Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

TommyDe wrote:
    Personally I think we need to start 2 new inside forwards regan/loftus for the rest of the championship to build them up.

Agreed, heard Loftus was very poor in club championship at the weekend though, of course that could be for any reason and you wouldn't be judging on that completely. He's one of the guys that we do need to step up in the next 1-2 years and be a Paul Mannion (Dublin) like figure for Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

TommyDe wrote:
    Mcloughlin/D O'connor on the wings and be bold and put keegan in centre half forward with coen as centre back. Keegan would be able to switch to midfield too if needs be. AOS to come on or start at full forward. There is a lot more variety here as players can be moved around easier.

DOC is in danger of going down the Shane Walsh route, exceptional talent but very inconsistent. I feel like I'm being so harsh saying that though as he's young and being young naturally brings inconsistency in a sportsperson in a pressure situation.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

DOC is in danger of going down the Shane Walsh route, exceptional talent but very inconsistent. I feel like I'm being so harsh saying that though as he's young and being young naturally brings inconsistency in a sportsperson in a pressure situation.

Injury and maybe too much game time could be causing it. Hard to gauge but he isn't the same DOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Green Peter

He'll never have the talent Shane Walsh has, no comparison!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

He has sorry, but unless you've been buried in a hole.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diarmuid_O%27Connor

Note back to back young player of the year, AI winner at minor and U21, MOM of the match in the U21 semi and AI final.

Based on your previous post I expect the same response

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

yop wrote: »
    He has sorry, but unless you've been buried in a hole.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diarmuid_O%27Connor

Note back to back young player of the year, AI winner at minor and U21, MOM of the match in the U21 semi and AI final.

Based on your previous post I expect the same response

The lad has obviously got a lot of talent and a lot of experience but what the hell has happened to him in the last two years ?
    He is a pale shadow of the footballer he was.

charlie14 wrote: »
    The lad has obviously got a lot of talent and a lot of experience but what the hell has happened to him in the last two years ?
    He is a pale shadow of the footballer he was.

The injury he sustained has labored his performances since. He was outstanding in the U21 series and was voted U21 player of the year.
    He looks tired, but outside of the injury he has not got any rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Ah now Peter I don't no what your drinking but it must be Turing you green.
    Doc is miles ahead of what Walshe was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Thank goodness..... unreserved seating :D
    GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship Qualifiers, Round 2A - July 1st 2017

A Chara,

Your County will once again take to the field in the GAA Championship on Saturday July 1st. "Pay & Play" is in operation for this fixture so please ensure that the credit / debit card details on your account are up to date so that payment can be processed.

PAY & PLAY

We will be processing payments on Monday June 26th. The pricing is as follows:

Adult - €10 (€5 discount included)
    Juvenile (U16) - €5

Please note that your Season Ticket will not be valid for this fixture if the payment cannot be processed.

To update your card details please log into your Account.

OPT-OUT

If you wish to use your "Opt Out" for this fixture this must also be done via your Season Ticket account.

The "Opt Out" option is non-reversible and is available until midnight on Sunday June 25th.

Once payments have been processed you will simply be required to present your GAA Season Ticket card at the designated turnstiles on the day. Unreserved seating will be in operation

Le meas,

GAA Ticket Office

Oldtree wrote: »
    Thank goodness..... unreserved seating :D

Mighty, I can bring the 2 juniors with me :)

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me if the bring a friend option will be available with the season ticket for match.

Can anyone tell me if the bring a friend option will be available with the season ticket for match.

Id be surprised if it wasnt tbh, it was for the qualifiers and QF last year.

Id be surprised if it wasnt tbh, it was for the qualifiers and QF last year.

Thanks Yop, do you know if will it be stand ticket for the friend?

Thanks Yop, do you know if will it be stand ticket for the friend?

You MAY get kicked to the sideline.
    In croker, if you went with your own ST you'd get a decent seat, when I did the BAF I got pushed to the sides on 1 occassion and to the upper stand on the 2nd occassion.
    So if ST holders already book out McHale park stand then if u bring a friend they may give a sideline ticket then.

I think thats what might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

TommyDe wrote: »
    There is a serious confidence issue with mayo forwards at present.

Personally I think we need to start 2 new inside forwards regan/loftus for the rest of the championship to build them up.

Mcloughlin/D O'connor on the wings and be bold and put keegan in centre half forward with coen as centre back. Keegan would be able to switch to midfield too if needs be.
    AOS to come on or start at full forward.
    There is a lot more variety here as players can be moved around easier.

I like Rochford and his way of thinking. He just needs to improve the forward line to get more out of them as sometimes I feel our forwards can be thinking too defensively at key moments (DOC recent goalmouth miss being a prime example) rather than have that killer instinct.

No room for Cillian in your team?

The injury he sustained has labored his performances since. He was outstanding in the U21 series and was voted U21 player of the year.
    He looks tired, but outside of the injury he has not got any rest.

I can see that perhaps it is due to his injury, in which case I would question team doctor physio and management of any team that is playing him if his injury is still a problem, but the tiredness I don`t really get.
    It`s not as if there aren`t loads of players with the same schedule. Some in fact with even heavier when you consider work, travel and family commitments etc.
    Could it possible be that the step up from under 21 to senior in both training and senior inter-county matches is the problem ?

The hits in both at senior level can be debilitating and no help to a player`s confidence off one off whom so much is expected.
    Football wise the lad just seems on a downward spiral for quite some time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I can see that perhaps it is due to his injury, in which case I would question team doctor physio and management of any team that is playing him if his injury is still a problem, but the tiredness I don`t really get.
    It`s not as if there aren`t loads of players with the same schedule. Some in fact with even heavier when you consider work, travel and family commitments etc.
    Could it possible be that the step up from under 21 to senior in both training and senior inter-county matches is the problem ?

The hits in both at senior level can be debilitating and no help to a player`s confidence off one off whom so much is expected.
    Football wise the lad just seems on a downward spiral for quite some time now.

It's not even 12 months since the Kildare game
    That's hardly a downward spiral ?
    He has played a lot of that time injured and Or out of position
    Lack of confidence now perhaps
    Class is permanent
    He is class
    And young
    He is the least of Mayos worries!

km79 wrote: »
    It's not even 12 months since the Kildare game
    That's hardly a downward spiral ?
    He has played a lot of that time injured and Or out of position
    Lack of confidence now perhaps
    Class is permanent
    He is class
    And young
    He is the least of Mayos worries!

Then he certainly should not have been played carrying an injury if that is the case.
    Being young and having class is one thing, but if a players confidence takes a serious dip, as his appears to have, it is not that easy to get it back.

Then he certainly should not have been played carrying an injury if that is the case.
    Being young and having class is one thing, but if a players confidence takes a serious dip, as his appears to have, it is not that easy to get it back.

Yeah he was very labored after the Kildare game and really was not right for rest of year but we are just so short of forwards and he is so good.........
    I agree with a lot of what you say tbh
    There is a slight worry in there for me BUT I think himself and his brother are very resilient mentally and physically
    There was a similar worry around cillian for s few years

One thin is certain for me
    If mayo are to win the AI we need diarmuid back to his best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

What is Diarmuids best position? His versatility is excellent and perhaps may be his weakness as he's hasn't really focussed on one position exclusively over the last 2 years.

Centre forward would seem to fit and he did alright there agin Galway. He did start second half at mid field as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

He played half back for Ballintubber last weekend and had a decent game, so I'm told.

Also, don't think the prognosis for Aidan O'Shea's injury is too good. Not improving as quickly as you'd like, apparently. Struggled for Breaffy at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

finisklin wrote: »
    What is Diarmuids best position? His versatility is excellent and perhaps may be his weakness as he's hasn't really focussed on one position exclusively over the last 2 years.

Centre forward would seem to fit and he did alright there agin Galway. He did start second half at mid field as well.

He seemed to spend some time against Galway hugging the sideline instead of staying central. His role at wing forward last year seen him gathering kickouts on his own half back line. He needs to be able to express himself. He's fast and dangerous and can cause consternation in defences when he runs at them. Remember his goal against Kildare last year....thats the Diarmuid we need. Following that game he just seem to go into a more restricted role. Play him at 11 and let him at it.

PressRun wrote: »
    Also, don't think the prognosis for Aidan O'Shea's injury is too good. Not improving as quickly as you'd like, apparently. Struggled for Breaffy at the weekend.

It's not the injury that's holding him back is what is coming from the breaffy camp if he was injured there's no way they would play him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

THREE Mayo players - Lee Keegan, Ger Cafferkey and Aidan O'Shea - are very much on the doubtful list ahead of their All-Ireland qualifier against Derry which is down for decision in Elverys MacHale Park, Castlebar, on Saturday evening, July 1, at 5 p.m. 2016 Footballer of the Year, Lee Keegan, picked up a hip injury when assisting his club, Westport, in their Mayo senior championship second round game last weekend. Keegan clashed with Charlestown's Jack Reilly towards the end of the game and as a result in now in a race against time to be fit for the Derry game. Full-back Ger Cafferkey also picked up an injury while playing for his club Ballina in their senior championship encounter with Crossmolina. Like Keegan, it is going to be touch and go for him in terms of being fit to start against Derry. There are also concerns regarding the fitness of Aidan O'Shea. While the Breaffy man did play for his club against Hollymount/Carramore in their club championship game last weekend, he still is struggling with a groin injury he picked up a number of weeks ago and left him unable to start the semi-final game against Galway. While he did come on in the second-half, it was noticeable, as it was in the club championship game last weekend, that he was not 100 per cent fit. The Connaught Telegraph was informed this evening by a spokesperson for the team that a decision on all three will not to be made until shortly before the Derry game. Should the three be unable to play it would leave Mayo very stretched at the back, especially as Keith Higgins is ruled out of this game after picking up a one-match ban for his sending off in the provincial semi-final. The only bit of good news coming from the Mayo camp is that Castlebar Mitchels ace Barry Moran is back in training. Moran took a full part in last Tuesday evenings session. Up to that Moran has been unable to play for his club or county since the Connaught club semi-final against Corofin last November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So missing the following from the full back line, Harrison, Keane, Cafferkey and Higgins.

That leaves Barrett.

Probably not name a full back as they did last year, let McLoughlin sweep and put Durkan in the corner.

Then a half back line without Keegan, and Durkan if he goes into the corner.
    So you might try Coen, Boyle and Vaughan.

Very patched up looking, could be fatal if things go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

So missing the following from the full back line, Harrison, Keane, Cafferkey and Higgins.

That leaves Barrett.

Probably not name a full back as they did last year, let McLoughlin sweep and put Durkan in the corner.

Harrison is fine isn't he?

Just inexplicably left on the bench the last day alongside another current All Star

You MAY get kicked to the sideline.
    In croker, if you went with your own ST you'd get a decent seat, when I did the BAF I got pushed to the sides on 1 occassion and to the upper stand on the 2nd occassion.
    So if ST holders already book out McHale park stand then if u bring a friend they may give a sideline ticket then.

I think thats what might happen.

Don't want to leave stand, gone very soft now that I've gotten the season ticket. ;)

There's no tickets being circulated through club. Anyone know where I can get extra stand tickets. Tickets.ie says general admission tickets available.

jr86 wrote: »

Just inexplicably left on the bench the last day alongside another current All Star

Is he ?
    I've no idea.

I was just posting a worst case scenario.

After carefully booking dates that didn't class with Connaught final I'm away for this one :(
    I am trying to opt out but can't for the life of me manage to do it
    All I'm getting when I click into manage opt out is the summary of opt outs to date 0\1
    There is no option to click for an opt out ? It's such an archaic website!!!!!

• Advertisement

Bit odd alright. They must of forgot to update the opt out section. The attendance section is updated with the match. Maby they will do it later today as it would have to be done before Monday morning.

Bit odd alright. They must of forgot to update the opt out section. The attendance section is updated with the match. Maby they will do it later today as it would have to be done before Monday morning.

It is there now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

jr86 wrote: »

Had a broken nose from club duties the previous week I believe

Douglas, Irwin and Ruane gone to the US for the summer. Shame that none of them were part of the panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

That leaves Barrett.

Unless he picks up an injury between now and matchday Harrison will start.

Those meetings are par for the course after most defeats, no? You'd be more concerned if they weren't getting together to hash things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Those meetings are par for the course after most defeats, no? You'd be more concerned if they weren't getting together to hash things out.

The heading seems strange to me. Who was it a secret to if Rochford knew about it?!

The heading seems strange to me. Who was it a secret to if Rochford knew about it?!

I dunno. The public? The Connaught Telegraph are known **** stirrers though so they might be just making a story out of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I dunno. The public? The Connaught Telegraph are known **** stirrers though so they might be just making a story out of nothing.

yeah, it seems something of a sensationalist headline to me.

In saying that, it seems strange that Rochford was not part of the meeting. But I guess all players would have been 'released' back to their clubs for a few days.

• Advertisement

Prob told O'Shea to loose two stone to start with. Prob set up by Rockford as players will speak more if manager is not there

This will prob start a row but if we loose on sat does the rochford get the bullet??
    Two yrs in a row to loose to Galway

Aidan Henry as has been said here many many times is the Telegraphs wanna be Sun reporter. He is around long enough to know the meeting is par of the course and it wasn't secret.

The guy is and always has been a sh(Te stirrer with little to no interest in real news with regards Mayo GAA. Read John Melvins columns if you want some intelligent reporting.

Who is Rockford ?

km79 wrote: »
    Who is Rockford ?

1280px-Rockford_IceHogs.svg.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

km79 wrote:
    Who is Rockford ?

He's the Mayo document controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

naughto wrote: »
    This will prob start a row but if we loose on sat does the rochford get the bullet??
    Two yrs in a row to loose to Galway

Loose lips sink ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Maurice Deegan is going to be the man in the middle on Saturday evening.

Some very worrying rumours going round about injuries. If true, it could be a short summer.

• Advertisement

Some very worrying rumours going round about injuries. If true, it could be a short summer.

Who is being mentioned ?

Anyone other than AOS, Cafferkey and Keegan ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement