Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Latest Mayo News Podcasts.

Mayo slip past Sligo

As the Connacht Championship campaign began with a victory for Mayo, Rob Murphy and John Gunnigan were in Castlebar to set the scene and reflect on the game itself.
    They were joined by Mike Finnerty, Edwin McGreal, Sean Rice and Ger Flanagan of The Mayo News, with guest appearances from Anne-Marie Flynn of Mayo Club '51, Colm Keys of the Irish Independent and former Mayo manager James Horan.

http://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2017-05-22T04_28_42-07_00.mp3

Mayo News Podcast Bonus Episode Brendan Harrison

A bonus extra podcast for this Championship week as Rob Murphy and John Gunnigan return with some special guests to look ahead to the Galway game just a few days on from the win over Sligo.

http://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2017-05-26T05_48_42-07_00.mp3

Sean Rice's analysis is absolutely on the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Love the line
    For those that have come out the right side of a bouncing ball or the fine margins, they feel that they have the right to slander the character of those that don't.

So true.

Good point made on the Mayo GAA podcast extra about Galway.

For all of the talk of their beating Mayo last year and their improvement with the Div 2 title etc people seem to have airbrushed out the fact that they went and lost to Tipp in the QF last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Good point made on the Mayo GAA podcast extra about Galway.

For all of the talk of their beating Mayo last year and their improvement with the Div 2 title etc people seem to have airbrushed out the fact that they went and lost to Tipp in the QF last year.

I don't necessarily see any crazy hype about Galway. There's a bit of hype about the game, nothing more than I would expect when you have a local derby, a team who beat us last year, a team who go promotion to Div 1. Added to that, it's early championship... anything will get hyped.

They deserve credit for what they've done. I wouldn't fear them but it should be a decent game. Around this time last year, we were losing to Galway and stumbling / lucky to get passed Fermanagh. Have we airbrushed that out?

An optimistic Galway man could throw that and a poor league campaign with a not overly convincing Sligo match at us.

PARlance wrote: »
    I don't necessarily see any crazy hype about Galway. There's a bit of hype about the game, nothing more than I would expect when you have a local derby, a team who beat us last year, a team who go promotion to Div 1. Added to that, it's early championship... anything will get hyped.

They deserve credit for what they've done. I wouldn't fear them but it should be a decent game. Around this time last year, we were losing to Galway and stumbling / lucky to get passed Fermanagh. Have we airbrushed that out?

An optimistic Galway man could throw that and a poor league campaign with a not overly convincing Sligo match at us.

Well Mayo did get to the All Ireland and lost by a point in a replay, so what happened in the lead up is less relevant.

In fact the national media narrative at this point seems to be to write Mayo off.

But the Tipp game was Galway's last championship game, yet it's not getting mentioned much in all this talk of Galway's improvement.

Well Mayo did get to the All Ireland and lost by a point in a replay, so what happened in the lead up is less relevant.

In fact the national media narrative at this point seems to be to write Mayo off.

But the Tipp game was Galway's last championship game, yet it's not getting mentioned much in all this talk of Galway's improvement.

We must be consuming different media. I'm not seeing Galway being over hyped or us being written off really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

What I'd be looking at, more than the defeat to Tipperary last year, is the way they played in the Div 2 league final. Yes they won it, but that style of play is not making the most of what they have going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

PressRun wrote: »
    What I'd be looking at, more than the defeat to Tipperary last year, is the way they played in the Div 2 league final. Yes they won it, but that style of play is not making the most of what they have going forward.

It's also the only match in the league they played so defensively. So it will be interesting to see if they retain this tactics against Mayo.

It's also the only match in the league they played so defensively. So it will be interesting to see if they retain this tactics against Mayo.

Was quite surprised to see it in the Final. It's hard to call if you will but I think it would be very foolish to set up that way. I thought it was more of a reaction to the Tipp game (i.e a need to find a CP solution) rather than a signal of things to come against us.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

They were saying thats what drove Cork mad last Sunday, I didn't see the game, but they set up really defensively and Cork couldn't break it down.
    Hard to see Galway been the same.

yop wrote: »
    They were saying thats what drove Cork mad last Sunday, I didn't see the game, but they set up really defensively and Cork couldn't break it down.
    Hard to see Galway been the same.

I suspect Galway will play a sweeper (Johnny Heaney) but won't be as defensive. Comer and somebody else will play very close to goal. Could be wrong though.

will we see mcloughlin as sweeper in championship or has that been completely abandoned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Can only see terrace tickets for sale online. Is the stand sold out already?

• Advertisement

ureds wrote: »
    Can only see terrace tickets for sale online. Is the stand sold out already?

My guess is stand tickets distributed to clubs and season ticket holders. If any left over (which I'd say is doubtful), they'll go on general sale

will we see mcloughlin as sweeper in championship or has that been completely abandoned?

It would be a bit of a shock for me if he was. Given that he took a while to get used to the role last year, you would imagine that the league would have been used to get even more familiar with it. Based on the League, it doesn't look like we'll play a sweeper.

That really backfired against Dublin. It would be a brave and ballsy move to go without. Having a recognised FB again may help if going without.

Seeing how we shape up against ye is one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to the game. I genuinely don't have a clue what lays ahead. Some reckon a return to 2013 tactics of high press.

Short answer: who knows

It would be a bit of a shock for me if he was. Given that he took a while to get used to the role last year, you would imagine that the league would have been used to get even more familiar with it. Based on the League, it doesn't look like we'll play a sweeper.

That really backfired against Dublin. It would be a brave and ballsy move to go without. Having a recognised FB again may help if going without.

Seeing how we shape up against ye is one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to the game. I genuinely don't have a clue what lays ahead. Some reckon a return to 2013 tactics of high press.

Short answer: who knows

Seems strange to have abandoned it so abruptly this year.

I like McLoughlin. He played wing back early on in his Mayo career if I remember correctly. That's when I first noticed him anyway. Personally I thought the sweeper role and running out of defence suited him much better than a forward role.

Will he be your left footed free taker this year? As much as I rate him, he seems a tad unreliable on frees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Cillian should just take all the frees full stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

jr86 wrote: »

This
    End of story

I hate seeing mcloughlib stepping up even for a 14 yard free
    He doesn't look like he wants to be taking them

I'd have zero faith in him kicking one in an AI semi or final when needed
    Of course cillian will miss some too but not gimmees

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

km79 wrote: »
    This
    End of story

I hate seeing mcloughlib stepping up even for a 14 yard free
    He doesn't look like he wants to be taking them

I'd have zero faith in him kicking one in an AI semi or final when needed
    Of course cillian will miss some too but not gimmees

Cillian is a "natural" free taker too. He has all the technique and is well used to the pressure. He's taken them all his life. McLoughlin was a corner back at the turn of the decade.

Interestingly this different kicker each side nonsense never caught on in rugby and rightly so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

looks like season ticket holders can print off tickets from 12 noon on Friday after payment is taken Friday morning and its reserved seating so no fighting for seats :D:D:D
    Connacht GAA Senior Football Championship: Galway v Mayo June 11th 2017

A Chara,

Your County will once again take to the field in the GAA Championship on June 11th at Pearse Stadium, Galway. "Pay & Play" is in operation for this fixture so please ensure that the credit / debit card details on your account are up to date so that payment can be processed.

PAY & PLAY

We will be processing payments on Friday June 2nd. The pricing is as follows:

Adult - €20 (€5 discount included)
    Juvenile (U16) - €5

Please note that your Season Ticket will not be valid for this fixture if the payment cannot be processed.

Reserved Seating is in operation and you will be required to print off your match ticket(s) once payment has been processed.

OPT-OUT

If you wish to use your "Opt Out" for this fixture this must also be done via your Season Ticket account.

The "Opt Out" option is non-reversible and is available until midday on Friday June 2nd.

Once payments have been processed you will simply required to log in to your account and print off your match ticket(s).

Le meas,
    GAA Ticket Office

What side of the draw are Mayo on this year, A or B?

Oldtree wrote: »
    looks like season ticket holders can print off tickets from 12 noon on Friday after payment is taken Friday morning and its reserved seating so no fighting for seats :D:D:D

Haven't got that email on the Galway side yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

What side of the draw are Mayo on this year, A or B?
    The winners of Connacht are in the A side of the draw.... If we end up in the qualifiers I'm not sure what happens.

glack wrote: »
    The winners of Connacht are in the A side of the draw.... If we end up in the qualifiers I'm not sure what happens.

Managed to dig up the master fixtures list. Mayo & Galway are on the A side of the draw for the qualifiers, so if either of them reach the QFs they will play on the weekend of 29th/30th July.

http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/GaaIe/GAANews/13/47/27/FinalVersion-GAAMasterFixtureScheduleBooklet2017-15112016_Neutral.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Haven't got that email on the Galway side yet.

I hear that there is a problem with mayo county board telling clubs not to take any ticket orders yet.

Any word on injuries or anything like that? It's all been very quiet recently, have barely heard anything at all over the last while, which I suppose is a good thing.

Any word on injuries or anything like that? It's all been very quiet recently, have barely heard anything at all over the last while, which I suppose is a good thing.

Seems quiet enough build up so far alright. Guess it's early in the week though. When local papers with previews come out, it'll get people talking.

Joe.ie have a preview night on Thursday in Galway as well.

Conor O'Shea had his hand in a sling over the weekend. Not sure how bad it is, just spotted photos on Breaffy FB page.

• Advertisement

Mayo News podcast just out.

Not strictly football related but just seen the Mayo.ie tourism video. Keegan, Boyle and AO'S star in it. Very good advertisment for Mayo, focuses on Belmullet.

For any of the faint hearted. Aiden has a pair of red shoes and is also wearing a hat indoors. You've been warned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Not strictly football related but just seen the Mayo.ie tourism video. Keegan, Boyle and AO'S star in it. Very good advertisment for Mayo, focuses on Belmullet.

For any of the faint hearted. Aiden has a pair of red shoes and is also wearing a hat indoors. You've been warned.

Any truth in the rumour that Bernard Flynn has been banned from using any electronic devices with screens by his ma in case he sees this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

While we're on a roll.

It was suggested here a few weeks ago that Mayo needed a new manager who could deal with eggs... or ego's or something. One such suggestion was Peter Ford.

Peter Ford: "Aiden would be the most impressive guy that I've come across, as a footballer and a person"

That's saying a lot from a guy who has been around the block.

Interview in the Mayo News and also on the Podcast. I'm delighted people who love to hate him are getting a bit of a backlash. Hopefully they'll have ego's on their face in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

jr86 wrote: »

Easy to say that, but what happens then if you get to an AI semi final and he picks up a black card early or is injured? Spreading the easy free's around kinda makes sense because should something happen to your best free taker there's others coming in with some recent championship experience.

At least ye have a bloody decent free taker. Thank your lucky stars for that.

I don't think Kevin McLoughlin is the man to play back up anyway. He doesn't even look like he enjoys taking them and has kicked some shocking ones.

I don't think Kevin McLoughlin is the man to play back up anyway. He doesn't even look like he enjoys taking them and has kicked some shocking ones.

Aye well who should take them is another matter altogether.

Jayop wrote: »
    Easy to say that, but what happens then if you get to an AI semi final and he picks up a black card early or is injured? Spreading the easy free's around kinda makes sense because should something happen to your best free taker there's others coming in with some recent championship experience.

Reading that and thinking to myself... hold on a minute, he's from Tyrone.
    Jayop wrote: »
    At least ye have a bloody decent free taker. Thank your lucky stars for that.

And breath. Some shocking misses the last day. Surely Brennan has to be close to getting a starting spot? What we would give for having himself or McCurry.

• Advertisement

This

Agree totally on Brennan. I think easing him in this season is dead right, would have preferred him to get a bit more time against Derry but at least he's there. McCurry is the one that's wound us up for years, clearly has all the skills needed to be a top top player apart from the consistency.

Hard job to play as a forward these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

I also think the pressure of it takes from the rest of his game.

Kind of missing the buildup to the game,massive work project going on at the moment.I'll still be making the trip on Sunday to make the under 17s game at 1.30.

TBH I'm hearing no chit chat re the game,zero hype.Here's hoping we'll have a very good day on Sunday.I saw the second half of the under 17s clash against Sligo.I'm mindful of the fact that although it's a different grade the minors were well beaten by Galway the same evening the under 21s were dumped out of the under 21 championship.

Here is the #mayogaa team to face Galway on Sunday in Pearse Stadium at 4pm. #gaa https://t.co/w7f0foJsDx

No aido
    Doc starts instead of conor o shea

Keep them guessing Rochford ;)

km79 wrote: »
    Here is the #mayogaa team to face Galway on Sunday in Pearse Stadium at 4pm. #gaa https://t.co/w7f0foJsDx

No aido
    Doc starts instead of conor o shea

Keep them guessing Rochford ;)

You had me there with DOC for a minute. I've a feeling that team will start. Conor O'Shea is out injured anyway.

Nevermind about keeping "them" guessing, he's keeping us guessing too.

• Advertisement

You had me there with DOC for a minute. I've a feeling that team will start. Conor O'Shea is out injured anyway.

Nevermind about keeping "them" guessing, he's keeping us guessing too.

If a. O'se is fit, he should be starting. He has the potential to destroy Galway backs more than any other Mayo forward. My guess is that he will start and we will see 2 dummy teams named here.

If a. O'se is fit, he should be starting. He has the potential to destroy Galway backs more than any other Mayo forward. My guess is that he will start and we will see 2 dummy teams named here.

Listening to a few post Sligo interviews, I think Rochford is very keen to ease him back in as gently as possible. Whether we can afford to do that is a big question but I'm leaning towards him playing a similar role as against Sligo... albeit with a little more gametime.

The last thing we need is to be going down the qualifiers route again. I would be inclined to throw him in but Rochford did seem genuinely cautious about getting him back in. Bar a few club games, he has had next to no football this year.

I'd be beyond shocked if Aidan O Shea doesn't start with the potential to wreak havoc he has in the Galway full back line.I'd imagine Kevin Walsh is preparing his defence with the expectation that O Shea will start at full forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It worked 2 years ago as Galway were so open at the back and had a huge gap between their full-back and half-back lines. O'Shea was often left one on one at the back. I suspect they will have that entire area clogged up with bodies on Sunday.

The Mayo News podcast is great this week.

I get the impression that the two Galway guys on it have been living under rocks for the last few years.

Firstly they suggest that Michael Meehan and Sean Armstrong will do damage, as if it was 2006 all over again and then they suggest that if Mayo win as much as a challenge game they start talking about All Irelands, that day has long since passed as well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement