Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Gael85 wrote: »
    I was referring to Andy Moran

Sorry mis-read that.

Posted this in the Galway thread by mistake earlier.
    until today I thought the vitriol pointed at Cillian O'Connor that he got away with a lot was just sour grapes, but had to change my mind today, he got a player sent off very cleverly, even though at first viewing I thought it was a bang on black card, he also in the first half made contact twice with a Galway players face, the Galway Player got booked! and also when he got his yellow in the second it imo should have been red as he clearly struck the Galway player twice after the initial foul.
    He defo plays right on the edge, great footballer but could easily have seen red today for some stupid stuff

The black card was very similar to the James McCarthy black card in the AI drawn match. Could it be that O'Connor is using this 'tactic' to deliberately get players black carded? I hope not but they seemed like 2 very similar incidents to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'm at my lowest ebb since the longford game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

The black card was very similar to the James McCarthy black card in the AI drawn match. Could it be that O'Connor is using this 'tactic' to deliberately get players black carded? I hope not but they seemed like 2 very similar incidents to me.

Sorry but James McCarthy deliberately blocked a man tryin to get to the man in possession. This crap about mccarthy being stitched up is completely untrue. It was a cynical 3rd man tackle and he knew what he was doing 100%. People took the hump that oconnor went to ground, but it is like in a game of soccer, where if a guy is fouled in the box and doesnt go to ground, it ends up not being given.

On the one today. Tom Flynn knew he was going to be in O'Connors way, any guy who has played football will tell you that. While he didnt have to move into the way, he made sure oconnor wasnt going to get by either. Was it a black card Id say no because the play came to him - but it was a foul. However, if the ref dishes out a black instead of just calling a foul, that is hardly o'connor's fault in fairness.

Personally, I think galway got a few breaks on the day that swung the game their way. The red card was a big factor obviously and Bradshaw was lucky that he wasnt the man to even things up at 14 each. There were a few small things at big moments. For example the clearance off the line where the guy then goes to ground, probably should be a free in rather than out. There was another where a kickout rebounds off a few hands and drops right into paul conroys path on the run. He then went to ground very easily and got a free in, which was kicked over. Down the other end a few minutes later keegan went to ground similarly easily and didnt get the free. Sometimes you just need a few things to go your way and they went for galway this time. Best of luck to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

km79 wrote: »

Chin up my friend we are not done yet we are close but not yet.
    We will get through the qualifying like we did last yr.
    We will get better with ever game as long as we have no major injuries and we can sort out the kick outs we can go on a run to Crocker.

naughto wrote: »
    Chin up my friend we are not done yet we are close but not yet.
    We will get through the qualifying like we did last yr.
    We will get better with ever game as long as we have no major injuries and we can sort out the kick outs we can go on a run to Crocker.

My heart is broken for those players
    I'm ALWAYS positive about our chances and stubborn in the face of any criticism
    But for the first time in 6 years I just don't see it
    Limerick will haunt me for many mire years

First time since then that I'm genuinely upset after a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

What do people think about Keegan playing number 6? I think there are better ways of using him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Cillian diving? Surely you jest. :)

Bambi wrote: »
    Cillian diving? Surely you jest. :)

Goes to ground easy? Yes.
    Does he go to ground when he isnt fouled though? I cant recall it ever happening.

All forwards out there go to ground. Connolly went to ground to get keegan a black last year. I dont see the point of being disingenous about it and pretending it is only guys you dont like that are doing it... I dont see the point of labelling it as diving either. Diving is what luis suarez does, i.e. throw the leg out and go over with no contact. That isnt what we are seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Chin up my friend,think how the lads are feeling themselves.:)

• Advertisement

I think Keith's red card made the pressing game more difficult and we were lacking real penetration without him. Pressing made us weak in the middle (though I didn't think Seamie and Tom were functioning all that well anyway). Keith's runs often give a lot of momentum too aned often provide a platform to get things motoring going forward.

Diarmuid had a very poor game, imo, and could have been subbed at half time. He has looked very out of sorts.

Couldn't give a flying **** what outsiders think of Cillian and his antics. Every team has at least one player who is on the edge, some have more than one.

Similarly to yourself seligehgit, I also don't feel overly downbeat. Have seen more worrying performances than that from Mayo.

Time for the post mortem.

First of all congratulations to Galway.I have long believed this Galway team are on the way up and they proved last year's win was no once off.There was some real quality performances on the pitch today.Damian Comer,Michael Daly and Sean Armstrong in particular stood out in the forwards.Comer is a class act,a few beautiful scores taken with and without the assistance of the wind.Armstrong was very good off the ground with his frees most especially the 45s against the wind although he missed a couple.

Michael Daly is another class act,gliding around the pitch at pace with no lack of pomp and grace and taking his scores.Gary Sice chipped in with a vital free,it says something for the quality of the Galway forward line that an injured Danny Cummins,Michael Lundy,Barry McHugh,Michael Farragher and Micha?l Meehan are on the bench.So much quality throughout the team in Conroy,Flynn,O Curraoin,O Donnell,Bradshaw.Kieran Molloy and Peter Cooke other promising under 21s.Yet defensively Galway will most definitely have to improve.

After a great start by the Tribesmen I thought we settled in very well with the help of the Kevin McLoughlin and in fact were a tad wasteful in front of the posts,in particular Cillian.I thought we were controlling the game very well playing into a very strong wind until Keith Higgins sending off which was a huge blow.Not only did it mean we'd to play 45 minutes with a man down but the man lost was central to our defensive shield.No excuses for Keith whose action was totally out of character.I'm sure there's nobody beating themselves up more than Keith himself.

In spite of all that we only went in a point shy at the interval and I remained confident we could pull it out of the bag with the wind at our backs.I did legislate for the great start that Galway made to the second half,we were in real trouble when they ran at us.

Yet we spurned a multitude of chances,some easy and others not so easy when the game was in the melting pot.I was surprised Seamie O Shea was not called ashore earlier,he has had better days.Our much vaunted half back only partially functioned.Andy Moran was called ashore having had the beating of his man for long periods.I thought Stephen Coen was ineffectual.Diarmuid O Connor's loss of form is very worrying,a much below par performance by the standards we measure him.

I thought the game was crying out for the introduction of Aidan O Shea and Danny Kirby much earlier,Aidan's injury is obviously significant.I understood the logic of putting Aidan in the middle as I thought we struggled to get a strong foothold in this sector and Tom Parsons rose his performance post Aidan's intro.Yet we were crying out for Aidan to be stationed in the square too.The Galway goalkeeper Rory Lavelle alongside his full back line was vulnerable all day on kickouts and general play.Although we were a man down I thought in the second half we could have pressed up higher on the Galway kickouts splitting the full back line.A few long kickouts were forced down on Aidan O Shea.Evan Regan's shot selection at the death was unforgivable,a couple of hail marys seeking the glory.

The positives,I'm not as down in the dumps as many seem to be.There is inevitably the issue with David Clarke's kickouts but the receivers must take their share of the culpability for any scores conceded.Chris Barrett put in a very good shift.Ger Caff had a solid outing and Cillian O Connor was yet again our go to man,shame about the pressure cooker last free kick.I know many outsiders dislike his antics,I agree Tom Flynn was very unlucky with the black card and Cillian really does play right on the edge and I never like to see any lad step over it,Mayo man or not.Well done to Fergal Boland.

I thought Donie Vaughan had a decent first half but I was perplexed as to why the heartbeat of our team Colm Boyle did not start,ditto Jason Doherty.
    Anyway it's on to the qualifiers and I'm not ready to write off this squad,they've proven me wrong on too many occasions.Let's all try to put it in a bit of context,we lost a top quality contest to an ever improving quality Galway team whilst a man down for a long period.We may meet again later in the summer for a rematch.

seligehgit wrote: »
    I thought Donie Vaughan had a decent first half but I was perplexed as to why the heartbeat of our team Colm Boyle did not start,ditto Jason Doherty.

I imagine vaughan was brought in with conroy and tom flynn's height in mind, with both able to operate in the half forward line.
    Agreed on doherty though, he would have offered more than coen I believe and he is good for a score or two running on the overlap - something we didnt have in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Is the draw tomorrow morning or the following Monday once the other semis have been completed?

Anyway it's on to the qualifiers and I'm not ready to write off this squad,they've proven me wrong on too many occasions.Let's all try to put it in a bit of context,we lost a top quality contest to an ever improving quality Galway team whilst a man down for a long period.We may meet again later in the summer for a rematch.

People are reacting in a very over the top way, tbh. It's disappointing to lose obviously, but it's not the end of the world. I do think the sending off had a big impact. We just couldn't press up the way we would have had Keith stayed on the pitch and link play from defence to attack was impacted too. It was very petulant for a man of Keith's experience and it left us without one of our crucial link players for the vast majority of the game.

That said, there are other issues that I mentioned before - kickouts primarily. Would also be interested to know why Boyler was benched. Was a day for him, imo.

PressRun wrote: »
    What do people think about Keegan playing number 6? I think there are better ways of using him.

What would you do with him?

Mayo certainly look like a team that needs freshening up. They don't seem to have many good enough to come in so maybe that freshening up could be changing Keegans position. Not ideal to be making radical changes mid championship. However I remember in 2001, Galway moved Tomas Mannion to number 6 after losing to Roscommon and it proved to be a catalyst for their success.

He's better bombing up the wing, imo. He used to play 5. Shackling him back in the centre is a waste. He seemed to be doing essentially another man marking job today. He should be released a bit more.

He's better bombing up the wing, imo. He used to play 5. Shackling him back in the centre is a waste. He seemed to be doing essentially another man marking job today. He should be released a bit more.

Aah ok thought you were going to suggest something more dramatic!

Aah ok thought you were going to suggest something more dramatic!

No. He is the best half back in the country and that is where he should play. But he should be given more freedom. He can kick off both feet and is a great man for getting up the pitch. He needs to be allowed to get forward a bit more and be a bit more creative. Same for Paddy Durcan.

• Advertisement

No. He is the best half back in the country and that is where he should play. But he should be given more freedom. He can kick off both feet and is a great man for getting up the pitch. He needs to be allowed to get forward a bit more and be a bit more creative. Same for Paddy Durcan.

Yeah, I agree. I would play him at 5 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Well we played 50 minutes with 14 men & still only lost by a point . Galway were alright , not sure if they've improved that much from last year . We on the other hand have gone backwards under this management team

I think Keith's red card made the pressing game more difficult and we were lacking real penetration without him. Pressing made us weak in the middle (though I didn't think Seamie and Tom were functioning all that well anyway). Keith's runs often give a lot of momentum too aned often provide a platform to get things motoring going forward.

Diarmuid had a very poor game, imo, and could have been subbed at half time. He has looked very out of sorts.

Couldn't give a flying **** what outsiders think of Cillian and his antics. Every team has at least one player who is on the edge, some have more than one.

Similarly to yourself seligehgit, I also don't feel overly downbeat. Have seen more worrying performances than that from Mayo.

Most definitely,I've seen far more below par than that what I viewed in the flesh today.Much to improve.

Totally agree with the sentiments expressed about playing Lee Keegan at number 5 and allowing him a freer role.After all he may not need to take up his man marking on his old nemesis this year.:)

The qualifiers add one additional game to the schedule and I believe a possible meeting with either Donegal,Tyrone,Monaghan or the losing Munster finalists.Nothing easy and then a probable meeting with the Kingdom in the quarters unless the rebels upset the applecart.

On Cillian,irrespective of the merits of the foul(definitely not a black card) his reaction afterwards appeared theatrical.I am mindful of the fact I have not as yet watched back the contest.He was a tad niggly today and as was always the case will never win any popularity contest with outsiders although he was as always our real go to man in the attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

John Maughan on Mid West radio just now: "no All Ireland for Mayo this year". I'd tend to agree.

100% correct, he mad an ass of himself at half time tho

100% correct, he mad an ass of himself at half time tho

Extremely foolhardy.

On Cillian,irrespective of the merits of the foul(definitely not a black card) his reaction afterwards appeared theatrical.I am mindful of the fact I have not as yet watched back the contest.He was a tad niggly today and as was always the case will never win any popularity contest with outsiders although he was as always our real go to man in the attack.

Meh. He's always niggly like that, even at club level. People want to act like butter wouldn't melt in their own players mouths, but it goes on in every county, probably in nearly every club. Like I said, every team has one and some have more than one, so no one's really in a position to get up on any high horse about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Barlett wrote: »
    Well we played 50 minutes with 14 men & still only lost by a point . Galway were alright , not sure if they've improved that much from last year . We on the other hand have gone backwards under this management team

I wouldn`t be overly impressed with some of the management decisions either, but what is really killing ye is a shortage of forward talent, other than Cillian O Connor who I hope reins it in a bit for both his own and the teams sake.
    Refs will have taken note that he made Mc Quillan look foolish today with the black card.

Strangely enough for two counties so close to each other, while ye have excellent backs and a lack of forwards, Galway is the mirror opposite.
    Although when it comes to keepers you both have a fair bit in common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PressRun wrote:

I wouldn't expect you to TBH. Like the way I wouldn't expect you to like Johnny Cooper, both are very good footballers, they both play on the edge, but there's something else to their game too.

But Cillian is not just on the edge, Keegan is on the edge imo, you can be on the edge and people can still like you, there's something respectable about it. While a very effective player I wouldn't stretch the term "on the edge" to describe Cillian "antics"

As you say many teams have these guys and he's one of Mayo's. I know that changes nothing but it does put some perspective and limitations on how someone might talk about other players from other counties, not that you engage in that stuff anyway.

It lowers the bar for your team to that level if you like it or not. Again Mayo supporters don't have a history of painting their teams as angels and that's fair enough. It's annoying when other counties do it though while ignoring their practitioners.

Stoner wrote: »
    It lowers the bar for your team to that level if you like it or not. Again Mayo supporters don't have a history of painting their teams as angels and that's fair enough. It's annoying when other counties do it though while ignoring their practitioners.

It's not within mine or any other Mayo supporter's control what people from other counties say or what they believe. Frankly, anyone who thinks that teams at the top are all innocent don't understand the game.

I've never claimed Mayo were angels and I've heard plenty of people doling out abuse to Mayo players because they're not angels while ignoring the transgressions of others. I think social media plays a part because it feeds the outrage brigade and echo chambers of people who hear that certain players are above and beyond 'bad', when what's going on at county level is no worse than what's going on in club games up and down the country week in and week out.

I'm happy enough that we have players who get stuck in and fight fire with fire. What I don't like is people launching into lectures about how Cillian O'Connor is this and Lee Keegan is that without acknowledging that those players are on every team. Many of them get picked because they play like that. Do people think that Jim Gavin likes Philly McMahon because he's all sweetness and light? No. He picks him because he has that hard edge, he bends the rules a bit and he's not going to be bullied. Every team has them, just some like to pretend they don't or that their county is above it.

Meh. He's always niggly like that, even at club level. People want to act like butter wouldn't melt in their own players mouths, but it goes on in every county, probably in nearly every club. Like I said, every team has one and some have more than one, so no one's really in a position to get up on any high horse about it.

I have condemned Cillian antics or whatever one wishes to call such niceties or nasties in the past as in my match summation above where I mentioned he crossed the line,ditto his strong arm tactics during the league game against Dublin earlier this year

Pretty much agree with Pressrun's post immediately above and your sentiments.Every team has hard men,I suppose the perception amongst some is that Cillian gets an easier ride vis a vis others,perhaps because he didn't quite fit the stereotype.I'm certainly not blinkered but more mindful of assassinating an amateur player as some sort of final arbitrator keyboard warrior style.There is more than enough willing to do same on social media inside and outside the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Guys get tagged for life though.

Higgins stuck his knee in a lads balls today, but he'll always be considered a clean enough player.

If Cillian did that there would be uproar. Some players are under the microscope, but unfortunately mostly not without cause.

Overall I thought Mayo looked off the pace today. Galway were worth the win but you'd have to think this things would be different if they met in a couple of months.

Regan won't get better though. I thought Kirby would impress when he came on with the benifit of hindsight leaving A Moran on would have been a smarter move.

The Mayo full forward line were successful when destabilising the Galway back line, that's one thing to take from the game anyway.

I didn't think SOS should have been taken off either and like others it would have been great to see AOS alongside Andy Moran in around the square. I thought AOS looked average enough and was below his normal level.

Is Barry Moran injured, it was crying out for a tall man in beside Kyne. There was a lot more scope for the Mayo lads to blow that game open, but it just didn't happen.

• Advertisement

To be fair to Keith Higgins, I've never seen him lash out like that before. I've never even seen him get a straight red for any offence.

The bits I saw of Seamus O'Shea before he went off, I felt he looked a bit out of puff early on. Aiden, I don't think he is fit. Doesn't look it anyway.

As far as I'm aware, Barry Moran has had a pretty persistent injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Down in the dumps but not as bad as some. Galway have proven themselves to be a very good team. You won't find much more in terms of real attacking threat in the County, they offer more danger than the current Dublin attack does imo.

It was a good physical game and being reduced to 14 for 50 odd minutes was a big blow.

The biggest blow for me today was that my faith in Rochford has taken a bit of a battering. This year was his year to put a mark on his team. We still don't know what that is. Seeing Aidan come on at MF and Kirby into the FF line was a sickener for me.

I'm not going to go back and find it but I had 3 wishes before the year:
    Sort out the kickouts - still a major weakness.
    FF line - Aidan & Cillian need to be in there (Andy to play his role too). With good ball they will cause problems.
    Something different in HF - Try a Keegan or Durcan in the HF line to see if it would shake things up. Keegan is wasted at 6. Someone direct to run at defences. The attack was very laboured again today for periods.

We're the same team as last year basically. Something needs to change. It's not going to come from outside so a different approach needs to come from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

I'd love to see mayo do it but they wanted to win that game today and don't have the forwards. Just lacking creativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

I'm a Galway man and enjoyed good and bad days against mayo but the o Connor lads need to stop the drama queen acts if they don't get a free. Diarmuid went banging the ground like a ****ing banshee today just like his big brother, delighted to see it ignored

Barlett wrote: »
    Well we played 50 minutes with 14 men & still only lost by a point . Galway were alright , not sure if they've improved that much from last year . We on the other hand have gone backwards under this management team[/QUOTE]

It does appear the management still have not brought clarity to many of the imponderables that require same,Aidan O Shea's role and how best to maximise the effectiveness of Lee Keegan.There is little new been brought to the party.No real resolution or sign of same with regard to David Clarke's kickouts.

Yet one can't help thinking the same management is playing with a diminished pack which is in decline.

Most worrying long term is our really poor record at underage level in recent years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Disappointing considering the chances we had to draw and/or win it. But Regan did what Regan does, A Moran should have came on for the last 5 minutes again, legs or no legs he is calm as his point before his substitution showed.
    We were poor to okay, COC aside and Boland for parts we didn't stand up again. K Higgins loss and a silly one, was a big hit, they tore us open. Midfield wasn't too bad, thought Vaughan was solid.
    Agree re AOS, can't see where he has to play, management not understanding or utilising him.

Just have to go the whole hog now and blood new players if possible. Again a Galway team at home with 14 men we should have won it is about the only positive, that said against some of the better teams we would have been blitzed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

jam83 wrote: »
    I'm a Galway man and enjoyed good and bad days against mayo but the o Connor lads need to stop the drama queen acts if they don't get a free. Diarmuid went banging the ground like a ****ing banshee today just like his big brother, delighted to see it ignored

Like Comer you mean? For a lad who likes to throw it around he is a fair old queen himself! Pounding the ground in the second half when he was on his arse on the end line....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Good level-headed discussion on the way we perceive players who play for our own counties and rivals. I definitely agree that there's something extra infuriating about COC from a non-Mayo perspective, but anyone would want him in their team. I thought the same watching the Lions on Saturday, funnily enough. Owen Farrell seemed a lot less insufferable in a red jersey :pac:

I particularly don't like the diving, but little things like making it seem as if the Galway player wouldn't give the ball back to try and get the last free moved forward are exactly what you need in games with such small margins.

elefant wrote: »
    Good level-headed discussion on the way we perceive players who play for our own counties and rivals. I definitely agree that there's something extra infuriating about COC from a non-Mayo perspective, but anyone would want him in their team. I thought the same watching the Lions on Saturday, funnily enough. Owen Farrell seemed a lot less insufferable in a red jersey :pac:

I particularly don't like the diving, but little things like making it seem as if the Galway player wouldn't give the ball back to try and get the last free moved forward are exactly what you need in games with such small margins.

Agreed, v much "my jonny can do no wrong", but in COC case he has a "something" which Mayo players have lacked and the line of Mayo players been too nice is disappearing. I'd never apologise for it either. Every team has it and need it.

Agree re Owen Farrell! :)

yop wrote: »
    Like Comer you mean? For a lad who likes to throw it around he is a fair old queen himself! Pounding the ground in the second half when he was on his arse on the end line....

And this is what I'm talking about. The O'Connors are the baddies while we're led to believe no Galway player would ever do anything like that. Gimme a break.

• Advertisement

http://twitter.com/MrNiallMcGarry/status/874187177055277058

3 lads hanging off him
    Similar to Connolly who is the only player in the country to warrant "attention" if you Listened to some pundits

Incidentally Connolly is appealing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Incidentally Connolly is appealing

A pretty select taste I'd say:P

A pretty select taste I'd say:P

:D

Right after looking at the qualifier route my optimism has returned BUT the key is to avoid Tyrone /donegal in round 3
    We will beat every other team Ian's then into a probable quarter final vs Kerry
    Better then than in the semis :D

Right after looking at the qualifier route my optimism has returned BUT the key is to avoid Tyrone /donegal in round 3
    We will beat every other team Ian's then into a probable quarter final vs Kerry
    Better then than in the semis :D

Beat who we have to beat. I think we won't avoid either of those two.
    That said the way we have played at home in the last few years even getting to the QF will be the usual heart stopping stuff.

Thought Boland had a good game yesterday, intelligent player.
    They really need to look at our shot selection though, Regans 2 mind fart attempts and P Durcan twice and a few more are just not clever shooting.

yop wrote: »
    Beat who we have to beat. I think we won't avoid either of those two.
    That said the way we have played at home in the last few years even getting to the QF will be the usual heart stopping stuff.

Thought Boland had a good game yesterday, intelligent player.
    They really need to look at our shot selection though, Regans 2 mind fart attempts and P Durcan twice and a few more are just not clever shooting.

Only one of them (the losers ) will end up on our side of the draw
    The winners and the other ulster provincial semi finalists are all on the B side of draw
    Likely round 4 opponents then are Cork
    Hardly a daunting prospect
    So basically avoid Donegal/Tyrone in round 3 and we would be heavily favoured to make quarters

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/06/11/4141459-so-whats-up-next-for-mayo-in-2017-championship-series/

We should just take it one game at a time. I wouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves. We need to first focus on picking things up again from yesterday and getting back into the right frame of mind before the next game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Same old mistakes and issues with Mayo team. 5 or 6 years to fix them and nothing done.

Why are experienced county players losing the head and getting themselves sent off in big games.

Seamus O'Shea, Lee Keegan, Keith Higgins; usually right on front of a ref or linesman. You won't win big games if you can't keep the head. Its immature.

The contrast between Galway or Dublin forwards and Mayo forwards is stark. Galway and Dublin have forwards who can score fairly freely from play, Mayo don't.

Why was Andy Moran taken off? One of our few forwards who can actually put the ball over the bar.

Mayo to come up short again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We should just take it one game at a time. I wouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves. We need to first focus on picking things up again from yesterday and getting back into the right frame of mind before the next game.

Us or the team? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

jam83 wrote: »

I'm a mayo fan and I've no time for this either! Slamming the ground with their fists - I'd give out to a child for that. I don't get too pissed with Cillian over the black card though, yes he probably got a favourable call on it but I was standing in the terrace right beside where it happened and a winced with the noise of the hit he got. He probably made a meal of it but it had to have hurt. No black card but doesn't mean he wasn't hurt from it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement