising Sligo did'nt utilise as top quality a player as Pat Hughes on a more frequent basis.Some of the Sligo lads told me he should'nt have started as he was carrying an injury.

As usual Colm Boyle was the personification of all that we admire in this Mayo team when they are full of swagger.Paddy Durcan had a very solid game.

I thought we struggled at midfield,very worrying Seamie O Shea's departure with an injury.He seemed quite badly concussed.Kevin McLoughlin injury did not appear to be too serious.

I can't see Conor O Shea continuing to start,unfortunately he is not offering enough.Jason Doherty will certainly be likely coming back into the team,he offered so much on his introduction.I'd be optimistic we'll see improved championship performances this year from the O Connor brothers.Diarmuid has had a chance to rest himself post his injury/burnout and had no under 21 action to juggle this year.Cillian is happily injury free,completed a full league campaign and is again happily domiciled back in Mayo.Danny Kirby cameo appearance will do his prospects no harm at all.

I'd like to have seen Shane Nally see a bit of action,Stephen Coen and Conor Loftus appearances were all too brief.Evan Regan seems to have disappeared off the manager's plans.

Salthill awaits,a huge improvement is needed and possible to overcome a very capable up and coming Galway team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

In much better shape this year I feel
    Look way fitter and less disjointed
    A decent game in the bank before facing Galway who will have none played

Though seamie was excellent today . Hope he isn't badly concussed

Side note
    Sad that aido felt the need to run straight off the pitch. Lots of kids left without their photo or autograph which he ALWAYS obliges with
    I can testify to that cos my young lad got both a few years back after a very particularly physical game . I'm sure he wanted to go straight in but he didn't. He never does.

He will probably be vilified now for not staying out today

km79 wrote: »
    In much better shape this year I feel
    Look way fitter and less disjointed
    A decent game in the bank before facing Galway who will have none played

Though seamie was excellent today . Hope he isn't badly concussed

Side note
    Sad that aido felt the need to run straight off the pitch. Lots of kids left without their photo or autograph which he ALWAYS obliges with
    I can testify to that cos my young lad got both a few years back after a very particularly physical game . I'm sure he wanted to go straight in but he didn't. He never does.

He will probably be vilified now for not staying out today

Shocking state of affairs but I think most reasonable supporters will understand the context around which he departed the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Shocking state of affairs but I think most reasonable supporters will understand the context around which he departed the pitch.

Oh they will but it's just sad it came to that
    It's part of the lure of the GAA getting out onto the pitch to meet your heroes
    He has become an easy target for all and sundry now

I believe the players met with the some of the kids later on. Still pretty dreadful that Aiden wanted to be out of sight straight after. Meeting the kids on the pitch after the game is a great tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

We're looking to play like 2013 again, I think. Forwards putting in huge efforts and stopping the opposition from getting the ball forward until our defence has set.

Barrett had a good game today so I wonder will we push Keith further out the pitch when Harrison is back. In place of COS maybe?

I thought we struggled at midfield,very worrying Seamie O Shea's departure with an injury.He seemed quite badly concussed.

I felt Tom Parsons was struggling to get into the game at times. Caught ball watching more than once. Seamie was a bit better, though has a bad habit of holding onto it too long rather than laying off to someone in a better position.
    I can't see Conor O Shea continuing to start,unfortunately he is not offering enough.Jason Doherty will certainly be likely coming back into the team,he offered so much on his introduction.

I don't think Conor O'Shea will hold onto his place either. He ran into every tackle possible today and just made some silly decisions. Jason Doherty will and should get his place back. He's a great man for winning the dirty ball.
    Though, I don't think it's too bad a thing that Jason has been given some time away from the starting line up. I read a crazy statistic about how many full games he has played for Mayo since he broke into the team. He manages to stay fit and uninjured, but rarely has gotten much of a break over the last few years.
    I'd be optimistic we'll see improved championship performances this year from the O Connor brothers.Diarmuid has had a chance to rest himself post his injury/burnout and had no under 21 action to juggle this year.Cillian is happily injury free,completed a full league campaign and is again happily domiciled back in Mayo.

I really hope Diarmuid can stay fit this year.
    I'd like to have seen Shane Nally see a bit of action

I don't really understand why he hasn't been given more of a chance? He has shown a lot of potential any time he has played.

Panrich wrote: »
    We're looking to play like 2013 again, I think. Forwards putting in huge efforts and stopping the opposition from getting the ball forward until our defence has set.

Barrett had a good game today so I wonder will we push Keith further out the pitch when Harrison is back. In place of COS maybe?

Not so sure they won't revert to type if we are to meet the big guns in Croker and play Kevin Mc in the sweeper role?

Like the idea behind your thinking,the positivity of 2013... has been lost in recent years due to our need to solidify to a greater extent defensively.

Zippy could easily play in such a role in place of Conor O Shea or possibly take up a sweeping role if Rochford reverts to last year's system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Had a match myself that clashed so only got to see it there. I don't know if it was the fact that I knew the result before watching it, but it made relatively positive viewing for me... the game has to be put in context, first run out against an inferior team who seemed disinterested in doing anything to win the game at times.

1-7 we were impressive. Great to see Caff back, a little rusty at times but that's a solid 7 there. Clarke didn't use the traffic cone as much I thought, some good fast short kickouts after a clanger early on. Barrett put in some massive hits. Having Harrison and Coen to come in / challenge for places leaves a very strong set up.

I thought the midfield trio did ok, SO'S and Tom did some decent work. Conor isn't an out and out forward, he seems very much to be favoured as a runner in the middle third. I'm not his biggest fan but it's a position he seems to be growing into. Having Vaughan and Kirby there as subs again shows plenty of strength in depth.

Up front, we didn't set the world alight but what's new. Andy had a good opening but thought he was far from his brilliant best. Sligo were getting 14/15 behind the ball at times, wasn't easy for him. Boland has the makings of a great half forward, he's a very intelligent player imo. Great kicker of a 20,30,40 yard ball and finds space for himself. If he can push on this year it'll be a big bonus. Great to see Diarmuid back looking like he's fit. Again, having Aidan, Loftus and Doherty to add to the starting team is a big positive.

Worrying that we didn't / couldn't put the game out of sight a little earlier. A lot more work needs to be done up front. But overall, I think it was a decent start and plenty of positives. They looked like they've upped the S&C work another notch too.

PressRun wrote: »
    I don't think Conor O'Shea will hold onto his place either. He ran into every tackle possible today and just made some silly decisions. Jason Doherty will and should get his place back.

I don't think they're competing for the same spot, I think SR is looking for a 3rd man in the middle third. I don't think CO'S will hold his place but would see the likes of Coen taking that spot rather than a forward as such.

Wonder will Bernard Flynn be moaning about all the Cork players signing autographs after that game.

And this was a Championship match, not a Winter/Spring midweek challenge!!!

Flynn would probably point to Cork having 30 odd All Ireland hurling titles and Mayo having 3 football as an excuse to give the Cork guys a pass on this one.

Not so sure they won't revert to type if we are to meet the big guns in Croker and play Kevin Mc in the sweeper role?

Like the idea behind your thinking,the positivity of 2013...

I hope not, we've got plenty of good defensive players to play a sweeper role. Kevin Mc is an asset in further up the field. We missed him there last year. I don't think Rochford will play a conventional sweeper, it's a ballsy move but in not playing one against Dublin in the league, I think he was signalling his intent... even though it was a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Bernard Flynn can go and f*ck himself, as can most of the nonsense FB pages covering Gaa. F*ck them, they offer nothing.

The Mayo Fan page is the same, spewing nonsense and vitriol at other counties as well. One or two admins of that page have no decency whatsoever and are as bad as anyone on other pages.

In this day and age when papers aren't selling and websites need clicks, Mayo will always 'sell'. So give them nothing, concentrate on our own affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Hey Flynn, I see DOC is posing for photos now :eek:

DAXLxprWAAI00eT.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Win is win. As said whether it be 2 points or 30 points its a no win. Barely out of 2nd gear and didn't need to.
    Good to see Kirby and Boland get in good games. And Caff back to his usual spot. Still on solid fitness work.
    Will be a cracking game in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

At least 11 steps for the 1st goal.
    And a square ball for the 2nd.

Hope Mayo don't use up all their favourable ref calls before they cross the Shannon...

TSG gave Durcan MOTM, he has turned into some player. Gooch had good things to say about Boland, I hope he gets plenty of game time. He's probably (ok definitely) shy in terms in physical development but I do think he gives us something different this year.

Tom Parsons was their other Mayo nominee for MOTM, I wouldn't have had him up there but if himself and Seamus can keep fit this year then it'll be a plus on last year.

Roll on June 11th. Hope we are the right side of a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

jay0109 wrote: »

Hope Mayo don't use up all their favourable ref calls before they cross the Shannon...

Learn to count there like a good lady.

jay0109 wrote: »

Yeah goodness only knows what would have happened if Mayo kicked a free instead of Diarmuid getting the goal, could be a Championship turning point debated for decades to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

PARlance wrote: »
    TSG gave Durcan MOTM, he has turned into some player. Gooch had good things to say about Boland, I hope he gets plenty of game time. He's probably (ok definitely) shy in terms in physical development but I do think he gives us something different this year.

Tom Parsons was their other Mayo nominee for MOTM, I wouldn't have had him up there but if himself and Seamus can keep fit this year then it'll be a plus on last year.

Roll on June 11th. Hope we are the right side of a cracker.

I was impressed by Boland today for his first game in. He looks to me to be a very good player in terms of his positional sense and his passing is spot on. Granted his physical side has to develop.

A nice win today, playing in third gear. The Galway game will be a cracker as Galway have improved and Mayo will be more focused than the same crack last year

Panrich wrote:

He was good alright, imposing, I thought that was a free to Sligo though when the man had to go off injured.

The commentating was terrible, they called it a great tackle but wouldn't correct themselves when the replay showed it as a clear shoulder into the chest, messed the poor guy up. Nothing that you don't expect a half-back to take a yellow card for all the same , you need that in a team, that's not the point I'm making.

Dolan then said that Mayo were poor and had no leader in attack. 3 minutes later O'Connor kicks a score from play and he says he's their Go to Man alright.

It was painful listening to it, super safe comments based on what we've all just seen rather than a bit if insight.

Thought the first goal was over carried alright, but refs let guys away with that a bit when there's two dragging out of the attacker. Though the second goal was perfect.

I'm dubious as to Galway's "improvement" to be honest. Forwards look more cohesive as a unit and Shane Walsh is playing some tremendous ball altogether, but there's a few passengers in there and I think they're still a way off finding their best 15.

The full back line is a real liability and guys like O'Donnell and Bradshaw are passable at best if judging them at the real top level.

I'm loathe to agreeing with anything Pat Spillane says but he made a valid point as to the difference in speed and standard of the Division 1 and 2 finals in Croke Park last month. Dublin will ate Kildare in Leinster this year and expect to do it, yet a lot of our fans nearly have a "fear" when playing Galway. We are - bear in mind - meant to be dining at the top table with Dublin and Kerry

Don't get me wrong I always have great respect for Galway but to win an All Ireland we have to be winning this one.

I know, I know, we lost to them last year but that was as flat a performance as I've seen since Longford in 2010

The winning Division 2 angle is funny. Last year Tyrone were overrated to high heavens for doing so and Galway - while not to the same extent - have inspired some reactionary giddiness also.

Winning matches seems to cause hype no matter who you beat, but to be honest I'd far rather have had Cavan's league than Galway's. At least next year Galway will have the chance to play the big guns and I think that will drive them on far more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

jr86 wrote: »
    I'm dubious as to Galway's "improvement" to be honest. Forwards look more cohesive as a unit and Shane Walsh is playing some tremendous ball altogether, but there's a few passengers in there and I think they're still a way off finding their best 15.

The full back line is a real liability and guys like O'Donnell and Bradshaw are passable at best if judging them at the real top level.

I'm loathe to agreeing with anything Pat Spillane says but he made a valid point as to the difference in speed and standard of the Division 1 and 2 finals in Croke Park last month. Dublin will ate Kildare in Leinster this year and expect to do it, yet a lot of our fans nearly have a "fear" when playing Galway. We are - bear in mind - meant to be dining at the top table with Dublin and Kerry

Don't get me wrong I always have great respect for Galway but to win an All Ireland we have to be winning this one.

I know, I know, we lost to them last year but that was as flat a performance as I've seen since Longford in 2010

The winning Division 2 angle is funny. Last year Tyrone were overrated to high heavens for doing so and Galway - while not to the same extent - have inspired some reactionary giddiness also.

Winning matches seems to cause hype no matter who you beat, but to be honest I'd far rather have had Cavan's league than Galway's. At least next year Galway will have the chance to play the big guns and I think that will drive them on far more

Yep, Galway have major issues in defence. I suspect Mayo will start diarmuid O'Connor at 11 again because whoever Galway have at 6 won't like his direct running. O'Shea will be at 14 because whoever Galway play at number 3 won't be able to deal with his power. I suspect Moran will be on the bench.

Galway have improved - there are certainly no passengers in our forward line. You're going to have to be in damn good form to make the Galway forward line for the Mayo match. But our backs are a major problem. In our last 3 league matches, Galway played one of Corofins best forwards at number 6. Don't think he ever played in the backs before which shows just how much we are struggling there.

Honestly, if Mayo are to win an all Ireland this year, they need to be beating this Galway team. Probably said the same last year and ye still came close. But it would definitely be a massive blow to lose twice to Galway in 2 years. There'll be some hits in this match!

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Green Peter

According to Paul Kimmage in the info, mayo will never win an all Ireland in his lifetime! I hear he's as healthy as a rat!

• Advertisement

Galway have improved - there are certainly no passengers in our forward line.

It was a general comment really, not limited to the forwards!

Galway have 9 or 10 very good forwards, I don't think the best 6 are necessarily starting though

Walsh, Comer and Cummins should be certainties imo but from there there's plenty of options. Army's club form probably merits inclusion and Sice is hard to leave out. I don't agree with playing Flynn at 10 though and Brannigan mixes the good and the bad. Daly is a bit raw yet. Lundy unfortunately never reached the same heights as 2014 again.

I think Heaney is a good option at 12 rather than wing back myself.

You have the likes of Ian Burke and even Meehan to come in as well.

Galway are certainly capable of putting up a good score but they're about 8th best in Ireland now whereas we should be 2nd/3rd. And there should be a gulf there as a result - with all due respect

I think the name "Galway" puts some Mayo people on edge - particularly older generations. If this was Kildare (kick of the ball really between them and Galway) it'd be seen as a handy win by many

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement