Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

In our last 3 league matches, Galway played one of Corofins best forwards at number 6. Don't think he ever played in the backs before which shows just how much we are struggling there.

He played all his underage career in the backs for some absolutely exceptional Corofin teams. Big difference to inter-county senior football I know, but he's not a complete novice to defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

elefant wrote: »
    He played all his underage career in the backs for some absolutely exceptional Corofin teams. Big difference to inter-county senior football I know, but he's not a complete novice to defending.

Thanks - wasn't aware of that. Must've been some forward line for him not be played there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

jr86 wrote: »
    It was a general comment really, not limited to the forwards!

Galway have 9 or 10 very good forwards, I don't think the best 6 are necessarily starting though

Walsh, Comer and Cummins should be certainties imo but from there there's plenty of options. Army's club form probably merits inclusion and Sice is hard to leave out. I don't agree with playing Flynn at 10 though and Brannigan mixes the good and the bad. Daly is a bit raw yet. Lundy unfortunately never reached the same heights as 2014 again.

I think Heaney is a good option at 12 rather than wing back myself.

You have the likes of Ian Burke and even Meehan to come in as well.

Galway are certainly capable of putting up a good score but they're about 8th best in Ireland now whereas we should be 2nd/3rd. And there should be a gulf there as a result - with all due respect

I think the name "Galway" puts some Mayo people on edge - particularly older generations. If this was Kildare (kick of the ball really between them and Galway) it'd be seen as a handy win by many

Yeah you've got your finger on the pulse regarding galway - I agree with pretty much everything you say. I think we will come reasonably close to starting our 6 best forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I wouldn't read into the result an awful lot. They did what they needed to do. I was hoping to see a bit more of something new, it all seems a bit jaded at this stage in terms of forward play.
    The defense is immense and midfield is solid but there is nothing inventive in their forward approach.

The more I think about it the more Aidan O'Shea should be left at no.11 for Mayo.
    They need someone to break the halfback line and actually be incisive. There is no place for Conor O'Shea in a counties forward line that has aspirations to be in the championship come August.

Clarke's short kick-outs also need improvement. It's something that's so important in the modern game but he is nowhere near the standards set by Cluxton.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

One of those games that you just have to win, get changed and get home. Nothing to be gained from putting the foot to the throat. They were never in danger of losing.

Watching that game I never really felt Mayo were in any great danger of losing against a very limited Sligo team who had no great ambitions or belief of winning. Playing one forward first half when they had a strong breeze showed that early on.
    That said do you really want to leave yourself in the position of being only 3 points up with 9 minutes to go!
    In an end of season middle table league game no great sense in going all out putting the foot to the throat, but this was championship where being absolutely ruthless too the final ball should be the total mindset regardless imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Blackjack wrote: »
    Learn to count there like a good lady.

Your right, on rewatching it last night it was at least 12 steps?
    No?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

jay0109 wrote: »
    No?

It was indeed :D

He was fouled and advantage played. But if it was the other way around I wouldn't have been too happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Galway have 9 or 10 very good forwards, I don't think the best 6 are necessarily starting though

Have they though, they have Comer and Walsh but I'm not sure than any of the others would make a Mayo team that's often criticised because of their poor forwards?

Stereotypes often stick! Lazy journalists are quick to point out that Galway have great attackers, because Galway had exceptional forwards back in the day, but I'm not convinced that they are any better than Mayo's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Are Galway going to play in a similar style to how they played in the league final? Is that a style of play that they're looking to persist with long term?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Have they though, they have Comer and Walsh but I'm not sure than any of the others would make a Mayo team that's often criticised because of their poor forwards?

Stereotypes often stick! Lazy journalists are quick to point out that Galway have great attackers, because Galway had exceptional forwards back in the day, but I'm not convinced that they are any better than Mayo's.

Exactly right. The thing is Galways forwards are being judged on playing in D2 while Mayo's are judged on not beating Dublin in all Ireland finals.
    I like Galway's forwards, but do people think Comer would do the same damage with 3 Dublin defenders mauling him? Would Walsh be as effective while being double marked with guys taking turns trying to get a rise out of him?

On the topic of the Sligo game, I thought Sligo utilised the tactical foul very effectively to stop Mayo breaking. It was a big factor in keeping the game so close in the first half. Fair play to them for that, but our lads were naïve in staying on their feet and not getting these guys a black card, which would have killed off this tactic early doors.

Personally, I thought the challenge on mcloughlin was nasty. The Sligo chb lined him up as he was picking up the ball. It was dangerous play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

jay0109 wrote: »
    No?

I think he took about 3 steps.... right at the end when technically, he didn't have to ball under control. About 9 steps before that though.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Watching that game I never really felt Mayo were in any great danger of losing against a very limited Sligo team who had no great ambitions or belief of winning. Playing one forward first half when they had a strong breeze showed that early on.
    That said do you really want to leave yourself in the position of being only 3 points up with 9 minutes to go!
    In an end of season middle table league game no great sense in going all out putting the foot to the throat, but this was championship where being absolutely ruthless too the final ball should be the total mindset regardless imo

Copper made a great point about Boland's fisted point. I thought it was a fantastic score after a well worked move. Copper said that we should have been thinking about nothing but a goal when in that position, that's what Dublin or Kerry would be looking for. That ruthless streak needs to be there irrespective of the opposition.

Saying that, it could have been a lot different if Durcan had taken his chance. Iirc there was about 20 left and it would have put us 6 up. If it went in I think it would have turned into a procession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

According to Paul Kimmage in the info, mayo will never win an all Ireland in his lifetime! I hear he's as healthy as a rat!

It was the interviewee who said it. Try and get the simple facts right

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

According to Paul Kimmage in the info, mayo will never win an all Ireland in his lifetime! I hear he's as healthy as a rat!

Wasnt Paul Kimmage, that other no one lad Connolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

yop wrote: »
    Wasnt Paul Kimmage, that other no one lad Connolly.

Eh? :confused:

Eh? :confused:

I never copped u had posted that! :D Same as you, Connolly said it, no Kimmage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Id take Sean Armstrong on form but I suppose it's hard to measure the whole thing relatively.

Probably playing his best ever football for Salthill

Galway's forwards might not walk into the top sides but that doesn't mean they're not very good in their own right

If you think I'm basing this on what journalists say- forget it, I've been based im galway years now since college, play my club football here, and go to more club matches here than I can even count.

PARlance wrote: »
    Copper made a great point about Boland's fisted point. I thought it was a fantastic score after a well worked move. Copper said that we should have been thinking about nothing but a goal when in that position, that's what Dublin or Kerry would be looking for. That ruthless streak needs to be there irrespective of the opposition.

Saying that, it could have been a lot different if Durcan had taken his chance. Iirc there was about 20 left and it would have put us 6 up. If it went in I think it would have turned into a procession.
    I thought Boland should have buried that myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

He probably should have but Id cut him some slack on that one. It was his first championship game and he had missed a bad one in the first half. Going for it and missing was probably in his thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Id take Sean Armstrong on form but I suppose it's hard to measure the whole thing relatively.

Probably playing his best ever football for Salthill

Galway's forwards might not walk into the top sides but that doesn't mean they're not very good in their own right

If you think I'm basing this on what journalists say- forget it, I've been based im galway years now since college, play my club football here, and go to more club matches here than I can even count.

Galway may have sprung a sprung a surprise last year on Mayo, but perhaps a few things should be taken into account on that.

That was in Mc Hale not Salthill and Galway have gained promotion to Division One since.
    I would look on them as a better settled side this year than last, and they have home advantage, even if for Galway that seems to be a bit hit and miss where Salthill is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The subhead on Kimmage story is completely misleading!

As someone who gets occasional stuff published sub eds are a fkn torment. Obviously one of them picked that quote and stuck it on front to sell the piece. Wouldn't imagine Kimmage - who has minimal interest in GAA anyway - was too happy!

Paper never refuses ink as they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭boosabum

i found the his story about the stats guy letting his clipboard fall at half time in a league game far more insulting, seemed a petty response to a stupid comment

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

On the topic of the Sligo game, I thought Sligo utilised the tactical foul very effectively to stop Mayo breaking. It was a big factor in keeping the game so close in the first half. Fair play to them for that, but our lads were naïve in staying on their feet and not getting these guys a black card, which would have killed off this tactic early doors.

Mayo fan behind me nearly gave himself an aneurysm roaring at the Ref about that, I thought it was gas.

There was a double hop in the lead up to the first goal, I didn't feel the urge to charge onto the field and go after the Ref about it. (I'm no bull) :o

I thought it would play out similarly to the Sligo/NY game, with Sligo pushing Mayo for a good while with Mayo pulling away at the end, although if Sligo levelled it up with that goal chance with 10 minutes left you wouldn't know what would happen next.

I'm still a bit traumatised after the 2015 game, so I wasn't overly disappointed about the result, Mayo will be there or thereabouts come September.

boosabum wrote: »
    i found the his story about the stats guy letting his clipboard fall at half time in a league game far more insulting, seemed a petty response to a stupid comment

Kind of incredible that the guy is still dwelling on an encounter in a lift from like 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

The best play there was a little dink across to Jason D who was unmarked at the far post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

PressRun wrote: »
    Kind of incredible that the guy is still dwelling on an encounter in a lift from like 3 years ago.

Sounded very bitter about a nothing incident alright.

Panrich wrote: »
    The best play there was a little dink across to Jason D who was unmarked at the far post.

On a side note I thought Doherty had a very stellar cameo, worked like a trojan off the ball and showed brilliantly

Mayo's most underrated player of this era imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Panrich wrote: »

I'm a big fan of the fisted point.

It's the sign of a smart player.

Remember Meath v Westmeath a few years back, Meath could have fisted a point late in injury time to level the game and probably bring it to a replay but instead went for a goal that ended up in a turnover and a goal down the other end for Westmeath, game over.

If I recall Boland's point came at a time when Mayo were making heavy going of it and Sligo were picking off a few scores.

It was a good score to settle Mayo down.

On a side note I thought Doherty had a very stellar cameo, worked like a trojan off the ball and showed brilliantly

Himself and to a lesser extent Kevin Mc the 2 that do so much of the heavy lifting that goes unappreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Are Galway going to play in a similar style to how they played in the league final? Is that a style of play that they're looking to persist with long term?

Quite probably yes. As a Galwayman I wouldn't be thrilled about seeing 13 players in our own half, it's never really been the Galway way of playing football but I can understand why Kevin Walsh is implementing that sort of tactic. Our defence is very weak and if we were to go man to man against any of the top teams, Mayo included, we'd be in trouble.

Since a couple of Mayo posters including yourself have spoken highly of Doherty I will keep a closer eye on him the next day. I've always liked those players that do the unseen dirty work that doesn't grab the headlines, they can be crucial.

However in the big games Mayo have played over the last few years I just didn't see it, to me Doherty always looked to be playing on the periphery, never really contributing enough for a forward starting in a top 3 team, and certainly not contributing a lot on the scoreboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

aidan24326 wrote:
    However in the big games Mayo have played over the last few years I just didn't see it, to me Doherty always looked to be playing on the periphery, never really contributing enough for a forward starting in a top 3 team, and certainly not contributing a lot on the scoreboard.

Funny thing is that when he first broke into the team he was a total goal machine. He regularly scores big totals for his club. He has obviously been asked to change at some stage by a county mgt setup and never reverted back.

The work Doherty does is never going to make The Sunday Game highlights but I think he brings something which I've noticed more since he's recently been left out of the starting 15. He's very strong, good in the tackle and great at winning turnovers. I have found that he does make a difference when he comes on. Gets on a lot of ball.

Diarmuid had to get stitches, I'm told. Seamie concussed. Not sure what they story is with Kevin McLoughlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Diarmuid had to get stitches, I'm told. Seamie concussed. Not sure what they story is with Kevin McLoughlin.

Kev's injury looked to me to be his back or side, ribs maybe? Some gash on Diarmuid's eye :eek:

DAdn8phXgAAoAwX.jpg

Seamie looked well rattled coming off, his head hit the ground with some thump. Hopefully all ok for Galway, any word of Harrison? Couldn't find anything in the local papers.

And on that and going back to a comment last week, barely a mention of the U17 game in the papers. You would think they would give them a little write up.

• Advertisement

Harrison had a hamstring injury last I heard. Not sure when he's expected back.

Worth registering to read this article, Fogarty proving once again why he's one of the top GAA journos out there:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/john-fogarty/obsession-with-mayo-is-now-a-sickness-450676.html

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Kev's injury looked to me to be his back or side, ribs maybe?

Apparently he has bruised ribs, yeah. Suppose we'll find out in a couple of weeks who is back on their feet and available. Jason will probably start if Kev can't. Would hope to see Harrison back, but I'm not sure on the outlook for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Obsession with Mayo is now a sickness

Slamming Mayo is now fashionable and the more outrageous the statement, the better, writes John Fogarty

Fergus Connolly has a book coming out later this year. That’s best to keep in mind when considering the sports science and performance consultant’s claim in a Sunday Independent interview Mayo will not win an All-Ireland in his lifetime. When he lambasted Aidan O’Shea for appearing on a TV show because he has yet to win an All-Ireland medal. When he argued a media ban would be the first step to helping Mayo to their elusive goal.

Connolly might argue he would maintain such convictions regardless of his forthcoming publication but then he knows how marketing works too and that Mayo are the easiest of lays. In that regard, he could have been more original but there is an understandable inclination to be in the spotlight as he has something to sell.

A few months prior to Tom?s ? S?’s autobiography two years ago, the former Kerry star levelled Cork, describing them as ‘underachievers’ and ‘untrustworthy’. He might live in Cork but the notoriety cultivated from those comments did his sales little harm.

In a way, such behaviour reminds us of how a GAA president, keen to make a bigger impression with a year to go in office, makes a declaration. In 2011, Christy Cooney flew the kite of the provincial boundaries being redrawn. In November last year, Aog?n Farrell said the GAA may in the future need to reconsider the use of the tricolour and the national anthem. Cooney made his remarks in a Congress address but never followed them up. Farrell was answering a question about the meaning of the tricolour and national anthem to non-Irish playing Gaelic games abroad but brought his answer around to the island of Ireland (yet later sought to clarify his comments).

Put simply, each wanted to make headlines.

There was nothing different in what Bernard Flynn’s “I’m going to share it — I wasn’t going to but I’m going to do it” denigration of O’Shea following his appearance in Mayo’s recent challenge game against Meath in Mullingar. The former Meath forward was simply trying to reassert his relevancy. Condemning O’Shea for agreeing to pose for photographs and sign autographs while his team warmed down was indeed as, Flynn initially said on the RT? podcast, “a small thing” but he couldn’t help himself making it big.

Flynn mentioned he helped organise the challenge game, which took place in his club Mullingar Shamrocks’ Springfield pitch. What he neglected to point out was O’Shea was born in Mullingar. His father Jim was a former chairman of the club and was on the Shamrocks team that won two Westmeath senior county championships.

The O’Shea family’s connection with the club was not lost on the player and club officials have confirmed to us that his and his team-mates’ patience and cooperation with the children was the subject of much positive comment that evening.

Neither did Flynn care to divulge the game was broken up in two 45-minute periods and O’Shea had played the entirety of the first one after which he had joined a team huddle. He appeared in the second period but only for a short time.

It wasn’t a surprise that Stephen Rochford took exception to Flynn’s comments following Sunday’s game. He has a duty of care to his players and protecting their characters should be high on his list of priorities.

In 2011, Jim McGuinness felt compelled to defend his charges in the wake of Pat Spillane “running down” his team after their win over Donegal. A spotlight should be shone Mayo’s way but at times it seems it’s being done to blind them into crashing again. Mayo have far more reason to be aggrieved with how they are being portrayed than Donegal were. It will be said that they have brought a lot of it upon themselves but much of it is now so tenuous it’s laughable.

Connolly is about 40. All things going well, he has at least another 40 of them left. The arguments he sets out for why Mayo won’t win an All-Ireland in his lifetime are all short-term explanations. But that doesn’t matter. What matters is that slamming Mayo is fashionable and the more outrageous the statement the better.

Connolly criticises O’Shea for doing media work when off O’Shea’s back he is doing the very same thing to promote himself. Flynn rebukes O’Shea for being courteous to the kids of his own club to keep himself in the limelight. That’s more cynical than Kieran Hughes’ black card foul in Clones on Saturday. The actions of the pair are symptomatic of the obsession with Mayo. Just as there is a fixation with success, there is with near-success or failure, term it however you wish.

The slightest shortcoming is magnified to be something it isn’t, the merest mistake amplified to ridiculous proportions. Because other than not being good enough on the day, which probably should satisfy us, we can’t work Mayo out.

But the words of Connolly and Flynn, following on from others, illustrate that the obsession with Mayo has grown unhealthy. With preposterous declarations and character assassinations, people are making fame off their shame. That says more about those casting aspersions on Mayo than what they think about them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I hope a Fella Making them Kind of Statements has His Will Made........

He'd look kind of Silly if the Footballing Gods came calling........:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

blinding wrote: »
    I hope a Fella Making them Kind of Statements has His Will Made........

He'd look kind of Silly if the Footballing Gods came calling........:P

Why do people make statements like that? Only lining themselves up for backlash if it does happen.

It's one of two things - he either really believes it, which would be stupid considering he has no idea what the Mayo team will be like in 10 years, or he's being hyperbolic, and there's better ways to get his point across than silly statements like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Django99 wrote: »
    Why do people make statements like that? Only lining themselves up for backlash if it does happen.

It's one of two things - he either really believes it, which would be stupid considering he has no idea what the Mayo team will be like in 10 years, or he's being hyperbolic, and there's better ways to get his point across than silly statements like that.
    Its like those Gob**ites that say they will leave a country if so and so Politician wins an election............And they Stick around like a bad Smell..........:p

seligehgit wrote: »
    Obsession with Mayo is now a sickness

Slamming Mayo is now fashionable and the more outrageous the statement, the better, writes John Fogarty

Fergus Connolly has a book coming out later this year. That’s best to keep in mind when considering the sports science and performance consultant’s claim in a Sunday Independent interview Mayo will not win an All-Ireland in his lifetime. When he lambasted Aidan O’Shea for appearing on a TV show because he has yet to win an All-Ireland medal. When he argued a media ban would be the first step to helping Mayo to their elusive goal.

Connolly might argue he would maintain such convictions regardless of his forthcoming publication but then he knows how marketing works too and that Mayo are the easiest of lays. In that regard, he could have been more original but there is an understandable inclination to be in the spotlight as he has something to sell.

A few months prior to Tom?s ? S?’s autobiography two years ago, the former Kerry star levelled Cork, describing them as ‘underachievers’ and ‘untrustworthy’. He might live in Cork but the notoriety cultivated from those comments did his sales little harm.

In a way, such behaviour reminds us of how a GAA president, keen to make a bigger impression with a year to go in office, makes a declaration. In 2011, Christy Cooney flew the kite of the provincial boundaries being redrawn. In November last year, Aog?n Farrell said the GAA may in the future need to reconsider the use of the tricolour and the national anthem. Cooney made his remarks in a Congress address but never followed them up. Farrell was answering a question about the meaning of the tricolour and national anthem to non-Irish playing Gaelic games abroad but brought his answer around to the island of Ireland (yet later sought to clarify his comments).

Put simply, each wanted to make headlines.

There was nothing different in what Bernard Flynn’s “I’m going to share it — I wasn’t going to but I’m going to do it” denigration of O’Shea following his appearance in Mayo’s recent challenge game against Meath in Mullingar. The former Meath forward was simply trying to reassert his relevancy. Condemning O’Shea for agreeing to pose for photographs and sign autographs while his team warmed down was indeed as, Flynn initially said on the RT? podcast, “a small thing” but he couldn’t help himself making it big.

Flynn mentioned he helped organise the challenge game, which took place in his club Mullingar Shamrocks’ Springfield pitch. What he neglected to point out was O’Shea was born in Mullingar. His father Jim was a former chairman of the club and was on the Shamrocks team that won two Westmeath senior county championships.

The O’Shea family’s connection with the club was not lost on the player and club officials have confirmed to us that his and his team-mates’ patience and cooperation with the children was the subject of much positive comment that evening.

Neither did Flynn care to divulge the game was broken up in two 45-minute periods and O’Shea had played the entirety of the first one after which he had joined a team huddle. He appeared in the second period but only for a short time.

It wasn’t a surprise that Stephen Rochford took exception to Flynn’s comments following Sunday’s game. He has a duty of care to his players and protecting their characters should be high on his list of priorities.

In 2011, Jim McGuinness felt compelled to defend his charges in the wake of Pat Spillane “running down” his team after their win over Donegal. A spotlight should be shone Mayo’s way but at times it seems it’s being done to blind them into crashing again. Mayo have far more reason to be aggrieved with how they are being portrayed than Donegal were. It will be said that they have brought a lot of it upon themselves but much of it is now so tenuous it’s laughable.

Connolly is about 40. All things going well, he has at least another 40 of them left. The arguments he sets out for why Mayo won’t win an All-Ireland in his lifetime are all short-term explanations. But that doesn’t matter. What matters is that slamming Mayo is fashionable and the more outrageous the statement the better.

Connolly criticises O’Shea for doing media work when off O’Shea’s back he is doing the very same thing to promote himself. Flynn rebukes O’Shea for being courteous to the kids of his own club to keep himself in the limelight. That’s more cynical than Kieran Hughes’ black card foul in Clones on Saturday. The actions of the pair are symptomatic of the obsession with Mayo. Just as there is a fixation with success, there is with near-success or failure, term it however you wish.

The slightest shortcoming is magnified to be something it isn’t, the merest mistake amplified to ridiculous proportions. Because other than not being good enough on the day, which probably should satisfy us, we can’t work Mayo out.

But the words of Connolly and Flynn, following on from others, illustrate that the obsession with Mayo has grown unhealthy. With preposterous declarations and character assassinations, people are making fame off their shame. That says more about those casting aspersions on Mayo than what they think about them.

That makes Flynn look like even more of a child. Incredible really. But hey let them grapple on that shi*te.
    No longer relevant players trying to make a name for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I think how players and management deal with the media is massive in modern sport to be honest. No-one plays a bigger role in building up or knocking down players than the media, and if I was an elite player, I'd limit my exposure and dealings with them to the minimum.

Good players go about their business with the minimum of fuss and public attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Flynn is only a pox

Dublin used to get same sort of nonsense. All sorts of amateur sports psychologists explaining why they would NEVER win anything!

To be honest I would imagine that Connolly is massively exaggerating his role in Dublin and in other places..

Bambi wrote: »
    Flynn is only a pox

Stop sitting on the fence Bambi :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I think how players and management deal with the media is massive in modern sport to be honest. No-one plays a bigger role in building up or knocking down players than the media, and if I was an elite player, I'd limit my exposure and dealings with them to the minimum.

Good players go about their business with the minimum of fuss and public attention.

That is a massive over generalisation imo. There are plenty of excellent players (in all sports, not just the GAA ) who have no problem with having a high profile & it does not negatively impact their success on the pitch.

It's one thing to say you would limit your exposure to the media, if you were an elite athlete. But what if Nike dangled $100 million under your nose, to promote their new runners? I'd say it would be a very different story then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Calling Flynn a tit is a terrible insult.

At least tits are useful and enjoyable

Injury updates, good news in general. Harrison back, others progressing.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/30088-rochford-issues-mayo-injuries-update

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement