Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jasonroche123

team surely out tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Meanwhile in other Mayo GAA related news

https://twitter.com/MrNiallMcGarry/status/880503149982867456

Fair play to Niall McGarry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

seligehgit wrote: »
    I think you're thinking of Evan Regan or perhaps that's whom you're referencing,I don't recall Neil Douglas ever fracturing his collarbone whilst Evan Regan fractured his twice.

Yeah got mixed up - saw Regan's name and thought the conversation was about him.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Would it not be better to hire a commercial manager first to fund the centre of excellence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

naughto wrote: »
    Would it not be better to hire a commercial manager first to fund the centre of excellence
    Stop making sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Don't we already have a center of excellence??? Fantastic place when I was there last year. Why arn't we developing that further rather than building a new one???

Oldtree wrote: »
    Don't we already have a center of excellence??? Fantastic place when I was there last year. Why arn't we developing that further rather than building a new one???

Absolutely,the facility up in Bekan is top class.It makes little sense to be building a new one.

I do believe the employment of a commercial manager would be a very positive move,Mossie Quinn is employed in such a role for the Dubs with great benefits accruing if I'm not mistaken?There is undoubtedly great potential to further enhance the commercial potential and explore the goodwill of many within a county like Mayo with such an extensive diaspora.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

The commercial manager is a positive step.

Will this role double up on some of the work that the supporters club do or they will be separate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Oldtree wrote: »

Bekan belongs to Connacht GAA. Any of our county teams have to pay to use it.

statto25 wrote: »
    Bekan belongs to Connacht GAA. Any of our county teams have to pay to use it.

Fair point but it would be interesting to have a cost benefit analysis done on the such a mooted facility.Bekan is an impressive facility and on our doorstep.

Doesn't the Dublin team use the facilities out in Abbotstown?Not too sure about the financial implications in relation to same.

Definitely a case of putting the house before the cart as naughto mentioned.Best to put the commercial manager in place first.

Any sign of the team be named

No sign, I'm heading in to work so I won't be in a position to check the Mayo GAA Twitter account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Midwest are saying this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    No sign, I'm heading in to work so I won't be in a position to check the Mayo GAA Twitter account.

I've seen it seligehgit, it's fantastic.

Willie Joe Padden is back in! Noel Durkin is on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

New podcast available from the usual location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is there only the big game on in the Park tomorrow?

Is there only the big game on in the Park tomorrow?

Yep. The ladies Connacht finals are on Sunday which makes no sense as there would be a crowd there to support the ladies before the qualifier if played tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

seligehgit wrote:
    Absolutely,the facility up in Bekan is top class.It makes little sense to be building a new one.

The one in Bekan is run by the connaught council is it not? The other counties have centres of excellence exclusively for their use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

The one in Bekan is run by the connaught council is it not? The other counties have centres of excellence exclusively for their use
    Sligo and Leitrim only recently opened their GAA centres Roscommon have plans to build one and name it after the late Dermot Earley. With Mayo to now get their own centre and not use the Mayo based Connacht GAA centre you have to wonder is their bigger white elephant around than the one in Bekan?

• Advertisement

Yip see Statto's post on the top of the page.:)

seligehgit wrote: »
    Fair point but it would be interesting to have a cost benefit analysis done on the such a mooted facility.Bekan is an impressive facility and on our doorstep.

Doesn't the Dublin team use the facilities out in Abbotstown?Not too sure about the financial implications in relation to same.

Definitely a case of putting the house before the cart as naughto mentioned.Best to put the commercial manager in place first.

It will be a bit mad to have 2 facilities like this in Mayo. Maybe the one in Balla will be county teams only? Abbottstown is owned by the GAA rather than the Leinster council and they insist its open to everyone, but I'm sure at a cost.
    As you said a commercial manager should be put in place first and then start fundraising or looking for sponsors. A company name over the door in Balla would be worth a few quid to get the project rolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

It will be a bit mad to have 2 facilities like this in Mayo. Maybe the one in Balla will be county teams only? Abbottstown is owned by the GAA rather than the Leinster council and they insist its open to everyone, but I'm sure at a cost.
    As you said a commercial manager should be put in place first and then start fundraising or looking for sponsors. A company name over the door in Balla would be worth a few quid to get the project rolling.

I don't have an issue with 2 facilities in the County, but 2 facilities that close to each other seems a bit daft. Surely a location either closer to Castlebar or somewhere would make more sense. The only logic I can see is that the population density of the clubs tends to be greater that side of Mayo, but even still, Castlebar or its environs would be a far better pick - somewhere out between Castlebar and Foxford would be more central.
    And if we are to have a second one, having a commercial manager looking to tie up naming or sponsorship deals certainly would go a long way towards providing the funding needed for that.
    Bekan was selected as its probably the most central point in Connacht, having another COE only 25 minutes away (when the size of the county is taken into consideration) seems somewhat nonsensical.

any team

any team

David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
    Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
    Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites)
    Chris Barrett (Belmulet)
    Colm Boyle (Davitts)
    Lee Keegan (Westport)
    Patrick Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels)
    Seamus O’Shea (Breaffy)
    Tom Parsons (Charlestown)
    Fergal Boland (Aghamore)
    Diarmuid O’Connor (Ballintubber)
    Stephen Coen (Hollymount/Carramore)
    Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
    Cillian O’Connor (Ballintubber, captain)
    Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen).

So Colm Boyle is back in for Donal Vaughan.Great to see Brendan Harrison back in the corner.

Hopefully Ger Cafferkey and Lee Keegan are fully fit.

Blackjack wrote: »
    I don't have an issue with 2 facilities in the County, but 2 facilities that close to each other seems a bit daft. Surely a location either closer to Castlebar or somewhere would make more sense. The only logic I can see is that the population density of the clubs tends to be greater that side of Mayo, but even still, Castlebar or its environs would be a far better pick - somewhere out between Castlebar and Foxford would be more central.
    And if we are to have a second one, having a commercial manager looking to tie up naming or sponsorship deals certainly would go a long way towards providing the funding needed for that.
    Bekan was selected as its probably the most central point in Connacht, having another COE only 25 minutes away (when the size of the county is taken into consideration) seems somewhat nonsensical.

I don't have an issue either. Prenty was on a radio show or podcast a few weeks back and said that Bekan is in constant use between teams and schools each week so I would think there is demand for more all weather surfaces in the county especially in winter. He did mention that Bekan was chosen because it was the most central point in the province. Its also not far from where he lives but that's another story!

Solid team and should have no issues tomorrow as long as all are fit. Looking forward to it

I don't have an issue either. Prenty was on a radio show or podcast a few weeks back and said that Bekan is in constant use between teams and schools each week so I would think there is demand for more all weather surfaces in the county especially in winter. He did mention that Bekan was chosen because it was the most central point in the province. Its also not far from where he lives but that's another story!

Yeah Bekan has been quite busy I understand, so the demand is there for more pitches to be made available, i just think Balla is the wrong place for it.

O'Shea will start and coen will be in Keegans place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Blackjack wrote: »
    Yeah Bekan has been quite busy I understand, so the demand is there for more pitches to be made available, i just think Balla is the wrong place for it.

Last year there was talk of 2 new all weather pitches going in at Bekan. Loads of space around it for lots more development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Can't make the game back home as I'm stuck in Dublin with work. Anyone know of a good spot to watch it in the city centre? (with volume etc..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

PressRun wrote: »
    Also, don't think the prognosis for Aidan O'Shea's injury is too good. Not improving as quickly as you'd like, apparently. Struggled for Breaffy at the weekend.

Will he be picking the goalman :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Agree with everything Billie Joe said about Mayo's kicking game
    It's gone too far the other way and we have lost what's made us brilliant

He is a very good analyst
    Should be on the Sunday game a bit imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Can't make the game back home as I'm stuck in Dublin with work. Anyone know of a good spot to watch it in the city centre? (with volume etc..)

The living room on Cathal Brugha street (just off O'connell street) should have volume for it. If not, ask them and they will put it on. I watched Monaghan - down there last Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

SeanJ09 wrote: »

The woolshed on Parnell Street is good for soccer, not sure about their GAA leanings though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Yeah +1 on the Living Room and Sinnotts by Stephens Green always show GAA and have plenty of big screens, as well as perfect volume. They've so many screens they'll pretty much show any sport

I personally can't stand the Woolshed myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

jr86 wrote:
    I personally can't stand the Woolshed myself!

Agreed

Pitch is in great nick,touch of wind.Perfect playing conditions.

• Advertisement

None of us seen that team starting !!!

I've a feeling Aidan will be starting FF

Kevin McLoughlin
    Frees
    We have learned nothing

Only for Derry Fouling we'd be struggling big time- Lots to think about too many players doing too little

O shea being assaulted every time he goes near the ball
    I await Whelans analysis

Very worrying, extremely poor first half performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JMurphy84

Who is the co-commentator, annoying pr**k!

• Advertisement

JMurphy84 wrote: »

Benny Tierney former Armagh Goalie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

km79 wrote: »
    Kevin McLoughlin
    Frees
    We have learned nothing
    Hopefully thats the end of that......

It should have ended long ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

JMurphy84 wrote: »

Benny tierney from Armagh - on RTÉ

blinding wrote: »

Not his fault- Managemnet should've seen it long ago, Time to bring loftus in perhaps for Boland Even throw in evan Reagen cause we need soemthing different atm

blinding wrote: »

It won't be though

First free on that side in next game and he will take and miss it again

It should have stopped with the 14 yard free misses against donegal in 2012 final

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement