Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Not anyone new that I've heard of, more the length of time players are expected to be out.
    Could be all bs, people overreacting, etc., but have heard it from more than one person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

PressRun wrote: »
    Not anyone new that I've heard of, more the length of time players are expected to be out.
    Could be all bs, people overreacting, etc., but have heard it from more than one person.

So how long will players be out according to these rumours ?

No use just sticking it out there that you think it will be a short summer based on rumours you heard about injuries, tell us what you heard.

If it's BS then so what, no one will be after you for sources.

Keegan the season, AOS not likely to feature much either.
    I wouldn't mind, but we don't really have like for like replacements.

Like I say, could be nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PressRun wrote:
    Keegan the season, AOS not likely to feature much either. I wouldn't mind, but we don't really have like for like replacements.

That would be a disaster! Hopefully it's pony.

Stoner wrote: »
    That would be a disaster! Hopefully it's pony.

Hopefully. Keegan picked up an injury in a club game last week, but had heard at the time that it wasn't considered too serious. Unless something more came to light since then, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Keegan christ on a bike. Sure not

Keegan the season, AOS not likely to feature much either.
    I wouldn't mind, but we don't really have like for like replacements.

Like I say, could be nonsense.

Yep, that's bad alright if it's true

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

naughto wrote: »
    This will prob start a row but if we loose on sat does the rochford get the bullet??
    Two yrs in a row to loose to Galway

I'm a bit biased but I wouldn't consider losing to Galway 2 years running as a big deal, galway mayo games have always been pretty tight and a bit unpredictable. Haven't they both won the same number of games in the head to head?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

jam83 wrote: »
    I'm a bit biased but I wouldn't consider losing to Galway 2 years running as a big deal, galway mayo games have always been pretty tight and a bit unpredictable. Haven't they both won the same number of games in the head to head?

Losing to Galway I don't think should be the reason. Out of the championship on July 1st on the other hand.... yes I think he should go if we lose on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭boosabum

who would be the obvious or most likely replacement ?
    Not so many takers for a team that's on the downward curve.
    When Mayo were losing all irelands by a point there was lots of manager coming out saying how they would love to manage mayo and do this and that with them, different story if your out on your ear by July 1st beating at home by a second division side for the second time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

boosabum wrote: »
    who would be the obvious or most likely replacement ?
    Not so many takers for a team that's on the downward curve.
    When Mayo were losing all irelands by a point there was lots of manager coming out saying how they would love to manage mayo and do this and that with them, different story if your out on your ear by July 1st beating at home by a second division side for the second time

James Horan would be back! although something probably needs to be done to develop new talent

A write up on Mickey Moran in the Mayo News today. A good manager who probably overachieved with the group he had in Mayo at the time, imo. Deserved a lot better treatment than what he got from the county board that's for sure.

So, we're looking at being without Keith, and potentially Aidan O'Shea, Lee Keegan, Ger Cafferky and Chris Barrett for Saturday. We probably won't know until the day who's definitely fit and who isn't, but it's a fair few names to have to go without if it comes to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

So, we're looking at being without Keith, and potentially Aidan O'Shea, Lee Keegan, Ger Cafferky and Chris Barrett for Saturday. We probably won't know until the day who's definitely fit and who isn't, but it's a fair few names to have to go without if it comes to it.

Our whole fullback line....Christ that's not good. Hopefully Harrison is fit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Could be a real banana skin this one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I've abandoned my true vocation for the last couple of months with work distractions.:D

Ready to focus on the only thing that matters.

Mayo football:D

Looking like Saturday could be a real banana skin with all the injuries.Reports from around the place re Leeroy and Aidan tend indicate the recovery period from their injuries will be significant.It could be BS.

Can't wait for Saturday evening,hoping it won't be a short summer.

I've seen no details re the Saturday Game but my mate intimated that the Mayo Derry game would be televised.

seligehgit wrote: »

That "Goalies and their Parabolas" podcast was brilliant I thought, really good analysis of what may be going wrong and what may be going right.

I really don't think Derry are the banana skin that some think it might be

Sure the injury rumors are unsettling but they still should have plenty to see off Derry at home.

Derry lost by 11 to Tyrone, a team Mayo would be on a par with, if not better than.

At the end of the day they only lost to Galway, away by a point with 14 men for 50 mins

Are they a team that fill you with confidence, obviously not, but they did that all last year too and look how far they got.

The game is live on Saturday RTE 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

seligehgit wrote: »
    I've abandoned my true vocation for the last couple of months with work distractions.:D

Ready to focus on the only thing that matters.

Mayo football:D

Looking like Saturday could be a real banana skin with all the injuries.Reports from around the place re Leeroy and Aidan tend indicate the recovery period from their injuries will be significant.It could be BS.

Can't wait for Saturday evening,hoping it won't be a short summer.

I've seen no details re the Saturday Game but my mate intimated that the Mayo Derry game would be televised.

The injuries could be a blessing in disguise. That Mayo team needs some sort of shake-up. The injuries may force the management to do that shake-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Who'd come in though

Cafferky, has been injured and not really replaced anyway, they've been shaking that up for about 18 months at this stage

Keegan is the footballer of the year,

AOS is AOS everything from 8/14 combo to secret manager. Plus they have looked at plenty of midfield options

Who'd come in for those guys ? I think in all fairness to the management team they have been forced and trying to shake things up for a while now. I can't see three better options for Mayo

The injuries could be a blessing in disguise. That Mayo team needs some sort of shake-up. The injuries may force the management to do that shake-up.

The time for a shake up was the league.

But as pointed out in the podcast, the loss to Cavan, due to complacency perhaps, meant that they needed a full team for the last two games to guarantee safety.

Had they beaten Cavan they would have been safe and had two games to experiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

So who is definitely out? Trying to think of a rejigged backline?

So who is definitely out? Trying to think of a rejigged backline?

It's still a bit of a mystery as to who's in and out.Aidan O Shea is likely to be only good for at most twenty minutes action with his groin injury.

I believe Leeroy may be fit to play through the pain.Ger Caff I'm guessing is definitely out,Brendan Harrison I'd imagine will be fit.

Full back line

Harrison
    Keegan
    Barrett
    Vaughan
    Boyle
    Durkan
    Hazarding a guess,Vaughan and Keegan may alternate roles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

seligehgit wrote:
    Harrison Keegan Barrett Vaughan Boyle Durkan Hazarding a guess,Vaughan and Keegan may alternate roles.

That's still the best backline in the country IMO. We've got great depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Keegan if anyway injured and I think he is will not start. You cannot risk a player like him for Derry there could be more damage done to him just for 20mins.

Don't think it I'll be a banana skin game we should have plenty in the tank to see them off. The Galway game was a mess but with 14 we still nearly beat them with 15 I have no doubt we would have put them away

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Complacency and panic could kill us Saturday. We seem to be lacking confidence and that drive which helped us for the last few years.
    As above I think the injuries are a chance for lads to step up, the panel is still strong.
    We need to get off to a good start Saturday but we are wide open up the middle so that gap has to be closed.

The league experimentation was a disaster, experimenting with moving all stars into positions that were never going to work, should have blooded the new lads, but Rochford doesn't seem to have the balls to do that. Word is that all isn't as happy as it should be, time will tell on Saturday. Am expecting a win, but something doesn't sit right with me when u hear of Douglas, Irwin and Ruane heading off to USA.

yop wrote: »
    Complacency and panic could kill us Saturday. We seem to be lacking confidence and that drive which helped us for the last few years.
    As above I think the injuries are a chance for lads to step up, the panel is still strong.
    We need to get off to a good start Saturday but we are wide open up the middle so that gap has to be closed.

The league experimentation was a disaster, experimenting with moving all stars into positions that were never going to work, should have blooded the new lads, but Rochford doesn't seem to have the balls to do that. Word is that all isn't as happy as it should be, time will tell on Saturday. Am expecting a win, but something doesn't sit right with me when u hear of Douglas, Irwin and Ruane heading off to USA.

douglas wasnt on the team?

Squatman wrote: »

He was on the panel until after the Tyrone game

• Advertisement

Irwin's attitude wasn't right. Ruane isn't ready either. That's the big story there.

Anyway, I'm not overly optimistic about Saturday or the summer in general. See how it goes.

statto25 wrote: »
    He was on the panel until after the Tyrone game

the league panel. I know he played excellent football for mitchels, but i dont recall him ever playing well for mayo? (its easy to look like the best footballer in the land, if you opposition is poor - just look at the dub game last week for an example) whats your thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

That "Goalies and their Parabolas" podcast was brilliant I thought, really good analysis of what may be going wrong and what may be going right.

I really don't think Derry are the banana skin that some think it might be

Sure the injury rumors are unsettling but they still should have plenty to see off Derry at home.

Derry lost by 11 to Tyrone, a team Mayo would be on a par with, if not better than.

At the end of the day they only lost to Galway, away by a point with 14 men for 50 mins

Are they a team that fill you with confidence, obviously not, but they did that all last year too and look how far they got.

Thank you for the sermon Fr Tod, I'm feeling much much better now :)

I don't expect complacency or panic on Saturday, it's time for business as usual and I think the minds will be focused.

Every player wants to get to September with a passion so they will all attend to their allotted role and will put Derry away to set a marker.

I also expect to see a lot of long kickouts, keeping the Derry full contact sport to a minimum.

Anybody come across stand tickets for sale, there have been none via club, supervalu, tickets dot ie etc. Will they be on sale outside mchale do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Oldtree wrote: »
    Anybody come across stand tickets for sale, there have been none via club, supervalu, tickets dot ie etc. Will they be on sale outside mchale do you think?

I believe it's just one standard price ticket to anywhere in the ground.
    As long as you arrive early enough you should have your choice of spot in the stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I believe it's just one standard price ticket to anywhere in the ground.
    As long as you arrive early enough you should have your choice of spot in the stand.

Thank you. I think you are right as I just checked the season ticket email and it does say unreserved seating and mchale is an all seater stadium. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jasonroche123

any team named yet

• Advertisement

any team named yet

Not as yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The time for a shake up was the league.

But as pointed out in the podcast, the loss to Cavan, due to complacency perhaps, meant that they needed a full team for the last two games to guarantee safety.

Had they beaten Cavan they would have been safe and had two games to experiment.

I would add to that, (former) U21 champs or not, there isn't a whole pile outside of the current squad. It's not as if there will be 3-4 lads sitting at home this Saturday that you could say would shake things up or really add something.

We've done ok from that 21 team, more than ok at this moment in time imo. The only issue for me is that we've added to the squad rather than solving any problems/weaknesses within it. The only one I can think that should have gotten a better blooding was Loftus but I think the wise move is to bed him in over the next year or two.

Irwin hasn't got the head for it at present. Douglas has been unlucky imo but 3 managements have taken a look and not felt he has what was needed. Ruane has been sidelined pretty much since the County QF last year.

The only real shake up that was at hand was a tactical one imo, there was no one banging down the right door from what I saw.

I still think there's another good run in this team but don't there'll be a few hurdles knocked over on the. It won't be pretty and I'm just hoping we get a bit of momentum again.

the league panel. I know he played excellent football for mitchels, but i dont recall him ever playing well for mayo? (its easy to look like the best footballer in the land, if you opposition is poor - just look at the dub game last week for an example) whats your thoughts?

He didn't get enough time this year to make a mark. He got injured against NUIG and wasn't fit until March and by then Mayo were looking like being relegated so he didn't get a look in again. He is a great scoring forward, something we lack but a proper league run might have given him a better chance.

Yes Liam Irwin at the moment is not ready to buy into the commitment required to play at inter county level.

It was mentioned in the podcast re the lack of real opportunity Neil Douglas has been afforded.I'm not convinced by this argument,he's had some opportunities however limited under three management setups to secure a berth in the championship panel but failed to do so.It is a big step up from club to county and even as recently as the Connacht club semi final he was very poor against Corofin.

I've a sense there is clamouring to seek a magic wand for our inadequacies up front when it appears to not exist.

There was mention of Brian Reape who played relatively well in a Mayo under 21 team that were well beaten by Galway in the championship but there's little in the way of comparison with senior inter county football.

I don't know how Conor Loftus is going on training but in my opinion he is the forward who offers the greatest potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

3 different management teams have looked at Douglas and have decided he wasn't up to it

We don't know what his application at training , attitude etc etc were like. They do

That's enough for me

He is in danger of being turned into Gooch by not playing

Evan Regan was talked up and talked up in a similar vein ...........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

He hasn't been given a proper chance IMO. He did well in what he played and clicked in 1.6 for CBAR the last weekend he played.
    Ruane and Irwin are quality players and have not been handled correctly by the management team.

km79 wrote: »
    3 different management teams have looked at Douglas and have decided he wasn't up to it

We don't know what his application at training , attitude etc etc were like. They do

That's enough for me

He is in danger of being turned into Gooch by not playing

Evan Regan was talked up and talked up in a similar vein ...........

He has been given very little time; I started looking at MayoGAABlog pages and he got no championship runs and very little league runs.
    In the FBD he appeared a lot and returned a lot.

http://mayogaablog.com/?page_id=17168

Out of interest I actually went through it, Since 2011 he has played

FBD League U21 Champ
    Total Games 5 5 2 0
    Scores 01:10 00:02 00:11 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

He has been given very little time; I started looking at MayoGAABlog pages and he got no championship runs and very little league runs.

FBD League U21 Champ
    Total Games 5 5 2 0

Did he not miss large chunks of time due to his collarbone injury?

That can be a tricky enough injury in GAA to get over.

Knew a lad who broke his and it put an end to his club career after 2/3 years as it kept getting dislocated even in very innocuous tackles.

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Knew a lad who broke his and it put an end to his club career after 2/3 years as it kept getting dislocated even in very innocuous tackles.

He didn't get a run out in 2012, 13, 14, 16.

Boom__Boom wrote: »

I think you're thinking of Evan Regan or perhaps that's whom you're referencing,I don't recall Neil Douglas ever fracturing his collarbone whilst Evan Regan fractured his twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

What exactly is the problem with Liam Irwin in terms of his application or attitude? Does he carry this same issue with club?

He doesn't look in the best of shape the last time I saw him recently with his club.

All seems very strange on his part that he is not busting a gut to break through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

FBD League U21 Champ
    Total Games 5 5 2 0

Again why ?
    If he was a highly rated club defender not getting games ya could understand given the quality we have in the squad
    BUT
    He is a scoring club forward . The county managers have been crying out for another scoring forward but have continued to ignore him
    So...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Reading the article it seems like Douglas gave a huge amount of effort and a dickey hamstring didn't help his cause.

I have seen him play a couple of times and he is strong. He can create space to score and can distribute.

Can three sets of management be wrong on his ability?

Seems a shame if he has the potential not to bring him into the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TommyDe

Looking forward to this line-up announcement.
    If the rumours of all these injuries are true then the younger players should be chomping at the bit to get on the pitch and make a statement.
    This is the perfect game and a serious banana skin as Derry will be no push over.

Either way Rochford has to start with a more effective attacking line. And go all out at times. It's up to the forwards now to show how good they are.
    Up Mayo

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement