Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

One point with a gale behind them.

I really hope it's only the rumoured politics that's holding them back at underage, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

The kickouts are worrying. We're struggling to win our own. A combination of Clarke's technique and Tom and Seamie not showing enough in the middle. I nearly have heart failure every time Clarke goes short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

PressRun wrote: »
    The kickouts are worrying. We're struggling to win our own. A combination of Clarke's technique and Tom and Seamie not showing enough in the middle. I nearly have heart failure every time Clarke goes short.
    Every single team in the country has This sussed now
    It's not even a debate anymore
    He is a superior goalie to hennelly on every aspect bar the kick outs
    It s a problem but not much can be done

I'm not suggesting that we being back Hennelly. I'm just wondering if work is being done on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Relatively happy all things considered. Hoping that gale will be our fifteenth man.

Excellent performance pre Zippy's moment of madness. Strong bench to spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PressRun wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting that we being back Hennelly. I'm just wondering if work is being done on this.

It looks nervy but I think there's signs that work is being done. Much quicker than last year. Doesn’t inspire a massive amount of confidence though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Wonder how long they'll wait to bring AOS on. Wouldn't be the worst man to being on when a man down, Galway are sure to surround him with defenders.

How many scored conceded from kick outs now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Big ten minutes now

• Advertisement

Evan Regan, just not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PARlance wrote:

Twice in a row!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Not even close why did he not play it in after missing the first one the gobsh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Elverys must be wondering how Regan is used for promoting their product. Like Varley a few years ago, useless at this level.

That was tough to watch, Galway did their best to throw it away and still we couldn't capitalise. We're not looking great at all this year and I'm not hopeful about going through the qualifiers again, but we never do it the easy way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Can't argue with that. Galway certainly deserved that though disappointed we didn't take the chances we had towards the end, and we had plenty.

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    Not even close why did he not play it in after missing the first one the gobsh1te

Saw his name up in lights. Serious issues with decision making in that second half. Vaughen had an absolute brain fart earlier too.

Why Rochford didn't put O'Shea in at FF is absolutely beyond me. The worst decision of them all.

John Maughan on Mid West radio just now: "no All Ireland for Mayo this year". I'd tend to agree.

3 points direct from clarkes kickouts
    Lost by 1
    Hhhmmmmm

PARlance wrote:
    Why Rochford didn't put O'Shea in at FF is absolutely beyond me. The worst decision of them all.

True, he'd have eaten them alive I'd imagine.

Very very leggy from our big players.
    Leroy, Cillian and Andy to name just three who were shadows of their usual selves.
    Woeful shot selection from Regan at the death.

Looks like time has inevitably caught up with this group.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    True, he'd have eaten them alive I'd imagine.

Not only that, but the effect he'd have off the ball would've opened the game up for us. Puzzling decision to bring him on in the middle, I doubt he's even fit enough yet to go straight in there, it's a big ask for a player coming back from injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Bad day in Salthill - Galway were clever enough to snuff out any Mayo attacks - they reminded me a bit of Tyrone or Armagh during the bad days of swarm defence.

They did enough to push Mayo out of the game, but they will end up exactly as last year with a Connaught title and then hammered in the business end of the championship.

padd b1975 wrote:

Don't know, it was similar last year. Keegan was muck 12 months ago yet ended up POTY

Round 2A on Sat 1st July for Mayo then. Round 3A, should they win, is on the 8th. Should they keep winning and Galway win Connacht its more than likely Kerry in the QFs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Bad day in Salthill - Galway were clever enough to snuff out any Mayo attacks - they reminded me a bit of Tyrone or Armagh during the bad days of swarm defence.

They did enough to push Mayo out of the game, but they will end up exactly as last year with a Connaught title and then hammered in the business end of the championship.

Silverware though.

Galway are very much a team on the up. They'll be playing Division 1 next year.

Mayo on the other hand seemd to have regressed even further. The back door should be exciting.

Stoner wrote: »
    padd b1975 wrote:

Don't know, it was similar last year. Keegan was muck 12 months ago yet ended up POTY
    That's true!
    Although I thought he looked a few kgs too heavy out there today and was blowing hard at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Very very leggy from our big players.
    Leroy, Cillian and Andy to name just three who were shadows of their usual selves.
    Woeful shot selection from Regan at the death.

I don't think its 'time' at all. Don't know what you lads think but lots of your team are alarmingly overweight imo. Keegan, Barrett, Seamie O'Shea, even McLoughlin (and he's normally slight)......these lads are huge in comparison to the way they were back end of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

STB. wrote: »

Silverware though.

Galway are very much a team on the up. They'll be playing Division 1 next year.

Mayo on the other hand seemd to have regressed even further. The back door should be exciting.

What silverware was won today then? Disrespectful to say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Take your beating like a good maneen and worry about year own problems which ye have many of. Galway have beaten ye twice in a row now so sshhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

PARlance wrote: »

Don't think he'll see a mayo jersey this year again .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Rochford made some terrible decisions on the line today. Taking off Moran and McLoughlin when you need scores. Hmmmm

I don't think we will see regan again in a mayo jersey to be honest was in the fringes for awhile now. The man that was wanted at that point in time was Dillion to keep a cool head.
    Will have to get sky sports now for the games

Robson99 wrote: »
    Take your beating like a good maneen and worry about year own problems which ye have many of. Galway have beaten ye twice in a row now so sshhhh

Come out of the woodwork did ya.

I do hope Galway go on and beat t he rossies noting worse than the rossies thinking they will achieve anything

I don't think we will see regan again in a mayo jersey to be honest was in the fringes for awhile now. The man that was wanted at that point in time was Dillion to keep a cool head.
    Will have to get sky sports now for the games

Dillion wasn't on bench today which suggests he could be done. Unless he's injured?

Come out of the woodwork did ya.

No I didn't just dont like kids throwing their toys out of the pram.
    Mayo supporters should worry about their own failings first and foremost besides predicting how far Galway will get

No I didn't just dont like kids throwing their toys out of the pram.
    Mayo supporters should worry about their own failings first and foremost besides predicting how far Galway will get

You are in the mayo thread so like how are we throwing the toys out of the pram.
    Galway will prob win Connaught after that I can't see them progressing.
    The last 10 mins ye nearly threw the game away when ye where in control.

You are in the mayo thread so like how are we throwing the toys out of the pram.
    Galway will prob win Connaught after that I can't see them progressing.
    The last 10 mins ye nearly threw the game away when ye where in control.

Read the OP's comments about Galway and how far they will progress. Must be his way of cheering himself up

Read the OP's comments about Galway and how far they will progress. Must be his way of cheering himself up

Read mine there prob the same

Could we say that the sending off cost us the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Posted this in the Galway thread by mistake earlier.
    until today I thought the vitriol pointed at Cillian O'Connor that he got away with a lot was just sour grapes, but had to change my mind today, he got a player sent off very cleverly, even though at first viewing I thought it was a bang on black card, he also in the first half made contact twice with a Galway players face, the Galway Player got booked! and also when he got his yellow in the second it imo should have been red as he clearly struck the Galway player twice after the initial foul.
    He defo plays right on the edge, great footballer but could easily have seen red today for some stupid stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

It's early doors to make any calls on the season ahead. Yeah disappointing display and the red card made a different game of it for sure.

The quality of scores playing with the wind by both teams was worth the admission alone.

Can't fault Regan at the end. He is not shy, saw the chance and went for it. Plus previous errors paled in comparison - 2 potential points off woodwork.

Was surprised Vaughan stayed on in 2nd half. He was quiet bar one break and was unlucky not too get a free on that occasion. So surprised that Andy & Kev came off in 2nd.

Galway were weak at back and their keeper is suspect. Mayo locked down his kick out options and this made him vulnerable. He turned over one chance and we could have done better with it.

Roll on qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭Gael85

Could we say that the sending off cost us the game?

It did as allowed Johnny Heaney sweep up. Cillian O'Connor won most balls in first half that were kicked into him when Galway had no sweeper.

Only really caught the first half, could only dip in and out of the second half due to visitors.

My two cents:
    1. Build play is way, way too slow. The lateral passing was head melting to watch and I saw Diarmuid O'Connor running back towards his own goal with the ball more than once. Absolute nonsense, mindless play. There didn't seem to be anyone really showing for the ball at times either.
    2. The kickouts are a major problem. And before anyone starts, I'm not suggesting bringing back Hennelly. But this is a huge problem area. You won't win anything if you can't win your own kickouts. I'd hold Seamie and Tom Parsons partially responsible for this too. Serious work needs to be done here and there's no evidence that there has been.
    3. A word should be had with Keith Higgins. Admittedly, I've never seen him get a straight red card in my life before, but he badly let the team down today. We need his driving runs. What he did was stupid and as a more senior member of the squad, he's been around the block enough times to know better.
    4. Didn't catch the end, but did hear that Evan Regan was involved in two examples of very selfish play towards the end. That's not on either tbh.

Onwards anyway. I don't really feel all that downbeat about it tbh. There are problems that need sorting and maybe extra game time in the qualifiers is the time to do it.

Rochford made some terrible decisions on the line today. Taking off Moran and McLoughlin when you need scores. Hmmmm

There obviously not a full game in him. Would it not be better to bring him on for last 20/25 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Plenty of teams have won games with 14 men i wouldn't be using that as a excuse. Today was to the day that Mayo was to laid down a statement that they are still the kingpins of Connacht and prove to the GAA world that last years result was a once off for this Mayo team.

Congrats to Galway good value for their win against Mayo as they were last year. Its time now for some Mayo supporters (which includes the fellow that runs the gaablog) to forget about the complacent Galway that was beaten by Tipp because that was the true Galway team today, a difficult side to beat and score against and physical match for Mayo.

Long term the recent underage results an even bigger concern for Mayo. Big players and leaders to replaced this year or next and no like for like players coming through to step in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

finisklin wrote: »
    Can't fault Regan at the end. He is not shy, saw the chance and went for it. Plus previous errors paled in comparison - 2 potential points

Yes you can. Poor shot selection and even worse execution. Useless. Useless. Useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Posted this in the Galway thread by mistake earlier.
    until today I thought the vitriol pointed at Cillian O'Connor that he got away with a lot was just sour grapes, but had to change my mind today, he got a player sent off very cleverly, even though at first viewing I thought it was a bang on black card, he also in the first half made contact twice with a Galway players face, the Galway Player got booked! and also when he got his yellow in the second it imo should have been red as he clearly struck the Galway player twice after the initial foul.
    He defo plays right on the edge, great footballer but could easily have seen red today for some stupid stuff

A more cynical and sneaky version of Diarmuid Connolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What was Regan thinking.

The lack of on the shoulder running was a problem for mayo. We seemed to be passing to guy who were standing still.

I thought Rochford should have put Kirby in midfield and let aido in full forward.

I think the sending off did affect us. Lads were dropping with cramp and Galway got scores on the counter that they might not have got with a full 15.

Mayo seem to have an issue getting tackles in and turning it over. They don't seem to do enough.

Gael85 wrote: »
    There obviously not a full game in him. Would it not be better to bring him for last 20/25 minutes?

Hard to do that when he is not even on the bench.,

Hard to do that when he is not even on the bench.,

I was referring to Andy Moran

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement