Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Can Mayo meet Sligo, again? With all the changes over the past 6/7 yrs I'm lost:D.

If we do draw Sligo, we'll get home advantage as we've already beaten them in the Connacht Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If we do draw Sligo, we'll get home advantage as we've already beaten them in the Connacht Championship.

That dose'nt sound right. Could'nt Sligo be deemed a "weak" team & be given home advantage? Worst case scenario for me would be to get Derry away.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

That dose'nt sound right. Could'nt Sligo be deemed a "weak" team & be given home advantage? Worst case scenario for me would be to get Derry away.

DCODs3NXgAA5Hwz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Stoner wrote: »
    Longford at best, they can get a run on you

They are not going that well the past few years, but if ye get them away and they get the bit between their teeth, I`d be more wary of Derry than Longford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'm not as worried about meeting donegal in round 3 now ........in fact looking at dublins side of draw in happier with ours
    Much happier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Anyone know what the story is with Leeroy? Apparently he picked up an injury in a club match over the weekend?

Didn't make it to any of the club matches this weekend. Though, it looks like Neil Douglas had a great game for Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

charlie14 wrote: »
    They are not going that well the past few years, but if ye get them away and they get the bit between their teeth, I`d be more wary of Derry than Longford.

Yes Derry away is a potential banana skin. Didn't they put us to the sword in a previous life,a qualifier up in Celtic Park where Barry Moran was played at full forward?

Admittedly Donegal were very disappointing today but they're capable of a lot better.Definitely an off day in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yes Derry away is a potential banana skin. Didn't they put us to the sword in a previous life,a qualifier up in Celtic Park where Barry Moran was played at full forward?

Admittedly Donegal were very disappointing today but they're capable of a lot better.Definitely an off day in my opinion.

Under Rory Gallagher every championship day is an off day.
    Tactically him and Curran are so inept it is practically laughable.
    Senior player must be sick and tired off them both and their excuses at this stage especially after what they were used too after McGuinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

What time is the draw?

• Advertisement

What time is the draw?

835 radio 1

Mayo at home to Derry.

Home To Derry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Meath v Sligo
    Mayo v Derry
    Laois v Clare
    Donegal v Longford

Best possible draw imo
    Home against a team that will require focus

Dangerous opponents but if we're going to going to go anyhow this year as Father Tod oft mentions we should be too good for Derry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

O'Shea was playing for breaffy yesterday was playing midfield then moved in to full forward got cleaned there as well he is way over weight or the head is gone, iam thinking the excuse of him being injured for not starting is a load of sh1te.
    He's not starting cos he's not doing it in training

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

naughto wrote: »
    O'Shea was playing for breaffy yesterday was playing midfield then moved in to full forward got cleaned there as well he is way over weight or the head is gone, iam thinking the excuse of him being injured for not starting is a load of sh1te.
    He's not starting cos he's not doing it in training

Something does seem to be up with him. Comparing Michael Murphy and Sean Cavanagh yesterday and I'm afraid he couldn't lace their shoes.
    Bags of potential but the other side of me thinks that Rochford hasn't utilised that either and he is flip flopping from one position to another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭jeffred

Meath v Sligo
    Mayo v Derry
    Laois v Clare
    Donegal v Longford

Is home or away decided - seems strange that all the losing semi-finalists have home advantage. Was home/away not decided by a separate draw. Both rte.ie and gaa.ie are saying we are at home so it could be correct.

jeffred wrote: »
    Is home or away decided - seems strange that all the losing semi-finalists have home advantage. Was home/away not decided by a separate draw. Both rte.ie and gaa.ie are saying we are at home so it could be correct.

It was drawn this morning live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭jeffred

From the gaa website http://www.gaa.ie/football/news/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship-qualifiers/

A separate draw shall be made for home advantage. Where two teams who have already met in a provincial championship of the current year are drawn to meet, the winner of the provincial championship game shall have home advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

From the gaa website http://www.gaa.ie/football/news/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship-qualifiers/

A separate draw shall be made for home advantage. Where two teams who have already met in a provincial championship of the current year are drawn to meet, the winner of the provincial championship game shall have home advantage.

That was also done this morning. Laois were knocked out before Semis in Leinster so not all beaten semi-finalists got home draws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

statto25 wrote: »
    That was also done this morning. Laois were knocked out before Semis in Leinster so not all beaten semi-finalists got home draws

i thought they made a mistake too. they said the first drawn team would have home advantage. buy if you have 2 pots , how is that fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

They drew a ball from each bowl to get the pairings, then prior to opening them, put them in another bowl, after which they mixed and drew first out at home.

Would be much easier to have a live stream of it so people can follow, but that's how i understood it.

They drew a ball from each bowl to get the pairings, then prior to opening them, put them in another bowl, after which they mixed and drew first out at home.

Would be much easier to have a live stream of it so people can follow, but that's how i understood it.

They did mention they had a live stream of it but cant recall where you could watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Were people honestly expecting something straightforward from the GAA?

irishgeo wrote: »
    i thought they made a mistake too. they said the first drawn team would have home advantage. buy if you have 2 pots , how is that fair.

They had 3 bowls
    1 containing round 1 winners
    1 containing beaten semi finalists

1 from each bowl was placed in 3rd bowl unopened
    First team drawn from bowl 3 had home advantage

Thought it was fairly straightforward myself

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

km79 wrote: »
    They had 3 bowls
    1 containing round 1 winners
    1 containing beaten semi finalists

1 from each bowl was placed in 3rd bowl unopened
    First team drawn from bowl 3 had home advantage

Thought it was fairly straightforward myself

It does seem clear, but it has to be said its odd... we are only the conspiracy boys! :)

Good tough draw, though playing at home scares the bayjaysus out of me. We seem v seem very poor there at the moment.

Hmmm. Could be a tricky enough match, tbh. Home advantage doesn't even inspire confidence, given recent form there.

Fixed for Sat 1st according to Mayo snapchat account. No time yet

statto25 wrote: »
    Fixed for Sat 1st according to Mayo snapchat account. No time yet

Last yr they there @5 and 7 if I remember correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I'm hearing match is at 7 and will be live on sky (sports 5 I presume?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Neil Douglas and Liam Irwin flying off today to play in New York.

I don't think Douglas was ever going to break into a starting team but I do think he was worth one last chance over a summer and with a full team alongside him. He's not the type to shine in the muck of the FBD.

PARlance wrote: »
    Neil Douglas and Liam Irwin flying off today to play in New York.

I don't think Douglas was ever going to break into a starting team but I do think he was worth one last chance over a summer and with a full team alongside him. He's not the type to shine in the muck of the FBD.

Douglas should have been kept on the full panel, I'm all for sentimentality but Alan Dillion isn't going to improve with age and is only taking up a spot for a younger player.

Looking at Donegal and Cork yesterday and then looking at our reluctance to bring in youth. Cork won minor and U21 AI and now they are the basis of the team. Donegal got handed their arses but at least them players will have learnt.
    We have a serious fear of introducing youth and giving them their heads. Akram is only one who comes to mind, has to be given game time.

The top scorer in the club championship and he never really got a look in. I think Neil probably deserved to get a better chance than he got, but so be it.

Liam Irwin is a different situation, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

yop wrote: »
    Douglas should have been kept on the full panel, I'm all for sentimentality but Alan Dillion isn't going to improve with age and is only taking up a spot for a younger player.

Looking at Donegal and Cork yesterday and then looking at our reluctance to bring in youth. Cork won minor and U21 AI and now they are the basis of the team. Donegal got handed their arses but at least them players will have learnt.
    We have a serious fear of introducing youth and giving them their heads. Akram is only one who comes to mind, has to be given game time.

Is Akram on the senior panel?

cocoman wrote: »
    Is Akram on the senior panel?

I THINK he is on the extended panel, but I don't see him on the full panel.
    Looking at Cork yesterday with a 19 yr old in the centre and then Coleman at left half having a stunning game, also 19.

Maybe we dont have them, but if we have won AI minor and U21 with the same bunch of players then they have to be good enough to get a proper run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

yop wrote: »

I think we've done ok from that U21 team. O'Connor, Coen, Boland & Loftus isn't a bad return. Hall had all last year in the Senior Panel (also gone to NY I think). Ruane has been hampered by injury, still think he has something to offer if he keeps with it. I think O'Donoghue is on the development panel?

Akram is one that I thought was ready for a step-up but doesn't seem to have been given a good look.

Irwin was probably the big hope in terms of being a scoring forward but I think it's common knowledge that the head wasn't where it needed to be.

Cork and Donegal weren't a few points away from an All Ireland last year. Sometimes youth is the best option but I don't think it would have been wise to throw 5-6 of them into the starting 15. Not this year anyway.

I think the main disappointment with the U21's is that there hasn't been a player that has come in and really added something special / difference from last year. That's a big ask though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Looking like Sligo will have to replay their match with Antrim, extra sub used

Akram is still quite young. Only 19 or 20 I think, so there's still plenty of time for him to come on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Looking like Sligo will have to replay their match with Antrim, extra sub used

Was recorded as a blood sub and you can use any amount of same as well as your max 6 standard subs

If a blood sub stays on is that classified as a normal sub

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MB1970

Why is a place on the panel being held for Barry Moran who hasn't played so far this year? If Rochford was at the Crossmolina Ballina game at the weekend I hope he got a number for Ciaran Tracey he had a brilliant game way ahead of Loftus and Regan who are on the panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

naughto wrote: »
    If a blood sub stays on is that classified as a normal sub

You see, this is the issue. There is not enough clarity on this.

Not sure about that detail tbh. I do know it is deemed a temporary sub but what happens if the player has to stay sidelined after further assessment of his injury and the 6 subs are already used?
    Their is vague clarification on this.

I think it should be at the hands of the referee/!assistant ref to keep in touch with this rather than a team themselves as they can only go by the rule itself. How temporary? If you have used your 6 subs already do you go down to 14 men. Who keeps the time limit?

AFAIK this hasn't been addressed so it is perfectly reasonable that Sligo didn't approach the ref to ask him for clarity.

Refs should enforce rules, at this level, it shouldn't be up to coaches to have a rulebook at hand on sideline to assess things as they go along

I think, when writing the rule, they brushed over incidents where standard 6 subs had already been used.

There was a good bit of analysis regarding this "time limit " aspect a couple of years back re Mayo/Kerry. So it is odd that it still hasn't been clarified. That was a game when Mayo's 6 "optional subs" had not been used before the blood sub, but as well as the blood sub (Regan couldn't continue after assessing his blood injury so Conroy stayed on), Mayo went on to use the further "optional 6 subs"

A time limit and a referee interaction with the bench is the best approach.

MB1970 wrote: »
    Why is a place on the panel being held for Barry Moran who hasn't played so far this year? If Rochford was at the Crossmolina Ballina game at the weekend I hope he got a number for Ciaran Tracey he had a brilliant game way ahead of Loftus and Regan who are on the panel.

There is a big step up from club to county iam not saying that Tracey is not fit for county.
    Same with Mitchell's some top club players but fail at county or are just average when up against the best

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard anything regarding AOS injury? Have heard conflicting reports on the prognosis.

Throw in is at 5 PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

yop wrote:
    Looking at Donegal and Cork yesterday and then looking at our reluctance to bring in youth. Cork won minor and U21 AI and now they are the basis of the team. Donegal got handed their arses but at least them players will have learnt. We have a serious fear of introducing youth and giving them their heads. Akram is only one who comes to mind, has to be given game time.

Yop I agree with you a lot but not this time! There are no positives to getting whupped in Championship, no matter how many young players get experience

Yop I agree with you a lot but not this time! There are no positives to getting whupped in Championship, no matter how many young players get experience

Definitely didnt mean get beaten, what I meant was that we have a big reluctance to trust the youth.
    Maybe I have a skewed perspective, but these lads have AI medals in their pockets and last years U21 games saw some of the most impressive displays from lads in the red and green.

I could just be over heating with the sun! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TommyDe

There is a serious confidence issue with mayo forwards at present.

Personally I think we need to start 2 new inside forwards regan/loftus for the rest of the championship to build them up.

Mcloughlin/D O'connor on the wings and be bold and put keegan in centre half forward with coen as centre back. Keegan would be able to switch to midfield too if needs be.
    AOS to come on or start at full forward.
    There is a lot more variety here as players can be moved around easier.

I like Rochford and his way of thinking. He just needs to improve the forward line to get more out of them as sometimes I feel our forwards can be thinking too defensively at key moments (DOC recent goalmouth miss being a prime example) rather than have that killer instinct.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement