Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The Mayo News podcast is great this week.

I get the impression that the two Galway guys on it have been living under rocks for the last few years.

Firstly they suggest that Michael Meehan and Sean Armstrong will do damage, as if it was 2006 all over again and then they suggest that if Mayo win as much as a challenge game they start talking about All Irelands, that day has long since passed as well.

I wouldn't put it beyond Meehan to do something even in his current injury reduced state. But he may only get 15 minutes on the field. I suspect he may not even get on the field at all. He's still well able to win ball and score but only in short bursts.

Armstrong had a fairly unremarkable league campaign for Galway until the final against Kildare where he actually did play very well to be fair to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I wouldn't put it beyond Meehan to do something even in his current injury reduced state. But he may only get 15 minutes on the field. I suspect he may not even get on the field at all. He's still well able to win ball and score but only in short bursts.

Armstrong had a fairly unremarkable league campaign for Galway until the final against Kildare where he actually did play very well to be fair to him.

Meehan has hardly been able to train with them
    15 mins MAX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

km79 wrote: »
    Meehan has hardly been able to train with them
    15 mins MAX

I'd imagine that's the best case scenario. Nobody in Galway has a clue if Meehan will be involved on Sunday. I suspect he won't be.

seligehgit wrote: »
    I'd be beyond shocked if Aidan O Shea doesn't start with the potential to wreak havoc he has in the Galway full back line.I'd imagine Kevin Walsh is preparing his defence with the expectation that O Shea will start at full forward.

Yes, that's why I can only see him starting. I don't know if he's struggling with injury still but I'd be starting him rather than bringing him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I read one article written by a galway man where he said they wouldn't take any of Mayos forwards in the galway team, COC included...

And they say it is the Mayo lads that get carried away with things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

PARlance wrote: »
    The last thing we need is to be going down the qualifiers route again.

Might be no harm :D worked out well last time.
    but i'm getting excited nonetheless and you know what that means :D;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Oldtree wrote: »

You'll need new pants by Sunday???...... :D:D

I read one article written by a galway man where he said they wouldn't take any of Mayos forwards in the galway team, COC included...

What article was that, and who wrote it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Yes a link would be good though i suspect its not an 'article' as such but rather an online rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Oldtree wrote: »

Loser of Sunday's game will be in the A side which includes
    Laois
    Longford
    Louth
    Wicklow
    Kildare
    Meath
    Waterford
    Clare
    Kerry (unlikely)
    Derry
    Tyrone
    Donegal
    Antrim
    Sligo
    Munster loser
    Connacht loser

So with the exception of Tyrone and Donegal there should be nothing there that Mayo could not handle with some ease.
    And if they get to the QF then they play Connacht winner or Munster winner (likely Kerry)
    They would likely have to meet Kerry anyway in a SF so I reckon it might be even better to get them in a QF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We were very lucky last year with the back door. Survived a scare against Fermanagh and had one of the softest semi finals in a long time. The extra games last year also helped bed in the new/former sweeper system.

No backdoor this year please. Wouldn't be the worst thing for Galway imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Loser of Sunday's game will be in the A side which includes
    Laois
    Longford
    Louth
    Wicklow
    Kildare
    Meath
    Waterford
    Clare
    Kerry (unlikely)
    Derry
    Tyrone
    Donegal
    Antrim
    Sligo
    Munster loser
    Connacht loser

So with the exception of Tyrone and Donegal there should be nothing there that Mayo could not handle with some ease.
    And if they get to the QF then they play Connacht winner or Munster winner (likely Kerry)
    They would likely have to meet Kerry anyway in a SF so I reckon it might be even better to get them in a QF

Still not warming to the back door route Father Tod although you make a convincing enough argument if that indeed is what it is.

Too many games taking their toll on the bodies injury wise or not,in spite of the strength of teams on that side of the draw and the opportune time (quarter final) if such a time exists to slay the kingdom.

The back door is firmly shut.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

The reality is in Galway that we all know on Sunday we will have to play to our very best to have a chance . We might have caught ye on the hop last season but when it came to the crunch we were embarrassed by tipp while ye were within a kick of winning the all Ireland . Most of this talk such as no mayo forward would get on Galway team is obviously a piss take or else by a deluded person , I still have huge reservations bout the Galway back line and fear for Sunday with at least 3 of them .

spurshero wrote: »
    The reality is in Galway that we all know on Sunday we will have to play to our very best to have a chance . We might have caught ye on the hop last season but when it came to the crunch we were embarrassed by tipp while ye were within a kick of winning the all Ireland . Most of this talk such as no mayo forward would get on Galway team is obviously a piss take or else by a deluded person , I still have huge reservations bout the Galway back line and fear for Sunday with at least 3 of them .

I think 3 Mayo forwards would make the Galway team.
    Galway's advantage in their forwards comes from the depth of forwards they have. If they've guys not playing well, they have guys who have just as much ability to come on and change things. I'm not convinced that Mayo have as strong a bench as Galway in relation to forwards. Mayo are completely superior from 1-7 and have some very good defensive options. For example, Vaughan would walk onto the Galway half back line. I don't think any of the Galway backs would make the Mayo team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway Independent and the journalist in question is actually from Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Still not warming to the back door route Father Tod although you make a convincing enough argument if that indeed is what it is.

Too many games taking their toll on the bodies injury wise or not,in spite of the strength of teams on that side of the draw and the opportune time (quarter final) if such a time exists to slay the kingdom.

The back door is firmly shut.:)

Front door is far more desirable than the back door

Allows the team to plan better, no waiting for a draw on a Monday morning to find out where they are to be the following Saturday.

And they certainly were lucky with the draw last season.

That being said a loss on Sunday would not be the end of the world based on the quality of the A side.

Big possiblity of a Mayo or Kerry meeting one of Donegal or Tyrone in a QF too, which could be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Done deal if it's Mayo IMO. From a neutral point of view Kerry Tyrone would be a nice one.

Anybody have an idea what's the story with Brendan Harrison?Still out with the hamstring injury or a likely switch with Chris Barrett?

Anybody have an idea what's the story with Brendan Harrison?Still out with the hamstring injury or a likely switch with Chris Barrett?

He returned to training over a week ago (reported in last weeks Mayo News).

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    He returned to training over a week ago (reported in last weeks Mayo News).

Ta I'm on a bit of a media blackout atm,no time to even read the great publication that is the Mayo News.Going to give the podcast a listen tonight.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Galway Independent and the journalist in question is actually from Donegal.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/sport/topics/articles/2017/06/07/4141211-galway-v-mayo/
    ’ve said it for years but Galway have far superior forwards. Man for man, I actually would not take one Mayo forward into the starting Galway line including Cillian O’Connor. Cue hysteria north of the border but if Mayo had Galway’s forwards on top of the other 9 players, they’d already be All Ireland champions. Galway have speed, strength and superior goal kicking in the forwards and if they can match the midfield and somehow limit the impact of Mayo’s half backline, they’ll go very close on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

yop wrote: »
    You'll need new pants by Sunday???...... :D:D

I may well do! But I was more alluding to the fact that the missus has her runners at the ready jic for the next few days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

As a Galway man the notion that Cillian O'Connor wouldn't make it in to the Galway team is laughable.

Heading to the match on Sunday and to be honest I haven't a clue how it'll go. All I can guarantee is my auld lad will get pissed off about too much handpassing every 3 minutes.

Think ye'll have too much for us but our blanket will keep it a close one. Mayo by 2 or 3 points.

Well I actually think that of the 6 starting forwards the next day, 5 would also be starting for galway. I figure boland is there more because of the balance he offers and that might not be required for every team. AOS would also start.

Id argue there are more forwards starting for galway that wouldn't start for mayo than vice versa.

The Mayo guys are measured against Tyrone, Dublin and Kerry, the Galway lads are measured against a raft of Division 2 teams...

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Id argue there are more forwards starting for galway that wouldn't start for mayo than vice versa.

Have ye learned nothing from the last 15 to 20 years, ye have always lacked good forwards , always at least 3 short and this team is no different, mayo might win Sunday but it's what will come against ye in the end. This Galway team is on the up and they have natural forwards and they will win an all Ireland imo in the next 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Have ye learned nothing from the last 15 to 20 years, ye have always lacked good forwards , always at least 3 short and this team is no different, mayo might win Sunday but it's what will come against ye in the end. This Galway team is on the up and they have natural forwards and they will win an all Ireland imo in the next 5 years.

Might win get out of that your back line is a joke I expect it to be over by the time o shea is sprung from the bench

I was listening to the GAA Hour special preview of the match. The Aidan O'Shea thing was brought up. Conor Mortimer strongly suggested that there is an issue with management there which was interesting. I really dont see the logic of not starting O'Shea here. Start him close to goal, he wins a few early balls, scores / sets up a couple of goals and kill Galway off early. If Mayo get ahead by a few points early on, I don't see Galway pulling Mayo back. Galway will lose heart if Mayo pull ahead. It will be such a massive boost to Galway if they see O'Shea not starting. Our backs are relatively well suited to Mayo's other forwards but we definitely dont have a 'natural' marker for O'Shea.

I was listening to the GAA Hour special preview of the match. The Aidan O'Shea thing was brought up. Conor Mortimer strongly suggested that there is an issue with management there which was interesting. I really dont see the logic of not starting O'Shea here. Start him close to goal, he wins a few early balls, scores / sets up a couple of goals and kill Galway off early. If Mayo get ahead by a few points early on, I don't see Galway pulling Mayo back. Galway will lose heart if Mayo pull ahead. It will be such a massive boost to Galway if they see O'Shea not starting. Our backs are relatively well suited to Mayo's other forwards but we definitely dont have a 'natural' marker for O'Shea.

TBH I don't believe there's any issue with management,I think there's an agenda to try to stir things up into this whole big chasm in the Mayo camp where I don't believe it exists.

A lot of it arises from the nonsense spewed by the likes of Bernard Flynn re the autographs.The gist of it is Aidan O Shea is a mé féiner and not a team player.

None of this ties in with the facts by those who have worked closely with Aidan O Shea... James Horan,Peter Forde and the current management.

The management have been very consistent in their thinking,Aidan was injured whilst playing basketball and has played little football league or otherwise.He has an existing groin injury and in all probability needs to be eased back in with all the football he's played down through the years.But heck that line of thinking won't sell papers.

If he is in fact fit I'd definitely start him but I will respect the management's call.

TBH I don't believe there's any issue with management,I think there's an agenda to try to stir things up into this whole big chasm in the Mayo camp where I don't believe it exists.

A lot of it arises from the nonsense spewed by the likes of Bernard Flynn re the autographs.The gist of it is Aidan O Shea is a mé féiner and not a team player.

None of this ties in with the facts by those who have worked closely with Aidan O Shea... James Horan,Peter Forde and the current management.

The management have been very consistent in their thinking,Aidan was injured whilst playing basketball and has played little football league or otherwise.He has an existing groin injury and in all probability needs to be eased back in with all the football he's played down through the years.But heck that line of thinking won't sell papers.

If he is in fact fit I'd definitely start him but I will respect the management's call.

Yeah, just seemed strange that a former Mayo player (even Mortimer) to say that he thought there was an issue.

Yeah, just seemed strange that a former Mayo player (even Mortimer) to say that he thought there was an issue.

Remember Conor Mortimer had his issues with management teams in the past.He might be correct but I'd have my doubts.

• Advertisement

They didn't look too natural against tipperary im afraid...
    Mayo were 1point short of winning the all ireland last time out. If you galway lads need 3 forwards to kick one point, i wouldnt be crowing about natural anything.
    Galway have guys who look talented in d2 but are as of yet untested.

They didn't look too natural against tipperary im afraid...
    Mayo were 1point short of winning the all ireland last time out. If you galway lads need 3 forwards to kick one point, i wouldnt be crowing about natural anything.
    Galway have guys who look talented in d2 but are as of yet untested.

I don't think that tipp game happened
    Seems to have been stricken from a lot of minds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Mayo: J McNicholas (Kiltimagh); J Coyne (Ballyhaunis), B McLeod (Louisburgh), J Higgins (Aghamore); A McHale (Parke/Keelogues/Crimlin), R Brickenden (Westport), A McDonnell (Ballintubber); P Golderick (Charlestown), J Gallagher (Mayo Gaels); P Lambert (Westport), E Rowley (Westport), L Burke (Ballinrobe); J Jennings (Mayo Gaels), T Morris (Hollymount/Carramore), P Towey (Charlestown).

Galway: J Gubbins (Leitir Mór); C O’Neill (Cill Chonla), S Fitzgerald (Bearna), T Considine (Bóthar na Trá/Cnoc na Cathrach); C Monahan (Uachtar Ard), J Glynn (Baile Clár na Gaillimhe), M Boyle (Bearna); C Walsh (Baile Clár na Gaillimhe), J Keady (Bearna); O Moran (Cill Chlorín/Cluain Bheirne), M Tierney (Uachtar Ard), A Halloran (Bóthar na Trá/Cnoc na Cathrach); K Craven (Cill Chonla), O McDonagh (Leitir Mór), B Harlow (Naomh Micheál)

The nicest way I can put it is that if some in Galway are talking about 6 or so natural forwards then it's a little "romantic".

Mayo could indeed do with a few extra scoring forwards but today's game is built on a solid defence and plenty of strong runners in the middle third.

Mayo may be a player or two short of winning an All Ireland, Galway are at least 6 players short.

Remember Conor Mortimer had his issues with management teams in the past.He might be correct but I'd have my doubts.

The more I see of Conoreen on Twitter the more he is becoming a big Dub footballer lovin. He probably wants to try and get on the good side of journos and Dublin football to get a bit of a career out of him.

There is zero issue with AOS and management, its a trail of journo and keyboard warrior spew that will of course stick. Little bernadine flynn was the last on that and when the real truth came out then he looked 5ft 5" tall.

Will be a great game and the U17 game before hand. Id say it will sell out if it hasn't already.

It be with the other poster here, if we win then it will be 2 or 3 points. But I'm still very wary if the Galway forward line click then we could be in a lot of bother. Caff is still only coming back and will have a tough time Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jasonroche123

I figure boland is there more because of the balance he offers and that might not be required for every team. .

I am not 100 per cent convinced by Boland, H'es doing ok but he doesn't offer enough if you ask me. Don't think he'd manage against Kerry or Dublin , Maybe I'm being harsh but I just don't feel he's what we need atm, As regards the Game, Its not a certainty that we pull it off, But I reckon we will, galway were shocking against Tipp last year, lets hope that is the Galway we see

km79 wrote:
    I don't think that tipp game happened Seems to have been stricken from a lot of minds

It's not all that long ago Longford beat he in the championship! Many of the same players involved today

It's not all that long ago Longford beat he in the championship! Many of the same players involved today

And yet it is longer ago than the mother and father of all hidings was dished out to Galway at home by that same Mayo team...
    Many of the same players involved today ;)

Its 7 years and 5 players playing....... :o:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PARlance wrote:
    The nicest way I can put it is that if some in Galway are talking about 6 or so natural forwards then it's a little "romantic".

Galway have you rattled already PARlance and not a kick pass kicked either!

• Advertisement

And yet it is longer ago than the mother and father of all hidings was dished out to Galway at home by that same Mayo team... Many of the same players involved today

Who were beaten by Galway last year!!!

Ah you can't beat a bit of harmless banter most especially if you come out on the right side of the result!:D

Who were beaten by Galway last year!!!

Who were beaten by Tipp whom mayo then beat well ;)

Ah you can't beat a bit of harmless banter most especially if you come out on the right side of the result!:D

And at least it's not the Rossies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

When do they play Leitrim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Mayo win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

naughto wrote: »
    When do they play Leitrim

It's set for the 18th of June, but they'd be doing well to get all the sheep off the Hyde pitch by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Conoreen is just looking to drive traffic to his twitter account and Paddy Power blog by saying ****e that appeals to the great unwashed followers of the current all Ireland champions.

Lavelle
    Silke
    Kyne
    Sweeney
    Bradshaw
    GOD
    Wynne
    FOC
    Flynn
    Heaney
    Conroy
    Shane Walsh
    Daly
    Comer
    Armstrong

Galway team named,no Gary Sice or even more surprisingly Danny Cummins.Seriously rate that lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Lavelle
    Silke
    Kyne
    Sweeney
    Bradshaw
    GOD
    Wynne
    FOC
    Flynn
    Heaney
    Conroy
    Shane Walsh
    Daly
    Comer
    Armstrong

Galway team named,no Gary Sice or even more surprisingly Danny Cummins.Seriously rate that lad.

Cummins is a fairly good lad alright and could have caused us problems again. Galway forum reckons he struggled with injurys in the league. I reckon we'll see him at some stage on Sunday though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement