Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Green Peter

glack wrote:
    I'm a mayo fan and I've no time for this either! Slamming the ground with their fists - I'd give out to a child for that. I don't get too pissed with Cillian over the black card though, yes he probably got a favourable call on it but I was standing in the terrace right beside where it happened and a winced with the noise of the hit he got. He probably made a meal of it but it had to have hurt. No black card but doesn't mean he wasn't hurt from it.

He knew well what he was at, he nearly changed the game by deliberately cheating. Aiden o Shea did the same V Fermanagh last year. Mayo starting to remind me of ould lads playing Junior football when they realise they ain't able to keep up with the young lads and resort to being cute whores and cynical tactics.. Yesterday saw a changing of the guard and you could see it in Higgins and COCs antics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

He knew well what he was at, he nearly changed the game by deliberately cheating. Aiden o Shea did the same V Fermanagh last year. Mayo starting to remind me of ould lads playing Junior football when they realise they ain't able to keep up with the young lads and resort to being cute whores and cynical tactics.. Yesterday saw a changing of the guard and you could see it in Higgins and COCs antics

We were beaten by the better side yesterday, but this consistent singling out of O'Connor as a cheat is getting a bit tiresome.
    He was fouled yesterday, whether or not it was a black (I think it wasn't) is down to the ref. Remember, he doesn't have replays to look back on.
    Having said that, he could have easily seen red when he ploughed through the lad on the stand side.

Galway were at off the ball stuff all day. There were lads wrestling with each other's jerseys throughout the game and I saw Bradshaw twice deliberately run into a Mayo player, throw himself on the ground, and throw his arms out screaming at the ref to get a black card, leaping to his feat immediatley when it was ignored.

I thought Galway played the extra man and ref very well. He was giving soft frees both ways on the smallest touch, Galway sussed this out and went to ground getting lots of frees all over the pitch.
    We were very naiive considering how experienced we are, trying to burst through tackles and losing possession more often than going down and taking the free.
    Is that cheating by Galway, well that's the refs call.
    While I don't like to see it, I'd prefer if we were a bit more streetwise and went to ground when fouled to get the free.
    We might have been able to barge our way through Galway defence 2-3 years ago, but this team have obviously focused on strength and conditioning and are much more physical than in the past.

Good luck to Galway until we meet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

I'm not saying it's right and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone defending Higgins - disgraceful behaviour!!! I don't like the way Cillian goes on either, he should let his football do the talking. Having said that, most teams have a few players who play on the edge and Cillian is certainly one. He's far from innocent and can be down right petulant at times. But at the end of the day, our opponents do it to us and if the refs are going to be sold on it, its a case of if you can't beat them, join them. I'd much rather the ref didn't give that black yesterday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Id like to actually take you serious but looking at your posts below, you just troll the forum. So flitter yourself for a while anyway, I'm sure its enjoyable! :D:D

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=772004&forum=269&sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=%2A%3A%2A&page=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

The team selection was conservative and fair to say reflects Rochfords thinking 're Galway. They had a big diamond in O'Donnell, Flynn, O'Curraoin and Conroy. They are tall lads and even in the line up they stood out.

The inclusion of Vaughan was to add ballast to the midfield area where we were outsized! This came at the expense of Boyle. Even before the sending off we were up against it on this area. Donie faded in second half and here again Rochford wasn't prepared to concede size in the middle for scoring prowess. This was possibly an oversight or a reflection of his conservative apprpach.

Similarly with Boyle swapped for Vaughan, Keegan had to sure up the centre and he clearly had to hold this area and try to contain Paul Conroy.

I can understand this approach, playing away from home and in a wind swept salthill. It wasn't a day to let loose and Galway did defend with 13 players at times, leaving Comer and Armstrong up front.

I actually liked the fact that we had 5 forwards on the scoresheet. With some cracking scores from play a la Diarmuid, Cillian, Fergal and Andy. They were given license to try long range efforts with the wind. This worked reasonably well and Regan was no different than Diarmuid or Cillian with his attempts. However, Galway probably were more successful from long range with the wind.

Mayo's emphasis has been on reducing turnovers from kickouts, play and frees. It is a reflection on the game and defence set ups to win back the ball and hold onto it at all costs. It's conservative all the same and lucky it's not completely in the mould of Ulster football!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jasonroche123

I left salthill hugely dispapointed yesterday, the sending off was a disaster for us but We need to change plan, I would love to see A full forward Line of O shea at 14, and Moran and Cillian O Connor. Performances overall varied - Not sure what people like about Boland doesn't do enough for me and as for D O Connor he can be better- We need far more leaders, We surely have better forwards than those who started - Reality is we are a million miles off Kerry or Dublin atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Gave it a day to let the game sink in a bit. My take: Clarke was good, solid under balls that dropped short, made one great save second half on a one on one, caught with a couple of kickouts but overall pleased with Clarke.

Caff suffered versus Comer, although with the power and physicality of Comer it was probably likely to happen. Not sure if I'd fault Caff too much. Impressed with Barrett, as for Higgins there isn't much I can say, he'll know it was stupid and ultimately I'm not sure anyone can deny that his moment of madness cost Mayo the game.

Half backs didn't seem to be the driving force they usually are, Keegan seemed to sit a bit more than we would like, though all were solid defensively IMO. I have to say, we only conceded one goal chance with 14 men and that is a positive, we did well defensively.

With regards to the forwards and attacking play, when I look back I think of a few sliced shots from McLoughlin and Durcan, Cillian hitting the bar and post, Kirby goal chance after Lavelle gave him a gilt edged chance late in the game. We had plenty of opportunity to win the game. Diarmuid was disappointing, really struggled to impact the game and get away from Silke who is an absolutely fantastic man marker who has had joy on Diarmuid Connolly among others in the past.

It felt like we lacked attacking options other than Cillian who played well IMO. Overall it's never a good day when you lose to Galway in championship football, but considering we went down to 14 I was happy we didn't take a comfortable beating, there was heart and fight there which is synonymous with this group of players and I still think we'll be competitive in this year's championship.

Special mention to Aidan O'Shea, thought he turned the tide of the game when he was introduced, we were on the front foot after he came on. We need to get him in the starting 15.

Best of luck to Galway in the final, despite Mayo losing its good to have a competitive contest between these two counties again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

The better (and cuter) team won on the day. Disappointing performance and result from us. What was said/done for Keith to react like that? It sure is not his style and was disappointed to see it happen.

Later than usual (due to drowning me sorrows and lubricating me sore throat) got some photos up earlier.

https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/mayo-gaa-photos-2017/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I've seen about 4 different versions of the qualifier groupings at this stage !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Green Peter

yop wrote:
    Id like to actually take you serious but looking at your posts below, you just troll the forum. So flitter yourself for a while anyway, I'm sure its enjoyable!

Good man YOP, pity you couldn't respond with something constructive or intelligent, I guess having a different opinion to a mayo moderator in the Mayo forum is not good but all it shows is your inability to be a moderator, best of luck to Mayo in the qualifiers but cut out the childish antics on the pitch and as moderators!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Good man YOP, pity you couldn't respond with something constructive or intelligent, I guess having a different opinion to a mayo moderator in the Mayo forum is not good but all it shows is your inability to be a moderator, best of luck to Mayo in the qualifiers but cut out the childish antics on the pitch and as moderators!!

He's not a mod here in the GAA forum he's just a regular run of the mill bastxxd like the rest of us. So what he says here has nothing to do with being a Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

yop wrote: »
    Like Comer you mean? For a lad who likes to throw it around he is a fair old queen himself! Pounding the ground in the second half when he was on his arse on the end line....

Ah look it seems to be a family trait with the o connors. Cillian especially. Sure frustration can lead to a lad doing it the odd time. Didn't diarmuid waste a second or 2 banging the ground when his colleague was bearing down on goal, to start the goalmouth scramble?
    Cillian is always at it, in the refs ear, feigning injury after running into Flynn which ridiculously led to the black card, basically the kind of carry on that has people on notice now and I think will lead to refs watching him and potentially lead to him getting the line in a big game, or a suspension over some stupid off the ball stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

We were beaten by the better side yesterday, but this consistent singling out of O'Connor as a cheat is getting a bit tiresome.
    He was fouled yesterday, whether or not it was a black (I think it wasn't) is down to the ref. Remember, he doesn't have replays to look back on.
    Having said that, he could have easily seen red when he ploughed through the lad on the stand side.

Galway were at off the ball stuff all day. There were lads wrestling with each other's jerseys throughout the game and I saw Bradshaw twice deliberately run into a Mayo player, throw himself on the ground, and throw his arms out screaming at the ref to get a black card, leaping to his feat immediatley when it was ignored.

I thought Galway played the extra man and ref very well. He was giving soft frees both ways on the smallest touch, Galway sussed this out and went to ground getting lots of frees all over the pitch.

And you wonder why people dislike mayo. The innocent angels of Gaelic football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

km79 wrote: »
    I've seen about 4 different versions of the qualifier groupings at this stage !

Possible 2nd Round opponents
    Louth or Longford
    Laois or Wicklow
    Waterford or Derry
    Antrim or Sligo

Possible 3rd Round opponents
    Three of the above plus
    Kildare
    Meath
    Clare
    Donegal
    Tyrone

Possible 4th Round opponents
    Galway
    Roscommon
    Kerry
    Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Possible 2nd Round opponents
    Louth or Longford
    Laois or Wicklow
    Waterford or Derry
    Antrim or Sligo

Possible 3rd Round opponents
    Three of the above plus
    Kildare
    Meath
    Clare
    Donegal
    Tyrone

Possible 4th Round opponents
    Galway
    Roscommon
    Kerry
    Cork

Will walk through round 2.

Round 3 could be tricky though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mezzogiorno

no offence but mayo were some joke yesterday,

sending out a few pensioners again a galway team of 20 yr olds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

To risk a ban or not to risk a ban.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

We were very naiive considering how experienced we are, trying to burst through tackles and losing possession more often than going down and taking the free.
    Is that cheating by Galway, well that's the refs call.

Which of the 5 frees Galway scored yesterday were not stonewall frees? Ive watched the game again. You could make a tiny case for the first scoring free and half a case for the Heaney free out after the goalmouth scramble. Little to nothing else. The only scoring free given all game that wasn't correct was Cillian running into Tom Flynn and getting him black carded and the tap over point to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Which of the 5 frees Galway scored yesterday were not stonewall frees? Ive watched the game again. You could make a tiny case for the first scoring free and half a case for the Heaney free out after the goalmouth scramble. Little to nothing else. The only scoring free given all game that wasn't correct was Cillian running into Tom Flynn and getting him black carded and the tap over point to follow
    While I completely agree that it wasn't a black card it was a free. He was impeded in a scoring area. I was standing right beside it so had a perfect view. Even the Galway fans beside me read it that way. A free yes, but not a black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hulk Hands wrote: »

The most blatant free not given all day was the one on Danny Cummins in injury time. Dragged down from behind bearing down on goal and McQuillan waves play on.

At that stage I think McQuillan was in full let's make a draw out of this mode though.

The most blatant free not given all day was the one on Danny Cummins in injury time. Dragged down from behind bearing down on goal and McQuillan waves play on.

At that stage I think McQuillan was in full let's make a draw out of this mode though.

Dont think that was a free. I did at the time but after watching it back, Cummins lost control of the ball.

Jesus no way that was a free. There was a lot the referee got wrong for both sides but that wasn't one

Jesus no way that was a free. There was a lot the referee got wrong for both sides but that wasn't one

I don't know why Heaney got a free out after saving the goal either ......

I don't know why Heaney got a free out after saving the goal either ......

That should have been a free in alright.

And I think Comer should have had a free in during the second half.

Overall, thought McQuillan did well.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It wasn't a free. Not even a blatant one!

Ooppps, epic fail..... watch the stains!

That should have been a free in alright.

And I think Comer should have had a free in during the second half.

Overall, thought McQuillan did well.

Should have been a free in even before Kirby got the ball.

Regardless, we didn't chances we had and ye did.

Walsh is a fabulous striker of a ball and into the wind hit top class frees

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

That was an incredible turnover from Durcan. Made up some ground on Cummins & dislodged the ball with a great tackle. What came after - not do great

• Advertisement

If we get as far as the semi final there is a great chance it could be Galway or Roscommon.

If we get as far as the semi final there is a great chance it could be Galway or Roscommon.

Same as last year, it would have been Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That was an incredible turnover from Durcan. Made up some ground on Cummins & dislodged the ball with a great tackle. What came after - not do great

Was that not Parsons? Just ran alongside and literally took the ball from out of his hands.

yop wrote:
    Same as last year, it would have been Galway.

Yeah I'm expecting it to be Galway as "Croker suits them" and "Galway play well in the wide open spaces of Croker" 😛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

PARlance wrote: »
    Was that not Parsons? Just ran alongside and literally took the ball from out of his hands.

That was on Lundy.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

Yeah I'm expecting it to be Galway as "Croker suits them" and "Galway play well in the wide open spaces of Croker" 😛

That line is peddled outside of Galway as much as anywhere else.

I'd say it's based on having nice teams that played attractive football and also won all Ireland's in the last 66 years!

Mayo have damn all really to gloat about when they can't win an all Ireland final up in croke park for love nor money.
    Win an all ireland and then there might be some level of justification for taking the mick out of galways performances up there from 2001 till this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

statto25 wrote: »
    To risk a ban or not to risk a ban.......

Gwannnn take one for the team :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

An interesting point is that the Galway goalie was out on the pitch warming up an hour before play was due to start. Part of the warm up was a number of central "over the bar" kick attempts from the 45. It was obvious he was sussing out the wind impact down at the big screen end, ie against the wind.

Clearly the shape of the terrace there and wind speed and direction are of consequence. Most noticeable was a number of high balls went dead in front of the goal and just dropped out of the sky in a very odd fashion. Low kicks went over and seemed to be the order of the day. A slightest of advantages, but it's all about slight advantages at this level.

They occupied that end and the rest of the team joined them there with mayo warming up the far end.

Moral of the story, study and know your opponents stadiums' foibles.

Another heart rendering day, down but not out and the back door did us the world of good last year, so I'm now hoping for the same again this year.

My cousin, a Galway supporter, thought mayo were very dirty in play. I thought the same of Galway. It seems we all wear rose tinted spectacles :);)

I do hope we meet them again later this year, that will indeed be a spectacle.

jam83 wrote:
    Mayo have damn all really to gloat about when they can't win an all Ireland final up in croke park for love nor money. Win an all ireland and then there might be some level of justification for taking the mick out of galways performances up there from 2001 till this year.

Didn't see anyone gloating about Mayo, just stated the well repeated fact that Galway play well in Croke Park, which I'll back up with the statistic that they haven't won a championship game there since 2001, they've played well though!

Oldtree wrote: »
    Gwannnn take one for the team :)

Ara the Green and Red mist is gone off me now :p

Just listened to the Mayo News Podcast.

I know it was recorded in the wake of the game but they should really have known that Mayo cannot meet Tyrone or Donegal in the 2nd round of the qualifiers, it was mentioned at least twice that they could.

• Advertisement

Just listened to the Mayo News Podcast.

I know it was recorded in the wake of the game but they should really have known that Mayo cannot meet Tyrone or Donegal in the 2nd round of the qualifiers, it was mentioned at least twice that they could.

I assume they meant mayos second round of qualifiers .i.e the second game if there is one !

I assume they meant mayos second round of qualifiers .i.e the second game if there is one !

Well their first ​statement about it as very much the fear of getting Donegal or Tyrone straight away in the 2nd round.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Round 2A - Fixtures on July 1 (Draw on June 19)
    Pot 1: Four Round 1A winners
    Pot 2: Mayo, Meath/Kildare, Clare, Tyrone/Donegal
    A separate draw shall be made for home advantage. Where two teams who have already met in a provincial championship of the current year are drawn to meet, the winner of the provincial championship game shall have home advantage.

Round 2A - Fixtures on July 1 (Draw on June 19)
    Pot 1: Four Round 1A winners
    Pot 2: Mayo, Meath/Kildare, Clare, Tyrone/Donegal
    A separate draw shall be made for home advantage. Where two teams who have already met in a provincial championship of the current year are drawn to meet, the winner of the provincial championship game shall have home advantage.

And if then keep winning round 3 is on the 8th, round 4 22nd and QF the 29th/30th (which is not the bank holiday by the way)

So that's a potential 4 games in 5 weekends.

What does not kill you will make you stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

And if then keep winning round 3 is on the 8th, round 4 22nd and QF the 29th/30th (which is not the bank holiday by the way)

So that's a potential 4 games in 5 weekends.

What does not kill you will make you stronger.
    Or as another worn out cliche would say, it's the hope that kills you.

Derry, Laois, Longford or Sligo in the pot on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Didn't see anyone gloating about Mayo, just stated the well repeated fact that Galway play well in Croke Park, which I'll back up with the statistic that they haven't won a championship game there since 2001, they've played well though!

I'd say the hunger went off Galway a bit after the two all irelands !!!!

None of which should cause much drama for Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

None of which should cause much drama for Mayo.

Longford at best, they can get a run on you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Can Mayo meet Sligo, again? With all the changes over the past 6/7 yrs I'm lost:D.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement